[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: Imgay.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Imgay.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Reminder this is for competitive modern talk.
What are you:
Playing?
Building?
Hating?
And what do you think a SFM unban would do to the meta?
>>
>>44264051
I played around with SFM with a friend yesterday. We played the following:

Abzanblade vs UR Twin
Twinblade vs UR Twin
UW Stoneblade vs Jund

Some of the games didn't rely on SFM a lot (most of the time it just ate a bolt, we rarely got to cheat in Batterskull). What I do hate about it is exactly this: it's a Steelshaper's Gift that demands removal. SFM's body is actually relevant (especially in Control matchups) and needs to be disposed of quickly or else Batterskull just comes in and nets a huge advantage. I remember a game where UW Stoneblade kept forcing removal spells and eventually equipped a Batterskull on Restoration Angel for crazy amounts of damage. It's cool to say "I have 3 Terminates and 2 Kommands to beat it" but sometimes the life swing is a lot to bear.

We'll play with it again later, but I'm not sure I like seeing Batterskull with SFM. The Swords were BARELY relevant, unlike the 4/4 Vigilance Lifelink that can provide its buffs to other creatures in the lategame.
>>
>>44264051

>And what do you think a SFM unban would do to the meta?

For the most part? Absolutely nothing. Kolaghans Command just destroys Stoneforge Mystic plus any Swords she drops or Batterskull.

On the other hand she now makes white a better colour to play in Modern.
>>
>>44264051
You're always going on about retarded bans/unbans you stupid faggot. Git gud and shut the fuck up with your retarded and uninformed opinions.
>>
File: Agent Hitler.jpg (86 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
Agent Hitler.jpg
86 KB, 1600x1000
>tfw Modernplebs aren't even allowed to have Ponder

How does it feel to be eternally cucked by Mark Rosewater and his endless Jewery?
>>
>>44264304
Thanks for the info, I was wondering how exactly some of that would play out.

>>44264354
Also Abrupt Decay makes swords look embarrassing. Jund vs Bant Blade is a massacre

>>44264414
I haven't even said anything about the bans I was asking other people (´・ω・`)

>>44264427
Ponder is hella good in Legacy, just think of how gross Twin would be if we had it. I do really want preordain unbanned though, Serum Visions seems like a slap to the face
>>
>>44264427
Feels good that Modern is dominated by a single color.
>>
>>44264681
Because blue doesn't dominate legacy?
>>
>>44264585
I think I speak for everyone when I say fuck off.

Nobody needs your stupid responses you pathetic trip fag
>>
File: 1436783688296.jpg (220 KB, 448x455) Image search: [Google]
1436783688296.jpg
220 KB, 448x455
>>44265118
My feeeeelings
>>
Is Crux of Fate good enough to be a temporary replacement until I can save enough for Damnations? Are there many dragons running around,I can't think of any.
>>
>>44265542
The only relevant ones are Mutavault and maybe the white creature that sometimes sees play in Elves. Other than that you are playing a Damnation for 3BB instead of 2BB. You do miss the no regen clause sometimes.
>>
>>44265573
And damnation isn't gonna hit mutavault either
>>
>>44265596
Of course. It only works in case they animated the Mutavault during your turn prior to the wrath.

Aside from the white Changeling, Dragonlord Ojutai (UW Control) and Dragonlord Dromoka (Amulet Bloom), nothing big.
>>
>>44265542
If it's temporary then sure. It'll hurt but its not gunna kill you.
>>
File: 1431887768778.png (622 KB, 806x992) Image search: [Google]
1431887768778.png
622 KB, 806x992
>>44264051
>what do you think a SFM unban would do to the meta?
I'll see your Batterskull and raise you Karn.
mfw i'm the one with the batterskull mfw Karn eats a mana leak
>>
>>44264585
I think ponder is overpowered for modern, but I feel a deep sense of shame whenever says Serum Visions is one of the most powerful cards in modern. I get that's the best we have for cantrips, but really man?
>>
>>44265542
Consume the Meek is better than Crux of Fate. The only creatures above cmc 3 that see play are the delve fatties and rhino. It also kills all manlands, which is more important than killing a delve creature
>>
>>44265952
Very few cards allow you to keep one-land hands. It's much better than you give it credit for.
>>
>>44265952
It's pretty sad imo. I would even settle for scry 1, draw card, scry 1 if we can't have preordain
>>
>>44266014
If a cantrip plays negatively with fetchlands, then its objectively bad.
>>
File: sharedfate.jpg (131 KB, 300x432) Image search: [Google]
sharedfate.jpg
131 KB, 300x432
4 Serum Visions
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Thoughtseize
4 Duress
4 Think Twice
3 Day’s of Undoing
3 Consult the Necrosages
4 Damnation
4 Brainspoil
4 Shared Fate
4 __________ (not sure what else)

18 lands, typical fetches shocks etc. but maybe Exotic Orchard

pls no hate
>>
>>44266242
help on this UB shared fate lock?
probably not as viable at UW or UR but hopefully good fun
>>
>>44266258
White is better for not dying than black is.

