[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Standard MTG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7
File: despoilerofsouls.jpg (44 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
despoilerofsouls.jpg
44 KB, 265x370
Standard MTG thread

Rate my Golgari graveyard aggro

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/golgari-graveyard-aggro-1/

It can really get in there, with easy turn 4-5 kills. I feel like the graveyard isn't really necessary, but I don't know other black aggro cards that would work on curve. I'm thinking of cutting the gurmags and putting in two more Become Immense
>>
>>43443746
Is this magica cards?
>>
>>43443746
Tasigur?
>>
Would someone rate mine? I think assault formation is pretty cool.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/assault-formation-standard-2/
>>
>>43443944
I suppose that would be better then the gurmags.
>>
>>43443959
Seems pretty fun but I'd try and include some more removal or counters against decks that go wide.
>>
>>43443746
People play standard? It costs as much as modern now and rotates every like 4 months, who even has that kind of money? They don;t even have budget decks anymore.

Bravo on wizards successfully hating the non-rich out of magic
>>
>>43444724
You can always draft and prerelease. I don't have much money, so I usually just trade around for cards I need with good cards I pull from draft/sealed.
>>
>>43444790
So, never play constructed.

Honestly, I welcome this games inevitable demise to HS and the like
>>
>>43444812
Hearthstone is literally imploding right now because of how much the base game sucks.
>>
>>43444900
So it's almost as bad as standard "worst most stagnated and pricey metagame in the games history" is? Not to mention it is currently impossible for new players to get into any constructed format
>>
Convert to Pokemon TCGO

Cheap as fuck and can actually get codes for the packs you purchase.
>>
>>43444929

> Opinions are facts
>>
>>43444812
> HS
> Non reactive
> Play only during your turn
> Mana is given for free, so no deeper thoughts go into deckbuilding
> cant go more casual
> playerbase is horrible

Yeah, seems like the future of cardgames.
>>
Guess what? The only people to blame are the price speculating faggots who artificially inflate card values so they can make an extra $10 on a negligible investment. There is literally no reason why any, much less multiple, standard cards currently in fucking print should be going for more than $20 at the absolute high end.
>>
>>43445041
dont forget the games is mostly dice rolls
>>
Collectible, accessible, competitive. You can only have two.
>>
File: c4rd4rt_mp9vR4xNwb.jpg (85 KB, 750x450) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4rt_mp9vR4xNwb.jpg
85 KB, 750x450
Still working on my Jeskai Zada brew. I need a fourth Zada and two more swiftspears, but other than those I should have all the cards I need. Also, if you're going to suggest an addition, it helps to also suggest something you think should be cut.

Here's the list:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zada-bing-zada-boom-2/
>>
>>43444724
My approach for building for standard is to look at the cards I already have and see what I can come up with, buying cheap singles to get everything I need. I look online to see what other people are playing and come to decks like this one for suggestions. If a deck I see requires four Jaces then I don't make that deck.

I don't have a pro tour streak to be concerned with, so even if I build a shitty deck I can just shrug, take it appart, and build something else.
>>
>Building elf tribal in standard for some time.
>Elvish Mystic rotates out
>No one-drop mana dorks to replace it.

Feels pretty bad. The only one that fits is gnarlroot trapper and I'd have to splash black pretty hard to consistently get him out turn one.
>>
>>43445191
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dice_sum_central_limit_theorem.svg
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_limit_theorem
0 dice rolls>20 dice rolls>2 dice rolls so long as the randomness takes up an equal portion of the game in comparison to skill. Whether that is true for HS is debatable but the increase in random seeds alone actually reduces total variance.
>>43445193
>Collectible
>accessible
How? I'm pretty sure that those are the only mutually exclusive pairing.
>>
>>43447830
I think it's intended to mean the usability and complexity of the rules, and how easy it is for new players to get the hang of the rules.

It's not a great question, because accessability is always going to be left out. I don't need a game to be simple to understand it.
>>
>>43446011
You want black anyways for shaman of the pack and removal and gnarlroot is pretty useful for the deathtouch vs big creature decks. I don't see the problem m80.
>>
>>43448661
I have a four set of shaman of the pack already, but it was practically the only black cards in the deck besides murderous cut.

Also, is it my imagination or does Evolutionary Leap work great in every green deck right now?
>>
File: 1311804670582.jpg (37 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
1311804670582.jpg
37 KB, 268x265
What's the /tg/ verdict on Fetchs Lands value after the rotation on January?/February?

