[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I just thought of a really great balancing mechanism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 8
File: happy man.jpg (3 MB, 2536x2688) Image search: [Google]
happy man.jpg
3 MB, 2536x2688
Hey guys,

I just thought of a really great balancing mechanism for role-playing games.

>The greater your proficiency with a skill, the more likely you are to accidentally use that skill.

This should prevent characters from becoming overpowered once they reach higher levels.
>>
I... Don't understand. Why does this improve anything?
>>
>>43958570
What? So if i'm really good at painting i will suddenly start to draw all over someone's face in the middle of a conversation?
>>
>>43958570
>>The greater your proficiency with a skill, the more likely you are to accidentally use that skill.

I can see the rational behind this. Someone who fences all the time takes a fencing pose when they play air hockey. Someone who paints constantly is always aware of how the colours inside a building clash and how the shadow is totally off.

But how does this stop characters from become overpowered?

If anything, doesn't that make it worse? That they're constantly using something they have a huge skill level in for tests that are only partially related?
>>
>Skilled carpenter
>gets into bar brawl
>repairs a rickety stool against someone's face
>>
>>43958624
>If anything, doesn't that make it worse? That they're constantly using something they have a huge skill level in for tests that are only partially related?

The idea is that the skill becomes harder to control. It would almost gain a life of its own in time--doing things which may help or hinder you.
>>
File: MFW.gif (1 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
MFW.gif
1 MB, 200x150
>>43958570
Just like how LeBron James is constantly crashing his car, because he keeps trying to dribble the steering wheel.
>>
>>43958678
>dog welder origin story
>>
>>43958707
>It would almost gain a life of its own in time--doing things which may help or hinder you.

...just how high are you right now?

Have you ever met someone whose skill at a task made the rest of their life harder?

"Oh god no, I've become a master golfer, now all I can do is stick my balls into things."
>>
>>43959266
First of all, the skill is more described as swinging thing to get things into holes. Second, have you heard of Tiger Woods?
>>
>>43959266
Tiger Woods wants a word with you.
>>
>>43958570
Anon, this is not how things work.

Why did you even think this was a good idea.
>>
>>43958570
>Become too good at math
>Become autistic savant
>Cha takes a massive hit because you spend all your time sperging out over patterns you see
>>
>>43959717
Maybe anon has gotten really good at coming up with novel mechanics for RPGs to the point where he can't stop?
>>
>>43958570
So Buff, you just become a pathological liar, okay, sure.

How do you accidentally an Acrobatics though?
Or accidentally Knowledge: Nature?
>>
Seems like the idea is that you would have to roll negative rolls based off stats.

Like if you're super strong you might roll your strength stat when you pick up something occasionally and if you roll high you'll break it.

Seems like a way for gms to just fuck with players/something for players to be made about more than anything else though.
>>
>>43959785
>How do you accidentally an Acrobatics though?
>Or accidentally Knowledge: Nature?
You're inching along a cliff and feel a sudden urge to pirouette right off of it and onto that small branch 50 feet down.
You're conversing with the local duchess and feel a sudden urge to explain to her, in great detail, the mating habits of the owlbear; and not in a flirtatious way.
>>
>>43958612
Not their face, but yes. at random intervals, painting has become such a part of you that you doodle constantly, on just about any generally suitable surface without thinking about it.

As an artist, can confirm this is an actual thing that happens. Its why many keep a sketch pad on them. To keep the doodles at least contained to an acceptable location.
>>
>>43959823
>You're inching along a cliff and feel a sudden urge to pirouette right off of it and onto that small branch 50 feet down.
That seems a bit silly. I wouldn't like if my GM forced me to do that.

>You're conversing with the local duchess and feel a sudden urge to explain to her, in great detail, the mating habits of the owlbear; and not in a flirtatious way.
I could see someone getting upset about this, but this could be a lot of fun if you had the out of game knowledge for it.
>>
>>43959796
Ah, I get it now, critical success-failures!

There was a thread a while back about (exaggerated) situations like that.

