[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GURPS General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 8
File: 1448667537449.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1448667537449.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Old General is dead long live to the new GURPS General.

I've never posted a GURPS General, so hopefully everything works as is edition.

The usual disclaimer that some of these links may not work applies.

=GURPS Resources==
If you want to learn the basic mechanics of the system, get GURPS Lite for free at www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/

Character Templates. Think Character Classes.
http://gurps.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Templates

GURPS 4th edition Books:
https://mega.nz/#F!RcJUHApY!uVGhU1FAZaWQAURsfrOgyQ!8cgQgBpL

4th edition Character Sheet utility:
https://www.gurpscharactersheet.com

Combat Examples. Very useful for new players and GMs! Check out how different options effect things.
http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/

GURPS Murder Simulator, a fun tool to simulate shooting people in GURPS.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40207800/MiscDev/MurderSim2015.exe

GURPS 3rd edition PDFS. Unreliable. Try again if they don't work.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/qiq29z073l9zs/GURPS
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/fvkg5h94x1k1m/GURPS

What Skills should every PC have? Good idea, moderate execution.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=369148&postcount=22
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=676097&postcount=4

Combat Cheat Sheet
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10971026/Combat%20Maneuvers%20Cheat%20Sheet%202.04.pdf

Random utility
gurpscalculator.com

Magic System comparisons
http://pastebin.com/4Wk6gB2D (HTTP)

Planet and star generator:
http://higarashi.big-metto.net/upload/CeleNavigation/CelestialNavigation_x86.zip

Innate Attack Calculator, missing some modifiers:
www.sjgames.com/gameaids/gurps/g4innatecalc.html
>>
Old Thread >>43920250

"But why GURPS?"

1) The splatbooks/worldbooks are universally written by people who know what they're talking about. The Fantasy book is written by archaeologists and historians, the Space book is written by astrophysicists, the Guns book is written by gun experts, etc. The factual mistakes are few and far between, and almost always acknowledged later. They give great advice on how to make believable worlds, how FTL affects society, how magic changes warfare, how real supernatural elements change secret societies... or how to ignore all realism and make whatever setting you want in a way that players can't take advantage of. They're great reads, even if you don't use the system.

2) GURPS has rules to handle anything. You don't need to use them all (why bother with rules for asphyxiating in a vacuum in a game about biker gangs?) but they're there. So if a game doesn't go where you expect, and your party of adventurers buy a wagon and start managing a merchant caravan company, there are books to support that style of play in a systemic way, integrated with the core rules in a way that makes sense. This also makes it great for crazy blends of game. Dungeonpunk with automatic firearms? Yes.

3) GURPS by default uses "heroic realism". This is when the odds on the heroes' sides but reality doesn't bend for them. Two bullets will knock a human unconscious (but not immediately kill him - this is fairly realistic) but hitting a moving target more than 100m away in a firefight is hard as hell. It suits games that go for a realistic or gritty feel and gives a break from the slightly cartoony damage sponges in games like D&D but can be customised with optional rules to change the feel from "Fuck You, There Are No Heroes and the World is Shit" right up to "The Heroes are Good and Always Triumph Over Evil". Incidentally, what makes it heroic realism also makes it the best game on the market to play a game about Operators Operating Operationally.
>>
Which is better, Sorcery or Ritual Path Magic?
>>
>>43957530
I think Ritual Path Magic is more interesting, but only works if the players care enough to actually read it and understand enough to use the system without you doing everything for them.

Sorcery is better if the GM wants tight reign on the system or wants a system that supports high power levels easily.
>>
>>43957530
Yes.

Seriously though. They have very different feels. One lets you do damn near anything (RPM) if you have time to prepare in advance. The other (Sorcery) is basically a tweaked Modular Abilities so you can do a few or several things often and fast.

I was a big fan of RPM when it came out but after a several sessions my group decided it didn't fit their style of play or their view of magic.

We now use Sorcery as a more points-balanced revision of basic magic. It's new so we'll have to see. . . So far we're really liking it (aside from the limited published spell catalog).
>>
Speaking of magic systems:

Anyone have fun variations on syntactic magic, or do you mostly play out of the box?
>>
'sup gurps guys.

I'm putting together a list of every official DF class, and what they're in.

Adventurer, http://www.crgurps.comuv.com/content/adventurer-occupational-template
Aristocrat, Pyramid 3/64 p. 4-5
Artificer, DF4 p. 4-7
Assassin, DF12 p. 9
Barbarian, DF1 p. 4-5
Barbarian Variants, DF Denizens 1
Bard, DF1 p. 5-6
Beastmaster, Pyramid 3/60 p. 35-36
Buccaneer, Pyramid 3/64 p. 5-8
Cleric, DF1 p. 6-7
Cleric Variants, DF7
Demolisher, Pyramid 3/36 p.4-7
Demonologist, DF9 p. 6-7
Duelist, Pyramid 3/64 p. 4-5
Druid, DF1 p. 7
Dwarf, Pyramid 3/50 p. 4-6
Echoist, Magical Styles, Dungeon Magic p. 38
Elementalist, DF9 p. 9-10 - All five variants.
Elf, Pyramid 3/50 p. 6-8
Evil Cleric, DF3 p. 23
Fluidist, Magical Styles, Dungeon Magic p. 33
Holy Warrior, DF1 p. 7-8
Infernal Diabolist, Pyramid 3/50 p. 11-13
Innkeeper, DF10 p. 8
Iron Mage, Magical Styles, Dungeon Magic p. 34
Justicar, Pyramid 3/10
Knight, DF1 p. 8-9
Martial Artist, DF1 p. 9-10
Master of the Light, http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/August_12_2012/I_Always_Carried_A_Torch_For_You
Mentalist, DF14, p. 15-22
Mirror Mage, Magical Styles, Dungeon Magic p. 41
Monster Slaver, Pyramid 3/47 p. 20-23
Musketeer, Pyramid 3/36 p. 17-21
Mystic Archer, Pyramid 3/36 p. 27-28
Mystic Knight, Pyramid 3/13 p. 16-17
Mystic Swordsman, Pyramid 3/36 p. 28
Necromancer, DF9 p. 13-14
Ninja, DF12 p. 8
Pentaclist, Magical Styles, Dungeon Magic p. 40
Rogue Pyramid 3/64 p. 9-10
Saint, Pyramid 3/36 p. 8-16
Scholar, DF4 p 8-11
Scout, DF1 p. 10-11
Shaman, DF9 p. 16-17
Swashbuckler, DF1 p. 11-12
Thaumaturgetecist, Magical Styles, Dungeon Magic p. 37
Thief, DF1 p. 12-13
Underworld Mage, Magical Styles, Dungeon Magic p. 36
Unholy Warrior, DF3 p. 27
Warrior-Saint, Pyramid 3/36 p. 8-16
Wizard, DF1 p. 13-14

