[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about the largest city in your setting. What do the residents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 11
File: 1432351442555.jpg (94 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1432351442555.jpg
94 KB, 960x720
Tell me about the largest city in your setting. What do the residents do for fun?
>>
Festivals, mostly. You know, booze, whores, prayer and occasional immigrant bashing. Sometimes you don't even need a festival per se.

Higher classes tend to add reading, sports, tabletop games and intrigue.
>>
>>44042462
Godwin's Rest is a mage tower turned into a city, with a population of just under 3 million, rising in densely packed 1-mile radius plates, stacked on top of each other at about 50 feet apart. The lower levels are homes to the poor, which enjoy free food and health care, but have to pay a daily tax of 1 arcanum (5 gold equivalent), or 4 hours "mental" labor, where their mind's power is harvested to reinforce the city's magical nature. If not 'working', many of the citizens enjoy art shows, live music, plays, operas, and other creative entertainments, and so the lower city has a perpetual-festival feel. The middle levels of the city house most of the talented artisans and magic-crafters that make enough daily that they can actually pay rent on decent places to live, meaning a little bit of open space, and so luxury gardens are also a part of the mid-city enjoyment, as well as formal brothels and entertainment houses. Many of the middle-class citizens also enjoy magical drugs and other non-food recreations. The highest levels of the city are strictly for the upper-crust elite, magical wards preventing entry to anyone without permission or bank account to be there. This is where the mos extreme debauchery happens, entire alternate realities regularly being played out by the social elite. Some of the highest levels are owned by the city's most powerful casters, and as such are host to hunting grounds, exotic gardens, and entire pocket dimensions.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 170x169) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 170x169
biggest city? archive of miranda and its surrounding districts

the citizens do the usual things for intertainment: getting drunk , buying a whore , visiting the theatre or witness the ceremonial slaughter of pagans/traitors or men-against-beast fights in the arena
>>
They sleep in between dakimakuras of their waifus wearing a great helmet and fail to recognize that too many waifus will ruin your laifu. Which led to the great waifu wars of anno moeshitu 762. The city has still not fully recovered from it.
>>
Movies and radio are big hitters, being rather accessible to all species. Pub-life is strong, too.

It has the fortune of not being decimated in war, and lot of the people are descendants of factory-workers. The spectrum of inhabiting species is wide and the city boasts one of the highest human populations (in non-human towns), although more confined to the slums and poor parts.
>>
>>44042462
Well games for one (cardgames and tabletop mostly if low tech), sports, fighting sports, magic sports (if magic exists), drinking at the pub, theater, libraries.... Damn i wish i lived in a fantasy city with no internet. I'd be much more productive.
>>
>>44042462
Getting drunk, visit theaters and other entertaining stuff that could've existed in the eighteenth century. They don't have much free time though.
>>
>>44042462
Biggest city? I guess Mirlania.

They drink, they smoke, they do legal recreational drugs (its kinda based on like Hong Kong) and play football
>>
>>44042462
Tokyo.
I dunno.
They rape little girls and watch weird TV shows and anime, I guess?
>>
File: 1432260592136.jpg (2 MB, 4961x3507) Image search: [Google]
1432260592136.jpg
2 MB, 4961x3507
To change the topic a little, how large should a city's/territory's military be in comparison to its civilian population? Should active military personnel be included into the total population count?
>>
>>44043699
>>44042770
in Godwin's rest, the military is almost entirely made up of Casters and Golems, each of the lower levels has a constable and several higher-functioning golems, and there is are a number of battle-golems in pocket dimensions for tactical insertion. Outside of that, there are only a few non-caster military types used for out-of-tower monster clean up, but even then, they're often accompanied by golems and elementals.
>>
>>44043699
I always feel their should be a professional military, a combination of guards and a kind of warrior class (say knights or Huscarls) and a militia. Thus you have a disciplined force for serious battles and a good quick response force when needed, especially when the militia is supported by the professionals.

So the professional military should be, say, 10 guards to a village with the local lord or whatever as a knight while the militia might total 40% of the population.
>>
In the city of Lannercost they enjoy the latest plays that have sprung up from halfling oral tradition, there's also a great number of dwarvern mead halls and pubs, but of course every citizen is encouraged to join a guild, academy, or the military life and find pleasure in fulfilling their civic duty.
>>
>>44042462

They go down to the Recovery Market and trade vouchers that they get from working for the city in return for luxury items that the scavenging teams bring back from their trips to the outside world. Due to the specific nature of the apocalypse that they lived through, there is a whole world's worth of material goods out there in basically pristine condition. You just need someone to go out and get it for you. The scavenging teams mostly bring back canned food and other resources that the city needs, but every trip they fill up what room they can spare with things like toys or movies or jewelry that they find on the bodies of all of the dead people, so that the living can 'buy' it.

Its a bullshit imitation of a real economy, but its enough to keep the remaining humans buying into the lie that life as they know it isn't totally fucking over. It keeps people going.
>>
>>44042462
The biggest city overall is probably one of the dark elf ones, and they strike me as very much as "no fun allowed" guys (the dark elves in my setting aren't the typical drow, but a bunch of religious zealots who worship what is basically the Cthulhu Mythos). Fun doesn't glorify the Elder Gods. That being said, even if they do have sticks up their asses, they're still human (well, elf; you know what I mean), so they probably still get drunk on occasion, although probably more along the lines of "invite people over under pretence of reading poetry and looking at paintings, then get drunk" instead of "go to some bar with your friends and get drunk". The former seems more socially acceptable. Also, taking part in religious ceremonies. The priesthood has declared that it's fun, and you don't argue against them unless you want to be fed to a shoggoth. And half the time said ceremonies involve tentacles and blood sacrifice, which is actually pretty exiting.

