[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wodg/ World of Darkness General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: Wicked Dead.jpg (2 MB, 1628x2250) Image search: [Google]
Wicked Dead.jpg
2 MB, 1628x2250
What's your loser's love life like? Do they have one? What about friends, who aren't directly related to whatever magic shenanigans they get up to? Do you bribe the guy in the Mysterium records room with donuts? Do you go bowling with the Wolfblooded in your pack?

For all WoD books
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php
Onyx Path Schedule
http://theonyxpath.com/schedule/
Custom Character sheets
http://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/
Character-portraits from Pandora
http://gangrel.minus.com/uploads
Visit the wiki
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
For creepypasta
http://creepypasta.wikia.com
For diceroller (and guessing about other people's games)
http://rpgroller.com/nwod/index.php

Last thread >>43772883
>>
Mage GenCon 2016 or Bust
>>
What would a Promethean created as a result of a Changeling becoming a conduit for the Divine Fire be like?
>>
So last thread we got some Post-Apoc Vamp Bloodlines

>The Geigers
Vampires who can only feed on those with radiation poisoning, and in exchange get a Discipline based on being a RADS monster. This bloodline of Nosferatu eventually loses their ability to feed directly from corpses as their faces blossom into disfiguring tumors, the get around this by growing Vitae Tumours on their prey in order to feed.

>The Samsa Family
Cockroach Gangrel who have special resonance with those mutant creatures who can survive the toxic wastes. Their outward appearance tied to their humanity; at their highest family members look like pallid humanoids without Noses or Lips, at their lowest the look like horrifying monsters of cracked chitin, warped limbs and compound eyes.

>House Exodus
Merchants descended from a Ventrue who stockpiled a whole reservoir of water to maintain his posse of ghouls, and eventually developed weird biblical water-blood related powers. These powers include Walking on Water, turning it to Vitae and purifying it with a touch (the last one his hearsay.)

The OMAR Institute
A bloodline of cyborg Mekhet whose dead flesh lets them perfectly adapt to any cybernetic enhancement, ignoring the usual rejection issues. The phantom sensations of lost limbs interact oddly with their Shadow.

>The Rosies
A swinging Daeva bloodline who drink memories as well as blood, and stockpile bottles of pre-war "good times" to share amongst themselves and their most prized ghouls.
>>
Someone made their own separate thread about this but I want to know what /wodg/ thinks of this horrific scenario.

>What if Square Enix bought White Wolf and their IP's instead of Paradox Interactive?

Pic related
>>
File: Halloweentown.png (334 KB, 500x551) Image search: [Google]
Halloweentown.png
334 KB, 500x551
>>43811136
If we judge by Kingdom Hearts, the books would take even longer to come out.

Also, it never struck me how out of place the Kingdom Hearts logo font is. I don't know whether it's all people extrapolating or what, but this font looks like a Slayer coverband's logo font. Fitting it on the image nicely was a chore, and I don't really think I accomplished it.
>>
File: Final Girl Compact.png (2 MB, 2337x1699) Image search: [Google]
Final Girl Compact.png
2 MB, 2337x1699
Looking for advice on homebrew.

I'm making a Compact based on the "Final Girl" trope. It's a bunch of Slasher survivors banded together to fight monsters (mostly Slashers). I can't decide what their subgroups should be named. I'm going with Camps, and they're so far named after Laurie Strode (want to get on with their lives), Buffy Sommers (fight back against monsters the most Huntery) and Reagan McNeill (look into the supernatural, although that's a dumb one because no one remembers Exorcist II and Reagan was really just a test subject, not deeply introspective into her own condition).

The other thing is what to do with their Status merit. You can see my idea for the compact in this scan of my notes, if you can read my chickenscratch, but so far I've got:
1: Grants Indomitable or Tolerance for Biology, alternately some special version of Taste where they can ask questions about a murder victim to learn things about the slasher.
3: Grants Mind of a Madman supernatural merit, or maybe just Cursed.
5: I'm sort of tripping here, either I just give them some outright Supernatural powers or something like True Friend or Hobbyist Clique that rotates each session.
>>
>>43811357
>>43810386
Oh God, the unreadable fonts are getting worse.
>>
File: Aswang.jpg (522 KB, 1600x964) Image search: [Google]
Aswang.jpg
522 KB, 1600x964
>>43812004
The one in the intro is Hannibal Lector, and it's much more readable than the previous Vampire font, p22 Cezanne. The other one is the Kingdom Hearts font, which has a lot of extra shit but isn't really unreadable.

The main font (Garish Monde) isn't even unreadable.
>>
I need more help for spreading Christmas Cheer!

In the previous thread I asked how to tell the difference between new and old World of Darkness books, because the person I have drawn in a Secret Santa wanted New World of Darkness books, and a used book store near me had some World of Darkness books of indeterminate age.

You were all very helpful, and it turned out the books at the used book shop were indeed New World of Darkness!

However, there's a complication. All the nWoD books there were Mage the Awakening books. The exact text of my Secret Santee's request reads "any NWOD Hunter/Changling/Prometheus/
Vampire book (seriously, I have none after the core and could use it)"

I don't know enough about World of Darkness. Should I read an implied "etc." at the end of his list of specific games, and get him the Mage: the Awakening books? Or would this lead to Christmas disappointment?

And a related question. The store also had some back issues of Mind's Eye Theatre Magazine for really cheap. Should I throw one or two in the box as stocking stuffers, or would that be a waste of money?
>>
>>43812124
Damnit I really wish Chrome would ask me if I want to close a tab when I'm typing in a text box.

Anyway, I'd say primarily he's interested in those game lines. Not that getting him Mage would be a total bummer necessarily, but that doesn't mean it's what he's looking for. He might even hate Mage. I don't know what his specific preferences are, but it sounds like he doesn't have anything after the corebooks. So I'd suggest getting him this:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/123898/Vampire-The-Requiem-2nd-Edition
It's the new edition of Vampire, that just came out last year. It updates the rules and setting, and gives a lot of overhauls to everything, as well as putting them in a self contained single book. There's also this Hunter supplement:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/129193/Hunter-Mortal-Remains

I don't really know what your spending limit is, or whether 40$ (much less 50$ for the premium) is within it.

Beyond that, a few suggestions:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/113340/World-of-Darkness-The-GodMachine-Chronicle
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/117396/The-Strix-Chronicle-Anthology
^That's Vampire fiction
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/108003/The-GodMachine-Chronicle-Anthology
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/141741/The-Firestorm-Chronicle-Anthology
^Promethean fiction
>>
>>43812423

How long is PoD printing times, though? Secret Santa Anon might be on a schedule.
>>
>>43813195
It can't be that long. I doubt they're all that much longer than a regular online order. So maybe a week or so. If you ordered one now it'd probably get to you by next monday.
>>
>>43812423
spending limit is thirty bucks. I could get him 3 Mage books for that from the used book shop, vs. one of something else. So that's the gamble.

I'm also gonna include some homemade pecan brittle. So even if I do get him a bunch of Mage stuff and it turns out he hates Mage, he'll at least have pecan brittle
>>43813195
It's gotta arrive at the dude's place by Christmas Eve
>>
>>43813472
>So even if I do get him a bunch of Mage stuff and it turns out he hates Mage, he'll at least have pecan brittle
Pretty good outlook on life.

Anyway, they'll probably have a sale in December. I mostly don't want to say "go for Mage" because I know there are some people who kind of hate it for whatever reason, and he didn't say he's got the corebook, so without that he's kind of screwed (no sense buying tires if you don't have a car).
>>
>>43813195
I got my stuff in about 4 days when I ordered through DTRPG.
>>
>>43813675

The original message seems to imply that the person has the WoD core already, so it should be fine.
>>
File: Merry Christmas.png (2 MB, 701x1024) Image search: [Google]
Merry Christmas.png
2 MB, 701x1024
>>43813972
Yeah, but you'd still need Mage core to get any use out of Mage supplements.
>>
>>43811984
>I'm going to take a TROPE of THING and turn it into THING
Oh man this sounds awful.
>>
I just watched Ex Machina and now I want to play Promethean like whoa.
>>
>>43814164
Ava is what I want out of the Unfleshed
>>
>>43814030

