[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice on running a >PIRATES campaign? Me and my friends
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (132 KB, 1422x800) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
132 KB, 1422x800
Advice on running a >PIRATES campaign?

Me and my friends are accustomed to 5e.
>>
>>47497361
Let the half Orc fill the ship with rum
>>
>>47497361
It's probably got to focus of mystery of treasure, uncharted waters where ghosts/mermaids try to lead them astray.
>Starting the players off as crew, then let them lead a mutiny against their cruel asshole captain and become the new leaders of the pirates.

>showing them how dickish the not-British-Empire is and making them want to sink the basterds.

>slamming filthy harbor prostitutes and getting into barfights with plenty of chandelier swinging and swashbuckling.

>massive seamonster that the players lose their first ship to, but eventually get revenge against when they upgrade to their newest ship.

>Read/listen to an audiobook of seafaring classics, my favorite is 'The Narrative of A. Gordon Pym,'

>rewatching PotC
>>
>>47497361
Put on british accents
Bad guys speak in spanish
However you all speak in broken french.
>>
Re-watch the first PotC movie.

Consider inter-imperial conflict and espionage as a theme.
>>
Occasionally let the stupid, retarded plan work with a bonus.
>>
Read Exquemelin. Should give you some good ideas for piratical antics

>go piratin'
>get captured
>"soon as we get to shore we're hanging your sorry ass"
>yeah nah
>bribe one guard
>shank another
>grab empty barrel and use it to float to shore
>immediately steal a fishing boat and a musket and get back to work
>>
File: blackflag.jpg (3 MB, 5760x3240) Image search: [Google]
blackflag.jpg
3 MB, 5760x3240
Play Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Assassin's Creed: Rogue.

P.S. Use anything but a d20 system.
>>
>>47503288
This kind of depends on the tone of your game.

You can do it blockbuster Hollywood style like in these games, where a British warship shows up and you scoff at how #rekt it's about to be, or you can do it somewhat more realistically where you and your mates are in a speedy, smaller craft and you mainly pick on fishers and merchantman with an eye out to fucking skedaddle should anything vaguely military-looking pop over the horizon.

I think the latter might be cooler, as you could have interesting situations like that whaler you were all eyeing for that sweet, sweet ambergris dosh suddenly hoisting a RN flag and opening twenty gun ports once you get up close.
>>
>>47497361
>Me and my friends are accustomed to 5e.
You have my condolences.
>>
How would pirating in an Asian setting differ from one in a Western one?
>>
>>47503534
You steal more spices and rice wine than furs and rum I guess.
>>
>>47503211
The only fun inter-imperial part of any PotC was in the last one "Only god grants immortality kill everyone and break everything :^)"
>>
>>47503288
>P.S. Use anything but a d20 system.
Any system you would specifically recommend, that do both swashbuckling and naval combat well?
>>
>>47503360
Actually, a whaling campaign would be pretty cool. On top of all the dangers of the sea (pirates, weather, enemy navies, etc), you literally have to fight sea monsters for your livelihood.

>>47504123
I'd probably use one system for RP/swashbuckling and a naval wargame system for battles.
>>
File: PrideofBaltimore1.jpg (399 KB, 1486x1183) Image search: [Google]
PrideofBaltimore1.jpg
399 KB, 1486x1183
Bump
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.