>Roll 20 to lie to the guard
>It's so convincing that you end up believing it yourself

>Roll 20 to throw the Dwarf
>You throw him so far that he flies half a mile before coming to rest in a briar patch
>>
>>43959266
As a diplomancer, I sometimes can't not diplomance someone. Like, I'm not even trying, I'm just wanting to have a regular conversation, and it still keeps on happening.

So... like, to combine this with the example already given of a painter always being distracted by poor or excellent design choices, or musicians getting distracted trying to name or analyze the piece playing, or of drummers I know who just sort of are always drumming in some way or another, whether with their feet, or hands, or just twirling a pencil like it was their sticks, yeah no I totally can see where he's coming from here.
>>
>>43959823
>You're conversing with the local duchess and feel a sudden urge to explain to her, in great detail, the mating habits of the owlbear; and not in a flirtatious way.

So Ducky from NCIS is a good example if this but for autopsy/forensics based Knowledge checks?
>>
>>43959888
This; master sword fighters might always been a fighting stance, even involuntarily, and would walk with a determined, intimidating gait; this might provide a bonus to intimidation, but might also scare off more polite company.
>>
>>43959839
>>You're inching along a cliff and feel a sudden urge to pirouette right off of it and onto that small branch 50 feet down.
>That seems a bit silly. I wouldn't like if my GM forced me to do that.
BUT IT WOULD BE SO GNARLY, MAN! AND YOU COULD TOTALLY LAND IT TOO, AND YOU'D GET SUCH SWEET AIR! HEY GUYS WATCH THIS!
>>
>>43959354
>>43959604

>Anonsmissthejoke.tpg
>>
>>43959925
HOLD MY ALE WHILE I RAMP THIS SHIT.
>>
>>43959888

That just sounds like you're an ass.

And I think OP's idea exists in gaming.

It's what happens when PC's try a test with a different skill than the recommended. You take a hit for using a unrelated skill, but when it's high enough that doesn't really matter.
>>
>>43959888
But see, there's a difference between a certain proficiency with a skill causing you to have a new perspective on things, and making you do things that are absolutely retarded. A master drummer may practice unconsciously in his off time. he will not, however, walk up to a random girl and start playing her chest like the bongos because of his uncontrollable master drummer urges. Master sword fighters may unconsciously practice footwork. they will not however, stab someone in the eyeball because they got handed a skewer stick at the local bbq. Honestly, make high level of skills be noticeable to others who are watching for clues. Nurses/Doctors may go a bit more in-depth when you ask them what cough medicine to pick. they won't, however, suddenly start telling you the best way to receive an enema.
>>
>accidentally driving
>accidentally climbing
>accidentally hacking
>accidentally surviving
>>
>>43959984
>he will not, however, walk up to a random girl and start playing her chest like the bongos because of his uncontrollable master drummer urges.
I'm guessing he's not a bard.
>>
>>43959948
That's not what he described.
He's not using a skill for something its not meant to do.
He's using a skill subconsciously. Unintentionally.

>>43959984
Nobody said they had to do retarded stuff. Just perform their skill accidentally.
>>
File: 1441158915909.jpg (376 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1441158915909.jpg
376 KB, 960x960
>>43959785

-constant compulsive acrobatics
-gain unwanted attention
>>
>>43960009
Damn.
>>
>>43960001
>He's using a skill subconsciously. Unintentionally.
>Nobody said they had to do retarded stuff. Just perform their skill accidentally.

Using one skill to replace another is a conscious act as a PLAYER. For the character, it would make perfect sense for it to be accidental.

Unless you are somehow so dense you think you can make the players accidentally use one skill instead of another.
>>
>>43960001
Could you name an example of accidental things like in >>43959987?
>>
>>43959987
Driving - You look both ways before opening your fridge.

Hacking - You compare real life security with net security

Surviving - You always keep an eye on the nearest exit, know where food supplies are at all times, and unconsciously track the movements of small rodents.
>>
>>43959984
no, but if he was already feeling her chest for more typical reasons, he might suddenly become aware that he's set up a particularly complex rhythm to what hes doing, at least compared to.normal techniques of second basing.
He may even feel inspired by what he's unwittingly created and feel the need to stop and take notation so he doesn't forget such a spark of genius.
>>
>>43960036
>Surviving - You always keep an eye on the nearest exit, know where food supplies are at all times, and unconsciously track the movements of small rodents.
Like that one scene in the Bourne Identity, yes?
>>
It's silly, but I can imagine it working.