Verdict > Damnation, plus you get better sideboard cards.
>>
>>44266223
There's a difference between bad and fair. You can't even argue the other cantrips are fair in Legacy. It's Brainstorm vs Brainstorm vs Brainstorm vs Chalice over there.
>>
>>44266290
the following hand:

serum visions, scalding tarnx2, bolt, snapcaster mage, remand, exarch

is hard to keep since you want to t1 cast visions, but then you can't do anything turn 2 because you'll undo your library manipulation, so you can't remand a turn 2 play, which can put you way behind the game, especially if the turn 2 play is a Goyf.
>>
>>44266277

Is Esper going too far for this strategy? the brainspoil for tutoring and thoughtseize opener seems strong
>>
>>44266329
Go esper, use 4 esper charms instead of necrosages
>>
>>44266329
There's decent mana for esper manabases, but brainspoil just seems bad, even if you want to be tutoring for stuff. Without the tutor, its a sorcery speed, 5 mana kill spell.
>>
>>44266342

>>esper charm
>>destroy target enchantment

are you aware of this decks strategy? baited
>>
>>44266427
Esper Charm is one of the few "goodstuff" cards in that color combination. Not to mention what your deck is trying to do just seems... bad.
>>
>>44265220
Not even that guy but honestly just stop tripfagging. It makes you look like a faggot.
>>
>>44266512

the point is to drop shared fate on turn 5, swapping your collection of jank with their tier one deck. Leaving them with no win condition, putting in esper charm would let them destroy shared fate and break the lock
>>
>>44266427
You are aware that your deck's a bit.... shit? Unable to answer threats via drawing more shitty cards doesn't seem like it would do that well. Almost from any aspect, your deck would benefit from white. Esper charm is better than necrosage, sideboard gets better hate, verdict as a better sweeper, maybe path to exiles, etc.

>>44266290
If it was for no fetches, brainstorm would be absolutely fair.
>>
>>44265118
This. Fucking hell why does /tg/ get the most cancerous tripfags? I wish every board was forced anon.
>>44265220
Kill yourself faggot.
>>
>>44266560
Banning fetch lands in Legacy would be disgusting. They would sooner ban brainstorm, although it will never happen.

>>44266567
Can't no rope will hold my massive weight :((
>>
File: Modern-favs.jpg (397 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Modern-favs.jpg
397 KB, 1000x750
>>44264051
>Playing?
I usually play Affinity, Twin or Resto-Kiki at least once or twice a month. I try to change it up weekly.

Last week I tried RG Scapeshift, but I took out the Relics and mainboarded Anger and Chalice of the Void. Chalice actually won me some games. I played Chalice for 2 on UR Storm... brutal.

It's pretty decent vs Jund, but it's often slow. I don't think I'll play it again.

>Building?
I'm not going to stop in the middle of building a deck to post about it.

>Hating?
Narrow decks like Bogles that aren't that great, but can really fuck me up in the early rounds.

Warp it.
>>
>>44266714
>Warp it
Show your work.
>>
>>44266567
>This. Fucking hell why does /tg/ get the most cancerous tripfags?
Obviously, you haven't been browsing /k/. SkeletonJW ain't got shit on LegalMumboJumbo. At least he's on topic.
>>
>>44266747
>Show your work.
No thanks.

It's one thing to make a youtube series and at least make some money off it. It's another thing to completely waste your time testing non-formats.
>>
>>44266650
Brainstorm is never getting banned in legacy. For better or worse, Legacy is the brainstorm format.
>>
>>44266794
You don't have to test, though testing is something any good MtG player does anyway. All you need to do is explain your reasoning.

WHY would Stoneforge warp the metagame? What makes you think the metagame can't handle it when Bolt, Decay, Kommand, and Thoughtseize are major forces in the format?
>>
Snapcaster gets banned, what happens?
>>
>>44266861
Yup. I'm okay(ish) with it, I like legacy as it is right now.
>>
>>44266910
Twin is bad, blue gets a massive nerf, not sure how it would warp the meta game desu. Twins been here so long it's hard to imagine a world without it.
That or twin becomes All In Twin which is subpar.
>>
>>44266910
Infect is better because you're halving (or more) the count of cheap answers.
>>
>>44266884
>WHY would Stoneforge warp the metagame? What makes you think the metagame can't handle it when Bolt, Decay, Kommand, and Thoughtseize are major forces in the format?
At the very least, seems like it would be pretty good against Elves, Zoo, Affinity and RDW (lot of non-creature-targeting burn these days). In short, it could fuck aggro, giving an edge in the metagame to anything that has trouble with aggro (like Lantern... I'm not saying you run SFM in Lantern, I'm saying that you give it an edge as a secondary effect, because maybe now decks are running more creature spot removal).

Like I said, "warp", not destroy.
>>
>>44266325
T1 Tarn → Island → Semen (Draw, Scry 2)
T2 Tarn pass

Fetch if necessary (must-Remand moment) OR you don't care about the card on top (it's unlikely you wanted to keep both cards on top, but if you did then wait for a must-Remand moment to fetch and lose the card), don't fetch if it's not a must-Remand moment AND you want to keep the card.

Honestly that hand you listed is fine.
>>
>>44266325
Hard to keep, my ass. I'll keep that hand any day.
>>
>>44267005
I'll just play Esper deathblade if sfm gets unbanned.

t1 thoughtseize
t2 sfm
t3 hold up mana leak/snare to protect sfm/skull
t4 hold up cryptic
>>
>>44267005
SFM in Legacy is good against aggro mainly because Jitte is good against aggro. And aggro is over-represented in the format anyway.
>>
>>44267148
>Legacy
>Aggro

like what, RUG? That's basically it.
>>
>>44267148
Aggro is literally unviable until Miracles gets nerfed. Terminus is fucking broken there. Instant Speed Wrath for 1 mana that bypasses Indestructible.
>>
>>44267284
I thought goblins was supposed to shit all over miracles?
>>
>>44267284
Miracles, best legacy deck ever
>>
>>44267388
Terminus shits on goblins
>>
File: scapeshift.jpg (104 KB, 508x421) Image search: [Google]
scapeshift.jpg
104 KB, 508x421
Any BTL Scapeshift fags here? White master race.
>>
>>44267428
>Miracles has a perfectly reasonable wrath that's fucking uncounterable but its costed reasonably for a deck that plays nothing but basic lands
>Gets to play a 1 mana wrath that undoes indestructable

that's kind of bullshit. I'd rather legacy axe terminus than top.
>>
>>44267858
Deck is fun to pilot but it's not very good. It has such a hard time against fast decks. Several Modern decks suffer this fate, unfortunately.
>>
>>44267881
I agree as someone who plays miracles. However miracles hasn't been putting up a whole lot of results recently. Delvers been doing really good again.
>>
>>44267284
Terminus is such a cancer. Would play maverick or something, but nope. Miracles kills it completely.
>>
>>44268061
The thing that gets me is verdict is perfectly playable in a deck that just wants to hit its land drops. Fuck, some miracles players play a verdict in their sb.

