[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wodg/ World of Darkness General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: Sleepy Hollow.png (941 KB, 1000x710) Image search: [Google]
Sleepy Hollow.png
941 KB, 1000x710
What's the most "out there" character you've ever played? Not personality, but backstory. Who had the strangest origin, where the rules or assumptions were bent over backwards to allow the concept to work?

Have you ever had anyone who was put to sleep and woke up several decades later? Maybe a Mage from a Faerie Glade, or a Changeling who escaped 100 years after they left? Or maybe a year before they were taken?

Maybe you've played an alien, or the child of a Spirit? A spontaneous Embrace, of a corpse that died and became a Vampire with no real Sire (or an Ascending One who used that one Elixir)? If you've never done anything like that, have you ever thought about that kind of concept?

For all WoD books
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php
Onyx Path Schedule
http://theonyxpath.com/schedule/
Custom Character sheets
http://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/
Character-portraits from Pandora
http://gangrel.minus.com/uploads
Visit the wiki
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
For creepypasta
http://creepypasta.wikia.com
For diceroller (and guessing about other people's games)
http://rpgroller.com/nwod/index.php

Last thread >>43810386
>>
I read some basics things about World of Darkness and something seemed odd to me. Doesn't the way damage is handled mean that people who are already covered in damage take virtually less damage from things that inflict more extreme kinds of damage?
>>
>>43849885
how do you get that out of it?
>>
>>43849722
I once had an NPC in the works for a nHunter game that was gonna be a Malkovian with split personalities; one was a gay dude who sold weed and hung out around a college campus at night(the character's original personality), the other was a straight chick who did masquerade-risking graffiti all over the city.

I ended up not using them, though, and almost recycled the idea for a V20 game a few months back; only the guy was a male nurse who was still in the dark, and his 'sister' emerged pretty much any time kindred got involved. I dropped that, though, because it became clear I'd basically only ever play the chick in any interesting situations.
>>
>>43849885
No.
If you've taken, for example, 3 bashing, your health levels look like this(assuming owod or nwod with 2 stamina)
>[/][/][/][][][][]
If you then take 1 lethal, it becomes this
>[x][/][/][/][][][]
If after that, you take 2 aggravated, you get this
>[*][*][x][/][/][/][]

The most extreme damage type is always shoved in on the left side, shoving less extreme damage types over to the right. You heal injuries right-to-left, starting with the least extreme damage type.
>>
>>43849897
If the track is already full of bash, won't bash damage and lethal damage both do the same thing(upgrading wounds to lethal)?
>>
>>43849983
If the track is already full of bashing damage, you're unconscious. Whether you take more bashing that converts to lethal or take straight up lethal, your head is now being stomped in the corner of the elevator, you're fucked.

If you're worried about how it affects NPCs, don't. Once an NPC has their health track filled with bashing, they're unconscious, at which point they can be considered out of the fight/dead anyways.
>>
Do you think the concept of "Supernatural Lethal" is going to continue to be a thing in 2e or do you think it'll be dropped?
>>
>>43849761
No, the Primordial Dream is the section of humanity's collective unconscious that represents our primal fears. Without humans there would be no Primordial Dream.
>>
>>43850269

The Primordial Dream seems to be the equivalent of the Appendix of the Temenos, in both form and function.
>>
>>43850224
What, you mean "magic weapons do Lethal damage to things like Vampires"? Why wouldn't it? I like the idea of some stuff being downgraded unless it's magical.

>>43850022
>If the track is already full of bashing damage, you're unconscious.
If you're a pussy, sure. Cool dudes like Sin-eaters don't, and neither do Prometheans. Most everyone else can at least roll Stamina to keep awake.

>>43849983
If you're full of Bashing, anything done to you is Lethal, yes. If anything that means you take more damage from certain things. If you track is
[/][/][/][/][/][/][/]
And you take a punch for 2B or get stabbed for 2L, you'll look like
[X][X][/][/][/][/][/]
>>
>>43850381

It doesn't seem like Werewolf had a lot of it, so it was just something I was wondering.
>>
>>43850381
The point is that this is a circumstance where a punch and stab do the same amount of damage, which seems weird.
>>
>>43850446

A single punch and a single stab being just as threatening to an unconscious, defenseless, beaten and already bruised human doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. At that point, the attacker isn't trying to incapacitate, it is going for actual murder. At that point, unless time is of the essence, I'd be all right with the Storyteller shifting it to a narrative description of the killer slitting their throat or doing a hammer-strike and shattering the skull.

If it really bothers you, have lethal attacks deal extra damage to incapacitated targets.
>>
>>43850480
Well, if you're ACTUALLY unconcious as opposed to just beat to shit but still on your feet, it's a coup de grace action (I think WoD might call it a finishing blow or something) and that's just your full dice pool as lethal damage.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPP1e7hOyik
So would Ludwig be a Hunter who became a Beast, or what? If this is the case, then how would his Life and Legend be related to his Compact and Conspiracy?
>>
>>43850310
Apparently you can reach it by traveling from the language part of the Temenos.
>>
so lets say i bought the nwod core, what could i run off of this alone? is call of cthulu a better pick
>>
>>43850815

What would you want to do with it? You could use it for modern horror with little difficulty. Especially if you want the horror to be something that you can do something about, even if it costs you.
>>
>>43850821
just tell me which wod game i need to buy
>>
>>43850837

I can't tell you that until you tell me what kind of game you want to run.

If you want a recommendation, though, I'm a big fan of Demon: The Descent. Techgnostic Espionage where you play as defected KGB agents, but instead of running from Russia, you're on the run from an unfeeling, supremely powerful, incomprehensibly massive machine that permeates reality.
>>
So you get approached by a Geist depending on how you died, what happens if you die in a way that piques the interest of more than on Geist, say you get stabbed to death by a maniac with a banana, do you become a Torn or a Forgotten?
>>
>>43850857
vampire or werewolf

with mostly improv gm'ing
>>
>>43850857
>you're on the run from an unfeeling, supremely powerful, incomprehensibly massive machine that permeates reality.
"He does not understand..."
>>
>>43850880

I'd go for the new Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition book. Has everything you need to run a Vampire game, and is compatible with The God-Machine Chronicle and all its related systems.
>>
>>43850904
what would one need god machine chronicals for? do NWOD games run a lot smoother than cwod
>>
>>43850931

God-Machine Chronicle is a rules update for the base NWoD system. NWoD is a lot more internally consistent than CWoD - instead of having sixteen different games with almost but not quite the same rules, you have one base rules system that you then plug in splats like Vampire, Demon, Werewolf, et cetera into. Makes it at lot easier to run cross-factional games, and also means basic things work the same between game lines.
>>
>>43850815
You could run just about anything, with enough creativity (and even more with the upcoming 2e core). Better than Call of Cthulhu, although really the corebook isn't all that useful for a first time ST, since it doesn't really have a "monster manual" sort of section, other than a few ghosts and ghost powers.

>>43850861
The Geist has nothing to do with how you died. I am however curious how you'd stab someone with a banana.
Geists are also rare, so it's doubtful that two would follow the same person around, but presumably you'd choose between them and your rival would get the other.

>>43850931
>>43850953
Rules update AND an actual chronicle book that gives suggestions for running a game that features a giant deity computer secretly manipulating the world.
>>
>>43851001
>I am however curious how you'd stab someone with a banana.
Roughly the same principle as stabbing someone in the back with a corncob.
>>
>>43851020
I'm curious how that would work as well. Though a corncob is pretty stiff, so I could see it as, like, really blunt damage, like falling on a piece of wood or something. Bananas are squishy.
>>
>>43850888
Is God essentially Giygas?
>>
A Fianna street crazy ghouled to a Follower of Set via blood tainted heroin.
>>
>>43851184
That line was a reference to Metro 2033.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3qYPIArexQ
The 'Universal Language' of the Angels reminded me of the Dark Ones telepathy.
>>
>>43849722
Dear OP...
Weirder backstories would be the mortals character who was raised as the chosen one by a cabal of deranged bee worshipping cultists. Maybe the changeling whose durance was an incarceration in "fun prison" by the fun police, which he escaped by levelling the entire realm through inciting the other inmates to construct skateboards out of their own flesh and bones and do sick grinds which destabilised its firmament. Based on metaplot observations it took over a year for the fae to dig it's intact titles out of the wreckage.
>>
>>43851213
>cabal of deranged bee worshipping cultists.
NOT THE BEES!
>>
>>43851213
I meant weird as in nonstandard. Not just something that's silly or out there, something that involves breaking some 'rule', like a character pulling a Rip Van Winkle.

>Based on metaplot observations it took over a year for the fae to dig it's intact titles out of the wreckage.
What? Metaplot observations?
>>
File: 2015-07-29-30p54[1].jpg (310 KB, 792x1152) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-29-30p54[1].jpg
310 KB, 792x1152
>>43851213
>inciting the other inmates to construct skateboards out of their own flesh and bones and do sick grinds
>>
>>43851069
Not if you freeze them.
>>
File: 1448620143526.jpg (107 KB, 790x593) Image search: [Google]
1448620143526.jpg
107 KB, 790x593
What would Anderson's Compact/Conspiracy be in a game of Hunter?

I'm not asking about Alucard because he's been done to death.
>>
>>43851367
Gee, what Conspiracy would the crazy magical Catholic be part of?

Seriously, though, in terms of "close enough", he's a Malleus Maleficarum Hunter with a bit of Thaumatechnology. The Nail of Helena is a Relic, obviously.
>>
>>43851389
Fairy nuff. I honestly found Him, Tubalcain and Rip to be more interesting than Alucard.
>>
>>43851435
Alucard isn't a character, exactly. He is a plot device that everyone works around.
>>
>>43851435
I like Alucard as a... I don't want to say "plot device", but he's definitely not a character in the traditional way. Tubalcain is neat just because he's so suave, though he's also forgettable because he had less screentime than even Zorin and Doktor.

As an aside, Alucard is an Anakim Beast, Rip is HtV vampire. Schrodinger is an Immortal with a few Proximus gifts or the Gifted merit. Specifically Space Gifts.

Which taken out of context sounds cool. SPACE GIFTS.
>>
>>43851471
On an unrelated note, the Church and the University of Bloodborne seem to represent both of the main aspects of Cheiron (Alteration and Understanding)
>>
File: Vampires 2.jpg (2 MB, 1600x2500) Image search: [Google]
Vampires 2.jpg
2 MB, 1600x2500
What's the best way to bump off low gen fangbangers in oWoD? Ghouls with machetes and blowtorches? Some kind of car bomb?
>>
>>43851278
I considered a changeling whose backstory had him basically destroying a fae realm in a manner never intended by its creator rather than simply escaping his durance fairly unusual.

