[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a First time GM and I need System and Module Suggestions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 1381126488683.png (176 KB, 377x377) Image search: [Google]
1381126488683.png
176 KB, 377x377
Sup /tg/. I'm going to be GM'ing for the first time soon and I want to start simple. So I was wondering what a good system for general fantasy might be? (besides DnD and Savage Worlds. We're a bit burnt out on those two.)

I've been thinking about using Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, the Storyteller System (WoD, VtM, etc) or possibly RuneQuest. Are there any systems you think would be better?

On top of that, if there are any brief, but fun modules you could recommend to a first time GM that would be awesome.

-and lastley if you have any advice for a fledgling GM, it would be much appreciated.

Peace.
>>
bumpin cause I'm plummeting into obscurity.
>>
>>43550697
GURPS
>>
>>43551511
Why GURPS? Over say- Savage worlds?
>>
>>43551940

It's a meme answer -- every time someone asks for a system recommendation, somebody says GURPS and somebody says FATAL.
Still, GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is pretty good.

If you want a simple fantasy game to run, check out Dungeon World. It requires the GM to learn to think on his feet, but makes for a fun sit-down-and-play rules lite dungeon crawler.

http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/srd/dungeonworld
>>
>>43551940
Not him. I've only played savage worlds a few times so bear that in mind for my response which is mostly personal preference.

I like a strong character creation in the games I run and play. I hate systems that assign stats by each type of dice arbitrarily, make you pick "Three words that embody your character" or spend like 10 points on skills or whatever. Generally quick character creation, rules lite GMing, and "pick up and play" mentality means a generally unfulfilled experience because nobody generally takes the time to think about what they are putting into the game.

I've literally never had a bad game of GURPS.
>>
>>43550697
I tried Legend of the Five Rings last night, it was OK.

The whole thing is here
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/vx477quhxz4vt/Regend5Ling#btf4cvsidtj6ff
http://www.l5r.com/rpg/ has a quick start module
I used the Quick start module and had my friends roll 2d8 for the characters. There's also a fanmade module but I don't know how it performs

On another group I've used Basic Fantasy, since they're all new to RPGS except for one.
http://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads.html
Free, simple, and the Morgansfort module is solid in my opinion. But its basically DnD so might not be to your liking.
>>
I haven't personally played or run it, but from what I've heard/read Dungeon World is pretty easy to get a handle on as a GM
>>
>>43550697
Do a WoD game. Flexible as fuck to have as many or as few dice rolls as you want.

Fairly simple as well.
>>
>>43550697
Barbarians of Lemuria if you want a general fantasy system that's easy to learn.

For really fun modules with a horror/fantasy feel, all the published ones for Lamentations of the Flame Princess are pretty well written. You should also look up the 1-page dungeon contests.
>>
>>43552319
>>43552459
>>43552560
>>43553048
These Were some good suggestions. Thank y'all. I was worried for a sec that there wasn't going to be any thoughtful answers.
>>
>>43553827
Ooh, what are the 1-page dungeon contests from? A magazine, I imagine?
>>
>>43553048
>Do a WoD game.
for fantasy?
>>
RuneQuest 6th Ed routs slightly less complex brother Magic World both are D100 based on Chaosiums BRP
>>
File: mahnigga.jpg (42 KB, 300x226) Image search: [Google]
mahnigga.jpg
42 KB, 300x226
>>43554080
>RuneQuest
>>
>>43554080
I've heard good things, I might just go with that one. I have a guy in the party who really likes the battle system, and kinda has a hateboner for DND, so it'd probably be good.

What's it entail, really?
>>
>>43551940
Because it's not shit
>>
>>43554356

Here you go: http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/resources/RuneQuest%20Essentials.pdf
>>
File: youtried.png (80 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
youtried.png
80 KB, 500x475
>>43554363

Solid argument, anon! You sure won me over slinging those hot opinions.
>>
>>43550697
Lamentations of the Flame Princess. Use the module The God That Crawls. /osrg/'s trove can hook you up. Its a straightforward old school system with clean rules and a strong aesthetic, and the module is a 10/10 built for the system.
>>
>>43550697
Try this:
http://talislanta.com/?page_id=5

Fourth edition is best edition, and it's one book with errrything. The system is fairly light and easy to learn both for players and GMs, magic is fucking brilliant, and the setting is excellent.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.