[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bgg/-Board Game General:Contemplating the Future Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 20
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 610x706) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 610x706
So 2016 is almost here, and it's time to look back at the year that was and to look forward to what's ahead.

>What was your 'Game of the Year'?

>What was your favorite gaming memory of 2015?

>What's on your radar for 2016?

>Did you attend any Cons this year? Planning to attend any in 2016?
>>
>Game of the Year?
I really liked Champions of Midgard, but the game I had the most fun with was Codenames.

>2015 Gaming memory?
Had a marathon session with friends back in March. Played a ton of games. It was just great to reconnect with some people I hadn't seen in awhile and sling dice.

>2016?
Psyched for Scythe and Gloomhaven. I backed Secret Hitler on KS and I'm intrigued by the videos I've seen.

>Cons?
Never been to a con. Gonna try to hit BGG con in 2016.
>>
>>44461695
I haven't played that many 2015 games, the only ones I can think of are XCOM, Churchill, and Triumph&Tragedy. Of those three, T&T is my current favourite by a fair amount.

Playing the Starcraft boardgame, third phase. I need to get to one more planet and build a base there and I'll win, but I'm getting threatened at my other planets as well. Shore up some defenses, throw enough zerglings at a third planet to clear one of the areas to build a base.... and end up not having enough resources. Laughs and facepalms were had all around.

Mare Nostrum: Empires, Scythe (not backed nor hyped, but I mean I gotta try it right?), Hands in the Sea, some GMT reprints and new games, and last but not least more wargames in general. Maybe the 3rd edition of High Frontier. I don't follow boardgaming news/releases to know of much else of interest.

Yeah, went and poked around a bit at Gothcon. Lots of game stores set up and plenty of people more than willing to sit down and explain and/or play games. Will most probably take a look around at 2016's Gothcon as well.
>>
>>44461695
Probably Chaosmos, though I've gotten more mileage out of Two Rooms and a Boom.

>picking one
Various incredible clutch plays in 2R&1B at LAN parties, often tied to wheeling & dealing information as the MI6.
A friend pulling off a surprise win in Chaosmos off of a huge gamble, ending the game with one of the two mcguffins in hand without knowing which one was real based on anything but a couple subtle hints in my behaviour.
The entirety of our last TI3 game, just ridiculously tight.

Mare Nostrum: Empires, for sure.
Might pick up a copy of Scythe when it releases.
It's even possible the next netrunner cycle will release before we all die of old age.

Nope, but I'm going to try and make it to a couple of the ones in SLC.
>>
Anyone know anything about Heroes of Normandie and which expansions or stuff to add after the primary box?
>>
Cthulhu Wars has bloody ran away with it, no questions. Pretty much the definition of an instant classic in my groups.

Watching the Ghosts of Creuss pull a bunch of wormhole shenanigans to go from dead last in victory points to an instant win due to controlling three starting systems.

Also, actually completing a three player game of Mage Knight with everyone having a fantastic time. Good shit.

Millennium Blades is still my most anticipated game slated for 2016. Also looking forward to Project Elite (now that they're fixing the minis), Scythe, Gloomhaven, High Frontier, and Trove. And Cthulhu Wars expansions.

I have a problem.

I live in Columbus, so I attend Origins every year. Would love to go to GenCon too, but didn't have the cash nor time this year and likely won't next year either.
>>
Whoever does thread creation-
Can you start linking the new general in the old general?
This used to be done and is done for literally every other general. It'd be highly appreciated.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1451193186036.jpg (8 KB, 221x215) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1451193186036.jpg
8 KB, 221x215
Started board gaming this year and have a very inactive group. Honestly, my goty so far is Force of Will. If not that then 40k or X-Wing. If y'all don't count either of those, then I reckon Betrayal, Gloom, or Star Realms.

My very first (half) game of TI3.

Armada, picking up TI3, Gloomhaven when it releases, Mage Knight, CitOW, and a ton of others. But really my "radar" is finding people that are genuinely interested in playing and not forcing people to play with me.

I went to OMGcon and Akaicon. Not much of a con-goer unless I'm piss drunk the entire time. Gf is a cosplayer though so I anticipate being roped in more cons in 2016.
>>
>>44462717
Depends enormously on what you want.
If you want to go up to four player, then two of the army boxes would be good.
If there's specific scenarios you'd like to play, then the D-Day / Carentan / St. Mere Eglise / Pegasus Bridge boxes are good (the last one might require the british army box)
If you just want more of the same, grab whatever punchboards look interesting.

>>44462730
>Ghosts of Creuss
Based. Easily my favorite race.
>>
>>44462882
Thanks, does it play well at 4?
And do any of the mission packs stand out at all to you? Maybe in terms of terrain or funky options?

