[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pathfinder General /pfg/ If you are asking for build advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 61
File: 29 (17).jpg (169 KB, 640x465) Image search: [Google]
29 (17).jpg
169 KB, 640x465
Pathfinder General /pfg/

If you are asking for build advice, please mention which third-party books are allowed. If you do not say anything, we will assume DSP/SoP is allowed.

Unified /pfg/ link repository:
http://pastebin.com/HwxEjiKW

Old Thread
>>43835762
>>
>>43844275
So looking to do a "nonstandard classes & races" campaign.

I know I'll be allowing the PoW and PoW E classes, and a couple of the PoW E Archetypes.

I know I'll be allowing Ult. Psionics and a couple Psionic Archetypes.

I'm undecided on regular magic.

I'm thinking I will either go Spheres, or go WordCasting. I know some 3PPs have supposedly drastically expanded the wordcasting options, do they make it any good? Or should I just stick to spheres?
>>
So, lads, I've been talking to a friend who dislikes the ranged PoW stuff and I'd like to know your opinion on it. The damage is garbage compared to full attacks, the AoEs are useless because three enemies at 75% HP are three enemies at 100% capacity, and the debuffs are single-target. Thus, the best route is just to snatch counters and boosts, which feels weird to him and stops him from enjoying that. Does anyone agree with this and are there any ranged strikes you feel are better than full-attacking?
>>
Reposting for more opinions, although now that I think of it Thanksgiving may not be the best day to ask for feedback:
Hey /pfg/ I wanted to make a "good" dex-based version of the Brutal Stalker. I realize the flavor text is dumb, but I'm more interested in the mechanical side of things. Thoughts?

Graceful Slayer
While other stalkers may use agility and finesse, the graceful slayer is an exemplar of such techniques. Wielding light or one-handed weapons with blinding speed, the graceful slayer is a paragon of the light.

Disciplines: The graceful slayer loses access to Broken Blade, Steel Serpent, and Thrashing Dragon. The graceful slayer gains access to Mithral Current, Silver Crane and Sleeping Godess. This alters the stalkers discipline list.

Maneuver Recovery: The graceful slayer may recover maneuvers in one of two ways. He may spend a standard action to recover a single maneuver of his choice. Alternatively, he may spend a full round action to reinforce his presence on the battlefield, recovering a number of maneuvers equal to his initiation modifier (min. 2). If he does so, he gains temporary hit points equal to twice his character level and DR/- equal to his initiation modifier for one round. The damage reduction and temporary hit points stack with other sources of temporary hit points or damage reduction. This replaces the stalker’s standard maneuver recovery.

Graceful Strikes (Ex): Whenever the graceful slayer successfully scores a critical hit against a creature, he gains a +4 sacred bonus to his Dexterity score for a number of rounds equal to his initiation modifier. This bonus increases to +6 at 8th level and to +8 at 16th level. He gains this bonus only when using a light or one-handed weapon in one hand. This replaces deadly strikes.
>>
>>43844275
So, is Occult Adventures any good? Anybody have a link? I didn't grab it when it first came out, and I'm wanting to read through it to see if I like it enough to get a hard copy.
>>
>>43844424

Stalker Arts (Ex or Su): The graceful slayer may choose from the following additional stalker arts whenever he learns a stalker art.

Graceful Slayer Stalker Arts:
Graceful Ambush (Ex): Whenever the graceful slayer attacks a flat-footed opponent, he gains the benefit of his graceful strikes ability for that attack.
Fast Strikes (Ex): The graceful slayer’s strength bonus from his graceful strikes ability increases by +2, and he may treat his class level as his base attack bonus for the purposes of qualify for critical feats. If the graceful slayer possesses fighter levels, he may add his stalker level to his fighter level to qualify for critical feats.
Graceful Assault (Ex): The graceful slayer may spend a point of ki as a swift action to treat all all attacks the graceful slayer makes against a single creature as though he were benefiting from Graceful Strikes for a number of rounds equal to his initiation modifier.

Armor of Grace (Ex): The graceful slayer has an almost supernatural ability to dodge. At 1st level, the graceful slayer gains a +1 deflection bonus to his AC, as his sixth sense protects him. This bonus increases by +1 every four levels. In addition, the graceful slayer’s instincts enable him to better dodge incoming blows. Whenever he spends a full round action to recover maneuvers, he gains a dodge bonus to AC equal to his Wisdom modifier. This replaces the stalker’s dodge bonus.
>>
>>43844396
I quite like a lot of the Tempest Gale "trick shots" (Namely, those that disarm or trip the enemy, or other similar effects), as well as a lot of the Elemental Flux strikes, particularly Energy Hammer. And ofc the damage is worse than full attacks.
>>
>>43844430

It's shit.
>>
Sooo, /pfg/...

This is an odd one, but how does one get weapon training back on a martial master fighter?

Someone mentioned a feat, I cannot find anything that says something like that.

...Help?
>>
>>43844474
Okay then.

The reason I inquired in the first place:

I just picked up Bestiary 5. It has references to the psionics system for some of the monsters and their abilities.

http://www.gboxes.com/cqa50ldiyp0o

What from the psionics books do I need in order to run the monsters?
>>
So I introduced a variant kind of Hill Giants for my game. Basically their physique are closer to humans, their headspre proportionate, and plagued with blinding headaches. They're born to normal Giants.

The only real difference is they're far more intelligent than their Hill Giant brethren and prone to dying early due to complications such as stroke.

I'm just wondering if my players will be mad about smart Giants.
>>
>>43844396
Those AoE strikes can be pretty handy when you're in a fully martial group like I run. About ranged strikes, I've just started playing a Gunsmoke Mystic in a game a few weeks ago, I'm only level 2 at the moment so strikes are kicking arse right now, but when I get Iteratives I'll have to re-judge it.
>>
>>43844517
The psychic magic rules with the "PE" points? That's not touched on in OA at all, those rules should all be in B5. The Occult Bestiary first introduced those.
>>
>>43844496
Page 20 from the Weapon Master's Handbook:

Martial Focus (Combat)
You have honed your skills with a group of related weapons.
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +5.
Benefit: Choose one f ighter weapon group. While
wielding a weapon from this group with which you are
prof icient, you gain a +1 bonus on damage rolls.
Special: The Martial Focus feat counts as the weapon
training class feature with the chosen f ighter weapon
group for the purpose of weapon mastery feat prerequisites
and what weapons you can use with weapon mastery feats.
>>
>>43844522
Doubt it. A lot of giants are smart. (Usually not hill giants, but still) and in a lot of published settings used to have vast empires or huge cities before a collapse of some-sort.
>>
>>43844396
PARTIALLY.

First, going for counters and boosts is certainly valid, but it's true it can feel kinda cheap.

Second: Melee's in the EXACT SAME BOAT, other than, of course, the few strikes for both that let you full-attack.

The best fix for that is to allow Vital Strike to stack with maneuvers. While this won't make up the full difference (with 7 arrows a turn what the fuck CAN) it ensures your "hit all the things once" will burn through all the mooks.

You'll still want to build a little differently and full-attacks are still better, but there's no denying that a warsoul 'metaforged' for some oversized laser or graviton cannon is going to at least be capable of low triple-digits in a single blast with the right choices.

Some particularly good ranged or "any attack" strikes of the standard-action variety:
>Silver Crane Spiral
Because sometimes, you want to wipe out a fucking army, and everything in 300ft only has 60 HP
>Strike of Silver Exorcism and Celestial Pinions
They hit extremely hard and the latter can allow you to directly target incorporeals and possessors directly
>Reflection Strikes in 'solar wind'
A single standard action can down three targets of moderate toughness. It's handy 'nuff
>Twisting Wind Shot
A crit-fiend's true friend. Watch the x5 on your stalker's rifle autocrit so long as you don't miss
>Solar Tsunami/Nova
60ft cone is not little. 20ft Burst ain't terrible. 15d6+IL would be superb if it wasn't a reflex-half, and 20d6 half of which is elemental can do decently against a vulnerable target.
>Elemental Energy Hammer
Because sometimes you need Dispel
>Raging Flux
Because knockback will save your fucking life, and it might kill the guy in the process
>Strike the Hourglass
Yes it's single target, but the action fuck is automatic and ignores immuities. If you WON'T be able to single-volley that boss, you can make sure he never gets a full and proper turn before he dies to your party.
>>
>>43844666
>Vital Strike stacking with maneuvers
Satan, plz. Maneuver are not meant to be better at dealing damage than full attacks, trading instead the power for secondary effects and mobility. There's no point otherwise-the system is meant to have both full attacks and maneuvers as viable choices.
>>
>>43844396
A few more:
>Cutting Gale
+5d6 on a 4th level maneuver, attack bypasses DR, and causes Bleed equal to initiation modifier. Single Target, but handy. Consider with VS allowance in particular
>Iron Wind
Save or stagger for INIMod rounds. Again, bosskilling
>Wind Lance
For throwing weapons; triple damage at the end of a charge. Combine with certain things to add that multiplier right up....
>Hunting Zephyr
It's a natural 20. Literally. That is the strike. "it's a natural 20". Consider what this, plus Phantom Sunstorm, on a stalker's rifle, might do to a dragon.... Now consider Riven Hourglass 8's Stance and TWO standards a turn....

