[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tau Auxiliaries are dead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 23
File: tauaux.jpg (244 KB, 768x594) Image search: [Google]
tauaux.jpg
244 KB, 768x594
>The most interesting and unique gimmick of the Tau is that they have other species working for them

>Ever since their creation, both Kroot and Vespids have seen no additional units, nor any real power boosts outside of their new formation which is kind of meh, especially given you have to vomit out 4 units of kroot and 2 units of vespids and keep them within arms reach of each other when you could easily just use all those points for a 9 man crisis unit

even god damn Forge World stopped making their Kroot models. it seems that these guys only got rules cause they have models. its like they're the "Legion of the Damned" for tau.
>>
>>43514081
It is really sad. I'm really not sure why they aren't more popular.

I feel like they would have done better if it had been possible to make an all-kroot army back in earlier editions, taking hounds as fast attack, Krootox as heavy support, and giving them an HQ option. It might not have been strong, but the ability to make an independent army out of them would have gone a long way.
>>
I find it funny that the Kroot, aesthetically, fit into 40k better than the Tau but are not liked nearly as much.
>>
Because giving kroot pipe rifles with pointy bits on them was a mistake. They should've been equipped like the Vespid are. The reason neither of them get any love is because they're not giant robots that decide games and cost 2 days pay.
>>
They really need to make human auxiliary models where they're using Tau weapons. Would look dope.

Or some other minor alien races

Or just reinforce the Vespids and Kroot. I don't even know anything about fucking Vespids. No one does anything with them.
>>
>ITT; Newfags
They had a minidex back in the WD days of yore, but guess what?

It sucked.
>>
>>43514270
Even just more official rules to take a squad of basic guardsmen in a Tau force would be neat.

They certainly have a lot of options for other Auxillaries though. I believe there are around 15 we have the names of, some of them with more detail than others. They even have auxiliaries who are psykers.

Vespids suffer because they're an insect race with no variation or individuality, and fulfill a mechanical roll too similar to crisis suits. Kroot at least are troops and have outflanking and sniping going for them.
>>
>>43514211
They are honestly my favorite species in the game. They need more love.
>>
>>43514081
i would kill for a all kroot data slate. anyone remember the kroot army from chapter approved? i always wished for one
>>
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Codex_-_Tau_Auxiliary
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 576x256) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 576x256
>>43514211
The 'you are what you eat' fluff had such interesting mechanics it could of be used for. Such a waste
>>
>>43514766
Yeah. It could easily be used to modify their statlines or snag interesting special rules, or even make different unit types altogether.

Kroot alone have enough depth to function as an independent force with just a few extra additions.
>>
>>43514081
>4 units of kroot and 2 units of vespids and keep them within arms reach of each other when you could easily just use all those points for a 9 man crisis unit

Crisis suits are a top tier unit. What they can do for what they cost is among the best value in the entire game. I dont think its realistic to expect the two weakest units in your codex to be just as viable as one of the best.
>>
>>43514308

Way back when, Kroot were practically unbeatable in Kill Team since you just had to camp them in forest where they had 3+ Cover Saves and could shoot 6" further out of forest terrain than other units could shoot in.

The MiniDex from WD and later FW was pretty crap, but it added some variety to the faction.
>>
>>43514898
Which is the point. Why would you waste points on bringing a formation with Vespid when you could use a better formation with better units?

He'll who even has the models to bring that? I think I have enough Kroot but I don't have any Vespid and there is no way I'm bothering with something I need to basically tailor my entire list making around just to bring.
>>
>>43515524
Having a formation for Kroot and a separate one for Vespid would have been better. They could have given them more interesting benefits and possibly made them more worthwhile as well.
>>
>>43514081
They really ought to make different styles of crisis suits for auxillaries.
>>
>>43515621
Now I'm wondering how difficult it would be to convert a Stealth Suit with Vespid parts.
>>
>>43515621
A close-combat Kroot suit could be very fun. I'm not sure how they could design one around the Vespid's wings though.
>>
>>43514519
This. They are the best alien species in 40k. They would have even been great in Fantasy RIP.
>>
>>43515732
I find it odd so few people like Kroot when there's been a clamour for having Lizardmen ported to 40k. While they aren't identical, they're both similar in a lot of ways, being a less advanced culture with lots of big dinosaurs eating things.
>>
>>43514211
I love how they're constantly depicted in novels as these ferociously intimidating, incredibly alien beings that scare the shit out of normal humans because they're so alien, but then they're so honorable and polite (if they're not hired to kill you) that it throws humans even more for a loop, as well as coming across as much smarter than they appear.

Then they start eating people, and the humans start to (understandably) flip the fuck out.

They're such a unique race and they get no love. It's sad.
>>
>>43514308
>It sucked.
It was one of the only ways in the game to get a guaranteed turn one assault. With a unit packed with eviscerators. Units of hounds were also fucking brutal. What sucked was you had one plastic box and monopose metal blisters for every other choice.

