[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys I want to start a Cyberpunk campaign...but I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: cover_lg.jpg (58 KB, 450x581) Image search: [Google]
cover_lg.jpg
58 KB, 450x581
Guys I want to start a Cyberpunk campaign...but I don't want it to have magic, nor do I wanted the retarded concept of
>OOOH AUGMENTATIONS MAKE YOU INSANE AND LOOSE HUMANITY WOOBALUBA DOOP
to exist in my setting.
So I was thinking about GURPS Cyberpunk.
Any tips and suggestions? I don't know shit about GURPS, what edition should I use etc.
I want to focus the game mainly on psychological aspects and on how Cyberpunk setting affects psychology and such, more Gibson less steel tits with lasers in them (Not that there is anything wrong with those).
So I am not sure, should I go Cyberpunk 2020, GURPS Cyberpunk or Cyberworld of Shadowrun without magic.
Halp.
Thanks in advance niggas.
>>
>>43458903
bump
>>
>>43458903
I don't know shadowrun, but your green-text eliminates 2020. If you want try for gurps "classic" cyberpunk, you need the core 3rd ed rulebook and the pic related book.
>>
>>43458903
Paranoia. You don't want to upset Friend Computer, do you?
>>
Basically I want to run a game that feels a lot like "Do Androids dream of electronic sheep" or "Neuromancer".
>>43459078
Okay, I will look over the rules of GURPS Cyberpunk, I just hoped that someone who had experience with system would share his opinion about it.
>>43459109
Elaborate?
>>
File: IZ2.png (945 KB, 874x677) Image search: [Google]
IZ2.png
945 KB, 874x677
If you're used to GURPS go for it by all means.

Personally I'd try Interface Zero 2.0 as it uses savage worlds and has all of Cyberpunk 2020's Gritty combat with a more clear and quick system (and less overly 80's aesthetic)

Oh and you don't lose humanity Augments just weigh down on your bodily capacity and cause fatigue in it.
>>
>>43459155
Paranoia is a game set within a massive domed city, Alpha Complex run by a supercomputer, Friend Computer. You play a government agent, a "troubleshooter" who is also one of many secret societies.

Friend Computer and everyone in Alpha Complex is absolutely insane. You're on the hunt for mutants, communists and mutant communists, often while being a mutant communist yourself.
>>
>>43459229
>troubleshooter
That's often literal job description as well as its title. You find trouble, and then you shoot it.

Oh, and to elaborate. When making a character, you always, automatically, join a secret society, gain a mutation, and live in a community where every individual works for the community and does what they can and get back what they need. Nothing is privately owned, everything is shared.
>>
File: chaika shocking truth seal.jpg (121 KB, 524x524) Image search: [Google]
chaika shocking truth seal.jpg
121 KB, 524x524
>>43459109
>>43459229
Paranoia is Orwell's 1984 not fucking Cyberpunk...

but then again with the right tweaks....
>>
>>43458903
The RL counterpart would be: "well, you will have to sink XP into mastering (operate artificial limb (type) ) and it'll be subject to skill rolls on top of the normal skill rolls for whatever you are trying to do. Also having a limb that's heavier than your original one is going to cause low-level damage to your non-artificial systems."

So stick with the magical realm solution. It's easier and less frustrating for your players.
>>
>>43459264
Paranoia has an oppressive surveillance state, omnipresent AI, cybernetics and hacking. All of the above is "high tech"

Paranoia also features pop culture references, frequent interactions with the dregs and outcasts of society, drug use, death and human slavery. The above is "low-life."

What definition could you possibly use for cyberpunk that doesn't include Paranoia?
>>
>>43459155
Paranoia is a good interesting system, though it's highly reliant on the spy/agent aspect in its police-state setting, because everyone's a illegal mutant/cult member/spy and part of the humor based play involves turning your pc "friends" in to your computer overlord. Also, clones.
>>
>>43458903
If you go for GURPS Cyberpunk, do use 4e rules. It's just 3e (which Cyberpunk was written for) but streamlined and a bit easier to use.
>>
>>43459285
no, fuck magical realm solution, I am not having it and I don't care about player frustration...well of course I want my players to enjoy the game but if that means that I have to insert retarded shit that goes absolutely against the tone and themes of the campaign I am trying to have I won't be doing that
>>
>>43458903

I think that in the future, "cybernetics kill your soul and make you less human" bullshit is going to be seen as the equivalent of racism.