The elemental ones in particular are most recommended if you've got an elemental flux user (for resistance crashes/bypass/vulnerability inflictors,etc). For Full Attacks Cascade of Elemental Wrath is of horrifying note, especially if you have half a dozen or more attacks a round....
>>
>>43844719
Yeah, except full attacks are more or less never viable for melee.
>>
>>43844533
Ah, sure enough it's in the universal monster rules section.

Lots of spells from the OA book, but I can just pull those up on d20pfsrd. Thanks!

(Also, OA still makes me think of the 3e Oriental Adventures book.)
>>
File: canmore.jpg (8 KB, 191x264) Image search: [Google]
canmore.jpg
8 KB, 191x264
>>43844719
Don't be that stupid.
A vital strike maneuver (does not multiply strike damage that's bonus dice) doesn't come fucking CLOSE to a full attack's output.

We're talking turning a 1/4th into a 1/3 or maybe 1/2 here. x4 weapon dice without multiplied statics, plus a strike, does NOT amount to even 2/3 of what a full attack by a guy *five levels under you* will dish out.
>>
>>43844750
>What is all the pounce
>What is your enemies came at you anyways
>What is flying
>What is friends with golden lion or tacticians or myriad other ways of moving and still getting it
>What are movement boost maneuvers
>>
What's the most mechanically interesting build you've played recently?
>>
>>43844797
Honestly, a dual wield combat gunslinger.

Either that, or a ronin swashbuckler focused on some Iaijutsu stuff from 3.5
>>
>>43844797
A tech-firearms warsoul/aegis
"Just" the guns for now, but in a few levels I'll have weapon adaptation:Heavy....
>>
File: That_really_rustled_my_jimmies.jpg (58 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
That_really_rustled_my_jimmies.jpg
58 KB, 640x480
To Gareth, since you assholes are nerfing my favorite archetype in PoW:E because you have a raging hateboner for stacking archetypes and nice things, can I ask: Why do you hate stackable archetypes and nice things?

And before anyone asks: Yes, I mad.
>>
>>43844970
What got changed?
>>
>>43844821
Agreed. In my opinion, firearm mechanics are pretty great. i for one love the imagery of old style guns and the wielder caring for them like a wizard does for his spellbook.

Once I was in a situation where this group of people wanted to figure out the secrets of gunpowder so they played all these tricks to try and get me to give it up. Pretty great.
>>
>>43844983
They're explicitly changing it so it cannot stack with Vivisectionist. Because DSP has started drinking Paizo's koolaid and become allergic to fun.

Thanks, 2hufag.
>>
>>43845019
So that WHAT can't stack with vivisectionist?
>>
>>43844970
They haven't even said what they're changing yet, still your jimmies.
I have to admit, though, the polymath feels like it should have more options, just slightly weaker, over taking out any options.
>>
>>43844970
>>43845019
>>43845076

Guys, an alchemist (polymath/vivisectionist) getting to have 6lv initiating, 6lv self-buffing with one less slot per day, full sneak attack progression, an Intelligence focus, and mutagen, was a bit much.
>>
File: 1447647475147.jpg (36 KB, 420x294) Image search: [Google]
1447647475147.jpg
36 KB, 420x294
>>43844970
>>43845019
I may have fired from the hip due to a combination of being at work and phone posting being a bitch, but it's under advisement in internal.

Really though, dude goes, "Hey, you said bard can't have literally all the things because balance, but this guy has all the things ever." Fuck are you expecting the result of that to be, confetti?

To answer the less specific parts of this question, plenty of us like stackable archetypes. I have this big giant fucking axe to grind about archetypes in general, so when I write them they tend to be transformative. Any stacking is, as a result, generally purely accidental, and I'm fairly loathe to make an alteration to the one I actually fucking like just to make it stack with something else not relevant to the concept. This is a subject that comes up in internal a /lot/; there are checks on my biases. Others of us, like Elric & ErrantX, design with stacking in mind from the word 'go'.

TL;DR calm thy shit please.
>>
>>43845076
The initiating archetype. Anon is buttmad about literally nothing, since they haven't said what they're changing. It might even be a buff to the bard.
>>
>>43845098
Gareth! feedback on >>43844424 and >>43844436 ?
>>
>>43845103
>It might even be a buff to the bard.
You're so wrong, I'll put money on it. I will actually buy a book from them if you're right.
>>
>>43845098
What do you think of >>43844396 ?
>>
File: 1447943910345.png (273 KB, 536x458) Image search: [Google]
1447943910345.png
273 KB, 536x458
>>43845132
Gonna be honest anon, I've been dealing with the retail zombie apocalypse all week and I'm going right back into the trenches tomorrow. I'm useless for feedback until I get a day off and a solid few hours' drinking the pain away.

>>43845178
See above, but with an added side of, "Asking one of the writers might get you rightfully accused of polling biased sources."
>>
Will Sakhil ever get a tiefling variant?
>>
>>43845370
Make one! Call them Terrorspawn or something!
>>
>>43845095
I have to agree there. It's not necessarily overpowered like the wizard is, but it's way out of line compared to the rest.
>>
>>43845095
>>43845498
So the question is what to fix. Removing the extracts entirely kind of defeats the purpose of them doing all the things.
Stagger stuff so it comes in later, or stagger progression so they have to depend on Discoveries to get gud?
Also, (polymath/vivisectionist/Cognatogen)
>>
>>43845644
Remove bombs?
>>
>>43845644
I think the thing with vivisectionist is that sneak attack is strong and applicable to maneuver fighting, but bombs, while good, are just a side grade to it. Polymath with bombs is something that has a backup weapon. Polymath with sneak attack has a basically always-up pile of extra damage.
>>
If I pulled out regular casting and only had Spherecasting, what roles/impotant effects might the players be missing out on? Anything important?

Then, same question, but only DSP Psionics.
>>
How do spheres work?
>>
>>43845660
>>43845644
>>43845498
Buff the other classes, you braindead cunts. "Boohoo it's not OP but everything else sucks, we need to nerf the fun class!"

Literally kill yourselves, you subhumans. Or go to Paizo forums where you belong.
>>
>>43845211
I know your pain Gareth, I'm posting at work right now and the sales start in less than fifteen minutes.
>>
here's a potentially obscure request; does anyone know anything about the Pact Magic Unbound books from Radiance House? I see some interesting stuff for Oracles and some decent concepts, but i can't find a goddamn pdf or any explaination of the new rules
>>
>>43845696
Wow dude chill
>>
wysps are the most adorable thing to come out of bestiary 5
discuss
>>
>>43845726
Yeah you're right telling them to go to Paizo was excessive and I apologize for that.
>>
>>43845696
there are times for buffs and times for nerfs

whenever someone uses this logic of
>don't nerf my OP thing, just bring everything else up to its level
they don't understand game design or just design in general

while it would be great, in principal, for everyone to be at the same highest power level for any game it just isn't possible. And to then suggest that you go through and systematically buff all the classes below one rather than nerf the one to be on the same level as the others you are't looking at the big picture

creating an arms race between classes is exactly what you don't want to do. and buffing classes so that they seem to meet up to the level of the one outlier is a good way to start that arms race.

if something is an outlier on the strong side, you nerf it. If something is an outlier on the weak side you buff it. You don't go wholesale on the classes in the middle so that they conform to the outlier.
>>
File: 1446056335018.jpg (48 KB, 224x257) Image search: [Google]
1446056335018.jpg
48 KB, 224x257
>>43845696
Anon, I understand that you disagree. I'm happy that you're passionate enough about it to be mad. But I'm still gonna have to ask you to acquire some chill and maybe unpack the feedback so I've got a better idea of where you're coming from.
>>
>>43845755
>don't nerf my OP thing, just bring everything else up to its level
The point is it's not overpowered you stupid cunt.
>highest power level
Are you really so fucking stupid you think ALCHEMISTS are t1? How do you breathe?

