[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shadowrun General /srg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50
File: small robot friend.gif (2 MB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
small robot friend.gif
2 MB, 500x375
Connecting to Shadowlands BBS...
>Verifying Biometrics...
>Identity Verified...
>Opening /srg/...

Books:
http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr

Chummer 5:
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/latest
Issue tracker:
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/latest

Last Thread >>44178675

Thread topic: Riggers - What would you like to see improved or added to make them usable in 5e?
>>
Ok I have a player who thinks he does not need more then one sin and uses his "real name" Now the type of game I'm running has them doing legal work but I wanted to know if there is any rules on tracking a sin or do the person in question just need to know the right people?
>>
>>44199253
NOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>44199756
Well there are rules for checking a fake sin, and if it fails once then it will fail any and all future tests of any type.
The SIN is used to track purchases at legal establishments, licenses and things like rent and bills. so if you have access to the SIN database you could see those things as well as when and where the SIN was checked for validity.
As far as tracking where they are right now from their SIN, I would say a matrix perception looking for a commlink broadcasting that SIN then you would have to get marks on it then run a trace.

If the person knows the right people and never buys things from "legal" places and lives in a place that doesn't care about sin (like an slum apartment for orks and trolls), then their SIN wont have much to track. or they might know a decent ID forger who can get them more than one SIN.
>>
>>44199582
>Riggers

Simply put: More vehicle customization options.
As it stands, making a vehicle rigger is sub-optimal at best, and usually is a secondary role for a sammy. Preferably something that can make vehicles more stealthy, since they can get loads of firepower with mounted weapons.
>>
>>44201949
This
Any decent cybered up Sammy with reaction enhancers can fit a control rig and data jack and put a few points into Pilot ground vehicle and instantly be a decent Vehicle Rigger in terms of driving.
>>
>>44202025
>control rig
>and datajack
Omae, please.
>>
>>44199582
Can you guys help me come up with cool bar name for my character to have worked at as a bouncer? I'm having trouble coming up with anything that's not cliche.
>>
>>44202827
O right. Whoops my bad.
>>
>>44202852
Pinball.
>>
>>44202852
The Rusty Nail
Kirk's Place
Hobart and Wayne's
Runner's Hideout
The Thirsty Dwarf
>>
>>44203230
>Runner's Hideout
Little direct there omae
>>
>>44202852
>>44203057
>>44203230

How about the Louphole, and the owner is a lycanthrope?
>>
>>44202852
Bar names are supposed to be cliche. Could just be "Bar".
>>
>>44203271
Like there wouldn't be a shadowrunner themed bar, where all the wannabes pay $8 for a PBR?
>>
I just started Shadowrun Hong Kong for the first time the other day and Jesus fuck do I hate the Matrix. I'd just like to vent about that for a moment. I hate it like I hate going to the dentist.

Damn if it isn't *pretty*, though.

So how do you guys describe the Matrix for your deckers? Neon and Tron, or simulated rooms, or luminous abstract stuff, or what?
>>
Can you add additional cyberlimbs (ie: have you're full natural set of arms/legs and then have an extra cyberarm), or do something like having cyberarms in place of your legs?
>>
>>44203377
No to the former, unless you happen to have more than two arms to replace naturally.

For the latter, no but there are a couple of cyberleg options that give you upgraded feet. (raptor legs, for instance.)
>>
>>44203377
no unless your gm says yes
no unless your gm says yes, or you could use the monkey foot gubbin
>>
>>44203377
The nerve connections for limbs have got to be pretty specific, right? Would you need some king of arm-to-leg adapter to stick an arm on your leg stump?
>>
>>44203344
>An upper-middle class poser who learned everything he knows about Running on the Matrix and hangs around a theme bar with a bunch of well-off hipsters and cosplayers

And I think I have a concept for my next character. God bless you /tg/.
>>
>>44203344
I feel like you'd get more than one actual shadowrunner hanging out in the back room, though. After all, who would look for the real thing in such an obviously poseur-trap? It'd be the perfect place to actually hide.
>>
>>44203461
>>44203474
>>44203457
Thanks. Also, is it possible to buy off a metagenic quality with karma during character creation, or to take an cyber/bio augmentation that would negate it? Specifically asking about Striking Skin Pigmentation here.
>>
>>44202852
Moe's.
>>
>>44204146
Mo-e or M-oh?
>>
>>44203587
Anon had a pretty rad run idea a few threads back. Some corporate bigwig has a son that loves Shadowrunner movies. So he was having a Shadowrunner themed birthday party, with actors playing runners, all trenchcoated up and everything. Except he's learn that there's going to be an attempted kidnapping, and he's replaced the actors with the PCs.

>>44203348

Depends on the host. They're all sculpted, after all. I guess somewhat tronish underneath it all, but the interface varies from place to place, particularly in big name locations like AAA domains. Increasingly surreal when Technomancers are involved.
>>
>>44202852

I have an idea for a Decker bar called Drown(Sorrows). There would be a sign that would look like

10 Get Nuyen
20 Get Drinks
30 GOTO 10

And each part of the sign would light up in sequence. All of the drinks would come with choice of White Ice, basic icecubes, or Black Ice, some kind of frozen liquor. The menu would have drink names like Dumpshock and Data Bomb.
>>
File: 1345273645316.jpg (201 KB, 1500x685) Image search: [Google]
1345273645316.jpg
201 KB, 1500x685
>>44203587
>Obnoxious K-Pop blaring
>Tables are packed with fresh-faced kids drinking ¥20 cocktails and answering to drek like "Razor", "Whiplash", and "Nightshade"
>They're all taking turns bragging about "runs" they just got off of and trying to impress the elf waitresses they think might be listening in.
>Just an Average Friday night at the Runner's Hideout
>Suddenly the door is blown open and the bouncer catches a face full of shrap.
>12 Lone Star tactical operators rush in and hold everybody at gun point
>"Okay, which one of you Panza?"
>This weedy little punk who thinks he's Fastjack janders out of the crowd. Laser sights track him all the way.
>"We ain't givin' you pigs nothing. So why don't y-"
>2-Leet (yeah that's his handle) catches a rifle butt with his skull.
>Rest of the customers immediately start with choruses of "Police brutality!" and "Do you know who my dad is?"
>The tac-team has them stunned, cuffed, and out of the bar in under 10 minutes.
>Sound the "All clear" about hour after we clean the blood and spilled drinks off the floor.
>Panza and his crew come out of the basement. toss me a cred stick with my fee, and extra for the door and Lonnie's face on it, and take off.
>Insurance is going to cover them anyway
>Between my fee, the drinks, tips, and a creatively written insurance claim, me and the staff have made a killing. Even with a bonus for Lonnie.

"A Runner themed bar will never work" they said.
>>
>>44204458
>Lonestar too stupid to check the basement
>>
>>44204593
To be fair, it has happened in real life, police officers not checking a basement, or at least not toroughly, and missing a couple of important things.
>>
>>44204458
http://waifubartending.com/
>>
>>44204593
>>44204651
I was going to put in something about how the Lone Star would be too busy (not to mention happy about meeting some arbitrary quota) collaring thirty-odd suspected Shadow Runners to notice the false wall behind all the beer kegs, but I ran out of space.

I also wanted to add a thing about how all the kids would be back next week because getting arrested would totally boost their street cred. Hell, they'd probably even bring new friends just so they could have the bartender tell them it was all true.
>>
What's your loadout, /srg/? What kinds of different ammunition do you take for your guns, and how many magazines' worth of each?