Lets imagine that a min-maxed (and low level) skill-rogue with feats and special features presents an absurdly high disable device skill. When that same rogue is attempting to perform a craft skill (for which they have a modest rank), you can deny them the use of their craft skill.

Instead, you tell them that their instinctive and obsessive fascination with traps and other mechanical devices overrides their intent to use whatever sound crafting techniques that they may have learned. Instead, they find themselves tinkering too much with the crafting appliances, leading them to perform the task without the benefit of their skill ranks (since disable device is incompatible with, say, potion crafting, but is compatible with disassembling and reassembling a burner). Not only that, the time to perform the check is grossly inflated, as their finely tuned mechanical skill obligates them to calibrate their crafting appliances to the highest thresholds -- to no actual benefit because their crafting skill isn't actually on par with the the degree of maintenance of the equipment.

It's yak shaving at it's finest.

You can justify it like this:
1. Your skill in crafting grants you eligibility to perform the crafting. However:
2. Your overwhelming skill in disable device demands that you use that skill in all possible applications, even when that application is necessary or inappropriate.
3. That having a more skill ranks in your less focused skills would have given your character a grounded awareness of when to cross-utilize skills.
4. Stop being a dick and disabling all of my traps.
>>
>>43960028
No, are you so dense to assume I don't think the characters themselves can intentionally try to use one skill for another?
>>
>GURPS Disadvantages.pdf
>>
>>43960036

While that's great for character development and all, what the fuck does that do to stop a character from becoming overpowered?

>>43960054

Are you even listening to yourself right now?
>>
>>43958570
I had a vaguely similar (terrible) idea as a means of balancing a magic-user class. The idea was that spells are quasi-living things that 'want' to be used, and since spells are literally stored in the brain they can exert some influence. So the wizard would have to be constantly fighting off impulses to shoot off his spells at the first available opportunity, as represented by a will save, or wisdom check, or whatever. Say the wizard has a fireball prepared. Lighting a campfire? Roll a save to not skip all that tedious business with the flint and tinder and whatnot. Negotiating a bridge toll? Roll a save to not make that annoying toll collector just go away. It would have to be an easy check, obviously, to avoid constantly fucking the party over, but it would still exert pressure on the party wizard to prepare simpler utility spells with less potential for catastrophic misuse. Also, on the setting level it provides a convenient excuse for why wizards are such lunatics; magic rots your impulse control.
>>
>>43960032
>accidentally surviving.
You start collecting berries while moving through the forest out of rote habit, even though you already have more than enough rations to last the trip and back.

>>43960036
you stop that.
>>
>>43960001
Yes, but accidental usages aren't typically big things. they're stuff like practicing with pencils on the desktop, launching into medical lingo when asked a health question, unconsciously gripping various objects like their preferred weapon. This does nothing to prevent characters from getting OP at higher levels, which is what OP was asking about. In short, it's a shitty mechanic that falls apart once you get to more unusual skills, like >>43959987 points out.
>>
File: 1385059267609.gif (96 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1385059267609.gif
96 KB, 200x200
>>43958707
>becoming better at a skill means you lose control of that skill
0/10, way too obvious now, should have just quit with the first post.
>>
>>43960064
you realize you just fell for a ruse, right?

>>43960064
Because sometimes starting to sing to yourself while trying to sneak past orcs is a bad idea, no matter how sultry your voice is.

And sometimes duchesses really have no interest in hearing about the spiny-penised mating habits of owlbears during dinner parties.

And sometimes you weren't trying to get a random in the way devoted fan, you were just trying to ask a guy for directions, overexplained, and happened to really talked yourself up in the process.
>>
>>43959987
>accidentally hacking
Forgetting you can log in to a network the normal way, they even gave you the password and everything, and now you've accidentally triggered some security protocols.
>>
>>43960112
>>No Anon. You are the trolls.