I have seen people already unloading them and even some players insist that they will go back to being $5 or $10. On the other hand other players insist that the cards will never go down to $20 ever again and that if you don't buy them now you're retarded because they are supposely "Modern staples", but the Modern list I saw barely play any of them.

So who's right?
>>
>>43449100
your window to get them will probably be one or two months after ktk rolls out of standard.
after that you will join the idiots who kept spouting >muh fetches >muh prices >muh poorfagginess
>>
>>43449100
>, but the Modern list I saw barely play any of them.

Hey buddy I think you got the wrong door. Casual club is two blocks down.
>>
>>43449100

Let me put this as explicitly as I can. Fetches are absolutely worth investing in.

The price of them will probably dip briefly when KTK leaves Standard, as a lot of people with them will probably try and offload them for a bit of quick cash. After that though the only way is up for their price. They'll never reach the heights they used to be, with Polluted Delta commanding something like $80 for one, but they'll definitely go up in price. Just look at what happened to the price of the shocklands, I see no reason why the fetches won't follow the same trend.
>>
>>43449100
They may dip when they rotate out of Standard, but they will absolutely go up afterwards

Just look at every single cards that is played in formats outside of Standard; they all follow the same exact trend.

>Card is played outside of Standard even while in rotation
>Card is a hefty price as a format staple
>Price dips briefly post-Standard rotation
>Price rises to above that of its price while it was in Standard rotation, because it is no longer being opened

Lands are especially worthwhile. If you "invest" in anything, it should be Fetch or Dual lands, because they are assured to maintain value, whatever that value may be
>>
Any thoughts on this B/W midrange list I've been tinkering with? It seems to have a fair chance against most decks, but anyone who curves out puts me on the backfoot pretty quickly.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/is-it-tax-season-yet-wb-midrange/
>>
>yfw Wizards prints lands that can fetch 3 colors in Oath of the Gatewatch
>>
Random newbie question, what is easier to get into, Standard or Modern?
>>
>>43450343
Standard. Less cards, slower format, only newest sets.
>>
>>43450325
That would unbalance both the game and the secondary market like you wouldn't believe. They're not going to do something stupid like that for the same reason they won't reprint the original duals.
>>
>>43450325
>It's an uncommon
Why are 'basic' lands rare anyways? Even when you consider limited, there's no reason for that to ever be the case.
For how clunkly the mana system is, wizards sure does enjoy making sure it stays clunky.
>>
>>43450506
Thanks.

Any tips? Good places to find information on standard?
>>
File: HardenedScales.jpg (39 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
HardenedScales.jpg
39 KB, 223x311
Any good replacement for this after rotation for the G/W Scales deck?

I like the deck concept but this rotating out kills the deck I guess?
>>
File: feeling it.gif (298 KB, 379x329) Image search: [Google]
feeling it.gif
298 KB, 379x329
>>43450803
No.

;)
>>
>>43450803
it kills the deck.

it isn't like its rotating out till fucking april man, chill.
>>
>>43444724
Aristocrats is a budget deck.
Mono Green Ramp is a budget deck.

Both have taken top 8's. Don't get mad at other players because you're poor and suck at Magic.
>>
>>43451169

>mono green ramp
>500$
>budget
>>
>>43446011
>I want to play elves
>1-mana mana dork rotated
>2-mana elf mana dork with haste available
>it sees modern play
>"Wahh, I can't play my deck now, Wahhh!"
>>
>>43451223
>>it sees modern play

List? I'm just curious now.
>>
>>43451200
How in the hell do you get $500 out of 4 Ulamogs and some den protectors? Are you trying to be this retarded or are you looking at another list?
>>
>>43451244
You'll have to look through SCG's modern top 8s. There was a recent Elves list that ran him.
>>
>>43451280
>>43451200
>>43451169
4 Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
1 From Beyond
4 Hedron Archive
4 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
4 Nissa's Renewal
4 Foundry of the Consuls
3 Nissa's Pilgrimage
4 Hangarback Walker
2 Den Protector
4 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
4 Rattleclaw Mystic
4 Explosive Vegetation
14 Forest

Sideboard
4 Jaddi Offshoot
1 Retreat to Kazandu
1 Den Protector
1 Whisperwood Elemental
4 Winds of Qal Sisma
2 Gaea's Revenge
2 Windstorm

Each Hangarback Walker is $18, set $74
Each Den Protector is $16, set $64
Each Ulamog is $16, set $64
Each Ugin is $30, set $120

About $322 asumming someone gave you for free everything else.
The real question is then, a deck $300 budget can really be considered budget friendly?
>>
>>43451280