>>44267910
I'm an esperfag, but why doesn't Scapeshift run Spell Snare then? when I'm playing esper, my aggro matchups become a game of "how many spell snares do I draw?"

A hand of 2 spell snare, 3 land, cantrip, wrath is a snap keep vs. aggro
>>
>>44267910
True, but it crushes any meta light on aggressive decks. My FNM meta has no Twin, Infect or Affinity so I can devote slots to cards like Timely Reinforcements and other shit. The only thing I regularly lose to is UW Control since everyone runs Geist sideboard, but Pyroclasm helps that a lot.
>>44268152
>I'm an esperfag, but why doesn't Scapeshift run Spell Snare then?
The only counters you run mainboard say "draw a card". It helps you dig for combo pieces and answers. Post board, Negate hits Blood Moon, Choke, and all the planeswalkers in Tron while Dispel is good against Burn and any counterspell matchups. I'm going to go down to two Dispels from three, though. I never want all three.
>>
>tfw have traded away all my swords and SFM's

Please no unban.
>>
Playing magic online is a mistake.

too many salty people, or edgey teens going on about how good their farts smell. I wish I could make it to FNM more.
>>
>>44268387
MTGO or like cockatrice?
>>
Fucking arid mesa. Why so expensive.
I'm starting to hate this money pit game
>>
>>44268719
>being a poorfag

kill yourself
>>
>>44268719
Buy off color fetches till they get reprinted
>>
>>44267881
If a card from miracles got banned it should be counterbalance.
>>
Why do modern players assume that no one actually plays the format when someone disagrees with them? According to the modern community, pros don't play the format, grinders don't play the format, the internet doesn't play the format.

So who does?
>>
>>44268861
One day I want to play countertop in an aggro/control shell, preferably bant. But there's literally no reason to as long as terminus is legal.
>>
>>44268862
Because arguing on the Internet is more fun than playing magic. Plus its free.
>>
>>44268862
It's seems to me like the wizards pros don't play the format, while the scg pros do. Like I think I remember PVTLDR writing an article crying about how modern is a bad pro tour format.
>>
I kinda wanna build Skred.

Should I even bother?
>>
>>44268322
I can't fucking FIND Stoneforges around here. I'm gonna have to resort to buying them online rather than trading or getting them with store credit.
>>
>>44269092
If you have an actual competitive deck to take to gps and stuff then yeah go for it. I wouldn't recommend it as a first deck though.
>>
>>44269041
The SCG pros are bad at magic though.
>>
>>44269170
most of them are, yes. they're probably better than most of "the modern community" though.
>>
>>44269170
Nobody is good at Magic, anon. The only thing people seem to be good at anymore is metagame calls. You take away the established metagame and everyone loses their minds.
>>
>>44269170
>>44269245
yeah it's kind of hard for me to say someone is good at a game based mostly on luck and hidden information.
>>
>>44269266
It's possible to be good or bad at poker, for example. But that takes an understanding of probability, and you can calculate all of the relevant missing information because you know the total card pool.

Magic involves a lot of guesswork based on an expected metagame. Anything that breaks those expectations causes problems. For example I once took an 8th Edition precon deck ("Sky Slam") I'd rounded out to 60 cards to a Modern FNM and went 3-1 with it. People had no idea what the fuck I was doing half the time because mono-U fliers isn't a "real deck", and it was glorious.
>>
>>44268561
either or

cock is much worse obviously
>>
>>44268387
Playing magic online is a mistake just in the sense, that this game doesn't translate well into PC version. The amount of clicking skip to responses is so demented.
>>
>>44269170
The SCG crew say a bunch of things that I know are just false. Their legacy coverage is usually downright painful to listen to.

>>44269266
It sounds like you're the kind of player who just plays cards, and doesn't play games.
>>
>>44270529
Playing online is a way to learn the rules, the stack, and technical play.
>>
>>44268792
That doesn't sound like a good idea in a two colour deck
>>
>>44269527
Most players seem to turn up to FNM prepped for maybe the top 3 decks they think they'll face plus apocryphal knowledge of other decks. It's part of why I think netdecking hurts a newer player by damaging their ability to evaluate cards, because the second you bring a rogue deck and decide you're taking this thing off road and everyone loses their shit.
>>
>>44270737
I think that's more of a standard issue, where you have sideboard cards for specific matchups rather then for strategies.
>>
>>44270947
>where you have sideboard cards for specific matchups
Sounds an awful lot like the way most Modern sideboards get built. As >>44270737 observed most Modern players prep for a few T1 matchups they know their deck will struggle with.
>>
>>44270737
>Most players seem to turn up to FNM prepped for maybe the top 3 decks they think they'll face plus apocryphal knowledge of other decks.
I think you're right, but it still baffles me sometimes that people don't try and understand how other decks work. For me, I'm interested in the format and I do research and read about all kinds of decks. I could probably write down a list of most of the major T1, T2, and T3 decks and what their key cards and strategies are. It's not rocket science, it's just knowing information.