I wish they'd have given the kroot a new box instead of another giant bot. But I also understand GW would be fucking stupid not to milk the superheavy retards.
>>
Is it possible yet to run just kroot as an allied detachment?
I only want to use them.
>>
>>43514126
I thought you actually could do this when Tau were first launched. They had multiple HQ options.
>>
>>43515621
>>43515710
They sort of explain that Crisis suits being exclusive to Tau is kind of an honor thing, kind of a Tau not trusting their auxiliaries entirely thing.

Their doctrine is to only help each species "do their thing". Which is why there is a Tau pattern Leman Russ for instance (With higher movement speed and less armour because Tau metallurgy couldn't recreate their armour but the STC engine was bafflingly inefficient).

Its also why Kroot are supplied with shitty but nonetheless pulse-based rifles.

The Tau see suit based warfare as "Their thing", or rather, the Fire Caste's thing. Now strapping broadside suit weapons onto a Great Knarloc for instance, or giving stealth suit tech to some of their auxiliaries, maybe.

It would be neat to see a few forgeworld takes on some of the more heavily frankensteined instances of Tau auxiliary tech, like sentinels with crisis suit legs and crisis suit weapons or something.
>>
>>43515828

allied to what? They're troops, so yes, probably.
>>
>>43515974
>the STC engine was bafflingly inefficient
Probably because it lasts forever and you can use the tears of your enemies as fuel.
>>
>>43515974
Man, I just want to see a Crisis suit with big arm blades and a giant mechanical jaw on the front. Is that too much to ask?
>>
>>43516085

Go Ork.
>>
>>43515974
>tau leman russ
Source. It's Forge world, isn't it?
>>
>>43514081
Legion of the Damned got one of those "codex supplements" at least. Kroot get nothing when they deserve their own expansion book after the fucking Imperial Fists 3rd Company, Haemonculus, Iyanden, and Clan Raukaan got one.

But GW has decided Tau are giant gundam mechs now and Kroot have no place in that
>>
>>43516467
Never heard of that either so its probably FW, maybe something they mentioned in Taros book.
>>
>>43516517
It's not even like a supplement for them would be difficult. Just split up the different models into new units, add a few formations to take them, and maybe give them a couple of extra options.
>>
Wait a minute, you're telling me that Tau players that don't like big robots exist?
>>
>>43515974

Plus even Tau need to go through extensive psych evaluations to convince that their superiors that the physical power of being in a suit won't go to their heads.
>>
Can Farsigh Enclaves take Kroot and Vespids?

My little brother had a kroot phase over a decade ago and bought a few boxes of them, but never bothered putting them together. I could probably whip up an army with them, but really the only Tau I really like are the Farsight Enclaves
>>
>>43516556
The largest model in my force is a Krootox. The rest is XV15 stealth suits, pathfinders, and other infantry.
>>
>>43516584
The Farsight Enclaves can take them just fine. The only restrictions compared to the main book are special characters and a few forgeworld things for fluff reasons.
>>
>>43514081
Aren't all armies Tau auxiliaries by default since you can take anything as Allies?
>>
>>43516678
Not quite what's meant by auxillaries. They've also downgraded a lot of Tau's relation with other armies. They used to have a ton of allies of convenience, and even battle brothers, but now it's mostly just desperate allies.
>>
>>43516704
Why? How did they justify that in the fluff? Did the Etherals decide that it was better for everyone to just give the finger to other factions?
>>
>>43515998
>>43515828
You need one tau hq. I'd convert one bad ass kroot shaper and play him as an Etheral.
>>
>>43516744
did they remove that one shaper hero from the book?
>>
>>43516720
It was probably just for balance reasons. Eldar being moved down to allies of convenience from battle brothers especially.

Still, it is rather odd, as their only desperate allies before were Daemons, Dark Eldar, and Sisters.
>>
>>43514081
Kroot at least got sniper rounds a while back, which made them more interesting.
>>
>>43514126
Kroot Mercenaries (entirely-kroot armies) were a thing in 3rd and 4th.

'twas good.
>>
>>43516778
IIRC Anghkor Prok has never been in any tau codex. He was in some White Dwarf addition and was pretty crappy to the boot.
>>
>>43516556
I like the design of their infantry and antigrav vehicles the most.
And i consider the old XV-8 suits the ugliest models in all of 40k; not that the new ones improved a lot, mind you.
>>
I WANT MY FUCKING WENOS IN MY WENOS ARMY...
dammit i picked tau to play xenos all the xenoes the vespide and the kroots alike.

i have figurines for both but XV8 riptide and bigger are too good and too suiss army knife to be replaced by overpriced vespide or weak kroots.
>>
>>43516918
I personally don't like how weirdly shaped some of the vehicles are. Crisis suits are a bit too boxy for my tastes as well. It works fine for Broadsides though, and the rest of the models are great.
>>
>>43515974
>They sort of explain that Crisis suits being exclusive to Tau is kind of an honor thing, kind of a Tau not trusting their auxiliaries entirely thing.

