[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fate Accelerated: Approaches
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: FAE-Bookcover.jpg (267 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
FAE-Bookcover.jpg
267 KB, 900x1350
Can "approaches" from Fate Accelerated ever be salvaged, or are they rubbish compared to traditional skills from Fate Core and "modes" from the Fate System Toolkit and Atomic Robo?
To me, it seems that Fate Accelerated's approaches strongly encourage narrow-mindedly using your best approach for everything. This is easiest if that approach is Clever, because the book defines Clever in such a vague and all-encompassing way that it could apply to virtually anything with minimal effort. Every character might as well be an Ozymandias ripoff who performs all actions "Cleverly."
This is further aggravated by how easy it is to raise an approach to +5 with significant milestones.

Even Ryan Macklin, one of Fate Core's main writers (he never touched Fate Accelerated though), thinks poorly of approach-like subsystems:
http://ryanmacklin.com/2011/06/issues-use-whenever-stats/
>I’m a damned creative player, so if you’re giving me stats based on how I’m accomplishing something, I’ll find a way to always use my highest die.
>Give me a situation and a generic approach, and I’ll make them fit. Which really means I have these three stats:
>d10 Be a successful-but-one-note character
>d8 Show a but more color to your character, at a penalty
>d6 Like I’m going to use this stat
>Oh, and if you’re not able to be on the fly creative, you have:
>d10 Yay I know how to use this at this moment
>d8 Well, at least I figured this one out
>d6 I’m being punished for not figuring out how to work the other two in
>>
>>48204805
In my opinion, approaches are shit. Useless, minddumbing, counterroleplaying shit.
>>
>>48204805
Jadepunk actually had a good way to deal with approaches: they named the approaches after D&D-esque "classes" and they work more like broad skill categories instead FAE's standard approaches. They're much more clearly defined, and none of them are as vaguely universal as fucking Clever.

Other alternatives (mix and match at your discretion):
1) simply accepting that being creative enough to always use your highest approach was kind of intentional (which, I gotta admit, IS bullshit).

2) Use approach-based difficulties, making tasks harder or easier depending on the approach

3) remembering that doing things in a certain way has fucking consequences.

4) enforcing the idea that not every approach can do everything, even fucking Clever.

5) Getting rid of approaches completely and using aspects-as-skills.
>>
>>48205053
There is also the option of making rolls depend on two approaches at once, only one of which is picked by the player.
>>
>>48204805
As much as I hate FATE and hope it's play base gets wiped from the earth I do like the idea of trying something different Basic attribute stats Str, Con, Dex ect.

If you prepared to be really esoteric you could try using the the sins and virtues from better angels instead?
>>
>>48205826
>As much as I hate FATE and hope it's play base gets wiped from the earth
Why the hate bro
>>
>>48205843
It's marketed to normies. People whose first experience of an RPG was fallout 4.

What's the not to hate?
>>
>>48205934
So do you want your hobby to wither and die or what?

Also it's not really marketed to normies at all, I've seen it be way more popular with grogs who are tired of rules heavy systems.
>>
>>48205934
It's marketed to hipsters.
>>
>>48205826
>I do like the idea of trying something different Basic attribute stats Str, Con, Dex ect.
d20 Microlite. It's very bare on the rules so make shit up as you go along.
>>
>>48205934
>NORMIES REEEEEEEE
suicide.jpg

Also D&D attributes got ported entirely to FATE in Freeport

I don't get people getting butthurt about approaches. The GM is totally within their rights to laugh in the face of some faggot who tries to spam one approach that just doesn't fit (oh, you want to shift this fucking boulder cleverly? Tough shit, all the leverage in the world won't help if you have stick arms, have a crazy high difficulty).
>>
>>48206037
>>48206741
Fate and Evil Hat productions in general's attitude has always come across a slightly demeaning to the rest of the gaming community.

Yeah you're right I was thinking of hipsters more. My mistake.

>>48207254
Alright yeah approaches work all right as long as everyone is on the same page. If you really can't stand them just replace them with a your standard attributes and be done with it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.