How accurate is this list? Are there any official DF templates I'm missing? I'm whipping up examples of each official one so I can offer players pre-made characters to introduce them to the system.
>>
>>43960454
ah fuck, that 'adventurer' template shouldn't be there. my bad.
>>
>>43960454
Isn't there a stickied template list on the forums? I haven't looked so it might not be what you want. But, I haven't looked so it might.
>>
>>43961645
I looked up the one on the wiki when I saw Anon's post, not up to date. Doubt the forums' is.
>>
>>43960454

Check out the one on the wiki:

http://gurpswiki.wikidot.com/ind:occupational-templates-by-genre

(scroll to the bottom for DF)
>>
>>43962141
Last update was the sixth of November this year, so at most it's only a month behind.
>>
What would the stat's for this thing look like?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.950_JDJ

Also, how would you model injuring yourself with a gun too big for you to handle? I'm thinking maybe take the difference between the weapon's ST and yours, find thrust damage for that ST and apply it as crushing to your arm?

So a ST 18 weapon fired by a ST 10 man would do damage based on ST 8 thrust, or 1d-3. That probably wouldn't break your arm, but it would be pretty unpleasant which seems about what I would expect.
>>
Can you make a disembodied AI with only the Basic Set? I'm scratching my head here but I can't seem to make it happen.
>>
>>43960454
Here's the forum's stickied list:
forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=1950235&postcount=104

The link for the excel list in the same thread (although sorted alphabetically from all sources, around 1800 templates).

Have you included Alchemist/Brewmaster/whatever it was called (separate Artificer lens), and Mimic/Imitator/whatshisname ?
>>
>>43962730
With insubstantial+invisibility you get close enough to disembodied, but are you sure that's what you're after? In most settings an AI must inhabit some sort of physical computer, and possibly use some variant on the "Possession" (B75) advantage to move itself to other bodies.
>>
>>43962914
That does sound like what I'm after, the AI is not tied to a specific computer and can "move around", Possession is a good fit. The part that gives me most trouble is that I feel like it shouldn't have ST or DX at all, that's 300 points right away, and it feels exaggerated.
>>
>>43962950
Fantasy has a section on stating magical, sentient artifacts as characters, It might help to see how it's done there.
>>
>>43962950
>>43963147
I know you said, "with only the basic set", I meant looking at how it's done more than using some sort of non-basic advantage. Also, I meant Thaumathology, not Fantasy.
>>
>>43963172
I'm willing to use outside Basic Set, I started only recently and I'm trying to keep the amount of books low so as to not burn myself out completely. I'll check out Thaumathology, though, thanks!
>>
Is it always worth it to spend points into Feinting technique over simply increasing the skill once it reaches SL 16? Is it a good practice to mix in Feinting as much as possible?
>>
>>43962660
Look up the German WW1 anti tank rifle in High Tech, it has rules for accidentally breaking your collarbone with a huge gun.
>>
>>43960454
I quite like that adventurer template.

Would be good for small parties especially.
>>
>>43962950
>That does sound like what I'm after, the AI is not tied to a specific computer and can "move around", Possession is a good fit. The part that gives me most trouble is that I feel like it shouldn't have ST or DX at all, that's 300 points right away, and it feels exaggerated.

It is, but you'll need it.

Digital Mind, Enhanced Time Sense (for speed of computing since you're an AI), Modular Abilities, Posession, etc etc.
>>
>>43962950
You don't need ST; you would need to buy up HP to at least a positive value though.

However, you would need DX. Since AI characters can already shunt ST down to nothing, they introduced a rule in one of the Transhuman Space books: DX is treated as a mental stat for AI characters, and it represents your software's capability for fine motor control. You robody only has DX modifiers.
>>
>>43966120
Interesting! Is it in a specific book for Transhuman Space?

>>43965892
Well, you're right. I just didn't consider all the shit an AI should be able to pull off and considered 300 points in disadvantages to be too disgusting for play.
>>
>>43966163
Page 50 of Transhuman Space: Changing Times (the 3e>4e update book).

>[W]hen an infomorph [AIs and uploaded humans, basically] “possesses” another body, DX is classed as a mental attribute, as it is largely determined by the software’s capacity for precision, real-time coordination, etc.. However, some cybershells [robotic bodies] provide a DX modifier, which is added to the infomorph’s own DX. For example, if a DX 12 SAI is running on a snakebot cybershell, its effective DX becomes 15.
>>
>>43964286
It's not the only option out there, but it is a good one, so not "always."
At SL 16+, you're basically buying penalties. Targeted Attacks, Rapid Strikes, bypassing armor, etc. all eat up skill, so a higher skill level, in theory at least, has more utility as it can be put towards more potential ends.
>>
So it's generator anon here again. Been doing some more work and finally signed up to Github, so here you go:

https://github.com/bluetooth250/GURPSGen

Currently the armour and energy weapon generators are the only ones with much functionality, and the energy weapon generator is still partway through a total re-write using object-oriented features since I learnt how to use them in class.

Check the readmes for more info, and ask any questions that doesn't answer here
>>
>>43967553
For having all the code in one spot, it's arranged fairly well. If you get to the point where you can make the program read parameters from an external flat-file or what have you, you could easily make it extensible if someone wanted the ability to generate armor from mundane or exotic materials, like diamonds, rathalos scales, or shadows.
>>
>>43968091

I'm intending to clean up the file structure once it's all done, and now that I know how to import modules in Python. One file for materials, one for constructions, one for the base object, then an optional one for random generation. It was part of the reason I switched into object-oriented features, because it means creating new materials is simple and just involves adding one line to a file.
>>
Gurps is Gurps.
>>
>>43969489
...Well, yes. That's how the law of identity works. What's your point?
>>
>>43969612
GURPS is synonymous with "the best".
>>
>>43969755
It certainly is.
>>
As a brain teaser, I was puzzling over one of the complaints in another thread about how GURPSFriends don't want to admit to any shortcomings in the system, because anything is possible. I thought about it for a long time, and I thought of something that GURPS might not be good at.

I think it would be difficult to have a battle of attrition style combat in the GURPS system, and by that, I mean how in some video games, like say Monster Hunter or a lot of turn based JRPGs a battle can rage for minutes (Monster Hunter, tens of minutes) as blow is traded for blow. If that specific experience is absolutely wanted in GURPS, it's possible with insane amounts of ablative DR and hit points, but by default, it's an unlikely experience in GURPS.

In GURPS, the experience I have when it comes to heroes versus a high powered monster, it's either over really fast because the players did a trap right or the monster destroyed them, or in the scenario of a long drawn out battle, it's because of scrambling for safety and cover to turn the situation in the favor of the players or the enemies.

