[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
in pathfinder would a character that has a class ability that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: mimura_EyeOfFlameBeholder.jpg (66 KB, 351x450) Image search: [Google]
mimura_EyeOfFlameBeholder.jpg
66 KB, 351x450
in pathfinder would a character that has a class ability that makes them immune to disease also be immune to addiction
>>
>>43534612
Considering you can have gay paladins I would say no.
>>
>>43534612
I think there was an old 3.5 splat that covered this... I think it was POISON immunity that made you immune to addiction (At least for most drugs) but it did that by having them not work on you at all
>>
>>43534612
IIRC addiction in Pathfinder is specific to each addictive substance, but the majority of them are classed as diseases so by the rules yes.

It makes for a fun idea of paladins popping loads of drugs, but sadly by and large there are no really effective combat/social drugs in PF.
>>
File: DeeSnider.jpg (22 KB, 200x293) Image search: [Google]
DeeSnider.jpg
22 KB, 200x293
>>43534612

>the disease model of addiction
>>
>>43534649
This makes sense. Addiction as a disease is not actually a literal medical term, it is just that addiction is often analogous to disease and is meant to drive home the fact that one does not choose to become addicted to a substance, but rather chooses to expose one's self to it, and then can become addicted, after which point it is beyond their control (to an extent). Much like disease, where one may expose one's self to a source of disease (although often unintentionally, differing from substance abuse) and if they are infected it is beyond their control (to an extent). The key is to remove the guilt and shame from the idea of addiction being caused by the addict, which most believe is necessary for successful recovery.
>>
No, being disease immune does not stop people from choosing to take drugs.
>>
>>43534612
You can still have an addictive personality.
>>
>>43534612
No
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/diseases
>From a widespread plague to the bite of a dire rat, disease is a serious threat to common folk and adventurers alike. Diseases rarely have a limited frequency, but most have a lengthy onset time. This onset time can also be variable. Most diseases can be cured by a number of consecutive saving throws or by spells such as remove disease.
>Note: Not everything listed here is a true "disease" as some of the below are more accurately described as infections, parasites, or other unfortunate maladies adventurers might occasionally have to cope with.
>>
>>43541184 correcting myself here.
While drugs are officially categorized as poison and not disease in 3.5e, I looked it up in pathfinder and in fact they are not, they have their own category called drugs
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/drugs
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/campaign-traits/curse-of-the-crimson-throne/drug-addict

However, it seems that I was wrong, as stupid as it is, in pathfinder addiction is a disease and is curable by the remove disease spell
>As addictions are diseases, they can be cured as such, through the use of spells like remove disease or by succeeding at Fortitude saves over time. Unlike with other diseases, an addicted character can only make a Fortitude save to overcome his addiction after a day of not taking the drug he is addicted to. The DC of this Fortitude save is equal to the highest addiction DC his drug use has reached (not necessarily the DC that addicted him if he has continued to make use of the drug while addicted). This DC decreases by –2 for everyday the character does not make use of the drug, to a minimum of the drug’s base addiction DC.
>Depending on the severity of the character’s addiction, it might take two or three consecutive successful Fortitude saves to overcome the disease. Should a character take a dose of the drug he’s addicted to, he immediately relapses, causing the addiction DC to instantly return to its highest DC and negating any successful past saves.
>>
>>43534646
>Considering you can have gay paladins I would say no.
>>43541269
>>As addictions are diseases, they can be cured as such, through the use of spells like remove disease

You know, logically these two should combine to mean there are no gays, furries, pedophiles, and potentially not even sodomites.
The fact that remove disease removes addiction shows it can and will modify the mind of the target to fit social norms of "addiction is bad", makes sense since it is power that comes from a god. However under such logic there is no reason that gays wouldn't just get "cured" early during their "unsure" phase by a priest so that there is never a chance for the "gay is normal and beautiful" faction to take root in society.
>>
>>43541657
taken further, it would vary by which gods are worshipped.
For example, the elf chief deity is gender fluid. so he probably doesn't consider it a disease. While human gods are more... well, traditionally human
And then orcs probably consider it a disease to NOT pillage and rape.

