[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
post your favourite dice i wanna see some cute dice from other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 15
File: die.png (2 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
die.png
2 MB, 1280x960
post your favourite dice
i wanna see some cute dice from other people

i think i tried posting this a month or two ago but it died
>>
File: dice, all a.jpg (197 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
dice, all a.jpg
197 KB, 1280x960
>>44369521
I really like the look of speckled Chessex dice. Unfortunately, recent revelations point to the fact that their balance may be questionable, which leaves me contemplating what to do next. Game Science is expensive, has a limited selection at this point, and their dice tend to look and feel cheap. I've heard that translucent dice are a safer bet, as imperfections would tend to be obvious, so I may just go with Chessex translucents. Anyway, pic is most of my dice, though there are actually a decent number missing (pic is out of date and didn't include some odds and ends even at the time).
>>
File: shattered dice.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
shattered dice.jpg
96 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>44370038
>and their dice tend to look and feel cheap
what? how?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHDj6NK7scQ
>>
File: Unspeakably ugly dice.jpg (23 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
Unspeakably ugly dice.jpg
23 KB, 400x320
>>44369521
You spelled favorite wrong.

I have a set of these dice and I think they're some of the prettiest I've ever seen. Everyone else thinks they're ugly as shit though.
>>
>>44370038
>I really like the look of speckled Chessex dice.

MAH MILLENNIAL

The balance problem is pretty marginal. I remember histrograms of a thousand rolls or whatever and compared to the translucent it was only marginally worse on a couple of numbers

D&D to me is a big mixed bowl of speckled dice

Game science are the shit though
>>
>>44370348
They're too light, have a sprue, and many of them aren't visually pleasing. Here's a random set of dice from Gamescience, for instance (it's actually the second one I pulled up, because the white dice didn't have enough contrast for me to really make them out): http://www.gamesciencedice.com/7-Piece-Opaque-Red-Polyhedral-Set--Plain_p_101.html

Zoom in on the the top of the d6 and the d8 and look at their surfaces. Hell, look at the the 3 on the d20 behind them. They just look like cheap plastic dice. Don't get me wrong, I quite like the idea of precision-edged dice, but Gamescience hasn't exactly wowed me. I will say that the d16s I got from them a long-ass time ago (before Gamestation even came into the picture) look and handle pretty well, though about a quarter of them were warped, which is alarmingly high.
>>
>>44370392
favourite is british english bruh
same with like
color, colour
>>
>>44370585
I know, I just like giving the English shit to rile them up a bit.
>>
>>44370585
I say tomatoes you say tomatoes anonT
>>
I would love to own a few of these dice, but 18 bucks for 2 is just way too steep for me to justify.
>>
File: CHX25125.jpg (20 KB, 400x299) Image search: [Google]
CHX25125.jpg
20 KB, 400x299
>>44370538
>about a quarter of them were warped
Actually, that's not true. About a quarter of them had "issues", which were often sprues that were too prominent. But a significant amount of them had a face that was effectively caved-in, like there wasn't quite enough material in the mold or something.

>The balance problem is pretty marginal.
The only die I tested gave me only 53% as many 20s as it should've, and that was out of 2,000 rolls, so the sample size wasn't tiny. There's some reason to believe that die is worse than average (it strongly floated in salt water, which many of them don't, perhaps indicating prominent air bubbles), but that's pretty terrible.

I do really like the look of the speckled dice though, at least the ones that they don't junk up with clashing colors.

>>44370392
I have a set of those. I actually think they're fairly attractive, though I don't use them very much as I'm not a fan of the silver ink.
>>
>>44370538
>>44370705
>Gamescience issues
All of those are issues with Chessex and any other die manufacturer. That's the reason they all run the dice through a rock tumbler, to remove surface imperfections

You're looking at an unpolished casting with the gamescience dice. Manufacturing is imperfect by nature, and castings are no exception. If you want a better surface finish and without complications like shrinkage, you have to buy CNC dice... but then you're looking at 40$+ per set instead and <15$.

Regardless, the gamescience dice have been measured and actually tested to be better performing dice than their rock-tumbled competition.
>>
>any opaque chessex dice

I hope you faggots don't actually buy these.
>>
I don't get why anyone brings accuracy into these discussions. If you care about accuracy, you're using a random number generator (which is still inaccurate, but tremendously less so than physical dice). Any dice discussion is really a "how good do they look/feel" discussion. Accuracy went out the window as soon as you decided on dice in the first place.