But now that I type this out... I wonder if that is a flaw at all.
>>
File: typicаl GURPS shootout.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
typicаl GURPS shootout.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>43971695
>a battle can rage for minutes (Monster Hunter, tens of minutes) as blow is traded for blow
Eh, it's actually pretty easy to get that kind of stalemate in GURPS, especially with newbie players who found some obvious ways to increase their active defenses, such as Retrets and shields, but haven't learned about Feints and Deceptive attacks yet. Except it won't be about attrition, but about who fails their defense first. Even then, if both fighters have good armor, lots of HP and high HT rolls (which are really easy to get), and maybe High Pain Threshold, and use one-handed weapons, then you will get battle of attrition. Then there are shootouts - if there is no cover, then it's instagib match, but if there is a cover, then you need to work very hard as GM to avoid video related.
>>
>>43971695
>But now that I type this out... I wonder if that is a flaw at all.
Well, I suppose it all hinges on what the players in question want from the system.
>>
>>43971925
Or the players can do what people have to do in that situation in real life.

Grenades, suppressing fire, flanking or situational things.
>>
What's the most interesting tactical map setup anyone here used? I was thinking of ways to shake up fights, and two ideas I was thinking of was conveyer belts or gears. Wonder if that would be more work than it's worth though.

I also was thinking of making a lich like boss with a huge magic circle on the floor, and he'd be invulnerable until all the candles at the points (thinking a pentagram) are destroyed.

Also thinking of integrating platform elements like jumping to potentially safe areas during a fight.

Are these ideas good or bad? Anyone else have any interesting twists they have used for combats?
>>
>>43972423
>I also was thinking of making a lich like boss with a huge magic circle on the floor, and he'd be invulnerable until all the candles at the points (thinking a pentagram) are destroyed.

For the love of god do not use the Dungeon Fantasy lich for this or your players will all die.
>>
Does anyone have a guide for what attribute scores children of various ages should have.

Specifically, at what age would an average human have IQ 8?

My players are trying to interrogate a guy with IQ 8 and I want some idea of how much he will understand.

I know it's about equivalent to a real world IQ of 70, but I don't actually understand what that would be like. I have very little experience dealing with retards in real life. Being able to compare it to a child would give me a better grasp of what they are capable of, I think.
>>
>>43972834

Basic Set: Characters, p. 20.
>>
>>43956145
Alright, GURPS super noob here. I've played D&D and a few others, but not much else.
I want to get started with GURPS. If I want to start learning the rules, where is the best place to start? I took a look at the mega link, but there's so much I don't know where to start.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>>
>>43973185

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/
>>
>>43973185
>>43973200
Yeah, GURPS Lite is your best bet. It's short and free.
>>
>>43973185
Start with the Lite rules.
>>
>>43973200
>>43973222
>>43973231
Thanks a lot for the advice.
>>
Let's say I want to play a cyberpunk game in GURPS. What sourcebooks should I use?

We're Shadowrun refugees who never got to play because our GM couldn't wrap their head around the rules.
>>
>>43974959
Ultra-Tech for the, well, tech.
Aaaaand that's about it for the 4e books.

Seriously, though, anything else you would need would be in a few issues of Pyramid, namely the Tech and Toys issue and the Cyberpunk issue. There are two 3e cyberpunk books; the hacking system has been streamlined in the Cyberpunk issue of Pyramid, but it's still a fun read and might give you new insight on the tone/tropes. 3e's Transhuman Space, while not cyberpunk, has a lot of rules on AI and robot bodies, and the 4e update book Changing Times does the math for you as does the body catalog Shell-Tech; if your game is a bit more post-cyberpunk (like GitS or Infinity) those might be useful.

If this is your first game, I'd limit it to that. While cyberpunk is considered a gritty genre, Basic Set is gritty enough; you don't need to bust out Tactical Shooting to make it extra grimderp, especially if you don't have the basic rules down pat. Also, a lot of people ignore the Style>Substance tone of cyberpunk, so playing fast and loose the the rules might work better.
>>
According to Low-Tech: A waterproof 6 gallon barrel costs $124 to transport $30 of beer/wine.

Does that seem absurd to anyone else? The barrel costing 4x the contents? Are/were barrels that expensive?
>>
Hypothetically, what license could SJG acquire to assure the GURPS resurgence?
IPs like Star Wars and Warcraft will get even more publicity due to the upcoming films.
Marvel/DC Universe seems to be huge right now, with all the films and tv series like Jessica Jones/Daredevil/Agents of Shield and others.
Don't get me wrong, Discworld is nice and all, but not as the system flagship.
>>
>>43973185
>>43973295

After that start in on the Campaigns book of Basic Set. Character is Character creation, Campaigns is the nitty gritty rules.
>>
>>43976657

The ones you listed, yeah. Anime Fad of the Year might also do it.

>>43975125
I don't know. It seems weird though.

But given unlimited supplies the amount of beer you can make is limited to how many barrels you have. Meanwhile the number of barrels you can make is limited by the number of coopers you have.

Also, beer is good for drinking. Barrels are good for washing, hauling, and making lye.
>>
>>43975125

6 gallons seems pretty small, so maybe that makes sense?
>>
>>43972466
Lich is trapped but able to talk and cast magic (spells cannot escape the sphere, but players don't know that); lich proceeds to do a lightshow while bragging that he'll end the world before they even knock down his shield -
"you'll never blow out the candles in time, hahah - oh shit did I say that?"

show of increasing desperation as the players blow out the candles, then the sphere collapses and "hah, it's on, motherfuckers"

maybe leave the body of the guy who sealed the lich in there 1200 years ago at the entrance, along with a hastily-chiseled tablet describing how the lich was safely locked away. he even took the time to chisel "huuuuurgh" at the end as he died
>>
>>43974959

>Must have
Ultra Tech, Basic Set
>Good to have
Bio Tech, for good drugs and wetware
High Tech, in a TL9 cyberpunk setting you might want to use exclusively TL 7 and TL 8 firearms, they're more diverse, better balanced, and more realistic.
>>
>>43975125

In the village I grew up an old man used to make barrels as part of maintaining the tradition and as a hobby, showing up on cultural and historical events and stuff like that, he also made barrels for a small whiskey distillery I think.

A surprising amount of work went into each barrel, each stave (the vertical wooden bars) had to be made from straight, properly aged, high-quality wood, in his best barrels it even mattered where the oak had grown, because it had to give the whiskey the right taste. Each stave had to be carefully shaped and polished to fit together with the rest and remain waterproof, and so on.

