[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/srg/ Shadowrun General- Down Down Down To Goblin Town Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 87
File: Neo-Anarchist.png (485 KB, 515x737) Image search: [Google]
Neo-Anarchist.png
485 KB, 515x737
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Leek Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to Or'Net

Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
Last Viewed Files:
*Underground_Gridguide_Path_Projections.epub
*Troll_Arrest_Techniques.sim
*Gimli_Harris_Meetings_03_05_77
*Bot'Kham_Rally.trid

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 77 (64% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled 'Fight For Your Underground'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked
>https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage:
>http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running ChicasHideout.BTL...

How do you defend the Orc Underground, anon? Renraku and their shekel-greedy dwarven stooges will tear it apart if they can.
>No more shopping at the Biz for handmade merchandise, it's going to be a tourist trap selling crap mass-produced in Aztlan
>No more horn scrimshaw done by real artists in their stalls, it'll be all health codes and EVO-branded glue-on horn accessories
>No more work at Fungitech, making the food you feed you put on your family's plates, you'll be out of a job while they truck in the cast-offs from Snohomish
>No more delicious rat-on-a-stick with Big D sauce, cooked right there by a street vendor, it'll be McHugh's Stickrat™ at a 300% markup for some soyblock pressed in a factory into a rat shape

You know why they're coming? They're scared. Scared that people didn't follow their rules and toe their lines. Their hate drove us underground, and it showed us that we could stand on our own two feet (once we'd made a bit more headroom in the tunnels). We made a community, strong and self-sufficient, with our own culture and industry. We took what they cast off and remade it in our image, mighty and free. And they know that if we stand firm, we will be a beacon to all others, and it scares them.

Who will stand with us, as we take on all comers and earn our freedom?
>>
File: Orc Underground.png (489 KB, 901x613) Image search: [Google]
Orc Underground.png
489 KB, 901x613
>Ghouls are more frightened of you than you are of them, and many of us are still dealing with … recent developments. Some of the ferals you meet are only that way temporarily and will wake up if you leave them be.
>Hannibelle
>Emerald Shadows p 86

Did I miss something going on in the Infected world, or is this foreshadowing? Can ghouls move back and forth between feral and non-feral? I thought that was a one-way street.
>>
File: Radical Orc.jpg (56 KB, 720x1024) Image search: [Google]
Radical Orc.jpg
56 KB, 720x1024
>The Skraacha (Or’zet for Scorchers) are by far the largest gang, filling a role akin to an ethnic mafia, providing protection and foot soldiers to defend the community while preying on outsiders. The Bot’Kham are the next-largest, formed more of predators than protectors; they’re the leading edge of resistance to the Seattleites that are invading the new district.

Who do you side with? Offense or defense? Do you push them back when they get too close, or do you go out and make an example of someone to let everyone know not to get close in the first place?
>>
File: Troll Minigun.jpg (86 KB, 500x490) Image search: [Google]
Troll Minigun.jpg
86 KB, 500x490
Reminder- miniguns are already at head-height for Reclaimer dwarf dirtbags trying to run old ladies and families out of their homes. No need to aim down and hurt your back, just squeeze and sweep.
>>
File: Metatype Relations.jpg (54 KB, 432x576) Image search: [Google]
Metatype Relations.jpg
54 KB, 432x576
>>47357202
Of course, don't get me wrong, some dwarves are fine. They stood by us, lived next to us, and ate rat-on-a-stick with us. Not all stunties are baddies, just the ones in swish suits with uplander accents and deeds written 40 years ago, trying to take over places that haven't been their homes for a generation. Stand with your friends, keep your kin close, and keep everyone else out.
>>
File: YuNO4IA.jpg (560 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
YuNO4IA.jpg
560 KB, 1600x900
I am a brand new GM. I want to run my first Shadowrun campaign after Food Fight, so I'm going to do splintered state.

