[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That guy.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Phil_Ken_Sebben.jpg (24 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
Phil_Ken_Sebben.jpg
24 KB, 520x390
Has anyone had the experience where you have a new player who starts to throw up all kinds of red flags, but who turns out to actually be a perfectly normal player?
>>
>>43526278

What kind of red flags, anon?
>>
>>43528274
Any that scream 'That guy' to you.
>>
>>43526278
What is a "perfectly normal player" to you?
>>
>>43526278
In my first group had a couple. One player who used to cheat constantly before I took over as DM, was super into lolicon and was generally an a huge asshole. Another who spent a lot of game time impaling enemies up the ass with spears and leering at my girlfriend. Both actually turned out decently after I made it clear that I wasn't fucking around about kicking them out and they got engaged in the game.
>>
>>43526278

Not for me, but once I had this guy who gave the impression of basically a fedorian hikikomori SJW.

Turns out he just liked the hat that much and wasn't a solipsistic asshole, needed some friends to get out more often and actually knew enough about the world to not be ignorant or whiteknight without reason. Also he's reasonable, something increasingly rare these days.

I could feel this but the rest of the dudes took some time to get used to him, and our two newer players actually tried to manouver against him IC, which ended in them receiving the boot and a new friend acquired.

I actually warned the group about those fags, but because they looked "perfectly normal" nobody would listen to me.

Have you actually wondered if you're the sane one in your group?
>>
>>43532054
Or worse, have you ever wondered if you're the only insane one?
>>
kinda happened to me today. walked into one of the FLGS and saw a friend playing wh40k with two other guys went over watched for a bit relied that one of the other guys was new and this was a intro style game, my friend knew I was more familiar with the rules then him so I got asked questions every now and then. After intro game was over the new guy wanted to know about other FLGS and stuff and the 3rd guy was talking about the local GW store and how for the new guy to be careful because the redshirt will kick people out if they don't buy something after XX mins and the players there are total WAAC and 'that guys'. Being that I was a regular of the GW store more than this FLAGS and personally knowing that the redshirt is a total bro I was staring at him like he just decided to swallow a kitten whole because not only was he giving a false bad name to the local GW but was obviously scaring the new guy off from going there. I told them that was maybe some horror stories about other GW stores (our state only has one so IDK where he is getting these stories from) but that being one of the normal guys from the GW store that everyone was mostly pretty cool guys. The new guy's friend did seem a little off balance about my 'reveal' but it was kinda odd standing there being one of the people he was talking to with out knowing.
>>
>>43526278
Actually, yes. One of my recent guys actually. One of my better players.

>Comes into 5e
>Stats out Deadpool
>Calls him that all the time
>Actually knows the lore
>Plays his character very true to the actual deadpool instead of lolsorandomxd
>His bullshit antics wind up saving the party 80% of the time
>>
>>43529699
Not OP, but I assume he means anything other than That Guy
or This Guy, conversely
>>
>>43526278
Yeah, when I first played with this dude, he would hog most of the loot and snag most of the glory. Seemed like he was one of those tryhard That Guys that was trying to "win" the game.

But when we wiped and moved onto the new campaign, he rolled up something different and none of that behavior followed him.
>>
File: 1278527301810.png (17 KB, 379x213) Image search: [Google]
1278527301810.png
17 KB, 379x213
>crossplayer
>says he doesn't have a lot of experience
>character is teen girl partially possessed by a demon
>uses him for power in exchange for penalties or setbacks
>seems like waifu material
>possible magical realm
>orphan girl with mysterious unspecified troubled past
>anime avatar

>would ordinarily just tell him to fuck off but he seems smart and even a little apologetic for the first impression
>give him a shot
>brilliant roleplayer, really creative, involved, proactively works with other players, knows how to fail forwards, the works
>avoids everything I was worried about
>still play with him five or six years later

Better than expected.
>>
>>43533980
Please organize your sentences anon, it's a pain to read. Especially whe there is 4 lines between two periods.
>>
>>43534983
He's not That Guy, he's just a weirdo with a thing for deadpool.
>>
>>43536898
That is what the OP asked for yes.
>>
>ITT: People who we thought were going to turn out as "That Guy", but were actually "This Guy"
>>
>>43533733
If you think you're insane then you're not.
>>
I've got such guy in my current group. Put the add online, waited with my friends, few boring people showed up to designated spot, and then comes this guy. Your stereotypical jacked, overmuscled steroid abuser, wearing a track suit and thick chain on his neck. I'm almost instantly "what the fuck, did this dude confuse the meeting or what?". Rest of my standard group is puzzled. The new guys are visibly scared, since most of them were in late teens-early 20s.

And then the guys turns out to be a fucking small town version of Vin Diesel, with such vast experience with different systems, games and styles of playing he was INSTANTLY in. I mean it takes a lot of effort to look like this guy, play as fucking scrawny bard and be convincing at that. Plus he's into fishing too, making it even easier for me to get hang of him.
>>
>>43538505
Common misconception. Just because your table greets you in a friendly manner every morning, doesn't mean you stop knowing tables don't talk. I know a few people who got the help they needed by calling a doctor and saying "I think I'm going insane". OTHO, those who don't are much more interesting.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.