>if something is an outlier on the strong side, you nerf it.
It's not even an outlier, you fucking autist. Does it suddenly become t2? No? It's not "overpowered"
>>
>>43845772
I was speaking in generalist terms.

when someone says
>Buff the other classes

rather than nerfing the one you are making a mistake

Alch vivisectionist stacking was an outlier
so you bring it into line
enough said.
>>
>>43845768
NTGB I think is point is there's a difference between power and versatility. Tiers mostly measure versatility, and T2 is options+win buttons.

A t3 class with more choices than the other T3 classes is still T3.
>>
>>43845772
Yeah, no. If plenty of t3/high tier 4 classes are strong and fine, then somethung that is just significantly better but not campaign-breaking (tier 2) is a problem. This is the same reason people were complaining about psychic armory.
>>
>>43845768
Okay. I'll keep it short to avoid suddenly losing chill. Having a lot of options does not mean it's overpowered. Having a lot of options that shit on the game's balance and the narrative, like the wizard does, is overpowered. The polymath does not get this. The polymath is still limited to 6th-level maneuvers and the alchemist spell list. The polymath does not break anything. There is no need to change it, and saying that it needs to be nerfed just because other classes aren't as good is exactly the same logic as saying that the t3 classes need to be nerfed until they're as weak as fighter, chained monk, and chained rogue.

>>43845820
Prove polymath is t2.
>>
>>43845814
Sure, which means that tiers are not necessarily the only measure of class power.

>>43845826
Did you even read my post?
>>
>>43845826
Counterpoint: breaking the compatibility doesn't equal a nerf, unless you're suggesting that all polymaths should be/must be vivisectors as well. No one has suggested making Polymath weaker. We've suggested making it not compatible with Vivisectionist.
>>
>>43845832
Prove the polymath is t2. Or do you not even know what t2 is? I'll give you a hint, it doesn't mean "More options than the other t3 classes."
>>
>>43845840
Removing an option isn't a nerf? How do you justify that? All polymaths should have the CHOICE to be a vivisector. The lack of choice is exactly why people complain about Paizo martials, and you're seriously trying to tell me you don't think removing a choice is a nerf?
>>
>>43845737
While I agree with you, I believe the point of the discussion is that vivisectionist was an unintended stack with the POW:E archetype, which allowed the alchemist to basically have his cake and eat it too (the only thing he REALLY trades is slower spells), which is being nipped in the bud, so to speak.

Again, I don't agree with the choice (I for one WANT my game to be legendary for everyone, not just everyone buffed/nerfed to float around the boring grey middle), but if it's being made, it's best it be weighed in on to be as moderate as possible.

>>43845806
I'll say that the 'line' here is up for debate--my line is up closer to wizard territory (or at least upper T3/toeing into T2), rather than about-the-same-as-regular-T3-alchemist-with-a-different-coat-of-paint.

>>43845826
polymath by itself likely isn't. it's the (unforseen) combination with vivisectionist that lets it get: int-chassis, full SA advancement, mutagen/infusions (albeit slightly slower), and so on. it's basically a straight upgrade to the base alchemist, which is apparently too much.

(the reasoning is that it's not that it's better than other T3 classes either, it's that its better than the class it's supposed to stem from)
>>
>>43845863
A lack of build choices is not even remotely comparable to a lack of in-game choices. They're two completely different things.
>>
>>43845674
>>43845660
I think it's workable and interesting combo of themes, so I'd like to keep it possible... is there any way to spread out the bomb damage increase that doesn't invalidate taking Vivisectionist?
Actually, that's a general silly question.
>Take Vivisectionist
>Take Clone Master
Do you get the +1d6 sneak attack, or can you not take both because they both fuck with bombs? I would say you could grab both for 1d4 sneak attack...
>>
For the record. I knew polymath and Vivisectionist stacked when I wrote it. Gareth may not have, I can't comment on that.

The difficulty is that vivisectionist is very hard to build around in the first place. The only thing it trades out is bombs>sneak attack. Everything else it gets is free candy. That's more the issue than anything else.
>>
>>43845841
Read. My. Fucking. Post. I said that Polymath vivisectionist is NOT tier 2, but still a problem.

Because yes. There are power differences within tiers, and it is stull possible to be too strong while still by campaign breaking. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.
>>
>>43845918
Eyy, maybe you can talk some sense into ser gareth! He's gone mad with power--mad I say!

All this talk of removing things and whatnot, scary business that.
>>
>>43845894
Neither are desirable. Both have been widely complained about.

>>43845924
Sure it is. And it depends more on the player's ingame choice than on their build, in this context. Within a tier, the power of an individual character varies more by table than by build choices. I seriously doubt you would actually see it be "too strong" in play unless the player is the sort to make all his characters "too strong". What difference exists is slight enough to be a nonissue in actual play.
>>
>>43844547
PoW errata that adds that Special entry onto Weapon Group Adaptation when?
>>
>>43845936
I'm much more amenable to reasoned argument than I am to memes and yelling over the interwebs.

I'll listen to all sides, but I'm reserving judgement until I have time to work over the numbers and opinions of fans and developers alike.
>>
>>43845939
You do realize that the exact same argument applies to the wizard? Plenty of players play blasters.
>>
I should add that no one has actually complained that the polymath is "stronger than all other t3 classes". This started when someone noticed it got more toys than the initiating bard.

>>43845997
Do you really think that's a valid comparison? "OH NO, the polymath can get SNEAK ATTACK" is not the same thing as a blaster wizard having the tools to blast AND be a god at the same time.
>>
Hey, while the PoW devs are here, can Monk of the Silver Fist use spiked gauntlets or just the regular kind? What about rope gauntlets?
>>
>>43845918
I don't think it gets THAT much free candy, it's just the sneak attack works with maneuvers and the bombs generally don't.
>Use one skill in place of another, neither is Perception or Spellcraft
Okay, whatever
>Make catgirls
Kind of free candy I guess?
>Spend discoveries to get specific rogue talents
Probably fair.
>Trade 1d6/2 levels to things in an area for 1d6 on single targets a good chunk of the time
Eh, close enough
>>
>>43846032
I don't see why not. It's not explicitly stated, but they're all "gauntlets."
>>
File: AngryGarethNoises.gif (1 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
AngryGarethNoises.gif
1 MB, 500x500
>>43845863
Why? I need you to explain to me, in detail, why I should not be worried about the straight upgrade available to an already powerful, versatile, & dynamic archetype, one that has a potential answer to every situation already and is thus literally just gobbling free numbers to replace its somewhat awkward alternate attack option.

Your argument would make sense if Polymath was missing on, I dunno, damage. But it's not. SA is candy. All of Vivisectionist is candy. The archetype has more candy in it than a mysterious van lurking in a school zone.

And I need to remind you that this /began/ with an anon demanding that Rubato get 6/9 casting installed and instead replace performance, citing this combo as a reason for bard to have access to both its phenomenal spell list & manuevers in exchange for losing out on its most iconic feature. So...yeah. I'm gonna go ahead and say it's not a nerf. If you've had your three meals a day & dessert already you don't need fucking candy.

>>43845936
I'd need power before I could go mad with it. The team's taking things under advisement, as Elric just said. Ultimately he has the most say over Polymath; its his baby. This won't stop me from arguing my stance on the matter, however.
>>
>>43845985
No I gotcha, that was almost entirely a joke.

Like I posted here >>43845872, having a nice set of AT combinations is great, and as Elric stated, the 'candy' problem seems to be with vivisectionist itself (and therefore on paizo's end).

Having sneak attack and filling the rogue niche so some other poor sap doesn't have to isn't really all that awful or gamebreaking from where I'm sitting (though it certainly is a good number of options), and dropping bombs or similar may affect other archetypes that might also be compatible that aren't as overtly great choices.

Then again I'm hardly in my right mind either, riding a wave of turkey and honey ham (I'll be hitting the sack shortly to be honest)
>>
>>43846064
>powerful, versatile, & dynamic archetype, one that has a potential answer to every situation already
I need you to explain to me, in detail, how you think a base polymath has narrative capabilities equal to a wizard, because that's what it's sounding like.
>>
>>43846046
>Make catgirls
What
>>
>>43846047
They count as different weapons though, so by RAW it shouldn't work.

Incidentally, Monk of the Silver Fist combos very well with a Warder that's taken both Fiendbound Marauder and Ordained Defender, even without that ruling.
>>
>>43845918

I suggest getting rid of either the bombs, or the mutagens (with the possibility of getting them back later via discovery).