I had my eye on the civvie pack just for the odd stuff it gives you.
>>
>>44462923
It plays pretty well at four, though basically none of the official scenarios support it, you'll mostly be doing custom skirmishes that way, or tweaking scenarios for four players, both of which work well.

The D-Day scenario box is the most interesting terrain-wise, but has the least in variety of included units. Haven't got my hands on pegasus bridge yet, but the other two have a buttload of both terrain and units.

If you want a more detailed breakdown, you can poke around in this army builder tool.
http://www.boardgametools.fr/hon/build?lang=en
Hit the union jack in the top right to make it english, then set filters to only the box you want to look at the contents of.
>>
>>44463030
Thanks a lot, that's a awesome tool too.
>>
File: virginqueenreduced.jpg (107 KB, 680x440) Image search: [Google]
virginqueenreduced.jpg
107 KB, 680x440
>Wish for Virgin Queen this christmas
>Actually get it
>Have a bunch of history-obsessed friends ready to try it out

Really hyped for this, but I've heard nightmare stories of turns taking several hours. Still, my friends don't mind reading the rules, so it won't be that bad, right? How long does a turn take if you know the game? I reckon our first play will be a simple 4-turn game.
>>
Tg's thoughts on mobile board games with friend? my brothers and I all bought smallworlds 2 because it was a dollar on the app store. Any one have good apps for board games or poor experiences?
>>
I'm very pleased with both Viceroy and Blood Rage, and have only played a few games of each, so it's hard to make a pick now.

Joking around in Dead of Winter about one character whose portrait shows him sitting on a chair and drinking beer. Spends most the game waiting in the colony doing nothing, then goes out on the last 2-3 rounds and kills a ton of zombies, only to come back safe, eat spoiled macaroni in a Crossroads event and die. He was a man of great contrasts.

I've cut back on my spending now that my collection has reached a satisfying size and variety, so I don't really know what's coming up anymore. I do intend to get Mysterium at some point.

Nothing this year, but I'm coming down to MAGFest in February with at least one friend, hopefully more. We had a fantastic time there in 2014 and I'm looking forward to trying more new games than last time (depending on the shows and panels they have this year).
>>
>>44463655
I have a friend who plays Ascension on her tablet all the time (according to her boyfriend anyway) and says it's well done, but that's about as far as my knowledge of mobile board gaming goes.

By the way, I think I have a Steam key for Ticket to Ride if someone wants it.
>>
>>44463655
Neuroshima Hex!
Ascension
Galaxy Trucker
Summoner Wars

I've all tried and are well done and fun. There are plenty of others out there, but I have no clue on quality
>>
>>44463655
Based on android/kindle apps

Top tier apps: Galaxy Trucker, Splendor, Star Realms (no kindle option/sideloading), Neuroshima Hex, Pandemic, Hearthstone (not really /tg/ but still good)

Almost there: Ascension (just not quite as good as the top tier imo), Ticket to Ride (needs expansions), Elder Sign (ditto), Carcassonne, Hey That's My Fish, First and Goal (buggy, can lose a season if a single game glitches), Boss Monster (not a great game, but good app implementation)

Don't bother: Alhambra, Fairy Tale, Path of Dragons (the android free version is fine, but buggy and not worth paying even the $0.99 for on amazon)
>>
File: IMG_3178.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3178.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>44461695
I was introduced to Star Wars Epic Duels and loved it so much that I created my very own Halo Epic Duels board game using the online deck creator and my GF's laminating machine. I used Halo Megabloks figured as pieces, and designed my own maps and box to hold all 11 decks.
>>
>>44462766
I'm guessing the OP didn't have the old thread still open / it was already archived when they created this one. In which case the lack of a redirect to the new thread is understandable. We're also missing the link to the pastebin, but that can be added later if needed.
>>
>>44462388
>It's even possible the next netrunner cycle will release before we all die of old age.

Lies! Lies! Unpossible! ;)

>>44462717
To follow up on STEEV's reply - you might want some of the terrain expansion sets. The Normandy set is cool, but somewhat limited in replay value - the backs of the coastal tiles have non-coastal terrain and can be used in other scenarios.
>>
>>44461695
>goty
Broom Service (maybe because I haven't played 7 Wonders: Duel yet)

>gaming memory of 2015
As I went down my games list I thought of a few great moments, but they were "you had to be there." Stealing bids from an opponent who was telegraphing his plans in Keyflower, harassing the too-talkative ghost in Mysterium, fucking over greedy players in Agricola, my first 6 player of Cosmic Encounter, finally getting to play Lifeboat, having a Lift it! tournament with my drunk friends, so many ONUW moments.

But the best was getting to have two all-day board game retreats (six months apart) at a bg cafe with my friend in the city. We probably tried a total of a dozen new games on each day. Super lucky to have a friend like that.

