[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the bigger threat to the Imperium Nids, Necrons or Chaos?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
Who is the bigger threat to the Imperium Nids, Necrons or Chaos?
>>
File: The Greatest Threat 2.png (612 KB, 1326x296) Image search: [Google]
The Greatest Threat 2.png
612 KB, 1326x296
>>44341399
The lore says Chaos.

Feel free to disagree with the lore and throw tantrums. It's what salty xenofags love to do.
>>
>>44341399
I'd say Chaos.
While Nids and Necrons are more directly powerful and each fully capable of wiping out the galaxy, they're both external threats. They can be detected, escaped, avoided, and identified fairly easily (save for genestealers, of course). It's physically possible, though impossibly unlikely, for the Imperium to separate themselves completely from both, and exist alone.

Chaos is an internal threat. By it's nature, it cannot be avoided or evaded entirely, only held back. Chaos has a foothold on every human world by virtue of humans being there. Chaos is pervasive and inescapable. The Imperium cannot distance itself from it, because they drag it with them as they flee.
>>
>>44341399
Seeing how the plot never advances and the Imperium will forever remain in charge of most of the galaxy by virtue of stasis, none of them.
>>
>>44341399
Yes.
>>
File: VICTORY FOR SIGMAR!.png (6 MB, 1536x2000) Image search: [Google]
VICTORY FOR SIGMAR!.png
6 MB, 1536x2000
>>44341489
Don't tempt fate.
>>
Nids are the greatest immediate threat. Chaos for the long run though.
>>
>>44341399
Nids are like having a bad case of bugs
Necrons like having old grumpy neighbours easy to upset
Chaos is like having herpes, you'll never get rid of it and appears when you are weak
>>
>>44341399
>Who is the bigger threat to the Imperium Nids, Necrons or Chaos?
In general? Chaos. Otherwise? Nids. Chaos is unlikely to truly wipe Humanity before it's been >>44341794 weakened by the Nids.
>>
The imperium
>>
>>44341399
I've been confused by WH40K lore since I got into it.

>30K: Imperium has grunts, decent tech, a god-emperor, and about 2 dozen primarchs (straight up ballers)
>40K: Imperium has grunts, outdated tech, and 8 or so primarch ENEMIES working for chaos, plus new enemies in the form of necrons and nids

How is the Imperium even standing? Your standard Imperium trooper seems weaker than any standard soldier of any other faction, and there are far too few Space Marines to make up for even one enemy faction. Has the Imperium been losing fights for 1,000 years? If not, how?
>>
>>44342167
You see the imperium balances out the quality with quantity.
The enemy has a bilion bullets? Send 2 billion guardsmen.
>>
>>44342484
Does it outnumber everyone that much? I thought both nids and orks outnumbered the Imperium. Can anyone give rough estimates for:

Necrons
Tau
Eldar
Dark Eldar
Orks
Humans
Chaos

I would say chaos can't be counted but then I remember reports of demons with names, so they do solidly exist individually, and I remember entire world invasions, so they do have armies and troops. Anyone willing to swing a guess at the above numbers, and did I miss anyone important?
>>
File: 113.jpg (618 KB, 1089x1563) Image search: [Google]
113.jpg
618 KB, 1089x1563
>>44341399
IT TURNS OUT IT'S MAN
>>
>>44342530
yup both bugs and Orks outnumber humans
Eldars have the least people
then Tau
>>
>>44342167

The main thing to remember is that the Imperium is ungodly huge, and it's tech is a lot better then it first appears, especially in vehicles.

Also, 30K Imperium was THE most powerful faction of the time, steamrolling anything that got in it's way even before the found the Primarchs. The only reason why the big I didn't win then and there is that the Horus Heresy more or less spilt the empire in 2 and made the parts fight themselves. What you see today are simply what is left.
>>
>>44341399
Tau, obviously.
>>
>>44342530
I'd guess it's Tyranids > Orks > Humans > Necrons > Tau > Dark Eldar > Eldar. Dunno how to count demons.
>>
>>44342750
Actually, the Necrons are stated to be as numerous as humans. They might even outnumber them a bit.
>>
>>44341614
Chaos is on the precipice of plunging the entire Galaxy into hell.
>>
>>44341399
Nids easily, the silent king saw them in the void and shit himself returning home in an attempt to reunite all the crons since he believes a united necron force are the only thing that can stand against them. That coupled with the fact that they have consumed galaxies before and numbers in the quintillions + and that every planet they eat is permanently lost

