[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would people in a setting with dinosaurs love dinosaurs as much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
Would people in a setting with dinosaurs love dinosaurs as much as people do now?
>>
File: archeopteryx by simonstalenhag.jpg (341 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
archeopteryx by simonstalenhag.jpg
341 KB, 1920x1080
The fact that they are extinct probably adds to the mystery, and therefore appeal, for most people. But personally? Yes.
>>
People would feel the same about dinosaurs in that world as we feel about animals in this world. Which is to say: we would have many different opinions about many different dinosaurs.
>>
>>43576568
Depends on how common they are and have been.
>>
>>43576873
For example: you could waste your day watching videos of cute elasmosaurii frolicking in the surf, or stroke the feathers on your fancy velociraptor and call it a good poofball because he's fuzzy wuzzy. Or you could read about a new recipe that calls for pachyasaurus bacon wrapped Dilaposaurus steaks, them watch a documentary about the struggles of the critically endangered tyrannosaurus, hunted to the verge of extinction...

But: the names would be very different.
>>
Probably not. Familiarity breeds contempt.

The wolf is considered a noble and majestic creature, except for by farmers who live near them. Deer are considered graceful and beautiful, until they start eating your garden.
>>
File: IfIHadARaptor.jpg (26 KB, 277x239) Image search: [Google]
IfIHadARaptor.jpg
26 KB, 277x239
>>43576568
No, they'd be like... I don't know, elephants?
There are people who really love elephants but most people don't care a whole lot.

I think the number of movies you see where people are killed by a vicious murder-obsessed carnivore would be the same because no one understands basic animal behavior in any universe.

On the bright side, some people would have tiny feathered raptors for pets and that would be cool.
>>
>>43576568

Being extinct adds to the mystique. It also keeps what this anon >>43577025 said from happening.

A lot of our heroes in entertainment died young, because as they get older and the blush comes off the rose, you have to integrate their over-the-hill career into your impression of them.

Example: we all think Natalie Dormer is fucking hot. Right? But the woman who plays her grandmother on Game of Thrones was in her day unbelievably hot (and actually resembles Dormer). Do yourself a favor, go google Diana Rigg, especially on youtube. You'll fap, and I'm including the straight ladies here, because she's just that beautiful and sexy and elegant and brilliant.

The point is, your mental image of Diana Rigg will always include the elderly woman she became. Scintillating, amazing to watch, sure, but not traditionally hot. Whereas Marilyn Monroe will always be young and beautiful. Elvis got old and fat, Jimi Hendrix will always be young and promising.

Similarly, the dinosaurs are off-stage, so they can be whatever we want them to be in our minds. If they were around IRL, they'd be just another large nuisance animal.
>>
Side note:
Any systems that have included or allow for dinos?
>>
>>43578001
RIFTS
>>
>>43576568
Some of them, maybe. We'd probably have domesticated (Non-JP, the turkey-sized) Velociraptors and we'd definitely have wiped out the larger carnivores before the concept of ecological preservation could ever occur to some random stone age shaman.
And we'd have been trying unsuccessfully to wipe out the smaller herbivores eating our crops and the giant goddamn insects.
>>
>>43577025
People love doggies.
>>
I've never been into birds so probably not.

I would fucking adore a sea scorpion or a trilobites though.
>>
>>43578001
>Side note:
>Any systems that have included or allow for dinos?

No, every single system only allows you to play humans, elfs, or dorfs. There definitely wasn't an official RPG for Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, and there's no such thing as the Broncosaurus Rex RPG.

In fact, there aren't any results on the other side of this link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dinosaur+tabletop+rpg
>>
It'd become a thing where some dinos are considered cute and fun while others are considered dangerous; and these two designations may be entirely arbitrary and based on looks.

Example would be how cute people think hippos are despite them being shit flinging monsters that kill more people than lions do. Or how we are scared of every shark out there despite killer whales being just as dangerous if they wanted to.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.