Depending on how things go I'll probably go on to do Stolen Souls. How do I put CFD in the game without insta killing my players?
>>
>>47357156
>The best defense is a good offense
>>
>>47357948
I would suggest waiting before actually exposing them to CFD wholesale. Make it a creeping up on them thing, maybe a slightly trusted contact has been acting weird after getting some new or used 'ware installed. Maybe a corp goon exposed to the blood spray of one of his buddies starts freaking out in some way not related to getting covered in gore.
>>
>>47357948
Also as an addendum to >>47358274, if they can get the fully reassembled Project Daybreak files from Splintered State you can make references the sections that start at Addendum 12/9/74 in your runs, your players, if they were able to keep or ask for a copy of the files, might realize that things going on during the runs cause some of the crazy Seth was dealing with on his final days to finally make sense.
>>
File: Distinctive Style.jpg (46 KB, 500x467) Image search: [Google]
Distinctive Style.jpg
46 KB, 500x467
>>47358108
>The best defense is to be offensive
>>
File: 9i1v7ko.png (18 KB, 2598x1222) Image search: [Google]
9i1v7ko.png
18 KB, 2598x1222
Don't mind me. Shhh.
>>
Does anyone know where to find good succinct description of the Shadowrun setting I can shove at my players so that I don't have to force them to read the setting information in the rulebook until their eyes bleed? I want to help them get some character concepts in mind without violating players union laws in the process.
>>
>>47359508
D&D in a futuristic capitalist wasteland.
>>
How would you feel if you found out that one of your teammates has attached rail mounted shotguns to all of your swords, knives, and knuckledusters?
>>
>>47359508
http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/missions/background/

Ditch anyone that's too much for.
>>
>>47359553
what a shotty thing to do to someone
>>
>>47359553
i'd respond by attaching bayonets to each of his firearms (even the pistols, bows, and heavy weapons).
>>
>>47359723
And thus, the prank war began.
>>
File: Internet Punches.png (20 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
Internet Punches.png
20 KB, 400x388
>>47359354
>window
>in the middle of the building
>not even connected to a wall
>>
>>47359723
>>47359553
>in response to the bayonetting of his guns, he attaches guns to all of your every day objects
>you do the same
>soon, it requires high level gymnastics rolls to escape from the house of blades/house of guns.
>>
File: Cyberpunk_shadowrun.png (3 MB, 1919x1081) Image search: [Google]
Cyberpunk_shadowrun.png
3 MB, 1919x1081
>>47359508

In the 2010s-2030s, civilization basically collapsed globally. VITAS killed 25% of the population. Then after the Great Ghost Dance war the USA crumbled, new nation states rose from it's ashes.

Corporations got extraterritorial status and took over. Huge regions on the interiors of multiple continents were abandoned, cities were razed, and population losses left vast swathes of uninhabited urban decay.

Magic returned to the world, some people goblinized, some people started being born as elves and dwarves, and a new disease HMHVV is turning people into ghouls and vampires.

The Matrix replaced the internet and is totally pervasive throughout all daily life.

Shadowrun is set during a time after the various apocalypses, where the world is building itself into something new, on the ashes and rubble of what used to be. You are a Shadowrunner, and you are a deniable asset for hire in the wild west of the new power politics.

It turns out that people don't go all Mad Max when the world collapses. They figure out how to survive and rebuild. And someone always gets rich on the opportunities that present themselves in such situations.
You can also throw in stuff like Deus/Matrix crash 2.0, Aztlan-Amazon war, Shedim, Chicago has been nuked, NYC leveled by earthquake and is now MDC ect but I'd stick to the main points. They can figure the rest out.
>>
File: Bombs.jpg (502 KB, 996x1882) Image search: [Google]
Bombs.jpg
502 KB, 996x1882
>>47359781
>run goes bad
>you escape to your Puyallup safehouse
>you seal the door, activate the wards, and prepare to hide out for a few weeks until the heat dies down
>you pull the cord for the lightswitch, your finger catches on a Agent Special's trigger
>in the muzzle flash you take in everything
>your burner commlink is taped to a gun
>your ruthenium polymer cloak is woven through guns
>your soyrations each have a bullet embedded within
>your trid station is replaced with a flashlight and gun shadow puppets
>the timed lock on the hatch doesn't open for two weeks
>>
>>47359969
>>47359781
>>47359708
I am going to lose my sides if this continues, anons
>>
>>47359508
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rIgIVKVbrw