It's time consuming work and good craftmanship, sure, far harder than building a table or a chair, but that price does sound a bit excessive to my ears. GURPS is so rarely wrong though, that unless someone finds a better source for the historical price of a barrel I'd be willing to go with that price.
>>
>>43978027
Actually, this is quite the case. I was straight looking at something you could put 1-2 of on a horse and 6 gallon barrels are about 60lbs each, 2 being rather manageable. Increasing the size fixes the problem substantially.

>>43978992
I remember watching a Dirty Jobs on making them, and yes! Very skilled work!

I think the issue may come down from a different direction: I was looking to be a beer merchant character, I discovered that a wagon and horses is like $4700! So I was thinking "just haul less beer on a single horse", but it clearly runs into a cost efficiency problem. Guess this is why beer was made locally and not hauled long distance!

Seem I need to be another kind of merchant!
>>
>>43979270
Well that is the whole idea of a travelling merchant, you only transport things that are good value for the weight and which cannot be made anywhere easily.

Ideally cheap where you buy and rare where you sell.
>>
DF question here: what the fucking heck am I supposed to do with a Scholar?
>>
>>43979771
Educate the people!
>>
>>43979771
Give him a learning stick.
>>
About Pointless looting and slaying - it is said that secondary characteristics are not affected by primary stats, but what about damage? Is it affected by ST?
>>
So for my setting I need the ultimate skirmisher.
TL is 8 and I want like light infantry, able to move and attack switfly and preferably unseen.

Im thinking high Stealth, and good camo skill to avoid detection. What else?
>>
>>43980026

Yes, since damage cannot be directly modified if not by ST or Striking ST.

The other cases are attributes modifying secondary characteristics which could be bought up directly (DX -> BSpeed; ST -> HP; HT -> FP; IQ -> Will, Per).
>>
>>43980039

DX; BSpeed; BMove; high Dodge; Ranged Weapon Skill.
>>
>>43980026
Yeah, because that's not a secondary characteristic in the way the HP, FP, Will, and Per are. Those are all stats – they start out at 10 and can be bought up/down, they just are *also* influenced by a main attribute. Damage and BL, though are determined wholly by ST.

Also you roll vs. HT, DX, and IQ a lot (the latter two in the form of skills, the former in the form of not dying). Without damage or BL, there is literally no way for ST to matter; you roll against raw ST in, what, the occasional quick contest when jostling for something?

>>43980039
Don't neglect the skills you'll need for your gear. While you might be more of a lone ambush fighter, you still have a team, and as the spearhead of the group, you need to relay back to them important bits when scouting ahead. Electronic Operations (Communication) ensures your message can get through. Further, this increases the default for EO (Electronic Warfare) and EO (Security); those are both stupidly important if you're expecting to go into an area where high-tech security systems will be in place. EO (Surveillance) would let you operate cool shit like the portable Thru-Wall Radar. While still not super tiny, TL8 sensor equipment is getting portable, with stuff like the small 6-mile radar system dropping to 15 lb. You're a high-tech soldier, you don't have to act like you can't use this cool shit.

At higher tech levels, it becomes ever more important that you see the enemy before they see you. Get Per out the ass. Also, anything can happen, though, so a level of Luck as insurance against a stray bullet can be the line between life and death.
>>
>>43980039
If you're thinking long-term field engagements, Survival and Hiking are very useful. I also recommend Climbing, to get into good ambush spots and approaching enemies from unexpected directions. Lastly, a good knife skill with fast-draw to be able to quickly take out enemies silently.

Traps and/or Explosives(Demolition) might occasionally be useful, but they're not must-haves.
>>
>>43980496
Tactical Shooting outright says operators being lucky is not unrealistic.
>>
>>43980585

Wait what? Isn't Luck an explicitly cinematic advantage?
>>
>>43980637

>"You were born lucky! There are
three progressively more “cinematic”
levels of Luck:" (B66)
So basically, first level luck is not.
>>
>>43980701

So what does this mean, exactly?

>Cinematic, Cinematicer, Cinematicest
or
>not Cinematic, Cinematic, Very Cinematic

Personally, I'd lean towards the former, someone having godlike control over the universe and the ability to bend it towards their will once every meta-hour (even if they're not consciously aware of the fact) goes against my understanding of the universe.
>>
>>43971925

I'm gonna need a source on video related
>>
>>43980039

Spotting the enemy before they spot you is the name of the game. That means your Observation skill or Perception should be just as important as Stealth.

As a modern skirmisher, expect to be fighting at night, so a couple of levels of night vision and/or any perks which offset the penalties for night-vision gear (I seem to remember one called 'Green Eyes'). If you have an acute sense, make it hearing. Buy the work by touch technique for a couple of skills (especially anything used to repair night vision equipment). The cane travel technique from underground adventures might be useful for moving through dark areas, but is probably overkill.

(I'm assuming that cinematic skills like Blind Fighting and Invisibility Art are off the table).

As a skirmisher, you probably want to travel light. Good skill levels in Survival and Scrounging help you live off the land and make do with minimal equipment. Advantages like Temperature Tolerance, Reduced Consumption and Resistant (Disease or Poison) all make it easier to cope, although some of them might be considered cinematic or exotic, especially at high levels.

Getting lost is a hazard for anyone who goes off on their own. Absolute Direction and decent skill levels in Navigation are strongly recommended.

I'd say Traps is a pretty essential skill. You will probably need to avoid those laid by enemies and you may well want to lay some of your own. They are an effective method of hampering enemy action which can be done with minimum risk and equipment.

Operating alone or in a small group, you need to avoid fuck-ups. Advantages like Common Sense, Danger Sense, Combat Reflexes and Standard Operating Procedure perks will help a lot.

Finally, an ultimate skirmisher needs to understand his place in a battle and be able to exploit opportunities when they arise without waiting for orders. That means you need the Tactics skill.
>>
>>43980812
Desert Punk/Sunabozu
>>
>>43978551
These are pretty good ideas. I was doing a conversion of the earth dungeon from the NES Final Fantasy, but trying to spice it up because in the original the dungeon is just a kinda simple maze with strong enemies and treasure here and there.

So I'm doing stuff like adding traps, locked doors, and parkour segments for a thief in the party, some corrupted holy spots for a cleric to cleanse, a few tests of strength for a barbarian... and I might need to add something interesting for a martial artists now, not sure what. Though, Martial Artist already gets to be good at fighting, so I don't feel I need to fuss as hard over trying to squeeze in some non-battle challenges for him.

In the original, he was just rotting the earth, but for no discernible reason... The excuse I have tried to come up with is that this is a magical place where earth just rejuvenates, and it takes an incredible amount of mana to do so. This being a place where magic exists, and the laws of conservation of mana are completely ignored, I figure it's a pretty important delicate balancing act.

