[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/, I've started running a game for a couple people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 1444741369689.png (335 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1444741369689.png
335 KB, 500x375
Hey /tg/,
I've started running a game for a couple people new to RPGs, and i'm a fairly inexperienced DM myself. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for flying by the seat of my pants? Despite my planning for a session, something always goes a different or strange way, how do I cope without this? I don't want to railroad and I feel I could be running it better.
>>
>>44342244
Plan only bullet points and occasional set pieces.
Realize there is a difference between railroad and manipulating your players into falling into your hands. Let the players do as they will, but go along with what is important as a centerpiece.
Make sure each pc gets some attention, both part of the group and individually. The players should offer a little about who and what their character is, and what they want, and you should work that into the game, as either goals or a hinge to involve them.
Do not be afraid to call the official GM 2 minute break if you need to think, rather than stumble forward into shit.
>>
>>44342244
about to be doing the same with 6 new players
never GM'd before in my life

read through rule book a few times and am currently just building a hometown, BBEG lair, main hub, and littering the rest of the landscape with mini dungeons.

I'd recommend just generating a short list of monsters before every game with the necessary stats for an encounter. Skellingtons, wolves, goblins, whatever you think they can handle
>>
>>44342326
>>44342335
http://donjon.bin.sh/
Use this, helps out.
>>
>>44342335
>>44342326
I've got them exploring a new continent for the kingdom, they've encountered kobold natives, they're like a little tribe, speaking draconic. Currenty one player (who's character is obsessed with dragons) is the only player who can communicate, so is the translator. What are some cool things I could work into adventures for the party? Something involving sacred places, rival tribes, etc.
>>
>>44342386
Have the group help them secure some hunting grounds from a predator
>>
>>44342386
Here is the amusing thing: translating a language doesn't give you insight into proper nouns or folk phrases.
Something as simple as Thurogkul, the lair of dragons where the tribe does not go. What the tribe does not say is that it is actually a sacred graveyard where local dragons go to die, and that entering it is punishable by death, or worse.
Treat the area like Darkest Africa, with illnesses and half understood phrases leading to trouble everywhere.
>>
File: GoodDMs.jpg (1 MB, 1235x2892) Image search: [Google]
GoodDMs.jpg
1 MB, 1235x2892
>>44342244
>>
>>44342470
Thanks dude, the advice is awesome. Got any other pearls of wisdom for a newb dm?
>>
File: 10TGCommandmandmentsForGMS.png (557 KB, 1014x3387) Image search: [Google]
10TGCommandmandmentsForGMS.png
557 KB, 1014x3387
>>44343023
>>
File: 3 rules character creation.png (208 KB, 1239x550) Image search: [Google]
3 rules character creation.png
208 KB, 1239x550
>>44343023
'tis the last one.

Hope that helps.
>>
Don't do excessive planning ahead of time, it puts you in the mindset that when players go off the rails you find it harder to think on your feet

Have a set of "stock" NPCs archetypes in your head like "lazy drunk guard", "pompous aristocrat, "slightly crazy adventurer", etc. If you need to introduce an NPC you can default to them and make up a name, if the NPC ends up sticking around for more than one session then you can start fleshing him out.

Like all things in life, it takes practice. Force yourself to do it more often and you'll start getting better at it.
>>
One other thing i've noticed. Because they're new, whenever I ask, what do you want to do, or how do you want to proceed I usually get an answer along the lines of "I don't know". Obviously they're new so I don't expect them to be amazing at this already, it's only the second session. But how can I encourage them to think laterally/logically or just try stuff? Should I just suggest options or just wait for them to get the hang of it?
>>
>>44343832
Try giving them detailed descriptions, once they arrive in a new room in a dungeon, describe the doors, floor, roof, walls, note anything of interest that they could want to interact with, even something as simple as a closed container helps.
If the issue is about finding plot hooks, you can suggest gatherings where there'll be lots of people or even better, attract them to it, they might find out, after meeting the one who gave them a quest, that the streets are unusually busy and there is a festival or something. Then have them meet important NPCs.

Or use the advice above, without shoving it, find out a goal of their character and give them a chance to pursue it.
>>
>>44342244
I'm in the exact same position right now. Check out The Angry DM for some good advice, ESPECIALLY his series about adventure design and Maniac Mansion. Super helpful stuff.
>>
>>44343832
If I had that gif of a man being pulled through a wall I would post it

Just throw plothooks at them, like literally have peasants run up screaming that their village is being burned down. If they choose to ignore it at least they're making a choice. I can't blame your players if ten minutes in you finish describing the scenery and say "what do you do" implying they're just standing around in a bar for no reason.
>>
>>44342244
The best advice I ever got was to say Yes, And?

I wish they had told me you can say "Yes, but!" with mostly the same effect too.

Players are little shits. You can't be a yes man or they'll ruin the game for themselves, but you should be permissive, generally.

So when in doubt, say "Yes, but"
>>
>>44342244
Prepare for improve, and make up general encounters beforehand.

Also use 5e, it's easy for new dm's
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.