>Radar for 2016
Vampire Radar American release, Innovation Deluxe release, Seafall?, World of Yo-ho (or at least a PDF of the map)

>Did I attend any cons
No

>will I in 2016
If I'm not busy, I want to do Unpub as a playtester. I'll try a local con if the price is right.
>>
>>44463655

I can second these recommendations
>>44463773
>>44463870
>>44464004

Another great "not really /tg/ but still good" is Subterfuge, which got a review from Joel Eddy. You and your friends will love it if you like Diplomacy. I also have the Tigris and Euphrates app which seems done well, but I never play it.
>>
>>44465050
Still trying to convince /bgg/ to fill up a subterfuge game.
>>
>>44464171
That's cool, but this isn't the first time it's happened. It's been several threads now. It's no big deal, but it would be nice for it to be linked.
>>
>>44465359
These threads die and get archived silently. Slower threads suffer that fate.
Further Asmodee developments and clarifications.

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/33369/icv2-interview-asmodee-north-america-ceo-christian-petersen-part-2

Looks like our FFG games are going to get more expensive for us cheapies. Confirming what we speculated a couple threads ago.
>>
>>44465609
>Looks like our FFG games are going to get more expensive for us cheapies.
Where in that interview do you get that? Wouldn't better discounts for retailers allow them to lower prices, if anything?
>>
>>44465815
Cheapies being those of us that only bought games at the ridiculous discounts online.
>>
>>44465609
At least I'll be able to buy more board games from my FLGS now without feeling like I'm donating a 20 dollar bill to the shop.
>>
>>44465833
Gotcha.
>>
I haven't played anything published this year
Playing One Night Ultimate Werewolf with Gregory Carslaw; his announcing was hilariously disgusting
Reasonable prices for all the other shit on my wishlist
UK Games Expo is always a must - busy yet chilled atmosphere, fun panels, good bargains and The Dark Room.
>>
Went to my rpg club's bi-annual piss-up; 10 player Resistance is interesting, but not something I'd regularly recommend. More people arrived, so talk of splitting the table into something more manageable devolved into "Drink While You Think" and Cards Against Humanity. All in all, a pretty fun afternoon/evening.
>>44463773
I'm always up for free stuff!
>>
>>44466327
>I'm always up for free stuff!
Sorry, I can't find it anywhere. Looks like I never redeemed it from whatever gave me a code for it. Really sorry for the false hopes.
>>
>>44461695
This is Bill Murray
>>
Many people here seem familiar with Chaos in the Old World, so I'd like to ask your thoughts on the Horned Rat expansion. If my gaming group likes it, expanding to 5 players will be very tempting, but I remember reading mixed reviews on BGG a while back.

Does it break balance? Does it have weird gimmicks? Does the game time increase too much?
>>
>>44466685
The game time doesn't increase enough for it to be a problem for me. I would play it with 5 as long as everyone had already played it at least once.

I didn't really notice any balance breaking or weird gimmicks either. Overall, if your group likes the base game, Horned Rat is a solid buy I'd say.
>>
>>44466462
Ah, it's okay.

Incidentally, does anybody know if Ticket To Ride: United Kingdom is any good?
>>
>>44467013
Haven't gotten the chance to play it yet, but everyone I know who has says it's amazing.
>>
>>44467013
It's really solid, adding depth that a lot of my heavy gaming friends felt the base was lacking; might have to start recommending this as the one expansion to get instead of Asia.
>>
XCom has been pretty nice, but in the last week since getting it and having a lot of time off with friends SW: Risk has hit the table at least half a dozen times. Makes me no longer feel the need to keep scouring BGG auctions for Queen's Gambit.

Gaming in general: letting my brother-in-law convince me to do a PFS special with the whole family since he's convinced the wife and kids they need to do an rpg. GM was a 5 star who's going to school for theatre and was amazing. If we're talking board gaming, beating my sister, her kid, and 3 other 12 yr olds at giant KoT on the outdoor stage with a final roll of five 3s for a points victory.

Nothing really comes to mind.

Whosyercon for the first time, Gencon for my fourth, had to miss Grand Con due to work, though hopefully in the coming year.

One you missed OP:

>Gaming resolution for 2016
Finishing painting all of my games that have minis, and complete a 10x10 challenge before August.
>>
I have 35$ for a Montreal board game chain store (tour de Jeux), and am unsure what to get. Too little forns regular game, too much forna micro. I was thinking of getting the Grizzled and Epic, but wouldn't mind adding another euro for the first time in years. I have too many two player games as is, and know next to nothing about recent games or classic titles at the price range.

What do?

I have stuff like Neuroshima, incan gold, dead of winter, Summoner Wars, sheriff, Battlecon, galaxy Trucker, robo rally, and chaos.
>>
>>What was your 'Game of the Year'?
Dunno, maybe Forbidden Stars or Fury of Dracula. Can't remember what else came out this year.