By metaplot observations I mean that people abruptly stopped reporting sightings of its agents and there was no bounty being offered to loyalists for the sort of changeling it liked/hated until 18 months after.

It's formerly terrifying servant armies were as far as anyone could tell reduced to a couple of squads.
>>
>>43852004
If you actually mean low gen: Fuck it and jump town. Not worth fighting.
If you actually mean shitty gen: Car bombs are great, provided your ST will allow that method.
>>
>>43852116
I meant low gen as in low numbers, m8. I ain't a dummy. I just need to waste some fuckers. Intrigue's all well and good, but I'm wondering if manipulating a bunch of thugs and "urban youths" into fucking these dudes up will even work.

My estimate is that they're between 9th and 7th gen, travel in a posse, and are Gangrel as fuck. I know we could probably direct confrontation school these fags, but sometimes it pays to make some patsy fag do it for you, dig?
>>
So, I had an idea for a simple, straightforward Requiem. Heroic Circle of the Crone vs. Evil Lancea Sanctum for control of the city is the premise and I am wondering how to expand upon that and see how I can work in the other covenants as well as the Changelings and maybe Hunters too.
>>
File: Sailor_moon_melvin.jpg (42 KB, 283x213) Image search: [Google]
Sailor_moon_melvin.jpg
42 KB, 283x213
>>43852166
>Requiem game

Sorry for the typo, I was in a hurry and forgot to complete my sentence.

But seriously, how can I expand on this concept?

Pic unrelated except to express how stumped I am. Writer's Block sucks.
>>
>>43852166
Oh and we are using 1e rules because that is all I have at the moment.
>>
Got a bit of a question to you regarding the Gurhal (OWoD werebears): old breedbook (and the new Changing Breeds for W20) says they don't overly appreciate material things and that as a result most of them live extremely modest lives devoid of luxury. Mechanically speaking, they aren't allowed to take any but the lowest levels of Resources at character creation, if at all.

Now, I understand being above material things. I understand being modest. They're all spiritual and shit, I can respect that.

But completely forsaking the accumulation of wealth? Are there no rich werebears? Surely, these folks (what with all their spirit knowledge) understand that money is not, in fact, by itself a Wyrm-thing? That it's possible to be rich and not a greedy Pentex Captain Planet villain? That good things can be done with money?

The old breedbook shows the Gurhal use the character of the bears from the Goldilocks fairytale (or at least, their version of it) as iconic of how a werebear should behave - generous, hospitable, compassionate, etc. But don't they see that generosity and hospitality are a lot easier to provide when there's what to be generous WITH? Yes, their gifts allow them to feed or protect a small group of people, but a financially powerful society of werebears could use their resources to create soup kitchens and shelters. They could build schools and hospitals for the less capable. Hell, hospitals: the werebears are THE HEALERS OF GAIA. Nobody in the world is as good at medicine as them! Think of the billions they could make off of selling good, healthy medicine to people! Medicine that would save lives AND take away potential customers and their money from exactly the types of corporations (i.e. Pentex) which would sell them evil Wyrm-tainted Big Pharma poison. And that money could be used to help more people.

(cont.)
>>
>>43852221
And yeah, it's possible that Pentex or the Wyrm might eventually get their tentacles around any big financial endeavor like that, but surely the Gurhal haven't all fallen so deeply into Harano they don't even see the point in TRYING to protect such investments from them?

I know that the Changing Breeds are behind the time and that the fact they're all too hidebound for their own good is a running theme of the gameline, but if the Glass Walkers, a tribe of fucking WEREWOLVES (the poster boys of making stupid hidebound decisions they know are going to kill everyone) can understand that there's good to be done off of fighting the corporations on their own terms than surely the breed who is MOST PROUD OF BEING EVERYONE'S SENSIBLE BIG BROTHER should be able to? Down-to-Earth means being reasonable, not necessarily living in the woods and not showering.
>>
>>43852221
>>43852243

This shit is why I stick to nWoD. That and the god-awful metaplot.
>>
>>43852252
You checked-off the OWoD because the werebears are stupid?
>>
>>43852221
Look at it this way: they only hold onto the most base of moneys and things because any of their their accumulated wealth typically is spent on other people. Donating to refugee funds, hospitals, cancer research, and all those other things that fit with their worldview.
>>
>>43852221

>Money not a thing of the Wyrm
>implying owning parts of the world isn't a prelude to their destruction

>LaughingBanes.jpg
>>
>>43852910
Money's a thing of the Weaver. Greed is a thing of the Wyrm. Owning a part of the world is a prelude to organizing it. It CAN become a prelude to destroying it, but then you're dealing with the corruption of the purpose.
>>
>>43852943

I'm just messing with you. Money's not inherently Wyrm-ish, but the cynical 90s vibe that oWoD tapped was distinctly anti-capitalist in its oWoof manifestation.

There isn't really anything that isn't Wyrm-tainted somehow, though; it's a cosmic principle.
>>
>>43852004
Between "Vampire Faggots" and "exposing more skin than they should at their age" this sounds like someone's granpa talking about anime.
>>
>>43853314

I bet you're just a japanese high school loser and empatize with the vampire faggots, faggot
>>
>>43852221
The idea of benevolent Gurhal running some kind of healthcare and soup kitchen enterprise to take care of the needy mortals is hilarious.

Remember that in the oWoD, everyone's waiting for the imminent End of Times. There's no focus on "helping the needy humans" because there might not be any more humans tomorrow.

Living in what a mortal would consider to be poverty could represent what the Gurhal believe is a way to prepare for their role in the apocalypse.
>>
>>43852281
Not >>43852252 but I'm assuming he means the way that characters are restricted by their origins in certain ways. Werebears not being allowed to take high Resources is like how a Halfling who was raised completely by Elves knows how to use a Halfling Sling Staff even though they've never seen one before.

>>43853355
I'm just saying, if someone can only think of two characters for a category, but added them just to complain about faggots, and is bitching about girls not covering themselves, it sounds like the same kind of old man complaining that most people probably heard as they passed the biscuits yesterday.

Then again, talking about "BADASS" just sounds like the kind of anime fan I went to high school with, who reads scans of manga with lots of fighting manga with superhero antihero characters, the kind you wouldn't know is an anime fan but would talk your ear off about the Hellsing manga or High School of the Dead. Weird bit of nostalgia, but I'm guessing anyone in their mid to late 20s knew people like that.
>>
I'm thinking about running a Werewolf game on F-list. I wouldn't have cared for Werewolf before 2e, but of all the WoD games I'm forcing myself to get interested in running, Woofy gives me the most idea. I really want to go through Pack Creation. Something about cooperative character building gets me really excited.

I also think Werewolf might be good for a more drop in game style, since you can justify people not showing up by saying they were busy doing something else, and unlike a D&D game they're not on the move and unlike a normal game you don't need to catch them up on social stuff because Spirits don't give a shit about politics, and usually don't scheme for months.

One problem is I can't really start the game with ideas, since I don't know what kind of pack the players will be, or what their Territory is like.

Any advice for running Wherewuff? Should I just go in session one just as unsure what the game will be about, and see what they come up with before I make up the chronicle, or should I at least make a city for them to dick around in to give them focus? (for once) I don't want to tell my players THIS is what they'll be playing to make their characters around that. But I do wonder if some structure might be useful.

>>43853416
Holy shit, what's up Rick? It's been ages.
>>
>Joining Roll20 game
>Nigga goes on for TWO. HOURS. about operatan and whether shooting at an Angel would constitute Cover breach
Fuck. This is only going to get worse isn't it?
>>
I made a new Promethean for first ed nWoD.
It plays on the themes of failed attempts at the elixir of life.
I just thought it would be interesting to have the Demiurge be the promethean.

Also wondering if their bestowment is too wonky.
Bestowment: Tyrannical will
Once per scene a Trismegistus can spend one willpower to cast a transmutation instead of up to his willpower rating in pyros. Meaning a willpower 4 Trismegistus can supplement up to 4 pyros for a single transmutation. Using this ability deals one aggravated damage as you rip the Pyros from your infused veins with your will alone.
>>
>>43853721
But what does a Trismegistus look like? What are its Disfigurements? How does it's Disquiet present itself? And what are the tells of its Wasteland?

You'll need to answer all of these questions and moreover explain the origin of the first member of Trismegistus Linage.
>>
>>43853788
Alrighty sorry if my write up has grammatical errors and the like.

Trismegistus
Perfection, An endless nearly impossible task. In its pursuit much is lost but nothing more than time itself. For imperfect beings cannot grasp the true concept nor will they with their finite lifespan. Thus the first hurdle in this journey would be to cure this condition and rise above it and claim the apple. But with such mundane understanding can one even touch the bark of the tree?

This lineage are the children of dreamers, of the adventurous, and the dangerously insane. And worse yet they are oedipusian in nature because each Trismegistus is born from a demiurge. Consumed by the idea of undoing their own mortal existence for something grander they combined moonlight with nightshade and swirled it into a concoction designed to kill the weakness they perceived and walk a path to perfection.

Trismegistus are born from the folly of their own hands.. Or so many are lead to believe for when a Trismegistus well into its pilgrimage how do you create another of your kind when it must be their desire for a miracle salve and their hands that must make them so? The true origins of this lineage are impossible to ascertain for every account that says some famous alchemist, chemist or herbalist was the creator an older tale arises of a Promethean guiding his hand to this outcome.
>>
>>43853864
But what is known for sure is the Prometheans who walk this earth with harden veins of light and bloodshot eyes of crackling pyros are a lineage onto their own. The Acidus humour guides them but most would say drives them to ever greater heights of perfectionism. Most Trismegistus would never admit it but their existence is far from the ideal of whatever madman thought he could claim pyros for his own. They are hollow and just as much an imitations as the next promethean despite their protests to a perfect body and mind. Many not knowing better themselves only gleaming over their existence from research notes left by the demiurge they once were. But the act of creation is one of passion and sudden lightning strikes. Whatever divine fever claimed them before the burning pit of pyros set in their stomachs and lashed free from their screaming mouths is lost.

