[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Critical Role
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 7
What does /tg/ think of Critical Role?
>>
Also ale
>>
File: 1444051786251.jpg (89 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
1444051786251.jpg
89 KB, 750x600
>>43467761
>viral

nya ha, would make a watchable cartoon.
precue to kickstarter campaign ?
>>
>>43470082
Not as far as I know, I've been marathoning the series for the last week and a half and I was wondering what /tg/thought about the series, with it being /tg/ related
>>
>>43467761
I enjoy it. Mostly I enjoy the DM - lots to learn from him. The fact that, what six months later, the players STILL do not know what their spells do really is starting to tick me off.

I'm up to episode 26 now. Are there any after that?

The DM gave a pretty good class/example on not falling in love with your (DM) idea of how an adventure should go and instead going with what the players do. They were up against this giant bird that was allied with a crazy Druid, the DM had planned on a big fight. Instead the PCs talked their way out of it and resolved the conflict through negotiation. No combat happened. In the end he just shows them this giant map he drew of this cool terrain the battle would have taken place on and talked a few seconds about how cool the fight would have been - and just went on. Good example of letting the players run the game instead of forcing them along your path, even when you have done a lot of work to make 'your way' cool.
>>
>>43471370
4, 30 total
>>
>>43471370
>In the end he just shows them this giant map he drew of this cool terrain the battle would have taken place on and talked a few seconds about how cool the fight would have been - and just went on. Good example of letting the players run the game instead of forcing them along your path, even when you have done a lot of work to make 'your way' cool.

He should have kept his mouth shut. He could have reused all that shit later. Change the trees into rockspires and the bird into a wyvern (or whatever best fits at the time) and that's a usable encounter. Instead he squandered it, and I just hate waste.
>>
>>43467761
Problem the same thing we thought last week when you asked. And the week before. And the week before.
>>
Is it a video series or webcomic? Either way that dragon born player is a furry.
>>
>>43471572
If it comes up again he will just make another map.

But the point is, he put some work in to that encounter. A lot of people, because of the investment, would have made it a combat encounter regardless of what the players did.

I'm not saying this to say 'oh gosh, what a great DM'. But rather, 'hey, here is a good example' when it comes to all those discussions we have about being a good DM and not falling in love with an outcome that is contrary to what the players want to do. If you see what I mean.

It is also a good example because nine times out of ten, it seems, the typical example is 'I had this huge negotiation social thing set up, the fucking players decided to just fireball everyone right away'.
>>
>>43471370
>The fact that, what six months later, the players STILL do not know what their spells do really is starting to tick me off.

Like, the players are cool and all, but holy FUCK do I hate this normie bullshit. How do you invest three years into a game, yet you can't even have a basic concept of what your character can do? Same thing with the Barbarian, after 20+ weeks of playing, not knowing he adds his Rage bonus damage to attacks.

Also, Critical Role embodies my one burning hatred for "normal" D&D campaigns, which is pace. Holy steaming pile of fuck, is there any reeason to rocket through content so quickly? The party is level 10 and gaining multiple levels in less than 20 sessions? Are you fucking kidding me? Not only that, but the DM seems to be so insistant on making sure everyone gets to see their backstory resolved in a story arc, that he'll rip through one in like 3 sessions, when that's shit that should take way longer to work out.

You're really going to send the fucking Druid to a fire-themed village to "earn the respect of the fire people", which consists of walking through a portal and then fighting 3 not-even-challenging fire elementals? And then act like they accomplished something big and awesome?

Slow the fuck down, enjoy the scenery. It seems that the players are so bent on just pretending that they know and care about NPCs that the DM doesn't bother actually developing any or giving them the screentime a plot needs to properly develop.

I hate that so much.
>>
>>43471735
While I'm a fan boy, I will fully admit that the fire elemental episode was one I fast forwarded through. I really don't like his dingbat girlfriend anyhow, cute or not. That doesn't help.

But I do disagree with the resolving thing a bit. Her 'arc' only hit one small aspect. She is supposed to visit a few other tribes yet and there is her mother thing that they really should look in to.

The only character backstory arc that looks like it might get resolved is the Percy's, and that is taking several episodes. And I'm going to bet that his demon voice in his head thing won't be fully resolved or revealed even then.

So I don't think he is doing too bad.

But yeah, holy fuck, learn the fucking game already people. They have the books. Their OWN book, they bring them.