The Tau gave a Gue'vesa'O a suit to pilot and a squad of Fire Warriors to command.
>>
>>43515974
I always figured it was because Kroot just didn't like battlesuits. It probably messes with their hunting instincts and relies less on their natural skills, making it feel off to them.
>>
>>43514081
Kroot are not technically part of the Tau Empire. They are just an independent nation within the empire's borders. They don't have much role in what's going on in the Damocles narrative other than being mercs the Tau use from time to time but don't really rely on most of the time.

Why should get any spotlight? As a Tau player I want faction to get the spotlight and new content. I would pissed if they made a Tau update centered around the Kroot which like I said are not really part of the Tau Empire. It's a waste of time and plastic.
>>
>>43516995
That is likely more of an exception than the norm.
>>
File: The Coldfire Kindred.png (213 KB, 376x389) Image search: [Google]
The Coldfire Kindred.png
213 KB, 376x389
>>43517021
>>43515974
It's outright stated in Kroot Index Xenos article that they have abandoned the power of technology and regressed to their old ways after the Ork invasion. They saw that technology weakened them and then betrayed them.

Now the Kroot only keep necessary technologies like ships but mostly fight in a primitive way. The Kroot see reliance on technology as a perverse thing.

If this thread had any rel Kroot fans, they would have known this. That's why they see (picture related) as weirdos
>>
>>43517026
Exception or the start of a new trend.

It's stated the Tau have manpower issues. How long before we see cadres of Gue'vesa'la suits?
>>
>>43516085
Just Loot it
>>
>>43517068
>'la suits
never

bro if you're speaking fish head, at least get the ranks right
>>
>>43514126
>not sure why they aren't more popular

Same reason abhumans in IG and why people paint titans to match their SM chapters: Autism over aesthetics. Can't have those ugly aliens messing up the sleek animu designs.

>>43514308
So? How many years have orks sucked and people still play them.
>>
>>43517100
Gue'vesa'la means "Fighting Human Helpers".

You should get the Tau language right.
>>
>tau
>not giant robots with fuckload of guns
Go play nids
>>
>>43517108
Seems like it would be for the best if they could be fielded as a separate force then.
>>
im making a demiurge Tau army Tau stole most of there tech from the Demiurge the Tau bits stuck onto Demiurge ships are not tau bits they are demiurge bits the tau stole I don't see why converting them the other way wont be hard. using chaos dwarfs as troops with tau heads or some thing.. still working it out.. chaos dwarf gun suits Kroot and chaos dwarf dreadlocks soot kroot.. vespid might be dead but kroot is not trust me just wait n c. they will probably do Kroot like a allies codex like Skitari. they are planning a catachan one also.. every thing comes in time just wait. FW see shit way before any one and they are running out of factory space they prob stoped making kroot because they have already seen the 3D models of them and every thing is going 3D even resin with Solar Aux being $$$ 3D printed masters cast in resin look most detailed as any thing GW has ever put out.
>>
>>43517807
also just a heads up if they do Kroot they will package them with melee weapons and make a Age of Sigmar Warscroll for them... trust me this shit is super incoming and really really really fucking obviouse. like the Age of Sigmar Orcs are going to match a 40k orc release and be MUCH bigger scale than current orcs.. just wait n c.. its all coming just wait they didn't make AOS fantasy in 40k space for no reason they are doing cross overs its hinted at like a million times in the AOS books.
>>
>>43517807
Woah there, mate, I nearly had a seizure halfway through your post.
Good job.
>>
>>43517145
but I like monstrous creatures and tau do that better than tyranids!
>>
>>43514228
>>43514898

Eh. Kroot are easily one of the most powerful, on a point for point basis, units in the game. They are in no way one of the weakest units in the codex.
>>
I wonder if making the Kroot more taulike, as in give them some bits to make them fit in line with the rest of the tau, could help with them fitting in better. Right now they're pretty raggedy ass native savages compared to the tau.
>>
>>43516556
Believe it or not but there was a time the Tau thought giant robots were stupid. And plenty of people agree that the huge suits have no place in the army.

For plenty of people the appeal was an army that uses sensible modern style tactics in 40k, the tanks and reasonably sized suits were fine as part of that.
>>
>>43514081
What would you do with them?
Right now they are snipers... and that's pretty much it.

The issue is to give them a role in a tau army, without denaturing the tau army. Some auxiliaries species are psykers, should tau have access to psykers? I don't think so (you can justify that by their value and the fact that tau commander don't want to use something they don't understand in their forces).
Should they have access to cc units? Actually I would say yes with the kroots, but they would be light cc units, which are shit anyway. Even then it would be nice to have the possibility.

