[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any "Public Domain" /tg/ characters/species/factions?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: The Rake.png (481 KB, 800x1280) Image search: [Google]
The Rake.png
481 KB, 800x1280
I was wondering, does /tg/ have any species/races/characters who're primarily created by anon-board-members with no traceable "originator," making them pretty much public domain? I know about the Hirudo, Miga, Chorus, Crazy Hassan, and maybe Doobies, but I'm looking for more to put on a masterpost of good Open Source characters on Tumblr,

For that matter, any characters designated as Public Domain CC-BY (IE pretty much public domain but only requiring credit) by their creators either? The creator of Cultist-Chan has said she's pretty much CC-BY, but I want to know about any others.

I ask because I'm really into the spirit of that idea in this era where the Public Domain has been fucked six ways to sunday by Disney & Friends, and I wanted to gather all the best of the scattered Open Source characters to try and get more folks talking about them, and y'all are a good place for those.

So, couldja help a guy out? Thanks!

Pic related, it's my original art of the 4chan-originated "Public Domain" character that inspired me to make this thread. And yes, I know I am not the best artist,
>>
>>47932568

I don't really want lazy uncreative people to profit off my ideas.
>>
File: LUMINATE Base Sprite.gif (12 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
LUMINATE Base Sprite.gif
12 KB, 640x640
>>47932977
Didn't say you had to give your ideas, just askin for stuff originated from 4chan in the past, whether you know of it via screengrabs or archived-threads or those who've declared it CC-BY or PD

Though, personally as OP, I have a dickton of Open Source characters I've drawn and written up profiles for; requiring only creator-credit to use. I ain't going to link my masterpost here, because linking such things on 4chan is like throwing raw meat to jackals, but let it be said that I do put my money where my mouth is.

Pic related, it's one of my recent Open Source characters, one of the few that're fully public domain. I'd blather about its concept, but I don't want to be too much of a self-promoting whore...
>>
File: Engine Heart.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Engine Heart.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47932568
>For that matter, any characters designated as Public Domain CC-BY (IE pretty much public domain but only requiring credit) by their creators either?
Go nuts, OP.
>>
>>47933164
But you are a self promoting whore
The only reason you want anything from /tg/ is so you can flaunt it as your own discovery and get brownie points from your stagnant, source-erasing community. If you were part of /tg/ you would know, it is clear that you are not and are just on the look for dank memes.
Now please go and do not come back. This board does not need more uncreative turds like you clogging its pipes and stealing content without even understanding it.
FUCK OFF
>>
This is an interesting thread.

All the stuff I've written and drawn for /tg/ has been submitted without any desire for money or even recognition, which is why I posted them all anonymously. Having people repost my stories, draw art for them, and remix my art has been one of the best parts of contributing to this community. There literally hasn't been a screencap thread in the last five years that hasn't had at least one or two of my stories, and often more since there's something around forty of the hundred or so stories I've written for /tg/ still floating around here, and people seem to like them.

But, what's weird here is the request for "Open Source" stuff, which really only matters if you're trying to turn a profit. Even if I signed all my work and demanded "steel donuts", there's nothing I could do about people on 4chan using my stuff as long as they just shared it on 4chan without trying to charge people for it.

And, that's really the ideal setup in my eyes. People just contributing for the sake of contribution, drawing and writing, using each others stuff without "pleases" but plenty of "thank yous."
>>
>>47933328
Chill with the hostility, man.
I can sort of understand your indignation, but it's completely blown out of proportion, and all he's really asking for is people to show stuff that might help inspire other artists. There's really nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>47933164
> I ain't going to link my masterpost here, because linking such things on 4chan is like throwing raw meat to jackals
Just because OP said this, here is the "master post" reverse image search brought me to

http://titleknown.tumblr.com/tagged/My%20Writing
>>
>>47933540
I really don't think so
What we have here is an OP that has no notion of what the board is about and what anonymity means
They just see the boards as dank meme orchards for them to pick and run away with
Like the other anon said, explicitly looking for open-source material is almost a guarantee that OP is either trying to make a buck off of it, or to appropriate it
These people are everywhere on 4chan these days and it drives me mad, especially on teej, because it was actually one of the good, creative and sensible boards and it's turning into a shitfest of reposts, forced memes and unfunny bullshit because of this invasion of plebs that do not take the time to assimilate the board culture and just barge in expecting to be spoonfed while contributing absolutely nothing worth of note.
Sorry about the rant and the poor formatting.
>>
>>47933685
Oh yeah and I didn't even brush on the rudeness of straight-up insulting the people you demand fresh content from as well as admitting to withholding yours because it's too good for us
>>
>>47933751
Apologies, I wasn't trying to say that they were "too good" for y'all, just worried about harassment. Because 4chan hates Tumblr and all that

But, since what's done is done, I might as well link to the actual; organized masterpost rather than just search tags: http://titleknown.tumblr.com/post/118337756398/a-masterpost-of-my-open-source-characters

>>47933510
Funny thing, that's my goal too, creators sharing. Unlike what >>47933510 >>47933718 says, I do care about credit and about the whole idea . It's not about exploitation so much as freedom in my eyes, and I want to help share that,

The whole thing's gonna be divided up into Public Domain and CC-BY characters (With Open Species getting their own section since they're used different but also mostly CC-BY) , but even with the "effectively" Public Domain stuff I might as well advertise its 4chan origins if it eases tensions.