Trismegistus walk the earth ever pushing the limits be it their bodies, minds, or the tenuous ties to their false soul. Many ill advised Trismegistus try to claim leadership roles in mortal communities only learning far too quickly that their would be followers can’t help but scheme and plot their downfall. Just like so many mysterious expeditions in search of a grail or fountain the Trismegistus faces pitfalls born of mutiny and rebellion. But when these time come do they try to show they are paragons or use their “perfect forms” to crush down their disquieted underlings. Many wouldn’t claim to be
>>
>>43853872
stubborn or hot headed but it is evident by even the calmest of their lot they want more as their emotions blast across any would be throngmate’s brand with tides of ambition and impotent anger.

Progenitor
You do not wake up in a ritual circle with a leering crone or the cold slab sparking with cabals of captured storm.Slouched over a malaria tent’s makeshift curative station in the jungle, Or the floor of some budget broken community college’s second hand lab, Many enter with broken lives and mortgage debters at the door asking for a stranger’s name. You only read journals in research notes once your pyros fused mind remembers what the scribbles even mean. The desperation and thirst for the serum to end all serums was this mad man’s call and you are his holy grail, You were his golden apple. But you are nothing more than a hollow pit filled with confusion. Its then as you stare like a child into the world that if you are lucky your true progenitor shows themselves. For to be left without any answers but the failed notes of a lunatic dreamer you would never be able to one day spin the same fate for another. You would be twice curse without the knowledge to complete your own pilgrimage.

Did the scheming promethean who tricked you into damnation tell you what he had done? Did he hide it only giving you the vaguest hints as to you to procreate your existence? The truly blessed are taken as apprentices to understand the folly their stolen hands wrought. While the easily angered lash out with rage against an undeserved fate. But you are the Icarus earth born from the demise of someone desiring only the sky itself. Do you not deserve this reward for their sacrifice?
If not you then who?

Mythology speaks of so many figures sought immortality from the emperors of the Qin dynasty to the countless Sophi seeking philosophers delving into alchemy.
>>
>>43853721
>>43853872
>>43853864
If you want an example of a decent homebrew Lineage look at the Wulgaru from last thread.
>>
>>43853878
But the sad truth is you are not immortal even that dream was struck from them during their quest and you now must attain perfection before your time is lost just as theirs was.

Nicknames
Flamels, Jade veins, Amrita, Tyrants

Appearance
The process has been discovered and lost countless times leaving variants on the formula not just by the mystical pyros that infused it but by what the creator desired. A scientist looking for the panacea to cure all ailments might have been drove to the breaking point of ingesting countless diseases marring his body in hopes that without
>>
>>43853890
funding or subjects that this was finally it, while the man grinding diamonds to mix with moonlight brewed nightshade tea. Normally the ideal of becoming perfection results in traits of “superior beings” with golden hair and blue eyes, or the shimmering aura of chinese immortals. But they are disfigured just as any promethean. The golden hair looks like gold slivers and the eyes burn with unearthly light. While the shimmering aura grasp and claw at the air as if the forged soul demands liberation from the false creature it is trapped in. Most have veins of pyros that burn brightly as they were injected with a concoction of the fire while others have a burning sun for a heart. Not matter the case they have flawed perfection. Many who were old trying to reverse the blight of age only partially succeeded given a teenager stark white hair and crow’s feet for the promethean. Some hoped for physical perfection but their body twisted and contorted leaving huge rivets of muscle against rows of scrawny flesh. Worst yet are those who wished to combine the traits of the animals restorative properties finding themselves with lizard skin or transparent flesh.

While their disfigurements are hidden they might be able to hide their imperfections leaving only the pristine parts of their body to shine like a bodybuilder always hiding his short arms with a crossed stance or large sunglasses for a would be models sunken eyes. These flaws become the greatest source of embarrassment and rage when the Trismegistus disquiet surfaces.
>>
>>43853900
Humour: Acidus

Element: Water/Fire (Ambitious, Couragous, Vengeful, Selfish)
Liquid fire animated them and in this conflict of impossibilities resulted in their failed ascension. It leaves them demanding companionship no matter how toxic and destructive it is to the small empires they have built it is all lost in a fit of rage.
Refinements:
The call of the Titan to relish in the perfection of his form is common so is the urge to subjugate his inferiors with the refinement of stannum (As many claim it should be.) but many take the approach feeling no other is up to the task of dealing vengeance against a chosen group’s antagonists be they his throngs enemies or the westboro church at a pride parade.
>>
File: Just like my Japanese animes.png (114 KB, 624x324) Image search: [Google]
Just like my Japanese animes.png
114 KB, 624x324
>>43853696
The book says doing direct God-Machine fightan stuff never breaches Cover unless you do it in public.

>>43853882
I should write up a more coherent, properly laid out version of the Lineage template I made for Nana Natsu.

>>43853890
>>43853878
>But the sad truth is you are not immortal even that dream was struck from them during their quest and you now must attain perfection before your time is lost just as theirs was.
So are these people Extempore or something like that, or what? How would you go about continuing your Lineage when your Lineage comes about as accidentally killing yourself and turning yourself into a Promethean? You talk about scheming, but how do they procreate? Do you basically just put someone onto the path to becoming a Promethean before they even die by giving them the hint to make this elixir of life and kill themselves? How do they pass on their Azoth? Do they just wait around watching until someone accidentally kills themselves and then breath life into them? Do they tend to stick around?
>>
>>43853914
Those with enough self awareness take to Mercurius in an attempt to delve into their own soul and bring it to the perfection needed for the new dawn. Few among the Tyrants would bring themselves to the refinement of gold as pretending to be or hiding from mortals is the last thing they need or want. Not to say a savvy Trismegistus wouldn’t but many would openly mock him for it. Cuprum is most likely the last stop in the long road for Trismegistus. The fear alone of finding their self diluted lie to be just that might be too much. But for those brave enough to face themselves and their imperfect bodies might be able to attain the grail long ago falsely promised to them.

While many would exalt the Titans or the Pariah Flamel for his mastery of form none would dare mention the darkest desire. The one thing each holds true, they wish to be more than human. Many realize along the way that the new dawn is the right answer. The real chance at being the perfect being with what they have learned in this tormented form. But Centimani begs a different answer, it tells the Tyrant what he really could do if he gave up that delusion for the truth. Warped flesh harder than steel, claws able to rend steel beams, a form as malleable as it is deadly. All Trismegistus know why another would become a fiend. And it scares them deeply they might have taken the right path.

Quote: “Why won’t you listen…”
>>
>>43853943
Disquiet:
Most who casually look onto the Trismegistus see a cocky bastard be it of some disgusting new fad of bravado among the youth or a headhunter wall street suit. They concoct whatever story they can to disdain the individual. Soon they start buffing themselves out more in front of others and challenging any who question them Worse yet are those filled with the pride the promethean carries with him. They feel he is the leader they need the guy with the right answer. But that just leaves them questioning what they really know and how they could ever live up to perfect man. Eventually their hero worship turns into full blown idolism with stalking and obsession Meanwhile someone has positioned themselves as the rival to the promethean plotting his downfall and how best to show the world his true colors.

When it gets too severe the maniac zealot following him knows he has to remove the Promethean from the world just so he deal with his own failings. This is when the would be mutineers starts gathering his suicidal and competitive community together under one banner.
>>
>>43853952
Wasteland:
At first domestic dogs fight each other more openly while perfectly healthy pets grow meek. Soon the foxes bury more and more food with that they leave countless rotting carcasses for the over breeding insect to fester in. The squirrel leaves bloodied rivals on his mound of horded nuts showing his superiority. within a few months the area is stripped of all game and filled with territorial predators ready to defend their slowly decaying land. After the stubborn creatures die of starvation the insects swarm and breed in mass consuming plant matter and animal carcass alike. The whole time water refuses to be contained smashing bridges, dams, and other obstacles, fires lick happily and greedily on the dying husks of vegetation until everything is a charred slurry of burnt debris and flood water.
>>
>>43853930
Manipulation of promising scientest researching miracle cures. Actively sabotaging people close to their goal prompting them to more desperate acts.
>>
>>43853721
>>43853864
>>43853864
>>43853872
>>43853878
>>43853890
>>43853900
>>43853914
>>43853943
>>43853952
>>43853960
I feel like this is way too damned long to read, and you should have made it into a pdf (download cutepdfwriter and save as pdf) or used a googledoc.

>>43853971
But how does that work? It's a very hands off method, while passing on the Divine Fire is a very hands on act. I haven't really read all of your lineage because it's very wordy, but stuff like that seems a big concern in terms of how things work.
>>
File: Moon Mist.jpg (419 KB, 920x673) Image search: [Google]
Moon Mist.jpg
419 KB, 920x673
>>
>>43854069
>>43854069
Well its not as wordy as the book's descriptions.. But yeah half way through I released I was looking rather foolish posting all this.

I would assume the divine fire passes during the period you are stalking the individual and planning your eventual infusement of pyros into his Medicine, steriod, or skin cream at the right moment before it would kill him.
>>
>>43854144
Oh, you mean you actually have to sabotage things?

I feel like that's... eh, it REALLY strengthens one of the complaints I've seen about Promethean, that the world would be better off if every Promethean either chose to die or killed themselves. These guys aren't just passively trying to make themselves whole and giving dead bodies new life, they're ACTIVELY killing people.

Each one of these guys has to be a murderer. Other Prometheans have to choose to be a murderer.
>>
>>43854242
Yeah thats the hitch in the design. I wanted Demiurges that became Prometheans. But with how it goes now they have to have loose morals.

And the solution of it being more like a path where they think they are discovering the way to the elixir by making the people join the supernal night takes a tad bit of freedom. Just as much as saying they are murdering asshats.
>>
>>43853649

Pack creation is the time to sit down and take notes. Every little part of the pack that the players help create is a free idea to use. Don't look that gift horse in the mouth, just go with it and make it your own.

If you want structure, go for that parts that aren't going to be altered too much. Sketch out a few districts in the city, and have them hang around a single question as their root, something like "Will the district be gentrified?" or "What's up with the bundles of leaves shaped like men at every street corner?" If your players are down for answering one of your questions and basing themselves in that particular district, awesome. If not, you've got some territories for other packs.
>>
>>43854279
I think it would be better as a sort of Extempore. Accidental Prometheans, as opposed to a full Lineage. Which of course means they may have no hope of a New Dawn, and be unable to progenate because it's impossible to recreate the circumstances of their own Creation, or maybe they just have to finally come to grips with the fact that they're effectively impotent and barren as a Milestone.

Which frankly is an interesting musing on humanity in the first place. There's the implication that to become Human you need to procreate, because that's an aspect of life and humanity, but coming to grips with an inability to bear children is also an aspect of humanity that many have to deal with (as is the realization that you don't want children even when everyone around you says you should; I wonder if r/childfree for Prometheans is more or less like r/atheism with babies instead of Christianity?)

