[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is mortal kombat a good setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8
File: Mortal_Kombat_Logo.svg.png (84 KB, 1017x1024) Image search: [Google]
Mortal_Kombat_Logo.svg.png
84 KB, 1017x1024
>>
File: 1462167795636.jpg (308 KB, 1280x1300) Image search: [Google]
1462167795636.jpg
308 KB, 1280x1300
Some people seem to think so. You've got several games' worth of lore to work with, and they all talk about parallel dimensions/realms, pantheons of gods, and interdimensional tournaments to preserve the borders between those realms. It's still inherently campy as shit in the grand scheme of things, but there's probably a few things you could take from it.

Hell, there was a moderately successful quest run here on /tg/ that dives deep into the lore and tries to tie a bunch of things together.

Have some casual Mileena.

I'm a Street Fighter and King of Fighters guy myself.
>>
>>48209397
Yes
It's pretty much a kitchen sink setting with something for everyone
Cyborgs,Ninja,Gods,American Special Forces and Monster Men from other dimensions all beating the shit out of each other
It's campy and basically a combination of all the things the creators thought was cool at the time but there is a reason the franchise is still going
Just check out the story mode for Mortal Kombat (2011) and Mortal Kombat X to see what a MK campaign would look like
>>
>>48210100
>Just check out the story mode for Mortal Kombat (2011) and Mortal Kombat X to see what a MK campaign would look like
Ehhhh. I'm not sure I would hold those up as paragons of MK story. There's a reason Raiden is now known as the Blundergod.
>>
>>48210170
Shujinko is at least comparably dumb.
>>
>>48209397
Sure.

Just don't fall for the /tg/ trap of thinking too much and trying to "fix" the setting.
>>
File: ShaoKahnInvadesEarthRealm.webm (3 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
ShaoKahnInvadesEarthRealm.webm
3 MB, 720x405
>>48210170
Not saying it doesn't have its problems but they're the best example of MK story mode and fighting game story modes in general you could also check out MK:Armageddon, MK:Deception, MK:Mythologies Sub-Zero and Shaolin Monks
>>
>>48210348
Shaolin Monks 2 fucking when?
>>
>>48210444
Hopefully soon
The game may have been a little buggy and the controls kind of jank but it was cool as fuck
And if it had the same effort put into the game as MKX it would be the dopest shit
>>
File: Mortal Kombat 0.7.1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Mortal Kombat 0.7.1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Have a homebrew some anons made last year
>>
File: MK Maneuver System Basics.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
MK Maneuver System Basics.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48210559
>>
>>48209397

Not really. The fighting game DNA is strong within it, and not a lot of tabletop games manage to make 1v1 combat while the rest of the group looks on a compelling, interesting mechanic.
>>
>>48210517
>tfw teenage you manages to figure out how to fight Ermac without looking it up
>>
>>48209397

Setting, yes. If you can work with the camp. Not sure if there's a good system for it, though.

I ran a Mortal Kombat game in FATE set in the 'overwritten' timeline after Armageddon. The setting and characters were fun to play and work with, but when it gets down to brass tacks it's a series about fighting and we definitely mad a bad call concerning the system we used.
>>
>>48209397
It's very self-aware and happily indulges in being a combination of the most violent parts of Hong Kong Kung Fu movies and American B-horror movies.
>>
>>48209397
It's basically a fairly standard 90's Comic Book setting; demons, ninjas, super-criminals, magic, cyborgs, demon ninjas, cyborg ninjas, everyone wears spikes, all the women dress like strippers, ultraviolence over the stupidest things is the standard method of person to person communication yet none of the violence seems to stick or matter in the long run no matter how much they brutalize your body in the fight.
>>
>>48210170
I can't even remember what Raiden did in MKX's story mode, but in MK9 he was actively retarded. Remember how he went to the Outer Gods when Shao Khan invaded Earthrelm to plead that he be punished and the gods totally told him outright
>"Invading another world is not a crime, only the merging of realms without victory in Mortal Kombat"
and Raiden just left all butthurt while completely ignoring that last part of what they just fucking told him. And then still tries to prevent Shao Khan from merging the worlds, even though that's exactly what he must do for the gods to be able to punish him.

I mean, fuck. It wasn't even something subtle where we all go
>"Oh, so that's what it meant"
Raiden was ouright told that he had to forfeit the fight and choose to ignore it.
>>
File: Kyokugen.jpg (349 KB, 1038x1438) Image search: [Google]
Kyokugen.jpg
349 KB, 1038x1438
>>48212719
Should have used Legends of the Wulin
My group ran a King of Fighters inspired game and it worked out great I imagine it would work fine for Mortal Kombat
>>
>>48209927
Casualeena makes me sad. Without the uncertainty of whether the crazy bitch is going to bite your throat out the next breath it just completely misses the point. It's monstergirls all over again.
>>
>>48212909
It's what I did.
But I'm kinda biased.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.