For the vespids, it's even worse. What can they bring crisis or piranha can't? They need a niche.
>>
>>43516556
Present and accounted for.
Giant robots, above 9 feet tall literally make no sense whatsoever. They are cool, but that's absolutely it. You're better off with a tank in nearly all situations, and don't get me started on the differences between equal tank and giant mech.
>>
>>43518562
I think you got the wrong game if you want to go with something "don't making sense". It's Warhammer, the bigger part of the factions use one or more mechas, and we have one that is literally composed of giant robots and nothing else.
More on the topic, I like all the different aspects of the Tau, fielding both a full-mecha Farsight enclave army and working on a smaller army that uses 3 units of Kroots as troops
>>
>>43516517

>But GW has decided Tau are giant gundam mechs now

The fans decided that via their purchases. Kroot stuff was removed from FW because it didn't sell well enough and FW has a limited amount of storage space.
>>
>>43514412
It is called allies you dense tau fucker.
>>
>>43515765
That lastchancers novel in which they hangout with a bunch of kroot mercs in a bar.
>>
>>43517995
Saddness intensify i remember those time... unfortunately fag desided to fuck everything
>>
>>43518965
>The fags decided that via their purchases.

FTFY

But hey, seeing that they can't hide behind "muh non-retarded mechas" and "muh sensible tactics" arguments, I can deal with it.
>>
>>43515761
I said this in another thread. All the Kroot need to be Lizardmen is to be slightly more lizardy than birdy, and a coat of Not Aztec paint.

In a Rogue Trader game I used Kroot Shapers to do exactly thar.
>>
>>43517108
>why people paint titans to match their SM chapters
This.
If there ever was a situation in which you could have a nice eye-catch that really stands out, it would be with a Knight or Titan.
Instead what you get is people trying to hide the model by giving it the same scheme as the rest for a cohesive look that missed so much great opportunity.
>>
File: brickodessey.webm (195 KB, 1152x480) Image search: [Google]
brickodessey.webm
195 KB, 1152x480
>>43514081
>you could easily just use all those points for a 9 man crisis unit
You can say this about anything in the fucking codex.
Fire warriors? Just take more suits
Stealth teams? Just take more suits
Hammerhead? Just take more suits

Stop being a fucking dingus.
>>
>>43519838
> Warhammer 50k
> Like Warhammer 30k, but with battlesuits instead of SM.

But I insist, >>43518134
What could be done with auxiliaries without denaturing the tau army?
>>
>>43519996
The problem is not really denaturing the Tau concept, the problem is find a job for them to do. The Crisis, while certainly a very strong unit, are not a "end it all, there's no unit better" option. The situation depicted by >>43519838 is created by their sheer versatility. You can make them do almost every job and they can be really good at that job.
So you may easily create units for the various auxiliary forces, but to make them usable you should make them stronger than the crisis in that particular job, and for most job that would mean make it overpowered or arguably overcosted
>>
File: Tau shopping.jpg (72 KB, 1024x723) Image search: [Google]
Tau shopping.jpg
72 KB, 1024x723
>>43519996
Make them useful. The kroot are only good as snipers because they suck at close combat, they've got AP5 melee but they have one attack each, give them 2 attacks.
Vespids are great as is but they shouldn't be 18 points each. I'd say 15 points each.
The issue with vespids is that they take up a FA slot which is better used by pathfinders or a flyer or hazard suit. Make it so that the Tau can take up to two auxillaries that don't contribute to the FOC, or have a unit of kroot or vespid be an auxiliary formation, just like one unit of drones is.

But Vespids do the job of reachers better than breachers except they don't have to buy a transport to be useful.
Also give the vespids plastic models, nobody wants finecast models anymore.
>>
>>43517114
They use the traditional 'la, 'ui, 'vre, 'el, 'o ranking system, bro. >>43516995 has the right of it.

I don't even play vagina face and I know this.
>>
>>43520116
So... kroots can be either cheap snipers or cheap light cc infantry.
Vespids get point reduction and something to save FA slots.

But if they get new kits, they will need something new I suppose. Probably dual kits, like firewarriors.
I could see kroot elite totem warriors that are aliens Marbo little, but they wouldn't be used because elite.
>>
>>43520275
except they suck at CC but make some p good snipers when put in forests
>>
>>43520275
Kroot Hound packs led by Kroot Beastmasters riding (regular, not greater) Knarlocs would be a nice FA choice.
>>
File: image_f44d307c.jpg (29 KB, 629x354) Image search: [Google]
image_f44d307c.jpg
29 KB, 629x354
>>43520275
Vespid sonic grenadiers!
I have no idea what I am saying.
>>
>>43514308
So then they should just stop trying and let it die. #newfaglogic
>>
File: Krootfeels.jpg (158 KB, 920x850) Image search: [Google]
Krootfeels.jpg
158 KB, 920x850
>Kroot will never assault after shooting
SUB-NPC TYRANID-TIER RACES UNITE
>>
>>43520315
krootox with proper weapon options would also be a pretty good heavy support choice. Kroot mercs would be an ideal ally force. All they need is an HQ choice.
>>
>>43515765
I assume they only eat dead people right? They don't just lean over and start biting off human heads and eating everything tyranid style?
>>
>>43520537
>All they need is an HQ choice.
Well, kroot shapers are pretty much kroot+.
Maybe they could be the one giving access to a simplified Evolutionary Adaptations system?