>>44269527
>For example I once took an 8th Edition precon deck ("Sky Slam") I'd rounded out to 60 cards to a Modern FNM and went 3-1 with it. People had no idea what the fuck I was doing half the time because mono-U fliers isn't a "real deck", and it was glorious.
What did you play against? It seems like most of the T1 and T2 pool would give a slow aggro deck with low card quality an absolute beating.
>>
>>44271050
I think the real problem with moderns sideboards is the lack of good card filtration, so you need to jam 4-5 sideboard cards to get a 50ish% chance to see them in a 3-4 turn game. So you either jam specific hate and have a few good matchups, or jam general hate and have a bunch of alright matchups.
>>
>>44271165
It was a while back, but I recall losing to Tron and beating Twin when he played into countermagic drawn off of Magpies.
>>
>>44271165
>It's not rocket science, it's just knowing information.
And it's shocking how few people really understand the full meta rather than just knowing what hoses Affinity, Jund or Twin.
>>
>>44270737
Metagaming for FNMs like that works pretty well, depending on the size. I inform most of my specific card choices based on what I saw last week, then cards which are powerful against whole archetypes, then cards which answer strategies that my deck struggles against that I don't see very much. So a third of my sideboard is for dredge, even though I would go down to way less in a big tourney.
>>
File: Rhino workout.jpg (23 KB, 710x487) Image search: [Google]
Rhino workout.jpg
23 KB, 710x487
>Players Championship elimination round
>two twin decks

TWIN FAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

ALL HAIL RHINO
>>
>>44272485
is it streaming now? link me
>>
File: 8919bda794[1].png (3 KB, 199x35) Image search: [Google]
8919bda794[1].png
3 KB, 199x35
>>44272521
>>
>>44272562
ilu bb
>>
>>44272576
oh gosh
>>
>>44272604
why did someone make this
>>
File: k_valentine.jpg (532 KB, 1200x746) Image search: [Google]
k_valentine.jpg
532 KB, 1200x746
>>44272638
because love can bloom
>>
>>44272638
Baka onii-chan
>>
>>44272651
p-post more
>>
>>44270737

Actually I think it's alright if new players netdeck and then they get to see what's in their meta and then they tweak and adjust their mainboard and sideboards. Once they're more familiar with the format and what's being played more prevalently in their area they will have learned new things and can brew their own stuff or start to adapt to change and make their decks different to original stock lists.

On another note to a lesser extent it also depends on the players attitude in the store towards new players, I had some guy come in with rubbish jank greenstuff and all I did was help him tweak his deck with some good cheap options ala mono G stompy stuff like Rancor, Strangleroot Geist, Leatherback Baloth etc. Guy seemed genuinely happy and vowed to return again to our Modern nights. I found out later apparently that he brought that deck to another store for Modern and everyone in that store just laughed at him and his deck out of the store, which I think is bloody awful. Last thing I want is less Modern players, I showed him how Ad Nauseam worked and I swear it's like his brain exploded.
>>
>>44270737
New players should play weaker decks so they learn how to navigate games and make tougher decisions, and also learn how all other decks operate without the new player having to spend a ton of money. Playing the worse decks really well will teach you the basics of how to play the great decks better.
>>
File: 1450577621743-1510548630.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
1450577621743-1510548630.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>44264051
>Playing?
Pic related
>Building?
Pic related
>Hating?
Pic related. Why'd I do this to myself
Nope. Fuck that
>>
>>44272759
Why did you build that? You know Jund is better
>>
>>44272790
I know ;_; I have like 10 snapcasters just laying around so all I needed were the lands. I wanna play jund now so fuck
>>
>>44272826
b0ss pleas gibe da snapcasta
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 265x370
What's the best Storm Crow deck in the format?
>>
>>44272868
whatever u want b cause ur my b
>>
>>44272903
cool mail them to me buddy
>>
>>44272892
Jund/Tron/Affinity/Twin with 1 storm crow in the sideboard.
>>
>>44272935
already on their way buddy bud
>>
>>44272965
thanks, just got them brah
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 200x285
>>44272957
I'm bein serious

Need best crow/bird tribal deck tier 1 pls

Like with Æther vial and stuff
>>
>>44273101
Yeah, I gave you a serious answer.
>>
>>44272666
>>
I've seen a few posts with some neat - looking Esper Control lists, any anons mind sharing if they got em? I rock Skred and G/W Hatebears so I want a change of pace
>>
>>44273384
Gifts control?

Mill control?

What kind of control did you have in mind?
>>
Reminder that Kolaghan's Command kills both the SFM and the Batterskull.
>>
Is storm really that bad? I want to build it but it sounds like a waste of money
>>
>>44273793
In modern? Yes
In legacy? No
>>
File: FavorableWinds[1].jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
FavorableWinds[1].jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>44272892
You wanna run four of these
>>
>>44273793
It used to be good but has been fucked for a number of reasons, including Eidolon of the Great Revel because Wizards hates decks that actually dedicate their entire deck to getting a one turn kill and would rather you jam 4x Splinter Twin and a split of your choice of Pestermites and Deciever Exarchs into a U/R goodstuffs deck, occasionally go "oops guess I win" and call it a 'combo' deck.
>>
>>44266242
Oh god, this card was the center point of the first deck I ever made
>>
>>44266242
You probably want Mana Leaks and Remands in there, great for stalling.
>>
How could you make Tarox Bladewing work? What could tutor a bunch of them? Like a red/black tutor deck?
>>
>>44266242
Probe isn't too great here, if you want more card digging, go for Sleight of Hand or Anticipate.

