[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board game General.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 15
Obligatory resource links: http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

>Oh Noes! A fire is burnt your entire board game collection! Luckily, the insurance money is coming in! You have 300$ to spend on board games.
>Which ONE game did you have time to save?
>Which ones do you buy back into your collection because they were so good?
>Which ones don’t you buy back because of reasons?
>Which new games do you get to replace the ones you’re not rebuying? You’ve been eyeing them for a while now! (Can be soon to be released games too)
>>
>>43738982
I have too many games to think about all that.
>>
>>43738982
Terra Mystica, so interconnected! So perfect!

PowerGrid, good, well balanced Euro
Inkognito, original concept, you have an ally and 2 enemies, but you have to figure out who’s who first.
Roll for the Galaxy, fun thematic game, + LOTSA dice to roll
Mascarade, my favourite party game so far. If people get into it, then it’s a great bluffing game.

Catan, it was fun when I got into board games, but we haven’t played it in a while.
Carcassonne, same reason
Agricola… not fun, too much maths…
Rampage, fun the first 2 times, then it gets old quickly.

>Which new games do you get to replace the ones you’re not rebuying? You’ve been eyeing them for a while now!
KeyFlower, I like the descriptions, city building? Route and network building? Auction? Fuck yeah! I find the artwork kinda meh though… main reason I didn’t get it before.
Suburbia, city building + good reviews = good thing :) I’ve been thinking about getting it for a while. Is expansion good too?
Twilight Struggle, #1 on a database of I don’t know how many thousands of games? Can’t be bad!
Maybe Star Wars Rebellion (early 2016) if I still have money and if the reviews are good… looks promising though!
Some game trays/accessories too perhaps?
>>
>>43738982
Jesus christ, anon.
Fast, and with a harrowing line of OP questions?

>What one game did you save?
Either Heroes of Normandie or my Netrunner shit, just due to cost. Or Tannhauser because out of print.
>What do you buy back?
Chaosmos, just so unique and clever.
Mafia de Cuba, hasn't had a bad play yet.
Whichever of the answers to the first question I didn't save
Codenames, best family-tier party game I've played.
Arctic scavengers, as an excuse to get the recon expansion.
Kemet, game is just impeccably well designed.
Melee, this one has really surprised me.
Twilight Imperium, because obviously.
Mascarade, because the art is just incredible. Great bluffing game for bigger groups.
>What don't you buy back because of reasons
I feel weird saying this, but maybe Cosmic Encounter. We just haven't played it in forever. Hell, the punchboard for the newest expansion still hasn't been punched out.
>What new games do you get
Hm. BattleCON, maybe. Or Warfighter for some solo kebab removal. Rebellion does look like a lot of fun, want to hear how it plays with 4, though.
>>
File: 1410580506432.jpg (20 KB, 296x341) Image search: [Google]
1410580506432.jpg
20 KB, 296x341
>>43738982
What game is this.
Why does it exist.
>>
>>43739402
If you want your kids to be good at frotting, you've got to start them young.
>>
>Oh Noes! A fire has burnt your entire board game collection! Luckily, the insurance money is coming in! You have 300$ to spend on board games.
That's nice, I guess.
Ankh Morpork, because that shit's NEVER getting back into print
Pretty much all of them, as they're damn good.
20th Century, because none of my gaming groups are going to play a 3-hour euro
Palazzo, as I've already got Alhambra
Space Crusade, because I got that for a ridiculous bargain and there's no way I'm paying good money for something I'll never bring out
My DVD/VHS board games; see above
>Which new games do you get to replace the ones you’re not rebuying? You’ve been eyeing them for a while now! (Can be soon to be released games too)
All of my white whales: Star Trek: Fleet Captains, Tales of The Arabian Nights, Viticulture: Essential Edition and Corto but only if it's £25 or under
>>
>>43739601
>Corto but only if it's £25 or under
Have you played it? Is it actually good, or just a "Let's slap a memorable comic book character theme to a crappy mechanic and hope people buy it out of nostalgia" game?
>>
>>43738982
>board game insurance
>$300
Try about 15x that.
>>
Small City. It's not like I ever get to play it anyway.

Aquasphere, Dominant Species, Bora Bora, Twilight Struggle, Terra Mystica, Yedo, Euphoria, Race for the Galaxy

Dreaming Spires, Trobils, Doge Ship because screw that Rahdo hype, I've learnt my lesson.