At least it's actual horror stuff. I could at least see a Compact of Final Girls being a thing. I figure when you're at Status 5 of that Compact, you might as well be Erin from You're Next: an otherwise normal person who can totally do slasher stuff.
>>
>>43814030
>I'm going to take the hardline Catholic witch hunter trope and turn it into a Conspiracy
>I'm going to take the demon hunting half-demon trope and turn it into a Conspiracy
>I'm going to take the secret monster hunting government agency and turn it into a Conspiracy
>I'm going to take the militant end of days Protestant trope and turn it into a Compact
>I'm going to take the conspiracy theorist internet geek trope and turn it into a Compact
>I'm going to take the religious drug dealer trope and turn it into a Compact
>I'm going to take the repentant Nazi occultist trope and turn it into a Compact
>I'm going to take the magic treasure hunting archeologist trope and turn it into a Conspiracy
>I'm going to take the psychic FBI agent trope and turn it into a Conspiracy
>I'm going to take the supernaturally powered serial killer trope and turn it into an entire supplement
>I'm going to take the Most Dangerous Game trope and turn it into a Compact
>I'm going to take the skeptical scientist in a setting with supernatural elements trope and turn it into a Compact
>I'm going to take the Hellfire Club of rich thrillseekers trope and turn it into a Compact
>I'm going to take the secret Protestant knights trope and turn it into a Conspiracy
>I'm going to take the amoral medical company trope (mix it with the body horror surgery trope) and make it into a Conspiracy
>I'm going to take the monster hunting college girl trope and turn it into a Compact
>I'm going to take the ecoterrorist hippy trope and turn it into a Compact
>I'm going to take the blue collar vigilante trope and turn it into a Compact
>I'm going to take the voodoo spiritualist trope and turn it into a Conspiracy
>I'm going to take the secret No Such Agency agency trope and turn it into a Compact
>I'm going to take the touchy feely naive psychologist trope and turn it into a Compact
>I'm going to take the monster hunter family trope and turn it into a Compact
Guess them all and win a prize.
>>
>>43814530
Eh. Nah.
>>43814240
>At least it's actual horror stuff.
Ye, that's at least some improvement. Though it's far too narrow to be interesting.
>>
>>43814530
Is "psychic FBI agent" a trope? Otherwise, yes, all the compacts/conspiracies are very tropey.
>>
>>43814575
Psychic FB... autofills with i agent tv show.

MK-ULTRA was also a real thing.

>>43814570
What's narrow about it and what would you suggest, then?
>>
>>43814778
>what would you suggest, then?
Slasher survivors in general. They can use the "taint" left on them as Endowment. Give them some innocuous name like Blue Pearl Support Centre and ostensibly dedicated to helping trauma survivors.
>>
>>43814831
Just because the idea is based on Final Girls doesn't mean they all have to be girls. Although a name like Blue Pearl Support Center does sound better than "Final Girls Club", at least as an official name.

I was also thinking more a Compact, not a Conspiracy.
>>
>>43814575
>>43814778

VASCU's literally Wacky TV Procedural Character: The Compact, except a bit more serious for the WoD setting. That's why it's the best: with VASCU I can have Dale Cooper, Shaun Spencer, Tru Davies, and Patrick Jane go hang out with Will Graham and go catch Francis Dollarhyde while giving Hannibal Lecter the side-eye.
>>
>>43815215

>not inviting Frank Black
>>
>>43815215
Honestly I've seen it more as The Dead Zone if Johnny Smith was on the X-Files. Although good on you for remembering Tru Calling is a thing that exists.
>>
What happened to all the WoD filenames?
>>
>>43816288

That person probably just doesn't in the thread anymore. It happens.
>>
>>43814922
Even better if they actually help trauma survivors and, in the meantime, take a 'proactive' stance to nipping emergent Slashers in the bud. When one woman comes in, talking about a particularly sadistic and abusive lover, a few key members go and meet this nascent monster and end their life in a manner that sends a message.
>>
>>43810529
Like a normal Promethean. Changeling's have tattered souls, Prometheans do not.
>>
>>43816465
I had a Sin-eater (Reaper) who did that. Hung around rape and abuse survivor meetings and looked for people to murder.
>>
If a vampire bites a pregnant lady on her boob, does milk come out?

Maybe that's a good defense to prevent the vampire form getting nourishment, since it would have to be spitted out.
>>
>>43817577
Pretty sure vampires can drink liquid infused with vitae, and you could even rule that milk from the tap contains vitae, since it's from a living creature and all... life-y.

Not sure how it's a defense, though, since there's no reason a vampire would even need to do that.
>>
What process would you guys go through to stat out an Abomination?

Okay, now, how would you alter that process for a fourth-generation Abomination?
>>
File: Platon-Aristoteles.jpg (38 KB, 315x400) Image search: [Google]
Platon-Aristoteles.jpg
38 KB, 315x400
>>43817618
I'd see big enough boobs granting bonuses to defense, man.
>>
>>43817670
Big boobs should give an Athletics penalty unless you're wearing a sports bra.
>>
>>43816288
As much as I like them, I'm not very good at coming up with them. Last one I did was pic related.
>>
File: Carthian Movement.png (718 KB, 1142x620) Image search: [Google]
Carthian Movement.png
718 KB, 1142x620
>>43818094
I actually have a bunch, I just don't want to spam the thread.

This is my favourite, since there's already a Marxist revolutionary thoughts edit, but I didn't like that so I went back, took the original panel, edited it with the lyrics, and then saved it with a WoD filename. A friend on Facebook who loves musicals said it's the best thing ever.
>>
>>43817670
>>43817898
If it's nWoD, then defense works by reducing the attacker's dice pool, so:
Big tits = distracting = roll penalty.
>>
>>43817630
>to stat out an Abomination?
Plot device ●

>a fourth-generation Abomination?
Plot device ●●●
>>
Most of my filenames are actually WoD related, because everyone else just makes D&D or 40k ones, with a few Shadowrun.

>>43818122
Yeah, but if we go with that, then big tits give a bonus to grapple rolls or touch actions.
Unless you're like me and not a pleb and don't find huge tits attractive
>>
>>43818114
you ruined a funny image
>>
File: Adamantine Arrow.png (2 MB, 1280x1295) Image search: [Google]
Adamantine Arrow.png
2 MB, 1280x1295
I'm torn between AA and Guardians, or maybe Obrimos.
>>
>>43818133
Lame. Trying to make a character sheet for an obscure lore character.
>>
File: Hunter The Vigil.jpg (225 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
Hunter The Vigil.jpg
225 KB, 900x1350
>>43818144
Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

>>43818157
Knowing oWoD one probably already exists
>>
File: Spring Courtiers.gif (578 KB, 540x303) Image search: [Google]
Spring Courtiers.gif
578 KB, 540x303
>>
>>43818168
You'd be surprised. I think he gets an offhanded mention in two or three extraneous splat books. Which is a shame, since he's awesome. Not only a Methuselah Abomination, but the only Mokole Abomination to exist.
>>
>>43818168
that's not even a joke! how can you be so bad at this?
>>
File: Becoming a Sin-eater.jpg (303 KB, 1076x916) Image search: [Google]
Becoming a Sin-eater.jpg
303 KB, 1076x916
>>43818207
Because you have bad taste
>>
File: Changeling the Lost.jpg (24 KB, 384x288) Image search: [Google]
Changeling the Lost.jpg
24 KB, 384x288
>>
File: Average Hedge denizen.gif (491 KB, 400x380) Image search: [Google]
Average Hedge denizen.gif
491 KB, 400x380
>>
>>
File: Founding moment of The Union.gif (514 KB, 415x272) Image search: [Google]
Founding moment of The Union.gif
514 KB, 415x272
>>
>>
>>43812004

I can't recall which book I read recently but it had all sorts of fiction written in completely illegible font. I was getting really fucking angry that I couldn't read a single story considering the book needed them to make sense. I think it had to do with gods of death or something. Maybe Book of the Dead?
>>
>>43818378
>>43818365
>>43818353
>>43818329
>>43818319
>>43818268

These are pretty awful. You can stop now. At least bring them out in context as a reaction to another post.
>>
>>43810466
>reminder that /wodg/ seriously thought Mage would be out by Halloween
>>
>>43810466
>Mage GenCon 2016 or there will be a fucken rebellion.
>>
>>43818665
>>43810466

You guys are just being facetious right? August is just a joke, we'll get it by February. Right?
>>
>>43818665

Nope, GenCon 2016 will be the big Paradox/WW announcement that both the oWOD and nWOD have been cancelled, sorry... "retired," to make way for the bigger, better, more awesome, metaplot-tastic "One World of Darkness."
>>
>>43818678

GenCon is the safest bet. That way, we either get pleasantly surprised that it's early, or we're delighted that it came out at such an exciting time, or in the worst case scenario, we're only slightly miffed that it's late.
>>
File: 1422065133145.gif (855 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1422065133145.gif
855 KB, 640x360
>>43818796
But Anon, I am sure those artist will be done soon, right?

And then... and then Paradox approval can't take that long... right... right?
>>
>>43818678
I wish I were. But looking at how slow OPP has been, it feels disturbingly likely.
>>
>>43818704
If it means we got more bloodlines-quality games that incorporate at least some of the nWoD material then I can't be sad about this.

Maybe they'll even launch the new-but-classic setting with a whole new set of core RPG rules that aren't garbage for once.
>>
>>43819389
I like 2e. What don't you like? The only real "problem" is that Defense is so high, but it's not insurmountable most of the time (and definitely not if you don't play with people who put 5 into Athletics) and better than when it was useless.