Also, shaman psyker or not?
>>
File: kroot2.jpg (179 KB, 736x539) Image search: [Google]
kroot2.jpg
179 KB, 736x539
How about this for a quick Kroot Fix

>Kroot-rifles gain assault-slugs
>Slugs: Range 12 S4 AP5 Assault 1

>Krootox with rider gains Relentless
>Krootox without rider gains Rampage and wields 'Clubbing blows'
Clubbing blows: Melee, S User AP4 Concussive

>Kroot shaper now confers Counter-attack, may purchase Night-vision for 3 pts.

>May Upgrade any Kroot-hound to a Dire-Hound for 10 pts, Dire hounds gain one wound and rending

thoughts?
>>
>>43520673
do they?
>>
>>43520703
Shaper lords back in the old WD codex could take psychic powers.
>>
>>43520537
>All they need is an HQ choice.
Shaper council, 1-5 shapers chosen as a single HQ choice but that act independently and can take mounts and psychic powers and stuff.
>>
If the game was just a little bit less DRIVE ME AWAY SO I CAN SHOOT AT THEM WITH MY LASPISTOL kroot would be worth it again.
>>
>>43517910
Kroot are good because they're troops, so they don't compete with much, and they're snipers, which is useful.

Vespid's main problems stem from being in the same slot as Pathfinders and other good sources of markerlights.
>>
>>43519083
>Look at the allies chart
>Desprate allies, everywhere

It sure would be nice to have some Guardsmen vehicles or Ork mercenaries for a Tau force. Shame they have to awkwardly stare at eachother if they get too close.
>>
File: Evolution-of-the-Kroot.jpg (753 KB, 2262x1624) Image search: [Google]
Evolution-of-the-Kroot.jpg
753 KB, 2262x1624
>>43517108
>painting your models how you want even if it's not how you're "supposed to" do it is autism

Huh.
I think I get what the actual point was, I just find this incredibly ironic.
>>
>>43516517
>But GW has decided Tau are giant gundam mechs now and Kroot have no place in that
Bullshit. Don't blame this on GW. Obviously Kroot were selling like shit and both GW and FW decided to axe them, because why bother with something that won't sell.
>>
File: 1434244754161.jpg (56 KB, 506x426) Image search: [Google]
1434244754161.jpg
56 KB, 506x426
>>43517995
>Tau have a realistic and sensibly designed army, except for the giant mechs
>>
>>43521261
I you look closely, you may notice he's using the past tense.
>>
>>43521261
I guess you think running at the enemy with a chainsaw is superior tactics
>>
>>43521334
That's why I added the "except". Nothing in their army is sensibly designed.

>>43521374
Just because other factions are sometimes more stupid and make the Tau sometime smart by comparison, doesn't make the Tau actually a viable army.
>>
File: Khorne.jpg (230 KB, 550x3136) Image search: [Google]
Khorne.jpg
230 KB, 550x3136
>>43521374
Well, of course not.

Not without a pistol or another chainsaw for that extra attack, obviously.
>>
I just want to pilot a battle suit of some kind. Is that so much to ask?
>>
>>43520729
Sounds good to me. I always thought shapers should be able to buy enhancements since the whole Kroot culture revolves around eating other races to evolve.

Make a small table so each shaper for a squad can get things like +1S for them, an extra wound, an affinity for weakpoints giving them AP4 in CC, faster muscles for +1 I

A shaper HQ choice would be able to buy 3 of these for any squad you attach them to.
>>
I'm actually using the 3rd edition minidex for kill team. It's weird how in 6th they somehow decided Kroot were too good and nerfed them.
>>
>>43522496
Some special rules could be cool too. Like Night Vision or a different terrain for Stealth. Maybe even Fleet or Crusader.
>>
>>43521131
It's a cyclical thing.
>shit rules reduce sale
>reduced sale leads to continue shit rules
>reduced sales due to shit rules, etc etc
>>
>>43520736

Could just run an Ethereal now and use a Kroot model for it instead of a Tau in an all-Kroot team.
>>
>>43523411
Even with that though, you're still dealing with an army that pretty much only consists of troops and whatever big forgeworld models you can still find. There's not a lot of versatility in the list, and it isn't too effective on its own either.
>>
Wasn't part of the Tau's appeal that they're federation of aliens races working together for defense and prosperity
>>
>>43517910
I meant aesthetically. I know the Tau put pulse rifle technology in there or whatever for game balance reasons but they still look like a bunch of primitives. Space cannibal hillbillies at most.