Burano, Mottainai, Luna reprint, Glass Road, Panamax, Scythe
>>
>>43739866
I've seen a few reviews, and the consensus is that while it's not great, it does have good mechanics and quite pretty (they use Hugo Pratt's art, so that's a given). I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting it at least partly because Ballad of The Salt Sea is one of the greatest works of 20th Century European fiction, but maybe I just want a game that looks nice, plays well and doesn't cost the Earth.
>>
>>43738982
>Which one game did you have time to save
Since my Dominion set (base+9 expansions) is kept in two binders, it's not unreasonable to think I could've saved it all. I'd still take Dominion if I could only save 1 binder because that's still the most money saved
>buy back with $300
BattleCON, CE+Incursion & Dominion expansions, Keyflower, Twilight Struggle, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Hanabi, Wizard Extreme
>don't buy back
LoW was a hard one, but I know other people who own it so might as well let it go. Cutthroat Caverns was a huge loss since I own everything for that game, but we'll say a prayer before each game of CE to make up for it. My Sierra Madre Games collection will also be mourned, although I rarely get to play them. There are lots of other games that got cut because they rarely see play(Libertalia, DoW), and some I simply grew weary of
>new games
I think I would spend it all on rebuilding desu. Maybe I'd replace Wizard Extreme for Nyet if I talk it over with friends. If I still had room in the budget, I'd get Broom Service
>>
>>43740280
>Keyflower
Looking to get it, Can you please tell me what's great about it (and also what's not so great about it) ?
>>
File: v-related traditional games2.png (6 MB, 1256x3151) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2.png
6 MB, 1256x3151
>>
Looking for players to play Hanabi online
>>
>Oh Noes! A fire is burnt your entire board game collection! Luckily, the insurance money is coming in! You have 300$ to spend on board games.
That's like two boardgames where I'm from, maybe 3. Insurance on them would easily be 10x that. But I'll play along
Shadow of Brimstone. It's my all time favourite game, even just to play by myself. Luckily both base boxes are all in one setup, so I grab it and save two!
>Which ones do you buy back into your collection because they were so good? None actually, all the good games I have need 2+ people, and I'm an idiot who buys games he has no one to play with
Arcadia Quest and RDL. Both kick starters and both weren't what I wanted in the slightest.
Descent again. I had it before, but it was stolen. I'd replace IA with it, purely because I love fantasy over sci-fi.
>>
File: Fury of Cattula.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Fury of Cattula.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Hidden advantages of an oversized table.
>>
>>43738982
Lords of Waterdeep has become far too algorithmic for me. Are there any worker placements which avoid this? I often hear Yedo touted as "LoWD, but better." How does this hold to solvability?
>>
>>43742002
While not self-explanatory (actually counter-intuitive in parts) it has an elegance to it. If you were interested in bidding, worker placement, tile-laying, pickup-and-deliver, and resource management, it's all here, it all works well together, and makes for a satisfyingly meaty game. My favorite part is the bidding, it's pretty cutthroat and I find it hilarious

The worst part about it is that Game Salute is the US publisher. I got mine shipped to the US from Amazon UK for cheaper than Game Salute sells it. Sometimes players just don't compete for tiles, which is kind of how auction games go sometimes. The trick is goading each other into fighting for tiles
>>
>>43738982
I'd save Star Wars Epic Duels because it is a bit rare. I'd buy all of dominion back and a new hobby lobby case for it.
>>
>>43744063
Where/how does that work?
>>
>>43738982
OP, what is the game in your picture? This looks so dumb, I want to have it.
>>
Any good recommendations for a 2-player board game? Can be 2+, not overtly rules heavy, but not afraid of a challenge. Me and my gf like board games. I also play rpg and 40k, but gf is just board game enthusiast. Every now and then we play with her cousins and they enjoy board games with more challenge than Kimble.
>>
>>43745305
Already got in our library
Tsuro
A ticket to ride (usa and Europe)
Carcassonne
Trivial pursuit
Munchkin
Life

Also got execution force and Betrayal at Calth, but got those mostly only for minis, not to play board game.
>>
>>43745372
Damn forgot Chinatown and Dixit.
>>
>>43744795
>Putting cats on table instead of in a burlap sack in the nearest river.
>>
>>43745103
BoardGameArena
>>
File: careful anon.jpg (4 KB, 111x102) Image search: [Google]
careful anon.jpg
4 KB, 111x102
>>43745513
>>
I've been invited to participate in a board game gift exchange, but I have no idea what to get. The minimum MSRP is $50, any suggestions?
>>
>>43738982
Kingdom death!

Oh wait, only $300...
>>
>>43745722
Nothing Personal.