I mean, imagine if there was an RPG that gave all black characters -2 INT or something. That's how people are going to look at Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 2020.
>>
Cyberpunk 2020 is generic enough that it might work. Just remove the restrictions for cyberware and you're good.

I can't see why anyone would want to use Shadowrun rules outside of Shadowrun. They're cluttered and clunky.

Gurps has generic in the name so it's probably a safe bet.
>>
File: chen at her computer.jpg (77 KB, 453x435) Image search: [Google]
chen at her computer.jpg
77 KB, 453x435
>>43459297
Paranoia is incredibly comical and is more focused on Mcarthyism witch hunting as well as one shot pvp games (which is probably not what OP is looking for). Any semblance of transhumanism is via mutants rather than cybernetics.

Most if not all cyberpunk games are also very near-future whereas Paranoia is a 1950's retro sci-fi complete with everyone using lasers as the standard weapon.

A lot of people argue what cyberpunk is, but Paranoia was definitely poking fun at a different kind of dystopia here.
>>
I think I will go for Cyberpunk 2020 and modify/remove rules that are tied to Cybernetics.
>>43459400
Exactly this.
>>
>>43459411
Which system is better if party is not familiar with GURPS
Here are the games we have played

DnD 4 e and 5 e
Pathfinder
nWoD
D20 Call of Cthulhu
Exalted
>>
>>43459400
I think it's less that they kill your soul and more that it resembles prejudice from society and disconnects you from reality by making you more and more superhuman.

I've worked in a school for children with special conditions and we had a couple that were born without the ability to feel pain. They tend to be very aggressive and have an extremely underdeveloped empathy. I've seen one of them kick a dent into a steel door, break his leg and continue walking. It's crazy.

Now imagine you can't feel pain, can shrug of small calibre bullets and move twice as fast as a normal human while thinking half as fast as a computer.
>>
File: jensen.jpg (525 KB, 1280x1699) Image search: [Google]
jensen.jpg
525 KB, 1280x1699
>>43459400
>>43459430
I mean you guys played human revolution right...
>>
>>43459458
Difference is that these were born and developed in a society and they have certain pre-implanted morals in their minds that they will try to emulate even if they become full androids.
Now if the person was sociopathic anyway that's a whole different story and I think that these sort of things should be handled in character instead of mandatory points.
>>
>>43459470
>Human revolution
yes and I also played a superior game, Deus Ex
...pleb
>>
>>43459453
Cyberpunk 2020.
Archetypes feel destinct but have enough customizability to not always be the same.
Huge variety of cyberware and less focused on combat-related ones than Shadowrun.
Relatively easy but lethal system.

Alternatively you could check out that Cyberpunk supplement for oWoD.
>>
>>43459453
Interface Zero 2.0 :3c

Yes, I'm the guy from >>43459207 but you get to use all your dice, its quick, easy to learn and gives you a lot of room for homebrewing

here's a link

Savage Worlds: DE
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Y0G31SFHCZUGZEQkFtR0cyQVk

Interface Zero 2.0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Y0G31SFHCZQzRZSVdDcGZBMFk
>>
>>43459484
/gb2/ >>/v/

I'm just saying that point has already been brought up in that game. its not exactly a new idea.
>>
>>43459477
Well, I never said how it's implemented in games is well done.
In Shadowrun it's basically "cyber hurts your magic mojo jojo".
But I can see where they were coming from and I think it's an interesting concept.