Day's Undoing feels a little win more. It goes against all the hand disruption you have and seems to be a correct play only if you already have shared fate down. I'd replace it with some counter magic.
>>
>>44273384
Playing control in modern is not for the faint of heart.
>>
What's the highest you've revved for at an event?
>>
>>44273957
Why would you ever run that over Thundermaw Hellkite?

>>44274197
Everyday I regret selling my Colonnades
>>
>>44274291
revved?
>>
>>44274291
Nine I think. Usually anything over five is GG though.
>>
>>44274312
if you have can play one and have two in hand you win
its just a dumb idea i had when i saw the card
>>
>>44274197
How's White's Sun's Zenith treating you? Not many lists I see run that one
>>
>>44274345
Well, I suppose you could run like Infernal Tutor and be Hellbent to get at least one. Also Summoning Pact.
>>
>>44274375
hmmmmmm maybe i can make this work kinda
>>
>>44274359
It closes out games fast when it comes down, and it can even buy some time earlier in the game without the risk of wasting a wincon. Only thing I would swap it for is Elspeth, Sun's Champion, and then replace the SB one with another Teferi.
>>
>>44274197
How are you doing against burn/zoo?
Also have you tried entreat the angels instead of white sun's zenit?
>>
>>44274488
You just convinced me to go grab one on PucaTrade
>>
>>44274586
Burn is a pain in the ass, mostly because I can't afford to run any SB cards that only come in against one deck. G1 comes down to whether or not I can kill off his early creature, and then whether or not I can get off a Rev to stabilize. It's not easy, but post board it gets a bit better. I don't bring in Leyline, so he probably boards in some dead cards, and if I can stick Baron or Baneslayer it's GG.
Out:
Shadow, Remand, 1 Think Twice, 3 Supreme Verdict, and WSZ
In:
2 Clique, Negate, Purge, EE, Blood Baron, and Baneslayer

Zoo is a lot easier. Spell Snare and Verdict are tough on most aggro decks in the format, and Zoo doesn't run Cavern of Souls to play around Snare, so I'd say it's a favorable MU, which gets better post board when I bring in the 4th wrath and fatties.
Out:
Shadow of Doubt, Remand, Snapcaster Mage, Negate, WSZ if it's small zoo
In:
Wrath of God, Blood Baron, Baneslayer, Elspeth, EE if it's small zoo.

Without the ability to put cards back into my library, Entreat is sub-par. Also, the main strength of WSZ is the instant speed and shuffle, not necessarily the power of the tokens. Entreat the Angels does neither.
>>
>>44270737
I remember making a pyroclasm based deck around the time Delver was running rampant, the butthurt was glorious.

The meta of course nowadays is much more diverese, but if you can capitalize on your own local meta with your own brews, it can be a huge blowout.
>>
>>44273957
I like your idea but your win con dies to removal, what's your plan b?
>>
>>44274902
fling it in response and then bolt
>>
File: 1425694146340.jpg (121 KB, 524x492) Image search: [Google]
1425694146340.jpg
121 KB, 524x492
>"You can't ban Stoneforge it'd just go into every white deck instantly!"
>Snapcaster goes in every blue deck
>Tarmogoyf goes in every green deck
>>
>>44275338

Actually Tarmogoyf doesn't go into every green deck, most of those decks are really just "splashing Green for Goyf." Decks like Elves don't even bother with it.

You are right about Snapcaster though.
>>
>>44275338
https://www.strawpoll.me/6314497/
>>
God I want to play stoneblade in modern so bad.
>>
>>44275338
this
stoneforge is hardly on the same level as those two fag lords
>>
>>44275338
They will unban it because it'll be a great mythic to reprint in the next money masters.

If it were a common, they'd never unban it because sales.

I guarantee if Treasure Cruise was printed at Mythic Rarity, it would have never been banned in Modern.
>>
>>44275948
DTT was a Rare and it was banned.
>>
>all these people wishing for Stoneforge Mystic

Find a few friends and play with it and against it in unsanctionned events. It's really easy and you can even proxy some decks. Your opinion will be less trash like those who keep saying "Kolaghan's Command exists" without actually testing it. Good observation, most cards on the banlist do have answers. You can just Lightning Bolt the Glistener Elf in response to Blazing Shoal but that card still isn't fair.

Just test it, faggots.
>>
>>44276038
I'll argue DTT was an over reaction to Treasure Cruise
>>
>>44276111
Unfortunately having a few friends test won't be enough, we really need the card to be unbanned to be able to properly test it in large enough numbers.
>>
>Friends play Magic
>I stopped played all TCGs a long time ago when I lost all my friends three years in a row because moving and shit
>Still have my classic Umi deck for YuGiOh.
>Decide I may try to finally get into Magic.
>Friends are useless for good suggestions, so just go to Walmart while out getting other shit and grab a 2-deck Duel pack
>It's Zendikar vs. Eldrazi
Did I make the right choice given my friends are all scrubs who play for fun?

Already read up on all the keywords and shit, cause those are pretty damn important.
>>
>>44276565
Duel decks are a fine way to learn the game and have some fun with your friends.
>>
>>44276565
no you should have started playing vintage instead and you should have taken out a second mortgage to finance a deck you fucking casual piece of shit
>>
>>44276588
I see, thanks. I'm glad it was that easy
>>44276623
I honestly can't tell if you're serious, joking, or being a troll like how /v/ is on a daily basis.
>>
>>44276565
Yeah its a good way to start playing. Never a good idea to jump into something super hard.
>>
>>44276661
nah mate im just jokin with you
In all seriousness though, a duel deck is fine to play with friends and learn the game. I'd recommend getting more of them desu, then get more into it seriously or do whatever you do I don't really care
>>
>>44276695
Thanks, Tripfag, I hope you speak the truth.
>>44276702
No problem then. It seemed a little over the top for vidya turbo autism.
If it goes well, I'll probably look into the next expansion and try whatever pops out of that.