What would you change? (I've said it before, but lower of Athletics/Brawl or Athletics/Weaponry for Defense)
>>
File: 1400126835589.jpg (125 KB, 1146x720) Image search: [Google]
1400126835589.jpg
125 KB, 1146x720
Okay, guys. I'm trying to build a campaign for the Nasuverse by using the current NWoD template.
I need to know some sample builds for a few characters in the franchise. For example, arcanum paths for mage characters or clans for vampires.
I would also like to know where things like Mystic Eyes and Demon Blooded characters come in and whether Servants would be considered ghosts or spirits etc. etc.
>>
>>43819600
>Mages
Magic users in the Nasuverse are more like Proximi than Awakened. Awakened magic is pretty much True Magic in Nasu's fics. Just pick a fitting theme for a magic users and give them appropriate Blessings. Curse is optional.

>Vampires
Probably have Vigor, Resilience and Protean "in-Clan", with the ability to develop other Disciplines with some extra effort. They do Frenzy. Do not care about sunlight (from what I remember). No Clan Banes. Consider lots of funky Devotions to mix it up.

>Mystic Eyes
>Demon Blooded

Probably best as Supernatural Merits for mortal characters. Akiha basically has a somewhat more restricted version of Psychokinesis (Fire). Mystic Eyes of Death Perception allow dealing Aggravated Damage and Tilts for Called Attacks.

>Servants
Somewhat hard to model in basic nWoD. You might want to consider splicing Charms from Exalted into nWoD.

Otherwise, consider many auto-success, auto-damage, damage mitigation abilities and shenanigans that play buggery with the basic system. Basically, look at the Fighting Merits and imagine if they went from 1 to 10. Go OTT with 6+.

They should have a Supernatural Tolerance Trait that some abilities temporarily modify (i.e. you have Divinity so have a high base SupTol, but Anti-Divine weapons treat it as 2 lower or whatever). They use Mana as Fuel for the most powerful abilities.
>>
>>43819728
>Magic users in the Nasuverse are more like Proximi than Awakened.
Never thought of that, good suggestion. However, I always compared True Magic to Archmasters. Regular Awakened just seem a tiny bit underpowered when compared to True Magicians.

Something else to consider about Nasuverse vampires is that many of them are also mages, but the WoD system doesn't allow Awakened/Vampire hybrids. Also, where would True Ancestors fit in? Even though they are also "vampires", they are still fundamentally different from Dead Apostles.

And yeah, I'll REALLY have to work at Servant construction.
>>
>>43819600
It is not the kind of thing that can be done one to one. For one thing, shit isn't even the same. Nasu characters often operate under the principle that everything works exactly as it says it works, and you figure out how to break it or make it broken from there. For example, Shiki doesn't have an ability that does damage, he has an ability that just flat out CUTS anything, because his power is "cuts anything".

Characters would be better stated in Storypath (Scion or Trinity) than they would nWoD.

That said, I did once run a game that was inspired by Fate/Stay. It was a one on one game, which cut out the need for Servant/Master divisions and having a bunch of players working against each other in teams. The player was trying to summon the Supernal Denizen that she saw during her Mystery Play and it turns out doing so made her the last member in a chess themed Familiar death match representing the Obrimos Path. From there it was a bit of a typical romance-while-avoiding-death plot, until both of us more or less forgot about the game.

>>43819832
Really you'd have to just completely homebrew your own everything from scratch (and again, the power level is way higher, more fitting Storypath; check out the Storypath previews).
http://theonyxpath.com/codename-sardonyx-teaser-the-first/
http://theonyxpath.com/codename-sardonyx-teaser-the-second/
http://theonyxpath.com/codename-sardonyx-schemas-and-scales/
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/trinity/537689-codename-sardonyx-teasers/

Vampires don't function remotely the same way in the Nasuverse as they do in World of Darkness, for instance.
>>
>>43819832
>Vampire Mages

If you make regular magic users Proximi then there is really no problem. Vampires can buy Blessings. Done. If you keep Blood Potency you might want to change the dice pool to something using BP.

>True Ancestors
At that point you reach bullshit tier anyway, no reason to hold back. Making them something like vampires with high Potency and 5+ Influences (like Ephemeral Entities) seems to make sense. Make them use Essence.

Really, a lot of this stuff can be modelled in nWoD, but you should not get hung up on trying to keep it close to the original design intentions. Throw together what works.

Also this >>43819892
>>
>>43819509
>(and definitely not if you don't play with people who put 5 into Athletics)

That's a red flag right there. The game is broken if maxing out a basic skill at character creation causes problems. It's less of a problem that the game so strongly incentivises investing in athletics no matter what your concept, but still annoying.

I don't like most of the changes in 2e. The combat and damage rules annoy me (too swingy, I like bashing). The experience system isn't to my taste, though in fairness it's easy to ignore "beats" and hand out xp at milestones as usual.

My bigger problem with Storytelling 2e is that it doesn't address any of the things I wanted changed in the system. The first order of business should have been cutting down the bloated skill and attribute lists, because they're both mixtures of marginally useful (eg Politics) and indispensable (Composure) traits. In an ideal world I'd like to see the whole role of skills reassessed - I feel they ought to work more like merits or disciplines, where every dot grants a substantial benefit or opens up new actions, instead of granting a slightly improved chance of success across a very wide field like all of academics.

Like for instance it's kind of crazy to me that you have a game system that rates every person's ability to drive on a six-point scale, and doesn't make space for characters who don't know how to drive. And under what circumstances is an extra die in Drive worth the same as one in Weaponry? Rolling an extra success on an attack roll will always give you a concrete benefit. That whole skill would work much more neatly as a line of merits that features powers such as "has driver's license", "has pilot's license" and "gets +3 dice in vehicle chases"
>>
>>43820038
I think most of your stuff can be addressed very easily. Realise that no, not every Skill is going to be equally useful in every Chronicle. Communicate that to your players (or ask your ST about it).

To paraphrase the developers being facetious:
"Firearms is overpowered! You can kill a few dozen people with it!
Politics is overpowered! You can kill a few million people with it!"

Also, your problem with Skills being too general was addressed by making Specialisations better and more flexible (stacking, related Merits).

>and doesn't make space for characters who don't know how to drive.

Persistent Condition. The player can even earn Beats for handicapping themselves.
>>
>>43820038
>That's a red flag right there. The game is broken if maxing out a basic skill at character creation causes problems.
But most games have that. Almost every game allows minmaxing. I don't really know any game where you can't put all your skills into one or two things (at the cost of everything else), except maybe the ones where you have no control over character creation.

Also, I feel like a lot of what you've said isn't stuff that I'd want out of WoD in the first place. Like, >>43820093 is right in that not every skill is going to be equally useful (or SHOULD be equally useful). Drive doesn't usually provide much of a benefit because most games don't have a ton of high speed chases or stunt driving, but that doesn't mean it's a "useless" skill. But beyond that, Merits and Skills work differently because a Skill is the basic trait that shows your competency at a certain breadth of tasks while a Merit allows you to alter the normal rules of the game (Merits that are "+1 to thing" aren't interesting, Merits like Taste are).

I mean, your argument could also be turned around; Weaponry (and Brawl and Firearms) should be Merits. Violence is so inherent to the system that your ability to attack should be a basic trait, the way that Ballistic Skill and Weapon Skill are in Warhammer or Base Attack Bonus is a thing in D&D. But those systems don't really treat skills the same way that a game like WoD (or Fate or GURPS or any other similar system) does. WoD is a system where your abilities are determined by your Skills, and those skills actually matter (as opposed to being useful).

>Like for instance it's kind of crazy to me that you have a game system that rates every person's ability to drive on a six-point scale, and doesn't make space for characters who don't know how to drive.
As >>43820093 suggested, a Persistent Condition, but really you can just say "my character can't drive".
>>
You know, maybe the RED team from TF2 could work as a Motley.
>>
>>43820093
>Politics is overpowered! You can kill a few million people with it

No doubt the intent of the skill was to represent characters who manipulate organizations to whatever ends they please. The thing is, the rules don't really offer a lot of mechanical support for that, and the situations where you need to make a politics roll aren't clear. Your character whose objective is to start a war for the god machine is probably going to get better results investing in a lot of Status, Manipulation and social skills, things they know for sure they're going to need. If you do invest heavily in Politics then the Storyteller is probably going to let you roll it, but if you don't you'll probably end up getting the same result with some other dice pool.

Conversely when I buy a point of Firearms it makes my character *quantifiably* better at shooting to death, and it gives me and advantage that I can't blag my way into with anything else because of the weight that the rules give to violent conflict. I just want all skills to be that well defined, or not to be core skills.

>Also, your problem with Skills being too general was addressed by making Specialisations better and more flexible (stacking, related Merits).

That was an improvement alright. I still don't think specializations are great though. Having an interest in microbiology gives you an extra one in 3 chance to get the success that might let you know an important microbiology fact. That sort of thing ought to be a on/off switch imo - if you buy a specialized field of knowledge just get all the relevant information when it comes up.
>>
>>43820190
>But most games have that. Almost every game allows minmaxing.

