[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Party Magic-User
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
Wants to create a Homunculus as their improved familar.

Do you allow this?
>>
>>43063849
> inb4 loli homunculus

Fuck off back to your magic realm.
>>
>>43063849
Assuming he means the kind in the Monster Manual and not the kind that's basically another human, then I don't see why not. If they start to derail the campaign with it then I'll fix it and start sending tougher threats their way.
>>
File: Homunculus-BrynnMetheney.jpg (220 KB, 800x582) Image search: [Google]
Homunculus-BrynnMetheney.jpg
220 KB, 800x582
>>43063849
if he means this, then fine, or something similar.
>>
Basic Homunculi aren't much better than the stat boost that a good animal familiar gives, so it's not worth the feat most of the time. If you're dead set on improved familiar, Imps and other stuff are better in almost every situation.

>>43064056
is right. If he's talking about the bestiary homunculus, it's alright, since it's just a tad less strong than the good familars and none of them shatter balance.
>>
Depends on the method of creation. If he is merely creating a new life, that would be fine, but otherwise, there would be concerns. If the method used for creation is the same type used in Full Metal Alchemist, the answer is Hell No! If it is the creation of sentient life, it becomes concerning because the forcing of said being into the familiar bond could be considered a form of enslavement, and would have negative repercussions on how others look at you.
>>
Kinda makes me want to create a homunculus. Like, sever a part of my characters soul to create a new life. Let it grow independently but stay linked to me. Kind of like a child since my character would never engage with another human being.

Fake-human familiars is a cool concept. But I think too many people would drag there magical realm fetish into it.
>>
>>43063849
Dependa on what the player wanted to do with it. I wouldn't allow it to gain XP, and we'd have to talk out how it benefits the spellcaster. I don't know, could be interesting.
>>
>>43063849
Why wouldn't you?
>>
>>43063849
Pretty sure making people is bad juju.
>>
>>43063849
>Having a level 0 entity(that is already bound as it is created by you) as your familiar and that you have to maintain twice
Literally fucktarded.

I mean, he can give it the gift of life and have it become just an entity.
>>
>>43066854
Homunculi ain't people, bud
>>
>>43067555
Yes, because OP wasn't referencing FMA with that homunculus symbol in the picture. Obviously not.
>>
>>43063849
Why not, but remember that horrible things tend to happen if you try to create life but fail at doing it quite right. Who says you wont accidentally create some sort of shambling abomination or a large mimic or other monster when you are trying to make that homoculi. You could get a new BBEG out of it, or at least someone who is angry enough at the party for dragging it into this universe of suffering that it wants to kill them all.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>43064323
>my character would never engage with another human being

2edgy you must be that guy
>>
>>43072339
Not even that anon but, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>43063849
i'm game, we have a chat out of game, figure out what the player wants and how to do it, establish expectations and parameters, and let them go to with the expenditure of resources and time. I would probably require that the player spend some in-game time in research, or otherwise have the impetus for it's creation, since the particulars of homunculus creation is a secret art and not widely known, though homunculi themselves are.

honestly it would have to be a bit better than the standard familiar spell because as presented in the MM, homunculi are weaksauce and pretty much not worth bothering with. I'd work with my player to figure out some sort of tiered upgrade system if they were adamant about going the route of creating life in this manner, so that their investment and character goal would be rewarded.
>>
I allow him to try.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.