I just watched a video about special riot ammunition from the 1920s for the Thompson SMG, which fires little balls of shot from a paper cartridge. The rounds required a special magazine because they were too long to fit in a standard Thompson mag.
>>
>>44204907
APDS always
one mag of explosive rounds for pyrotechnics
3 bullets worth of tracker chip round
>>
>>44199582
source? that dog is 2cute
>>
>>44205039
Its a machine not a dog
>>
>>44205058
just answer the fucking question
>>
>>44205103
A reverse image search leads me to believe that it's from FLCL, friend.
>>
>>44205113
Weeaboo knowsofts lead me to believe you are correct.
>>
>>44204907
Gel rounds by default, 1-2 mags/speedloaders of APDS just in case.

If SHTF is expected, tracer rounds for suppressive fire, more APDS, even more APDS, one mag/speedloader of trackers.
>>
>>44202852
Anthony's
Barracuda Bar and Grill
XPresion
Gay Homosexual
>>
>>44202852
Kebechet
goddess, a deification of embalming liquid. Her name means cooling water.

It's a great name for a bar AND you're goth at the SAME TIME
>>
File: frankly.jpg (73 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
frankly.jpg
73 KB, 500x368
>>44204907
frankly
>>
>>44205121
>knowsofts
Be honest with yourself, Omae.
>>
>>44205416
It's just the chips, honestly desu
>>
>>44204907

Whatever bullets I take, always thermal smoke, flashbangs, and narcojet grenades in addition. Beyond that, 4 regular, 2 gel, 1 SnS, 1 APDS. Ex gets expensive.
>>
>>44205154
Is there a difference between APDS and AP ammo?
>>
>>44205568
APDS is the actual name
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour-piercing_discarding_sabot
>>
>>44205599
I know what APDS is, I was just wondering if there was an actual AP ammo, and then APDS ammo.

APFSDS for snipers when? :^)
>>
>>44205568

APDS is a needle shaped projectile that is stabilised by "sabots" so it doesn't tumble over when fired.
AP is a bullet that has a hardened outer layer so it doesn't deform when it hits armour
>>
>>44205410
I'm deeply envious of Ian, it looks like he loves his job.
>>
>>44205635
>Get APDS
>Add fins to the projectiles
>That's pretty much it
>>
File: Simo_hayha_honorary_rifle_787.jpg (16 KB, 243x350) Image search: [Google]
Simo_hayha_honorary_rifle_787.jpg
16 KB, 243x350
>>44205635
I wonder if it's possible to channel spirits while sniping, to make all my bullets Finn stabilized.
>>
So, can anyone explain all the different music genres that shadowrun now has? Has there ever been any actual writing on any of that?
>>
>>44205883
Try Shadowbeat

Basically there's everything we have now and more, all turned up to 11.
>>
>>44205644
Nah, bro', the "sabot" refers to the outer shell that gets discarded. It's the fins that stabilize the projectile.
>>
>>44205883
The thing with art is, whatever you can imagine is a thing. By definition.
>>
>>44205883
There's been some, but the good writing for it was written before half of today's genres were born and the Catalyst writing is sparse.

>>44205928
you only even need fins if you're firing a really narrow projectile, like in tank-fired APFSDS, not like the 7.62 APDS that has a much smaller sabot and still spins right and proper
>>
>>44205928
There's a difference between APDS and APFSDS "bro"
>>
>>44205938
In both case, the "sabot" refers to the same thing, and has nothing to do with stabilization of the projectile.
>>
>>44200266
Fear not. In the city of Neo-Windsor, Ontario, Pizza is still revered, as it always has been.
>>
>>44204240
Mo-e. Make it a maid cafe.
>>
File: not finished.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
not finished.pdf
1 B, 486x500
How's this looking for a rather generic street sam?

Obviously not complete, I got about 30 karma and some more money up my sleeve to plug the gaps. Get some ammo, balance in a few qualities etc.
>>
>>44206054
>it's called Moe's because ironic misspellings and engrish are popular with Japan enthusiasts
>>
>>44206332

I'd recommend taking a specialization for your most commonly used firearm skill, in this case probably Automatics(Assault Rifles). It's an easy +2 dice, even if it does require breaking the skill group.

Looks pretty solid to me otherwise. Well-rounded, which is nice. I'd recommend grabbing the Agile Defender quality when you're picking those out, but I don't have much else to suggest.
>>
>>44206332
If you still have the money, go for a full titanium bone lacing (used to be under 12 availability), and add an orthoskin on top of it. Your soak pool is low-ish for a frontline character. Take Agile defender to boost your dodge pool to 18 in case of SHTF.

Unarmed combat is rather wasted, although it will depend on what martial art you're going for. But your base strength is too low to make it a regular attack, even with bone lacing, and you'll need one major upgrade before having enough of an essence hole to install an augmented punching device.

I'd put spare Karma in boosting Etiquette a bit (a dicepool of 3 is risky), a couple of extra ranks in Sneaking and in Pilot Groundcraft (since you went the length to get a control rig) Disguise and First Aid.(that can always come in handy.)
>>
>>44203348
Why do you hate the matrix chummer?
It's so much more fun than just lol kill everything.
>>
>>44203348
Like a cheap version of reality, that's always ready to glitch and start peeling back at the edges. Once the hacking starts, things get chemical.
>>
>>44206460
Yeah, this is a starting character so I thought I might do that as a very first improvement.

>>44206480
Ok, bump up the soak and a couple of those non combat skills. Got the control rig there to make it so he can drive, not just sit around outside combat.
>>
File: tacticool.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
tacticool.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44206731
There. Cleaned it up a bit. Not too embarrassing I think.
Now I'm headed out to watch Star Wars
>>
When will the recent 178 update for Chummer be available for update through the exe itself?
(asking because I have some players in my group who are pants-on-head retarded and/or tech illiterate to the point where it would confuse them to have to redownload it. Lord knows I barely get them to update through the launcher itself)
>>
>>44204398
you golden god you
Stealing this
>>
>>44203344
$8 for a PBR is porbably a good deal in 2075. You know the alcohol in that isn't an industrial byproduct?
>>
>>44205635
You would need a special smoothbore barrel to even fire APFSDS.
>>
>>44207458
Nah, the brits manage to fire APFSDS from their Chally's rifled guns just fine. They need to make a special adaptation to their rounds (don't ask me what exactly, I have no idea), but it can be done.
>>
File: ihasaquestion.jpg (106 KB, 635x668) Image search: [Google]
ihasaquestion.jpg
106 KB, 635x668
I think I fucked up GMing this last time. Are shedim possessing bodies supposed to have Immunity to Normal Weapons in 5e?
>>
>>44207650
Speaking of immunity to normal weapons, what else does have an immunity to normal weapons and what can then damage them?
>>
>>44207707
>>44207650
How about you read the section on Immunity to Normal Weapons in the Core Rulebook first.
>>
>>44206529
The controls aren't nearly precise enough for dodge-the-watchers to be anything but annoying, particularly when the best way to move forward is to plan carefully, only half the time you can't actually see anything because of all of the blocks in front of you. The Blocker IC puzzles are tedious, too.
>>
File: 1348488313563.jpg (101 KB, 600x862) Image search: [Google]
1348488313563.jpg
101 KB, 600x862
Can anyone advise me on building an unarmed Physical Adept in Shadowrung Returns: Hong Kong?