For the record, I like the look of Chessex way better than Gamescience. Tumbled they may be, it produces a much better look and feel. If I could get precision machined dice that weren't ugly I might go for them, but as it is I see no real reason to.
>>
>>44370038
>poker dice
My brother.
>>
>>44370673
I know. I would love to play Traveller or something with a bunch of them. I wish they came in plastic. I'd buy a few sets if they were maybe $5.
>>
>>44371489
I don't care about perfectly balanced results, particularly if I don't know the way in which they're unbalanced. But getting only half as many twenties is way beyond acceptable.
>>
>>44370673
Are those balanced?
>>
File: lol amerisimples.jpg (33 KB, 500x389) Image search: [Google]
lol amerisimples.jpg
33 KB, 500x389
>>44370607
>>
>>44374045
I don't know about those, but there's a kickstarter for a set of dice with an equal amount of mass etched out of each side.
>>
I've been a dice borrower for a very long time but I really need to get around to buying my own since I'm now hosting 99% of the time. Unsure of what to buy since as the other guy pointed out, people have been finding some big flaws with Chessex lately.

Should I just pull the trigger on ordering a bulk lot of Chessex and some other mass assortment of dice on Amazon and be done with it?
>>
>>44374068
I remember when I was in 5th grade at a spelling bee and I got the word Color as my word and spelled it Colour and instantly was wrong. I was like da fuck?
>>
File: IMG_20151225_172640.jpg (5 MB, 2896x5152) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151225_172640.jpg
5 MB, 2896x5152
I like my dice simple and nicely coloured.
Purple is rad.
>>
File: 1451073130050-859431945.jpg (639 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1451073130050-859431945.jpg
639 KB, 1600x1200
My disgusting pink and black set that I love.
>>
File: dice and kirby.jpg (434 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
dice and kirby.jpg
434 KB, 1632x1224
Took this ages ago for one of these threads. It's my collection, with bonus Kirby.
>>
>>44376492
That's not disgusting, that's stylish and fun. I'd roll the shit out of those.
>>
>>44376492
it kinda reminds me of strawberry and chocolate sweets
i approve
>>
File: IMG_0364.jpg (96 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0364.jpg
96 KB, 400x400
Here's mine. They're old enough to drink (I got them in 1992), and I don't remember exactly what kind they are. Crystal Caste made some off of the same molds around 2000 or so, but these weren't Crystal Caste. I wish I could find more of these for sale, but nobody seems to make them any more.
>>
>>44370673
Kicksterterfag here, they roll fairly as far as I've seen, but the alloy finish chips. I have been using them for shadowrun along some other science fiction themed plastics.

If you really want to see how his shit is, try the zen dice he did a few years back
>>
File: 20151223_160650.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151223_160650.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
>>44369521
My LGS just got these in, they look sweet
>>
>>44369521
>i think i tried posting this a month or two ago but it died
No one cares
>>
>>44370348
What an awful video. Ugly fat man with a bad accent doing the same thing three times and saying "very durable die" three times.
>>
>>44380606
He is also three times as fat, so it's okay.
>>
>>44380535
your blue ones look opaque like they're made of rubber, is it just an illusion or are they actually rubber? if so, do they roll good?

also those fire d6s look absolutely baller
>>
File: dice.jpg (667 KB, 896x2888) Image search: [Google]
dice.jpg
667 KB, 896x2888
Includes a D2 that is a 3 peso coin.
>>
>>44383306
No those fuckers are frosted.
The problem is, I never held frosted dice before due to my autism of not being able to touch frosted glass without feeling the skin underneath my fingernails crawl and I spend 30 mintues trying to scratch the skin under my fingernail.

But I assume they are glass, I don't think you could do frosted plastic.
>>
>>44383888
is that big red one the one that lights up when it hits 20?
>>
File: blue steel & white.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
blue steel & white.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
I always buy a set that matches my character's color scheme. These have been my favorite and I try to use them as much as possible.
>>
>>44379408
Ah the marble swirls.
I had a nice black and smokey grey set. Along with black and red.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
Tabletop 101:
Buy dice that you can read on the first glance. Stop wasting the time of your friends with figuring out what the fuck you rolled. They already wasting there time on you, don't make it worse.
>>
>>44370392
Those are beautiful!
>>
>>44387822
i don't entirely agree on the "they're wasting time on you already" since other people's turns are actually part of the game
but this anon speaks truth, i had a teammate that had crystal dice and the numbers werent coloured and she spent a good 10 seconds trying to figure out her numbers each time she rolled
>>
>>44370332
I like those a lot
>>
>>44384347
I have those and love them as well. Also, a blue and gold set I use a lot as well.
>>
>>44387822

and if you're dyslexic, please let someone else do your math for you

We all appreciate it makes life difficult for you, but watching a player spend 15 seconds trying to read their die roll and then trying to add their attack bonus and THEN getting it wrong - all while getting visibly more frustrated - doesn't just slow the game for us, it obviously spoils your fun too.

I can read your die roll then add bonuses and circumstance modifiers from memory off your character sheet, it gives me no trouble at all.
>>
>>44370332
These are pretty neat, where did you got them?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.