I kind of get the feeling though that being ignorant of the rules works to their favor as the DM is a bit of rule of cool.

However, friend anon, how many times have you raged over the dragon guys use of the Telekinesis spell? Be honest. Let it out.
>>
>>43471735
>The party is level 10 and gaining multiple levels in less than 20 sessions?
You answered your own question.
>How do you invest three years into a game
>three years
>>
Is this viral marketing for Gilmore's Glorious Goods?
>>
>>43471665
9 voice actors livestreaming a game of Pathfinder-turned-DnD they've had running for at least 2 years before the first episode
>>
>>43471890
Everything about the campaign, in the 30~ sessions posted online, have been nothing but a full-on sprint through story content.

Which is why I hate pretty much all DMs, they have no sense of pace.

Let me put it this way: The Percy shit has taken 3 sessions, and next session they're going to fight the Vampires and it'll be over. That is EASILY 15+ sessions of content, which is just breezed through because there NEEDS to be at least one encounter per game and one major boss killed per session, because otherwise "it'd get boring".

Please, learn to tell a fucking story. Have the dignitiy to make players work shit out on their own. It's obvious the party is incapable of solving any narrative problems outside of combat, so make them work for it.
>>
>>43471890
>However, friend anon, how many times have you raged over the dragon guys use of the Telekinesis spell? Be honest. Let it out.
Orion Acaba is a minmaxing metagaming munchkin. He's lucky he made Tiberius a complete social fuckwit who constantly introduces himself like he's Dirk Diggler or I'd want him out.
>But yeah, holy fuck, learn the fucking game already people. They have the books. Their OWN book, they bring them.
What really bugs me is when people give them gifts. It's one thing if it's something they can actually use and it's handmade, like that miniature flying carpet, or something explicitly being sold like the t-shirts, but when it's a prop (which are never used) or things that should come out of the show's budget or the group's pockets (dice) or expensive things (meteorite dice), or food ordered to the fucking office, I feel really uncomfortable.
>>
>>43471926
>implying the quality doesn't speak for itself
>>
>>43472050
>It's obvious the party is incapable of solving any narrative problems outside of combat, so make them work for it.
The roc example was already posted. They also tend to go with talking first, though they'll punch first if its story-appropriate.
And come on, everyone knows the shopping episode is the best.
>>
>>43472050
Fifteen sessions would be around four months. That isn't an arc, that is practically a campaign. The DM has to spread the spotlight around, this is the price that is paid.
>>
>>43472050
Maybe he has tons of content thought up and he wants to actually get through it before the game inevitably collapses and dies due to life getting in the way, as is the fate of practically every campaign since the dawn of the hobby?
>>
>>43472064
I've been considering getting them the spell card decks they sell. Christ people...
>>
>>43472093
In the current vampire arc I think the DM expected them to straight up assault.
>>
>>43472093
>The roc example was already posted.

That wasn't them solving a problem without combat.

Look, what you need to understand is that they didn't stop and say "Man, how can we not fight this thing, but still solve this?" It started out with them attacking the thing, using their spells to get an edge on it to defeat it, and then ended with them meeting a dude and realizing "Oh this dude means this isn't a combat thing."

My point is that they just kind of fail their way through every situation, but still manage to come out assuming they know how they did it.

>>43472064
I think I may be alone in hating the community. Because like, donating to charity? Awesome, do that. Do more of that. Sending them food and shit because you feel like you're friends with them when they read the name tag out? Come on, now you're just being a pathetic fuck. I hate the idea that people just get together to buy random shit for a bunch of people who don't care about them because it makes them feel like they're part of something.

>>43472188
I'm positive they have spell cards, because I've seen them used.
>>
>>43472179
Usually "life" = job. Considering these people are voice actors, they're not exactly the kind of people who have to show up at a set or even a studio every day. I mean shit the only prolonged absence has been Ashley Johnson, and that's because she's busy being a TV actress, which requires you to be on set. You can record voiceover from the other side of the country. Team Four Star is split among like half a dozen states at least.
>>43472188
>>43472251
Only cards I've seen where for magic items.
>My point is that they just kind of fail their way through every situation, but still manage to come out assuming they know how they did it.
Isn't that how all RPGs work?
The only
>>
>>43472251
>Look, what you need to understand is that they didn't stop and say "Man, how can we not fight this thing, but still solve this?" It started out with them attacking the thing, using their spells to get an edge on it to defeat it, and then ended with them meeting a dude and realizing "Oh this dude means this isn't a combat thing."