As for clues, in the original game, there was a few NPC bats just flying around that give a few tips, I was thinking of having an injured druid somewhere for the party to rescue, and connecting the bats back to him as his companions that he is using in a spy network.The druid + bats are the get out of jail free card if one of my puzzles is so incomprehensible, they need someone to explain it.
>>
So, don't get me wrong, I love the system, but why the hell do they not use metric as standard measurement? I get that it's written by Americans, but one would think something with conversions to higher/lower units being so simple would make more sense to use for an rpg
>>
>>43981764
Because most of their readers are 'murcans, or so they say.
>>
>>43981764

Same as everyone else, it's about accessibility.

They'd rather use a system the audience is familiar with than an objectively superior system a fraction of the audience understands. And I don't blame them. They're not the ones who should be pushing the trend.

That said, it won't break anything if you say 1 yard = 1 meter, it's close enough for pretty much all the scenarios it'll show up in, and things like range penalties are fairly arbitrary as they are. Weight is a bit harder to translate, but luckily shows up less often in rules, if you're more comfortable with the metric master race just convert your basic lift to metric through Google or whatever unit translator you prefer during character generation and go from there, 20 lbs basic lift = 9 and something kg.
>>
>>43981988
>>
Just realised there's a new GURPS book out...

It's about Sparrials. For those who aren't familiar with the old GURPS Aliens; they are like space kender, but furry.
>>
>>43983677
>kender
fuck no
>furry
fuck yes

I'm confused
>>
>>43983714
Honestly, the kender's most obnoxious flaw is that they're cute and everyone is supposed to love them. Just from the advertising blurb, it looks like Sparrials know exactly what they are and so does everyone else. They understand the concept of private property just fine (unlike "lol what does 'your' mean?" kenders), but they use theft to establish a pecking order. Their doors have locks and they protect their shit, but if someone manages to bypass them you have to admit they are a good thief and that they got you good.

Yeah, they're a race of adventure-hungry thieves that aren't interested in it for the wealth like most thieves, but honestly that in itself is not bad. They're alien. It's only bad when they're portrayed as adorable child-race that no one can bring themselves to get angry at and if you hate them it means you HAVE to have a big ol' Evil on your character sheet. That's the big sin of kenders, that built-in Get Out of Jail Free card.

They're closer to half-civilized goblins than kenders.
>>
So a st 20 and SM+1 humanoid, how to arm such for both UT shooting and close combat?
>>
>>43984332
TL? Ultra-Tech encompasses everything from TL9 to TL12^.
>>
Is GURPS Powers a good resource for a super power game?
>>
>>43984332
For melee, get a cutting weapon out of LT that has a required ST of 8 or less, increase it's SM by one then nail every single modifier you can find to it. Balanced, Very Fine, Presentation-Grade, Vibro, Superfine, Hyperdense, hell, you could even stick Monothorn on there if you were really angry. For ranged, just get a Heavy Grav Needler or the biggest Semi-Portable Beam weapon you can get at your TL. Boom. Done. Armour yourself in whatever forcefield and power armour you have access to and stop caring about literally anything on the battlefield.
>>
>>43984633

Yes. It covers a lot of stuff which is likely to come up, like interactions between different powers and getting uses from your powers beyond what you bought them for. It also has a catalogue of sample abilities, good advice on running games featuring powers and a few new advantages and modifiers which you may need.
>>
>>43984687
Cool, thank you. I'll take a look through it then.
>>
>>43984448
Im sorry, TL 10 or lower no super science.
>>
>>43984718
An ETK storm rifle in each hand.
You don't need close combat anymore.
>>
>>43984332

Similar to what is recommended for Powered Infantry (see UT p. 148).

If legality is an issue, just go for a big sniper rifle.

For melee, you want the option for impaling (to get through ballistic armour) and cutting (for use against robots), swing damage (to get the most out of your ST) and a weapon heavy enough to use your full ST. If using the LTC2 rules, go for a SM+1 hatchet with an added pick blade and superfine quality. 3d+3 (2) imp will fuck up most people.
>>
>>43984976
>ETK

You cannot just assume online only cut content any sane GM will ban.
>>
>>43984976
>>43985077

What is ETK I cant even find anything on google at this point, and SJG own link has apparantly died.

>>43984976
I was actually thinking these warriors could look at normal humans assault rifles and say "Cool SMG."

>>43985011
Considering its a super-fine axe its perhaps some treasured hereditary weapon, ala how the katana was to samurai, etc.

Fluffwise they were genetically engineered by the big bad empire to live on the most hostile worlds and as an experiment in creating super warriors ala space marines.
However the fall of the empire had this backfire hilariously as they became savages roaming the few worlds they were populating.
When the empire invaded to reclaim the planet they got gunned down by these big hulking brutes with really big guns.
>>
>>43985238
>Electrothermal-Kinetic Slugthrowers (TL10)
>
>"ETK" guns are similar to both liquid propellant guns and electrothermal-chemical weapons; they are the final evolutionary stage of conventional firearms before a complete transition to electromagnetic weaponry. Instead of relying on the chemical energy of the propellant, they use a powerful electrical charge to vaporize it. The expanding steam and plasma accelerates the round to a very high velocity. They use more energy than an electrothermal-chemical weapon, but less than a gauss gun.
>
>All TL9 conventional slugthrowers can also be available in TL10 ETK versions. They propel projectiles at roughly twice the velocity of a conventional slugthrower. ETK slugthrowers get double their normal piercing damage, double the range, and have 1.5 times as many shots of a conventional-propellant slugthrower. Two-handed weapons (rifles, shotguns, SMGs, etc.) also add +1 to Acc. They are also twice as expensive. They have the same variable velocity setting as LP slugthrowers. Other statistics are the same.
>
>The grip or stock of an ETK slugthrower incorporates a removable B cell (for pistols) or C cell (for SMGs, PDWs, shotguns, rifles), or D cell (for larger weapons) to provide the electrical pulse. Each provides enough power to fire 10 magazines worth of ammunition.
>>
>>43985396

Whoa there, that is some powerful shit!
>>
>>43985451
Yeah, if ETC/ETK were written today, I think it'd be a much more modest increase to damage and instead enjoy an innate armor divisor. As it stands now, a simple doubling of weapon cost turns damn near anything you point at into a fine red mist.
>>
>>43985396
>before a complete transition to electromagnetic weaponry

Which is funny because even ETC guns are superior to electromagnetic guns.
>>
I admit I haven't fully gone through the pile of sourcebooks I got, but is there anything in Ultra Tech or another book that would be the equivalent to Shadowrun's Rigger archetype? Drone and vehicle control through augmented/virtual reality?
>>
>>43985451

It's also realistic with today's understanding of physics, accelerating a physical projectile will always require less energy than firing a group of photons over a distance of time.
>>
>>43985646
p. UT26. Drones are teleoperated IQ 0 machines and encompass basically everything as long as it has a computer installed that can handle the Complexity 3 software required to handle autonomic functions (i.e. a flying drone moves under its teleoperator's control but needs the software to handle stabilization, wind compensation, etc.). Controlling them with A/VR gives a +1 to rolls to control it (p. UT24) and precludes the need for big, bulky physical controllers that intricate machines would need to fully control (it's also less obvious).