And when you give it, make sure to tell them that it's nothing personal.
>>
>>43745305
Summoner Wars
Neuroshima Hex!
Nexus Ops
Roll Through the Galaxy
Star Realms
Hive

Some of these games are bit higher up on the complexity scale, but not by too much. Good gateways into meetier titles in the hobby.
>>
>>43738982
>>Oh Noes! A fire is burnt your entire board game collection! Luckily, the insurance money is coming in! You have 300$ to spend on board games.
Insurance money for the house or for board games? Because it'd be great if insuring board games is an actual thing. Or is it a focused fire only on my board games and I have to accuse someone of arson?

>>Which ONE game did you have time to save?
I have Mysterium and Wings of War already in a bag, so I'll cheat and save those two.

...wait, does the fire occur before or after August? If after, Scythe would have already arrived, then uhhhhhhh... Shit.

>>Which ones do you buy back into your collection because they were so good?
Probably just buy the rest of them since I only have 4 games. The remaining two are Flash Point and Castles of Mad King Ludwig, both were bought for a specific reason. Scythe too I guess, though I bet Stonemaier would probably just give a new copy for free or something.

>>Which ones don’t you buy back because of reasons?
-

>>Which new games do you get to replace the ones you’re not rebuying? You’ve been eyeing them for a while now! (Can be soon to be released games too)
Wings of War everything! Once that's done, I'd save the rest for future purchases.
>>
File: pic1299390.jpg (2 MB, 3321x3321) Image search: [Google]
pic1299390.jpg
2 MB, 3321x3321
Anyone wants to play Seasons? on BoardGameArena
>>
>>43746747
I'm down. The Canadian that isn't steev, once again. Always ready to get revenge my revenge and suck a bit less.
>>
>>43744795
those cats are not real cats.
they're either dead or stuffed.
if they were real, they'd be laying on the board instead.
>>
>>43747057
I thought Steev was Idahoan.
>>
>>43739432
Anon, you clearly know nothing of frottage.
>>
>>43745117
I dunno, I was just looking for a fun image to get your attention anon!

>>43746655
>Insurance money for the house or for board games? Because it'd be great if insuring board games is an actual thing. Or is it a focused fire only on my board games and I have to accuse someone of arson?
Your looking too much into it, you have probably played flashpoint too much ;)
>>
>>43746655
>>43747618
Personal property insurance, which is usually tied into your home insurance policy. Most people only put furniture or high end valuables, but depending on your policy you could probably insure your games collection.
>>
>>43747225
Same difference.

>>43747195
The trick is to not put out the board until the cats are asleep on something else.
>>
File: pic778029_md.jpg (58 KB, 358x500) Image search: [Google]
pic778029_md.jpg
58 KB, 358x500
Just picked up De Vulgari Eloquentia, what am I in for?
>>
>>43744795
Whats the name of those small red containers. Ive seen some of those before and I was thinking of getting them. Please and Thank You
>>
>>43746365
Thanks. Will check these out.
>>
>>43739402
>>43745117

Snifty Snakes from what I could gather from Google.
>>
>>43745305
I'd say try:
Castles of Burgundy
Jaipur
Pandemic
Dominion
Red 7
>>
StarCraft. If I ever bother painting the minis if a fire ever breaks out I'm saving Starcraft first, my laptop second and my gf third.

Neuroshima: Hex. It's just a perfect 1v1 game.

I just got Kemet and Ghost Stories so I'd rebuy them just so I can play with them.

I'm on the fence when it comes to Dominant Species.

Munchkin. It was fun the first two times we played it and then it stopped apearing. And I don't think it ever will again unless we have a lot of new people that are into fantasy but not never played boardgames.

Pandemic is OK but got stale so don't know if I'd re buy it, maybe with expansions or the legacy version.

Maybe I'd replace Dominant Species with Terra Mystica? I don't have anything against Dominant Species, but it seems hard to get people to play it.
>>
>>43745305
All good suggestions but I recommend The Duke and Twilight Struggle.
The Duke only has you doing two things a turn, and that's moving a dude or summoning a dude, and TS only has one thing a turn, that's playing a card. Both extremely complex games for their simplicity.
>>
>>43744909
Viticulture is the most "un-worker placement" worker placement I've come across; there's very little of the I WANTED THAT SPACE YOU FUCKER shenanigans, and the visitor cards make things so swingy it loops back round to balanced. You might want to also consider Castles of Burgundy.
>>
>>43739601
>Ankh Morpork

Hmph is it worth getting? I'm a big Pratchett fun... but I'm the only one in my group

I see it priced at $50 so not so bad.
>>
Rebuy: King of Tokyo. It's our default "waiting for someone to show up" game, and I don't know what we'd do without it. Quick to play, super easy to learn, but ends up being highly strategic.