Best general I've seen in a while. 10/10.
>>
File: 20141031_184033.jpg (1 MB, 1314x1728) Image search: [Google]
20141031_184033.jpg
1 MB, 1314x1728
>>44276111
Already have. Don't be a coward anon.
>>
>>44276260
It was banned all the way up to legacy and restricted in vintage (basically banned there) so not that much of an over reaction
>>
>>44276260
People still think DTT wasn't broken piece of shit? How?

>>44275338
Unbanning cards doesn't follow the game logic in wotc.... Well, I thought of an argument, in which wotc is conservative about unbanning and will certainly not do rash thing like that. But then I remembered they banned Pod. Although it's easier to ban things, than unban them, I suppose.
>>
>playing restore balance at LGS modern night
>i'm 3-0
>draw no lands opening hand
>mulligan to 6
>5 lands, 1 post
>mulligan to 5
>all 3 restore balances in opening hand plus jace and steam vents
>mulligan to 4
>simian, simian, outburst, swamp
WAKE ME UP INSIDE
>>
I was going through the list and I was wondering on a few cards Why are Umezawa's Jitte, Sword of the Meek, and Punishing Fire banned?
>>
>>44277345
Sword has an infinite, punishing fire gets weird with grove of the burnwillows, jitte is just super good
sword might get unbanned because nobody really cares about it
>>
>>44277345
Punishing fire because of
burnwillows I think
Jitte because idk
I dunno pretty tame bans
Meek bc idk
>>
>>44277345
Jitte is disgusting good. It's a planeswalker on a stick and should never be allowed near modern
>>
is thopter combo even that viable with a sword unban?
Reshape costs an absurd amount
>>
>>44277545
I wish you would leave.
Several people already answer posts but you're such an attention whore you have to interject every time
>>
>>44277345

It has some extremely potent interactions and modes that defy most normal combat damage interactions.

For example a Jitte on a creature with 2/2 first strike can do this to a 4/4 creature:

1. Deal first strike combat damage during first damage step. 4/4 has taken 2 damage.
2. Charge counters are added on Jitte
3. Use Jitte's ability to put two -1/-1 counters on the 4/4 creature causing it to go down to 2 toughness which will cause it to die because it had already received 2 damage earlier from first strike combat damage step.

Basically you hit with Jitte just ONCE and you will win most creature combat interactions in almost every case. If you block the creature with Jitte, your creature/their creature/both creatures will probably die and Jitte will get counters. If you don't block the creature with Jitte, it gets counters anyway and slowly picks off your creatures or just pumps up and does even more damage.
>>
>>44277634
I love how the 3 and only offtopic shitposts are about the trip of an ontopic poster.
Make that 4 posts.
That from that what you will anon, but perhaps, john, you are the faggots.
>>
File: double fined.jpg (158 KB, 504x644) Image search: [Google]
double fined.jpg
158 KB, 504x644
>>44277397
>they banned the otherwise inoffensive uncommon instead of banning Grove of the Burnmoney

Wizards~
>>
>>44277854
Well at least it got you to take off the trip for a bit
>>
>>44277397
As I said earlier, they will always prefer to ban the less expensive card if they can so they can use the card as an asset to move packs later.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-17+at+11.42.00).png (21 KB, 186x812) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-17+at+11.42.00).png
21 KB, 186x812
>>44264051
ALERT ALERT

HOT OFF THE PRESSES

NEW MEME DECK INBOUND

GET YOUR COPIES OF SEANCE NOW BEFORE THE PRO TOUR
>>
>>44264051
>Playing?
Grixis Delver
>Building?
Nothing. I have shifted into legacy and vintage.
>Hating?
Abzan, and Junk
>>
>>44278135
seems underwhelming tbqf
>>
>>44278135
I played against this deck and it did nothing.
>>
>>44272485
>You mean the great twin noodle fight?
>>
>>44278173
that was breddy funny
>>
File: image.png (181 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
181 KB, 640x1136
>>44277949
>mfw you don't use filters or other resources are your disposal and instead insist upon proverbially shitting on threads with your babby whining

>>44278135
Feels like living end but more mindrange and less combo, good thing I pack relics to deal with graveyard memes
>>
hasn't it already been stated that SFM is NOT getting unbanned?

man, i wish i had a set of SFM's to sell off because of all these shitlords driving up the price
>>
>>44278728
who confirmed that?
>>
>>44280102
Found it

https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/672960807076925440?s=17

I mean, sure he could be pulling peoples leg, but I would buy now is all.
>>
>>44280144
That is not an answer though.

It could be "Crazy,but true" or a "No that's Crazy"
>>
Any Eggs players here?
How fast can you play out your combo?
I'm thinking of bringin a chronometer to FNM and time it when I'm comboing out.