>Supernal night
Saturnine Night
>>
>>43854336
Damn it, I should maybe attempt to wake up a tad before discussing tabletops but I have a habit.

Yeah maybe dropping the child creation is a good way to go about it. Really doesn't fit with the rest of the stuff anyway. Or leave it there for morally corrupt Prometheans to follow. But its not a child of "your" lineage but one forged by the Demiurge itself.
>>
>>43854399
>Or leave it there for morally corrupt Prometheans to follow. But its not a child of "your" lineage but one forged by the Demiurge itself.
Well, that would basically make it a new Lineage. And essentially how you have it now. Like I said, I think following the guide of Extempore is a better way of doing it.
>>
What are some non-horror influences on your WoD gaming and worldbuilding? I jut finished reading a short story, "The Story of the Bull" by Robin Kish, that's about a group of girls that witness their friend being kidnapped by a wild white bull with pale blue eyes that just appears one day, and how they forget about the incident over time as they drift apart. It's as WoD as a literary fiction story can get without diving into magical realism, and I thought it was neat.
>>
>>43850446
That's because >>43850381 is wrong.

[/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/] taking 1L would become
[X][/][/][/][/][/][/][/]/
[X][X][/][/][/][/][/][/]

You take one damage, pushing one off the edge, making you take 2L when you really took just one 1L
>>
This is gonna sound like a stupid question, but are there rules for creating your own Seemings?
>>
>>43855122
Winter Masques.
>>
>>43855143
Oh good, I was wondering how easy it would be to make a Seeming of Dwarves (Craftsmen, tasked with making trinkets to appease their Keeper during their Durance, the reason for their imprisonment being that they stole something their Keeper considered precious.)
>>
>>43855196
That's just what Wizened are for. The thing about Seemings is that they're really, really broad. For virtually any idea you can think of, you could save a lot of time by finding the Seeming that already covers it and just using that (making up a new kith at most) rather than creating a new one.
>>
>>43855246
Well bugger me. Now that I think about it Dwarves are covered by quite a few of the Wizened Kiths (Miners, Inventors and Smiths)
>>
>>43855315

Wizened's my favorite Kith, mostly because it's one of the most diverse of them all. I always did want to play one, never got the chance.
>>
>>43855336
>most because it's one of the most diverse of them all
Right. Not because their Dexterity enhancing blessing is game breaking as all fuck almost regardless of what you're trying. Nope.
>>
>>43853930
>The book says doing direct God-Machine fightan stuff never breaches Cover unless you do it in public.
It does? So you can sling around Exploits and thoroughly implausible Embeds all day every day, specifically when it's fighting an angel, the guys you specifically don't want to know you're a Demon?
>>
>>43855359

I had honestly forgotten about that, it's been a while since I played Changeling. Not too surprised, though, since anything touching Dexterity is going to be broken considering that most people shoot guns in the setting.
>>
>>43855452
It actually specifically states that the blessing doesn't affect attack rolls, but Dexterity still touches upon so many other essential gameplay actions that anything that enhances it is going to break.
>>
>>43855525

One day there's going to be a White Wolf game that doesn't lean way too much on Dexterity for its own good. One day.
>>
>>43855107
Is it?
Oh, shit, you're right. My bad. 1B would also wrap around, though, wouldn't it? I'm a bit coffee deprived at the moment.

>>43855390
Let me rephrase: The book says doing God-Machine fightan stuff is never a Cover breach unless you do it in public or the thing you're doing would cause a Compromise regardless.

You don't get Compromises for fighting Angels or breaking Infrastructure (or, depending on your ST, for killing to further your Agenda), you get it for being a Teetotaler and deciding you need a beer, or cursing people out as the polite old granny.

>>43855525
How so? Other than attacking it's not like Dexterity is all THAT much more useful than anything else. Certainly not all that much more useful than any other Blessing. In terms of "traits that get used the most", I'd say the Fairest have a leg up, since by and large World of Darkness is a social game, and they get to boost Presence, Manipulation, and Persuasion dice pools.

As an aside, that's also why I prefer Fairest over Wizened. They take social penalties and I hate that. I dislike that their curse is "you're a jerk". (And yet they have the Chatelain, which undoes that)
>>
>>43855821
>As an aside, that's also why I prefer Fairest over Wizened. They take social penalties and I hate that.
Right. Not because you're an ugly awkward fucker IRL. Nope.
>>
>>43856036

I ain't gonna say that about someone I don't know, but I am going to say that I think social penalties are fine and good, especially since these games are so social heavy.
>>
File: sad german sheperd.jpg (56 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
sad german sheperd.jpg
56 KB, 600x450
>>43856036

I know that feel
>>
>>43856768
>Not 'Sad Truefriend Beast.jpg'
shameful.
>>
>>43856808

A True Friend Beast: the most unstoppable being.
>>
>>43856808
Now I'm tempted to look for a Beast game and make my character's Horror some a dog, but describe it as an eldritch abomination so it isn't immediately obvious.
>>
>>43857837
>>43857653
"Beast" the Changeling group. "True Friend" the Kith. They spend Willpower for other people and are basically super loyal pets. The art is a big guy bulldog guy with a spiked collar and a baseball shirt giving the thumbs up. It's great.

>>43856036
Nah. I'm more plain than anything, I just like the themes of Fairest more than the Wizened, who are the other "generic" group, and I do like playing pretty social characters, so lack of ten again is frustrating. The Wizened Contracts are also bad compared to the Fairest Contracts. Not just Vainglory, but Separation, too.

Ironically the one time I actually did play Changeling, I played a Wizened Soldier turned coffee shop owner and surfer. I probably would have gone with Fairest Soldier if I was allowed to, but he was a pretty guy who was socially a bit slow and snippy who was the guardian of a The Library, which was more like a jungle. Had illuminated manuscript face, and all his scars were torn pages in his mein and scars from the bite of an animal in his mask. He was too old to really escape back, but he used his companion's memories--a young boy turned into a princess--to help find the way home to San Diego and rescue the princess.

Then they lived together over a coffee shop and Ashley Haight failed to notice his roommate's crush until ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶ ̶g̶o̶t̶ ̶f̶r̶u̶s̶t̶r̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶b̶o̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶M̶U̶S̶H̶ the gender bending princess up and left.

It was fun. Although there's only so many times you can have a conversation with a stranger at your coffeeshop while eating macaroni out of a coffeepot because there's no ST for the venue before a game gets stale. Still, I kinda enjoyed playing him. It was fun. And kind of amazing that he's the only time I've actually gotten to play Changeling. I wish other people would run games...
>>
>>43858567
other people run games they just don't invite you faggot-kun
>>
>>43858720

I never invite pdfaggot to my games
>>
>>43858720
>>43858765
People I know, who want me to run games. What makes you think I'd even want to join your games?
>>
File: indigo child.jpg (54 KB, 608x405) Image search: [Google]
indigo child.jpg
54 KB, 608x405
Let's do this again.

Worst/most over-costed Hunter Endowment.
(Elixir. Just... Elixir. Nothing good here, aside from thematically. Also Artifact. FUCK. Artifact. Both thematically - lol everyone has it somehow - and in what you get per dot of Status. Hunter is one if not the most per-definition combat/investigation-themed splat so being utterly fucked cost-wise is a much bigger deal than in other places).

Most over/under-costed Unchained ability.
(Raw Materials. Download Knowledge).

Least clarified Core rule.
>>
>>43858810
all zero of those people, right?

you whine here all the time about your lack of play faggot-kun

it's okay to admit you're a loser
>>
>>43858890
Why don't you like Elixir or Artifact?
The main problem with Elixir is that you only get one drink per session (in 1e rules). But that's the same problem with many Advanced Armoury things as well. Mortal Remains' 2e rules fixes this a lot, making it so that you can have a number of dots of Elixir each session equal to Status+Elixir merit. Artifact's problem is it's just boring.

But in terms of cost/benefit, Knights of Saint George have it the worst, since their powers are three different 1 to 5 sets that are still bought as if each dot was the same. So 1, 3, and 2 in each of them is still the same as buying 6 dots. Including the fact that the 5th dot costs double. Made learning new Goetic Gospels difficult. You kind of had to stick with one or you were fucked.

I also don't like Rite of Shulpae, because I feel it's lazy on the design part. It's just Dread Powers.

>Least clarified Core rule.
Do empty levels count when purchasing merits. I know how people rule it, I know how I rule it. I don't know what the book wants me to do.

>>43858990
About as much as loser as you are (especially with the way you stalk me on an anonymous imageboard). I also don't really complain much about not having games. I have complained that if I wanted to be in a game I'd need to run it, since no one else will. Forever ST is a common complaint.
>>
Man, people are shitting on Aspel more than usual today.
>>
>>43859143
>Implying it's more than one guy
>>
>>43859143
>>43859491

pretty sure it's just me

i just don't like him, so when i see him post here i shit on him
>>
>>43859545
>it's okay to admit you're a loser
>>
Hey, /wodg/, how would your vampire characters figure out where belial's brood is shacking up in the city?

Do you use mortal contacts? What weird kinds of contacts might be able to spot them?
>>
>>43859068
>I also don't like Rite of Shulpae, because I feel it's lazy on the design part. It's just Dread Powers.

It prefer it that way, because it opens it up to all the new Dread Powers they publish in future books instead of a rigid set of five or six powers that will languish in this one book that exists as a rump to HtV 1e while 2e is being developed. I think the way they have it designed now means the Faithful can remain a viable conspiracy well into the future of the brand.

Can the Knights of St. George say the same?
>>
>>43860006
A Dragon might be able to gauge areas in the local Shadow where death, chaos or other dark spirits seems to be congregating and those would make good sites to check out.

Otherwise, it really depends the local Forsworn are up to. If they're causing trouble and leaving a trail then you have cop contacts, occultist contacts, morgue attendant contacts. Or even just scene kids who've noticed the more troubled youths in their school have begun hanging around with this weird older girl, like college age, and doing 'odd satanic shit'.
>>
>>43860217
Related question:

How much info do you guys allow Contacts to give? I've never had a clear idea of what is too much, considering its a single roll.
>>
>>43860458
Well remember with Contacts it's a favor trading system, they'll give you what they have but they might charge you something in return, so how much you get will depend on what you can offer.
>>
>>43859068
1e or 2e?