>>What was your favorite gaming memory of 2015?
The 2-day-board-game-fest put on by the local club and the ridiculously huge game of x-wing I participated in at said event. Also got to try tons of new (to me) stuff and had a great time in general.

>>What's on your radar for 2016?
Not much yet.

>>Did you attend any Cons this year? Planning to attend any in 2016?
No and no due to there being no Cons for approximately 1,400km from where I live.
>>
>>44471373
>No and no due to there being no Cons for approximately 1,400km from where I live.
That's a rough one, do you at least have a local meetup group or something?
>>
>>44471064
Forbidden desert /island?
>>
>>44471830
Yeah, like I said there's a local group that puts on gaming weekends every 6 months or so in addition to bi-weekly game nights. Plus I have a few friends who enjoy a game every now and then so it's not too bad .
>>
>>44472017
Ok yeah two day event where you try new games and play for hours sounds like the smaller cons I've been to, which are just better for gaming. Unless you want to pay $100 just for the privilege of standing in long lines for full MSRP games you're not missing much over the larger stuff like Gencon/Essen.
>>
Ehhhh that's hard to say. I've played a bunch of games, but nothing new has been amazingly great. Xenoshyft has great art but generates little interest. Rise of the kage needs a rules rewrite pretty badly. Rum and bones is fun enough but you either play with 2 or 6 people and that's wonky as shit. I don't want to call anything game of the year simply because it's the best out of a bunch of average titles. I'd rather just say this year was ho hum.

>Favorite gaming memory of 2015?
I've got a favorite for all the wrong reasons. Monthly party at my place. 2nd or 3rd time in a row one of the guys was trying to push mansions of madness. I own the game, never played. After our ritual slugfest of like 6 player gang beast, we sat down and gave it a go. Game was nothing like what I was expecting in a bad way. I guess everyone else felt the same way too. After the first hour or so of him relearning the rules, we just started fucking with him constantly. Like, being super obnoxious about asking for rules clarification, and trying to mental gymnastics our way through situations instead of just, well, doing them the normal way. In essence the the entire group sans the teacher became that guy, but man we were all slightly tipsy and we laughed so hard. One of the guys suspected the teacher dude actually took things in a bad way, but surely not because he's been to parties before and he's always integrated well with the groups humor. Guess we'll know how he feels in a few weeks when the monthly parties start back up.

Mercs: Recon, Conan (maybe? I don't keep up with kickstarters a whole lot after I pay), Myth Journeyman (same situation), The others - 7 sins (same situation), Yashima (same situation)

Quakecon, a bunch of small cons. Next year I'm going to Dreamhack down in austin, can't wait. Board games cons are silly to me so I dont go to those.
>>
>>44461695
If it has to have been released this year: EPIC card game. If not, Star Realms by and far gets a perfect 10/10. What a fabulous game. Word is still out for Xia Legends of a Drift system as it's caught in the mail.

Opening Twilight Imperium (and all expansions), Descent (1 expansion), Summoner Wars, Burgundy, getting my gf's Cry Havoc and old 80's BattleTech, and geeking out about the new stuff we ordered. Just a blur of awesome.

Star Realms expansion. Confirmed EPIC set 2. Waiting to see how Runebound 3rd matures as I was a bit thrown off by it.

Naw that's way more expensive than a few games here and there.
>>
>>44478342
Also did I mention I am psyched about the mail tomorrow? Because I am!

>KEMET
>DESCENT LABYRINTH OF RUIN
>EMINENT DOMAIN

and then on Saturday

>XIA LEGENDS OF A DRIFT SYSTEM

My little heart can't take it.
>>
Sup /bgg/.

I play a lot of Eldritch Horror and I love it, but the setup/takedown is really starting to get to me. Should I get a Plano or just pull the trigger on one of those nice wooden inserts?
>>
Small City with Mottainai being a comfy game runner up. I suspect if I'd manage to play Gallerist or Trickerion they'd have ranked too but alas.

Nothing really leaps out. Probably my first game of Kingdom Builder with my son.

Definitely Steam Ship Company. Technically Burano was 2015 but apparently they did a print run of 5 or something so hopefully that'll get another go around. And of course Scythe but I'm not looking forward to more miniatures to paint though.

I live in England
>>
>>44479547
Foamcore.
>>
>>44479547
the problem with the super nice wooden inserts is that they are out of date in 6 months, Eldritch Horror is one of those games that will probably end up with 10+ expansions by the time they stop making it / replace it with a new edition.

You're never going to fit it all in 1 box, but if you're looking for organization tips have a look on the boardgamegeek forums. You can usually find links to tuck box designs and foamcore inserts that should help you sort it all out. Personally i use a small plano for the tokens and tuck boxes held in place via some foamcore.
>>
>>44461695

I didn't do much gaming this year as I moved across the country and got married. My friend brought over Kingdom Death Monster which he, the wife, and another friend and I played and it was actually a lot of fun; so I'll list that.