I really can't agree with that. That they planned on combat is just them being reasonable given what they knew. Giant bird monster thing is attacking, how could they not plan for combat? When they saw another option they took it.

If they were as you described they would have continued with the combat plan and ignored the other option. They didn't.

The DM gives out cards for magic items, that is all I've seen. Probably a hold over from those Pathfinder card decks.
>>
My favorite recent moment is Marisha's realization of (and subsequent horror at) what's hanging from the Sun Tree and Travis and Sam not getting it. The "what?"s are so empty of comprehension, they're truly confused by what's going on.
I have to admit, even I was NOPEing internally when Mercer mentioned theyd strung up some random bear
>>43472522
It was clear combat wasn't the only option when they saw the roc feeding its child. As soon as that happened, they were like "wait a minute this is just a bird feeding its young"
>>
>>43471370
I also just finished 26. They have up to 30 posted on their website. Plus a second special with Vox Moronica.

>>43471890
>>43472064
I really like Tiberius/Orion most of the time, although him metagaming gets a little annoying.

But good news friends. As of the most recent episode he has left Critical Role (and all his other hosting jobs on G&S).
>>
>>43473734
>But good news friends. As of the most recent episode he has left Critical Role (and all his other hosting jobs on G&S).

How come? Did he say something?
>>
>>43474148
No, he's been absent the last two episodes and they put up a message on the 28th saying he left the campaign, but no reason why.

He didn't give an indication either, as his twitter seems to be him insisting that his character will appear in other things, so I guess he was just not having fun or angry about the way the game was going.
>>
>>43473734
>>43474148
http://geekandsundry.com/important-message-from-the-critical-role-team/
The last time we saw him he said "I need to take care of something" and left.
DM's voice made me think he had cancer or something, he sounded sad as fuck, voice breaking and everything
>>
So there's now an open position for a voice actor to play a caster.
Who do you want to see, and what kind of caster do you want them to play?
Remember, any answer that isn't Steve Blum as a gravelly-voiced wizard is wrong.
>>
>>43474451
He did mention that he was being treated for cancer in an earlier episode, maybe it was worse than they thought
>>
>>43474515
I hope they bring back mary, zahra was pretty cool
>>
>>43474451
nah this video doesn't sound like cancer at all sounds like they were beefing
>>
>>43474740
>beefing with a dying cancer man
>>
>>43474148
He personally announced on twitter that he had been diagnosed with cancer. It's entirely possible that either his treatment schedule would conflict with his hosting and D&D schedule or he just wants to make sure he's alright when he finally comes back.
>>
>>43474922
I've been looking through twitter stuff and what others have put together. It looks like a problem with the players. Something happened, he said something, probably several things (apparently he is famous for not having a filter).

How he has been playing his character has probably started to cause problems within the party.
>>
>>43474651
He mentioned being diagnosed in one of the side episodes
>>43475089
The straw that broke the tarrasque's back was probably killing that old woman. Both in and out of character.
>>43472251
SPEAKING OF PATHETIC FUCKS
>https://www.reddit.com/r/criticalrole/comments/3qn9wg/orion_acaba_will_no_longer_be_appearing_on/
>This is incredibly painful for me. I feel pathetic, but it is. Orion was my friend who never really knew me. He was there every week, and now he's gone, like all my friends. I tried to watch last night, it wasn't the same, it's never going to be the same. And no one will tell us what really happened. Closure helps people move on. Not knowing what happened is going to leave this part of me missing, wondering if Orion was fired because of a directing decision, because of another job he took, I have no idea. I have no right to know or ask for an answer. But I'm torn up inside. Everyone keeps teelibg me I need to cool it, and that I'm taking it way too hard. But my experiences...and medical conditions, made me this way. I can't help it.
>>
>>43475206
Meanwhile in more rational posting
>Anyone who was watching the show could see the group tension rising regarding how Orion was playing his character, beginning with the Beholder fight, which he was afraid to even participate in. Orion was so attached to his character that he quit taking chances, acting heroically, and wanted to be so OP that he was never in danger. In addition, he was constantly making his own plans and taking his own initiatives without consulting the group, which was causing a fair amount of tension.
>I think maybe the last straw was when he attempted to use his back story to bring in an army from Draconia to fight the vampires. I was a bit miffed at this gambit as well. Sure, his character suffers in the wisdom department, and this could be seen as "in character," but why not just have a friendly god come down and eliminate the Briarwoods and everything else standing in the party's way? It doesn't make for a particularly good story if there is no realistic danger to the characters and the story relies on some outside agency to determine the outcome. I feel gyped when I read a story in which the outcome is not reliant on the protagonist. It's the work of a lazy author.
>Orion created and inhabited a great character, whom I will miss. But maybe he just couldn't deal with not having a script to ensure that his character was going to be alright in the end and couldn't bring himself to rely on a fickle die roll to determine outcomes. But that's D&D.
>>
>>43474515
that guy who plays lucas montbarren in DSIII, who is also the wizard in Diablo III
>>
>>43475478
That would be Crispin Freeman
>>
>>43475528
cheers. I had looked him up at some point since I recognized the voice between games.
>>
>>43474515
Steve Blum as the team Gandalf would be great, but Steve doesn't strike me as the type to roleplay.