Yes absolutely. And you should be allowed to put all your dots into one or two things if that's the kind of character you want to make. I'm saying if that kind of behaviour puts stress on the system, like say making your pro athlete practically unhittable, then that's a flaw in the game itself. Minmaxing is a really common behaviour in RPGs, because it makes straightforward characters who get to be badass in their little sphere.
>>
>>43820289
Politics is a knowledge skill. Just like all those people who put points into Knowledge (Engineering) and try to make things that wouldn't exist in the Dungeons and Dragons setting.

I will agree with you that Specialization could be handled differently. In some of the books there's suggestions of specific skill rolls that take penalties unless you're specialized (motorcycles are -4 without a specialty, for instance, so is piloting). Honestly I think specialties should be handled more like in Exalted, where your Specialties are ranked 1-3. I also think that Mental skills should only be rated 1 to 2 and require you to take a Specialty to go any higher, with some rolls giving higher penalties if you don't have the right Specialty. Knowing a certain chemical reaction off the top of your head, or knowing what a certain mineral is.

I don't think that World of Darkness is "broken" or bad for not doing it that way, and I understand why they have it the way they do.

>>43820317
But again, that's a thing that happens in every game, and it doesn't really put that much stress on the system. Yes, the person is unhittable, but it's not like the ST can't do something about that. Even then, just because the SYSTEM allows you to do a certain thing doesn't mean that players SHOULD be allowed to do it. For instance, I don't allow anyone to start with a skill over 3 at character creation because I just flat out don't like extremely exceptional characters to start out. Minmaxing is a common behavior, but STs should know when to put a stop to it. That's true of every game. I wouldn't want players to make a character in any system that was minmaxed. I once lost a player because they minmaxed their Mutants and Masterminds character and didn't like when I told them off for it. It wasn't a big loss, though.
>>
>>43820360
>Minmaxing is a common behavior, but STs should know when to put a stop to it.

your philosophy is so alien to me I don't think we can have a productive discussion.
>>
>>43815298
see
>>43815278
>>
>>43820379
There's no system that can't be minmaxed. While, yes, systems should discourage that in some capacity (usually by requiring you to put points in a way that keeps you from being good at everything) it's still always going to be a possibility to crunch the numbers and create a mathematically superior character.

It's the role of the person running the game to say "no, you can't be an Olympic level athlete, that isn't the game I want to run, and you can't at all justify that with your background".

That's something I would have expected to be common sense, not an "alien philosophy".
>>
File: 1391722286309.gif (949 KB, 301x300) Image search: [Google]
1391722286309.gif
949 KB, 301x300
So what's wrong with the gangrel.minus.com gallery? Like 90% of the pictures there are missing or I can't seem to get them at all.
>>
>>43820379
I think more STs should stick to the houserule of no starting ability dots over 3 unless it's an important part of your character concept.
>>
>>43820430
No idea. I haven't looked at it in ages. I tried to make my own Minus gallery, but it just wants me to sign up for Meow chat.
>>
If you take 5 dots in one trait or another you're not making assertions about the setting, you're declaring that this is the part of the game that you most want your character to take part in and succeed at. I just can't fathom the mindset that puts a blanket ban on characters being good at a particular thing from the moment they see play.

You guys realise the difference between 3 dots and 5 is less than one success right? That isn't the gap between an olympic sprinter and joe average. The game mechanics are not there to simulate what people are capable of in real life.
>>
>>43820493
>You guys realise the difference between 3 dots and 5 is less than one success right?

Well, in the extreme case it would actually be 6 (3+3) versus 10 (5+5).
>>
>>43820493
The mechanics are also representations.

And if you've ever actually played in a game, you'll know that characters with 5s are harder to deal with than characters who cap out at 3.
>>
Which Compact/Conspiracy would fit Solomon Kane the most? What about a Compact/Conspiracy BASED on his life? Which advantages would it confer?
>>
>>43820861
Who?
>>
>>43820910
Given this general's usual tendencies it's probably something weeb.
>>
>>43820935
>it's probably something weeb.
>Solomon Kane
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_Kane
Here he is you utter humpty-dumpty-numpty.
>>
>>43820944
So the compact/conspiracy with the Benediction endowments.
>>
2e's not a bad system, but its biggest flaw is that it actually shows off how creaky and old the underlying engine of the game is. For all its strengths, it's never not going to feel more like 1e with a set of house rules than a fresh edition.
>>
>>43820910
Famous pulp hero written by Conan creator Robert E Howard. He's a Puritan witch hunter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_Kane

>>43821084
Honestly, it made me realize 1e was flawed in ways I didn't realize, and I fucking loved 1e. I was actually worried that I'd become a grognard and edition war because I liked 1e so much, but then I looked at 2e and I can't go back. It'd be like playing Assassin's Creed 1 after playing Brotherhood. Or Metal Gear Solid 1 after playing Snake Eater. The mechanics are so much better that it's crazy.
>>
>>43821084
>2e's not a bad system, but its biggest flaw is that it actually shows off how creaky and old the underlying engine of the game is.

Yep. I wonder sometimes if the guys at OP would have made more fundamental changes had they been given the go ahead to make a second edition from the beginning, instead of having to sneak it through as a series of campaign books.
>>
>>43820806
I have experienced minmaxed characters from both sides of the gm screen. With 1e's xp costs it was practically obligatory to buy a 5 with your bonus dot.

It was never a problem in play, because it's easy to declare whatever opposition the PCs face is just as good as they are, but I admit I didn't like how it constrained effective build choices.
>>
>>43821248
I don't like having to make the antagonists savants to deal with players who are savants.

I'd rather everyone was within the mechanical bounds of normal humans, with all their bonus dice coming from equipment or circumstance.
>>
>>43821277
Are everyone's attributes in the 1-5 range? They're within the bounds of normal humans.
>>
>>43821321
1 is beginner for skills, hindered for Attributes.
2 is average.
3 is skilled
4 is highly trained
5 is Olympian.

I don't like running games for Olympian characters.
>>
File: Solomon Kane.png (2 MB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Solomon Kane.png
2 MB, 1000x1500
>>43820861
>>43820944
>>43821190
>>
So, how big of a sin against Wisdom is it to create from whole cloth an enormous lion demon - bound to be loyal to anyone who knows its secret name - to protect your family from wizards?
>>
What would be the best Splat to make Nick Valentine? I'm Seeing him as a Wizened who's Fetch got obliterated when the Bombs fell.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Nick_Valentine
>>
>>43821867

The Clockwork Dick would make a decent Promethean.
>>
>>43821190

Thing is, I don't think 2e goes far enough and some of it just introduced new problems. For every step forward it takes (flat XP rates!), it takes 2 steps back (The beat system, while pretty OK in general, still feels like a desperate attempt to encourage a slower character growth rate for the sake of a slower character growth rate).

The problem for this edition really does come from having it originate from WoD being a licensed product as opposed to being in-house, and from having to tiptoe around the major 1e mechanics in its development.

For the next edition, I'd like to see whoever is in charge attempt to do a full renovation of the system, killing off sacred cows if necessary. A horror game version of something like StoryPath might be neat, though I wouldn't want the new system to be a straight up fork of it.
>>
>>43823029

In my experience, the Beats system allows for pretty rapid character progression, as long as you have an ST who knows how to handle conditions and players willing to engage in drama.
>>
>>43823029
>(The beat system, while pretty OK in general, still feels like a desperate attempt to encourage a slower character growth rate for the sake of a slower character growth rate)
I mean, your characters still grow at about the same rate they would anyways. Now you have some decent guidelines for xp gain beyond "however much the ST feels like".

If beats/xp bothers you so much, just call beats xp, and multiply all the xp costs by 5 or w/e. It changes nothing.
>>
>>43823029
Slower character growth is good. I hate stupid lightning fast character growth. And Beats puts character progression on the player. A lot of supernatural templates can churn out beats pretty fast.

>>43823235
I think his problem is that he feels Beats come too slow.
>>
>>43823303

I'd like to think there's a proper medium between "lightning fast" and "super slow" character progression, which I don't think Beat accumulation has if played RAW and with the averase group. I could just have Beats be XP and then raise all the XP costs by five, but then what's the point of having the Beat system at all, if not for obfuscation of the the real XP cost of things?

Beats'll accumulate decently enough with proper play, which I approve of, but I feel like it's a bit of a steep learning curve for totally new STs and players. I'm not worried about that, though, because a proper 2e core is coming soon that I think will solve that. Honestly I think a full 2e core is going to solve or ameliorate most of my non-legacy concerns with the system, so fingers crossed.
>>
>>43823636
Beats played RAW has character growth put into the hands of the players, encouraging them to do things to earn experience.
>I could just have Beats be XP and then raise all the XP costs by five, but then what's the point of having the Beat system at all, if not for obfuscation of the the real XP cost of things?
Because they weren't allowed to say "Experience".

I don't know if 2e Core is going to fix most things. I mean, we're not likely to see a change to Defense or Beats being changed to Experience or anything like that. Those are too set in stone and by now we've had five major releases (GMC, Demon, Vampire, Werewolf, Beast) using these rules and people have already bought their hardcopies and aren't going to want to reprint versions that fix all the little problems.
>>
"Slow Experience gain" is a bit of a silly argument as in the end this needs to be adjudicated by the GM anyway, depending on the needs of the Chronicle.