Heck, you could get rid of bombs, and have bomb discoveries apply to strike damage!
>>
>>43846111
awakening/anthropomorphising animals baked in, iirc.
>>
>>43846134
making bombs actually be useful to the archetype would certianly help that class feature.
>>
>>43846136
Explain.
>>
>>43846126
We're making it more explicit that spiked and other gauntlets are viable options for MoSFs because, and I say this so rarely, what the fuck paizo?
>>
>>43846156
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/vivisectionist
>not just reading the archetype
They get awaken and anthropomorphic animal as extracts. May all your waifus bed other men without your consent.
>>
>>43846159
That was how it worked in 3.5 though. Weapon Focus (gauntlet) doesn't help you with spiked gauntlets and vice versa. No more than Weapon Focus (longsword) helps you with shortswords.
>>
>>43846134
Can't. It's a class template for Investigator as well. That means it has to balance for both alchemist AND Investigators. So if I trade out bombs on one side, something has to go on Investigator as well. And Investigator Polymath is in a very good place.
>>
>>43846154

I think Polymath loses far too little in exchange for maneuvers, especially when you compare it to other stuff like the barbarian or bard archetypes.

The only real straight upgrades that should happen should be to the lowest tier of classes (fighter, rogue).
>>
>>43846180
I'm aware. Paizo could have fixed that, and didn't. It's a running theme in these threads.
>>
>>43846156
Torturous Transformation

At 7th level, a vivisectionist adds anthropomorphic animal to his formula book as a 2nd-level extract. When he uses this extract, he injects it into an animal as part of a 2-hour surgical procedure. By using multiple doses of this extract as part of the surgery, he multiplies the duration by the number of extracts used.

At 9th level, a vivisectionist adds awaken and baleful polymorph to his formula book as 3rd-level extracts. When he uses the awaken or baleful polymorph extract, he injects it into the target (not a plant) as part of a 24-hour surgical procedure. He can make anthropomorphic animal permanent on a creature by spending 7,500 gp.

At 15th level, a vivisectionist adds regenerate to his formula book as a 5th-level extract.

so yeah, making catgirls.
>>
File: Sylvia.jpg (79 KB, 480x799) Image search: [Google]
Sylvia.jpg
79 KB, 480x799
>>43846091
I said 'potential answer', not 'automatic answer'. A well-built wizard always has options at hand that will, at the very least, get him away from the problem. Polymath has solutions applicable to every category of problem, and they're generally really nice solutions.

Calmatae, anon. Let the donut steel soothe you.
>>
>>43846159
What about a cestus? Brass knuckles? Manople? Hook hand? Knuckle axe? Tekko-kagi?
>>
>>43846195

Does it really have to? The bushi template removes a bunch of different things from the three PoW classes.

Anyways, I'm sure you'll find something!
>>
So what I'm hearing is "you can have a diverse team that doesn't step on each other's toes, and everyone in the party is an Alchemist."

Is that about right?
>>
>>43846235
Fair enough. Is your only objection to vivisectionist polymath the damage? Because... oh. Right, I forgot you can't do anything about Paizo's design. I was going to suggest making some way to just grab everything that's not SA on the vivisectionist.

Anyway, after some thought, I'm going to agree that letting alchemists discard their inferior bombs for a bonus to damage on maneuvers is probably too much, but I like the idea of some guy doing horribly unethical experiments. If you do remove vivimath stacking, which is probably fair as far as damage goes, would you consider some way to get the polymath a way to conduct vivisectionist-style experiments or is that asking too much?
>>
File: 1432172751126.jpg (192 KB, 855x644) Image search: [Google]
1432172751126.jpg
192 KB, 855x644
>>43846288
To the best of my knowledge, yes. It's one of the things I like about the class.
>>
>>43846250
I'm on my phone and it is Thanksgiving. The fact that I'm on here at all is a miracle.

>>43846277
Yes. Bushi trades out a lot of different things, but they are all of roughly the same potency.
>>
>>43845735
>implying it's not the Ostovite
>>
File: fiend-sibriex.jpg (258 KB, 400x588) Image search: [Google]
fiend-sibriex.jpg
258 KB, 400x588
>>43846296
That might be outside of the wheelhouse on this particular supplement, but I know there's folks in the company that wanna do mad science stuff. I personally wanna do an aberration book at some point, so...y'know, not off the table, but not really in-scope for PoW. If that makes the sense?

Pic excessively related.
>>
>>43846324
Yeah, it does. Thanks for the answer, I'll look forward to the aberration book.
>>
>>43846288
Yup. It's one of the cool T3 classes like that, like the Bard and the Inquisitor.
>>
>>43846324
Isn't that an outsider though
>>
File: Sister_Brofist.png (111 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
Sister_Brofist.png
111 KB, 700x700
>>43846347
No problem anon. I like to think I do things for good reasons usually, but it's nice to have folks willing to make me defend a position I've taken. I spend too much time reminding people that sometimes I design drunk at 4 in the morning while growling swear words under my breath; 'twas refreshing.

Thank you, again, for your interest and dedication. Folks passionate enough to pick a fight are part of what makes playtesting valuable and how we learn things about our fanbase & what it wants, since for SOME REASON just straight asking people, "The fuck you want?" does not work.
>>
File: We're Not Taking the Wizard.jpg (156 KB, 1224x814) Image search: [Google]
We're Not Taking the Wizard.jpg
156 KB, 1224x814
>>43846400
It's the outsider that designed the physical forms of the non-unique Tanar'ri, yes, sculpting soulstuff into twisted flesh and giving them consistency in exchange for reduced potential.

Also their true form is PERFECTION, YOU WORM, which just tickles me fucking pink.
>>
>>43846439
So why's the wizard vomiting viscous rainbow substances?
>>
>>43846564
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/alchemical-allocation
>>
>>43846439
>Boots made of penguins
>Sitting on a giant spider
>An octopus in his bag
The longer you look, the weirder it gets.
>>
File: 1417860000386.png (507 KB, 481x454) Image search: [Google]
1417860000386.png
507 KB, 481x454
>One of my players wanted to play a vanilla Fighter really bad
>Everyone, including me, told him it's a horrible idea and he'll regret it
>He told us to shut the fuck up
>For the first 5 or so sessions, he was running around oneshotting enemies, feeling like top dog, telling everyone else to suck his dick and constantly exclaiming how we're all retarded
>Now that the casters aren't level 2 peasants anymore, we've got a wizard who so far has solved 4 whole encounters on his own in one spell, a sorceror flying around shitting lightning at all times and a synthesist summoner with more limbs than is honestly acceptable
>The fighter is beginning to complain that everyone is overpowered
>>
>>43846047
Probably best to say close-group weapons, then, because that's all the fist attachments.
>>
>>43846634
Does that baby have a unibrow on its smug little face?
>>
>>43846652
Yeah, but it also has a bunch of stuff like knives and clubs. Very different crunch and also punching becoming inferior to grabbing a club and two-handing it.
>>
>>43846690
club's in the hammer group, though. you're seeing the mere club, which is more like a fragile branch.
>>
>>43846665
Yes.

>>43846634
Kick him in the nuts, murder his character, and use the loot to buy whores.
>>
>>43845735
>Not the Apallie.
Motherfucker you know nothing.
>>
>>43846324
What, you don't want a discipline based around turning into horrific fleshy abominations in order to attack better, focusing on (un)natural weapons and with boosts that give you such for a few rounds?
Crawling Chaos style, with stances that let you take a sword through the torso then disarm the wielder, turn your arms into 10-ft noodly appendages to attack at range, or give yourself a flesh-melting venom and bite attack.

...You can mix Abberant Aegis and the one maneuvering shenanigan, right?
>>
>>43846982
Yep.
>>
>>43845098
Are you using an internet browser to post on 4chan? If so I recommend switching to Clover, it's an app for browsing and posting on 4chan.
>>
File: Huh.png (849 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Huh.png
849 KB, 1366x768
>>43847007
...I am, and it's been working just fine for me. Why should I switch and/or how the fuck did you tell?
>>
>>43847034
You're relatively new and Clover makes phone posting not be such a bitch.
>>
>>43847043
"Officer, there's an anonymous guy on the internet maybe talking about CHILD PORNOGRAPHY I DEMAND YOU ARREST HIM OR HER IMMEDIATELY"

>>43847001
Tiiiime to go bend the definition of 'Unarmed Strike' as a discipline weapon over a table, then.
>>
>>43846982
Fun fact, a minion already wrote this. It intrigues me.
>>
When do we start getting weirder looking celestials?
I'm not talking about disgusting or horrifying ones, necessarily (but a celestial that absorbs corruption into it's body as self sacrifice would be cool), I'm talking about like an Archon ooze or an insectoid Angel.
>>
>>43847130

And it's fucking gross. In the best way. My DM had a harbinger who vomited his intenstines out at us as part of his strikes, among other things.
>>
>>43847034
Yeah, what >>43847054 just said.
>>
Does anyone have a build set aside for Kineticist Mooks/Minions?