Maybe Fred Tatiascore. Or Chris Sabat.
>>
>>43474515
Well, the reason I even watched in the first place was because I saw the Vin Diesel thing and said "Man, I wish my man Liam O'Brien played D&D".

All my BBEGs are voiced by Illidan, since it's the only impression I'm good at.

Outside of him, I don't know any I'd want to see on there.

>>43476406
Steve Blum was on set at least once and posted his own video of pictures he took there.
>>
>>43476467
D&D is becoming more and more popular amongst the various actors and actresses in Hollywood.

Or they're at least admitting that they do play tabletop RPGs.
>>
File: costello.gif (6 MB, 636x479) Image search: [Google]
costello.gif
6 MB, 636x479
>>43476467
>Steve Blum was on set.

Gotta find these pics and dream of him playing "Spike Mugen the Russian Sorcerer."
>>
>>43476563
Well, I think the benefit of Critical Role (which actually irritates me a bit because it's the opposite of me) is that it's a video of attractive people doing nerdy shit, so when people see it they only see the entertainment value of the hobby, not the stigma that would prevent them from evaluating it if the people they saw were normal uggos like you and me.

As for actors, I can only assume that if you spend your career working in anime and video games, playing these fantasy characters and reading fantasy scripts and going to cons all the time, you kind of just pick up a love of the nerdy shit. Actors are probably the same way.
>>
>>43476623
I forget which actress it is, but one of the older actresses (I think she's in her 50's or 60's) picked up the habit from her kids and she's now in a gaming group.

I know Jamie Lee Curtis did some cosplay stuff with her kids (like she went to Evo as Vega as her present to him for his graduation from high school).
>>
Which of the guest characters did you like most?
Lyra was adorable, but I have to give it to zahra, she was just that awesome
>>
>>43471665
>projecting this hard
You must really have some insecurities, anon.
>>
>>43478708
Will Friedle was the greatest thing to happen to Critical Role.
>>
>>43476623
If you're an uggo, do something about it you fuck.

Anyway, there's a lot of postulating in this thread about "what I would do" in their situation, so that's really fucking pathetic. On subject, I like it, the players are fun, Matt's great, and for the most part the game moves smoothly. It's a nice weekly watch.
>>
>>43478883
>do something about it you fuck.

I do. It's called rape.
>>
>>43467761
Kind of boring, DESU. Like other people said, they move through it fairly fast and so I don't really get invested in it.

Could definitely make a good anime or cartoon or whatever though.
>>
>>43478936
What is the desu magic? senpai ikr desu kthxbai
>>
>>43478780
Fair enough, can we agree they were the best guests from their respective groups?
>>
>>43479377
Their competition was Wil Wheaton and Felicia day.