From an in-universe perspective PCs tend to actually develop too fast in most Chronicles. That is their prerogative as protagonists, but still.
>>
>>43824046

Is it a fact that they couldn't use the term "experience"? I don't remember hearing hearing that from any developer. Either way, that'd still be related to one of the problems of the new edition: it's hampered by being a license and not an in-house product. Nothing to be done about that, and at least in the end we're finally getting a dedicated book.

When I mean "fixed or ameliorated", what I mean is that the rules will have a decent amount of breathing room, so that learning the game will be easier, and hopefully with more rules clarification. It also means the rules will no longer involve having to go between an appendix and a core book from a decade ago or an abbreviated chapter in a game's core book, which was probably the biggest issue with 2e.
>>
File: Kowloon.jpg (2 MB, 2000x3260) Image search: [Google]
Kowloon.jpg
2 MB, 2000x3260
How would you use Kowloon in your games? Even just a "Kowloon was never destroyed" sort of thing. It seems like it could be rife for WoD shit. Pretty sure there's at least one anime with supernatural shit going down in Kowloon.

>>43824763
They've said that CCP didn't want them to create a full second Edition, meaning they had to work within the existing rules and could only provide an update. Stuff like Beats seems to be a result of that.

Also, yeah, if you're a new player it's kind of been a shitty time to get into WoD because of all the things you technically require. The rules in the back of the book don't really function as a complete rules set.
>>
>>43824896
All the spirit of the original fortress went coo-coo as the Walled City got built on top of them, hell, there may have even been a Lodge or three in there.
>>
>>43823029
Maybe we'll get a good homebrew of nWoD for the upcoming StoryPath system.
>>
>>43824896

How did that place not turn into one enormous fire?
>>
In W:tF 2E, can i drag a human in the Shadow? I didn't find anything on the core
>>
>>43824896
>City of Anarchy
This is terrible; They were very much not anarchists. Just because it's not an elected government running things doesn't mean they're anarchists.

As for using it, I'd probably use it as a city-sized Locus for spirits of commerce with oracles and informants on every gods-forsaken corner. Probably the kind of location where PCs can quite easily get themselves swarmed if they try to go for the violent approach but which can yield near-limitless amounts of clues if they're just willing to pay attention.

Iron Master-controlled pseudo police forces probably have a fairly badly developed sense of humour.
>>
>>43825590
Yes. Just drag them through a locus.
>>
>>43821342
5, in two combined attributes, with several applicable specialities, is Olympic level.
>>
>>43825692
What happens when Iron Masters start fighting Demons?
>>
>>43825590
Yes. You don't really need anything special, even. As long as you can open a door to the Shadow you can throw someone into it.

>>43825737
Whoever wins, we lose.
>>
>>43825692
>Just because it's not an elected government running things doesn't mean they're anarchists.
Having no official legal system and no oversight of any kind is indeed anarchy.
>>
>>43825775
No. It had a justice system, just not an official one. Thus it wasn't an anarchy, it was merely a zone that operated under other laws and rules.
>>
>>43825737
>What happens when Iron Masters start fighting Demons?
What do you THINK caused the 2008 stock exchange crash? Spamming Freeze Assets against that thing Uratha have is bound to create some turbulence.

It's actually kinda amusing how many splats have I'LL END YOUR LEGAL EXISTENCE powers. Hell, even Bound have something that causes others to pretend they don't exist anymore AFAIR.
>>43825775
But they did. Namely a semi-tribal system run by a complex weave of the community and outside groups.
>>
File: Anarchy in the UK.png (14 KB, 555x253) Image search: [Google]
Anarchy in the UK.png
14 KB, 555x253
>>43825822
>>43825837
It had no government and no laws. It was one giant example of why Thomas Hobbes was wrong. There were no laws, just the common sense and the fact that no one would try to get away with something because of how other people would view them or what they'd do to them.

I don't know what you think "anarchy" is, or why you think it's not that, unless you think only riots are anarchy.
>>
>>43825925
Do you think that all tribal societies are anarchical?
>>
>>43825925
Read the definition you posted. By the Exarchs, do you really need us to do all the work for you?
>>
>>43813472
I'd say go for getting him three books then. Do you know which ones they have? We could make recommendations as to which ones are the most useful.
>>
>>43825955
>>43825983
Actual tribal cultures aren't anarchic; ad hoc self-governance with no officiality or legalism is. Kowloon but safer is how a lot of Anarchists would like the world to work.
>>
>>43826084
Do you think stone age tribes wrote down their laws?
>>
>>43826084
You're one stupid fuck.
>>
>>43818947
There's also the layout phase in between art and approval, and Dave has to make his last pass as well.
>>
You know, I think being a Changeling and getting away from all that Jazz, only to Awaken as an Acanthus would be rather shocking.
>"No. Nononononono. NO! Not again, NOT BLOODY AGAIN!"
>>
>>43826249
We know templates cannot stack, but CAN changelings even awaken? It seems odd. Like a Vampire or Promethean Awakening.
>#EndChangelingDiscrimination
I bloody well won't. Freaks won't stop going after our daughters.
>>
>>43826286
Nope. Their souls are too broken.
>>
>>43826110
>>43826190
So basically no one can ever be anarchic, because the second people agree to work together they're not an anarchy?

>Anarchism is a political philosophy that advocates self-governed societies with voluntary institutions. These are often described as stateless societies,[1][2][3][4] but several authors have defined them more specifically as institutions based on non-hierarchical free associations.[5][6][7][8] Anarchism holds the state to be undesirable, unnecessary, or harmful.[9][10] While anti-statism is central,[11] anarchism entails opposing authority or hierarchical organisation in the conduct of human relations, including, but not limited to, the state system.[6][12][13][14][15][16][17][18]

>>43826249
>>43826286
>>43826320
Only mundane non-supernatural Sleepers or Sleepwalkers can Awaken, and also Proximi. People with psychic abilities or hedge magic or supernatural merits lose their abilities if they Awaken.
>>
>>43826349
>because the second people agree to work together they're not an anarchy?
You.
Are.
A.
Stupid.
Queer.
And.
Need.
To.
Die.
>>
>>43826286
That was meant to be a joke about how the Awakening of an Acanthus takes them to Arcadia, the place the that the Changeling in question was doing everything in their power to get AWAY from, in a word, Changeling PTSD.
>>
>>43826349
>Only mundane non-supernatural Sleepers or Sleepwalkers can Awaken, and also Proximi. People with psychic abilities or hedge magic or supernatural merits lose their abilities if they Awaken.

What about Ghouls, Wolfblooded, Tier 3 Hunters?
>>
>>43826349
>So basically no one can ever be anarchic, because the second people agree to work together they're not an anarchy?

Pretty much. Yes. Anarchy is by it's very definition lawless. If there are any rules or laws it's not an anarchy.
>>
>>43826655
IIRC gaining a major template erases any minor templates you've got.

So they fall into the latter category with other people who lose their shit.
>>
>>43826366
>>43826670
The issue here is that you don't understand what anarchism is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchism

>>43826655
Many Tier 3 Hunters are still completely human. Even the ones who aren't only have supernatural merits, which like I said don't transfer even if you do Awaken.
Pretty sure Ghouls can awaken (there might be an example character who was if nothing else under the thrall of a vampire) and Wolfblooded probably can or could in 1e (they could be vamped, and there was a Bloodline for it), but again, they stop being those things and are just Mages.
>>
>>43826725
"Anarchy" the state-of-being and "Anarchism" the political philosophy are not the same thing.
>>
>>43826771
And one of them describes Kowloon, while the other... ... still described Kowloon, especially considering the common usage of the term. You just like whining, don't you?
>>
>>43826808
So Kowloon is home to one Magath that was originally all of the Shrine Spirits before the fortress got build upon, they were summarily eaten by a Spirit of Anarchy once Kowloon started growing in earnest.
>>
>>43826808
What whining? That was my first post in the thread, and I was calling the "Kowloon wasn't anarchy because they weren't actively subscribing to a political philosophy" anon silly.

I'm not sure who you think you're responding to.
>>
>>43827000
Oh, were you agreeing with me, or disagreeing with me? It's hard to tell on the internet.

I'm not one of those people who think self-identification is everything. Sure, it's important, especially when genre is murky, but if you only have sexual attraction to men, you're gay, if you're of African descent, you're black, if you don't conform unambiguously to binary gender norms you're transgender, and if you're a radically stateless self-governing arcology populated by squatters in the middle of Hong Kong territory with voluntary institutions, you're an anarchy. Even if that's not what you call yourself.
>>
>>43826808
No. Kowloon wasn't an anarchy, and they who lived there weren't anarchists. They simply had their own set of rules.
If it were an anarchy, there wouldn't be any rules.
>>
kowloon would be baller for dark eras though
>>
>>43828160
Shit yes. Werewolf would probably be the best one, but Vampire could probably give some good ideas. And fucking wizards in the walled city would be a blast.