Usually just go with street samurai faces, never played anything magical, and want to do something different.

The only sticking point is that the Adept MC will also need to have like 4 INT and high CHA for dialogue check purposes. Also was thinking of making them a dwarf since I've only played Humans/Elves/Trolls.

Will not having to buy cyberware mean I'm swimming in Nuyen?
>>
>>44207650

I bet you feel really stupid after reading the explanation of how that ability works.
>>
>>44208077

There are a total of two fights you *cannot* avoid and they are easy ones. There might be three, but I know it's not higher than that.
Otherwise it's just a simple task of looking at patrols and clicking where you want to go.
I liked that you could invest a very small amount of points into Matrix stuff and still be good, as opposed to the previous games, where it was mostly "slog through empty corridors and then fight 4 things".
>>
Besides FATE, have any of you guys run Shadowrun in a system that isn't, well, Shadowrun?
>>
Is it possible to have a Corp SIN and a fake SIN at once?
>>
>>44208272

Yes, but there's a chance that the other SIN will be picked up instead of your Fake one.
>>
So, how well does(n't) dual wielding work in SR 5e? And where can I find the rules for it?
>>
File: 1401747312347.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1401747312347.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>44208316
The rules are in the core. Basically you split your dice pool in two, one for each hand (with -2 for your offhand unless your ambidextrous). Usually only good for prime runners with such honking great dice pools that they regularly blow past their limit.
>>
>>44207824
>>44207650

Pg 397, right? I'm looking and it details how it works. However, it's not listed as a power for any of the spirits, and the possession power description in SG doesn't mention it. What am I missing here?
>>
>>44205774
I literally did a spit take when I clicked that spoiler.

10/10 for making my roommate think I am crazy
>>
>>44206000
Is it as much of a shithole as the real Windsor?
>>
>>44208288
Only if something is checking your SIN based on biometric data or facial recognition (which you should get surgically altered ASAP)
>>
File: City 17.jpg (114 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
City 17.jpg
114 KB, 600x849
>>44208464
Well, considering Ares is based out of Detroit, I bet it's better off, at least economically; a satellite community where actual manufacturing is done, safely away from the executives.

It's also probably a bug hive
>>
>>44208376
Don't Shedim inhabit corpses rather than merely possess them?
>>
What would a Force 1 Great Form Plant spirit look like? Are spirit appearences even affected by their force?
>>
I'm doing one on one intro sessions with each player to introduce them to the world and their rules specifically. So far, I've done a night as a bouncer for the troll Sammy, escape from the embassy for the face, and I'm planning on an assassination mission for the stealth-elf. What would be a decent 2-3 hour mini-mission for an ork technomancer in 4e.
>>
>>44208130
>Will not having to buy cyberware mean I'm swimming in Nuyen?
absolutely not, i played a mage and had to buy only spells and clothing and the ocassional weapon and i was scraping the walls for a few nuyen
>>
>>44208333
Thanks.

Another question for the thread: How do you protect your wireless enabled equipment from cyber-attack? My character has a pretty large amount of cybernetics, but I don't want to end up hacked and killing my own teammates. I was thinking an internal router would help, but I'm not sure how that interacts with my smartgun.
>>
>>44209164
You invest in a top of the line comlink and leave your wireless off until you really need it?
>>
>>44209164
Turn off your limbs.

Route everything through a commlink with a high Firewall/your friendly neighbourhood decker.

A router is explicitly compatible with your smartgun and any other wireless resources that don't need outside connections.

>>44209044
Assuming they are already a shadowrunner, they are hired to go to a university and gather intel. No decks allowed inside the research facilities, but a student shows up in a hoodie and crashes in a research cubicle for a few minutes? No one will notice.
>>
>>44208936

There is a sense of power about the spirits which is tied to their Force rating.
A F1 Spirit could be huge and frightening, but it'd look like something from a dream, not particularly vivid or frightening, just sort of there.
As far as I can tell, nowhere does it say how big or small the spirit is, through presumably they're not smaller than a dwarf and not bigger than a Troll, since that's how the Matrix works.
>>
>>44209044

A hacker tournament at the hacker bar! Stun damage stuff only, and some competitions to exploit, edit, and otherwise Internet things.
>>
>>44209240
Except the smartgun does require an external connection.
>>
>>44209302
You can plug a cable to your DNI and plug that into your gun. Everything has a USB slot you can use for wired shots.
>>
>>44209344
Your Smartgun still needs Matrix access to get its dicepool modifier. All an internal router will allow is to eject a mag/change firing modes as a free action rather than a simple action.
>>
>>44209510
Technically you get the +2 accuracy increase, as well as fire around corners, too. And you can fit vision enhancements on it if you want.
>>
>>44209245
It says somewhere normal spirits are metahuman size, and Great Form spirits are giant versions of the normal thing (a walking hurricane/landslide and so-on).
>>
>>44204301
Stealing this idea.
>>
Hey, /tg/.

Work buddies starting up a game of Shadowrun5, never touched it before. Looking at a Technomancer - maybe not the best choice to start, but the other players are largely noobs to RPGs in general, so I'm the best candidate to learn about The Matrix and Resonance.

Anyway - what do you guys use for inspiration, flavor-wise? I'm trying to get my head in the right space, and downloading some of the stuff in the pastebiin now. Cyberpunk stuff is in the right vein, but seems like it's missing something. What other art/media should I look for to get a feel for the setting?
>>
>>44203348
>>44208077
so how would you make the matrix interesting in the HBS games? i liked the direction they were headed in HK's matrix but unfortunately the base of the game is not suitable for the gameplay they wanted, specially since it relies on that godawful pathfinding

i'm doing a UGC right now with some personal touches to the matrix like the fact that i have a matrix boss, a persona/black IC that replicates itself to spread out in various nodes to fuck the player over but i'd like to improve upon it as much as i can

i wanna add at least one place where there's a technomancer involved and it looks like a wicked maze but i can't grasp the concept of post-crash 2.0 matrix or how i would manage the whole thing to accomodate to the gameplay

it looks pretty good but it's boring as fuck
>>
>>44209980
Flavor-wise for the Matrix and Technomancers, or Shadowrun in General?
>>
>>44207020

Chummer's autoupdate is borked, unfortunately. Yekka was using Dropbox to distribute, but pushing an update gets him over his daily download limit so it's no longer reliable.
>>
File: 1301709500091.jpg (369 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1301709500091.jpg
369 KB, 1280x960
>>44210106
I had initially meant Shadowrun in general, but anything is helpful.
>>
>>44210173
Technomancers are like Neo when hes plugged into the Matrix, they can break all of the rules the Matrix has established. Except the Matrix is everywhere and integrated with the meat world.
>>
File: 1397849502430.jpg (80 KB, 452x640) Image search: [Google]
1397849502430.jpg
80 KB, 452x640
>>44210276
Yeah, I've got that bit sorted out.

Like I said before - really just looking for art/movies or even music/fiction that is really SR-ish.