Playing X-Wing with my dad.
Something to play with my kids who I'm trying to get into gaming. Meanwhile I'd really like to get some damn Thunderstone Advance expansions. The wife likes them and its a damn good thing to have a "Hey lets game" person in your house.
No cons yet.
>>
>>44479547
I spent like an hour with my Mansions of Madness box throwing everything into labeled baggies, but holy shit that cut set up time in half.
>>
File: mafia-de-cuba3.jpg (205 KB, 1000x685) Image search: [Google]
mafia-de-cuba3.jpg
205 KB, 1000x685
So I got Mafia de Cuba and I am really hyped to play it, but I'm not that good with social games (welcome on the 'chan), so I have to ask, what is a good strategy for the Don to win?
>>

Haven't played any published this year.

My gf getting all excited about Munchkin of all things, red cheeks and enthusiasm all over the place. The fun of Munchkin fell down quickly after that first game but I don't think we ever had as much fun since.

Don't know if I'm looking for something new. I'll be definitely getting Ta-Seti for Kemet, maybe Blood Rage. Apart from that I'll be probably sticking to oldies.

No and no. It might be me, but people that go to any kind of cons are weird, and usually not my kind of weird.
>>
>>44461695

Twilight imperium a lot of great games were had of it in 2015 by my group.

>>What was your favourite gaming memory of 2015?

Finally after several games beating Eldritch horror.

Eldritch horror forsaken lore (a really fucker to get a copy of always out of print). Suggestions welcome I like Scifi and fantasy games.

Never been to a con. Any good ones in the UK?
>>
>>44461695
TIME Stories or Blood Rage I guess?

Codenames, doing some crazy hints, making them crazy picks. Both the TIME Stories cases are also very memorable.

7th Continent.

Only a local week long event, Haninge Fantasy Games. The other local events colided with Dreamhack and I couldn't make it to Essen either. I'm eyeing som eof the bigger Swedish cons but I'm not sure..

>>44462870
>Game of the year
Uhm, most of thouse games are older games.
>>
>>44463655
Most are fairly well done and games like star realms have found rather big crowds playing it mostly online (hell, it's out on steam as well).
>>
>>44464792
>Seafall
Ooh, I forgot about that one. Legacy all up in this!
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 500x282
>>44466503
>>
>>44479547

So what your saying boils down to this

>Do I go the cheap route
>Do I go the expensive route

If you play it a lot, and it's special to you, you might feel obligated to make it fancy. As >>44480267 pointed out though, it can quickly become outdated, then if you get the expansion you might feel like you wasted your money.

I absolutely do not recommend what >>44479625 said unless youve done it before and are confident about it. For me at least, making a foam core insert takes forever and then some to do, and even then you run into the problem of it being outdated.

Just do plano boxes and deckboxes. Both are cheap and get the job done. Plano is your friend.
>>
File: Roll for the Galaxy.jpg (123 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Roll for the Galaxy.jpg
123 KB, 500x500
>>44461695

Man, that's a tough call. There were a lot of good games that came out this year. The one my group has taken to the most was 'Roll for the Galaxy'. We still haven't tried the expansion as we've been enjoying the base game.

Gaming at PAX East. Get to game with a lot of nice people I otherwise don't see nearly often enough.

A 'Wish List' about 30 yards long? Liked, but didn't back Scythe, looking at more Heroes of Normandie, or games like Archipelago, Neroshima Hex, Kemet, and the new Eclipse expansion.

Yeah, PAX East is a blast. And while not everything gaming wise is at a super discount, I've gotten some great price deals on games there. Hopefully I'll get to go again this year as well.
>>
>>44481185
Just play regular Mafia...?
>>
>>44474519
>Xenoshyft has great art but generates little interest.

I backed this on KS and really like it, but man does it routinely curb stomp my ass.

> Quakecon, a bunch of small cons. Next year I'm going to Dreamhack down in austin, can't wait. Board games cons are silly to me so I dont go to those.

What's Quake con like? As for Board Game cons vs PC Game cons - why not do both? They have a PAX South now. PAX East is a blast with board, hand held, console, and PC gaming all in one giant venue. Hell, East even has a huge classic arcade. And there are so many nice people there.
>>
>>44481723
>Foamcore
>Outdated

Foamcore never gets outdated. It's relatively easy to pull apart partitions and resize containers to accomodate expansions or whatnot. Although yes, if you're a beginner at it, practice on some easy ones first before you get into the more complicated side of it.
>>
>>44461695
I didn't get a hole lot of games played this year since my group has been doing a lot of PnP RPGs, but I guess I'd have to say Specter Ops for being a surprise and such a hit with the group.

