[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japanese weird fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
Hey teegee

Players want gonzo fantasy set in feudal Japan. I'm trying hard to accommodate but I don't know where to start. Think some of the weirder ADnD modules but in glorious Nippon. If you have any ideas post em here.

Already started coming up with weird fantasy variations on classic Japanese myths and singling out things that would work on their own like a Gashadokuro.
>>
File: oriental adventures.jpg (73 KB, 897x517) Image search: [Google]
oriental adventures.jpg
73 KB, 897x517
>>47871607
Well, Oriental Adventures is a thing.

>TSR released several products with the Oriental Adventures logo . This includes a series of modules numbered OA1 to OA7, the first five of which (Swords of the Daimyo, Night of the Seven Swords, Ochimo: The Spirit Warrior, Blood of the Yakuza, and Mad Monkey vs. the Dragon Claw) were released for first edition AD&D. The sixth module (Ronin Challenge) was released for the second edition, as was the seventh module (Test of the Samurai) which did not have the Oriental Adventures logo. The last three of these modules also had the Forgotten Realms logo. The Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms boxed set, also for Forgotten Realms, was billed as an expansion for Oriental Adventures. Also released for second edition was a volume for the Monstrous Compendium series.
>>
>>47872999
>>47872999

Didn't realize they made OA for ADnD, will check it out
>>
>>47871607
read spirit hunters by paul kidd,
all the fluff you could need for crazy nip adventure
>>
>>47871607
The thing springs to mind already is the number of insane Yokai t g at japan has, you get your standard ghost/spirits that every one can blame stuff on, then you get eye-butthole ghosts, and ones that kill you in the last bathroom stall.
So in my opinion, just reading up on the yokai and Japanese mythology in general will get the weird fantasy things you need.
>>
>>47876054
Yep. That's where it originated. I have limited experience with the crunch though, so can't really recommend it (or advise against it) on that basis. The fluff seemed interesting though.
>>
>>47871607
Tenra Bansho Zero.
>>
>>47872999

>>Legend of the 5 Rings is pretty awesome
>>The OGL Lot5R D&D stuff is a better OA than OA but not a good Lot5R
>>
>>47871607
Tenra Bansho Zero is about as gonzo and Japanese as it gets. Children piloting giant robots powered by the hearts of oni, sentient armor powered by the souls of asura, buddhist wizards, people who act as hives for powerful insects, sentient fuckdolls that control dreams, and a kabuki theater inspired advancement system.

And it even works.
>>
>>47879039
>>47880157
This is the only correct answer.
>>
>>47880157
Anon has presented you with the perfect tool. You need merely wield it and allow your gamemaster's soul is burn!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCoxruKUgLY
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.