Preferably with Parting Blast built in?
>>
>>43846982
>there's an archetype for it that let's you pick a bbw outsider faction, and that faction changes how some of your stuff works
>>
>>43846982
>>43847130
Expanding upon that, what's your take on new maneuvers for other monsters? Silver Crane is angels, Black Seraph is demons, Unquiet Grave is undead, and this one seems like aberrations, but what about something for shapeshifters? Or maybe one for constructs. Just seems interesting to me.
>>
>>43847210
>bbw
What
I never wrote that
why is that even part of autocorrect I don't even like that shit
>>
File: 802910-haggar_13.jpg (31 KB, 392x619) Image search: [Google]
802910-haggar_13.jpg
31 KB, 392x619
If I take the Kraken Style feat, does it add the +2 towards grapple checks or JUST maintaining a grapple?

Is the initial Combat Maneuver to grapple considered a grapple check?

Is there a rules difference between grapple checks and maintaining a grapple?
>>
>>43847230
Maybe not, but your autocorrect does.

The machines are developing magical realms. The uprising is soon.
>>
>>43847130
When I use my PC I use Appchan X (Plugin) on Chrome.

When I use my phone, I use clover.

Appchan X is way better than default 4 chan. Clover is also better than default 4chan, other than the fact that you have to use a phone keyboard.
>>
>>43847242
Yeah it's JUST maintaining the grapple. So it only works on grapple checks after the first one.
>>
File: beautifulamirite.jpg (37 KB, 350x242) Image search: [Google]
beautifulamirite.jpg
37 KB, 350x242
>>43847230
Too late. BBW Outsider factions. You only get paeliryons.
>>
>>43847259
This gives me the perfect idea for a demon.
>a lustful soul who reincarnated into a mechanical demon
>small patches of flesh cover it, teasing it with pleasure it's metal body has been denied
>it desperately searches for a way to return to a fleshy body so it can once again pursue it's sin
>>
File: 1273670016142.jpg (43 KB, 341x401) Image search: [Google]
1273670016142.jpg
43 KB, 341x401
>>43847130
Does it include Miss Fortune's head volleyball shenanigans as a stance?
I do like the mechanical idea of "Boosts that give you a weapon temporarily". Don't remember anything other than broken blade interacting with "fuck my weapon is gone", though. I suppose it steps on the soulknife's toes a little...

>>43847136
Angels are pretty boring appearance wise- the only significant outlier is the cassisian. I am 100% for Potion and Hive archons, though.
>>
>>43847275
not only did that picture give me no need, I tapped to it once
>>
File: [OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD].gif (1 MB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
[OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD].gif
1 MB, 512x288
>>43847329
>spoiler
>>
>>43847311
The details aren't mine to share, anon.
>>
So I'm using the simple monster creation rules from Unchained. Since types are no longer as integral to building statistics as they were before, why shouldn't I use this as an opportunity to get rid of the types that I don't see much purpose for?

The type hierarchy doesn't really make much sense when you get right down to it. Some of the types are vaguely or arbitrary distinguished. Why shouldn't dragon be a subtype? Why can't creatures have multiple types if it feels appropriate?

Furthermore, I don't really see the need for the non-specific outsider type; at this point it is confusing oft-synonymous with extraplanar (~98% of extraplanar creatures in the books are outsiders). I can see the need for the broad groups of outsiders to have their own types (e.g. fiend, celestial, sidereal, terrestrial, astral, ethereal, whatever), but right now too many random monsters are being shoehorned into the outsider type.

Does anyone have advice? If I was trying to replace the outsider type with a set of more rigidly defined types, what would you say the new types absolutely must be? Aberration (for proteans), Celestial, Construct (for inevitables), and Fiend are a given.
>>
>>43847458
You again? At least you keep this only once or twice a week, but it's still irritating. Fuck off.
>>
>>43847136
so like tzitzmitl (or whatever that aztec goddess' name was), or FF12's cuchulainn

although cuchu only TRIED to take in all the world's waste and negativity--he was originally the most kind and beautiful of the eidolons/totema, but bit off a bit more than he could chew and is now a giant green corruptionmonster with his own spear jammed through his head to keep him from eating more
>>
>>43847242
Maintaining a grapple comes with a free +5, so Kraken Style gives you a +7 to maintain.

Also, RAW, Kraken Throttle, the follow-up, is an instant suffocation action, and RAW, instantly kills anything that is susceptible to crits or bleeds.

Obviously GMs may notice that this is not written properly, and results may vary.
>>
File: 1439306384964.jpg (11 KB, 417x600) Image search: [Google]
1439306384964.jpg
11 KB, 417x600
>One of your players brings a grapple-centric character to the table
>>
>>43847242

1) All grapple checks.

2) Yes.

3) Only for particular feats and class abilities that specify such a dichotomy.
>>
>>43847477
I am looking for suggestions and never got a satisfactory answer before.

>I am dropping the outsider type because it is poorly defined, and replacing it with the types Aberration (chaotic outsider), Celestial (good outsider), Construct (lawful outsider) and Fiend (evil outsider). What other types should I include to cover my bases?
>>
>>43847577
neutral primordial oozes! they dont give a shit, they're just hungry.
>>
What questions should I ask myself if I'm interested in joining a campaign but getting the classic, "should I join" jitters?
>>
>>43847644
Only one:
What are the consequences of bailing out in case it's shit?
>>
File: SantaFrog.png (116 KB, 432x314) Image search: [Google]
SantaFrog.png
116 KB, 432x314
Hey /pfg/ I'm working on a campaign that is supposed to be anime as fuck. It's a campaign where they are all delinquents in a high school. Anyways, as a result of that all the enemies are pretty much going to be npcs with class levels. To make things more fun, distinct, and anime I've added in Delinquent Feats.

Delinquent Feats are gained at levels 1, 5, 10, 15, 20. These are bonus added onto whatever the characters will have. The npcs and the players in my campaign have access to them.

I've tried to make them powerful and interesting while not making everything revolve around them. I mostly just focused on balancing them against each others. I'm still in the process of adding more and balancing. At the moment I need to add more solo feats instead of feat lines.

Here's the feats http://pastebin.com/Xfc4P9FF
I'd appreciate any feedback.
>>
Has anyone ordered physical books from DSP before? I want a psionic GM screen because i like the art and i feel inferior to other GMs to not have a screen.

I was thinking of maybe getting Psionics Unleashed Revised or Psionics Embodied.
>>
>>43847687
These are really fucking strong, dude.
Like, holy shit.
>>
>>43847705
I'm aware. I'm not really concerned about that as both the party and all enemies will have access to them. I'm more concerned about how they balance against one another for the most part.
>>
>>43847704
I've bought the paperback versions of the early psionics books at my FLGS. I'm not sure Revised will be your best bet if you're thinking of getting Ultimate Psionics (the compilation) in the future.
>>
>>43847687
Is Super Genius supposed to be impossible to get? Because if you're only getting them at 1, 5, 10, 15, and 20, you don't have enough feats to get all the way to Super Genius. Also, as
>>43847705
said, these are really, really strong.
>>
>>43847525
Grapple builds can work. They're typically pretty 1-trick pony, and you need to know you'e not going to be mostly fighting giant monsters (as in, lots of humanoid opponents) but in the right campaign it can be doable.
>>
>>43847753
I've got Ult Psi in PDF format and honestly its missing too much errata for me to even consider getting a print version.
>>
>>43847485
I don't know much about Final Fantasy. but those Esper summons are tight.
>>
>>43847848
It should be possible. There are actually only 4 feats in that line but the first feat is only available at 5.
>>
>>43847242
Just maintaining a grapple, but that means all grapple checks except the first that starts the grapple and checks to break out of a grapple.

Yes. But not a grapple check to maintain a grapple which is the important wording on the feat.

Yes. All grapple checks are grapple checks but only the ones to maintain a controlled grapple, including doing damage, moving the enemy, pining or tying up are grapple checks to maintain a grapple. Starting a grapple and breaking or taking control of a grapple started by an opponent aren't.