I thought green ramp was running a playset ofUgin and hangarback, at least that's what top8 told me.
>>
>>43444007
That's why I had a "?" Was because it's obviously a better card, but I didn't know what your budget was
>>
Help a nigga out with some Izzet Spellpunching

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shifty-spellfists/

It's a rough draft and I feel like I need more buffs for the Spellfists, but I'm not sure of what to use. Maybe a Goggles to copy shit
>>
>>43450745
Not that Anon, but it depends what you mean by "easy" I would personally recommend going to a few drafts at your local card shop to see if you like playing competitive magic at all. Then as you do play drafts you get a feel for what color you like best before you invest in either a standard or modern deck. Some people like limited (playing draft or sealed deck formats) so much that they only ever play that. But I originally played draft and built up a standard deck and then went back to draft just because I liked it better. Now I am starting to build up a modern deck as I come into some rare's to trade up for.

As for where to get good info on standard, a lot of people (myself included) use a website called Channelfireball, some use tappedout.net, or listen to a podcast called constructed resources (limited resources is used for draft). Best thing I found as well was to just look up youtube videos of recent Grand Prix events (Indianapolis being the most recent) and seeing what some of the top brass are using in their decks.

Hope it helps get you started! Glad to see a new player coming into the fold.
>>
>>43452094
Thanks for the advice. Recently signed up for a DCI number and I'm going to my first FNM magic soon.

I might try draft first as you suggested.
>>
>>43449612
Outside of steam vents the shocks are fairly cheap since they were reprinted though. Most are in the 8-10 dollar range.
>>
>>43453037
>>43449612
>Just look at what happened to the price of the shocklands, I see no reason why the fetches won't follow the same trend.
>Most are in the 8-10 dollar range.

Indeed.
Hallowed Fountain, Watery Grave, Blood Crypt, Stomping Ground, Temple Garden, Godless Shrine, Overgrown Tomb and Sacred Foundry are all $10 or lower depending where you order.
Only Breeding Pool and Steam Vents cost more, $14...

Fetchs are guaranteed to hit $10 (or even less in the case of the non-blue ones) AND remain like that no matter how much use they see in Modern.
You aren't cashing more than $30 for them anytime soon, $80? Get real.
>>
>>43451334
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=94653
Found it, something was frisky with the top 8 system though, listed all of the decks twice.
The deck plays 8 1 mana elves and doesn't have enough forests for arbor elf or something?
In any case standard elves isn't a deck right now at all so I don't see how the 'whining' is in any way illegitimate.
Do you just hate other decks?
>>
bumpan

Why are Standard threads so dead?
>>
>>43454442
$600 standard
>>
>>43449100
Kind of related, but I got a Foil Flooded Strand (Zendikar Expeditions) the other day, should I sell it off now or wait for a while?
>>
>>43454594
Either now or in multiple years, anon.

Expeditions were hot fire right off the bat but they've been steadily falling and have somewhat stabilized now- they'll drop further when they rotate out of standard and then slowly increase over the years until they hit their 'true' cap. Could be a while though, so if you could use a couple hundred bucks within the next few years, just cash it now.
>>
>>43454690
>Tarn was $500 when BFZ first got opened
>>
>>43451998
>>43451998
pls help, I'm kind of floundering on this deck

Should I add another color? Maybe go Temur for more buffs? Become Immense might be good mid-late game
>>
File: IMG_0069.jpg (369 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0069.jpg
369 KB, 2592x1936
>open a scalding tarn
>excitedly 're-seal' the pack until I can sleeve it up properly later
>show it to a friend post-sleeve
>he inspects
>"shame about that damage though"
>wat
>pic related

I called wizards and I'm sending it back for a replacement. More veteran players confirmed that it's printer damage- there's absolutely no mark on the back at all.
>>
>>43454690
Oh, I don't really need money quick, so I suppose I'll hold onto it and hope I don't have a house fire or something, cheers!
>>
What sleeves/binders/folders do you guys use? I just got into Magic and noticed that my cards edges are getting fucked after shuffling them only a few times, so I'm planning on getting proper storage.
Any advice?
>>
>>43455086
Penny sleeves and long boxes
>>
>>43455086
Sleeve comparisons break down a few points: Price, durability, and ease of shuffle, but there are a few more factors. Matte sleeves, which all companies make these days, have an especially-textured 'grip' back that gives them their own feel compared to the 'glossy' back of others. You can tell these apart by sight if you look for a light reflection- mattes don't reflect light while glossy can blind you.