Also:
>second sunrise unban when?
>>
File: Fried_egg,_sunny_side_up.jpg (81 KB, 513x444) Image search: [Google]
Fried_egg,_sunny_side_up.jpg
81 KB, 513x444
>>44280426
Forgot pic
>>
>>44280335
>>44280144

oops i meant would not buy now, either way suit yourself. i dont give a shit either way.
>>
Is there a worse feel than losing to a janky pile that just happens to have a good matchup against your deck?
>>
>>44280426
Someone should post a current Eggs list, I want to run it to piss people off
>>
>>44281484
Losing a really close, interesting game in a ~50/50 matchup comes close but I know your pain. It's like humiliating and you're mad at yourself for losing and you're mad at yourself for being upset over a card game and you're mad at the dude across from you for playing a pile.
>>
>>44281484
Losing when they get a lucky topdeck when they have no cards in hand and you have a million answers
>>
Is Vigor Bloom the real deal? I'm thinking of bringing it to a shillcity open in January.
>>
>>44281958
I'm bringing infect to that
And yes it is
>>
>>44281958
It's really explosive and steamrolls over non-control decks fair amount of the time but also has those games where you draw 5-6 blanks in a row more than other tier decks. It also requires you not to mess up your land sequencing nor tutoring with Titan once since you can't afford to hand your opponent any extra turns.
>>
>>44280144
Shitsux. I mean I'm getting SFM because I'm moving over to Legacy, but still. Modern could use an aggressive unban or two, and shit like Stoneforge that was banned when the Modern format was still new and the established metagame was weak doesn't have to stay banned.
>>
>>44281768
Eggs is pretty flexible to an extent, but I run several variations on this:

4x Chromatic Sphere
4x Chromatic Star
1x Codex Shredder
4x Darksteel Citadel
4x Faith's Reward
2x Radiant Fountain
4x Ghost Quarter
4x Ichor Wellspring
5x Island
4x Krark-Clan Ironworks
3x Lotus Bloom
4x Mox Opal
3x Open the Vaults
4x Plains
1x Pyrite Spellbomb
4x Reshape
4x Terrarion
1x Tezzeret the Seeker
>>
>>44277883
Grove isn't broken by itself, it's just a very good land. It's completely balanced and exclusive sees play in GR Tron and some Kiki Chord lists. Definetely a fine card.

Punishing Fire is shit without Grove, and it doesn't go anywhere if Grove is banned. At least Grove without Punishing is played.
>>
>>44282132
How does this win again? I've never seen it in action because people just leave
>>
>>44282181
Play eggs, sac them for mana/card draw.
Play Faith's Reward to get them back.
Recur FR with Codex Shredder.
Loop Pyrite Spellbomb for two damage each time.

Other lists try and generate enough mana for a big Banefire, but I like winning through an egg more since it's not such a dead draw early on.
You could try and cast an Emrakul as well, but again, dead draw early on.
>>
>>44282181
>>44282132
Also, no fetches/shocks since our eggs filter mana anyway, and we need all the life we can get.
>>
>>44282245
I thought some lists ran hallowed fountain
>>
>>44280144
Well that's (potentially) dissapointing. But still doesn't really answer the question.
>>
>>44282356
take it as a no and hope for the best.
>>
>>44282269
There are lists that do, but I feel that it's hardly ever necessary and the two life hurts more.

If your meta is full of combo, then I'd probably run the shocks no problem, but against aggro strategies it's something to consider.
>>
>>44282440
You can realistically outrace any aggro deck besides Burn, since an Eidolon fucks you up big time. Running two fetches and one Fountain is correct, I think.
>>
>>44277325
Bro, I'm running restore balance as well. Removed march of the machines and a simian for Tamiko and Ajani Vengeant. Blow up their shit and then tap down the rest of their shit for the rest of the game. Need a better way to deal with planeswalkers like lilli beyond windmill slamming a turn 1/2 bloodmoon.
>>
I'm brewing up a sliver deck with CoCo and looking for some input.

Most, if not all creatures will be under 4cmc so I'm wondering if I should go with Chord or vial?

Also, I think tempo could be a viable route and card draw is something I'm struggling with. Would a play set of Remand be something worth testing?
>>
>>44283981
I don't think remand is where a creature-based aggro deck wants to be. Merfolk doesn't run it. In terms of disruption, I think abrupt decay is better for you; it gives you a chance against twin which I assume would wreck you otherwise, and it hits most relevant things in the format. I definitely think you should go vial over chord as you just want more of a critical mass than specific selection of silver bullets I think. Look up the 4c slivers deck from that one modern open. I think he top 8d.
>>
im just getting into mtg now what are some essential cards? im trying to make a blue/black deck
>>
>>44284117
See
>>44264051
>Reminder this is for competitive modern talk.
Go to Reddit and make a thread, people there love helping newbies out.
>>
>>44284117
UB isn't really good in modern without red, or to a lesser extent white. Start with lands. Polluted delta, flooded strand, watery grave, hallowed fountain. Then move to staples like thoughtseize, inquisition of kozilek, path to exile, snapcaster mage, jace vryns prodigy, remand I guess. I'd look up a good deck on mtgtop8 or mtggoldfish and start acquiring the cards in those lists.
>>
>>44284117
You would probably get better advice if you start a new thread for MTG beginners.
>>
>>44283981
Look it up on youtube, saw a good slivers deck vs twin I think?
Was pretty baller, I think it was a pro tour or some event too.
>>
>>44283981
Eh. Slivers were always better as CounterSliver/Meathooks, so I'm not sure a tribal theme plus CoCo is as big a deal as people seem to think. Though people often cite Decay as a sticking point you can play around that easily.
>>
Yo, What deck should I play? It would be nice if it was under 300 bucks and not extremly linear like burn or infect.
Doesnt need to be T1, but should be fairly consistent.
>>
>>44284626
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-ur-storm-15956#paper
Use off colored fetches and its about 300
>>
>>44284675
Isnt storm just playing with yourself? Like straight up solitaire?
>>
>>44284311
>>44284214
thanks
>>
>>44284701
Sort of, at least in modern, although you have to play around what your opponent does. It certainly isn't extremely linear.
>>
>>44284701
Ideally every deck plays Solitaire. Storm still has to play around hate. Cards like Scavenging Ooze and Eidolon of the Great Revel are common in Modern, not to mention even more dangerous hate out of the SB.
>>
>>44284746
Legacy Storm *kind of* interacts with discard at least. I mean its still a very linear deck, but it has some semblance of interaction.
>>
>there are jundfags that want DRS unbanned
>a card that's playable in the most busted format in magic

why do people not understand exactly why DRS is not legal in modern
>>
>>44284626
Infect isn't as linear as you think
>>
>>44285072
Modern infect is still pretty linear, even if its not as linear as its made out to be.