>Because sometimes starting to sing to yourself while trying to sneak past orcs is a bad idea, no matter how sultry your voice is.

>And sometimes duchesses really have no interest in hearing about the spiny-penised mating habits of owlbears during dinner parties.

>And sometimes you weren't trying to get a random in the way devoted fan, you were just trying to ask a guy for directions, overexplained, and happened to really talked yourself up in the process.

Literally none of that has anything to do with having a high level in a skill.

If anything, that's poor impulse control and having low willpower.

Being great at something doesn't suddenly make you an 'sperger. Being a 'sperger does.

You get that, right? You're not describing someone who is skilled at something. You're describing nervous idiots who don't know how to shut the fuck up.

Is this some sort of extended meta joke? Are you lifting a mirror up to this thread and saying "You! This is all of you!"?
>>
>>43959987
>accidentally climbing
I knew a kid in highschool like this.
Teachers practically couldn't get him to stop climbing on things, as long as they were there to climb on. He was great at it. He'd be there next to you, then you look away then you look back and he's up a nearby tree or scaling the concrete walls.
>>
>>43960148
>Being great at something doesn't suddenly make you an 'sperger.

A cursory examination of genius through history suggests otherwise.
>>
>>43960169
>>43960158

These would both be examples of correlation and not causation.

Being great at something doesn't make you 'sperg. But if your 'sperg makes you obsess over something, you can become great at it.

The arrow goes one way.
>>
>>43960148
>Literally none of that has anything to do with having a high level in a skill.

I have never met a theater major that is incapable of NOT constantly bursting out into disney songs and showtunes.

I whole-heartedly disagree.
>>
>>43960181
Fine then, make it a spell or curse that an enemy or player character can cast on someone.
>>
>>43960181
It's just a silly idea, anon. There's no need to get so worked up. Just hide the thread and let them post their silly accidental skill use examples.
>>
>>43960181
the only person sperging I see here is you
>>
>>43958570
This isn't the worst idea I've seen posted here. I mean, it's pretty bad still though.
>>
>>43959904
Yup yup yup!

Anyway, this would also be good for characters with low wisdom or something.
>>
>>43958570
That makes no fucking sense anon.
>>
>>43960217
>>43960226

i'm sorry, i thought they wanted a casual discussion about a proposed idea, not a hugbox where their obvious genius would be celebrated unquestioned.

mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
>>
>>43960767
Neither, I'm afraid. You've just wandered into the mythical "joke thread", which is similar to the common troll thread but is different in the same manner that fiction is different from lying.
>>
It's a nice roleplaying piece. Works better for some skills than others. For a rl example, working as a counsellor shapes your speech and thoughts to the point that it's hard to turn off reflections and understanding.
>>
>>43959785
constant jojo posing
>>
>>43959785
As someone who does flag waving (it's a traditional thing here in belgium and other parts of europe), which is all about balancing and momentum of the flag and pole, I can safely attest that it makes you want to try and balance and throw around other things too.

It's how my brother almost knocked down someone's fuckhuge Eldar Titan at a con. I was so fucking pissed at him for doing that.
>>
>>43961566
As pointed out in the thread already though, some WIS applies as to where you start doing this kind of stuff, as my brother demonstrated his low WIS score there.
>>
I think "accidentally" is meant from the player's perspective. Not the character's perspective. It's causing misunderstandings.

You can't decide to start cooking food "accidentally", that doesn't make sense. But you can notice and sperg about improperly cooked food, and you can get a craving for cooking up something.
>>
>>43958570
>the more likely you are to accidentally use that skill
Are... Are you retarded.

Hi guys, glad to be working with you, what can I do? Well I have Godlike skill with firearms, I ca-
EVERYONE HIT THE FUCKING DECK!
>>
>>43961863
It's more like you'd be more and more likely to use your gun instead of something else when faced with a problem.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Or something like that.
>>
>>43961863
>you hear a balloon bursting
>you wonder why people are screaming when you suddenly realise you've quickdrawn your gun and dropped into a shooting pose scanning for targets
>>
>>43959824
that is a load of shit
>>
>>43961912
>If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Or something like that.
But that's mix-maxer mentality in a nutshell.
If all someone can do is fight, they'll always fight, because they're left with no other option.
>>
>>43961497
/thread
>>
>>43961951
It's more to do with what they'd consider viable options personally, given their experience.