Probably the thing that stands out the most is getting to play Sheriff of Nottingham with my dad and older brother. First board game my dad has played other than monopoly and he had a blast. It's always fun to see someone exposed to something new that they like. Then the next day I played SushiGO with my dad, older brother and grandma, and everyone had a great time with that with my grandma asking to play again which we did three more times.

2016 is the year of kickstarter deliveries for me.
SDE: Legends
Scythe
Dropfleet Commander
Warpath
Deep Space D6
7th Continent
Reaper Bones 3
Tiny Epic Kingdoms: Heroes Call

Other than that I'm interested in seeing how the Attack on Titan board game pans out. Hopefully it's good and we'll see more IPs making it to board games. Also looking forward to Star Wars: Rebellion, maybe the World of Yo-Ho, and not sure what else is coming out in 2016.

Nope. Am interested in seeing what's available. (North Louisiana)
>>
>>44481760
The expansion is nice, though we usually don't use the achivements, but the added starting tiles and the new multi-(black and orange)-dice speeds things up a bit and adds some diversity.
>>
File: Eclipse Resource trays.jpg (243 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Eclipse Resource trays.jpg
243 KB, 1280x853
>>44479547
It's more a matter of what you think you'd like the most / have the time and wherewithal to create. You have the DIY route with foam-core board, per-cut wooden inserts, and plano boxes. Each have their own pros and cons.

>>44480267
>the problem with the super nice wooden inserts is that they are out of date in 6 months

That depends on which kind you buy. Some of the sets are extremely modular and nature and can easily be reconfigured as needed.

http://www.thebrokentoken.com/

TBT's stuff is re-configurable for example, and their plastic resource trays for Eclipse are a 'God-send' when it comes to playing and keeping all the cubes in place. But I have used plenty of Plano boxes too.

Follow the link OP to the Pastebin and there's a ton of resource links in it.

http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

>>44480653
> throwing everything into labeled baggies, but holy shit that cut set up time in half.

Aww Yes! So much this. I couldn't find any small sized baggies and some kind soul here suggested I look for them on Amazon. (Thank you wonderful Anon!) Now I have enough small bags to sort all of my 100 plus board games and plenty to spare for future purchases.

>>44481723
> Foam-core board.

The secret to foam core board cutting and getting clean edges is using a very sharp knife. I routinely use the utility knives where you can break of a segment so you always sharp tip and fresh edge. The other secret is to make multiple light cuts as the blades cut best by a pulling / sliding motion. That said, I have used and will continue to use Plano and other simple organizers too.
>>
>>44481923

>That xenoshyft difficulty

That might be it, people in my area really don't like getting their skulls caved in playing board games, and that one does a good job of doing just that. Honestly, it more likely nobody has heard of it still so they never suggest it.

>Quakecon

It was once great. Bunch of gamers meeting up with gaming and gaming swag everywhere, the deathly cold BYOC, the silliness, the stories. Now it's kind of shit. Where once BYOC (bring your own computer btw) seats were free and first come first serve, they're now charging like 60 bucks a pop, and it only goes up every year. It's all become just so...idk corporate now. The energy and life is gone, replaced with a kind of sterile feeling.

TLDR Bethesda gave what once was an enthusiastic and joyous child Ritalin.

That's why I'm going to Dreamhack next year. I miss the energy and atmosphere.

>BG Con Stance

I'm part of a large board gaming community, and whenever whatever big con happens, they like to vomit it all on to social media so I've got a good idea of what happens. You go, you play board games, and you can buy stuff at retail or near that. I can play board games at the parties I host, and I'm not about to buy stuff at retail prices at a con. So what else? I could meet devs, but I don't care for that much either.

I might check out PAX someday, but I'm not too keen on how they let themselves be intimidated by the SJW's with that dickwolves fiasco. It's petty, I know.

>>44481925

You must know some foamcore shaping secrets that I'm not privy to. I can cut wood faster than I can cut foamcore.
>>
>>44478367
OKAY YOU

Running another TI3 tomorrow, probably 4 player, with shattered ascension strategy cards, race cards, racial techs, objectives, unit changes (TWO DICE DREADS), trade agreements, and the like.

Still got your strategy / political card exclusion list? Any other suggestions?

>>44481185
Interrogate people in the order they had the box, at least at first. Later you may start to find places where skipping someone and coming back to them can help catch someone.
>>
>>44482065
>Dreamhack
God I wish there was a good LAN con somewhere near me.
>>
>>44482207

Whereabout are you? I'm gonna guess somewhere up north?
>>
>>44482239
Potatoland
>>
File: Cutting Tools.jpg (209 KB, 1000x731) Image search: [Google]
Cutting Tools.jpg
209 KB, 1000x731
>>44481999
Cool - I'm glad to hear that other folks like it. My group took to the game in a single session. I even got in a game or two with my son while he was home for the holidays. (Is it wrong to enjoy crushing your own offspring in the Galactic Empire building arena? Oh no! I might be the BBEG of my household...)