Might pick up a Shadowrun game and play through it a bit, even.
>>
One of my least favourite parts of the Shadowrun setting is the disproportiante amount of important metahumans compared to the actual metahuman population. Elves make up .6% of the population, but make up countless amounts of important characters and make it so that they're more prevalent in character creation than Orks, which are supposed to make up 17%.
>>
>>44207458
>>44207539
Ball bearings on the sabot's to cause them to not spin.
>>
Why are there desktop computers in shadowrun if everyone can do everything off a commlink?
>>
File: die_by_sanchiko-d3a03co.jpg (81 KB, 900x554) Image search: [Google]
die_by_sanchiko-d3a03co.jpg
81 KB, 900x554
>>44203272
A+
>>
We just had an AI join our group. Good, bad, or ugly?
>>
>>44211748
why are there desktop computers in real life when nowadays you can do everything off a laptop?

why are there books in real life when you can read everything off a kindle?
>>
>>44211782
Oh dear, you're in deep shit now...
>>
>>44211813
That's what I thought. How do I salvage this situation?
>>
>>44211748
Because the commlink being a universal smartphone is semi-new seeing as smartphones didn't exist back when the setting was originally made, but in-setting a good reason is because by networking desktop computer systems and allowing your workers to only use them during work hours you can create a closed system that's harder to access by outside intrusions.
>>
>>44211782
Don't let it anywhere near the party van.
>>
>>44211832
You could talk with the player if you are one, and it sounds like you aren't the GM.
Honestly I find it fairly amusing that you think you have ANY ability to control or "salvage" what this other player might do since I'm guessing you aren't going to physically force him to not play an AI and beyond that you're pretty much relying on him being charitable and listening to you.
>>
>>44211832
Well, first thing first, you'll need two things: a portable device (comlink or deck) that can serve as the AI's home, and a Faraday-caged bug-out vehicle always ready to go.

If GOD ever arrives on scene, run for it. and remember, if everything else fails, handing over the AI is always an option.
>>
>>44211911
I know it's probably hopeless from the get-go, and I am indeed a player, but I prefer to approach the situation with some optimism rather than giving up my character as screwed because another player decided to paint a big ol' target on our collective back.

I was thinking along the lines of limiting it to a single device that isn't connected to the Matrix by anything other than a hardline.

>>44211935
The player says since the AI was designed by a corp, it is outside of GOD's jurisdiction. I'm sort of new to SR, so I'm not sure about the truth value of that statement.
>>
>>44211966
>The player says since the AI was designed by a corp, it is outside of GOD's jurisdiction. I'm sort of new to SR, so I'm not sure about the truth value of that statement.
Attempting to push the needle below 0%.

GOD's jurisdiction is the various grids of the matrix, and while it's possible that the setting has been faffed with enough that a corp could create an AI, it's not really something done on purpose at this point.
>>
>>44211966
He's wrong. EVERYTHING Matrix-related is under the jurisdiction of GOD. They merely extend the courtesy to Host admins and local spiders to deal with the crap inside their Host the way they want.

The moment the AI is out of a Host, it's free game! And GOD really doesn't like pesky little AI's, even less than annoying little meatbag deckers and technomancers.
>>
>>44212044
>>44212061

I guess the situation is now, how do I approach the GM, who should have known this information? How do I mitigate this potential disaster without destroying the group? This player was brought in by a player whose character is one of our few frontliners, in a sea of faces.
>>
>>44211935
As an AI player, I'd sooner keep my shit on a drone or commlink / cyberdeck form factored into a drone. Leaving it up to you to carry around sounds sketchy as fuck.
>>
Is there a way to random roll a Shadowrun's stats and special abilities?
>>
>>44211748
High device rating terminals are cheaper than comlinks with the same device rating?

E.g. compare a gaming laptop to a pc with the same specs.
>>
>>44209245
The size restrictions are something that was forced on the Matrix in the new revamp to make Hosts work for everyone. It's rules laid down by GOD, not actual limits.

I've seen spirits of all shapes and sizes (I think watchers and homunculi are explicitly smaller than dwarves), up to giant fiery serpents.
>>
>>44212133
You'll need a meatbag handler to help you keep your 'home' out of trouble whenever you realign ("sleep") or worse, get disrupted ("heal").

Trusting a drone's autosofts to do that is... risky.
>>
>>44212183

I was referencing it as a design decision on the part of the devs.
I'm sure that somewhere, in that lovecraftian amalgamation they call a core rulebook exists something telling us about the size of Spirits. But I don't want to risk falling into a corner, so I'm guessing.
>>
>>44210148

mh

I'm getting stupid errors when trying to select a lifestyle that isn't advanced, as well.
>>
>>44212229
No worse than any other PC sleeping, if you have a second lifestyle. Better, if you're smart enough to "sleep" somewhere both secure and inconspicuous.
>>
File: Police Brutality.png (699 KB, 852x643) Image search: [Google]
Police Brutality.png
699 KB, 852x643
>>44210836
That's part of elves, though; they're naturally charismatic and personable, and they live a long time, so they rise to the top sooner or later in a lot of industries. This is especially true for media, where the large numbers of sexy elf movie stars in glamorous roles reinforces the cultural stereotype that elves belong on top. Meanwhile, the hardworking trolls and orcs who make up the backbone of society are unfairly prejudiced against, oppressed by media relations and encouraged to belief they are no better than minimum-wage work away from customers and lives of crime. It's all part of the elven plot to take over society from the inside. Just look at the Tirs; Elves start small, ask for some concessions, and pretty soon they're kicking down doors, declaring that everything belongs to them now and are willing to kill to make that true. They are a poison upon society, smiling to our faces and readying knives for our backs.

I played an orc rights activist who would make these arguments all the time to anyone who would listen.
>>
>>44212238
>Great form spirits are well named, as they are larger than regular spirits in essentially every conceivable way. If you conjure a spirit of water and have it literally rain down on the opposition, then the best your spirit can do is give your obstacles their own personal rain cloud. Now, if you took your rain-cloud spirit and swapped it with a great form spirit, then you could order up a supercell storm—one of those storm fronts so dark, black, and massive that it feels like the world is coming to an end when it slowly rolls overhead.

This is from SG. I think it's enough to say spirit size isn't completely up to the PC.
>>
File: 1375849666243.png (323 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1375849666243.png
323 KB, 600x400
>>44212156
What?

If you want to randomly generate a shadowrun (i.e. the mission the player characters go on), there are tables in the back of the core book.

If you want to randomly roll a shadowrunner (i.e. a player character), there is none and you should be slapped if you try. Random rolls in SR work about as well as randomly rolling in 3.5 D&D (i.e. not at all, and used only by nostalgia-blind grognards and idiots who don't understand the system).
>>
File: arclight2.jpg (218 KB, 600x1037) Image search: [Google]
arclight2.jpg
218 KB, 600x1037
>>44210836
Orks have a hard time surviving for half a century, and spend most of their lives getting in trouble with the po-po and being oppressed by the man. Their main role for minmaxers is street sammy, but it's already been established that you don't live in the shadows for too long if you are anything other than the generic discreet black trenchcoat operator with an AR and a ballistic mask #1,216,999,999, which doesn't give too many options for character development (as any semblance of a personality is bonus dice for memory tests against you). They don't even work too well as unconventional joke characters, since you have trolls for your super original idea of a low-Cha Face. About the only things they have going for themselves fluff-wise are Ork Rock, though unfortunately rock fell out of fashion sometime around when Shadowrun was conceived, and the semen demons that ork girls are often portrayed as. I feel like the latter are the only reasons why orks and dwarves still even exist.
>>
>>44212422
Is that...Japanese Shadowrun?
>>
>>44212453
I think it's the japanese translation of it yeah.
>>
>>44212422
Can you post more of this? It's hilarious.
>>
File: SRJP_replay2.jpg (1 MB, 800x1282) Image search: [Google]
SRJP_replay2.jpg
1 MB, 800x1282
>>44212549
>>44212453
You don't even know, omae.
>>
File: SRJP_replay3.jpg (1 MB, 800x1293) Image search: [Google]
SRJP_replay3.jpg
1 MB, 800x1293
>>44212562
You can find a lot more like this if you look.
>>
File: 1262739809692.jpg (126 KB, 600x558) Image search: [Google]
1262739809692.jpg
126 KB, 600x558
>>44212453
>>44212549
Shadowrun got the Wizardry treatment in Japan. Too bad it didn't catch on.
>>
>>44212422
>>44212562
>>44212582
Why are ork girls such qts? They're prettier than most elf girls.
>>
>>44212829
I remember seeing a picture of an ork decker that could make you rethink that statement in one of the 5e sourcebooks, but for the life of mine I can't find it anymore.
>>
File: 152334.jpg (283 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
152334.jpg
283 KB, 1600x1200
>>44204458
>Tables are packed with fresh-faced kids drinking ¥20 cocktails and answering to drek like "Razor", "Whiplash", and "Nightshade"
>answering to drek like "Nightshade"