Though it's not official, I included a new skill in my cyberpunk game: Electronics Operation (Teleoperation). It works like the Environment Suit skill; your physical skills are capped while using an environment suit/teleoperating. I did this so riggers would be unique specialists, because without it, anyone could, RAW, teleoperate a combat bot and use their full skill with Karate, Guns, etc. with only a piddly -2 for familiarity. EO (Teleoperation) allows riggers to specialize in drone use and be significantly be better than other characters at it.
>>
>>43985783
Personally I like TL10 but with ETC projectile weapons instead of portable lasers. Only have lasers on things with generators.

Also by default Ultra Tech scopes on a laser rifle let a conscript reliably hit a man in the chest at the maximum physical range of the weapon. Bit far out for me so its easier to just make portable laser guns highly expensive and rare.
>>
>>43985980
Thanks bb. I'm not the GM of our group, but I'm the Shadowrun refugee from earlier, and In trying to help us preserve as many of our characters as possible. GURPS tech is... different, to say the least, but I think we'll manage. Just didn't see the drone stuff.
>>
does gurps have rules for putting a cat in the microwave for two minutes?
>>
>>43986055
Not as long as Kromm's the line editor.
>>
>>43986043
UT, being one of the first splats for 4e, really suffers in terms of organization and finding shit.
>>
>>43986196
>suffers in terms of organization

Ever read a Shadowrun book? This is downright EXCELLENT by comparison.
>>
>>43986106
what about rules regarding sexual encounters?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-04-16-33-48.png (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-04-16-33-48.png
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>43986599
Well, I did just come across rules for fucking in space suits...
>>
>>43986231
To be fair, that's kinda like saying nobody in the West could conceivably be poor and hungry since North Korea happens to be a thing.
>>
>>43986677
True, hence "by comparison". I see where the complaints come from, but head over to /srg/ and grab a copy of Data Trails. Using only the table of contents and index for guidance, find the rules to make an AI character.

They're not listed in the ToC and there is no index.
>>
>>43986641

>A lone user can use First Aid on himself by...

Typo: Clearly it should be "can use First Aid and Erotic Art".
>>
>>43986641
holy shit can we just share some cool GURPS rules?

I liked that they had drug rules on stimulants, depressants, and psychedelics.. though I think id probably alter the psychedelics one a little bit
>>
>>43986641
what the fuck is that shit on page 196 it looks straight stupid as hell
>>
>>43987089
It's the bush robot from page 203.

I think there was some kind of concept floating around futurist circles in the late ninties of a fractal robot. It got added to THS and then to the main GURPS line.
>>
>>43987089
The tree? Seems like it's a medical Bush Robot, as described and also illustrated on page 86.
>>
How hard would it be to use GURPS Space and Ultra-Tech 3e with 4e Basic Set? I ask because I was able to get my hands on them for like $2 and would like to get some use out of them. For the record, I'm currently learning 4e for the purposes of GMing in the near future. Read Lite and most of the basic set, working on memorizing the most relevant bits. I'm assuming the answer will be "Possible, but bad idea with a lack of experience", but I'll ask anyway.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-04-17-07-38.png (3 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-04-17-07-38.png
3 MB, 1440x2560
>>43987089
Page 196 illustration for reference. >>43986925
Feel free. I'm on my phone, so I don't have much ability to find stuff easily. When I'm off work I'll post more, I guess.
>>
>>43987089
>>43987170

Actually, it's from a book published in the eighties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_robot
>>
>>43987189

Ultra-Tech 3e will likely not work with 4e. Weapons alone changed considerably, so all those weapons you get in UT 3e just won't make sense in the context of 4e.

Space is a setting book, so it should be fine, although it'll be outdated science-wise. Hell, Space 4e is already outdated because it doesn't recognise ice giants are distinct from gas giants.
>>
>>43987189
The old Space book is probably perfectly useable.

The old Ultra-Tech seems likely to take a lot of effort. Although just printing a copy of the new weapons tables would do the hardest pt of the conversion.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-04-17-13-52.png (1009 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-04-17-13-52.png
1009 KB, 1440x2560
Cool rules part 2: These ammo types are meeting all of my standards!
>>
>>43987231
>>43987243
Thanks. I'll probably use 3e Space then. Maybe I can make use of the 3e Ultra-Tech by finding more 3e books in the future. They're cheap as hell, so it might be fun to try sometime, just to see the differences between it and 4e at the very least. From what I've read, the consensus seems to be that 4e was a logical improvement and cleanup 3e, but between GURPS editions the changes are relatively minor compared to D&D (which is what the group I'm in is used to; 2e and 5e mostly)?
>>
>>43987189
Ditch UT3e.
There are a bunch of other Space 3e books, like the Space Atlases, Terradyne and stuff. Most are p good.
>>
>>43986734
Or a paragraph in the magic splat which literally references itself, page number and all.
>>
Does anybody else keep forgetting hit locations are technically optional.
>>
>>43988173
No.
Also always make it clear a shot that isn't either called to be on a random hit loc or aimed at something is shot to the torso.
>>
G U R P S
U
R
P
S
>>
>>43986043
>Thanks bb. I'm not the GM of our group, but I'm the Shadowrun refugee from earlier, and In trying to help us preserve as many of our characters as possible. GURPS tech is... different, to say the least, but I think we'll manage

Sounds like we have a project, guys.

Shit, what kind of magic are you using?

>>43986231
>Ever read a Shadowrun book? This is downright EXCELLENT by comparison.

Oh good, it's not just me. I couldn't even get into Shadowrun because of that
>>
>>43990341
We haven't decided yet, but we're probably leaning Ritual Path magic because everyone likes it best and we had no mage to begin with.

And yeah. I could get my head around it and understood what was going on, but none of the rest of my group could (and I'm not the GM, like I said, so it's... problematic).
>>
I"m trying to stat up a race of merpeople for a fantasy game in the future. I'd like them to grow legs when on land, whats the best way of handling this? At the moment I'm thinking of giving them Alternate Form (Uncontrollable "On Land") but I'm not sure how cost it. I'm also open to other suggestions.
>>
Hey, can anyone help me out real quick? I was hoping to get a bear companion for my character with the ally advantage, but I was wondering if I get points for the negative IQ and if that counts towards the disadvantage limit. Basic attributes in general are confusing when doing this
>>
>>43990457
I'd say Shadowrun's magic system is closer to GURPS' default system. Shadowrun mages know certain spells and anything they don't know can't be cast at all, magic is cast quickly, and for an FP cost that varies by spell.