They look outgunned even by Chaos renegades and Ork boys.
>>
Can't you just use fire warrior rules?
>>
>>43526259
Counting Kroot as Dark Eldar might work. Light armor, stealthy, decently close-combat focused.
>>
>>43520729
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Chapter_Approved/Kroot_Mercenaries
Take a look over here!
>>
File: 1356945989519.jpg (67 KB, 604x530) Image search: [Google]
1356945989519.jpg
67 KB, 604x530
>>43515621
>>43515974

Doesn't mean the Kroot just won't take the suits. They are a mercenary species after all.
>>
>>43525519
Thats the original Tau schtick, it didnt sell well. Its been replaced with big robots, and by far the easiest army to play. Hence the massive amount of retards in this thread.
>>
>>43521696
>other factions are sometimes more stupid
Sometimes? Have you seen orks?
>>
File: 1344894980643.jpg (491 KB, 1126x1600) Image search: [Google]
1344894980643.jpg
491 KB, 1126x1600
>>43526408

It's one of their schticks and really only came about because GW couldn't decide between Tau and Kroot.
>>
>>43517866
What are you, retarded?
>>
The problem is that Kroot are combat oriented. So Tau have top shooting, means Kroot must stat bottom tier for combat, or you'll just have the best of everything which is reserved for SM ;).
>>
>>43517108
>people paint titans to match their SM chapters:

I hate this shit.
>>
>>43514081
its times like these that make me not regret jumping ship around 6th ed...
>>
>>43514898
What a stupid fucking post
'it's okay that these units suck because there are better units you can use'
yeah that's fucking great that GW can't balance for shit
>>
>>43527648
Kroot and Vespid aren't even that bad as far as most units go. It's just that Crisis suits are overall more versatile and cost-efficient options.

I'm sure there are some armies out there who would jump at the chance to take Kroot or Vespid.
>>
Kroot eat tyranid = ???
>>
>>43527762
Bad things. Shapers specifically prevent Kroot from eating tyranids.
>>
>>43527762

They start to fall under the influence of the HM, if I recall correctly.
>>
>>43527790
Kroot eat the emperor = ???
>>
>>43527806

idk, you get the God-kroot, champion of the Greater Good.
>>
>>43527806
Kroot tend to need to eat a lot of something to get most benefits, so they wouldn't become emperor copies. They'd get stronger and develop good psyker abilities, but they wouldn't be godlike.
>>
Kroot eat slaugth = ???
This is a fun game
>>
>>43521068
No, you missed the entire point.

Titans and knights in design already fit in well with Guard and Marines. Kroot and abhuman, even if painted to match the regiment or sept, are still very different in style from the rest. Your sleek mecha force now has some skinny Somalian orks in their midst. Or your Vostroyans have half-naked potatoes with big bolters. It's a clash some people don't want.

Also, are you ok with Ultramarines being green and purple? Or Dark Angels being yellow with horned skulls as their chapter symbol? It's my army, isn't it, I get to paint it how ever I want, don't I? And you just have to sit there and go "Man, what cool Ultras/DA you got."
>>
>>43528880
Could the tau recruit human mutants and abhumans? The imperium treats them like shit so they could be convinced that greater good is good.
>>
>>43528929
No reason why not, although they'd probably be rather small in number.
>>
>>43529057
Ogryns in mech suits?
>>
>>43529091
Hell, just Orgyns with better armor would suffice. They're strong enough that they could carry around most battlesuit weapons without issue. They'd just need enough training to know when to fall back and not use them as a club.
>>
>>43529091
>Ogryns in mech suits?

Ogryns have to be tricked into the backs of chimeras with food and a guardsman with a teddy bear. They absolutely do not have the mental faculties to operate a suit of any kind.

One of the smartest ogryn ever, Nork Deddog was said to be exceptional in his ability to sign his own name "N" for nork.

They're the IG vespids of always having shitty rules and a shitty niche.
>>
>>43529125

> They'd just need enough training to know when to fall back and not use them as a club.

Literally impossible.
>>
>>43521829
>that khorne face

How have I never seen this before, it's such an obvious(ly epic) thing to do yet GW doesn't have a model for it as far as I know, this is putty I guess?
>>
senpai
>>
>>43529125
>>43529283
It would be far easier and cheaper to just use drones. They're smarter and follow orders better.
>>
File: aux_group.jpg (53 KB, 517x304) Image search: [Google]
aux_group.jpg
53 KB, 517x304
I might get some hate here, but I always felt like Auxiliaries should have been simultaneously minimised and emphasised in the codex. Instead of a bunch of options no one takes, there should just be one Auxiliary unit as a troop option, a squad of troops with Fire Warrior stats and pulse carbines, who do not benefit from markerlights but who can buy special rules like Stealth or Fleet.