If someone thinks about cooking all the damn time, then obviously anything tangentially related to cooking will stand out to them and they might even get urges to go and cook, which they wouldn't control since it's not like they have anything else to do because their player minmaxed them into a pure chef.
>>
>>43959156
I actually laughed at this, well done
>>
>>43960068
This is actually a pretty good reflavoring of ye olde magical corruption, and if you ever write a fantasy book you should make it a core part of the story and expand on spells being living things with a will.
>>
>>43961927
Its very probably the origin of most graffiti, someone's hanging out, gets bored, looks at a wall and thinks of how utterly bereft of dicks it is and rectifies the situation.
>>
>>43959756

>>
>>
>>43960009
>unwanted attention
You're a shitty liar Ty Lee.
>>
>>43960822

But there isn't anything inherently funny about the idea. It's just a bad one. Not a terrible one, mind you. It raised a good notion that high skill levels could cause character idiosyncrasies that could be used to identify what they're good at.

Calling it a joke thread just makes it sound like you're backtracking going 'Oh lol, I wasn't serious about my idea - dis is jokes lol'.
>>
>>43962117
It reminds me a little of The Colour of Magic, and how the Eight Spells were locked inside his mind, scaring off any lesser form of magic and making him generally incompetent.

Ignore the fact that he's also just a terrible wizard.
>>
>>43958707
>The idea is that the skill becomes harder to control. It would almost gain a life of its own in time--doing things which may help or hinder you.
So becoming skilled makes you autistic?
>>
>>43959824

That's because you're autistic, not because you're a skilled artist. I don't go around accidentally engineering things and chefs don't accidentally start cooking food in the middle of a grocery store.
>>
>>43960068
I like it, but I think the idea needs more development. For instance, make higher level spells more intelligent and make certain conditions cause the spells to be more difficult to resist.
>>
File: 1390316905972.png (299 KB, 1179x897) Image search: [Google]
1390316905972.png
299 KB, 1179x897
>>43958570
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 1024x1229) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 1024x1229
>highest skill is explosives
>trying to make bowl of cereal
>failed the check

>nice system , would use again
>>
>>43958612
>What? So if i'm really good at painting i will suddenly start to draw all over someone's face in the middle of a conversation?

Don't make me want to implement this mechanic so hard anon.
>>
For all the (justified) mockery of the idea, this thread has been hilarious
>>
>>43958570
You know, I could actually dig this idea in a setting where inspiration was a kind of magical madness and the skills and talents that came with it were akin to superpowers.
>>
>>43964091
Have you ever sent a chef to go pick up a carton of milk? They come home with 4 FULL bags of groceries and start jabbering on about what they're going to Cook with it
>>
>>43964091

> I don't go around accidentally engineering things

Fuck, I do. After a few drinks I'll invariably try to work out if some idiot's theoretical retard palace or rube goldberg machine is feasible.
>>
Better modifier:
>system has negative effects from potions and spells/drawbacks system
>use the debuffs, Autistic, drunk, sysdexlic, and other such dumb things that can be applied to the party members.
These can trigger accidental usages of some of their best skills
>Mage contracts dyslexia from a horse
>Reads spell book to prepare their spells
>It turns out all their buff spells have been replaced with fireball
>Fireballs self in torso
Or
>Thief has gained amnesia!
>Will randomly accidentally steal shit from anyone and forget about it
>steals Warrior's 2H axe and Cleric's robes
>steals Monk's fist
>His actual fist, there's just a bleeding stump left.
>Steals the BBEG and finds him creating a phylactery in his pocket.
>>
>>43958570
>accidentally dogfigting
>accidentally take photographs
>accidentally teach

so its rules for PTSD?

