[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interesting elements and concepts of RPG design
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: rpg design patterns.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
rpg design patterns.pdf
1 B, 486x500
i want to make it a recurring thread
list them with name / short definition, at least one source (possibly the earliest or most famous) and, if you want, a description
this is NOT the place to debate whether an element is good or bad, clever or stupid. if you want to discuss its quality, open another thread
this is just a list of things you deem noteworthy
these are what I've got till now

special pc ribbon / that one unique thing / focus (13th age, the strange)
important game world elements linking to pc / icons (13th age)
dynamic initiative / popcorn initiative (angrydm.com)
simultaneous initiative / fair and clear initiative (trollbabe, the shadows of yesterday)
intentional conflict focusing / series / bringing down the pain (trollbabe, the shadows of yesterday)
dissociated mechanics (thealexandrian.net)
bounded accuracy / red queen's race problem (dnd5e, fate, many others)
simple dice based bonus and malus / advantage and disadvantage (dnd5e)
static conflict resolution (powered by the apocalypse games)
single modifier or score type check type (fate)
randomized modifier or score (savage worlds)
character or roleplaying driven advancement / keys (the shadows of yesterday)
bell curve randomization / strong median randomization (fate, gurps)
metagame checks altering resource / action points / conviction points (eberron, true20, many others)
character driven checks altering resource / fate points (fate)
no intelligence score (sorcerer)
abilities divided in combat, exploration, interaction or similar (taverntalesrpg.com, dnd4e)
scene or encounter and chapter or adventure as temporal unit in game mechanics (fate, dnd multiple editions, many others)
stunt dice / extra pc option payed at the moment / raising the stakes (e6 raising the stakes)
generic score with multiple interpretations or fluff / approaches / trappings / cliché (fae, fate, risus, many others)
simple challenges builder / fronts (dungeon world)
auto damage to mooks / fray dice (scarlet heroes)
>>
>>43538049
I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text. I made a wall of text that I will make you read now, and the topic doesn't matter because it is a wall of text.
>>
>>43538049
bump
>>
>>43540074
give it up

to make this interesting you have to break it up, make a compelling OP for the next thread, and don't sound like you just want people to congratulate you on your eloquent research
>>
>>43540106
I don't sound like anything
no time to treat /tg/ like a bunch of children
it is already interesting, to me
no time to market threads on anonymos boards
>>
>>43540155
k then
bai
>>
File: 1446572024385.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1446572024385.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>43540155
I am interested, but OP does not supplement the tools to start a discussion. Maybe create a better structured post with more info and your own thoughts so we can start discussing things.

I am not the other guy who replied
>>
>>43538049
CAPITALISEYOURSHITYOUGOD-DAMNDIRTYANIMALTHISISWHATIT'SLIKETOREADYOURGARBAGENOTFUNISITCOCKBANDIT?
>>
>>43540222
no need to tools or structure
it is a simple thread
you've got lot of examples
it is not feasible to spend 1000 words for everyone of them
my thoughts are already here
my examples are things that I think are interesting
it is problem OP warned against derailing and flaming and gave a clear direction to thread?
>>
>>43540439
>OP
hi OP
>>
>>43540632
>hi OP
Original Poster OR Original Post, lurk moar
>>
>>43540820
hi op
>>
Interesting,also add donjon to that list
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.