Outside of those assholes, it's probably the Imperial City of the not!Chinese former empire (they controlled most of a continent, but kind of lost most of their lands and are now stuck holding an island roughly the size of New Zealand), where you find most of the things you'd expect in a large port city that's also the center of the nation's culture. People go to bars, whorehouses, teahouses, gambling dens, etc., or visit theatres, take walks in parks, or just spend time at their house with their friends or family. Board games (not!mahjong and not!chekers in particular) are popular pastimes among all social classes.
>>
>>44042462
I hope he fucking dies in that bed. Loses bowel control over his waifupillows. The noxious black liquid of his deathshit and decomposing form absolutely saturating their fabric when the emergency services are called once his neighbours notice the smell.
>>
File: 1448437878268.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1448437878268.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
>>44044025
>>
>>44044025

Thats a pretty harsh thing to wish about a man just because he is a Reifag.
>>
>>44044025
Anon, I too am upset that he's a reifag when Asuka is clearly superior, but I think you're taking it too far.
>>
>>44044038
>Don't worry onii-chan, I called him edgy, now he no bully...
>>
File: excellent taste.png (80 KB, 589x264) Image search: [Google]
excellent taste.png
80 KB, 589x264
>>44044042
>>44044058
>>
The largest city in my setting is the Capitol city of the empire that rules most of the known world, Savar.

For fun, the people of Savar partake in the countries national past time, war reenactments. Or lynch corrupt Government officials.
When ever someone is office found guilty of corruption, they are dragged out into the streets and forced to confess their crimes, after words they are hung and left there as a reminder to others.
>>
File: 1437396404801.jpg (533 KB, 1002x1600) Image search: [Google]
1437396404801.jpg
533 KB, 1002x1600
>>44042462
>Tell me about the largest city in your setting.
Population-wise or land-wise?
Land-wise the largest city is the "City of Thousand Candles", the capital and throne-city of the Ghozun empire. Almost half of it however consists of the Inner City, which is basically just a giant temple town, mostly consisting of temples, monuments, and graveyards, and is off-limit to outsiders. It's population consists mostly of monks and priests who live under rather strict code of conduct, and don't exactly have time for fun.

Population-wise, the biggest city is called Caliopa. Considering that it hosts some 120 different temples and shrines, there is almost always some kind of festival or celebration happening. There are several theatres where various religious plays are frequently preformed.
Other than that, you can always go lollygag around the biggest slave market in the world, or get drunk in one of the many pubs. Smoking mildly hallucinogenic and tranquilizing dried leafs known as "smarmii" is fairly popular too, and wealthier merchants of the city can be frequently seen sitting in groups around small heaters placed right on the street, surrounded by guards, smoking from their massive pipes and getting stoned.

>>44043699
I don't see why people living in the city would not be counted as it's inhabitants just because they are part of the military. As for the army-to-population ratio, that is harder to judge: depends very much on the particular era, economy, and culture.

Generally speaking though, I'd say the number of soldiers on immediate military duty should be relatively modest if we are talking medieval-esque society.

In my world, Caliopa as a city has around 20k population, and only about 1k of it is actually part of the city's military - not counting personal bodyguards and such.
They can summon around 8k men in arms when they need to, mostly mercenaries and voluteers.
>>
>>44042462
No one cared what it was until they purged the basque.
>>
File: 1433070875935.jpg (259 KB, 800x745) Image search: [Google]
1433070875935.jpg
259 KB, 800x745
>>44043805
This sounds really fucking cool. Sadly my city isn't as proficient in magic so casters are rare, especially those that can conjure Golems. Time to create a new region

>>44043864
This works, thanks.
>>
>>44042462

Fardenvell is an abysmal Dark Ages stereotypical shithole. The buildings are made of gray blocks of stone, the roads are made of gray blocks of cobblestone, the walls are made of gray segments of stone. The sea beyond the harbour is gray and it's always raining, so the sky is gray too. The only thing good about the whipping, ice-cold rain is that it cleans out the gutter scum from the streets. Corruption is everywhere and the only flavours of morality are gray and gray. Crime is rampant and nobody cares..

Except one newly-promoted Captain of the Guard. He's a hard-boiled, renegade Guardsman who doesn't lay by the rules. On a personal crusade to weed out the filth from the city, he's the sole beacon of light to the poor and the downtrodden.

"Don't give a whore's copper if you were the fucking High King himself, you either pay that fine or I'll have you thrown off the damn walls."
- Alicaster Drownn, Captain of the City Guard
>>
File: C76-571_1.jpg (10 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
C76-571_1.jpg
10 KB, 400x300
>>44044528
>>
File: 1448343888094.png (908 KB, 3139x3287) Image search: [Google]
1448343888094.png
908 KB, 3139x3287
>>44042462
>You will never have two waifu body pillows and a helmet that baller
>tfw
>>
>>44044847
>he doesn't sleep with his armor on
>>
File: 1406742910490.jpg (196 KB, 1024x1448) Image search: [Google]
1406742910490.jpg
196 KB, 1024x1448
>>44042462
Mostly make small talk how 'The Golden City' and most of the public buildings within, named 'The Golden ______' are actually mostly made of marble. People always bring it up as if it's some new and witty observation, but everyone knows it, has thought about it and most have mentioned it.

Other than that, alcohol and church for the poor. Visits to 'The Golden Library/Theatre/Market/You get the idea' for the middle class and rich.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.