Either way, I wasn't trying to say that Mary did a bad job at all, I quite liked her contribution.
>>
>>43479389
That both had some pretty great lines toward the end
And pretty much everyone beats wheat-one
Still, witnessing the wheatoning was insane
>>
Who is best girl?
>>
File: Emi_concerned.png (429 KB, 443x529) Image search: [Google]
Emi_concerned.png
429 KB, 443x529
>>43480098
>>
>>43479435
What happened with the will wheaton episode? I have to know since I'm still on episode 1
>>
>>43480098
Vex
>>
>>43480150
He failed almost every roll, his most common roll being a 2 before modifiers
>>
>>43476623
there's no oneo in any three of my groups I would call an uggo. One of them is a handsome as fuck manlet. Sorry to tell you, but being an uggo isn't normal.
>>
File: MakotoSad.jpg (10 KB, 215x200) Image search: [Google]
MakotoSad.jpg
10 KB, 215x200
>Tiberius leaving the party and his player having cancer
Shit, I'm only one ep 8 and he was my favorite character
>>
>>43467761
I don't like when people like you just advertise shows. What are you looking for, justification for liking this? Someone to dictate what you should like, or are you some fan/PR person trying to do viral marketing for a web show that has already BOOKED VIN DIESEL. Why the holy fuck does this need a thread? If you honestly want to help someone play better or something, you can be like, "Hey you could try this, like these guys did in this campaign *link*" in the relevant thread, in reply to a question/problem.
>>
>>43481520
Perhaps he wants to discuss the thing he likes with people of similar tastes, like some kind of topic on a board of discussions
>>
>>43475223
I think the main problem with the briarwoods and his behavior there was that he, as a player, seemed to truly believe that this 'army' was going to show up. He wasn't doing it because he felt his character would do it, while laughing to the side about how silly it is. He seemed to honestly believe that he was going to get an army to show up and do this for him.

On a side note, and I saw this annoy the other characters a few times, he always tries to insert himself as the agent/hero when something is going on. If someone else is about to do something cool - he has to try and grab some of that spotlight.

>>43481467
You have about twenty more episodes to go with him. Watch for it, you will see people becoming annoyed with him. There is some player vs player conflict going on in the background.
>>
>>43481520
I agree, how dare these people discuss something that relates directly to the topic of a forum that they enjoy. Must be a fiftycenter. All of them.
>>
>>43481593
I'm not even sure I want to now. They all seemed so happy playing together, I don't wanna see the party dissolve...
>>
>>43481615
It never really dissolves. There is never more than a few moments of tensions.

Most of those only obvious with hindsight.

Watch and enjoy. Honestly, the show is better with six people. It feels a bit empty at first. But six allows everyone to get a bit more face time. Eight was just a bit much.

Of course, if the players could at least become familiar with the rules that would really help smooth things out...
>>
>>43467761
I think it's pretty great, a lot of people are complaining about the pace and how quickly/easy things are for the players and the reason for that is that it is streamed.

they need to resolve things and progress because they have people paying them to play the game.

remember it took them 2 and a half years to get to level 9, now they're level 12/13 in about 6 months.

Simply put the pacing is broken because it's not a weekly thing.
>>
>>43478883
there are some aspects of ugliness you just can't work past, like if you happen to look like the hero of kvatch.
>>
Watching other people roleplay on tv is boring as shit.
>>
File: 1410944248324.png (710 KB, 576x864) Image search: [Google]
1410944248324.png
710 KB, 576x864
>>43482551
>roleplay on TV
>on TV
>TV
>>
So, who's your favorite pc?
Favorite npc?
>>
>>43487481
Favorite PC: probably Grog. He's brutal and a total juggernaut, but when he's not fighting he's like a little kid.

Favorite NPC: Probably a tie between Gilmore and Victor, the black-powder merchant. Gilmore is just so flamboyant and into Vax. Victor was so crazed and hilarious, but only for the little bit if time we saw him.
>>
>>43476406
>Fred Tatiascore as an Ogre PC

Literally the best.
>>
>>43487707
It also helps when Grog is fucking Knuckles from Sonic Boom.
>>
>>43476813
>I forget which actress it is, but one of the older actresses (I think she's in her 50's or 60's) picked up the habit from her kids and she's now in a gaming group.
Dame Judi Dench learned it from Vin Diesel on the set of Chronicles of Riddick. She's her kids' GM.
>>43479389
Honestly Lyra was cool. Felicia Day made it clear that she was in on the joke, Lyra was supposed to be genuinely irritating in a way that most characters of her nature aren't.
>>43480317
His tough-guy posturing was painful to see/hear.
>>
>>43487481
>PC
Vax. And I don't believe Liam O'Brien for one second when he says "no, Vax doesn't have a death wish". I can see it in his eyes, he knows we're on to him.
>NPC
GLORIOUS FUCKING GILMORE
>>
Is the vin diesel episode worth watching, or should I just skip it?
>>
>>43490735
It's....yeah, it's not really that good. The only moment worth it is watching Vin roll a nat 20 and get excited about it. But it's basically 10 minutes of gameplay.
>>
>>43490735
It's alright. Could be worse. Like >>43490813 said the high point is Diesel getting hyped about his "CRITICAL!", plus the surrealness of watching Vin Diesel play D&D.