In tabletop 1e, yes, you buy each empty level.
They fixed that in the NWoD MET 1e; merits are divided into graduated and flat cost.
Graduated Costs is essentially anything with increasing amounts that does something at each level. These are characters by 'to' in their specifics (Resources 1 to 5).
Flat costs are just that; you pay for the highest dot (so Striking Looks 4 is 8 XP).

I can't think of a single game i've played in that used the empty dots rule though.
>>
>>43860094
Anyone can remain a viable conspiracy. You don't need new powers. My problem is that Dread Powers aren't really intended for players, and most of them aren't even INTERESTING when used by player characters, especially a lot of the 1e Dread Powers that are 1-5 of on effect that gets 1 to 5 additional dice. There's also that whole "you'll have to do it yourself" thing that I hate about a lot of 1e supplements, where there's a good idea but the ability to actually implement it is left to the group.

Other examples are any time you're allowed to purchase Numina, like with familiars or Fetters in Geist, because they're not really "balanced" and many of them rely on weirdness that the original thing didn't have to deal with. What I'm saying is that half the Dread Powers wouldn't really work as Endowments without some refluffing.

>>43860629
I mean 1e. 2e it doesn't matter.
>In tabletop 1e, yes, you buy each empty level.
I've never seen an official clarification on this, just a lot of people telling me how it is.

>I can't think of a single game i've played in that used the empty dots rule though.
A lot don't, though some MUSHes do, usually because they give you 300xp or whatever and make you build the character up from scratch without using standard chargen rules of dot allocation.
>>
What sort of Beast would a fox-woman be?
I'm having a hard time picking one out of the various families....
>>
>>43860847
Looking at my book, it's right above the XP table, stating you must pay for all intervening levels, right at the 3 dots to 5 dots XP cost thing.
>>
>>43860960

Depends, what's the fox woman's deal? If you play up the deceptiveness, Eshmaki could work.
>>
>>43860847
Wait, there are good WoD MUSHes?
>>
File: some men.gif (4 KB, 118x162) Image search: [Google]
some men.gif
4 KB, 118x162
>>43861000

No, but you can lie to yourself into thinking the MUSH you're playing is good
>>
>>43860990
Good question... I was thinking about going for the divine punisher fox-woman.
>>
What's a MUSH?
>>
>>43861112
The "looking from above raptor birds" one sound like that.
>>
>>43860847
>What I'm saying is that half the Dread Powers wouldn't really work as Endowments without some refluffing.

And yet the section for creating your own Endowments specifically says to use them as your base.
>>
>>43860987
I'm assuming you mean the LARP book? Unless I and everyone else I've talked to somehow missed something really obvious.

>>43861000
I said MUSHes, I didn't say good MUSHes.
Online chat games are for three types of people:
>The ones who just want to typefuck as vampires
>The ones who get off on griefing and don't want to LARP
>The ones who delude themselves >>43861108 because "it's just as good as a real game, right... right?"
I don't think I've ever seen a MUSH with adequate ST coverage, many of them have dumb plotlines, XP growth is so ridiculous that chatting in character means in two months you're a God, relationships go from meeting to fucking to married to broken up in a week, and whole groups of players are only there to ruin everyone else's shit because they know there aren't enough STs to care about legal or social repercussions for backstabbing someone or fucking them over.

>>43861177
That section is also really crappy guidelines and suggestions. You're basically using one example of a thing I hate as justification for them doing the thing I hate another time.
>>
File: faithful of shulpae.jpg (58 KB, 625x473) Image search: [Google]
faithful of shulpae.jpg
58 KB, 625x473
The only thing I've ever been able to think of regarding a certain Hunter group.
>>
>>43861130
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUSH

It's a form of online text-based medium, sort of like a chat room like IRC. But instead of moving from chatroom to chatroom, you can move more 'naturally' for lack of a better term, as the rooms are 'interconnected' and you're connected to a character object that moves around.

So you might be in a room that is set up to be a bar; you could go Out to the outside, or Up to the atrium.

MUSH is one of many codebases derived from MUDs, with a more social or RP focus. WoD is a very common MUSH theme, with games as simple as 'here's the dice roller' to games as complex as 'here is an automated chargen for EVERY supernatural type we are using' and in between.
>>
>>43861216
No, the tabletop book. Pg. 35, right above the XP cost chart. I also googled it up and a developer had explicitly meant that was the intended method for TT per WW, as he wrote some Promethean Merits reflecting it.
>>
>>43861135
Yeah but they're birds
>>
>>43861216
>You're basically using one example of a thing I hate as justification for them doing the thing I hate another time.
No, I'm pointing out the obvious contradiction in your thinking. If OPP didn't want Dread Powers to be used by PCs then why steer toward them so many times? The Faithful, The Promethean Brotherhood and then custom Endowments. It seems like Dread Powers have become the new Numina and yet they've kept Numina as well.
>>
>>43861216
MUSHes also often function as replacements for tabletops if you can't get anything local IRL or anything through another venue. You can find some lists of WoD MU*s at mudstats.com, hit browse then sort by WoD at the top.

YMMV on best, as what the other anon says is often true. But you can have good experiences. IMO, the biggest problem is most MU*s do not have a focus: they allow for EVERYTHING in the same city. So you'll have, on a typical OWoD MU*, Cam/Anarch/Sabbat all in the same city, alongside Traditions/Technocrats, alongside Garou and Fera, and often Dreaming Changelings and Demons. And you have no focus because you can't build any focus for one or the other that will allow the intended 'cross venue' aspects of the game.
>>
>>43861225
>>43861130
It's probably an important distinction to note that when I'm talking about "MUSHes" I'm not talking about actual MUSHes, just chatrooms on websites that run big MMO/LARP style chat games. To move rooms in those you just click on the other room on the side pane, or make a new channel.

Wanton Wicked, Fabula Rasa, Tarnished Reflections, that kind of thing. I've only been on one actual MUSH, and that was The Reach.
http://thereachmux.org/wiki/Simon_Pascal_Dresden
Website seems to be dead.

>>43861239
...really?
Got a screenshot? How has everyone I talked to missed that?
I have always assumed that was the intent, but I've always ignored that.

>>43861281
They do it sometimes, but it's clearly a "here there be dragons" sort of thing.

>>43861301
That's the third group.
>>
File: snip.png (98 KB, 645x331) Image search: [Google]
snip.png
98 KB, 645x331
>>43861322
Here you go. The highlighted part. Also look at the Ushebti Merit in Promethean, which explicitly calls out the XP cost of the flat merit.
>>
>>43861258
They don't have to be. Their shtick (or, better, one of their shticks) is being all-seeing, which is a very divine quality. If you want someone to fear retribution, I'd use one of these.
Or look at it that way:
Giant and/or overwhelmingly powerful? no
Water/depth/drownung? no
Creepy crawlies in the dark? no
>>
>>43861322
As someone who's played on JavaChat and AddonChat based nWoD games since the Moderated Chats on WW's website (from which all these sprang) I can answer any questions, starting with this:

>Wanton Wicked
This game has been around since the Mods and been rebooted at least four or five times now. The admin is a notorious autist who will up and just decide to scrap everything because of something that happened to his character (yes, he plays on the site he admins). It's 'active' right now, but on life support.

>Fabula Rasa
Some good games, but it's pretty much dead right now. Maq, their only remaining ST, is going to launch a sci-fi GMC game next month but other than that it's a ghost town.

>Tarnished Reflections
Dead.
>>
>>43861322
To be entirely fair, those aren't a whole lot different from MUSHes except in certain aspects of presentation (last time I played on a chat game, Wanton Wicked, not everything was consolidated in the main chat window, and you'd have to do rolls and stuff in another window).
>>
>>43861322
>They do it sometimes, but it's clearly a "here there be dragons" sort of thing.
Are you physically incapable of admitting when you're wrong?
>>
>>43861386
And some WoD MUSHes.

Fallcoast: A reboot of The Reach; big XP, all the splats for 1e NWoD, some GMC rule integration

Eldritch: NWoD 2.0, Vampire/Werewolf/Demon/mortals.

Reno: NWoD 1.0, Vamp and Werewolf

City of Hope: OWoD Revised, ALL THE THINGS

By Right of Blood: OWoD, unique in that it is a Sabbat-only focus

Masquerade: Revised, MOST OF THE THINGS. Very small, very old

And many more floating around or in development (Final Nights, updating Masquerade to GMC compliance, for example).
>>
>>43861434

I'll second Eldritch as great.
>>
>>43861378

I played on Wanton Wicked for a week or two, but ended up falling out of using it when my IRL group started doing more WoD games. Shame to hear that it's in such dire straights, I had some decent fun as a Mortal for my short time there.
>>
File: Dread Power Endowments.png (1 MB, 987x1027) Image search: [Google]
Dread Power Endowments.png
1 MB, 987x1027
>>43861301
The lack of focus would be fine if there were STs. It would make things feel like WoD sometimes implies it is, with supers bumping up against each other all the time.
In practice it's a Mage and a Werewolf drinking coffee IC (or fucking) because there are no STs for either venue.

>>43861355
Well fuck me.

>>43861405
If you actually read that section, they outright say that creating new Endowments is something STs might limit, and they SPECIFICALLY say both that Dread Power endowments cost more and require ST approval and work arounds.
I kind of hate that section for being both a hot mess in terms of what you can make and yet also the only time WoD has given comprehensive "build your own power" rules.

I am physically looking at that section. In fact, here, a scan of the page from my own personal book. Note what it says. How it explicitly states that you're going to have to do some tweaking. And this is only a sidebar in a bigger section that ALSO says you'll have to do tweaking once you're done with everything.

>Are you physically incapable of admitting when you're wrong?
I've literally been telling WoD LARPfag that I was wrong, and that I'm amazed I've been wrong for so long.

Are YOU going to admit you're wrong, or are you gonna keep riding my ass?
>>
>>43861576
>Can these be borrowed and used for Endowments?
>Absolutely
So, I'm not wrong and it's spelled out for you in the very screenshot you posted.
>>
>>43861604
>There's also that whole "you'll have to do it yourself" thing that I hate about a lot of 1e supplements, where there's a good idea but the ability to actually implement it is left to the group.
>They do it sometimes, but it's clearly a "here there be dragons" sort of thing.
>"In fact, any time you attempt to translate a Dread Power to an Endowment, it bears mentioning that the Storyteller needs to aid in and approve that translation."