A single, lonesome sob escapes my last character's lips.
>>
>>44212829

Because they're physically strong and tall women. Nerds are all over that.
>>
>>44212851
I know the one you're talking about. Most drawings of lady orcs give them dainty little tusks, and don't reshape the jaw or face at all. They're humans wearing costume fangs.
>>
>>44212829
Because metatype reduction is a thing.
>>
>>44212957
Eh, still not even that bad. Needs a better haircut, though-- or a better artist. Also pants that won't make her fall over constantly. What the hell is that thing between her knees?
>>
>>44213028
I believe it's supposed to be part of a security harness...
>>
>>44205774
Markus, nyt vittu.
>>
>>44213048
Worst security harness ever, then, but it makes sense that that's what it would be.
>>
>>44213114
I figured it was some kind of suspender-type thing unhooked and hanging down. A fashion statement attached to the belt, not to the leg parts.
>>
>>44212770
Wizardry Treatment?
>>
>>44213166
Suspenders don't work like that, but it could theoretically attach to the belt. It *looks* like it attaches to those bands around her thighs, though. That would certainly make more sense as far as a working harness is concerned-- it would need additional straps around the waist, and also for the ring to hang in the front, however.
>>
>>44213257
Got ported to Japan and got anime all over it.
>>
File: 38416.jpg (63 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
38416.jpg
63 KB, 640x640
>>44213257
An american computer game series, Wizardry, got turned into something entirely different when it hit Japan and became a surprise success there.

Though it got popular on its own merits and didn't get injected with anime until after its original creators ceased to exist. And we owe it to Japan that the videogame analog of Tomb of Horrors received an amazing graphical remake on a home console.
>>
>>44212119
So, uh, he's saying that GOD would actually hunt us down if we turned it back into the corp that designed it, because the AI is "off limits". Disregard and sell it if the player doesn't repair the concept, yes?
>>
File: 1438566081136.jpg (88 KB, 492x705) Image search: [Google]
1438566081136.jpg
88 KB, 492x705
>>44213942
Then clearly the GM and the player have worked out something, and he doesn't want you killing off a PC because you're paranoid. Relax, look at some pictures of cute trolls, and let the GM do his thing.
>>
>>44214010
It has two personalities, one of which is comparable to GLADOS, the other being a little girl, and is named T.S.U.N.D.E.R.E. I'll put it on the GM's radar, and trust him to take care of it from there. Thanks for the cute troll though, omae. Appreciate it.
>>
>>44214096

Oh, sweet Vishnu.
Well, on the bright side, if you prepare a bug out kit and vehicle your character ought to survive.
>>
Hey srg has there been any books after chrome flesh?
I know that rigger book is coming.
>>
Do you use dice roller apps, or do you actually roll 3 pounds of d6s?
>>
File: All You Need Is Imagination.jpg (384 KB, 550x600) Image search: [Google]
All You Need Is Imagination.jpg
384 KB, 550x600
>>44214642
Half the fun of Shadowrun is taking a great big mitt of d6s and spreading them across half the table. Dice rollers are faster, but you can't put a price on fun.
>>
File: popbreakdown.png (83 KB, 251x220) Image search: [Google]
popbreakdown.png
83 KB, 251x220
>>44210836
Your percentages are way off.
>>
>>44214642

I let my players roll if it's <14 dice or less.
Extended tests, or more dice than 14 gets a dice roller.
>>
>>44214703

He probably means Seattle. It's got something like a 6% Elf population.
>>
>>44213942
>Disregard and sell it if the player doesn't repair the concept, yes?
Depends how much you want the shadow community notoriety of selling a team mate.
>>
If I'm not a melee character, how much can I dump strength?
>>
>>44214902
Low.
Get yourself a Monowhip.
Everything will be fine.
>>
>>44214902

Your STR shouldn't be under 2. Not because you need it or anything, but because 3 is average. 2 Makes you weedy and out of shape.
1 is close to having a disability.
>>
File: wew lad.jpg (58 KB, 536x715) Image search: [Google]
wew lad.jpg
58 KB, 536x715
>>44214956
that ain't how stats work in shadowrun, omae

1 in stats means you're no better than the average person in the sixth world regarding the stat in question
>>
>>44215010
uh, no
1 is feeble, 2 is underdeveloped, 3 is average
>>
File: お前.png (88 KB, 388x248) Image search: [Google]
お前.png
88 KB, 388x248
>>44215010
It's been just this way for ages, drekhead.
>>
>>44215010

I just looked it up, even the Professional Rating 0 Grunts, described as "knuckle dragging, mouth breathing Neanderthals" have a Logic and Charisma of 2, with 3 in other stats and 4 in Agility.
>>
>>44215124
>>44215133
what editions?
>>
>>44214956
>>44215010
>>44215043
1 is fairly low, but you need to be playing with a particular type of group for it to be "close to having a disability".

It does essentially mean you need skill training, situational bonuses, or gear to succeed in related tests, though.
>>
>>44215133
Separation of fluff and crunch, omae. Guess what Catalyst has never been good at.
The thing is, stats stayed at the same benchmarks since FASA, but Catalyst started power creep when they flooded the game with more magic, more metatypes, more splats and more magical natives. To keep any form of challenge without making it obvious that they were tearing open the corpse of Shadowrun and shitting into it, they had to crank up the stats of average goons even if it doesn't make a whit of sense.
As expected of a game studio whose primary priority seems to be how many special-snowflake metatypes they can cram in while completely eroding the mood, setting and themes of actual Shadowrun.
>>44215142
The one that matters.
>>
>>44214902
I've got maxed-out strength on my Street Sam, even though she's a gunbunny with melee damage as a distant second priority. The first reason I do this is because high strength means high carry capacity, which is important if you like heavy weapons (which I do). It allows you to carry the gun, the ammo it provides, and even a backup weapon or two.

The second reason is because high strength values provide extra recoil compensation. In the 4e rules, it is impossible to completely nullify the recoil of a minigun with accessories alone. There simply aren't enough slots. So you need high strength in order to keep your shots on target; because miniguns are heavy weapons, their uncompensated recoil is doubled. I don't know if this is still the case in 5e, but I imagine it's fairly similar.