PS: If it's not bait OP is a legit autist
>>
>>43960047
>It's yak shaving at it's finest.
Wait, what?
>>
>>43962721
I thought it was only one of the Eight Spells?
>>
>>43966991
>PS: If it's not bait OP is a legit autist
Damn, man, that's a bit unfair. You've never met a teacher who always tends to talk like they're addressing a bunch of five-year-olds?

It seems to me that, while some skills would make more sense with this than others, it doesn't really seem like they'd be disadvantages in those cases as much as idiosyncrasies. Any system that wanted to use this as a mechanic for all skills would need to have a very specific set of skills and a pretty clear list of the disadvantages/idiosyncrasies those would prompt.

I can see it as being much more useful for roleplaying than that, though. You've gotta think about how a character skilled in X might approach Y, that kind of thing.
>>
>>43959839
>>You're conversing with the local duchess and feel a sudden urge to explain to her, in great detail, the mating habits of the owlbear; and not in a flirtatious way.

And then...
>party bard succumbs to the unresistable impulse to mime your descriptions behind your back.
>>
>>43966991
>Accidental Taunt
Tourette's
>Accidental Pickpocket
Kleptomania
>Accidental Bluff
Thanks Obama
>>
>>43968606
>GM offers to give you extra points for making your character if you take certain "drawbacks."
>Drawbacks include dyslexia, short-term memory loss, insomnia, IBS, and a few others
>Mechanically, the GM will roll a dice against a chance and if it passes, nothing happens.
>If it fails...
>Dyslexia causes you to misread something, which can include prepping spells for the day, scroll inscriptions, and ANYTHING written in ANY language
>Short-Term Memory Loss, you "misremembered" the past period of time and may have done something unsavory.
>Insomnia, you can't sleep and are dead tired in the morning, notably closer to just passing out due to exhaustion
>IBS, at the start of a battle, if it fails, you shit yourself. The smell can have a minor impact on the fight for better or worse and the player takes a -1 to all Dex rolls due to having clothes/armor full of shit and the smell.
>>
>>43968722
>Obsessive skill- you gain a number of extra ranks in a skill of your choosing, but must regularly pass a will check, with the ranks in that skill acting as a negative, to avoid using that skill when you don't want to.
>>
>>43969548
>Takes points in art
>Paints on your opponents with paints you turned into high-grade poisons cause you're also an alchemist
>>
>>43969619
>fail a will check
>start killing people accidentally
>>
>>43969676
Yaknow, now that I think about it, an insane painter would be fucking fun.
>>
>>43968722
>Short-Term Memory Loss, you "misremembered" the past period of time and may have done something unsavory.
Anon with short-term memory loss here, it's fucking bullshit and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy; as a malus is fucking horrible.

>promise to do something
>forget you promised to do it 10 minutes later
>forget about it entirely half an hour later
>wonder why you have someone screaming at you for not even starting on a report, when you don't even remember about being told about it in the first place

>have dream
>forget about dream
>have deja vu moment months later where the dream comes rushing back
>spend the rest of the day freaked the fuck out because you're not sure if you're in a coma and just need to WAKE UP

It's seriously fucking shitty, don't do it to your players.
>>
>>43969676
>Not having your allies carry your deadly paints when in town
>>
>>43969696
Slaanesh is pleased.

You can 666% play one in Black Crusade.