>>44482065
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that gets my butt kicked by XenoShyft. The artwork is fantastic, and I'd really like to see an RPG based on the setting oddly enough. A combination of corporate intrigue and horrific aliens. R.Talisorian's D10 system (like CyberPunk 2020) seems like it would be a good fit, I just don't have the time to do a full conversion.

As for gaming cons being more than a little 'corporate sales pitch' - yeah, I can fully understand that. I just like PAX East for the fact that it still has great energy and the people. I can understand your dislike of the whole thing with jacking the prices for BYOC - that sucks, particularly at an event that started around LAN gaming.

>You must know some foamcore shaping secrets that I'm not privy to. I can cut wood faster than I can cut foamcore.

I do a few things that make it faster / easier when cutting foam core board:
1. Sharp edges
2. Long metal straight edge
3. Shallow and smooth pulling cuts rather than trying to cut all the way through on the first or 2nd cut.
4. Use some cardboard or other softer material underneath where I'm cutting in order to allow the blade to cut through the foam core without damaging or dulling the tip on the last pass.
5. I also make my own simple 'DIY' tools to make it easier to get long cuts where I need the blade to stay vertical the entire cut. (Pic related).
>>
>>44482134
>OKAY YOU

The proper response is "ONE OF US! ONE OF US!" ;)

>>44482207
>God I wish there was a good LAN con somewhere near me.

You? Try living in "Ohio - the armpit of America" where good things are only hours and hours of driving and several state borders away. (Ohio's state motto is "Thank God we're not New Jersey!")
>>
File: Eclipse Tray 02.jpg (123 KB, 652x358) Image search: [Google]
Eclipse Tray 02.jpg
123 KB, 652x358
>>44482043
>>44481723
Speaking of Plano boxes... This thing saves so much time when we go to play Eclipse.
>>
File: 1415554984908.jpg (429 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1415554984908.jpg
429 KB, 1024x768
>>44482442
There's being creative and organized to improve efficiency and allow more time for game play...
>>
File: 1425257790209.jpg (332 KB, 924x979) Image search: [Google]
1425257790209.jpg
332 KB, 924x979
>>44482458
And then there's batshit-insane customization. (i.e STEEV's secret lair...)
>>
>>44482470
I wish my lair was that insane, it's positively spartan by that standard.
Four ring galaxies are still retarded, though, as is a game table that you can't reach across, even by leaning.
But I've spent all my free time for the last two days printing, cutting, and laminating components for a fan update of TI3, so, yeah, may have issues.
>>
File: 1425255121430.png (5 MB, 2680x2010) Image search: [Google]
1425255121430.png
5 MB, 2680x2010
>>44482470
And I kind of like this one...
>>
>>44482268

Well, I'm not sure how adventurous you are, but there's always caravans of folks coming down from up that way for whatever big cons down here. Spot them some gas money and you can hitch a ride. Or catch a bus. Cheapest ways to get down here anyways.

>>44482297

Yeah, it's kind of like a starship troopers meets deadspace kind of thing. Maybe a good hook for a space game. SOS signal investigation turns into omg its planet murderfest.

>Cons cont.

It's kind of funny, at the last Quakecon I spent most of my time not doing a whole lot of serious gaming. I was either bullshitting with people I knew, running con games as a DM (board game and rpg integration have become a thing at QC now which is cool).

Also reached a very valid conclusion this year that no matter how much I dislike driving home for 20 minutes at 2 am back to back throughout the con, it's almost infinitely better than spending money on a room and getting small comforts. Last year one of my friends waited until we were sleeping to tell us he had sleep apnia or whatever it's called. Snored crazy loud so I had to make ear plugs out of toilet paper. That and the AC wasn't working right the first night either with temps like low 80's at night. Miserable situation with too many random factors to bite you on the ass.

>>44482268
>>44482380

Both of you guys get snow, and more importantly access to snowboarding. Down here in Texas we don't get jack. Worse still when it's cold nobody wants to do anything. Paintball especially dries up because everyone is a sissy when the weather tickles 40 degrees.
>>
File: 1425255226971.png (4 MB, 1644x1508) Image search: [Google]
1425255226971.png
4 MB, 1644x1508
>>44482507
Foam Core Ninja!

>>44482497
I have plans to build my own gaming table this summer (I queried you on the materials you used for your mat a while back), mainly because the table I use for 40K minis gaming is too wide and hard to reach across. I want something that's comfortable, still has enough room for larger games and is still reasonably easy to reach across without an extension arm.

And I was the one asking about the TI3 cards earlier (with my Trip). You'll have let us know how the S.A. additions go. :)
>>
>>44482532
> XenoShyft RPG...