And during their life, someone is bound to get a disease or another that would require the local village shaman/cleric to cast remove disease on them. For elves it would remove the "disease" of homophobia, for orcs it would remove the diseases of "romance" and "consentitis" and sodomy, and for most humans gods (and thus nations) it would remove all forms of sodomy.
>>
File: gay-greeks-II.jpg (26 KB, 200x326) Image search: [Google]
gay-greeks-II.jpg
26 KB, 200x326
>>43541657
What if you're in a society like ancient Rome?
>>
And that was the day that there sprung up actual factions and legions of "Social Justice Warriors" who are actually paladins.
>>
>>43541749
After making my post there I thought the same thing and I answered it in >>43541731
>>
>>43541770
>And that was the day that there sprung up actual factions and legions of "Social Justice Warriors" who are actually paladins.
Oh god, it would actually work! they chase down their enemies, capture them, and forcibly cast remove disease on them!
>>
>>43541801
Especially for the twin diseases of bigotry and tolerance. The supremecists capture the tolerant deviants and remove disease on them to turn them into bigots
The tolerants capture bigots and remove disease on them to turn them into SJWs
>>
>SJWs are a legitimate force of authority in D&D
What have you done /tg/
>>
>>43541731

Does this mean that I can worship the Edgiest of Lords and have cure disease that kills people?
>>
>>43542010
>Does this mean that I can worship the Edgiest of Lords and have cure disease that kills people?
Isn't that just an inflict/harm spell?
>>
>>43542037

Those would be spells that extend life yes.
>>
>>43542072

.... Functional Magic is fun, particularly when arguments turn out to massively change effects.

I'm still smiling about the spell that hurts Black Mage, no arguments necessary.
>>
>>43541657
>No furries
I kinda doubt a setting like FR or Galorion would really have furries. There are so many sentient "beast" races that a culture centered around fetishizing them would have as little chance of gaining notable traction as, say, a sub-culture focused around fetishizing albinos or preferring Chesterfield cigarettes. Meaning: People who like these things very much exist but they lack the cornerstones of a true subculture such as specific dress codes, lingo and patterns of behaviour.

>>43534646
I wonder if Agoraphobia could be cured with that. Or any other mostly-mental affliction.
>>43541731
Ye that's kinda how it works in my setting. The goddess of procreation has a - to some - somewhat questionable affinity towards making the upper tiers of her cleric's healing skills "re-align" the orientations of homosexuals towards the middle of the spectrum. The other deities in the pantheon were far from enthused about this so the ability is rapidly dying out, and those who can use it officially do so only on request.
>>
>>43542247
>I kinda doubt a setting like FR or Galorion would really have furries. There are so many sentient "beast" races
A furry is not someone who thinks that faps to "beast races", that is just a xenophile.
A furry is someone who has a fursona, either believing himself to be a beastman trapped in a human body (often with some new age reincarnation bullshit), or just being a misanthrope and hating his human body and wishing he could be a beast bodied individual.

Also, just because they exist for real doesn't mean bestiality is suddenly not frowned upon.
>>
>>43542247
>The other deities in the pantheon were far from enthused about this so the ability is rapidly dying out, and those who can use it officially do so only on request.
Wow, what a bunch of faggy SJW deities.
>>
>>43542312

I can't wait for the wood elf who really wants to drow.

Largely because Out of Universe, black facing gives me a shit eating grin.
>>
>>43541657
>the target to fit social norms of "addiction is bad"

No, addiction is bad because it destroys your life. That's pretty much the definition, brah.