On a bbit of good news you DO get the Kraken Style damage on the initial grapple.
>>
>>43847395
Just curious and throwing ideas out.

As a general question, how stupid/broken is this?

Wuxia Student
Feat- Combat
Prerequisites: BAB +7, Acrobatics 5 ranks
Benefit- You have a fly speed of 30 feet (good) on your turn. If you don't end your turn on a surface other than air, you fall. You may use Acrobatics in place of Fly because fuck Fly anyway.

Wuxia Style
Feat- Combat
Prerequisites- BAB +15, Wuxia Student, Acrobatics 10 ranks
Benefit- You have a fly speed equal to your base land speed, with perfect maneuverability.
>>
>>43847898
This is news to me, and I am currently using a Kraken Style Grapple build.

Does this mean that every time I grapple, and maintain in any way, I can deal that damage?

Would a Cavalier Challenge buff that damage?
>>
does anyone have the pastebin that had the homebrewed Planetouched?
>>
>>43847625
Any serious suggestions?
>>
>>43844352
>I know some 3PPs have supposedly drastically expanded the wordcasting options, do they make it any good?

I would like to know this as well. I haven't seen anything other than the basic Paizo stuff, and I really like Words of Power, both as a system on its own and as a decent start toward reigning in super-casters. I hadn't even heard of a 3rd party getting involved, who else has made WoP stuff?
>>
What exactly is a "Harbringer"? I checked on D2OPSRD whatever and it wasn't on Dreamscarred's pages, so is from an unreleased book?
>>
>>43848149
The Harbinger player class is technically released already. in PDF form. but I suggest holding out on buying it until Path of War: Expanded is out fully, whenever that may be.
>>
>>43847949
>Does this mean that every time I grapple, and maintain in any way, I can deal that damage?
Yes. An amount of damage equal to your Wis bonus, it's affected by DR since it's bludgeoning and you can add Cavaliers Challenge damage to it.

After the initial grapple, every round you have to spend a standard action to maintain the grapple. This checks deal auto Kraken style +challenge damage and gain the +2 to CMB. Whenever you make a check to maintain a grapple you also do one effect between:
>deal damage with unarmed strike, light weapon or one handed weapon
>move yourself and the enemy up to half your speed
>Pin
>If the target is pinned you can grab rope and tie him up.
With a check to do damage, you add your challenge damage again.

If you get Greater Grapple you can make another check to maintain the grapple as a move action, getting the Kraken Style auto damage again.
That means after the first grapple, you can hit the enemy twice a round, deal Kraken style damage twice, and deal challenge damage four times.
>>
File: Lizardfolk_Warrior.png (474 KB, 558x763) Image search: [Google]
Lizardfolk_Warrior.png
474 KB, 558x763
>>43848149
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444869-Dreamscarred-Press-Path-of-War-Expanded!-)

New initiator in PoW:E.
Semi-relatedly, what's your favorite flavor of initiator?
>>
>>43848176
DR only applies to weapons, it may or may not actually apply to this sort of damage.

Also, my build is set up to abuse the fuck out of Throat Slicer.

I have one level of Master of Many Styles, to combine Snapping Turtle and Kraken Styles, to allow myself to grapple anything that misses me in melee, use greater grapple to suffocate (Render unconcious) as move action on next round, then CDG with a standard via Throat Slicer (Typically with a Bane Heavy Pick, because dat crit mod), and kill most targets in 1 round.

Does this sound like it makes sense?
>>
>>43844430
I'm a fan, but that's because I really like the aesthetic, and because I'm of the opinion that not every new class has to break the game, so I don't feel the need to whine about the lower overall power level. I think most of the Occult classes hit about the right point of balance, and the classes that are super-powerful that make the Occult classes look weak are the ones that need to be reined in.

Anyway, I like it, but it has a very distinct flavor and theme to it. It's not psionics, but psychic magic, with a Victorian feel. Things like seances and hypnotism and stuff, nothing like what psionics in D&D style games have been so far.
>>
File: Kestrel.jpg (25 KB, 324x533) Image search: [Google]
Kestrel.jpg
25 KB, 324x533
>>43848149
Harbingers are a mobile initiating class that deliver debuffs & interdiction to targets of opportunity. They're themed around comprehension of sorrow and emphasise the use of strikes and leap-in-leap-out combat. Pic related; she's the iconic.

You'll find the (heavily outdated) playtest doc here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HCtvRArIRPjcClMf5KVJrDBrkV_gBoaVFuvwA4CmCew/edit

Harbinger was the first mini-release related to PoW: Expanded but as anon says here >>43848169 you may want to wait on acquiring it. Though that version is mostly complete, there's been edits since then due to post-publishing feedback, because of course shit gets noticed in the fucking 11th hour. However, I would be remiss if I didn't say you can just pick up the subscription and get that and Mystic, then Zealot & Supplemental when those come out, and the final PDF. Waiting is, of course, always an option.

Or you can pirate it but...please don't? I mean. I'm not gonna stop you but sales help us afford passion projects later on.
>>
What are the best sorcerer bloodlines for blasting? Just anything with +1 damage/die on blasts?
>>
>>43848253
Tattooed Crossblooded Sorcerer, Draconic/Orc.

You're welcome.
>>
>>43847130
What's it called?
>>
Hey /pfg/ last night I left without posting it, so here it is, the first draft of the table for my homebrew grapple based discipline, Unbreakable Chain

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DwJ2WkV-Lcq910vaA9ag6-Dlo6mw6r4TFjJ22pIBCYw/edit?usp=sharing

It's still in need of tuning and not all maneuvers have been fully written, so right now I'm only sharing the table. Tomorrow I'm going to finish and add the stances. If anyone wants to suggest a cool name for a maneuver or a maneuver that they think could fit into the discipline I'm willing to listen.
>>
>>43848218
>use greater grapple to suffocate (Render unconcious)

Kraken Throttle doesn't work like this, it simply starts the normal suffocation rules, it's not an instant knockout. However it's unnecessary because "Throat Slicer" lets you CdG pinned opponents. So simply use the move action maintain to pin the guy then CdG him on the next round.
>>
>>43848253
>>43848264
And don't forget VMC: Wizard with the Evocation school and the Admixture subschool. +1/2 level to Evocations and the ability to swap damage types is amazing for a blaster.

Also, if all you want to do is blast, try to convince your GM to let you use Words of Power. You lose a lot of niche spells, but you can get low-level stuff as Pages of Spell Knowledge, and the versatility of WoP is really nice. Plus, you get access to a 10-foot cone energy damage cantrip.
>>
>>43848295
Normal suffocation rules start at unconcious.
hell, RAW, it instantly kills, because it claims that the target "Suffocates", while suffocation ends with "Suffocate" representing death.

Its a complete nonsense move, don't get me wrong.
>>
>>43848320
Combine them, you can do the admixture wiz, with 1 level of crossblooded tattooed, for a completely broken character.

Something like 10d6+15 fireballs, at level 6.
>>
>>43848331
That's the thing, no sane DM is gonna let you use it like that. Unless you've confirmed its okay with the DM, always err on the interpretation that it doesn't work. Besides, now that we have Throat Slicer it's unneeded.
>>
>>43848218
>use greater grapple to suffocate (Render unconcious)
This part is DM dependant. Kraken Throttle is either a insta knockout or you begin suffocating and it takes 2xCon score + ~10 rounds before they pass out. It's either powerful enough to make the DM smack you with the CRB or useless. Check with your DM before building around it.
>>
Is there a fighter archetype that has an animal companion? something that wears some heavy armor and has a companion.
>>
>>43848344
Eh, I prefer going full Sorcerer and just using Variant Multiclass to get the Admixture stuff. It takes a little longer to really kick in to the huge damage numbers, but I'm a much bigger fan of the versatility of Sorcerer casting when it comes to blasting.

>Something like 10d6+15 fireballs, at level 6.
Shouldn't that be 10d6+22? +2 per die (+20), +1 per 2 Wizard levels (+2).
>>
>>43848384
You can just spend 3 feats to gain a full companion, and since you're a Fighter, you have plenty of feats to spare.