That's just for spellcasting, though. Then you still have to figure out how astral perception/projection, summoning/binding, and all the metamagics work.

Also,
>no mage in Shadowrun
You're fucked.
>>
>>43990874
Believe me, I know we were fucked.

And yeah, summoning/perception/metamagics/etc were all throwing a wrench in our plans. None of us really liked the default system that much from what we've seen of it, so we were willing to throw it out and do something new entirely.
>>
>>43990772

>I get points for the negative IQ
You do. But keep in mind a lot of those points will go straight back towards buying up Will and Per to "normal" levels.
>if that counts towards the disadvantage limit.
Disadvantage limit only applies to players, GM-controlled characters like for example animal companions don't have such limits.
>>
>>43990703

That seems overly complicated, the easiest way to do it would be to just give them Amphibious and increase water move and treat the leg/fin thing as flavor, there aren't really any major side effects of going from land to sea or vice versa are there?
>>
>>43990703
Either an alternate form or the amphibious advantage. I'd say AF is a better fit for a shapechanger.
>>
>>43991166
Not really. I was toying with idea of increasing their water consumption when on land, giving them Dependency (water, daily) or something like that.
>>
>>43991166
>>43991169
They're not necessarily shapechangers. I was trying to have a way for them to be able to adventure with landlocked races and not get murdered on sight for being giant fish monsters.

Amphibious seems more in line with what I want. I'd like to keep the water dependency though, you can apply limitations to disadvantages right?
>>
>>43990874
>I'd say Shadowrun's magic system is closer to GURPS' default system. Shadowrun mages know certain spells and anything they don't know can't be cast at all, magic is cast quickly, and for an FP cost that varies by spell.

This is true, but from what I've been able to get out of SR is that some of the fluff magic/spells resemble RPM more than standard magic.

So maybe a hobbled form of RPM would work out well?

>That's just for spellcasting, though. Then you still have to figure out how astral perception/projection, summoning/binding, and all the metamagics work.

I don't know how it works in SR. What's the problem?
>>
>>43991504
I think you could do something like give their ability to breathe underwater Temporary Disadvantage: No Legs.
>>
>>43991528

Nope, No Legs is not a disadvantage if you're swimming underwater.
>>
>>43991506
The main thing about RPM is that it's different enough from SR magic that the lore will have to change to accommodate it.

The other issue with it is the increased system mastery required to use RPM, and combined with a lazy GM, it might not work out so well.

>I don't know how it works in SR.
I'm more well-versed in SR than in GURPS, so I'm not sure how to convert almost any of this, but here's how they work in SR.

Astral Perception: You can shift your perception to "see" the astral plane, which includes non-manifested spirits, auras (all living things have one, but magical beings' are "brighter"), and signatures of any recently-used magical abilities (spells and adept powers, primarily). Any non-living object appears grey and washed out.

Astral Projection: You can leave your body for a limited amount of time, and travel through the world at a very rapid pace (6,000km/hr), and use an alternate attribute set based on your mental attributes to fight other astral forms/spirits. Not all spells work in this form, and if you stay outside your body for too long (which can happen if somebody moves or hides it), you die.

Summoning Spirits: You try to coerce, flatter, or force a spirit to obey your commands until the sun next rises/sets or it runs out of tasks owed, with the number of tasks it is willing to do depending on how well you performed (and how badly it performed) on the summoning test. You also take stun damage (similarly to casting spells). More powerful spirits are more difficult to summon.

Binding Spirits: You spend some money on ritual materials and then attempt to more permanently control an already-summoned spirit, removing the sunrise/sunset limitation. You take substantially more stun damage than summoning.

Spirits fill an archetype, such as Fire, Water, Man, or Beast, and exist primarily on the astral plane, though they can materialize on the physical plane to use their powers on non-astrally active characters.
>>
>>43992503
>>43991506
As for Metamagic, it's a bunch of different abilities with heavily restricted access that modify various aspects of magic, and become more powerful the more you progress. They're actually probably fairly easy to convert. Some examples:

Centering: Receive a bonus to test against taking stun damage while casting spells/summoning/binding spirits.

Flexible Signature: Change your astral signature to look like somebody else's.

Masking: Change your aura to look non-magical/more/less magical/that of a different kind of creature.

Shielding: Receive a bonus to counterspelling

Honestly, this is one of those times when I'd say it's probably easier for everyone involved if you just stick with the specific system, because it'll be a huge hassle to get all this stuff hammered out, especially with a lazy GM, which >>43990457 implies.

Alternatively, you can use RPM with some tweaks, but then a bunch of lore will probably be invalidated, and because the setting is the pretty much the whole appeal of playing Shadowrun, you might lose more than you'd gain.
>>
>>43992503
>The main thing about RPM is that it's different enough from SR magic that the lore will have to change to accommodate it.

Point, point.
>Astral Perception:

Psychometry, accessability, magical

>Astral Projection:

...a very odd Alternate Form.

>Summoning Spirits:

Ally, summonable, morph and/or cosmic, accessibility (for the bribery), magical, Nuisance Effect. Basically take the advantage and dump points into it. Rearrange points to make your spirits.

>Binding Spirits:

Do the thing. If you succeed pay in points to buy the ally permanently, as a minion.
>>
>>43992753
>Honestly, this is one of those times when I'd say it's probably easier for everyone involved if you just stick with the specific system, because it'll be a huge hassle to get all this stuff hammered out, especially with a lazy GM, which >>43990457 implies.

Actually, doesn't sound like a lazy GM to me at all. Anon states he's the only one who groked the rules out of his group.
>>
>>43993159
This anon's right. To be fair, I also had a 4-month head start on all of them. Our GM isn't lazy, it was just our secondary GM... who's picking up a full time job AND more college and doesn't have much time. We're going back to our original GM.
>>
>>43993159
>>43993203
My mistake. My group struggled (with 4e) because only one other person bothered reading any books, and assumed the same scenario.

>>43993134
Huh, that was easier than I thought it'd be. Any idea how much that stuff would wind up costing though?
>>
>>43993309
>Huh, that was easier than I thought it'd be. Any idea how much that stuff would wind up costing though?

Depends on the GM, like I'd require cosmic for summoning spirits, while others might let you get morph, while others might say modular abilities.

number one, you have to figure out how strong you are and how strong the spirits are in comparison to you, point wise.

Let's say you're doing a 400 point campaign, just to make the math easier for me.