The Witch Hunter class Mercer made for him has the potential to be cool. There's a PDF of it you can download off the G&S site.
>>
>>43490813
>>43490997
Wow, he doesn't even get a "how do you want to do this?", that's just sad
>>
>>43491075
Oh, he got a, "How do you want to do this?" It was his nat20.
>>
>>43488779
>His tough-guy posturing was painful to see/hear.

That episode was another I fast forwarded through. Both of the guest players were playing edgy mcedgerson characters. Fucking hated it.

The only problem I had with the Felicia Day episode is that both of the guest players tried way too hard to suck all the oxygen out of the room. They were far too obviously putting on a performance as opposed to sitting down and playing a game.
>>
>>43491144
Wil was just fucking annoying, and it was made worse by the fact that he was like "Oh man, I always play charismatic and clever characters, this is the first time I got to play a surly, angry guy.", thinking he did well.

Wil never does anything well. He ruins everything.
>>
>>43490735
I enjoyed it. But it is really too short. More of a side quest feeling as opposed to an adventure.

It barely stops and it is over.

One thing I liked was the format. While a bit over produced, a bit like that Wil thing in that respect. I liked how the players and DM were seated so the audience could watch the play. That was a nice format.
>>
>>43491125
Well, maybe I'll watch it for that
>>
>>43491163
He should have played a halfling and rerolled those one's. His putting on an act was horrible. But I hold that both were.

I really found it to be painful to watch. It was like watching a couple of twelve year olds trying to be gangsta or some shit.

Think about that cleric character. Now imagine if someone came to tg and then described how 'that guy' introduced his character and explained that was his background. It would probably get screen capped for badness.

"We got this game going, but decided to invite two guys to join us for a one shot quest. Here are there characters, what do you think tg."

I can just imagine...
>>
>>43475223
>>43481593
I'm actually really glad and relieved Orion is out of the game. His childish behavior with the beholder was the start of a tumultuous road of his character and ego getting out of control. The last episode he was in topped it off. I get the feeling Orion is pretty socially awkward too, he doesn't seem to notice when he's clearly ruining people's fun, or blurts out the cringiest things that fucking erection comment jesus christ
All in all I think the party really benefited, and maybe this opens up a spot for a new VA spellcaster. And Pike. Ashley a cute.
>>43488779
>She's her kids' GM
Can you source me on that? Sounds too crazy to believe.
>>
>>43487481
Vax'ildan. Liam is imo the most involved player and if the party would have a leader/face it'd be him. He and Taliesin (percy) are the only ones trying to nuance their characters.

No npc beats Gilmore though.
>>
>>43491338
>Can you source me on that? Sounds too crazy to believe.
It's a well-known fact
>>
>>43491338
>I get the feeling Orion is pretty socially awkward too, he doesn't seem to notice when he's clearly ruining people's fun, or blurts out the cringiest things that fucking erection comment jesus christ
Now put that moment next to Scanlan in last week's episode, describing himself having his morning piss as his movement action during a vampire fight. Everyone thought that was hilarious. It's literally high school, where the autist of the group tries to be crass like the crass guy of the group but he doesn't have the reputation for being crass so it doesn't come off as funny or endearing, just weird.
And Mercer shut his romantic subplot down hard as fuck when Alura found out about the old woman.
>>43491512
>Old one...are you willing to trade today?
I swear, that shit gave me goosebumps, he was way too intense.
>>
>>43492397
I have to agree that 90% of what Sam does with his bard is completely fucking retarded.

Like, he's trying to play a suave guy who can talk his way through situations, and then most of what he does is "lol i take a magic shit on the floor. isn't that funny?"

He's had a few decent moments, where he actually managed to pull real humor or cool results out of a situation, but almost everything he does is grounds for me saying get the fuck away from my gaming table.

I like Liam most of the time, I just feel like he kind of just barrels through a lot of situations with the intent of pulling off some real badass move even if it means pushing ahead of everyone else, but a lot of the time it just comes off kind of dick-ish.