Shadowrun explained by the creator of rick and morty
>>
File: 3677125631.jpg (7 KB, 270x126) Image search: [Google]
3677125631.jpg
7 KB, 270x126
>>47359969
>you get hungry after not eating for an entire day
>go to drawer for utensil for soup
>see pic related
>>
>>47360100
oh my god
>>
>>47360010
>you wake up in a streetdoc's clinic
>your sides have been replaced with guns
>you must spend thousands of nuyen getting new sides that won't set off every alarm in the city when you walk around
>bladeguy refuses to apologize
>you go on a dramatic run
>you get pinned down by corpsec with bladeguy
>he's bleeding out
>it's only a few seconds until the assault cannon comes to bear and shreds you both
>he looks at you
>"I'm sorry"
>presses failsafe button on his commlink
>your sides open up
>concealed implanted guns fall out
>>
File: m3.jpg (11 KB, 398x108) Image search: [Google]
m3.jpg
11 KB, 398x108
>>47360121
>having yet not adjusted to this new blade/gun world, your instincts kick in and you reach for some gauze
>>
File: 1446826712283.jpg (108 KB, 993x805) Image search: [Google]
1446826712283.jpg
108 KB, 993x805
new runner here, i'm having trouble picturing how a DNI works.

You need a datajack, then you need to plug into things the things you wish to interact with? can it work wirelessly?

is there anyway to achieve a DNI without a datajack?
>>
>>47360392
In 5E, your datajack has full wireless functionality, as well as a built in data cable for more secure connections (I think). The alternative is a 'trode net, which can be built in to a helmet or headband. It transmits the signal to your brain without the need for an implant.
>>
>>47360216
>>47360121
I would watch this sitcom
>>
>>47359921
>>47360091
>>47359607
Sweet, I've got my bearable length, my tl;dr and my audio. Thanks!
>>
>>47357948
>running premade adventures
Nothing wrong with that.
>>
File: One of These Threads.webm (1 MB, 450x472) Image search: [Google]
One of These Threads.webm
1 MB, 450x472
>>47360561
>ywn get a Shadowrun sitcom
>ywn get a Shadowrun tv show or movie of any kind
>>
>>47360825
Saturday Morning Shadowrun when
>>
>>47360868
When a studio thinks that the wealth of potential stories in Shadowrun is worth the cost of licensing it (including not having control of the IP, which is a big thing for studios) and the fact that normies and even a lot of nerds think it's ridiculous and would dismiss it out of hand.

So when pigs freeze over.
>>
>>47360825
It seems like a pretty good vehicle for cheesy urban fantasy shows. I feel like Syfy or CW would eat that shit up if they got a good (or "good") pitch
>>
File: Dead Dreams.jpg (80 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Dead Dreams.jpg
80 KB, 400x300
>>47360971
The problem with those shows is that they have no budget. They can get away with it on Lost Girl by having everyone look human and wear street clothes 95% of the time, and sprinkle in some CGI when they need to and the budget allows. Similarly, stuff like Farscape stays profitable by having a small cast and a contained set, where they can weight the budget towards the start (making the set and all the prosthetics) and keeping it minimal after that initial investment, recycling the same rubber masks every other cheap sci-fi show uses.

To do Shadowrun right you need a budget that accommodates heavy amounts of prosthetics and costuming to make orcs and trolls (the elves and dwarves would need a bit to, but not much, and the other metas are way beyond even thinking about), to do all the cyberware, and to come up with the future-street dress, plus all the money for doing magic CGI, plus money for doing any technological CGI like having AR ads or showing the hosts, plus a variety of sets that are more complicated than abandoned warehouses in Hamilton.

It would be either way beyond the budget of Syfy and CW, or incredibly limited in scope and cheap-looking. If I could I'd make a 6-8 episode miniseries with a $60 million budget, but I think that's why I don't run a studio.
>>
So I wanted to run a runner idea pass some anons, an idea I had when I was drunk...which I still am.

So a young girl steps on a landmine, but a shitty one that some street punk set up. Or an IED hit her and her parents car or something. So now she has 4 cyberlimbs and other medical work. A small amount of essence left. Runs shadows to help pay for augments, doesn't care too much for human life, chance to kill fucking street scum for cash.

Can I pick up outspoken prejudice against gangers [specific group] negative quality?
>>
File: 1327690201062.jpg (11 KB, 236x286) Image search: [Google]
1327690201062.jpg
11 KB, 236x286
>>47361449
I would say yes. Are you going to go with In Debt [some ludicrous high number] to represent cyberware bills?
>>
>>47361449
That could be cool.

Not sure if Prejudice would count for gangers, I always thought it would be for Trolls or SR!Stormfront.

>>47361480
This is a good idea.
>>
>>47361449
Maybe her family's car was hit a booster gang and that particular gang is the focus of her prejudice?
>>
>>47361449
That's a good concept, and playing a loli is always commendable. Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>47361449
Yes? I'm not sure how much of a flaw that would be unless she lives and works in or next to the gang's turf, and could get her into trouble.