You can certainly get away with mid-to-low strength if you're a ranged combatant and you're not into heavy weapons, but high strength does have a niche it fills.
>>
>>44215195
>Separation of fluff and crunch, omae. Guess what Catalyst has never been good at.

Both of them?
>>
>>44215231
All three. Fluff, crunch and separating the two. Though I guess the first two makes the last one better - hard to ruin what's already shit.
>>
>>44215142
Literally all of them.
>>
>>44215195

The fluff doesn't have stats. Hell, the statement makes no sense. Your average runners aren't better than the average person in all things.

Mechanically, in 5e, the threshold for an Average job is 2.
This means you'd need to have 5 ranks in a skill to be able to do an average job if your stat is 1.
Hell, if you've got STR 1 you can lift 15 kg and carry 10.
I literally sit in bed all day and can do better than that easily.
>>
>>44215195
The Catalyst editions are ones you have to treat like D&D 3.x/PF. The core rulebooks are serviceable, but you need to limit how many sourcebooks you allow or else power creep will do you in. It also shares players with those games.
>>
>>44215299
>Your average runners aren't better than the average person in all things.

Your average runners are idiot-savants who are absolutely amazing in one particular field but have to default on everything else.
>>
>>44215349

Allow me to correct myself then.
"The average runner..."
And then to point out that *your* runners might be this, but I find it to be a distasteful practice and look down on you for deciding to engage in it so regularly it seems the default.
>>
>>44215372
It's not just me, it seems to be an attitude endemic to many Shadowrun players. And it's not hard to see why; character generation encourages minmaxing.
>>
>>44215299
Split hairs if you will - I can see where the problem of definition lies, but it's still clear to see what I mean, and nitpicking it isn't going to change anything.
Twist it how you will, the facts are that Catalyst has introduced absurd power creep and special-snowflake metatypes enough to drown a troll in. The original cyberpunk-focused game with an interesting noir-Gibsonian vibe with the added touch of fantasy and magic to give a sense of mystery, change and the unknowable has been drowned in an infinite flood of ever-increasing metatypes, wanky gear, special splats (Technomancers - I admit Otaku were a mistake, but at least they weren't core) and a complete dissolution of the core themes (through the wireless Matrix, magic inflation both in fluff and crunch, gimping of cybernetics and the resultant complete dissolution of anything even remotely resembling balance).
It's really sad what Shadowrun has become. By now, the charm and detail of the original setting has become a playground for the kind of people who play nWoD to play free spirits, drakes and pixies in a universe that's completely lost its grip on what it used to be, and all because of a ame company that has no sense of scope, no idea of narrative and no respect for the intellectual property that they were lucky enough to be given creative control over.
>>
>>44215349
>>44215433
/srg/ has a specific culture when it comes to PC strength. I'd take any advice or examples given here with a pinch of salt.
>>
>>44215433
imo chargen simply doesn't STOP minmaxing, and bad players take that to mean they NEED to minmax, and then I have to hit them with newspapers until they know the error of their ways.
>>
>>44215433
It's really because GMs let people skate on it by hand waving memory, lift/carry, judge intentions, etc tests.
>>
>>44215466
I'd recommend for example an old Monstrous Manual. Those things have got got grip and heft, great for reprimanding players about the head and neck with if they start getting neo-roleplayer on you.
>>
>>44215489
I've got one coming in the mail that should do the trick, I'll have to test it for myself.
>>
>>44215444

I'm not being facetious, or derisive.
I literally don't know what you're talking about.
What changes they brought to the setting were needed to update it.
It's still punk, it's still about a futuristic dystopian world.
The setting progressed. It's the nature of living works.
You don't have to like it.
By all means, play the editions you do. Or customize and run your game so it feels comfortable to you.

The game, though? It's just changed to reflect the times.
>>
>>44215553
Honestly, Shadowrun changed in more ways than that. SURGE was never something needed to "update" the game, the move towards offering everything as a player-character option wasn't either. Bringing the Matrix away from Cyberspace? Maybe, but fucking 2e's Matrix system is still more sensible and less gaudily retro than 4e's "Everything in the future will be a cellphone and there'll be no cords anywhere!" paradigm.
>>
>>44215466
The need to optimize is a gameplay issue, not a chargen issue. You need those 18 dice in sneaking because the penalty for failure is so high. Sure they count as a professional infiltrator at 12 dice, but that only gives then better-than-average odds to succeed against standard fare security guards, which isn't good enough when the penalty for failure is death/mission failure. Being extremely skilled at something increases what you're capable of at your best, but the real value is shrinking the failure state on the medium difficulty tasks you need to perform regularly.
>>
>>44215624
Well, that's where Shadowrun requires modifiers to make the slightest bit of fucking sense. Average guards versus a -1 penalty for distance and a -2 for having a wall in between, that's a fairly routine test (Depending, I suppose, on your definition of "average", and edition, and whether you trust book mooks, which is either logical or not depending on edition). If you're actually sneaking with no penalties on the perceiver, I feel like the situation is already one that should deserve Edge.
>>
>>44215553
>needed
A work is a product of its times. Changing a work to reflect the times isn't a natural act and is mostly nearly impossible due to the large amount of themes that need to be changed, especially when it's games like the oWoD or Shadowrun that are most definitely a product of the age in which they were written. That's why the nWoD is a shallow, angsty mess of Stephen King ripoffs, Cthulhu Lite and The Vampire Diaries that manages "horror" solely through the pretentious belief of the players that they're supposed to be scared because the game is "deep" and quotes Twilight with a straight face. That's why 4th and 5th ed Shadowrun have almost completely lost the elements that made the previous editions /cyber/punk, because it focuses too hard on being "relevant". The wireless Matrix not only tossed the decker role into complete chaos and raised many more issues than it solved (hacking cyberware being a be-all end-all), but it also removed a key chunk of the cyberpunk theme of "how much are you willing to cut out of yourself for power", as it no longer requires a physical datajack and thus removes an important partial theme as well as a key visual element of cyberpunk. In turn, this shunted the priority over on magic, which could have been handled well if it hadn't suddenly ditched all the punk elements for "magical natives, fairies and free spirits".
It's not "the nature of living works". A work is a product of its time, and letting a good work rest is a sign of respect. "Fixing" something that isn't broke just because it has to be "cool and modern" is a failsafe way to mangle a lot of key themes as well as piss on the original creators, their hard work and their intents from a great height.
>>
>>44215712
They could have rejiggered Shadowrun to make it more derivative of modern cyberpunk than classic cyberpunk. But then again, they didn't.
>>
>>44215712