I also have a game called Tsuro that's dead easy to teach visitors, and seems to be universally enjoyed. I'd have to get that again.

Maybe rebuy: Ticket to Ride is somewhat important. And Monopoly, though I only have one friend who is still serious about it. Forbidden Desert has seen some occasional replay.

No rebuy: I'm done with Risk. Don't care about A&A. Pandemic is too easy; we've never even come close to losing.

New buy: Might pick up Blood Bowl. Does that count as a board game? My brother and I played that in high school a lot. I just don't think any of the womenfolk would appreciate it much.
>>
>>43738982
Triumph&Tragedy, to maximize what I can buy with the insurance cash.

Twilight Struggle, Dominant Species, and Churchill.

Dune, Struggle of Empires, Andean Abyss and Here I stand. None of those games have gotten played for a long time.

Cuba Libre, somewhat simpler COIN game, and perhaps the yet-to-be-released Grand Prix from GMT Games.
>>
>>43752563
>Dune
There's also the fact that it would cost the entire three hundy.
>>
>>43752347
Good taste
>>
>>43738982
>>Oh Noes! A fire is burnt your entire board game collection! Luckily, the insurance money is coming in! You have 300$ to spend on board games.

>>Which ONE game did you have time to save?
Are we including expansions? If so, Twilight Imperium. Spent too much goddamn money for a game I'd replace.
>>Which ones do you buy back into your collection because they were so good?
Mad King Ludwig, Kemet, and Puerto Rico.
A Series of Unfortunate Events: Perilous Parlor Game, Exodus first edition (which, contrary to every other game ever, is the edition you DO NOT WANT).
>>Which new games do you get to replace the ones you’re not rebuying? You’ve been eyeing them for a while now! (Can be soon to be released games too)
Yedo, Scythe, Fury of Dracula, Merchant of Venus.
>>
>>43752373
Being a Pratchett fan definitely helps, but the mechanics themselves are good enough that anybody with at least a passing knowledge of the books - e.g. my Dad, who only read Hogfather - will enjoy things.

I'm still miffed that he made polite fun of me for pronouncing Mr. Teatime's name incorrectly.
>>
>>43751966
>From those wacky Canadians comes this dexterity game in which you wear a nose/glasses apparatus with a long, flexible snake attached to the nose. You use your snake to push cones about the board (no hands!), trying to get them into various holes on the board to win points.

Thanks for finding that.
I now want to make a chart of board games from different countries, with this as Canada's representative.
>>
>>43753089
Saidina would definitely be Malaysia's representive, though an actually fun game would be Congkak or that 'slap your palm on the a flat space so the wind flips your card over and pins an opponent's card' game.
>>
>>43752710

Thanks man!

It's pronounced Teh-ah-tim-eh!
>>
>Blood Bowl
All of my yes! Let the ladies pass on it if they want, their loss.
>>
>>43750840
"Really useful box" is the brand.
>>
So I recently grabbed Eldritch Horror, and I've heard that even though Azathoth is recommended by the rulebook for first time isn't actually a very good choice due to difficulty. Is that correct? If so what would be a better choice for playing the first time?
>>
Gameshelf.se

Reminder reminder
>>
File: zombicide.jpg (17 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
zombicide.jpg
17 KB, 225x225
Recently picked up season 3 of Zombicide, and it's fucking great.

Been itching to get one of the expansions/earlier seasons to vary up the gameplay a bit, but I'm not sure which one will add the most interesting stuff. Kinda leaning towards Toxic City Mall for the toxic zombies right now.

Anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>43738982
>save
Kingdom Death. No way in hell am I letting a $400 dollar game burn when I only get $300 from insurance.
>Re-buy
Probably super dungeon explore, because it's what sees the most play.

>Don't rebuy
Puzzle Strike, The DnD board games, Puzzle Strike, and Heroscape. None of them see enough play to be worth rebuying.

Shadowrun: Crossfire, because holy shit it is so unbelievably bland. God damn.