I'm more concerned that she's going to have to buy a lot of cyberlimb replacements as she grows up.
>>
>>47361536
the prejudice can be broad (all gangars or whatever) or narrow (a particular gang), it just depends upon how much karma you want
>>
>>47361576
Hormone treatment to stop growth, so that she doesn't outgrow her ware. Boom, permaloli.
>>
>>47361656
>perma body = 2
>perma strength = 2
>>
>>47361576
>I'm more concerned that she's going to have to buy a lot of cyberlimb replacements as she grows up.
Good character motivation. Has to earn enough to pay off the interest on current limbs and enough to get bigger versions.

Or trying to kill the person who holds her note to get out from under.
>>
>>47360392

Datajack, Trodes, Implanted Commlink and Control Rig all have DNI.

Most of DNI/Wireless deals with that character's Personal Network. It's one of those things that should of been better explained and termed
>>
>>47361480
I forgot that negative quality, does it give me actual nuyen or is it just plot point that the corps have me on some stupid high interest plan
>>47361576
Perhaps that could be covered in the horrid predatory Corp medical plan
>>47361566
I hadn't thought of being a loli just had that pic laying around.
>>47361656
Would the constant treatment be price worthy versus changing into the final limbs at 18-20 yrs old?
>>
>>47361731
>Razorloli has increased to age 18
>Razorloli has evolved into Giant Razorloli!
>>
>>47361731
They are probably able to do it permanently in the future. Depending on how young she is, she might end up needing 3-4 replacements for all her chrome, and that's a huge monetary investment. Maybe her parents made the decision for her, or maybe she made the decision herself out of desperation.
>>
File: In Debt.jpg (24 KB, 400x278) Image search: [Google]
In Debt.jpg
24 KB, 400x278
>>47361731
In Debt is in Run Faster- for every karma point, it's 5k nuyen. You owe all the money you borrowed, plus 50%, with that amount increasing 10% monthly until it's paid off.
>>
>>47361839
That's bank robbery motivation.
Perhaps save up money from jobs until I have enough to fund our team to go steal a ton of incan Nazi gold bars that aztechnology has hidden in a vault somewhere.
>>
>>47361898
>Running against the azzies
Really eager to lose the rest of your body, huh
>>
File: Sprawl Thug.png (227 KB, 987x755) Image search: [Google]
Sprawl Thug.png
227 KB, 987x755
>>47361898
In Debt leads to a lot of people looking for a big score. Just remember to pay your minimums before the legbreakers visit.

>If the character misses a monthly payment, which has to be at least the interest for the month, they take 1 box of Physical damage for every 20,000 nuyen they owe. This can’t be resisted and can’t be healed until they pay their minimum as their friendly neighborhood lender sent the appropriate message and then leans on them until they get their money.
>>
>>47357003
Nice pic, needs more black and yellow tho :^)
>>
>>47361935
Aww is baby scared that they are going to turn you into some kind of meat puppet.
How about you keep taking your safe jobs with your safe nuyen while we go out for a chance at that retirement score.

Or die horribly....chances are we will die horribly even if we play it safe. Might as well be foolish then
>>
File: Tenochtitlan.jpg (727 KB, 3174x1062) Image search: [Google]
Tenochtitlan.jpg
727 KB, 3174x1062
>>47362063
But you're not going to get to retire. You'll spend a year underground avoiding notice and letting the trail go cold, two more laundering the money safely, 8 months on a beach in the Caribbean League, then your heart gets ripped out with ritual magic.

The reason the Azzies have such a shit reputation is that they do not let things lie. At least Zero Zones end, the Azzies will hunt down and butcher anyone who has wronged them in the shadows, even if it takes a decade.
>>
>>47361967
That part of the quality is fucking retarded. Nothing should ever happen without player input.
>>
>>47362106
Just cover your tracks well, then.
>>
File: georgie22.jpg (334 KB, 2100x1392) Image search: [Google]
georgie22.jpg
334 KB, 2100x1392
>>47362106
That's why it's got to be the perfect heist.

And because no one in their right mind would even think about it, is why it would work
>>
>>47362159
You had the input of choosing it. If you like your kneecaps, don't take the loan.
>>
>>47362159
You do have player input. The player said that they wanted the quality, the player chose not to pay their premiums, the player pays the price.