You realize that they're still releasing SR books, right?
That they're not retconing the setting?
That's what "living work" means.
All the old stuff is still out there. There's a timeline. The fluff changed.
The oppressive nature of the world now has constant surveillance it's cornerstone.
Honestly, you seem mostly upset that it's going for the new age approach to magic, which, you know, it's always had.
Are you just angry that there's SURGE and pixies and people can play weird things?
>>
>>44215810
Well, I'm the other oldSR nerd, but there's a pretty distinct difference between the new-age magic in the old books and the new-age magic in the new ones.
but the bigger issue there is that they forgot to make magic dangerous to the caster in 4e and 5e.
>>
>>44215735
Instead, it's not even derivative of cyberpunk at all.
If they wanted "modernity", all they needed to do was put down Mona Lisa Overdrive and pick up Idoru. That's post-cyberpunk done pretty well, and it's still Gibson at that.
It's not an issue of decisions as much as it's an issue of respect and understanding. Catalyst neither respect nor comprehend what Shadowrun was intended to be by the original creators, and it's an insult towards the people who worked hard on the game for years and years to see it mangled into a parody of a game that reads like what a 12-year-old boy who's just discovered the combination of CoD, porn and energy drink would think of when hearing "cyberpunk with fantasy elements". It's almost before I think that half of CGL had to look up "cyberpunk" on Wikipedia before working on it (or even halfway through).
>>44215810
I could care less if they're trying to please the old guard by symbolically not officially retconning the setting. By your standards, AoS didn't ruin Warhammer because GW didn't go out and burn old Warhammer books. The fluff is kept in the archives, sure, but it's not being properly used, and most importantly of all, CGL is still disrespecting the original work by shitting all over its themes and intents (and it makes it even worse that they don't even have the decency to split off the setting completely, but have to shit all over other people's hard work when they could choose not to).
I'm not mad that 4e and 5e have the new-agey magic that 3e has. I'm mad that it's gone too far. Magic is now everything that matters about the universe - even the Matrix feeds back into it, magical snowflake races flood the world and magic is becoming more and more of a game-breaking be-all end-all that's even tying into the SJW target group (because of magical natives).
I'm angry that people can play metatypes because they're an example of an unhealthy trend in RPGs that glorifies uniqueness and specialness over actual character.
>>
>>44215887
Yeah. Eclipse Phase is modern and cyberpunk-derived. And based on Shadowrun, yet it kept the tone better. Somehow, I fail to buy the argument that the way the setting evolved is just a symptom of modernization-- It's obvious that Catalyst has its issues with herding writers. Maybe if they paid them. Or stopped publishing unfinished books because "muh gencon". The people at the top are obviously used to making shit like The Vikings(tm) TV Show Official Board Game, not carrying on franchises with a long history and a coherent tone.
>>
>>44215810
>>44215887
And lemme elaborate on the last part.
The metatypes and special-snowflakery are part of a trend in modern gaming that attempts to appeal to neo-roleplayers who want to play what they've seen in movies, games and pop-cultural depictions of roleplaying games, and who have no interest in actually building a character. It caters to and enables people who don't understand and don't want to understand the need to put actual effort into how a character acts, thinks and talks - the things that make an actual living, memorable character - and instead just want to play something "cool".
The thing is, those players have always been there. They just haven't been a problem, because the community was there to teach them how to build a character and play them properly without trying to compensate for actual characterization with setting-violating uniqueness. Nowadays, though, the "geek culture" boom in the mainstream has bred a whole generation of neo-roleplayers who have overly pampered expectations of what roleplaying is supposed to be and how much effort they're expected to put into it. While before, most of these people would have been shunted out of a group for some thinking time and have had to figure out how to play roleplaying games in a way that isn't parasitic to other people at the table, now they can just create a group of their own. The worst thing is that companies like CGL and OPP cater to these people halfway in the name of quick profit and halfway because they're full of the self-same type of people, and they're oblivious to the festering, pampered mess they're turning the community into.
>>
>>44215887

That's an absurd argument to make, though. People won't suddenly mature and develop well thought out characters if you restrict their aesthetic choice.
The game is supposed to be about outsiders. People who don't fit in. There's nothing clashing there.
Yes, bad roleplayers will inevitably pick something that looks or sounds cool to them and never really go beyond some gimmick. But if not races, then a style of dress, or subculture, or gadget.
As for magic being more important, well, I suppose. Though, you know, the Sixth World and all, the Awakening of magic, etc, seems like magic should be important, and more so as time advances. The end goal was, originally, to have Horrors show up and ruin everything.

Hell, if you read Gibson's latest trilogy (Pattern Recognition, Spook Country and Zero History) it feels a lot like SR 5e. Hell, there's this bit in Spook Country (I'm currently reading Zero History) were it feels like he's describing and Adept. Internet stuff feels like Prot-Wireless Matrix.
>>
>>44215975

Damn, didn't see this.

> they're oblivious to the festering, pampered mess they're turning the community into.

Honestly, it feels like you've got problems.
Look, the "community" isn't some tight knit brotherhood of secretly great improv actors.
It's anybody who wants to roll dice according to the instructions in some book with whatever amount of fluff everyone feels like using.
The pool of players is expanding to allow for casual players who don't care enough to learn more than one system, or know much about a setting.
The people who are prone to caring about this will continue to care and play more intensively.
If you can't enjoy any other type of game than what you're used to, then you're the one with expectations who wants to be pampered.

I'm tired of reading about "normies" destroying "our community" or our hobbies, as if it's some terrible invasion instead of simple expansion.
>>
>>44215975
I'd say the worst offenders haven't been geek-chic posers, but instead turbonerds who tend to get too caught up in the whole two-second elevator pitch of their character, and of course the optimization. I think /tg/ has a pretty invasive culture of these people, because of the 'storytime' thing making (a certain class of) people think they need to be the Epic Hero and the center of attention at their gaming table, and internet roleplayers in general having a really big culture around character optimization.

>>44216026
>The game is supposed to be about outsiders.
It was already about outsiders, but they felt the need to make an outside-er group of outsiders for many of the same reasons you can blame for sourcebook power bloat. SURGE never really had any flavor, it was just a toolkit for specialness. Shadowrun's races were all written pretty extensively, but with SURGE, it was all just token aesthetics like slapping elf ears and horns on things. Which, they could have just as easily done the aesthetics thing with cyberware, and then it'd be a voluntary choice that suggests something about the character who has it. Maybe they were trying to bring back some of the oppression themes they'd started to lose a hold of in 3e, but they could have done that with a plot event, like a race riot or something to remind people that race is a big deal. I don't think SURGE, or later, vampire PCs, or metasapients, or etc. ever really added anything to the game, it was just visual stimulation in a setting which already had it.

With wireless, though-- Wireless has always been in the setting, it's just that 4e apparently didn't know that, or they thought it wasn't enough of a fundamental part of the architecture.
>>
>>44216026
Pattern Recognition and Spook Country were weird and great. I didn't realise they were meant to be linked, though. I admit, I read Spook Country first and a good couple of years before Pattern Recognition -- is there any continuity between them? I can't remember any, but that obviously doesn't mean much.
>>
>>44216196

Bigend is the connecting factor between Pattern Recognition and Spook Country. If there were any other links I didn't notice them.
Spook Country and Zero History share at least two protagonists.
>>
>>44216236
Neat. I'll have to find Zero History, now.

Actually, just typing that brought a half-formed recollection to mind. I turned my head left and there it was on my to-read shelf in a pile of second hand bargain books I bought like six months ago. Guess I know which of them I'm going to dig into first.
>>
>>44203230
>The Rusty Nail
I had many a night in college spent there, watching Planet of Fun play covers.
Good times.
>>
>>44207404
4th edition Parabotany, page 43.

"Most “real” beers are made by microbreweries. Keeping things local and eliminating
costs of shipping and importing ingredients makes beer relatively affordable to
the common man. Prices can vary from 5¥ to 15¥ a bottle depending on the quality.
There are some corporate breweries producing alternatives to synthohol, but their
prices are two to three times that of a microbrew. The tradeoff is that these corporate
products have a greater distribution."
>>
>>44215444
It's like you hate the game.
>>
File: 1450041804172.gif (873 KB, 346x360) Image search: [Google]
1450041804172.gif
873 KB, 346x360
Oh, heh, sorry guys; I thought I was on /v/ for a second. It's almost as for a moment, we were talking about why the game was shit, and not actually playing it, and nothing else.

