[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I tell if I'm a bad player /tg/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2
File: 1404518144239s.jpg (7 KB, 243x249) Image search: [Google]
1404518144239s.jpg
7 KB, 243x249
>>
do you listen to rule 0?
>>
>>43549355
I do
>>
>win all the time
>people get short with you

>make bonehead plays all the time
>people get sarcastic at you
>>
>>43549335
If you're asking the question, you probably aren't.
Those Guys have no self-awareness of their Thatness.
>>
>>43549395
then your a ok player in my book
>>
Are you actively engaged in the game?
Do you show up on time?
Are you a spastic fumble-fingered incompetent that can't control how hard he rolls dice?
Do you bathe yourself and have even basic levels of hygiene?
Do you screw over other PCs without actual in-game legit reasons that don't include supercilious "muh edge" arguments?

If the answer to any of these questions is "yes", then I'm afraid I have some bad news.
>>
>>43549335

>This is probably a bad idea, but I'm going to do it anyways.
>Hey guys, let's plan out what our characters will do next session.
>Enter a room and loot everything in lieu of actual roleplaying because "my character likes ____".
>Your first course of action is to attack when approached with someone you don't know.

If you are guilty of any of these, you're probably a bad player. I am unfortunate to have a player in my DH campaign that is guilty of all of them.
>>
>>43549335

You can't. Bad players can be bad for a number of reasons - lacking self awareness, lacking intelligence, behaving antisocially - and any of these will make a player unable to honestly and accurately size themselves up.

If you're lucky then one of your group will explain to you if you're a bad player. This is uncommon though because neckbeards tend to shy away from taking someone to task, and they'll just bitch about you behind your back instead. Most likely you'll receive one or two pointed comments and you'll have to read between the lines - but if you're a bonehead or an asshole you won't be capable of that in the first place, so you're screwed again.
>>
>>43549524
>>This is probably a bad idea, but I'm going to do it anyways.

This one is probably the most common. Players want to see what happens, and fuck the rest of the party, because who cares about them right?
>>
>>43549335

I think I realized I'm a bad player when the GM screamed, "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!" at me;_;
>>
>>43549695

*former GM*
I'm not in that group anymore of course.
>>
>>43549524
>>This is probably a bad idea, but I'm going to do it anyways.
Because my character would totally do it
>>Hey guys, let's plan out what our characters will do next session.
So we don't spend a useless amount of time at the beginning of the next session since our characters will do it anyway
>>Enter a room and loot everything in lieu of actual roleplaying because "my character likes ____".
So you can't be a kleptomaniac rogue?
>>Your first course of action is to attack when approached with someone you don't know.
Yeah okay for that one
>>
>Chaotic neutral
>>
>>43549524
>roleplaying
Roleplaying is overrated. PnP doesn't need that to be good, rollplay and dungeon crawls are just as good.
>>
>>43550972
>my shitty opinions are really facts
>>
>>43550972
Why not just play a video game?
>>
>>43551780
Video games are limited. PnP have infinite dungeons of any theme.

>>43551704
>my shitty opinions are really facts
>>
>>43549406
This is mostly true
>>
>>43551825
I would agree with you, except for the fact that even if you cut any roleplaying out, PnP would take a lot longer than videogames, which allows most of any dicerolling and still checking to be in the background.
>>
>>43549335
If you know who That Guy in your group is, you're fine. If no one sprang to mind, you are That Guy.
>>
>>43549406
>>43553501
These. It's some kind of Dunning-Kruger shit. The skilled underestimate themselves and are riddled with self-doubt, while the unskilled overestimate themselves and are filled with undue confidence.
>>
>>43553501
What if there is no That Guy?
>>
>>43553703
Not impossible, but infinitesmally unlikely. Someone will be the bottom of any particular barrel.
>>
>>43553755
No. That's not what That Guy is. It's not a constant, it's an anomaly. That Guy is not "The 'worst' of us", it's "The guy that don't belongs".
>>
>>43553501
What if my current group is 2 and a DM?
>>
>>43553840
Then you disregard /tg/ and think for yourself instead of perpetuating the meme.
>>
File: Dingushead-final.gif (166 KB, 970x1257) Image search: [Google]
Dingushead-final.gif
166 KB, 970x1257
>>43549609
I'm sometimes haunted by a missed opportunity to do this.
>Playing DnD 4e back in 2008.
I know
>Party enters some room with a demonic ritual in progress.
>We can stop it if we can reach some magguffin on a pedastal and say the magic words.
>Playing an elf ranger
I know
>elf-tier mobility gets me over there in time
>Should I say the words or should we fight some sweet demons?
I say the words. There are no sweet demons to fight. We kill all the fanatical cultists who flipped their shit about the ceremony.