Let's say then that spirits aren't as strong as people, at least, not the ones you can summon. So, 75% strength for a limit of 300 points.

Your Ally has morph, that's 100 points. You got 200 more points to drop into skills and stats.

at 75% strength, that a base cost of 3 points. It's constantly there, because it's summonable, so that's x4 and +100% respectively. Unwilling and Minion are -50% and +50% each, canceling each other out.

So we're sitting pretty at 15 points for a '200 point' spirit (remember, 100 is taken up by morph.)

Then slap preparation required (assuming it's a ritual?), nuisance effect (if I'm reading stunning right) and accessability because of the influance and skill rolls needed. I'd make it a number of rolls, and keep track of the margins of success.

I'm sick and sleepy so I'll try to get back to you tomorrow.
>>
>>43993309
You might also want to check the forums. There have been several threads for converting Shadowrun over the years.

Here's a google search to get you started: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=site:forums.sjgames.com+shadowrun
>>
>>43993914
24 points, not 15. Percentage of final or changing the number multiplied.
>>
If I were to stat a dozen or so furry racial templates, would looking up similar entities in bestiary (3E, community, etc) as a basis be a good idea?
>>
>>43995202
For figuring out what physiological advantages and disadvantages they might have, sure.
>>
>>43995445
Well, I was mostly thinking about their relative SM, ST scores, that kind of thing. Or I could just wing it and use less realistic approach, but make them more.. balanced from a player's perspective. I'm still reading through the forums though.
>>
>>43995727
Depends on the sorts of animal-people you're representing, I guess. I assumed by your use of the word "furries" you mean the basically-humans-but-with-fur-and-appropriate-animal-parts that seem typical of furry fandom shit.
>>
>>43995202
>>43995727

Generally speaking, furry races tend to be only vaguely similar to the animals they are based on. Cat furries are rarely sadistic idiots; they are proud, aloof and mysterious. Wolf furries don't have rigid social hierarchies; they are badass noble-savage loners. They are based on what humans use the animals to represent, not how the animals actually are.
>>
>>43998025
Thanks, that does sound reasonable. I've come to a similar conclusion after reading some threads and tinkering with traits.
Basically, a combination of flavour traits like Fur, some mechanically useful ones like Perfect Balance, and Attribute scores to emphasize the feeling (like agile cats). And a bit of SM difference: I've decided that huge real-like range of SMs will be a balancing disaster, so just +/- 1 or 2.

>wolves
I intend them to be scholarly wizards
>>
>>43995202
https://sites.google.com/site/chandleyprime/gurps/gurps-tmnt

This may or may not be helpful.
>>
>>43995014
>24 points, not 15. Percentage of final or changing the number multiplied.

My bad.

Also, if you can summon more than one spirit at a time, throw ally group on to it.

Binding it is getting rid of all the limitations, and morph and paying the full, yet reduced, ally price.
>>
File: 1372857586412.jpg (205 KB, 780x1367) Image search: [Google]
1372857586412.jpg
205 KB, 780x1367
They forgot an important style in MA

Skills: Acrobatics, Running, Jumping

But they do have all the rules for it in the same book
>>
Hey GURPSgen.

I'm wondering if there's an easy way to translate a concept to gurps. I'm looking for a magic system where you draw symbols for certain entities and they then give you gifts or powers.

You can't change those, but you could invoke another entity to change the powerset after taking the practical time to do so.

Essentially you get temporary advantages with a pact modifier, and they're modular to your basic "pact making" advantage to curb explosive costs.

But I figure the concept of spirit-binding is pretty normal in fantasy so perhaps there is an easier way that someone's worked out already?
>>
>>44001340
Powers cost what they cost (unless you say otherwise) just take an extra charge on for unusual background being able to do it (unless everyone in the world can do it) decide on a list of powers from what gods let players switch around and account for price differences with thematic disadvantages.
>>
>>44001217
>Meanwhile
>There's savate and canne de combat in MA.
>>
>>44001340
Sounds like Modular Abilities limited to specific sets of abilities.
>>
File: cover_lg.jpg (453 KB, 616x815) Image search: [Google]
cover_lg.jpg
453 KB, 616x815
So I was googling for different gurps related utilities/cheatsheets/spreadsheets, when I came across a forum post asking if there was a spreadsheet/utility that could essentially replicate the old style traveller random chargen but in gurps 4e (pic related).
Has this been done? Further googling only led to that post
Could it be done?
What is the best way for me to go about doing this on my own? Stacking random templates?

Thanks for the help
>>
Alright m80s, need some quick tips.
I'm setting up a gimmicky drake fight, next part spoilered because my players occasionally browse /tg/.
Trying to give it a unique Beam innate attack (basically beam breath). There's a feature I have trouble putting into crunch. Suppose I want to make said attack not just hit a target, but first trace a path on the ground and cause ground to erupt with %damage% on the following turns. You know, the shit Seath did with his crystal breath, and Amygdala did with its laser. How do?
>>
>>44002968
>Has this been done?
Not that I know of.

>Could it be done?
Yes.

>What is the best way for me to go about doing this on my own? Stacking random templates?
A base template to represent your character's first assignment, and lenses for the following ones, probably.
Although honestly, I'd just use Traveller's, and have the players convert over.
>>
Opinions needed, from Ultra-Tech.

> Stealth Exoskeleton (TL10): This lightweight exoskeleton can be concealed under heavy clothing, such as a jacket or trousers. It can only be worn over skimpy clothing.

> [Regarding vacc suits:] These vacc suits do not inflate. They incorporate a mechanical counter-pressure (MCP) system which uses elastic layers in direct contact with the skin to prevent the expansion of gases and water vapor in blood vessels and tissues.

Would you allow a player to wear a stealth exoskeleton over a vacc suit? I haven't found the definition of "skimpy clothing" in the book, but a skintight spacesuit, I think I'd let go on that front.
>>
>>44004469

Yeah I'd say that would be fine. It won't be stealthy of course, but I'm sure that would relax the requirements.

It may be that some of the profile reduction comes from basically being a compressing exoskeleton, and too much fabric underneath would mess with the tolerances, but I think it'd be fine.

You could probably get exoskeleton vacc suits that combine the two together.
>>
>>44005088
Yeah, I know about the stealth issue. My character's a spacer not used to regular gravity, the exoskeleton helps compensate. And my budget is limited to get a real suit.
>>
>>44004469
At TL10, I would have assumed all exoskeletons would include a sealed body glove like layer that would serve the purposes of the MCP system anyway, even if simply to help deal with injuries, and so would just require a proper helmet type breathing apparatus and maybe hassle you on properly securing it to the exoskeletons inner layer (so a check, or getting the work custom done).
Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.