You could do a Hunter game that's basically Dredd.
>>
File: Kindred_logo.gif (55 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Kindred_logo.gif
55 KB, 320x240
>2nd Edition books are awesome.
>RL friends aren't interested in playing them.
>Stuck playing D&D IRL.
>Too scared to embrace the horrors of MU*s.

How do people get their WoD fix these days?
>>
>>43828389
It'd be a pretty terrifying Hive for a brood of Beasts too.
>>
>>43826655
Hunters lose any powers that aren't equipment, Ghouls can't Awaken, Wolfblooded on the other hand *do* keep their powers if they become mages.

Wolfblooded are an exception to the "you lose minor powers if you become a supernatural being" rule.
>>
>>43828160
Hong Kong on the cusp of transition would be great in general.
>>
So nWoD first edition seems pretty completely for the three main lines. There are books on all the vampire covenants and clans, books on all the mage orders and one on the paths. The werewolf auspices got examined in several separate books if i remember right, the players guide, signs of the moon and something else as well. There have also been various other books picking apart the different parts of the setting. I guess what im wondering is, what parts of the game have changed enough to justify new books in second edition?
>>
>>43830075
The crunch and the writer's liberal bias are what changed, so the older books are getting updated to be less retarded mechanically and much more retarded SJW-y
>>
>>43830075
Most of the mechanics have been overhauled. Mage for example seems to be one of those which has been the most affected.
>>
>>43829954
Really? That's interesting. And a bit odd, coming from you, since you don't seem to want your chocolate in anyone else's peanut butter. Mages with Tells? What about the Rites? Can a regular Mage learn Rites, since mortals can learn them? Can a Mage be part of a Pack in the same way that a mortal or an animal can?
>>
>>43830275

I think anyone can be part of a pack, even if they don't know they can.
>>
>>43829954
Can Changelings Awaken? Does anyone at or above Status ●●○○○ in a Conspiracy have enough Abyss in them to cause Paradox?
>>
>>43830438
>Can Changelings Awaken?

1 template/character. Up to your ST if it's first come first served, or you can job change like in final fantasy by getting a new one
>>
>>43829954
Thanks!
Is Benediction an inherent power, or something granted from outside?
I mean, do they actually pray to someone, or is it psychic powers? Or maybe low-magic rituals they do?
It doesn't really matter here, but it is an interesting question, and I'd like to hear how you rule it in your games.

>>43830438
If they have inherent powers they are sleepwalkers, if they don't, they can be sleepwalkers, but don't count on it.
>>
>>43830458
>1 template/character.
I know, but the question is whether the template's replaced or if it's just a flat-out NOPE YOU FUCKED SON.
>>
>>43830438
Why would you even think Changelings can Awaken? I do wonder how they'll handle Hunters and the fact that the Supernatural causes Integrity loss. They might switch that now and give Hunters their own Integrity, or some sort of modified Integrity. Or Hunters are all on the verge of mental breaks.

>>43830458
>>43830485
You can't change templates.
>>
>>43829954
While we're talking about cross-game shenanigans: I know Mages are immune to Lunacy, but are they immune to a mummy's Sybaris, or Disquiet? What about Sleepwalkers?
>>
>>43830565
Ask your ST
>>
>>43830565

Mages ain't immune to Disquiet. I think only Beasts are immune to it, because they gave up their humanity.
>>
>>43830565
>Disquiet?
Pretty sure only Beast and Angels are.
>>
>>43830627
>>43830590
Are Mummies immune? What about Demons? I think Book of the Dead says Ghosts are, but there's still Wasteland.
>>
>>43811984
Okay, see, the issue with this is... it's too on the nose. What you want to do is dial it back, and come up with something that, in the modern day, is clearly a reference to the Final Girl idea, but has deeper supernatural roots in-setting. Remember, Conspiracies are /old/ and /powerful/, and those who join them are a step closer to monsters than normal humans.

Take it back to women-only mystery cults, to maenads and valkyries and Lilith. A cult descended from a princess who slew her own dragon, and decreed that women would be preyed upon by the night no longer - revived in the modern nights.

Their Endowment needs to be something outright supernatural, or else it's not a Conspiracy, just a Compact. Maybe shoot for a "code of conduct" - every power you buy consists of a rule you have to follow, and a permanent benefit you get if you do. Break the rule, you lose the power for the rest of the month (for obvious reasons). Theme any categories around female goddesses, possibly just virgin ones like Artemis, Tuonetar, or Mut.
>>
>>43830723

Ghosts are immune, there's no call on Mummies but it's probably safe to default to "Not Immune" since they're powered by pure lifeforce, I'd argue that Demons are probably immune to Disquiet but acting on the immunity is a potential Cover breaking point when dealing with late stage Disquiet sufferers.
>>
>>43819892
>Storypath (Scion or Trinity)
What? They don't use the same system, do they? I thought they were both Storyteller games?
>>
>>43829954
>Wolfblooded are an exception to the "you lose minor powers if you become a supernatural being" rule.

Whoa..., is that explicitly stated in either the W:tF or M:tAw 2e corebooks?

Did you lose a cage match to Stew, and now we have exceptions to previously iron-clad nWOD splat rules?
>>
>>43830773
>Conspiracies are /old/ and /powerful/
Except this is a Compact, and there are Compacts that were formed in the 90s.

>Their Endowment needs to be something outright supernatural, or else it's not a Conspiracy, just a Compact.
... which is what this is.

The filename is "Final Girl Compact", the post starts with "I'm making a Compact" and the scan starts with "A Hunter Compact". Why do people keep talking about how I need to be bigger and more DEEP to make it a Conspiracy? This isn't a Conspiracy. It's a Slasher trope as a Hunter group that fights Slashers. It's Cassie Hack or Buffy Summers (from the original movie, where she was basically "what if the victim girl kicked ass") as a Compact.

>>43830821
They're getting a new second edition which uses a new system. It's proprietary, since Onyx Path owns Scion and Trinity outright instead of licensing them, so they want to make their own system. Plus, the original rules were kind of shit.
>>
>>43830821
>Scion or Trinity
>What? They don't use the same system, do they? I thought they were both Storyteller games?

Not anymore. Onyx Path purchased the intellectual property, rather than licensed it like the WW lines, and thus both needed and wanted their own system for the upcoming second editions.
>>
>>43830627
of course Beasts are immune. Nothing's too good for everyone's new best friend.
>>
>>43830870
I'm curious to know this too.

Is a wolfblood that Awakens always a Thyrsus? It reminds me of that modified human bloodline/subspecies that serves the Praetorian Ministry (myrmidons?) that you wouldn't think were capable of Awakening but occasionally do, although they're always Obrimos.
>>
>>43830275
Wolfblooded don't lose their powers when they become any greater template. Stew's call, which I *think* is said somewhere in Werewolf 2E.

Yes, mages can join packs.

>>43830438
No, changelings can't Awaken.

Hunter Conspiracies don't get a free pass from being Sleepers. They have to have powers inherent in themselves or buy the Sleepwalker Merit like everyone else.

>>43830565

Mages are immune to Sybaris (and can even scrub it from the landscape with a Prime spell). Sleepwalkers aren't.

Neither are immune to Disquiet, unless Matt's changed how Disquiet works which I honestly can't remember. I just know the Mummy one because I have the crossover Dark Era open in front of me.
>>
>>43828542
I play with friends I've known for years online, over skype.
>>
>>43831184
Just looked it up. Mages are still affected by Disquiet in 2e.

>>43831144
Myrmidions are just Proximi, though, so they have a parent path. Wolfblooded mages don't have to be Thyrsus.
>>
>>43830925

At least the justification for them being immune is sound: they're pretty much the opposite of being a human, so naturally they're not bothered by a being powered by super powered fire.
>>
>>43828389
Werewolf/Vampire is thus the correct answer. That or >>43828592 with an extended section on what the other supernatural groups are up to.
>>
>>43831184
>Wolfblooded don't lose their powers when they become any greater template. Stew's call, which I *think* is said somewhere in Werewolf 2E.

Stew can make unilateral decisions concerning the Mage splat? Is that a OPP/WW seniority thing, or is Stew really just that cool or dangerous?

>>43831282
>Mages are still affected by Disquiet in 2e.

What Arcana and Practice, if any, would be required to render a mage immune to Disquiet?

Can mages sense and manipulate the Divine Fire/Azthos/Pyros, and if so, how?
>>
>>43832071
You can make yourself immune to Disquiet with something like Mind 3. The trick is thinking about using it, or realizing you're under the effects of Disquiet.
>>
>>43832071
>Stew can make unilateral decisions concerning the Mage splat? Is that a OPP/WW seniority thing, or is Stew really just that cool or dangerous?