>Buy new
Legendary Encounters: Predator, because Aliens sees quite a bit of play, and Pandemic Legacy.
>>
Pandemic Legacy gets lost in a fire 10 games into your campaign. Do you
a) rebuy it and painstakingly recreate all the same conditions from your lost copy?
b) rebuy it and start it fresh from game 1?
c) go on living the rest of your life without ever knowing what happened next?
d) read spoilers for the rest of the game online?
>>
File: yinsh.jpg (952 KB, 2599x1921) Image search: [Google]
yinsh.jpg
952 KB, 2599x1921
>>43745305
>Any good recommendations for a 2-player board game?
YINSH is really nice; I think I like it more than Chess. If your gf is bad at abstract strategy, though, it wont be very fun

Anyone have other good abstract strategy recommendations? I love YINSH, but I haven't tried any of the other GIPF series. I've read reviews that YINSH is the best one, so I don't want to purchase a different one in the series and just end up wishing I was playing YINSH instead, ya know?
>>
File: 1443552328812.jpg (31 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1443552328812.jpg
31 KB, 400x300
>>43753985
>zombicide

Who cares? It's trash.
>>
File: 0140364_CF0001.jpg (245 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
0140364_CF0001.jpg
245 KB, 500x500
>>43751966
scarily similar to an awful game from my childhood.
>>
>>43738982
>>43755953
I'm having a hard time deciding which of these games to bring to my next "party."
>>
I can think of an adult version f OP's game!

Sorry, I just wanted to bump the thread
>>
>>43753985
The only one that doesn't seem to add a lot is the prison one. I've got season one (with a load of extra zombies) and we have a lot of fun with it since the board is always crowded with impending Doom...
>>
>play Hanabi with some french guys on BoardGameArena
>think I knew how to play Hanabi
>YOU KNOW NOTHING Jon Anon
Seriously these guys were on another level, I was holding them back, they understood a unspoken language that I did not, I just discovered a deeper layer to Hanabi
>>
>>43759333
>hanabi
>online

How the fuck does that even work. Completely misses the point.
>>
>>43759425
not really, it plays perfectly
>>
Asked in a previous thread, but what games is Santa going to bring you?
>>
>>43753886
Yog-Sothoth is generally considered the easiest, by what I've heard, but Azathoth is the simplest because he doesn't add many special rules and has no Final Mystery. I don't think there's too much of a difficulty gap between them, either.

As long as you don't start with Cthulhu, you'll be fine.
>>
>>43760974
Not sure, but I have Five Tribes, Kemet, Bruges, and Imperial Settlers on my Amazon wishlist. I expect to get one of these.
>>
File: mage_wars_dice.jpg (225 KB, 1200x902) Image search: [Google]
mage_wars_dice.jpg
225 KB, 1200x902
In the game I'm designing right now you use dice in combat to determine damage. At first I wanted to use the Mage Wars combat dice but now I'm considering changing it from 0011!22! to 0111!22!. ! means crit hit.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>43745513
Jeez, and I thought my dad hated cats.
>>
I just had the most interesting game of Chaos in the Old World where I won on points as Khorne, even though we didn't use the Morrslieb cards. We used the Horned Rat to play with 5 players, though.
>>
>>43764307
We just saw khorne decimate while trying out his "best strategy possible" of kicking slanesh's face in. Acted real smug about the win afterwards. So I want to hear more about your victory
>>
>Nick from BoardGameBrawl prefers Cthulhu Realms to Star Realms
Unsubscribed.
>>
>>43763633
Are they 8-sided dice?
>>
>>43765286
Nick is probably the one reviewer I know with the most questionable taste. He misses the mark all the time.
>>
>>43765286
I've heard a lot of people say this. Apparently from a mechanical standpoint it is the better game.
>>
File: Jesus.png (65 KB, 1541x370) Image search: [Google]
Jesus.png
65 KB, 1541x370
I've spent hours looking at both, and I want them both. but budget-wise I'm worried about getting two games at once. I can afford it but I don't want to pay $90 and then have one of them just sit there for a few weeks unplayed. I want something new for thanksgiving when people will be around but I can't for the life of me decide which is best.

Imperial Settlers looks great and would be a good way to ease the idea of engine building games to my small group (not to mention #expansionfever). They're good but I can't bring anything too complex on them or they get lost. On the other hand I hear fury of dracula is really fun, the concept is strong enough that I think it would let them keep their bearings around the rules, and I've never tried a hidden movement game like it. Leaning towards imperial settlers but I guess I'll do the logical thing too and rely on advice from strangers on the internet first.
>>
>>43767736
I've heard Imperial Settlers can be really mean due to how the 'set other people's villages on fire' mechanics work, so maybe avoid that if you don't think the group will like passive-aggressive(?) conflict. Plus there are plenty of people who have been waiting for Fury of Dracula for good reason.
>>
>>43765408
he could have separated the side, but any fool could interpret that 1! is one side whereas 11 are on two sides.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.