Human, Renegade, Melee focused. Or ranged if you're going to throw paint at people.
>>
File: Indulgent.jpg (11 KB, 250x236) Image search: [Google]
Indulgent.jpg
11 KB, 250x236
>>43969756
>AHH YES, I SIMPLY LOVE THE WAY THEIR FROTHING AND BILE AND BLOOD AND SEMEN MIXES WITH THE SOFTER TONES, IT TRULY MAKES THE WORK STAND OUT
>>
>>43969703
My mother has it as well, I know very well the effect it has on people. It can completely fuck over people.
>players think short-term memory loss isn't that bad
>take it for the "free" bonus since their current actions can't be changed
>STML characters are regularly alone in towns
>When they get back together, since a bad roll occurred, it turns out they did something very very bad.
>promised to look into a problem in the town, tells of cultists popping up
>None of those characters remember
>Leave
>Come back after end of current quest
>Town is dead and the cultists are raising their elder god with all the blood
It's so horribly fun as a mechanic, but horrible for reality.
>>
>>43969756
"Oh, why did you stop signing? I was enjoying your docet tones laid out so smoothly against the empty background of this temple."
>enemy he was painting on is on the floor curled up, a large gob of blood and blue lemon-scented paint dripping from their chest cavity
>>
>>43969778
>It's so horribly fun as a mechanic, but horrible for reality.
Agreed, and I'd love to see some PC's see what true suffering is like, but it also opens a way for the DM to fuck with them way too much; If it's played on too heavily it essentially becomes "you did X Y and Z, and now the kingdom's army is after you. Roll for initiative"
>>
>>43960036
>unconsciously track rodents
Damn we have the master sleep tracker.
>>
>>43969826
It's mostly snippets of minor conversation and if the players bitch, since everyone IRL heard it, they can let it go. Cause a game is a balance between the host and the players. They need each other to complete the action.
>>
>>43959824
CANT CONTAIN THE DOODLES
>>
>talking with the queen to return quest
>accidentally start carousing
>gives me her number
>hit it back at my pad
>DM too
>>
>>43969696
Like the Joker from Burton's Batman?
>>
>>43970207
>I FEEL THE PAINT OVERTAKING ME
>IT IS A GOOD PAIN
>>
>>43959171
Did I miss something epic?
The fuck is a dog welder.
>>
File: 1.jpg (130 KB, 600x635) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
130 KB, 600x635
>>43973145
Only the best fukken super villain.
>>
>>43973521
What the fuck lol.
>>
>>43959785
>So Buff, you just become a pathological liar, okay, sure.

I assume you meant Bluff
And yes, actually, people who are very good and frequent liars can get tangled in their own lies. Or do it on reflex just because they can't take the *possible* outcomes of the truth being known, even if it's something minimal.
>>
>>43973521
>Villain
>>
>>43973817
Like Liar Liar!
>>
Everybody thinks this is a retarded idea because it seems silly from a player's perspective, but it actually makes a lot of sense for the character. Players should already be doing it if they properly role play though, so it's more like a role play enforcement or something.
>>
>>43977125
The end result of which is that the people who would be affected by this are the minmaxers who would also resent it. Things wouldn't change much for the roleplayers.
>>
>>43966991
You're taking these way out of context, and calling him the autist.

He doesn't mean you'd literally start doing the thing in the moment, he means that facets of that skill could become part of your character, and be used out of context. For photos, thinking about what scenes would make the best photos, and ending up ignoring what's going on. For teaching, yes, talking to people like you know stuff that they don't, and it's your job to teach them it, acting like they're children.

Dog-fighting is harder because it's much more likely to just be a flying skill, and I don't know shit about flying so I'm not going to say.

People who're passionate about stuff tend to be kind of always thinking about it to some degree, and it's a good assumption that you have to be passionate about something to be a master at it.
Why would you think he meant actually doing the thing?
>>
>>43959823
When she mistakenly complained about owlbears laying laying eggs in the chimney or something stupid like that.

How the fuck are some people so dense? Or is it intentional "pfft this is a masterpiece joke hehehe" stupidity?
It's not that hard, I mean, >>43959984, >>43960038, >>43960036 these guys get it.
It's not that hard.
Is it?
>>
>>43979093

Because none of those tackle the OPs first point of curbing power gamers.
>>
>>43979111
I thought it'd be obvious? (Then again I'm somewhat sure I've Aspergers or Schizoid pd)
When a skill goes above a certain point, start rolling willpower to stop doing stuff related to it.
Like the owlbear sperging to the countass.
And the longer you put it off, the higher the check goes.
Of course you can choose to sperg off about it and reset the check to its starting (and small) number.
This is just using the owlbear sperg example, it'd be different to other skills.
And of course you should talk with your players before shoving it down their throats.
>>
>>43973521
>super villain
Hero you mean, right?
>>
>>43979181
>And of course you should talk with your players before shoving it down their throats.