On the tabletop these units should look like a mess of partially-equipped troops with a Shas leader. You throw them into situations where you need to plug the gap and slow down the enemy, or hold objectives while your Fire Warriors do something more important.

>that wave of rough looking Auxiliaries rushing forward enthusiastically while your mainstay troops, tanks and walkers bring up the rear.
>>
>>43533115
It's a good idea in theory, but in practice it means that GW would have to make more models that people wouldn't really get as much of.
>>
>>43519996
Dude, if there was a battlesuit only game with GW funds behind it, you can bet your fucking liver I'll drop $1,000 on that shit straight up senpai.
>>
>>43514126
You could when Tau were new. Multiple Kroot options to do an entirely Kroot army.
Then they put up a free Kroot Mercenaries list on their website (and white dwarf) which provided even more options.
>>
>>43529341
It's one of the variant heads for the old metal World Eater/Berzerker Champion. Not sure when exactly GW stopped selling it, though it was never ported to Finecast or shown on the current site.
>>
File: IMG_3099.jpg (334 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3099.jpg
334 KB, 1600x1066
>>43526291
there's an army that does this on the gowarhead blog. Best kroot army. Picture related
>>
File: IMG_3063.jpg (231 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3063.jpg
231 KB, 1600x1066
>>
File: IMG_3065.jpg (277 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3065.jpg
277 KB, 1600x1066
>>
>>43525519
pretty sure that was rick priestlys idea he wanted a race that could have limitless possibilities like the imperium x2 but GW was like wait a second brands brand brand brands lets keep them simplistic.
>>
>>43517108
I play ratlings in my IG, since they are fucking cool. But Ogryns are just too expensive to be viable
>>
>>43537901
>>43537908
>>43537919
these kind of army conversions are the worst thing about Warhammer I sware I hate them so much so much why not just make a original army list of your own if your going to that much trouble... its not creative its dumb and clearly just to save money
>>
>>43540680
How are those saving money?
>>
>>43540018
>
>>43526816
>>
>>43540680
> not just make a original army list of your own
Because sometimes you want or need to play by the rules, just with other models, my very retarded and autistic friend. Now eat a fucking bullet.
>>
>>43540680
Jesus you're embarrassing yourself. Stop it.
>>
>>43519833
>caring what others do with their money
>>
>>43540680
>>mad because he can't model/can't have anything that isn't CANON
>>
>>43528880
>>43517108
I don't see how this is a problem with Tau though. They are obviously built around being space Wood Elves, and while the actual Tau units compose the ranged combat specialization of Wood Elves, the Kroot/Vespid compose the whole "we are friendly to other living things particularly those who are animalistic" shtick about Wood Elves. Not to mention that Kroot also do the whole cannibalism part of Wood Elves, too. But then I guess the anime in grimdark space aspect of Tau got more popular than the wood elves in space part so you got a point.
>>
>>43540981

Pretty sure Fantasy Wood Elves aren't cannibalistic.

Honestly, I don't see much in common between the Tau and Fantasy Wood Elves.
>>
>>43541893
Nvm I thought WHFB Wood Elves were cannibals, too. Heard it in a Battle Report. Elder Scrolls has cannibalistic Wood Elves.

But yeah commonality with Tau and Wood Elves cuz both fight ranged combat and have some kind of beast-like allies that do close combat distraction while the Tau/Elves wail on the enemy with guns/bows.
>>
>>43542079

The only allies the Wood Elves have are various forest spirits such as the Treemen, Treekin, and Dryads and their relationship with the Wood Elves isn't much like the relationship between the Tau and Kroot. If anything their relationship is symbiotic at most with some of the forest spirits coming to resent the Wood Elves.

Gameplay they might be similar, but lorewise they're not very similar at all.
>>
>>43540981
>I don't see how this is a problem with Tau though.

Have you looked at Kroot next to fire warriors and battle suits?
>>
>>43542500
Have you looked at the animals and beasts Wood Elves have next to them as companions? The pets hunters have in World of Warcraft? Same thing here. I can see why some people are bothered with the overall aesthetic, but you should know what you're in for if you pick any of those as an option.
>>
>>43542543
Except wood elves and hunters typically look like they'd belong in a forest raising animals.

Tau have blocky futuristic armor with drones. Compare that to the very organic nature of the Kroot, and it's a very sharp contrast.
>>
>>43542543
>Have you looked at the animals and beasts Wood Elves have next to them as companions?

Yes. And they fit in well with the aesthetics of wood elves. Fuck fucks sake, anon, they're called wood elves. Being all rangery forest folk is their schtick. Animals and forests spirits are part of the deal.