You're >>43859545 aren't you. Just buy me dinner already if you're going to keep trying to fuck me.
>>
>>43861576
The lack of focus causes the problems of lac of STs. I, as an ST, can't reliably make a plot for Vampire AND account for Mages sticking their noses in, or anything else. Especially if I don't know all the rules for the umpteen-million splats that get put into games. Thus I won't want to ST.
>>
>>43861656
>it bears mentioning that the Storyteller needs to aid in and approve that translation.
That's superfluous to bring up because it would apply to any custom Endowment power whether it came from a Dread Power or not.
>>
>>43861705
And yet in their infinite wisdom the writers felt the need to point it out.

>>43861686
I suppose that's also true. Although I think most of the problem is that no one wants to deal with 10 to 30 players. That seems to be what a lot of the STs on replacements for the mods give up over. Most of these also seem more management intensive than LARP, because they let just anyone join, while LARPs at least have to worry about space.
>>
So. WoD General. I have a conundrum.

I'm working on a bit of WoD homebrew. I want to come up with distinct benefits to the various 'generations' of Vampires; combining both numerical Generation as well as the 'social' notes.
So Neonates, Ancillae, and Elders. I'm trying to figure out benefits for Neonates and Ancillae that aren't just cost breaks on stuff.

Any ideas?
>>
>>43862000

Give Ancillae some free Merit Dots to spend among Allies, Contacts, and Resources. If they've already got some of those from their time as Neonates, they stack.
>>
>>43862116
Maybe. I'm loathe to do 'free stuff,' but it's the easiest way. Right now, one of the advantages IS a cost break; combo powers cost less for Neonates, normal for Ancillae and slightly more for 8th Gen elders, and 7th Gens or lower can't buy combso at all. To trade, 8th Gen elders get 1 Elder power, and 7th Gens and lower get as many as they can buy.

Mostly I'm trying to think of something logical, as you can be a Neonate and be 300 years old as far as your Generation is concerned.
>>
>>43862000
>>43862183
Why not just give Elders a shitload of experience? Other than Generation, that's the main difference.
>>
Current Mage 2e status: https://youtu.be/rtOvBOTyX00?t=1m1s
>>
What's a less stupid way to deal with Hunters of different Conspiracies working together, besides some sort of joint task force thing?
>>
>>43863662

They're friends outside of work, or they're professional contacts that have a bit more leeway with their hunts. Horror Recognition Guide seems to have Cherion and TFR know each other quite well, though it's a chilly relationship, and potentially only between two people.
>>
>>43863662
Previously lone Hunters band together in the face of a threat, or out of desperation given a lack of support in the given area.

It's not condoned by the higher ups (in groups which have them), but it gets the job done better than working by yourself.
>>
>>43863662
They act as an intersect of each Hunter's associated Conspiracy with the others; they work together to solve what problems they can, and pass info through the grapevine if a higher-up in another conspiracy needs it.
>>
>>43863662
THEY

FIGHT

CRIME
>>
>>43863888
>>43863935
>>43864087
I feel like the more Conspiracies you add the more contrived it gets. A Malleus and a Cainite work together? Sure, that can make sense, they knew each other from seminary school.

But a Malleus, Cainite, Mystere, Ascending One, and a Sidearm of the Angels?
>>
>>43864250
Well then do what everyone else has done in the history of forever.

Have an event which draws them together.
You can make it as "fate" as you like, or just a massive event which they are all witness to.

Some abomination running breaking out of a secret paranormal research lab and going on a rampage through the city/town. Various factions will likely seize the footage and fight over the remains later, but right now there's people to save and a monster to kill.
>>
What happens to a spirits domain if the spirit dies like for good?
>>
>>43865059
Unless it was sustained by the spirit? Nothing much. If the place generates a lot of Essence, a new one will form.
>>
>>43865163

This.

A Spirit of Bears is not unique, at all. If it dies, there's a thousand more, and another one just waiting to be gestated on all the bear-tone Essence that the previous one was subsisting on anyway.

Killing a spirit ends its influence (ie all those bears it was controlling), but doesn't do shit to what it was spirit of (the bears).
>>
>>43865200
>>43865163
Exactly. So as a Werewolf, you generally don't need to care about committing mass spiritocide. At least not from the "what will happen to the flesh-world" point of view.
>>
>>43865260
NNnnnot exactly. Power vacuums can form, and unexpected things can fill them.

My Thyrsus took down the City-Father of Chicago (a spirit of Corruption named Capone) because he was evil and an asshole and causing a shit-ton of problems. When the dust settled, the new boss was a spirit of Wind.

Under Capone, my problems were Essence protection rackets, or Claimed politicians. Under the new guy, I had to worry about BUILDINGS BEING KNOCKED DOWN BY TORNADOES IN DOWNTOWN CHICAGO.
>>
>>43865493
I did say "as a Werewolf", didn't I?
But yeah. Political effects will happen, but I was still talking about the direct effects on the domain. What I suppose I meant to say was that Spirits aren't necessary to the existence of things. The Shadow might be, but not the Spirits within.
>>
>>43865534
The thing is, political effects will /have/ direct effects on the domain. Say you kill all the bear-spirits like >>43865200 mentioned. Yes, eventually a new bear-spirit will show up to eat that yummy bear Essence, but for a while, there won't be a giant spirit bear spamming Influence (Bears). But the local giant spirit lumberjack spamming Influence (Hunters) is still around. Next thing you know, all the bears in the area have been hunted to death.

The Shadow and the real world are one big cycle of "use Influence to make something more prominent" and "siphon Essence from it". When one part of that ecology disappears, the cycle collapses.
>>
>>43858890

I am not qualified, nor would it be politic, for me to give an opinion on Hunter Endowments or Unchained powers.

Least Clarified Core Rule is (1e) the cap on extended action rolls, now baked into 2e's system and (2e) what happens to dice tricks on Chance Dice.
>>
>>43867935
What does happen to dice tricks on chance die?

Honestly I think the Chance Die system doesn't really work with WoD's system in the first place. Any time someone's pool is reduced to 0, chances are they won't even bother to roll unless they've exhausted all their options.

Unrelated but I've got a Proximus question. How do they handle things like Reach and casting times? Can they use Rotes and Yantras? Are there any sample Dynasties, or just a creation guideline? Can you spoil either one of those? Fluff question, how often do Proximi "get lost"? How do the genetics of Proximi work? If my dad and my mum are Proximi, am I? Will I get Blessings? How do they learn Blessings, both narratively and mechanically? Are they instinctive and purchasing them is just activating an ability, or are they learned through study the way that Rotes are? Are Blessings still treated as Rotes? Do they still have the one dot surcharge?

I love Proximi. Even with 2e Wolfblooded and Ghouls, they're my favourite of the mini-splats.
>>
>>43868010

Dice Tricks fall off Chance Dice - you can't have a rote action chance die, or an 8-again chance die. The important thing, though, is that 10-again is *not* a dice trick. It's just a part of the system. Chance Dice change their target number from 8 to 10, but they *do* still keep 10-again, so when you roll a chance die and get a success you are meant to reroll it immediately as a normal, target number 8 die which has any dick tricks you'd applied to the action on it.

So, for example, you have been enchanted by some power or other to get 8-again on a particular roll, but due to prevailing circumstances your dice pools sucks, and has been reduced to a chance die.

You roll it. It's a 10.

You *then* roll it again. The 8-again you got from your power has now reappeared. It's a 9. You roll that again, it's an 8. You roll it *again*. It's a 4.

Despite being a chance die, you have beaten the odds and gained three successes.
>>
File: 457632145677.jpg (56 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
457632145677.jpg
56 KB, 720x479
>>43868085
>any dick tricks you'd applied
>>
>>43868010

A Proximus dynasty is designed with three Arcana, two of which must be from the dynasty's associated Path. They get 30 dots worth of spells to build their potential blessings from, then members of that dynasty buy those blessings as Merits, dot-for-dot, no surcharge. Blessings have to be based on 1-3 dot spells: Proximi can't duplicate Adept or Master powers. More importantly, though, they also don't get any Attainments, so no Proximus can cast at sympathetic range, or with conditional duration.

Each line also has two versions of their curse build as conditions, the normal, persistent form and a worsened, difficult version.

Proximi use their Willpower as a casting dice pool, as they have neither Gnosis nor Arcana. Spell factors apply, but they can't use Yantras. They may Reach, but as they have no Arcana ratings they don't get any Paradox-free Reach, and every Reach they use gets them one die of Paradox risk.

They may not attempt to contain Paradox either, as they don't have Wisdom, but can buy Paradox dice off with Mana like a mage (Proximi have a max Mana pool of 5, and can spend one a turn).

Rather than cause Paradox to infect the spell, any Paradox successes on a Proximus' blessing instead entirely cancel the blessing and flip the Proximus' curse into "worse" form until they resolve it.

Obvious Blessings with Sleeper witnesses provoke Paradox Risk, trigger Quiescence, and are subject to Dissonance in the same way as Awakened spells.

The corebook has one sample dynasty in it, a Thrysus-and-Fate one linked to the Mysterium. The Myrmidions (the Obrimos-and-Mind one who are servants of the Seers of the Throne) are written up in Dark Eras.
>>
We're in the odd state right now where we have as many Proximus families written up in upcoming releases as we have Legacies. Not enough of either for my liking, but we're still doing better than Vampire and Werewolf (thanks mostly to the Z-splats being *much* higher importance in mage than in any of the other games).
>>
>>43868161
Proximus with Paradox is a new one, isn't it?

Care to spoil either of those? Myrmidion aren't in my Dark Eras Kickstarter draft, so I'm guessing they're in one of the stretch goals. Which setting are they from? I don't remember what Mage got, other than Cavemage.

Also, what's Dissonance? I don't think I've heard of that one.

>>43868219
Nice. What other Dynasties can we look forward to? It was always a bit disappointing that there were just the two Proximi tucked away in Silver Ladder. And one in Seers?
>>
>>43868219
Well, I personally reckon that Lodges are pretty darn important for Forsaken but apparently that's just me :P
>>
>>43868260
That's not how it is, that's how you want to make it. I hope you accomplish this.

Also, for what it's worth I've always loved Bloodlines. More so than any other Z-Splat. I don't think I've ever played in a game where most players weren't part of a Bloodline. Of course, most of them ignored the Bloodline's fluff in favour of having a cool Discipline, but still.
>>
>>43868236

Myrmidions are the dynasty from Seers of the Throne. Their second-ed writeup was part of the stretch-goal expansion of the Alexander the Great setting, as they're based on Greek myth (the Myrmidions were the ants Zeus transformed into human soldiers who served as Achillis' warband).

Dissonance is what in 1e was called disbelief - where Sleepers slowly dispel blatant magic when they see it.

