[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you bother creating a real dungeons, or are you one of these
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: Do you bother.png (759 KB, 1455x2147) Image search: [Google]
Do you bother.png
759 KB, 1455x2147
Do you bother creating a real dungeons, or are you one of these shitty GM who's okay with just having a bunch of rooms connected together?
>>
>>48242337
Elves are shit.
>>
>>48242337
real dungeons.

Sort of. I mean they're not always actually dungeons, they're more like alchemist labs, refurbished caves/mines, hidden cultists temples/shrines, and decently intact abandoned forts/castles.

Dungeons might crop up in those but dungeons are rarely the whole thing.
>>
Typically don't even do dungeons.
We did one recently that was part of a "game show for funds" as kind of a spoof thing to hand wave travel expenses since I feel that weighs the game down.

But as far as "You enter the room. Roll perception. You see a monster and some traps" dungeons, those have only come up once as a novelty. It was a fun distraction but we just don't fit them into our game's narrative.

We're more likely to encounter "the wrath of nature" (i.e. quick sand, bogs that make carts useless, animals and beasts stealing our shit / picking a fight.)
>>
File: 1418852552543.jpg (2 MB, 943x2000) Image search: [Google]
1418852552543.jpg
2 MB, 943x2000
>>48242866
as a side note to this, this does have a drawback where I'm a bit reluctant to use traps besides entrance points and any secure storage rooms of a dungeon, usually since my 'dungeons' assume people tend to live in there.
>>
>>48242943
>>48242931
Every town is a dungeon if you're hardcore enough.

Are you a bad enough dude to kill an entire town?
>>
>>48242337
> Abandonned Starships
> Abandonned Star Base
> Ancient, lost, Jedi Temples
> Ancient Sith Tombs
> Adumar's "Pentagon"
I see them, and I design them as more than a bunch of rooms, especially the Starships as they end up being repaired and used, but they're definitely not dungeons.

Also, D&D / Pathfinder is shit.
>>
>>48242337
A dungeon is a bunch of rooms connected together, dumbass.
>>
>>48242943
Good. Traps are boring encounters and don't make sense in most places anyway.
>>
File: 1386022776221.jpg (185 KB, 400x520) Image search: [Google]
1386022776221.jpg
185 KB, 400x520
>>48242975
True.

Though I'm the DM, how am I supposed to know if my PCs are bad enough? Even Evil characters are going to have pause when there's about seven NPCs with PC levels are skills.

Their real nemesis is going to be the ruthless enforcers of the Red Dragon Trading Post.
>>
>>48243049
Meh, traps as encounters are frustrating and boring. When used IN a battle as an hazard/weapon, they're nice.
>>
>>48242337
The world spontaneously generates 'dungeons' complete with loot and monsters, all over the world, but the better ones are found in obscure or hidden places. It's why adventuring is a legitimate career choice, and it explains why many of them don't seem to serve an actual purpose (Though a lot have a specific theme, like arcane laboratory, torture chamber, mummy pyramid, etc)
>>
>>48242975
>mfw that's exactly how my first attempt at Baldur's Gate went
>never left the first castle until I learned to actually give a fuck about what people said to me
>>
>>48242337
Each of my RT ships are fully mapped for my leisure My players hate me. Though they enjoyed running DH on one of the dynasty ship.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.