Like when he just knocks that kid with the tent out. Really? REALLY? Did you really think that would make you look cool? Com on, now.
>>
>>43492560
>but almost everything he does is grounds for me saying get the fuck away from my gaming table.
Like I said, it's different when you have the reputation for being the crass one. This game has been going on for three years now, only the last 6 months have been recorded and those 6 seconds Liam recorded and put on Vine of the exact moment Pike died. That's a lot of time to build something up.
Side note, I found this trailer Ashley Johnson made just over a year ago for the campaign when they were just in someone's house
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rsks5PWfG8
>I just feel like he kind of just barrels through a lot of situations with the intent of pulling off some real badass move even if it means pushing ahead of everyone else, but a lot of the time it just comes off kind of dick-ish.
Which is why some people think Liam created Vax has a death wish as a character aspect. He's charging into incredibly dangerous situations because he wants to die, but his rolls won't let him.
>Like when he just knocks that kid with the tent out. Really? REALLY? Did you really think that would make you look cool? Com on, now.
That was explained literally a minute later. The kid clearly wasn't prepared at all, it was a "scared straight" thing.
>>
>>43492704
Does that kid ever come back?
>>
>>43495184
Vax promised the kid that if he actually buckled down and took this seriously, he would take the kid up as his very own apprentice. Then he sends them home.
Vax wants to go find him to actually be good to his word, so he asks around - on the pretense of owing a gambling debt - and goes to his house. The kid hasn't been seen for a while, but his father (who may be abusive) says that he does this kind of thing all the time, running away from home to go on "adventures", and that he'll be back before long.
Then the Briarwoods showed up in Imon.
>>
>>43495285
That's the episode i'm working on, actually
I was just wondering if he popped up later
>>
Is it just me, or does grog fall for every woman capable of gratuitous violence?
>>
Still working on the series, does percy actually build a machine gun at some point?
Are there any more new contraptions after diplomacy?
>>
>>43472050

>Learn how to tell a fucking story
>By stretching content that you could go through in a matter of weeks into a matter of months

On behalf of all your players, past, present, and future, never do this. There is absolutely nothing more boring than a GM thinking he can get a month of mileage out of a session's worth of ideas.

You're right. There is a pace to games. That pace is not an epic. It is a TV show at its shortest, a movie at a bit longer, and a book at its absolute longest. More sessions to go over the same material is not more good.
>>
>>43498145
Narrative requires certain things. Events need room to breathe, time to develop, and enough investment from the players so that their resolution actually means something.

The less sessions you use per plot thread, the less developed it is, the less impact it has.
>>
>>43498168

The poster literally said he'd turn 3 sessions into over 15.

There is absolutely nothing short of a full campaign arc that warrants 15 sessions. Period. I am tired of lazy GMs failing to realize that they need to look at individual sessions as things where stuff should actually happens.

I have been in plenty of these "campaigns" where "the good stuff" comes later, and they're invariably shit for a variety of different reasons. Either the campaign dies and weeks of "buildup" amount to nothing, or you are getting absolutely nothing done each session.

In trying to see the forest, you've failed to see the trees. Each arc requires a beginning, a middle, and an end, but so does each SESSION. You apparently think you can cruise on 8 session's worth of buildup for maybe one or two sessions of "shit gets real," which is why your sessions are garbage.
>>
File: 1438590241548s.jpg (9 KB, 250x235) Image search: [Google]
1438590241548s.jpg
9 KB, 250x235
>>43482485
>like if you happen to look like the hero of kvatch.

Take these keks, it's all I've got.
>>
>>43498331
I think the truth here is a bit in the middle of the two of you. The DM I think is obviously a bit rushed at times by the length of the show. He probably did more foreshadowing when they were running eight our sessions, and can't do as much now with three hour ones.

But the idea of turning one of these sessions in to five...is just crazy. I could see adding twenty minutes of time on to a session here, maybe an hour on the outside. But that is about it.
>>
>>43497065
He has a type
>>43498060
Whenever he builds an invention, there's always a question mark after it - it may not actually work.
>bomb arrow?
>trap arrow?
>frag grenade?
And most recently
>machine gun?
>>
Watched one episode, it was very generic with cookie cutter characters and the same "lol my bard fucks EVERYTHING" and "lol my barbarian fights EVERYTHING" jokes we heard a million times.

Am I missing anything by not watching more?
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.