Being a pedophile may destroy the life of you or others. Being gay can't, if you simply use a condom.
>>
>>43542400

well, in so much as pedophilia implies one is a rapist (which is a fuckton ton, particularly in this context.)
>>
>>43542312
>Also, just because they exist for real doesn't mean bestiality is suddenly not frowned upon.
All else aside, is it really bestiality when it's with a sentient?
>A furry is someone who has a fursona, either believing himself to be a beastman trapped in a human body (often with some new age reincarnation bullshit), or just being a misanthrope and hating his human body and wishing he could be a beast bodied individual.
...I just realized. There are probably a gigaton of Druidaboos because of that.
>>43542334
>Wow, what a bunch of faggy SJW deities.
Well, the deity of law considers it an undue alteration of a person's thinking, similarly to using some kind of mind altering spell. It doesn't really care about what gets altered, only the principle of the matter. The deity of hedonism and inspiration just wants people to feel pleasure of whatever kind and considers life deity to be a meddling bitch. The others are split on the issue or neutral.
>>43542400
>No, addiction is bad because it destroys your life. That's pretty much the definition, brah.
I think his implication was that it would dial the addiction back to just being a bad habit.
>>
>>43542453
>The deity of hedonism and inspiration just wants people to feel pleasure of whatever kind
Then he should be all for fixing gays, as it increases their prospects 50 fold.
>>
>>43542582
>Then he should be all for fixing gays, as it increases their prospects 50 fold.
Which is not going to happen due to logistical and the other reasons mentioned. In practice it means there's another homo not getting laid, which is against said god's interests.

Plus there is some personal animosity between them related to attempts to subsume the domain of First Love which ultimately resulted in neither getting it, so reasonable or not they don't much like one another.
>>
>>43542672
>Which is not going to happen due to logistical and the other reasons mentioned. In practice it means there's another homo not getting laid, which is against said god's interests.
You misread prospects to mean actual sexual encounters
Actually logsitics work against them. Fixing a faggot means he goes from "extremely unlikely to find a partner" to much more likely simply because of the difficulty of logistics and how the fact that 99% of the potential partners are outright rejected by a faggot. (either for being female or for being straight males instead of gay males)
>>
>>43542400
If you live in a homophobic society you could be subjected to oppression, abuse, violence and threat of death. Your relations with everyone you know will suffer, you might be shunned by family and friends, overwhelmed with loneliness, etc. Your life would be ruined because you can't bring yourself to stop fucking the wrong gender. You'd be just as bad off as the pedophile
>>
>>43542744
>Actually logsitics work against them.
I meant the logistics of performing this healing rite on everyone.
>>43542759
Has that ever been this bad anywhere/anytime outside of islamic nations? Not challenging your view, just interested.
>>
>>43542858

...... PPFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTT

Stonewall you shit head.

Stop trying to pin everything on the muslims.
>>
>>43542858
That kind of thing has happened in america, it's just not institutionalized. Bigotry happens everywhere.
>>
>>43542899
Meh I guess.
>>
>>43542858
>>You will receive negative peer pressure
>Has that ever been this bad anywhere/anytime outside of islamic nations?
uh, what? Islamic nations outright EXECUTE homosexuals on the spot.
he is describing the normal life conditions of homosexuals in liberal western nations.
the "could be subjected to violence" is grossly exaggerated and refers mostly to teen bullying
the "could be subjected to death" is referring to the 1:10,000,000 chance of you being murdered for being a faggot in the USA (at which point your killer goes to jail), rather than the 1:1 chance in islamic nations where your killer will get a medal
>>
>>43542759
Right, but then it's the society destroying your life. If you're addicted to heroin then it will destroy you whether or not people find out about it.
>>
>>43544576
Then the same argument can be made for the pedophile.
>>
File: disapproval turtle.png (33 KB, 545x500) Image search: [Google]
disapproval turtle.png
33 KB, 545x500
>>43544640

>implying pedophiles don't harm anyone else
>>
>>43543114

oh wow, I can really smell your shit on those numbers.
>>
>>43546085
>oh wow, I can really smell your shit on those numbers.
It was a guesstimate you piece of shit faggot, but ok, lets check this out, you are clearly a liberal faggot so lets use one of the first results on google
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/02/lgbt-homicides_n_6993484.html
14 LGBT murders in 2015 in the USA. a country of 320 million people.
comes out to 1 in 22.85 million. Even rarer than my guesstimate of 1 in 10 million. And I said homosexuals and LGBT are not all homosexuals.

Or if you were decrying the muslim thing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Saudi_Arabia
Faggotry literally carries the death sentence.

So yes, technically being gay in the USA COULD result in you being murdered for it. however, it is a 1 in 22,850,000 chance.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.