Well, depending on how you look at it, it's a unilateral decision concerning Werewolf, not Mage. It is not like the Mage Core (or most supplements to come out) will discuss Wolf-blooded, so it means you must come from a Werewolf angle to even consider it.
>>
>>43818135
D cups are named so for Dragons.
Dragons are really cool.
Hence big tits are great.
>>
>>43831394
>At least the justification for them being immune is sound: they're pretty much the opposite of being a human

eh, I don't really buy it. I mean what makes them uniquely inhuman compared to say, a vampire?
>>
Now Demons for example have an unassailable justification for not having to give a shit about things humans find existentially, incontrovertibly horrifying. Every other splat is just different degrees of jaded.
>>
>>43832187
A Shielding Practice of Mind would probably bulwark against its effects, yeah.
>>
>>43832895
>Every other splat is just different degrees of jaded.
Depending on whether you drink their Kool-Aid you might instead say "enlightened".
>>
So, I was telling my friends about Werewolf 2e and they're actually interested in playing. I said I'd be down to Storytell, but I've actually never run a campaign before. Can anyone give me some advice for where I get started? Is Werewolf not a good gameline to start out with?
>>
>>43833860
Werewolf actually has good structure, and you're encouraged to make characters together. You just create a Sacred Hunt for them to go on, or introduce problems into their Territory, and they've got a perfect reason to care. They're basically Hunters only spookier.
>>
>>43833920
I'm more confused about how to create a territory and make a bunch of other spirits and characters to populate it. I was thinking about trying to convert stuff from Hunting Grounds: Rockies, but I don't know how easy that would actually be.
>>
>>43810529
I liked the idea of the Pinocchio Prometheans made out of the remains out of a Fetch/Changeling.
>>
>>43833860
Forsaken is an excellent game to start out with, as it has one thing going for it that others often don't, or devolve away from: player cooperation. The Pack might have rough spots and foibles, but it's unlikely they will backstab and murder each other.

My advice from when I ran Forsaken 1e is to build the group to cohese as best as possible; it'll be tough but it will help make a great focus point for the PCs.

After that, use whatever city you choose or make up, as a narrative device: find a map you like, see if you can determine areas where Loci would be (spirit world connections, essentially) and perhaps divisions of pack territory by neighborhood or district. Give the districts some flavor; Vietnamese town with the city's first Buddhist temple from about 60 years ago, the Irish Block in uptown around the mills and industrial areas; the vineyards and wilds on the outskirts in the north valleys, that sort of thing. You don't have to get into niggling detail, but flavor and atmosphere will make your job easier.

As far as antagonists and plots, Forsaken has a lot of great stuff. The book is full of easy stuff (Pure, spirits on this side, spirits on the other side, Claimed and Urged). Some ideas I used for sessions were:
* A spirit of Hunger had Claimed the owner of a Korean restaurant and was using a secret ingredient in the bulgogi. Led to one of the PCs screaming 'BULGOGI IS PEOPLE!' at everyone in the restaurant.
* A Pure pack is coming in steadily from the north, and its size means that the PC pack and two NPC packs in nearby areas must band together to deal with their mutual foes.
i* General city mischief. City rezoning is fucking up the spirit world. A thief stole an artifact that may have ties to the Children of Luna.

You have tons of options. Go wild.
>>
>>43833988
I've always liked the idea of a Fetch managing to turn themselves into a Promethean. If I where to make them into a Lineage I would give them the truly shitty challenge of having to turn other Fetches into Prometheans to complete their Pilgrimage.
>>
>>43833860
Some of the older books have good ideas for antagonists and plots, but make sure to adapt them to the changes in 2e before running with them.

1e concepts, 2e mechanics.
>>
>>43834827
>If I where to make them into a Lineage I would give them the truly shitty challenge of having to turn other Fetches into Prometheans to complete their Pilgrimage.
Their Disquiet could probably be based on the Zeka, just to make their job harder. And their Wasteland would be like the Ulgan version but tied to the Hedge. Their Disfigurements would show them as they really were, garbage held together with thorny vines. Not sure what their Humor would be or how they would regain Pyros from it.
>>
File: Constantine's Grave.png (2 MB, 900x1386) Image search: [Google]
Constantine's Grave.png
2 MB, 900x1386
>>
I've always been fascinated by the WoD setting. I'm a newbie GM and I'd like to run a campaign that's in the style in WoD if not with the mechanics of WoD (because my players are very unfamiliar with mechanics in general and I'd rather not overload them off the bat). How do I do a campaign set in a city with all sorts of supernatural hoodoo going on without it turning into a murderhobo monster-hunt-of-the-week? I really don't know how to make NPCs seem worth interacting with.
>>
>>43836965
Maybe Rheum (the mucus that eventually hardens into that crusty stuff in the corner of your eyes) or Cerebrospinal Fluid (brain).
>>
>>43838160
I think the latter mostly because I like the idea of sleeping in areas where large amounts of knowledge are held.
>>
>>43838144
That is a tricky thing to learn. To start with, try taking interesting characters from other idea, but put a few new spins on them, especially ones that make them important/interesting to the player characters.
>>
Anyone have any idea what's up with the Door and the Well of Dreams in Swords at Dawn? I kind of wish the book had gone into more detail about collective dreamscapes that seem to stably exist outside any one person's dream.
>>
>>43838160
Any idea for a Linage Name? I'm thinking that a Bestowment that would allow you to completely restore your body with garbage would be good idea..
>>
>>43838353
>Any idea for a Linage Name?

Lineage Name: Wulgaru
Nickname: The Devil Men
Progenitor: Djarapa
Element: Dream/Glamour
Humour: Spirituous Lymph (original name of the CSF)
Mockery: Dinewan (Those Who Cannot)

Bestowments: Earthsong (Speak to the elements, learn secrets from the ground itself)
Bestowment: Huntsman's Chant (Disguise self, track a target, feel the weight of 'sin' around others)

Created by the mad (some say criminally lazy) shaman Djarapa during a time before recorded history the Wulgaru lineage was created as a means to control and contain the myriad enemies man was facing at the time. Taking straw and wood he worked his magics for four days and nights, finally sinking into a stupor in which the voice of a multi-eyed being told him to seek out a certain place.

Upon waking up, Djarapa followed the voice's leads, only to see a half-finished puppet of thorny wines and grass lying at the edge of a lake, a knife made from an unknown substance buried where its heart might have been.

With a shrug he took out his tools, finding the knife quite handy at splitting apart the mid-sized chunk of Obsidian he'd found on the way (yes I know it's 1,5 degrees above even steel on the Mohs scale) which would later become the creature's eyes.

At first he thought his work another failure, angrily falling asleep with his implements still in hand, but upon leaving it turns out he was being followed...

Wulgarus Disquiet tend to create delusions in people. At first it's just simple things like the hallmarks of a mild psychosis, but increasingly their power will start twisting people's dreams, their own features overlayed with a twisted reflection of Arcadia's chaotic nature.

1/2

http://www.artistwd.com/joyzine/australia/dreaming/wooden.php#.VlcD3HarSM8
http://mythicalbeastwars.com/category/the-wulgaru/
https://books.google.at/books?id=qfTcKDzzqvIC&lpg=PA279&ots=uz4N92SICp&dq=wulgaru&hl=de&pg=PA279#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>
File: 5021_38715248.jpg (191 KB, 600x902) Image search: [Google]
5021_38715248.jpg
191 KB, 600x902
>>43838718
>>43838353
Their wasteland causes the Hedge to "bleed" into reality, mutating first plants then inanimate objects then creatures in a myriad increasingly disturbing ways.

Perhaps the most striking effect of their Wasteland is the way it seems to impose narrative upon the surroundings. This can range from people and things beginning to confirm to poetic rules in their language (think less rap battles, more street signs written in Iambic Pentameter, but I know /tg/ disagrees in this regard and always goes for the humorous option), lies coming to life and a host of similar effects that at first might make life seemingly more interesting but eventually render the entire area completely hostile to life of any form as even Changelings begin finding it hard to navigate it.

Thoughts? Got shit or just shit?
>>
>>43838718
>>43838760
Cool shit.
>>
Anyone has a list of all the possible backgrounds for a vampire player?

Incluing the ones that can be gained only by merits or rewards
>>
You want book?

Here shirt, fuck you
>>
>>43839403
I really aught to redo what's in the OP post, and maybe add thesubnet.
http://www.thesubnet.com/portal/wod/vtm/CreationBa.html
or
http://www.thesubnet.com/portal/wod/vtm20/CreationBa.html
>>
>>43839749
Eh. I wouldn't, That'd be just like adding 4shared or whatever links to book collections.
>>
>>43839690

I wonder if the shirt sales are decent. I've considered buying one every now and then.
>>
>>43839761
I've never seen one of those sites get hit with a C&D. Although I have seen them stop updating. thesubnet doesn't even have Requiem 2e.
>>
>>43839913
Probably because, unlike D&D and many other things, OPP is 3 people and don't have the time or energy to wander the internet looking for IP infringement.
>>
>>43840005
Two counterpoints:
Those kind of sites have existed even back in the original White Wolf days, and some of those are still around. Some of the old writers even played on a few MUSH games, so they clearly knew about them.

Second:
>Project Vaulderie
>>
>>43840121
I didn't say they don't know about them. But with 3 actual staff members AS THEY EXIST NOW, they don't have time to dig around for websites that reproduce tabletop mechanics and rules in total.