Nature Soul
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/nature-soul

Animal Ally
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/animal-ally

Boon Companion
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/boon-companion
>>
>>43848225
Hey Gareth, I love the Elemental Flux's 8th level stance as a 'hulk-out' thing, are there any plans for anything else similar to that (minus obvious elemental bits) planned for other disciplines?
>>
>>43845442
>Terrorspawn
>+2 CHA, +2 STR, -2 WIS
>Cause Fear
>Intimidate, Knowledge (planes)
>look intensly frightening, but less in a Qlippoth spawns way of being ugly and disgusting and more by being unnerving and dangerous looking
>>
File: 1438795887992.jpg (235 KB, 1077x1200) Image search: [Google]
1438795887992.jpg
235 KB, 1077x1200
>>43847525
Ugh, this. A friend is bringing a grappler to replce his dead character in Skull&Shackles, and i'm already quivering with fear.
>>
Hey /tg/ my party needs a healer and I want to play an Initiatator, what would be best way of doing this? I'm thinking Warder with the Silver Crane discipline.
>>
I need mook classes for my pcs to fight, the mooks should be Hobgoblins that use tech weapons, but I cannot decide on what classes to use.
>>
>>43847850
>Giant monsters cant be grappled
At low level sure. Past a certain point grapplers start being able to match the CMD of anything.
>>
>>43847850
My level 7 Cavalier/MMS has a +22 CMB on Grapples, +29 to Maintain.

Wand of Enlarge Person means I can grapple whatever the fuck I want, for the most part.
>>
>>43848492
Trench Fighters maybe?
>>
File: Healer.png (684 KB, 600x777) Image search: [Google]
Healer.png
684 KB, 600x777
>>43848489
Warder is good for denying blows but don't neglect how much a Warlord's presences can bring to the table. It really depends on how squishy your group is. If everyone else is going with d6/d8 hit dice go straight for Warder.
>>
File: GM Screen photo.jpg (8 MB, 3568x5081) Image search: [Google]
GM Screen photo.jpg
8 MB, 3568x5081
>>43847704
I bought ult. Psionics. cost me a fortune. Stupid import costs.

As for a GM Screen, Premade GM Screens a shit.

Get a 2x 3-ring binder-based GM screen, held together with those mini-binder clips (take the arms off of them once its assembled)

Then you put in a couple of those page-sleeves, with 100 lb stock in the middle, and use a couple more binder clips to hold the things in place if need be.

Been a little while since I GMed a game, so I'm currently using mine to hold a 10-page pathfinder sheet (includes stat blocks for summons, spell descriptions, etc - it's thorough), but it works really well, and has whatever I want it to have.
>>
>>43848511
you say that, but monsters have higher hit dice and ability scores as CR rises, so ???
>>
File: YPdr6mn.jpg (117 KB, 942x629) Image search: [Google]
YPdr6mn.jpg
117 KB, 942x629
Hi there /tg/. I'm a little new to GMing, and I'm hosting the setting that happens when the PCs fail Book 6 of Wrath of the Righteous and, while I have a few coherent ideas, it might be a good idea to get a few ideas from outside sources. First off, what are some good things to throw at them other than Demons and Demonic tainted enemies? Second, how should I deal with the radiation coming from the nuclear blast from Numeria ? Finally, they want to go Mythic, so what are good guidelines to use when creating a Mythic Trial? Thanks, I have a pic related Map, and feel free to ask me questions if you don't know the setting I'm talking about.
>>
File: how 2 mesmer.jpg (68 KB, 700x320) Image search: [Google]
how 2 mesmer.jpg
68 KB, 700x320
>>43848225
>Curse of the Shattered Mirror
>Gives the Cursed condition
>Nothing else in Shattered Mirror that I can find interacts with this at all
Eeeeh.
Has this been patched?
Also, she kind of looks like a weenie so perfect for the harbinger

I mean, I get the archetype and it works, I'm just not fond of it. I kind of want to keep Shattered Mirror, change some ability names, and write up an illusion-based disc to swap Cursed Razor for to patch them into being fightier Mesmers.
>>
File: GiantPortrait.png (556 KB, 850x977) Image search: [Google]
GiantPortrait.png
556 KB, 850x977
>>43848511
>Past a certain point grapplers start being able to match the CMD of anything
Didn't some guys do the math that pointed out the exact opposite?
Not hating, I like grappling but it's the unloved child of the unloved child of this system.
>>
File: index.jpg (5 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5 KB, 300x168
>>43848577
Cyberdemons.
>>
File: tumblr_nn68xeEgfh1ri1r1uo1_1280.jpg (225 KB, 1004x758) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nn68xeEgfh1ri1r1uo1_1280.jpg
225 KB, 1004x758
hey /pfg/, ever had that one artwork that fit your concept perfectly, but could not morally use due to it being already part of a famous franchise?
>>
>>43848599
It certainly gets treated like shit, but properly built, you can easily break the CMD charts.
>>
>>43848577
a troupe of holy warriors gets slaughtered by Asura, and the party finds them desecrating both their temple and their dead.
>>
File: 1355605006271.jpg (122 KB, 800x1289) Image search: [Google]
1355605006271.jpg
122 KB, 800x1289
>>43848440
Perfect.
>>
>>43848622
Nope.

Pic unrelated, it is my newest character, a Child Drow Necromancer.
>>
>>43848547
That should work.

Thanks.
>>
>>43848622
Yep.

Fucking Hetalia.
>>
>>43848572
>>43848599
No, the number of potential boosts to CMB through items, feats and class features (plus your own ability scores and BAB rise) FAR outweigh the boosts to CMD. Ability scores boost CMD yes, but there are almost no other ways to boost it significantly and ability scores also boost CMB. You might not be able to beat a 40 strength titan on strength but you will be able to grapple the tarrasque.

I don't have the build on me where someone on /tg/ proved a level 18 barbarian could grapple the tarrasque 75% of the time for like 2-3 rage powers and 5 feats, but grappling is VERY possible.
>>
>>43848225
Hi Gareth, I know Pirating may seem scary to a developer, but I just wanted to take this opportunity to remind you that a pirated copy is not necessarily a loss of a sale.

I buy quite a few products (including Ult Psionics, most recently). I don't buy RPG Products without knowing I will use them anymore (been burned too many times), and at this point for me that means if I can't pick it up and read it before I pay for it, I just don't buy it (maybe if it's <$5, and even then, I probably only make such an impulse purchase on something with good reviews and a sample.)
>>
File: _1.jpg (508 KB, 1280x937) Image search: [Google]
_1.jpg
508 KB, 1280x937
>>43848668
Sucks, i know.
>>
>people asking about using large-sized weapons
Tieflings can have the ability to use them without penalty with DM permission.
>>
>>43848622
Not that I remember.

The one time I did use art from a popular series,it was a screenshot of Spock.
Because I made Spock in D&D4.
He was the most well made character I ever did.
>>
>>43848582
Looked through my Harbi PDF. It looks like Shattered Mirror has a lot of curses in it, but nothing that triggers off curses. From that, I can surmise that the goal was to give the discipline synergy with Cursed Razor and Eternal Guardian since adding in those keywords didn't make it any weaker of a discipline.
>>
File: Turunova.jpg (183 KB, 750x1064) Image search: [Google]
Turunova.jpg
183 KB, 750x1064
>>43848622
Nope, I played Blair from Soul Eater. I was even shameless enough to use her cat form as my Cat Familiar.
>>
>>43848682
Well, at that point you're not pirating. You pirated, yes, but by buying the product anyway if you like it you're no longer doing so.

And if you don't like the product and you delete it from your hard drive? Then you didn't share it and you wouldn't have bought the product anyway, so you're still not pirating.

It's only when you like something, and then decide "fuck it, I have it already, why bother paying for it?" that you're pirating.
>>
>Sakhil each embody some kind of fear, phobia, or unnervation
Take something that does one of these things to you, and make it a Sakhil.
Then show us!
>>
A question about soulknives and psyarmories

Is there a build or archetype that lets me quickly alternate between using different kinds of weapons?

I want to be able to throw a net at an enemy, trip them with a mind-blade scythe, 5ft step closer, hold them down using a mind-blade mancatcher, then deliver a coup-de-grace with my offhand mindblade.
>>
>>43848810
Hmm. Fair enough.

If I don't end up buying it, I typically don't delete it, it sits unused on a hard drive in case I ever decide to take another look at it again.

Unless the book is out of print/impossible to get without resorting to massive prices for shitty worn out used copies (like d20 Conan) - then I just put up with the pirated PDF.
>>
>>43848489
I don't know if I would try to play a party healer with just Silver Crane. You should check out the Knight Disciple Paladin archetype, it gives you up to 6th level maneuvers instead of spellcasting, so you can still go Silver Crane. It also has an ability that lets you give an ally 2x level temporary HP every time you initiate a strike, and replaces Smite Evil with an ability that gives all allies (but not you) DR equal to your Charisma against the target. Basically, preventative "healing" rather than direct hit point recovery. It looks pretty cool, if you don't mind the Paladin oath and all.
>>
>>43848878
Well, thats what everyone assumed the Psychic Armory would be before it came out based on description. Instead its an overpowered "fuck you soulbolts" archetype that makes you feel bad for playing a soulknife without picking it.