Ugh, shit-GM detected.
>>
>The better you become at shitposting on 4chan the more likely you are to accidentally shitpost in real life
>>
>>43959156
10/10
>>
>>43959785
>Or accidentally Knowledge: Nature?
You unconsciously start to respond to people's actions as though they were animals.
For example, if some burly drunk is picking a fight with you in the pub, you might default to bear behavior response and try to scare him off by throwing out your arms and lunging a half-step forwards while yelling.
>>
>>43980589
It's true.
>>
>>43979181

That's just how to implement that. How does that stop players from getting too powerful? And what happens if they have multiple skills maxed out? Or have a stupidly high Wisdom?

It's a great idea, certainly. But how does it stop people from still being overpowered?
>>
>>43964091
I'm unemployed and unskilled and I accidentally do nothing all the time, even when I'm supposed to be doing something.
>>
>>43958570
"Oh darn, I accidentally read Latin/cooked a four course meal in the middle of battle."

Seriously, this makes no sense.
>>
I love how all the nerds are sperging over OH YEAH!? WELL HOW ABOUT THIS ONE SKILL FROM 3.5!? WE NEED TO THINK ABOUT HOW THIS AFFECTS MUNDANES while we literally have a dozen daily threads about spellcasters warping reality so hard that they elf slave wat do.

It makes sense to me. If all you have is a hammer, and by hammer, I mean physics-defying-ability-to-set-things-on-fire, you will use fire more often. I mean, its the fundamental nature of the phrase "Power Corrupts", or the previous hammer-related phrase.

I like it, OP. It would require careful finesse to execute, but its a good idea.
>>
>>43981564
Careful Anon it's already happening
>>43980589
>>
>>43958570
This is by far the dumbest idea for an RPG mechanic I've read in a while. You should feel bad OP.

>If you are good at perception you accidentally perceive things?
>If you are good at knowledge you accidentally know things?
>If you are good at occult you accidentally summon things?

People who are skilled at things should be LESS likely to accidentally do them. With greater skill comes greater control and understanding of what they are really doing.
>>
>>43981804
>With greater skill comes greater control and understanding of what they are really doing.

Which is why no one who uses violent force in their daily life ever lashes out or hurts anyone, why compassion fatigue is a lie made up by liberals, and why there's never been any situation where anyone in power has ever abused it.
>>
>>43981804

The more skilled you are at something, the more blase and rote it becomes.

Lets look at it from the other angle - could OP's idea work if, instead of just accidentally using your skill, you straight fuck up from over confidence?

I'm thinking of things where surgeons perform the wrong procedure, where Marksmen shoot the wrong target. Shit, any moment you've ever had where you've stopped and gone "...why the fuck did I do that?"

Wait a minute.

That's already in the game.

It's call a critical failure.

Never mind, OP's idea is dicks.
>>
>>43978999
>Dog-fighting is harder because it's much more likely to just be a flying skill, and I don't know shit about flying so I'm not going to say.

It would be like that Tour of Duty episode where the chopper pilot returns to the states, gets a job as a pilot for the news hellicopter and gets flashbacks to 'nam

>Why would you think he meant actually doing the thing?
Because people are not spergs and know how to have a conversation with another human being
But then again we are on /tg/...
>>
>>43981874
Good thing everyone plays d20, where 20s are magical physics-bending successes and 1s are always earthshattering failures.
>>
>>43981972

I think critical failures go beyond d20 systems. A critical failure is just the absolute worst you could have rolled for a test.

Unless you're not being a smartarse.

It's hard to tell with you.
>>
>>43982030
But some systems are retarded and don't have earthbreaking failures. Just failures. Thats retarded, not d20, and therefore objectively wrong.
>>
>>43982054

How many systems do you know that have a 'You're so good at something you go retarded with it!' system?

I think the idea here is coming up with something that can work with OPs concept, you fuckwit.

In this case the notion that failing a roll is where the overskill failure can come in. You don't just "fail your bluff" roll and fail to charm. You start talking about the intricacies of stamp collection, which bore her.
>>
>>43981853
Yeah! We also need mechanics for randomly shitting yourself in there too. The older you are the more you shit yourself without control because you've been alive and shitting so long you are really good at it now.
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.