We'll probably do the two dynasties from Silver Ladder next. Dynasties are quick and easy to write up - quicker than Legacies. The difficulty in Legacies is that you have to calculate a spell as though it's being cast, and use that to figure out which attainment level it should be at. Do-able, once you have the system down pat, but it takes more effort than "pick thirty dots worth of spells matching a theme. Try not to make any that rely on Reach to be useful too much" like building a Dynasty.

For the Storyteller, who doesn't have to fully design every potential blessing of every npc, Proximi are especially easy. Want a servant who can cast a particular 2-dot spell with her willpower? *Done*.
>>
>>43868296
>Dissonance is what in 1e was called disbelief - where Sleepers slowly dispel blatant magic when they see it.
Oh God, this change is so needed. I hate having to explain to people that you can't just go around making justifications like "I'm making a movie" and avoid Paradox because people think the term Disbelief means there's a Consensual Reality thing going on in nWoD.
>>
>>43868296
More questions because I love Proximi:

Do their Blessings have mana costs? I'm assuming they don't have to worry about the out of Path surcharges, but I don't know if spells in 2e still have mana costs just to cast them sometimes.

Will Proximi get to keep Blessings if they Awaken, but don't have the proper Arcana level yet?

Can a Proximi become Wolfblooded or vice versa?
>>
Dave, would you be willing to give us a general idea whether (and possibly what) advantages Sleepwalker PCs in a Mage game get?

Is it just "Sleepwalker Merit for free" and access to some other funky Sleepwalker-only Merits or do they get another mechanical boost as PCs?
>>
File: WoD Lifepath.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
WoD Lifepath.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I've been working on that Lifepath system I mentioned a while ago.

I'm not entirely sure on how to lay it out, but I've started making the first few levels and could use some feedback. Am I moving in the right direction here or should I scrap it and start over?
>>
>>43868719
Just FYI that's not all of it. I'm going to add at least two more levels of packages. But I haven't slept yet and it's 8am so I'm gonna pass out.
>>
>>43868719
>>43868771
I'm a bit too grumpy to accurately critique this right now in a way that wouldn't end up half plain shitposting half incredibly superficial nitpicking.

Instead, imma query the thread about a question your write-up inspired.

Any OP writers here have insight into how the process of making Hunter conspiracies works? As in, did the various writers just contribute their ideas and pass it by the main guy, or did the main guy write the outlines and let the others flesh it out?

Unlike say Vampire a lot of Hunter shit doesn't even remotely gel with anyone else's view of the world and explicitly doesn't need to, after all.
>>
This is how I Les Mysteres.
>>
>>43869641
Odd. It doesn't look like a broken corpse, ripped apart by werewolves, to me.
>>
>>43869274
>I'm a bit too grumpy to accurately critique this right now in a way that wouldn't end up half plain shitposting half incredibly superficial nitpicking.
Eh.
>>
>>43868362

Some spells still do have Mana costs, and they have to pay them.

Wolf blooded always keep their Tells if they're something else as well.

If a Proximus Awakens, all his blessigs vanish and the player gets that many Arcane Experiences. Conservation of Merits ftw.
>>
>>43869863
>If a Proximus Awakens, all his blessigs vanish and the player gets that many Arcane Experiences. Conservation of Merits ftw.

That's one of the more clever mechanics of 2e. Now we just need specific marking for various kinds of merits a la Ex3 and I'll be happy as a clam.
>>
>>43870009
>>43869863
Who was behind the idea of Sanctity of Merits, do you know?
I feel a need to thank someone for such a neat quality-of-life improvement.
>>
File: The Purple Man.png (385 KB, 480x437) Image search: [Google]
The Purple Man.png
385 KB, 480x437
>>43869863
Hey Dave, how do the Bearers of the Eternal Voice work in 2e? I know their automatic-successes-on-social-rolls attainment didn't have a spell equivalent, and I recall a spoiler saying legacy attainments are explicitly based on spells.

They probably haven't been written up, but how would you handle that attainment?

>pic semi-related, it's how I Bearer of the Eternal Voice
>>
File: 1436417955390.png (333 KB, 394x329) Image search: [Google]
1436417955390.png
333 KB, 394x329
>be brand new ST
>start HtV with a couple people I know online from before
>mfw my Long Night party insists on getting into kerfuffles with Malleus Malleficarum
>mfw they've begun a sort of tense friendship with the damnable papists
This... went better than expected. I guess pipe-bombing a wolf pack has a way of bringing people together.
>>
>>43854242
>I feel like that's... eh, it REALLY strengthens one of the complaints I've seen about Promethean, that the world would be better off if every Promethean either chose to die or killed themselves. These guys aren't just passively trying to make themselves whole and giving dead bodies new life, they're ACTIVELY killing people.
Yes, that's somewhat the point. You're not some noble outcast on the way to redemption, you're a deeply ill person perpetuating a cycle of abuse.

Thing is, you could say the same about Mages or Vampires.
>>
>>43870031
David Hill, I think

>>43870036
Nah, Attainments can totally be based on Merits, too.

But your best bet is to figure out a spell that grants that ability and then turn it into an Attainment. It would likely be Perfecting, and require Mana to cast (as it grants an autosuccess, which makes a spell cost Mana in 2e's creative thaumaturgy guidelines.)
>>
>>43870131
>Long Night
I could never run a group with Long Night in it. It seems like prime material for complete meltdowns and group death.
>>
>>43870181
>creative thaumaturgy guidelines

I think that is way, way too convenient to be allowed to exist.
What will you do to compensate? Fill the book with snakes?
>>
Which Arcanum would Dr Facillier make use of? aside from Spirits, of course.
>>
>>43870678
Dr Facilier isn't a Mage, he's a Changeling.
>>
>>43870678
Fate and Life. And he doesn't use Spirit, he has, however drawn up a few Pacts with some nasty critters. So dig into Summoners and/or Inferno.
>>
>>43870181
>But your best bet is to figure out a spell that grants that ability and then turn it into an Attainment. It would likely be Perfecting, and require Mana to cast (as it grants an autosuccess, which makes a spell cost Mana in 2e's creative thaumaturgy guidelines.)
That makes sense. It would push their really bullshit lying to Gnosis 4 (assuming the numbers have stayed the same since the preview), but I think I'm okay with that since it also represents a power boost of sorts and makes it cleaner while also giving it a limit - spend a mana to just succeed on a lie is still an awesome and terrifying power.

The memory-rewriting is probably still four dots, since that sounds right for altering memories. Speaking of which, is that supposed to be permanent? Memory-altering spells normally aren't, after all.

Now I'm curious about what to do with the 1, 2, and 5-dot attainments. The 2-dot should probably still be the dissonance-reducer, however that would work in 2e, as that's their signature ability in modern times, but what would go with that? Emotional Urging or something fits the whole speakers image, but not really the anti-dissonance ability. Maybe that can just stand on its own, really.
The legacies preview indicated 1-dot attainments being mage sight and perception stuff, which makes sense, though I have no idea what to do with that. The optional space part of that could show you sympathetic links to your audience or something I guess.

What would a Whisperer 5-dot attainment even do? Erase concepts in people's minds outright by talking about them?
>>
>>43870728
So he's a Wizened with elements of a Gameplayer and a Fatemaker? I like it.
>>43870745
This also works.
>>
>>43870838
>So he's a Wizened with elements of a Gameplayer and a Fatemaker? I like it.

And a Loyalist, of course.
>>
>>43870857
That too.
>>
Mage 2e? That shit is never coming out
>>
>>43870935
We know. But it's fun to dream about.
>>
>>43868719

Using tag descriptions for Attributes is clever. However, you seem to forget that 2 dots are the human average in WoD, so it's less "Dim" and "Withdrawn" and more like "OK". I get wanting to have dramatic learning but you want to be honest, too.

I'd need to see all of the skill packages before I make a judgement call.
>>
How do you guys run a genuinely disquieting horror game?

My approach, no "jump-scares", slowly build up tension, fuel player paranoia, build up the supernatural big bad in the minds of the players by vague appearances, vague descriptions, reduce or hide the mechanics of the game system.
>>
>>43871200

How would you even do a jump scare at a table? All I can imagine is those stories from Scary Stories to Tell in The Dark that just end with someone screaming at someone else instead of finishing the story.
>>
>>43871237
Hence my quotations, it isn't impossible, especially with the aid of audio props.
>>
>>43871200
The greatest success I have had to date with making my players paranoid was the filler session where they investigated a haunted former hospital. I did it by preying on player paranoia and asking for perception checks, throwing in unsettling sounds, and having them notice slamming doors or unexpected changes that implied there was something in the room with them they just couldn't detect. At one point, a PC opened a door to find himself staring down a man completely flayed of skin and immediately closed the door on him again. Probably my proudest horror moment as a GM there.

In the end, it was a relatively harmless group of fae spirits feeding on fear, with the only things going for them being some limited telekinesis and illusions and near undetectability unless you know what you're looking for. The flayed man was just an anatomy dummy souped up with a little illusion, as they found out when they opened the door again and he flopped into their arms.

When they found out, at least one player was salty enough to go complete overkill on the poor things.
>>
File: 1448725664737.png (847 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
1448725664737.png
847 KB, 1252x1252
Is there a good analogue for him in WoD? Would such a character be interesting to play?
>>
>>43869863
>Wolf blooded always keep their Tells if they're something else as well.
Wait, how would a Wolfblooded even become a Proximus? Can you become a Proximus? I thought you had to be born one (and that if you were, you couldn't become Wolfblooded) Are they immune to Lunacy? Proximi, I mean. Although I'm just assuming Mages are immune to Lunacy still.
>>
>>43869863
>If a Proximus Awakens, all his blessigs vanish and the player gets that many Arcane Experiences. Conservation of Merits ftw.

I would expect that a Proximus' former Blessings would (and should) convert to Praxes.

What's the XP cost for Praxes and Rotes in 2e?
>>
>>43871252

>audio cues

My word, it's all so simple now. BRB, running my dream "Newgrounds Horror Flash Game" canpaign.

In all seriousness, I play online so the biggest challenge is to unsettle while making sure I'm not taking too long to describe things. Sometimes, though, that'll actually work. When my players see that I've been typing for a while after an action, there's a moment where they'll go "Oh god what have we done". I try to avoid that in general, however.

When it's Spooky Time, I like to keep my prose as terse as possible on the buildup. This way I have small details stand on their own, which is great when I want to point out that something is wrong with the situation. Sometimes an offscreen cough'll do it.