Having been a Shadowrun GM for more than a decade now though I can both trust the average player to not roleplay any psychological impact cyber might have and act like a psychopath regardless of ware or no ware.
>>
>>43459503
I will check it out, thanks
Are augments varied and interesting? Also are there tons of splats?
>>
Corporation, Eclipse Phase, Nova Praxis. IIRC they all do what you're after to some degree.
>>
>>43458903
go for eclipse phase, its exactly what you're looking for.
>>
>>43459367
I don't think you'll find many players who'll accept that their fancy new cyberarm +2str come with an additional skill roll whenever they try to punch somebody, shoot something that's moving, operate a keyboard under stress or drive a vehicle in a getaway.

Or that their legs will make them fall on their face after they spilled the spaghetti due to a failed seduce roll.
>>
>>43459453
HERO system without a doubt. Make any kind of cyberware you want without any restrictions if that's what you want. Great flexibility, very easy, and no, you don't need a calculator if you know some basic maths and that's only for character generation anyway. It's fab.
>>
>>43458903
>loose
I hate you.
>>
>>43458903
Play Ex Machina. It has everything you want.
>>
>>43459285
Most cyberpunk assumes a brain/machine interface the allows people to control, and sense, a prosthesis with little trouble. This isn't acutely that unrealistic, while full haptic feedback prosthetic limbs aren't yet available there is no reason to think they won't be within the next thirty years.

GURPS, as OP pictures, would cover the learning curve of adapting to new implants by the character points they cost. If you have a prosthetic limb that performs as normal but gives you +4 Arm ST with (-50%) worth of cybernetic-based drawbacks for it then it cost 20 points. (and you lose 80% of the points you got for the One Arm flaw, as it now has a mitigation).
>>
File: giphy.gif (252 KB, 500x224) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
252 KB, 500x224
If anyone is up for some cyberpunk 2020, send me a message on r20

https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/34730/cyberpunk-2020-los-angeles
>>
>>43460187

Not this that guy

Auto correct is a bitch. Make me sound like a 12 year old when I am typing fast because I am angry. Doesn't help matters.
>>
Gut eclipse phase. Or alpha omega. Only weirdness to their Augs is a cap on your ascension level.
>>
>>43459297
Paranoia is satirical dystopia, not cyberpunk. Look to the literature for its origin, not whether it has cybernetics. Lensman had cybernetics and it's not considered cyberpunk. Cyberpunk isn't just a random grab-bag of scifi tropes.
>>
>>43459155
>Basically I want to run a game that feels a lot like "Do Androids dream of electronic sheep" or "Neuromancer".

Remember Tomorrow is basically Gibson the RPG.
>>
>>43461464
Does it feature his recent socia justice leanings?
>>
>>43461583
No, not that I saw. Remember Tomorrow is an RPG that emulates the lyrical and free-flowing plot style of Gibson's Sprawl novels.

http://gregorhutton.com/boxninja/remember/
>>
>>43461737
Anon, I'm trying to bitch about something tangentially related, as well as the smell of long chain monomers.

But shiny. Cheers.
>>
>>43460654
I hate how it mixes up "were" and "we're".
>>
>>43459285
>having a limb that's heavier than your original one is going to cause low-level damage to your non-artificial systems.

Pssh. Limbs having to mass more in a cyberpunk setting when it isn't even a problem today?

Show me the prosthetic limb in this image that you think masses more than what it's replacing.

Actually, that's too hard and not fair.

Show me ANY limb design that weighs more than the original. Give me even an edge case to validate your ridiculous argument. Just come up with something better than a glass eye design unchanged from the last few centuries.

No, really, you find some retarded design where a peg leg was forged out of lead and I'll conceed that you're right. That easy, hell fire up MSPAINT for five minutes to win, I'm begging you.

Otherwise that's just plain crazy talk.
>>
>>43461583
I'm sorry, what are you talking about? Last book I read from him was Pattern Recognition, and I'd hardly call it SJW.
>>
>>43460960
Alpha Omega is fucking beastly man. The art alone is worth the price tag. I scored both books at a Half-Price Books and I fucking LOVE the setting and art.

The rules, not so much.

And the company seems defunct or some shit.
>>
>>43458903
Ninjas and Superspies
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.