I'll never forget the look on the DMs face.
>>
>>43549809
I think I found him.
>>
>>43549355
what is rule 0?
>>
>>43549524
But that's wrong.
>>
>>43553989
for christ's sake it's the first google result
>>
>>43552409
That doesn't oppose what I said, though. Time is not a factor, at all.
>>
>>43549524
>This is probably a bad idea, but I'm going to do it anyways.
If it's to avoid metagaming, that's fine.
>Hey guys, let's plan out what our characters will do next session.
I'm not sure what you mean with this one.
>>
>>43553703
It can be a matter of degrees. Even a person you like can be the that guy of the group because they don't really get along well with the DM or start problems in character. Or the That Guy can be kicked out, and you think there's no new That Guy, but the position just shifts to whoever is most annoying next, as in one game where a guy briefly joined and then left.

That doesn't mean the That Guy isn't someone you can deal with in that situation - just that there's never not one.
>>
>>43554125
Videogames are just easier despite their limits. And PnP is as much a social game as anything else.
>>
>>43549485
This is either bait or you forgot what you were doing by the third line, then remembered for a line, then forgot again.
>>
>>43554649
>Being engaged
>Showing up on time
>Practicing basic hygene
Wow what a loser.
>>
>>43549524
>This is probably a bad idea but I'm going to do it anyways

I'm guilty of this but it's mostly because my character is an alcoholic that is usually pretty sloshed.
>>
>>43549399
>fuck up a lot with my characters
>never get taken seriously and get mocked when I try to do something cool

It hurts
>>
>>43549809
cough cough
>>
>session devolves into arguing and ends on a strained note
>not sure if you could have done more or should have done less to curb the arguing
>>
>>43549406
This is very accurate. This is actually accurate with most things in life.
>>
>>43549524
>>Hey guys, let's plan out what our characters will do next session.
What's the problem with this?
>>
>>43549335

You are a bad player if you don't enjoy the game, while everyone else is.
You're similarly bad if your participation detracts from the enjoyment of others.

There is no other real barometer for these things, as different groups of people like different things.
I have a good friend who, in yesterday's game, was horribly out of character and distracting, talking loudly with other people, to the point that the DM couldn't really have an IC chat with another PC.
Now, the DM was pretty bad, the other player was similarly bored, but that doesn't excuse the disruption, it just means it's not wholly to blame for the overall poor quality of the game until he had to leave for other stuff.
>>
>>43553643
I've been in several groups where That Guy asked if he was That Guy. The problem is that a lot of GMs don't want to be confrontational, so they just lie to them.
>>
>>43555764
I know that feel, man.
It's true suffering. That's why I stuck with being a GM instead of a player.
>>
>>43549335
People stop inviting you over.
>>
>>43553794
I go with the saying that predates /tg/ by a long time. You're free to be wrong with your newfangled narrow definition.
>>
If everyone but you is That Guy, do you That yourself up?
>>
>>43560752
It's the exact same situation as angsty college kids thinking society is the problem.
>>
>>43560752
If it's a game of retarded ThatGuys and they all have fun together, by not being a That Guy, you are ThatGuy if you're negatively affecting their enjoyment of the game.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.