[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
THE MAKING OF THE /WIP/ FAQ
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 474x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 474x310
Okay, as to not clog up the /WIP/ I made another.
Here you can add any FAQs (along with their appropriate answers), tips, links, advice and just about anything you can think of someone new to the hobby might need to or want to know. I'll compile it into a GoogleDocs and pass it on so it can go into the OP of future/ WIP/ threads.

My knowledge is limited but I'll compile what I know on this end, and cross reference with what other anons add.
>>
>>44141611
i like the idea but i doubt anyone else does

>always keep sprue as basing material or for practicing highlights
>if a model is off balanced glue a coin to the bottom
>you can build things out of sprue like buildings or metal destroyed bits
>for the love of god never put the paint brush in your mouth
>K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid. get a good pattern down before you start to experiment
i really need to take my own advice on this
>prime, basecoat, wash, highlight is tried and true simple way to paint
>keep a color wheel handy, don't wanna give offerings to slaanesh by painting garnish colors
>steady your hands by putting your wrists together for support
>it's easier to work on lighter colors then darker colors. i suggest priming in white or brown
>watch lots of videos, talk to people, and practice

i hope this helps
>>
>>44141611
A few weeks ago there was an anon or 2 that were posting a FAQ image of sorts, maybe request it or check the archives? Also a link to videos on YouTube that are actually helpful
>>
>>44141611
This is a good idea. I hope this thread is still around tomorrow so I can contribute (it's getting kinda late in NorAm).

I've been thinking a bit about this and what I was planning to do was to compile a list of questions and then find a YouTube video or an article that answers the question.

> How do I use spray primer?
> *link to some YouTube video showing proper technique*

> How do I paint Horus Heresy World Eaters?
> *link to some article that walks through the process*

I think it would be a good opportunity to answer questions well. Instead of just saying 'thin your paints' we can talk about the difference between thinning with water and medium, the effects on metallics, etc.
>>
>>44145064
Adding all these, a few great ones I didn't think of.
>>44145281
Oh yes I remember those, never actually read them as 90% of the time I'm on the phone and those ungodly resolutions make it all but impossible. I'll dig them up and add them to the GoogleDocs
>>44146104
Yup. That's another part to the GoogleDoc I want to add; a literal FAQ
>What does "thin your paints" mean?
>*explanation of thinning paints and its benefits*

>How do I paint white armour?
>*explaination of need for layers, techniques, and links to example videos*

It'll be segregated so might be
>Chapter 1: Tips and hints
>Chapter 2: FAQs
>Chapter 3: painting techniques

Etc etc
>>
>>44141611

This is important stuff OP, it absolutely would not be clogging up the WIP thread if you made a post requesting people post this kind of content.

Your time would be better spent there, sir.
>>
>>44146339
I already linked it in the current /WIP/ thread, hopefully people see it and decide to post their offerings over here.

Feel free to give them another reminder.
>>
>>44145281
Any of these three?
>>
File: 1449225914443.png (604 KB, 800x6096) Image search: [Google]
1449225914443.png
604 KB, 800x6096
>>44146870
>>
File: TG_colortheory.png (2 MB, 600x8729) Image search: [Google]
TG_colortheory.png
2 MB, 600x8729
>>44146879
>>
>>44146879
>>44146887
Those are the ones! Good job anon! Adding them to the GoogleDoc

I believe there were others as well but these will be great additions.
>>
>How to Make a Wet Palette:

1. Find a container with small walls, preferably 1-2 inches tall.
2. Get some paper towel and cut the shape of the paper towel to the size of
the container's flooring.
3. Pour water into the container until the paper towel is soaked through.
4. Get some baking paper (wax paper) and cut a piece out to the shape of the container
(same as the paper towel) then put the baking paper into the container and press it flat.
5. Flip over the baking paper and press it flat once again, this will ensure that there
will be no corners poking up because of the water bending it.
6. Stick some paint on it!
>>
Some of the most common question(which i am guessing you included already)are how to erase paint and how to thin
>>
>>44145064
>>for the love of god never put the paint brush in your mouth
I-I do that all the time. Why is it bad?
>>
>>44148411
I do this too. Not while full of paint of course, but when straightening the bristles. There is usually some paint residue left on it, but meh.

Some people claim that the 'non toxic' label does not involve the paint's ability to cause cancer or some other long term effect. I say that they couldn't sell it to kids if it was that dangerous.

Or it fucks up the bristles or something. Spit isn't water. It contains enzymes used to digest food. Maybe it dissolves the glue in the ferule and fucks shit up. Help me out here. Just specualating
>>
>>44148411
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_Girls

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2010/jun/16/caravaggio-italy-remains-ravenna-art

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/05/17/us/paint-use-is-linked-to-artist-s-cancer.html

https://janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/2010/03/05/emerald-green-or-paris-green-the-deadly-regency-paint/

a lot of these were before the was regulations on material. also i know the natural paint bristles are made from horse, pig or other animal hair. i got a pot of paint that i think has turned, now it smells like nail polish remover but it still works. and it's frankly disgusting.
>>
>>44141611
does anyone have any advice on making dioramas? I'm trying to make a park, but i'm getting kind of stumped on how to go about making a river/stream/pond.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.