Oh yeah, there are some good space based RPGs that could work. 3:16 and a couple others come to mind.

> Con Issues
I can related. My buddy used to live in the Boston Metro area, we'd either stay at his place and drive if we were taking PCs to BYOC, or simply take public transit back and forth to PAX. Now it's an additional $400+ for a hotel room if I want a single or splitting it with other folks and all the issues that entails.

> Snow...
This year Ohio has been more 'Chilly Chair' and less 'Frozen Throne'. We've had repeated frigid monsoons but no snow fall that resulted in any accumulation. I'm not complaining about the lack of shoveling, but it has not been a white holiday season at all.

That does it! I just need to build a large addition to my house and start holding monthly game meetups! ;)
>>
>>44482631

>That does it! I just need to build a large addition to my house and start holding monthly game meetups! ;)

All you need is a table, and some chairs mang. Maybe it's just my area but damn people seem to have low expecations for how things are supposed to go down. I bought like, this large plastic back of cheddar broccoli soup, and this loaf of rosemary bread you bake in the over. Both from a thrift food store for like 5 bucks all together. They were practically amazed at such "high quality" concessions. A little effort goes a long way.

If you got amazon prime, you can pick up some surge on the cheap. I plan to order a case as a surprise treat for my next party.
>>
File: xxchakingdom.jpg (48 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
xxchakingdom.jpg
48 KB, 200x200
>>44461695
I thought Mysterium came out at exactly the right time and had the perfect Halloween feel. Bring Out Your Dead was fun but didnt deliver as polished of an experience as I got with Mysterium.

Playing Smash Up with my Uncle in Law from Silicon valley and watching him catch on to the complexity real quick. Or playing Twilight Imperium with friends from work and my wife.

Nothing.

Nope, might go if my wife's work takes me there.
>>
>>44481989
>Then the next day I played SushiGO with my dad, older brother and grandma, and everyone had a great time with that with my grandma asking to play again which we did three more times.
This warms my heart :)

Here's to cool grandmas (I've played D&D with mine!).
>>
File: 5-Ultimatum.png (1 MB, 1202x1515) Image search: [Google]
5-Ultimatum.png
1 MB, 1202x1515
>>44482532
>carpooling
I've got enough people and a huge enough car that we'd probably just start our own caravan, if we can get motivated one of these years. A bunch of us always pilgrimage to seattle for The International, but they're a lot more into DOTA than me.

>snowboarding
Yeah, we're getting decent snow so far. No snowboarding for me, though. Just cross-country skiing and biathalon.
The paintball thing is even worse here, where airsoft is a lot more popular. The guns are a bit less cold-friendly, and maintenance on them is a bigger pain.

>>44482550
Will do, I'll try to get some pics and a decent battle report up. Still trying to get a decent premade map together by shrinking down pic related a bit, but still with enough room for 5.
>>
File: v-related traditional games2.png (6 MB, 1256x3151) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2.png
6 MB, 1256x3151
>>
>>44483960

>SDE

Noooooope. Arcadia quest should be there

I should make one of these lists someday.
>>
>>44482134
DAMMIT STEEV. Remember, my shitty web host deactivated my account and removed everything? I am basically waiting to get a new one.
>>
>>44485526
Orite, guess we'll just suffer through the bloat.
Other players have locked in to Xxcha, Hacan, Naalu, and Mentak. I'm still trying to decide between Creuss, L1Z1X, Yssaril, and Yin.
>>
>>44485591
I've never lost a single game with the L1Z1X
>>
File: yssaril sa tech.png (1 MB, 916x726) Image search: [Google]
yssaril sa tech.png
1 MB, 916x726
>>44485646
And SA makes them noticeably stronger, if anything. Just also tempted to abuse yssaril or yin for shock troop shenanigans. The changes to shuttle logistics for the former are colossal, and their new cloaking tech should be a lot of fun to play with as well.
>>
File: v-related traditional games2b.png (2 MB, 1366x1618) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2b.png
2 MB, 1366x1618
>>
>>44487911
Speaking of /v/ related games, was Megaman the board game any good? I heard it was delayed until real soon but never heard much about its gameplay.
>>
>>44489956
Hell if I know; there's no reviews, and BGG's ratings for it are all over the place (doesn't help that the highest ratings are mostly LOL MEGAMAN). Doesn't help that Jasco tried two other Kickstarters inbetween the Megaman game being funded and the game actually shipping.
>>
File: Archipelago Cover.jpg (248 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Archipelago Cover.jpg
248 KB, 500x500
Anyone have any experience with pic related? I'm strongly thinking of adding this to my next game order.
>>
>>44491911
I own it but have not got to play it (bought it second hand from a great swedish facebook board ganme trading and selling group).
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.