[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After 10+ years, new version of Nethack is out! What class are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: nh4tx.gif (2 KB, 261x87) Image search: [Google]
nh4tx.gif
2 KB, 261x87
After 10+ years, new version of Nethack is out! What class are you playing, /tg/?
>>
Healer, because they are the stuff that legends are made of:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/f8CGeQ6guYU/4vrbvcWUqeoJ

"You and the invisible Archon and the guardian Angel of Hermes and Pestilence
went to your reward with ..."
>>
What makes this version better than any of the dozens of forks that get updated all the time?
>>
>>44066496

http://www.nethack.org/v360/release.html

After a 10+ year hiatus, the NetHack DevTeam is happy to announce the release of NetHack 3.6, a combination of the old and the new.
Unlike previous releases, which focused on the general game fixes, this release consists of a series of foundational changes in the team, underlying infrastructure and changes to the approach to game development.

Those of you expecting a huge raft of new features will probably be disappointed. Although we have included a number of new features, the focus of this release was to get the foundation established so that we can build on it going forward.

Here's a synopsis of some of the changes we've made in the past year:

1. Personnel Changes
2. Infrastructural and Procedural Changes
3. Gameplay Changes
4. Other Changes
>>
>nethack

no
>>
>>44066261
Does it still have the outdated UI?
>>
>>44068227
That's an essential part of the game, so yes: naturally
>>
>>44068645

This is the reason why people started flocking to roguelites instead of proper roguelikes - the interface design was abhorrent even for when they original came out. Props to the guy(s) behind TOME though, they've actually made something that was not a chore to play.
>>
>>44066261
holy shit new nethack.
>>44071284
I can handle asci on most roguelikes but I cant fucking stand it in nethack.
>>
>>44071284
>This is the reason why people started flocking to roguelites instead of proper roguelikes

No, the reason is that they're fundamentally different genres with the superficial similarities of "randomly generated" and "is hard." Rougelite is the dumbest fucking name, I swear to God.
>>
>>44066261
>Nethack ever being patched
Haha nice joke, it
>It's true
What the fuck?
Cool.

Time to head over to /rlg/. I wonder if raxvulpine is still an anti-racist fat bitch.
>>
>>44066261
Really ? Neat.

I play wizard. Gotta love that free magic resistance right off the bat
>>
I don't believe it.

Eh, I ascended a Lawful Priest a year ago. Will gladly pick it back up and try a conduct.
>>
I wish there now was an artifact spear, even though I understand that artifacts being mostly swords and mostly bad is a fundamental game mechanic.
>>
>>44066261
Even with this patch, vanilla nh is still a decade behind any of the forks. UnNethack has twice the background, races and hundeds of new ítems, spells and monsters. NH4 has a UI that ia beautiful AND intuitive. And Dynahack has the best of both worlds!

I learnt to play with nitro (yeah I got corrupted saves on the castle and the quest...) but would never go back to vanilla's UI. Seriously, go play Dyna instead.
>>
>TFW used to play Nethack on the school laptops in the High School library all the time with my friends

I got them into it. Good memories.

Okay this was literally less than a year ago about whatever
>>
I'll play NetHack vanilla when they add tiles. I know that makes me a roguelike pleb, but to be honest, I don't even give a shit.

That said, it's cool to see this and I'll be watching to see what happens.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.