BTW, my fav out of the /tg/-original races is the Chorus, they deserve way more love: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/25532089/
>>
File: Miracle Street.png (1 MB, 800x1280) Image search: [Google]
Miracle Street.png
1 MB, 800x1280
>>47934597
Also, might as well start posting my most /tg/-y CC-BY Content, since I should indeed put my money where my mouth is:

>This knife at first looks ordinary and crude, a thing of wrought-iron with a bloody-bandage-wrapped handle and a “blade” like a railroad spike, only distinguished by its unsettling blue glow.

>But, if it is so much as touched by a human hand, it immediately bonds with the holder, wrapping their body in bloody bandages and forging a “composite being”, combining the will of the human with the dark will of the knife in a being whose manifestations have coloquilally been named “Miracle”

>It not only allows the knife to shift into an incredibly sharp blade matching the user’s soul and gives the affected superhuman strength and reflexes, but it also gives them powers matching their hidden; darkest desires.

>A bitter office worker can conjure black unquenchable flames to burn everything down, a woman shot in a mob hit can turn her blood into bullets, a homeless woman desiring a home can “terraform” a building into a trap-filled fortress in the image of the knife, and so-on.

[Cont]
>>
>>47934764
[Cont]
>They usually end up dead, whether due to retaliation or to just being used up by the knife, but the knife always remains, unable to be destroyed and always waiting for a new victim. Some have tried to contain it, few have been able to do so for very long.

>The knife supposedly takes its name from the street on New York on which it was forged in a crude workshop, Miracle Street, a street in which magicians, demons, ancient space-monster-gods and other unwholesome supernaturals all ran their gang wars throughout the crime ridden city.

>The warring between factions became so fierce that the street eventually collapsed in upon itself and erased itself from history, the wily knife being the only thing that escaped.

>The thing’s basic personality is simple, desiring only blood and the release of inhibitions, though it finds accusations of it being “evil” to be quite quaint. It does hate the rich and it absolutely loathes gentrification and classism, so it’s got that going for it. It is possible to control its bloodthirst and come away from it alive, tough difficult, and few have pulled it off. The most notable of those few is a transwoman named Molly, who not only was the longest-time wielder of the weapon, but arguably also did the most good with it.

>This work is free to use as anyone wishes as long as I, Thomas F. Johnson, am credited as its creator, and it is made plain and clear by the user that it is free to use
>>
>>47932568

What about historic creatures? Stuff like Blemmys, Skiapodes, Panotti and Cynocephalids?
>>
File: Ambassador Killskull.png (828 KB, 800x1280) Image search: [Google]
Ambassador Killskull.png
828 KB, 800x1280
>>47934804
And this character, Ambassador Killskull, is from before I started making my profiles more detailed, or using backgrounds, but she seems like your type.

>Her brain was transferred into a Killskull by a nefariously nebulous evil organization that manufactures Killskills and is in fact named KILLSKULL, but she escaped, and now fights evil the only way a half-deranged human brain in a Killskull can!

>Which ironically involves large quantities of violence and death!

>This work is free to use as anyone wishes as long as I, Thomas F. Johnson, am credited as its creator, and it is made plain and clear by the user that it is free to use
>>
>>47934847
Well, they are good and underrated, but I was thinking either characters created from Day 1 to be Open Source; newer characters deliberately put in the Creative Commons, or (again) from stuff like here where it's kinda that by default.

Though, I will say, a good source of ones riiiiiight bvefore my cutoff date is public domain comics, which there are a shocking amount of because comics publishers didn't take good care of their licenses.

You can actually read them at http://comicbookplus.com or look up the characters at http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Public_Domain_Super_Heroes , which also hosts a good number of the Open Source characters I'm putting in the Masterpost!

Heck, I even have a few in there too (And I need to get to putting the rest on eventually): http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Thomas_F._Johnson_-_Creator
>>
>>47934857
Also, I might as well bring up my own little "Monster Manual" that's the most /tg/ relevant, especially considering a few things were in there to come up with "Open" alternatives to closed-off stuff in the D20 OGL: http://pastebin.com/jk4mDc8Z

>Also, yes I do plan to get to those not-filled-in entries, it's just taking me a while
>>
File: SIN_ZTAR.png (1 MB, 800x1280) Image search: [Google]
SIN_ZTAR.png
1 MB, 800x1280
>>47934985
And, well, I gotta go for now for a very-part-time job, but I might as well show off one more for now. While the same license applies:

I didn't come up with much of a backstory for this guy. He's known as SIN_ZTAR and basically supposed to be a catch-all evil-star-thing stand in for Unicron/the Beast Planet/Sinistar for all your narrative needs in that regard.

I hope this is at least enough to give a modicum of trust on my good intentions for the actual purpose of the thread. If not, then I hope at least somebody found something interesting to use in a project of theirs. Oh well, do what you will...
>>
>>47933751
What about the rudeness of threatening to raid someone specifically and solely because he thought people might raid him?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.