I'm also not afraid, if all else fails, to be like Stephen King and go for the gross out.
>>
>>43871335

Pretty sure he's a straight up Sin-Eater, only his Geist is, paradoxically, himself.
>>
File: Lifepath.png (1 MB, 1695x2338) Image search: [Google]
Lifepath.png
1 MB, 1695x2338
>>43870728
>>43870678
>Dr Facilier isn't a Mage, he's a Changeling.
He's a Thaumaturgist. One of the ones with a not-Cthulhu Patron.

>>43870999
Eh. Dim or Withdrawn compared to the average PC. I didn't want to leave characters with 1 dot in anything, because I'm tempted to have potential events that remove a dot of Attribute and then replace it with two dots Skills; like a sports injury that reduces a Physical Attribute with Academics/Occult/Science however you like. I'd also had it more "Dim" when I had each of the Attributes layouts as one lower, but I decided that since I'd just end up granting those Attributes through life events that I might as well just give them at the beginning instead of having events that say "raise up your lowest X Attribute".

But I'm more than willing to change the names. Most of them are placeholders, and have already changed from my notebook version.

I'm also planning to have it very likely that players will end up with more or less Merits/Skills/Specialties than they''d get with normal character creation. Although I'm having a bit of difficulty coming up with bullshit to fill the packages already. But I suppose that's good in it's own right, because it means getting things like Hobbyist Clique used.

>>43871335
>>43871421
>Pretty sure he's a straight up Sin-Eater, only his Geist is, paradoxically, himself.
Yo, Danny Fenton he was just fourteen when his parents built a very strange machine. It was designed to view a world unseen. When it didn't quite work, his parents just quit, but then Danny took a look inside of it. There was a great big flash, everything just changed, his molecules got all rearranged. When he first woke up he realized he had snow white hair and glowing green eyes, he could walk through walls disappear and fly. He was much more unique than the other guys

He's clearly a Deviant with Ghost/Twilight related abilities.
>>
>>43871421
>only his Geist is, paradoxically, himself.
Though that's not 100% certain since he's at least once split himself into his ghost and human halves.
>>
>>43871395
I ran a Nwod Silent Hill game years ago, I ran this for a group of people that loved and played all of the games. Taking that into consideration, I knew that I couldn't incorporate the mechanic of the radio static, given that even though it successfully built up tension in the video game, it would detract from that in a pen and paper rpg. They'd be able to anticipate and use it as a sort of Geiger counter and it would detract from the expectation and horror.

Now, I think jump scares are silly and overplayed, but I think that props are a really neat way to bring immersion to the table.

So what I did, I had sessions where the players were to do leg work in the "real" world, this was an intentional move to promote the tension cycle, as it served as a relief (deceptive albeit, like the room in Silent Hill 4.)

They were stuck in a bizarre sub-strata of the real where they were in this building, they didn't face threats and their resources weren't taxed. However they soon discovered this old cassette deck, with a worn false wooden facade and bound together with tape and whatever else would hold this together.

I actually bought and "distressed" this tape-deck to make it look like it had survived decades of abuse and neglect. The players could then run through the complex and record the ambient noise with this machine, they'd do this in rooms that were inaccessible to them but were still integral plot points. Now they'd stop a recording, rewind and listen. My friend, a audio engineer outside the game would manipulate conversations, ambient noise and employ psychologically distressing tones and we'd record them on our cassettes.

I'd have cassettes for each room, given that you could only record them once before getting only white noise. At one point, one of my players left the table and refused to play, the rest of the group while shaken, had to convince him to keep playing because they wanted to continue the story.
>>
>>43871562
>He's clearly a Deviant with Ghost/Twilight related abilities.
I mean, the way the Ghost World works, he could just as easily be a Changeling
Geist works better, though, because they can visit the Underworld and they've got that superhero feel pretty much built in
>>
>>43871673
I dunno, the Ghost Zone and the Ghosts from the show don't really line up to things in Geist. If anything the Ghosts are more akin to Spirit from Werewolf ("I AM THE BOX GHOST! BEWARE!")
>>
>>43871600

That's fucking rad! I would have loved to be in that game.

>>43871562

I get the logic, I probably would have done the same, but I think it'd help to be consistent with the corebook. These are just "Good" and "Average" stats, and will be altered later, so they need names to reflect that.

Since there's only so many permutations of the Attribute block with your setup, why not just make those into packages as well? Describe it as a character base or something.
>>
>>43871739
>If anything the Ghosts are more akin to Spirit from Werewolf ("I AM THE BOX GHOST! BEWARE!")
Gotta love having an artificial Locus in your house. Also, did they ever explain how the Fentons were so good with ghost tech despite having very little actual exposure to them, or was that just plot fiat for comedic purposes?
>>
>>43871889
I think it was plot fiat.
>>
>>43871764
>These are just "Good" and "Average" stats, and will be altered later, so they need names to reflect that.
Basically. I was actually trying to think of less... I don't know, antagonistic? terms, but in the end I said "fuck it" and just went with stuff like "ignorant".

>Since there's only so many permutations of the Attribute block with your setup, why not just make those into packages as well? Describe it as a character base or something.
You mean not bother with "Positive...but negative" and just lay them out in 18 variations instead of 9 with two options? I mostly did that so I could fit it on the page, to be honest. Really, I could just create a whole bunch of Attribute packages to represent various ways to lay out 21 dots, but I feel like that might make things harder when determining the flow of one life event into the next. I want to avoid the potential of a package that has something you don't qualify for because of your Attributes. I had to tweak a lot of them to make sure they qualified for the things I gave them, and I'm not entirely sure I accomplished that for everyone.

>>43871673
Eh. I don't really see Changeling. I'll admit I don't remember much of Danny Phantom, but there didn' seem to be much of a Mask/Mein thing going on, and it seemed more like Twilight or Shadow.
>>
>>43873117
>Eh. I don't really see Changeling. I'll admit I don't remember much of Danny Phantom, but there didn' seem to be much of a Mask/Mein thing going on, and it seemed more like Twilight or Shadow.
I mostly meant in terms of the ghost zone being like the hedge, or even arcadia.
Honestly, though, Geist works best. They can see things in Twilight and visit the Underworld(Ghost Zone). Danny is just literally his own Geist, or something.
>>
>>43873117

Yeah, I mean 18 templates. It's not going to fit on one page, but it'll make a player's life easier. Yours too, I think.

With templates, you know exactly how the stats interact wth each other when you combine Attribute package with Skill Package.

In fact, looking it over again, why not have Merits be their own package, separate from Skill Package? That way the player has more variety, and you know exactly which package interacts with which Attribute/Skill combo.

You can do it kind of like how Cypher does it (which is something I thought I'd never say) and have the start of the lifepath be three keywords:

No matter where life took me, I always saw myself as a _________ (Attribute)

Above all else, life taught me to _________ (Skill)

Nowadays, I can say I'm a _________ (Merit, optionally Supernatural Type right after)

Using the keywords, you can create lifepath routes that don't cause too much trouble to the core concept.
>>
>>43870330

Suddenly, I'm reminded of Sepia Snake Sigil, D&D's weirdest spell. I kind of want to figure what arcana it would need now.
>>
It fucking sucks
>>
>>43874442

Life+Matter, and probably some Forces too, if you want to keep the amber forcefield.
>>
>>43873887
>In fact, looking it over again, why not have Merits be their own package, separate from Skill Package?
I don't want to stick to the 11/7/4 skills, three Specialties, and 7 merits standard. Which is also why I'm tempted to do Attributes different. Then I could have someone with, say, Physical at ●●●x1, ●●x2, and the Giant ●●● and Hardy ● merits as one of the potential packages, or Physical ●●x2 ●x1 with Small ●● and Fast Reflexes ●●. In fact it might be a good idea to make the "Attributes" package be worth 47xp instead of 42xp.

Although I do like the idea of phrasing it like Cypher. "I'm pretty [Fit/Forceful/Clever/Charming/et cetera], and I was [raised in the occult/athletic/schooled in hard knocks/a know-it-all]..."

I'm also planning on having one package devoted solely to social stuff, to give things like Allies, Contacts, possibly Alternate Identity.
>>
>>43874735
Anything in particular or just everything?
>>
how would you guys generate abhorash, or any blooddragon vampire from wh:f for that matter?

gangrel + ordo dracul, maybe in torpor since like 1400?
>>
>>43874963

Everything sucks in the World of Darkness. The sky sucks, the seas suck, the infinite majestic of the Supernal sucks...
>>
>>43874990
Do not worry my friend, with your help we'll send it all tumbling down...tumbling down...tumbling down...
>>
>>43874753

You'd also need Time to suspend them. I'm thinking also of just having them be trapped in solid amber, which is Matter over Forces, and you'd need to also set it to trigger, meaning you need Fate 2.

This is a complex spell. This is a far more complex spell than needed. This is "Fuck you, I am a three-fold master, you don't steal my books" level complex.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-N6gdxBx0

Lost your muse? Need a plot hook? Here you go.
>>
>>43875018

I think the best part is that it's pretty clear that the sigil can just do what it does on its own. The snake's just there to be a dick.
>>
>>43875009
https://youtu.be/qZaW6kX6QSQ
It all returns to nothing

Actually, that really is a great song for a Scelestus.
>>
>>43875074

90% chance of secret tomb room more like 90% of nightmare horror plague being unleashed.
>>
>>43875177
The Scarabsof Ammut? Puh-lease worse things have happened to the Fallen World than that.
>>
>>43875141

Hey, man, if you're gonna do anything, do it with style.
>>
File: mayonnaise.png (452 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
mayonnaise.png
452 KB, 640x480
If somebody has their soul magically removed, can they still leave a Ghost?
>>
>>43875690
Yes because Ghosts aren't people, they're just random jpgs the God-Machine's delete function missed
>>
>>43875690
>>43875722
Your soul isn't you, and Ghosts don't have Souls to begin with. A Ghost is basically the ephemeral impression left behind, and possibly your mind.
>>
anyone else having trouble with the minus? I'm getting tons of images that just refuse to load.
>>
>>43875777
>"But you're not you, your're your digital you, virtually real and controlled by real you."
>>
>>43875829
Basically, a ghost isn't actually the soul or anything of the deceased they represent, they are the ephemeral representation of their ties to the mortal world. They are the strong desire of the deceased to complete some final business representing itself through twilight, if my understanding is correct.
>>
>>43875854
Not necessarily. There was a fiction in Summoners (I think) where a Moros summoned his old mentor's ghost, and the ghost was like "No, we were wrong, this is actually me" and the mage didn't listen because he was a ghost.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.