The legacy version is a lot more interactive though, and the modern version definitely feels linear in comparison.
>>
>>44285072
It is. I played it, its literally "drop a dude, attack, pump. if he has mana open and depending on his deck, wait for 2 spells so you can react to his bolt or some shit"
At least in burn you have to think about some decisions.
>>
>>44284943
Anyone who thinks DRS should be unbanned should probably stop playing modern.
Mind you I want it unbanned as a Jund player but its hilariously unrealistic to expect it to be unbanned
>>
>>44285147
>drop a dude, attack, pump

that's how retards play the deck
>>
>>44285200
so then how is it played?
>>
>>44285170
I play legacy/vintage and even in those formats, DRS is pretty nutty in what it can do. DRS + Wasteland means you can waste your opponent, then DRS exiles the wasted card, which means your wasteland took out a card AND netted you mana which is absolutely crazy on its own.

Obviously, those formats have more powerful cards so they aren't "play DRS or lose" and its just another really good card. But modern obviously would be severely warped by having DRS in it.

>Mind you I want it unbanned as a Jund player but its hilariously unrealistic to expect it to be unbanned

I'd like Jace the Mindsculptor unbanned too but I realize Jace would probably make twin Tier 0 and its just not worth it, even if I'd like to throw Jace in some kind of Esper Control deck as the sole win condition.
>>
>>44285170
They should unban both DRS and BBE. There is no way this would make jund go out of control. I swear.
>>
>>44285258
What would Jund drop for them?
>>
>>44285242
I honestly don't think Twin would run JTMS. Maybe the Grixis version, but its really awkward on their curve because thats when they want to combo off or use Snapcaster.

>>44285258
I waaaaaaant BBE
>>
>>44285277
Anything else with a CMC 4 or higher. They no longer need it with BBE.
>>
>>44285280
Twin runs AoT in its sideboard, there's no way Big Jace doesn't replace it.

Remember, a repeatable brainstorm every turn is a good way to find your combo pieces and filter away crap you don't need.

>>44285280
BBE is probably fine. It homogenizes all the Jund lists, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

>>44285277
Junds 4 drop slot replaces huntmasters, etc. for BBE.

I'm not sure what Jund would cut for DRS, but there's no way Jund doesn't run it.
>>
>>44285325
Jund doesn't run anything with CMC higher than 4.
Also Tasigur would probably go, Huntmaster, and probably a bob or 2
>>
>>44285348
>Jund doesn't run anything above cmc 4
>proceeds to mention tasigur two words later
>>
>>44285344
Thats true, I forgot about AOT. But would they mainboard it? Thats the question.
>>
>>44285277
Anything and everything?
>>
>>44285277
banana lad and huntmaster are the first to go probably
>>
>>44285369
Haha I'm actually retarded. I don't ever think about Tasigur as a 6CMC card due to delve.
>>
>>44285369
>Casting Tasigur for more than 2 mana
>>
>>44285388
>this somehow changes the CMC of the fucking card
>>
>>44285344
>BBE is probably fine
This anon either forgot, is a long-time Jund player in denial, or is too new to know better.

BBE is not "fine". In fact with Kommand in the mix it's probably LESS fine than it was when it was banned.
>>
>>44285370
There are versions of Twin that play a single mainboard Keranos. I don't think playing a single copy of him in the main is out of the question, though that would be something that is probably dependent on the pilot. You'd almost have to play the full playset of Jace post-board though, he's too good not to.

Its easy to forget, twin plays a decent amount of cards that great in the early game but bad later on (Spell Pierce, Remand, etc.) and Jace + fetch putting those cards away for better action/combo pieces is pretty nutty in Twin.
>>
File: aint gotta explain shit.jpg (180 KB, 534x900) Image search: [Google]
aint gotta explain shit.jpg
180 KB, 534x900
>>44285438
>a 4 mana elf that gives you a spell is banned
>a 2 mana chink that gives you a spell is fine
>>
>>44285444
I suppose you're right. I'm still gunna hold off on selling my copies of him just incase he gets unb& in the upcoming update
>>
>>44285438

>2 for 1s are unhealthy for magic
>>
Wouldn't it be funny if there wasn't any changes to the ban list? All this talk and they don't change a thing.
>>
>>44284051
My main concern is running out of gas.
Any ideas on how to draw some cards?
>>
>>44285465
I wouldn't ever sell any copies I had even if he never entered modern. He's an eternal staple for grindier blue decks, and if you ever want to play a fair midrange blue deck in legacy/vintage, Jace is what you turn to.

Plus, if he did get unbanned somehow, his price would literally be $200+ overnight
>>
>>44285520
I'm contemplating buying a playset of Stoneforges while my lgs is having a sale.

If there's no changes I've got two EDH decks at least that can use two of them in the meantime while I potentially save up to build legacy Death and Taxes

Or I could just buy four Polluted Deltas while they're cheap. I don't really have a deck for them but I feel if I don't buy them while they're $20 I'm gonna kick myself a year from now
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.