As far as Vaulderie, that came from CCP directly, and they HAVE a large enough set of staff and employees to do that type of sweeping. What's more odd is that they don't seem to care about the TT aspect, but when that was coming out -- with the potential to damage their capability to use the IP in a digital format and make money, if they DIDN'T C&D the project -- they jumped.

Mostly reflective of CCP itself, and I expect the same from Paradox as well.
>>
>>43838718
>a knife made from an unknown substance
There's your "cutting through obsidian" excuse: it's magic.
>>
File: laughing moe character.gif (1 MB, 430x516) Image search: [Google]
laughing moe character.gif
1 MB, 430x516
>>43840121

>Project Vaulderie

I still laugh
>>
>>43840272
Why? What's really shit is that they said it was okay, then decided it wasn't.

>>43840223
My point was that CCP could have put a stop to it, or old White Wolf could have put a stop to it, not Onyx Path.
>>
>>43840344

It's pretty hilarious from schadenfreude perspective. It's like that one Chrono Trigger fan project.
>>
Which VtM/V20 book has the rules for dhampyrs? I know The Wicked Dead does for 1e VtR...
>>
>>43840410
Dhampirs I think are in Time of Thin Blood for VtM, and maaaaaybe the new Anarch book for V20?
>>
>>43840549

Nuts. I don't think those were in the torrent I got off of TPB.

Best hope that DTRPG is merciful and has a Black Friday sale going live soon.
>>
File: 3DPG.gif (997 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
3DPG.gif
997 KB, 160x160
>>43840344

I laugh at people's misfortune

Laugh!
>>
>>43840619
Yeah dhampir in VtM are in Time of Thin Blood,but I couldn't find a record of them in V20. Their finicky little rules are gone over here:
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Dhampir

I'd build them as ghouls or revenants and amp up the XP costs. There's also I think a limit on how many Disciplines they can learn; I know they can't learn about the 3rd dot in anything, but I can't recall if they have other limitations.
>>
>>43840619

That's weird, I have it in my trove
>>
File: Hamon_Waves.png (731 KB, 578x718) Image search: [Google]
Hamon_Waves.png
731 KB, 578x718
What would the Ripple be like if it existed in the WoD setting/s?

Have you ever come across anyone that went as far as to try and stat up such a thing?
>>
>>43841672

It's pretty much a creative use of Prime and Forces done via martial arts.
>>
>>43841672
I figured out how to do it in a dream a few weeks ago. Then I lost it in another dream.
>>
Me and my housemate have never played Vtm, but I know a lot about the lore and got invited by an ST friend to join his Camarilla 1920's Jazz era game. He and I quickly came up with some characters (With some help from me) What do you think?

me: A Black Ex musician and slave who decided to stay in New Orleans after everyone moved to the big city, since there's no one who'd want to hire a Nosferatu anyways. He killed the current leader of the local branch of the KKK and used mask of a thousand faces to replace him. Due to the flaw which makes your hands bleed for a blood point per night, The KKK thinks this is a religious sign that I'm a saint and I take this as an opportunity to get them to drink it symbolically, leading to me being in charge of ghouls. This is very risky, obviously, because I might have angry KKK ghouls after me if they realize what's happened

him: A cowboy in the old west who was friends with the local doctor. He took smallpox victims and corpses infected with other ailments to him for "research" (Blood) in exchange for some money. Turns out he was a vampire and when his PC was dying of disease, he offered him the embrace. Now he's a detective, but he's kept his "reliable revolvers".

Thank you!
>>
>>43841672
It works better in Exalted. Solars are basically ripple users; they don't have the special breathing or the imagery that part 1 gives the Ripple, but they're powered by the Sun, and they channel sunlight.

Joseph and Caesar are literally Solars.
>>
>>43841783
The KKK won't care if you're black if you're a Nosferatu. Also you need to remember that mortals can pierce Obfuscate after the fact, so that disguise thing doesn't work well.
>>
>>43841805
Well 3e fluff doesn't match up 1 for 1. Ripple is explicitly some special technique, and charms are more abstractions showing how good your character is.
>>
>>43841870
3e is fucking garbage so that's to be expected.
>>
>>43841860

after the fact? I'm not familiar with this piece of lore. This old world of darkness btw. And obviously not, but they won't know I'm a Nosferatu anyways. The idea is to trick them,
>>
>>43841887
Oh actually, it's just Obfuscate 2 that they can pierce after the fact. You're fine if you use Obfuscate 3.

Also if you ghoul people, they'll probably never turn on you unless they have a will of iron. The blood bond makes you obsessed with the person.

Have you played VtMB?
>>
File: sesame-street-shit-1.jpg (103 KB, 500x556) Image search: [Google]
sesame-street-shit-1.jpg
103 KB, 500x556
>>43841886
Fuck you best edition yet i had fun
>>
>>43841907

Is the fact a big habbenin related to Fae or something in the WoD at large in general? And yeah, I did, and I said this to my ST, but he said he doesn't remember whether or not ghouls get a blood bond or just a similar effect and addiction, so I got a bit confused about it myself. Even better, then, I have a fanatic cult.

Also, my house mate is asking what you think of his character. He wants to be a part vigilante/detective that upholds the masquerade, but has a soft spot for humans, so he has a passion for the glamour of the wild west and gun-smithing. He wanted a batman-style selection of bullets with different effects, like fireworks and incendiary rounds.
>>
>>43842015
Ghouls are by definition blood bound. The blood binding is used to make ghouls.
There's independent ghousl, who are people that drink and leave before getting the full bound or just kill the vampire.
>>
>>43842036
>>43842015
Oh and as for your buddy, his character needs work. VtM is very much a storytelling game. If you specialize in combat, you're not gonna see much. And if you start killing people left and right, you're gonna lose humanity fast. You're not supposed to play wacky and insane people with VtM, that's what Mage is for.

The cowboy part is fine, but leave it at that. I'd wager that he should play a Brujah or Gangrel if he's gonna play a cowboy.
Honestly, his character doesn't sound as good as yours. It's less developed and seems more munchkinny and WoD games aren't about munchkinning. So try to avoid that. He should expand on his detective aspect. Go through the character creation questions again. Need to know what kind he is before he starts.
>>
>>43842096

I didn't tell you all about his character, but he doesn't want to be a munchkin or wacky muderhobo. though. He doesn't like that type of character. Let me elaborate a little.

His character was the acting sheriff for a small town because the current sheriff had left in a mission but hadn't been seen in a while and he was one of the most capable and oldest men and skilled with a gun. His family was pretty poor due to the birth of his son, so he accepted all work he could have. When the outbreak of smallpox started happening, the town doctor (A toreador with a passion for healing and medicine and the human anatomy) asked, regardless of the clear moral implications, if he could have some dead bodies or criminals that wouldn't be missed so he could study their bodies in exchange for some money, as their own little secret. He didn't like it, but needed all the money he could get. An outbreak eventually hit the town and killed most people. Eventually his family got hit and so did he. The doctor wanted to tell him he could help him and wanted to reward him for his talents and help with the embrace. Fast forward to the modern year and he's an upholder of the masquerade and a detective that wants to keep the line between humanity and the supernatural clearly separate, for the safety of humanity. The gun skills and special ammo are for spice.

>So could I do trick-shooting to compel a toreador to watch and distract him?

He's on the right track. just needs refining.
>>
>>43842096

"I get that a brujah might seem more ideal, but the idea is that it all comes from my sire and I was desperate for an embrace and didn't particularly choose to be part of that clan, I just wanted to live"
>>
Someone on the Onyx Path Mage: the Awakening forum mentioned the "Brutal Casting" merit for 2e.

Is this still a thing, and has there been any spoilers?
>>
>>43842590

Brutal Casting was David Hill's special merit thing. It was cut from 2E to the dissapointment of the Something Awful forums, who wanted to make fun of it.
>>
>>43841672
WoD is neither the system nor setting for it, not least of all because the underlying martial arts stuff just isn't feasible. I guess I could write up a Compact based around it but it's going to be magnificently shit.
>>
I'm once again grinning at the thought of Sin-Eaters ganging up on a Mage messing with their precious ghosts.

Shived by magical hobos is just such a wonderfully undignified way to go.

Speaking of that, what's the "truth" in your games? Are ghosts just reflections of memories the way spirits are reflections of concepts and Angels are reflections of duties, or are they actual dead people with unfinished business?
>>
>>43843058
>Mage with Spirits and Death is capturing ghosts in a graveyard
>Suddenly the Fog of the Styx rolls past leaving behind three Geists.
>This Mage is gonna have a bad time.
>>
>>43843690
Forgot the music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpF93JeQRrc
>>
>>43843711

Oh man, this is some deluxe cancer
>>
Was anyone here part of DaveB's recent playtest groups for Mage 2e?

Although spoilers would of course be great, could you provide any information or even impressions of the new system that's consistent with your NDA?
>>
>>43843711
>>43843690
I'd put something a bit more urbanite yet creepy there, myself.
https://youtu.be/n3WYBfltkzI?t=53s
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.