[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been on a sci-fantasy brain train lately so I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6
File: 1435764160049.jpg (481 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
1435764160049.jpg
481 KB, 675x900
I've been on a sci-fantasy brain train lately so I have a question.
Have you ever run or been in a sci-fantasy game? Made a setting? Had ideas to make one?

If so, please share an overview or some details
>>
>>44322014
Yeah, they're pretty fun.

I've found the easiest way to do things is to not make a distinct line between technology and magic. Your communicator has wires, circuits, software, arcane charms and a mana current, and the people of your setting don't really draw a big distinction over this. Your jump drive uses acceleration charms and charged deuterium plasma coupled with 6-lithium crystals mixed with the salts created by a fire elemental, and nobody sees any one of these components as being any more or less weird than the others.

Otherwise you quickly develop this "science vs magic" thing whether you meant to or not that really feels like jarring garbage.
>>
I'm currently in a games set in the Nanoha setting, which is a weird science-fantasy spin on the Magical Girl genre, where the Time Space Administration Bureau (basically magical interdimensional Starfleet) use an army of militarized magical girls on a fleet of magitech battleships to govern and protect the worlds under their administration.

The relationship between magic and science is interesting, with TSAB magic relying heavily on Devices, intelligent machines that perform calculations for their user, making complex magic easier to perform.

The place of conventional technology is also interesting in the universe- The TSAB has a blanket ban on mass based weapons like physical firearms. They're considered extremely dangerous and lethal, given that anyone can use them and they lack the innate ability of magic to be used non-lethally. It's interesting to play in a setting full of superpowered combat mages who still freak the fuck out at the sight of a firearm.
>>
>>44322014
Tenra Bansho Zero has a pretty good take on it. There is absolutely magic on Tenra, but the way most of its users access it is through some kind of technological interface. Channeling spirit power through your weapon requires the weapon to have a chamber and trigger mechanism to store and fire the soul gems. Using your soul to move a giant robot requires high enough access rights and a magical tablet designed to interface the soul with machines. Being a robot requires storing your soul in one of those tablets. The bridge of heaven that's been revered for thousands of years and blew up about five years ago is an orbital elevator built by the vanguard from Earth to dock the giant transport ship that was holding everyone else. Every kind of high technology involves magic on some level, and most kinds of magic require some kind of tech. Even then, everyone can kind of use magic on their own, but it's pretty subtle in appearance and eventually turns them into demons.

Which the people who don't need tech to use magic, like the doctors with giant bugs living in them, the sorcerers who are also the best tech QA people in the world, the Buddhist monks, the supersoldiers and ninja with soul gems surgically implanted and bound to them, the spirits and the natives of the planet, are all already considered outcasts or monsters.
>>
>>44322069
>I've found the easiest way to do things is to not make a distinct line between technology and magic
Yeah, that's what I've also been thinking. In the setting I'm mulling around in my head, technology is what I call deitech - semi-divine pieces of artifice completely beyond our understanding of physics.
An example of such technology (inspired by Hindu mythology): a tiny transclucent sphere that allows its wielder to control weather patterns for miles around. It can turn into a lightning that could be used as a spear, a whip or a bow. An arrow shot from such a bow could also teleport you to whatever place it struck.

>>44322079
Can't say I get magical girls as a genre but thanks for sharing. Also, I like the computing use of the Devices
>>
>>44322303
TBZ is an RPG, isn't it? How crunch-heavy is it?
>>
>>44322353
Not very. The resolution mechanic is really simple, so combat and skill challenges and stuff are designed to be pretty quick. There's a resource-management system in how you use your fate-manipulation power. Besides that, every kind of special splat has their own rules for how their unique ability works, but those are also pretty simple to understand. TBZ follows the general Japanese TTRPG design philosophy of only making specific rules for something if it adds something unique to the game or deviates really far from the base mechanics.
>>
File: 1443287185730.jpg (110 KB, 1024x731) Image search: [Google]
1443287185730.jpg
110 KB, 1024x731
>>
File: 1435737843689.jpg (311 KB, 1426x2000) Image search: [Google]
1435737843689.jpg
311 KB, 1426x2000
>>
File: 1437530068882.jpg (58 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
1437530068882.jpg
58 KB, 500x700
>>
File: 1396145441682.jpg (451 KB, 669x1000) Image search: [Google]
1396145441682.jpg
451 KB, 669x1000
>>
File: 1354367684723.jpg (119 KB, 850x621) Image search: [Google]
1354367684723.jpg
119 KB, 850x621
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.