I mean according to GW its chaos cause they're the big bad, but in universe they don't seem to have such an immediate threat. Crons and Nids have done more damage in 200 years than chaos has in 10,000

United Crons > Nids > Crons > Chaos
>>
the Jokaero
>>
File: Only Chaos.jpg (47 KB, 684x259) Image search: [Google]
Only Chaos.jpg
47 KB, 684x259
>>44342967
>in universe they don't seem to have such an immediate threat.
>>
>>44342993

>‘Meaning the warp. Why coin new terms for its horrors when we have a bounty of old words that might suit us just as well? We use the words “alien” and “xenos” to describe the inhuman filth we encounter in some locales. The creatures of the warp are just “aliens” too, but they are not life forms as we understand the term. They are not organic. They are extra-dimensional, and they influence our reality in ways that seem sorcerous to us. Supernatural, if you will. So let’s use all those lost words for them… daemons, spirits, possessors, changelings. All we need to remember is that there are no gods out there, in the darkness, no great daemons and ministers of evil. There is no fundamental, immutable evil in the cosmos. It is too large and sterile for such melodrama. There are simply inhuman things that oppose us, things we were created to battle and destroy. Orks. Gykon. Tushepta. Keylekid. Eldar. Jokaero… and the creatures of the warp, which are stranger than all for they exhibit powers that are bizarre to us because of the otherness of their nature.’

>There are simply inhuman things that oppose us, things we were created to battle and destroy.
>Jokaero

Horus knew what was up.
>>
File: Games Workshop.jpg (189 KB, 1383x584) Image search: [Google]
Games Workshop.jpg
189 KB, 1383x584
>>44341399
>>
>>44343091
If they haven't managed to accomplish anything in the last 10,000 years, I don't see why they should suddenly start now. At least the Tyranids haven't consistently proven themselves to be useless failures of the course of several millennia.
>>
>>44344414
In a single moment, Chaos destroyed thousands of Imperial worlds.

Check the Great Awakening.

If you cannot bother to open any Chaos codex and read the lore, then the failure is on you.
>>
>>44344456
Who cares? The Imperium is still there. They can blow up another thousand worlds if they like. As long as the overall picture remains the same it's pointless.
>>
>>44344500
Then the same can be said about the Tyranids and Necrons, you pilock. Which makes your entire line of argumentation pointless.
>>
>>44341399

Chaos. The Necrons after the new fluff
are not a kill-em-all implacable force, but the reanimated corpse of a fractured empire.

The Nids are dangerous, true, but they are ultimately predictible in what they will do. Meaning that the imperium can develop reliable strategies for dealing with them.

In the long run, I'd say the tau are the greatest threat outside of chaos. If you were going to create a force that would be a serious competitor to the imperium, the Tau would be the way to do it. Round up all the xenos without any real presence alone and combine them into a single fighting force. Convert humans once loyal to the imperium. Given time, the Tau would become the greatest threat the imperium will ever know.
>>
Also, gotta remember what the Chaos threat actualy is. Face the Necrons and you will be reduced to atoms in seconds, without even realising ehat hit you. Nids are worse, you will either dissolve or get eaten alive, not a good thing. But against Chaos, your very soul will become a plaything of the nightmares given form, eternaly suffering torments beyond imagination.
>>
>>44344414
>I don't see why they should suddenly start now.

The walls of reality have grown thin and the crop of humanity is now ripe and ready.
>>
>>44341399

A traitor within is more dangerous than 1000 enemies at the gate.
>>
>>44341399

Supposedly it's Chaos. I'd say the most immediate threat is also Chaos. Necrons are a huge threat, sure, but they're not this unstoppable force. Meanwhile, Chaos is infinite and omni-present and Tyranids will be near infinite once the main body arrives.
>>
>>44341399
The imperium of man
>>
>>44341399
The Imperium.
>>
>>44341594
If this is what fate brings, fuck fate, be welcome stagnancy.
>>
>>44342542
Is that from the 3rd edition? Do you have the page where it talks about the Illuminati/Sensei?
>>
>>44344826
That is if the Tau doesn't get overrun by the tyranids or fucked over by emerging human psykers.
>>
>>44342763
Most are still dormant though, last I checked.

Admittedly, I haven't checked in a couple of editions so my knowledge may be out of date.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.