-Ultra Pros are the cheapest and have a decent shuffle, but they split (break) easily AS FUCK. These sleeves are popular because you can pick up a 50-pack to draft with for a few bucks, and they play fine right out of the package. I hate unsleeving/resleeving so I don't bother with these things.

-Dragon Shields last fucking forever but their traditionally-glossy backs are initially difficult to shuffle and collect hand-grime like nobody's business. Washing your hands before you play makes a real difference. Their new matte sleeves solve those problems but they suffer slightly in durability- diehard dragonshield fans have said the tradeoff for a better shuffle is worth it. These come in 100-packs. I've used hundreds of these- they aren't all the exact same length, which can be a little annoying.

-KMC brand has its own following because they strike a balance by having a great shuffle ('Hyper Mat" style sleeve is widely-regarded as THE best shuffle on the market) and much better durability than ultra pro. They're also the most precisely-matched, and are pretty much identical pack-to-pack. They come in packs of 80, so fine for regular decks+ a sideboard, but awkward for an EDH deck.
>>
>>43455086
Monster Binder, Hyper mattes, inked.com playmat
>>
>>43455086
if you're shuffling unsleeved cards place them down in five piles, pick them up then do it again a couple of times
it takes longer but you'll save your cards and get a fair shuffle every time
>>
I really see potential in the Landfall lists. The one from indianapolis could have easily taken first place. Such a shame I'm on a business travel and only come back when fetches rotate out.
>>
>>43455159
>>43455436
>>43455450
>>43455492
Thanks for the help! I think I'll go KMC hypermattes, and double sleeve with perfect fits for when I get particularly valuable cards.
>>
>>43449100
I remember tarns being the expensive ones at $30 4 years ago. At the time I played casual 60s and a friend ordered them as part of a group tcgplayer order.

Don't avoid buying fetches because you think the price will go down. Get them if you expect to use them. These could dip on rotation but I expect they will be held onto by most of the people who have them.
>>
>>43450325
I'll take Mirage fetches, one of them had a reprint in the duel deck which means nothing but shows they are not forgotten
>>
>>43455678
There is also ghetto double sleeves. Putting a floppies on the outside of normal sleeves. In my experience it fits well. I started doing it after the corners of my sleeves would get bent and not shuffle as well over time.
>>
>>43455678
Get a dick box too, also recommend monster for that.
>>
>>43451223
I legit forgot that guy was an elf. I'll have to consider picking up a playset next time I'm at the shop.
>>
>>43456275
Anon that's lewd
>>
File: 1381882734521.jpg (26 KB, 460x300) Image search: [Google]
1381882734521.jpg
26 KB, 460x300
>>43451223
>>I want to play elves
>>1-mana mana dork rotated
>>2-mana elf mana dork with haste available
>>it sees modern play
>>"Wahh, I can't play my deck now, Wahhh!"

2-mana haste dork that makes 3 mana on turn 2? sick dude, where can i get a set?
>>
>>43460098
If it's played in modern, you can play it in standard.
>>
>>43460098
>2-mana haste dork that makes 3 mana
What
>>
>>43455436
dragon shield mattes. Shuffle hella easy and don't get that dirty stickiness that the regular ones do. You only get to pick from 5 basic colors, but who cares. Good sleeves are good.
>>
>>43451998
Too many counterspells. I would run white for access to indestructible and things like Ascendancy, Artful Maneuver and Defiant Strike. Maybe a couple Zadas in there too. I like the idea though
>>
Played Magic for a while, but got really interested in this set. What do you think of what I made? I used thing I actually had and only got BfZ cards

Creature (25)
1x Bane of Bala Ged
+

-

1x Barrage Tyrant
2x Blight Herder
1x Breaker of Armies
1x Conduit of Ruin
1x Desolation Twin
1x Drowner of Hope
1x Forerunner of Slaughter
4x Herald of Kozilek
2x Kozilek's Channeler
4x Mist Intruder
1x Oblivion Sower
2x Ulamog's Despoiler
3x Wasteland Strangler
Land (23)
3x Evolving Wilds
10x Island
2x Looming Spires
2x Mortuary Mire
3x Mountain
3x Swamp
Instant (10)
3x Complete Disregard
4x Spell Shrivel
3x Titan's Presence
Sorcery (2)
2x Processor Assault
>>
>>43462418
Benthic Infiltrator or Mist Intruder are both good options for a prosessor deck. Their difficult or impossible to block so you can get their cards in exile faster. Transgress the Mind is also a solid choice, as it removes cards from their hand that could pose problems for you.

Get yourself more Breaker of Armies too. That card is worth its mana cost in gold.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.