WEW LAD.
>>
>>44215712
Sir, if you want you could just ignore all of it. Instead of throwing a fit on the Internet that is.
>>
File: tv.jpg (50 KB, 1218x186) Image search: [Google]
tv.jpg
50 KB, 1218x186
>>44217055
Anon's been learning from other boards.
>>
He killed the thread.
>>
File: a7c.gif (1 MB, 257x387) Image search: [Google]
a7c.gif
1 MB, 257x387
>>44214010
More sexy trolls please.

>>44215167
>1 is fairly low, but you need to be playing with a particular type of group for it to be "close to having a disability".

I'm working on a character for Runnerhub, and I think for them 3 is average, 2 is stunted, and 1 is an invalid.
>>
>>44217946
Runnerhub is... iffy. Especially when it comes to power level. But there, they're just going by what the book says, which is the same thing it's always said.
>>
>>44199582
I see the mediafire in the pastebin is missing some books for 3rd and 4th edition. Namely: 10 Mercs, Euro War Antiques, Parazoology 2, Street Legends Supplemental, Storm Front, and the unpublished Shadows of Latin America.

If whoever is managing it wants to add them, let me know how.
>>
File: 1419236177510.jpg (97 KB, 607x862) Image search: [Google]
1419236177510.jpg
97 KB, 607x862
>>44218013
Oh, and The Rotten Apple: Manhattan. That too.

>>44217946
What makes the troll sexy to you?
>>
What do spells like physical barrier use as a point of reference? is it anything the mage can see, or is it fixed to the planet? I ask because, for one, you can have a barrier on a vehicle or VIP for protection, and another CLANG
>>
File: 1421482012040.jpg (188 KB, 561x950) Image search: [Google]
1421482012040.jpg
188 KB, 561x950
>>44217946
>>44218491
>>
>>44218553
I believe barrier spells are always static, they can't be fixed to moving objects. I can't remember an exact reference for it, but it might have been FAQ'd.
>>
>>44218491
Well >>44214010 has a pretty face and a nice healthy body regardless, but I generally find tusks like that kinda cute.

I also like curly horns like >>44218491.

I guess I just like fantasy chicks in general though. Orks, goblins, trolls, demons/succubi, etc.

I actually wrote the character I'm submitting to Runnerhub as having a thing for Ork girls.
>>
>>44212317
A replacement update mechanism's going to come up over Christmas. I've been busy with Fallout 4, getting to play in a PnP game for the first time in like five years and disagreeing with the other guy about fixing the problems with skills, so chummer's been a bit neglected. What's the error you get with lifestyles?
>>44208538
Shedim take over the bodies of anything that doesn't have a soul in it. This includes astrally projecting mages. The thing is, the shedim doesn't actually give a flying fuck what happens to the body it's riding in, save that a sufficiently destroyed one will forcibly eject them from it. In my games I give them ItNW to represent this.
>>
File: qtpi.png (492 KB, 392x964) Image search: [Google]
qtpi.png
492 KB, 392x964
>>44212829
>>44212851
>>44212957
Found her, omaes. Anybody still would?
>>
>>44219289
>he drew it for free
>>
File: 99e.gif (932 KB, 200x147) Image search: [Google]
99e.gif
932 KB, 200x147
>>44219289
That's not a great angle, but I probably would.

Feet are also my fetish.
>>
>>44215940
>Yeah. Eclipse Phase is modern and cyberpunk-derived. And based on Shadowrun, yet it kept the tone better.

Transhuman Space does modern and cyberpunk far better than EP.

EP's a niche game, a near-future kitchen sink intended to provide maximum opportunity for posthuman horror. It isn't a coherent setting, and isn't supposed to be.
>>
>>44219516
Transhuman Space is good too, but EP is a better example because it was originally written as a late Sixth World addition to the SR/Earthdawn universe. It's not so disorganized as you seem to think, IMO.
>>
I play a human, and he's basically a skinhead. Hates magic users, elves, anything that's not a pure blooded human. I even adapted some American History X for him.

"My eyes have seen the glory of the trampling at the zoo,
We washed ourselves in elven blood and all the mongrels too,
We're taking down the Keeb machine two by two by two,
The pure man marches on."
>>
Where's the section in 4e about people getting infected by ghouls? Is it core, or RC?
>>
>>44219598
Lame and Gay. My weeaboo techie thats /R9K/ incarnate is better
>>
>>44214883
Eh, just pretend it's a shard of DEUS, and you'll get applauded.

It's the same as with Technomancers, the less of those freaks there are running around messing the Matrix up, the better.
>>
>>44215444
>"Stop liking what I don't like!", the post.
>>
>>44221071
Now, let's be precise, here. It's "I don't like thing", not "Stop liking what I don't like." If you're don't say what you mean, what you say won't mean anything.
>>
>>44219598
Humanis pls. go!
>>
>>44221025
Who let Clockwork in?
>>
>>44221519
You really want a Crash 3.0?
>>
File: 1411629970527[1].jpg (109 KB, 587x725) Image search: [Google]
1411629970527[1].jpg
109 KB, 587x725
>>44217946
There are qualities for disabilities. Talk with some people over there, and see what kind of replies you get.

A low rated civilian won't be able to do certain things on pure attributes alone, but they're not incapable of attempting those actions - they just need training, gear, teamwork assistance, etc - something situational that makes the action easier.

Invalids would be beyond assisting, and either have large penalties or are unaware in the related skills.

Pic unrelated; pre-reduction troll.
>>
>>44221686
>9'1" feet tall
>264 pounds
That isn't heavily built. That's still heavily in the "spine's going to go like a twig" territory. I also think the devs have no idea how tall 9 feet is.
>>
>>44221686
That information seems a tad outdated.

>Troll 250 cm 335 kg 45-55 years
>>
>>44221686
That troll looks unfortunate. No big as horns, only one arm with decent dermal deposits making him look lopsided and not as well protected from harm. He looks like shit and doesn't get any of the major benefits of his metatype
>>
>>44221756
>>44221759
Yes, ignore the data.

>>44221791
The arms aren't turned to the same facing. There are breaching and subcutaneous dermal deposits everywhere. As for the horns ... funny how they kinda look like Eiger's.
>>
>>44221878
Eiger had shit horns too! But I'm a strong believer in trolls having big ass ram horns vs. a few tiny ones, so I have a bias.
>>
File: Fingerprint_(4045876833).jpg (4 MB, 3046x2612) Image search: [Google]
Fingerprint_(4045876833).jpg
4 MB, 3046x2612
>>44221878
>Yes, ignore the data.
It isn't a matter of data. It says they're densely built, that they're 9 feet tall, and that they weigh 264 lbs which means they're not densely built.

This guy is 8'3" and weighs 302lbs.
>>
>>44221965
>guy is foot and a half taller than me
>Weighs the same

Well if that isn't incentive to eat better and work out, nothing is. That's shameful.
>>
>Joe Mean, professional middle class human.
>Have A rated money at creation (450,000 nY), and use that plus all starting karma to generate the 500,000 nY to purchase a permanent middle class lifestyle
How would you build off this to make a useful character?
>>
>>44221791
Yeah he looks more like he's got elephantiasis and got hit in the face with a shovel. I guess I could see why people would be racist against them.

>>44221686
Not my fetish.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.