Kroot don't have anything even remotely Tau on them. Not even a tau-like shoulder guard. They're like orks with their stitched hide, crude armour plates, hunting knives and simple guns. Orks in an army of super-sleek future tech. If you don't see a clash there, I don't know what to tell you.

>you should know what you're in for if you pick any of those as an option

Which is probably who people don't pick them, don't you think?
>>
>>43542627
Well, how else would you do the "companion/pet that keeps the enemy distracted with close range" for Tau? Robot animals make no sense. Neither do battlesuits made for close range.
>>
>>43542693
Maybe give the Kroot some Tau armor? Or shoulder pads? Or Tau guns?

Even the Vespid are better in that area
>>
>>43542693
Give them tau aesthetics. Make their guns look more tau-like. Not pulse rifles, but be an amalgamation of a tau weapon and a more primitive gun. Give them tau style armour and clothing. No stitched together rags, sleeker cloth and segmented tau-like armour plates and shoulder guard. Maybe even option for helmets (predator style masks). Then put some tribal hunter shit on top of that (as optional bits). Make them look like the tau armed and equipped them to be more uniformal, to give them a sense of belonging, to make them feel like they're part of the group, not just pack animals serving their alien overlords. But at the same time some of the kroot still stick to their ways and are all tribal with trophies and stuff.
>>
>>43515761
Lizardmen have a much cleaner, slicker aesthetic. Kroot are ugly and crazy-looking and not Orks, so there's no room for them in the shiny smoothness of the far future.
>>
>>43521068
Is...is that first kroot riding an invisible dinosaur?
>>
>>43540680
Hello warmachine player
Still hating on 40k I see
We know your game is shit
We know your game is basically MTG with dice
But you refuse to accept that
Instead you cling onto the idea that made you pick up warmachine, that 40k is uber bad
Keep shilling for PP, all it's doing is making warmachine players the scum of wargaming.
>>
>>43544106
A warmachine player will never suggest making own army list. This is a faggot of different magnitudes.

I'm a warmachine player.

PS:your game sucks and I hope you enjoy them regardless and have fun with the hobby
>>
>>43543913
back in the day GW models were made out of this metal called "pewter"
>>
File: predator-1_1358959439.jpg (99 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
predator-1_1358959439.jpg
99 KB, 640x960
Model them to be like Predators.
>>
>>43542736
>>43542817
These destroy the idea of them being allies (meaning equals), and also doesn't fit with the communist style of Tau.
>>
File: 085.jpg (646 KB, 1086x1486) Image search: [Google]
085.jpg
646 KB, 1086x1486
>>43528880
I understood the point but wasn't even commenting on it, only on that example.

>Also, are you ok with Ultramarines being green and purple? Or Dark Angels being yellow with horned skulls as their chapter symbol? It's my army, isn't it, I get to paint it how ever I want, don't I? And you just have to sit there and go "Man, what cool Ultras/DA you got."

Well... yeah? So long as it looks good, I don't see what the problem is. It's not something I personally care for or would do myself, due to muh lore, but if that's how someone else wants their toys to look then cool, whatever. And of course in the first case I would be sure to give my thanks to the good doctor.
>>
>>43546026
They already give Vespids Taur armor and their neutron blasters match the looks. What exactly is the problem again?
>>
>>43546360
>give Vespids Taur armor
The fuck? Brb checking this shit out.
>>
>>43546360
>>43546401
Oh wait I forgot they are all part of the greater Tau Empire. Then it should be fine desu.
>>
File: Tau_VespidStingwings.jpg (149 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
Tau_VespidStingwings.jpg
149 KB, 873x627
>>43546401
Look, I know nobody uses them so you've probably never seen them in person, but the armor and weapons clearly have the looks.

>>43546431
While I personally like the Kroot's aesthetic, I was just trying to explain why some people think it's out of place and don't use them for their battle-suit heavy armies.

The main reason I don't is because my army is an urban combat focused force, which means having jungle combat specialists would be a bit out of place.
>>
>>43546503
It's the urban jungle!
With urban liana, urban space crocodiles...
>>
>>43546692
If I had to do it again, I would probably set it up to better incorporate Kroot, but as it stands I wouldn't know what to do with them.

I'd probably be best of just using them for a separate force.
>>
>>43547631
You could set them up as sewer dwellers, or maybe just have them as survivalists outside of the city.
>>
>>43548085
I could imagine kroot fighting in urban warfare.
They seem like they would be pretty good at it.
>>
>>43514081
shit company not knowing how to expand a race. they released both the kroot and tau as a faction because they didn't know how to release either and once people starting picking up the tau, they didn't know how to expand both sides of the race. they just change the size of robots and mailed it in.
>>
>>43550091
It probably does just boil down to the fact that the Tau got top billing and were more immediately popular, leading to more support.

The Kroot were less popular and fell by the wayside, leading to the slow spiral downward that a lot of factions experience as poor rules lead to poor sales leads to less models leads to less sales.
Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.