That said I'm pretty sure they can use emulate weapon etc to make their different blades (one handed, two handed and with form mind daggers, light) have different traits.
>>
>>43848878
The Living Legend (see the pastebin) has the ability to change what their mind blade is shaped like like 1/round if they use the Champion path.
>>
>>43848914
>Emulate Weapon
>This blade skill may be taken multiple times; each time, it allows the soulknife to form her mind blade to replicate a different melee weapon.

Fuck
>>
>>43848577
Radiation rules are here:
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/technologyGuide/hazards.html#radiation
>>
File: Sanity.jpg (32 KB, 300x230) Image search: [Google]
Sanity.jpg
32 KB, 300x230
>>43848682
I'm aware. The thing you've gotta remember is that DSP is co-owned by a guy who could not give less of a fuck about piracy and a guy /who literally ran for political office on the Pirate Party ticket/. I've been online for ages; I know how the game goes. But there's some things that just gotta be said, y'know? /pfg/'s been...very generous, to us, and I'm appreciative. Think of the plea as a reflex, not an admonishment.

TL;DR against all sanity I trust you people.
>>
>>43848489
Bushi with Silver Crane is surprisingly effective. Utilize the sheathing recovery mechanic to make sure your healing strikes are always up. You will still be dealing good damage too, since once you get 3rd level strikes the healing strikes also add extra sacred damage.
>>
File: 1391102442599.gif (309 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1391102442599.gif
309 KB, 500x281
>>43848978
>TL;DR against all sanity I trust you people.
Well that's just mean. Thanks all the same!
>>
>>43849012
I want to make that snake my familiar.
>>
>>43849012
That snake is fucking adorable.
>>
>>43848978
I don't know if I've said this before, but I would like it if you guys had a donate button, where we can select what we're donating for from a list, and leave a comment.

You make stuff I like. I would like to encourage you to do so, perhaps more than once for a single product, or for something that isn't for sale yet, or what have you.

I may also be willing to put money down up-front on products that are specifically relevant to my interests. Might cut down on my need to homebrew.

And unlike Paizo, you guys pay attention to your playtests, fix your mistakes, and give a shit about more than pretty pictures and SJW Pandering.

(Paizo does make nice bestiaries though, I have to say).
>>
Do you use pictures in your games, DM? Like, pictures from the internet that you've just snatched up, not personally-drawn stuff. Is it lazy/unoriginal to tell your players "It looks like this" and then turn your laptop around for them to see an image you've pulled up? I have a lot of pictures I think look cool, or which inspire me with ideas, but I wonder if most people might find it a little distasteful.
>>
>>43849100
I usually write out a few sentences on the appearance of a creature with lots of interesting adjectives.

The imagination is always better.
>>
>>43849099
>Paizo does make nice bestiaries though, I have to say
Gotta agree. The gorgeous art is nice. I just wanna point out that some 3PPs do actually put out gorgeous art. Particularly anything from Kobold Press tends to have higher quality art than Paizo when you average together everything.

Also the Psionic Bestiary from DSP has art worthy of a bestiary.
>>
File: mccs-mob-red-magi.jpg (76 KB, 700x690) Image search: [Google]
mccs-mob-red-magi.jpg
76 KB, 700x690
>>43849100
I don't think it's so bad, especially when you need to explain detailed shit. Ultimately it depends on who you bring to the table, the rest of us are just fags on the internet. Just flower it up so it's not just "It's this."
>>
>>43849100
Nah, that's not a terrible thing to do. It gives a general idea of what they're actually supposed to look like, and there's generally enough pictures on the internet where you can find something that looks very close to, if not exactly what you're looking for.
>>
>>43849100
Sometimes.

The main issue is I really don't like the "turn your laptop" bit. It's slow, distracting, awkward, and clunky.

I've tried printing them out and making custom gaming aides, and that's been okay.

I've been considering GMing with my desktop monitor plugged into my laptop or something. I haven't figured out the best solution yet.

I recently figured out a near-ideal battlemat option though. And it only cost me $20 (and like an hour of my time). I have a custom perfectly sized 1-inch grid tablecloth that sits on my kitchen table, with a vinyl tablecloth protector on top that I can draw on with wet erase markers.

1-inch grid "Iron-On Interfacing" for sewing, ironed onto some sturdy chocolate colored fabric (the fabric shows through as the interfacing isn't 100% opaque).
>>
>>43849100
I'm saving all this character and background art for some reason. If I feel like it fits the idea of what I've crafted I'll use it as a visual aid, otherwise it's just verbal descriptions.
>>
>>43849136
I have a pirated copy I recently downloaded. I have yet to have a chance to look through it.

Are the monsters inside very good?

Do you get a lot of use out of it? Should I look into this further now, rather than leaving it sitting in a folder unused until later?
>>
File: PZO1133-Su.jpg (157 KB, 1000x732) Image search: [Google]
PZO1133-Su.jpg
157 KB, 1000x732
>>43849213
It's got aliens, their version of psychic weirdness, two new Outsider groups, additions to older Outsider groups, and lots of fairies.
>>
>>43849119
>The imagination is always better.

I know people say this a lot, but I'm not so sure it's always true. Setting aside the subject of unimaginative people who won't get much from verbal descriptions (seeing as unimaginative people usually don't make great players in the first place), I feel like pictures can be better by certain measures. For starters, I think a worded description can lack a certain... force, that quality artwork can have. That element that makes it pop, so to speak, making it really stand out. Also, I think pictures may be useful when the precise shape or design of what's being pictured is important- the symbol of a cult is an obvious example, but other situations could be a picture you have of the entrance of a dungeon where the image shows exactly how the multiple entrances to the complex are arranged (making it less confusing) or an NPC who has a certain important feature that you don't want to mention yourself because drawing attention to a random detail like that may cause your players to meta-think that detail is important.
>>
>>43849240
I'll give it a skim through then.

And, again, if I decide I want to actually make use of it (more than once), I'll shell out the money for a hard copy.
>>
>>43849213
new races, like +2 strenght sasquatch small race and George Bush shapeshifting reptilians
>>
>>43849213
>>43849240
>>43849253
Hoooold up anons. Are you talking Bestiary 5 (Paizo) or Psionic Bestiary (DSP)?

'Cause that description does not match the latter at all.
>>
>>43849253
Speaking of buying DSP Products, Canadafag here:

Gareth.

Any news regarding a Canadian distributor or Canadian PoD Service so your books aren't so damn expensive? (Your books sometimes cost almost three times what a paizo book costs. I get that supply volume can bring costs down, but sheesh)
>>
>>43849145
Actually one thing I was wondering was whether it's better to present some art and say it looks just like this or to show it to the player and then tell them "It looks like this except for blah, blah, and blah". Somehow, the second seems worse to me.

>>43849196
I agree, since I feel like pausing to turn around your laptop and hold it up, or pass it around the table, or make everyone come over to look at your screen, or whatever other method, really takes people out of the mindset of the game and breaks the immersion.
>>
File: 1440969448743.jpg (851 KB, 921x1196) Image search: [Google]
1440969448743.jpg
851 KB, 921x1196
>>43849274
Did someone mention me?
>>
>>43849255
A small str race, a god send for cavaliers
>read their thing for never riding horse
Those fucking cunts
>>
>>43849274
I was asking about Psionic Bestiary.

But it does sound like he's describing Bestiary 5, which I just got today, now that you mention it.
>>
File: ZlRlCKZ.jpg (52 KB, 412x549) Image search: [Google]
ZlRlCKZ.jpg
52 KB, 412x549
>>43849289
I'm gonna try to get with Bossman: Amurrica Edition on this when I can. His life finally evened out...sort of...and he's now available more often than 'never'. I /am/ sorry about the wait here anon. Only death will erase my shame.
>>
File: I love you.png (78 KB, 502x329) Image search: [Google]
I love you.png
78 KB, 502x329
>>43849255
>George Bush shapeshifting Reptilians
Anon, you made my night.
>>
>>43849304
Adorable.
>>
>>43849295
No one would ever do that.
>>
>>43849240
Bro, I said Psionic Bestiary by DSP. Pic related.
>>
>>43849311
Well, in the meantime, my DSP purchases are going to be few and far between, despite really liking your stuff. I'm really hoping for the prices to come down.
>>
>>43849337
My bad.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 61

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.