It's like taking Extreme Common Allergies (Pollution) then complaining when you can't go outside without a hazmat suit.
>>
>>47362210
You know what I meant. A player should always be given a chance to resist, no matter how much he or she is in debt. How the hell sre the legbreakers even going to find the runner?
>>
>>47362262
No, they shouldn't, because players are smart and the GM has better things to do than spending session time devoted to hunting down the character. In Debt is a negative quality; "free nuyen, plus I get sessions devoted to my character outwitting the debt collectors" is a positive quality.

You take abstract damage to make the quality actually cost you and encourage you to pay your damn bills. If you don't like it, don't take the quality, and if you still want the money work out a payment scheme in game with the GM.
>>
>>47362262
They took a material sample as part of the debt plan, and now have a wagemage toss magic at your blood if you don't cough up the cash
They built some kind of weirdass electroshock device into your body when you were on the table
Just make something up, it doesn't matter what.
>>
>>47362377
You can resist ritual magic like normal. And ritual magic uses up the sample when it's cast.
>>
>>47362372

Actually, gree nuyen and dedicated sessions to the character outwitting the debt collectors sounds about right. Same for the wanted quality.
>>
>>47362521
>technicalities
Look, it's some kind of stupid azzie bullshit. This is why you shouldn't take loans from people who wear black cloaks. Do I have to think of everything?
>>
>>47362372
I'd like to run it as the sharks show up to actually break your legs and do multiple boxes, but you resist either by fighting, running or your quick wit and make it out with only losing one. The sharks leave after because they art paid enough to deal with this
>>
>>47362619
Now this is a better way to handle it.
>>
Is there any dirt on Salish Shidhe? I can't find too much info on them, whatever I find are snippets here and there. They just seem to good, too eco friendly for the setting.
>>
>>47362681

Also I heard through the grapevine that the group is going to try and renegotiate the run payment in the middle of the run. As the DM I want to give them advice and let them decide if they want to renegotiate or not, but what should I tell them>?
>>
File: Medkit.jpg (91 KB, 681x681) Image search: [Google]
Medkit.jpg
91 KB, 681x681
>>47362576
That's my point.

If you listen to System Mastery, they mention Wanted and equivalent qualities, and why they are bullshit. It's not a negative trait for the character, it's a positive trait for the player. Everyone wants to be the main character and get cool moments, and this quality is buying the spotlight.

It's basically a dare to the GM: "I got karma from this, which I spent on other things. Now you have two choices- either you don't pursue the quality, in which case I got free karma, or you do pursue it and I get to be the star of my own little spy thriller. And if you do use it, how far are you going to go? Are you going to pussy out and let me get out of it/reduce the pressure until it's just a little thing in the background (brought out now and then so I can have some limelight), or are you going to follow it through to the bitter end, have all our contacts turn against us for the bounty, and torpedo the game? After all, you're the one who says which NPCs would hear about the bounty, and whether or not they make a play for it. What are you going to do, GM? Are you going to let it slide, or are you going to be unfair and ruin the game over 10 karma?"

In Debt is the best way to handle it, because it gives you the intended advantage (the nuyen) for the established disadvantage (the extended cost and threat of damage) while avoiding the unintended advantage (the spotlight hog). It's a way to get some money- if you want to have a whole campaign based around paying back loan sharks, there's better ways of doing it than a 10-karma quality. >>47362619 might work as a way to play it out without the quality taking over the game, but trying to turn the mechanics into a piece of narrative for the players to twist is a shit idea.
>>
>>47362730
Your advice should be, "You are criminals without steady legal employment, without the possibility of escaping from this life without significant money, and the only thing you have going for you are the references you can get from the people who hire you to do crimes. If you try and fuck over those people by welshing on a deal, you will not get good references, then you get no work, then you sell your holes in some Yak whorehouse to a Crimson Crush troll train gang bang."

You can make much more money by following through with the job, making sure you don't take work you don't think you can stomach, and working another day and the day after that, than you can by wringing out a few extra nuyen from this one job.
>>
>>47361447
Eh the good part is you can have all the antagonists as human mooks especially if you go earlier in the timeline so you can save cash on metas. Make one of the mains a troll and have other trolls only when it matters for his plotline. Throw in some ugly CG and you have a pretty rocking Canadian/Syfy show. This is from a guy who unironically loves Dark Matter
>>
>>47362745
There's nothing wrong with a player getting to be in a spotlight, just as long as he's not in the spotlight all the time. Player has wanted quality and wants to get rid of it? Fine, make him plan a hard run to get rid of the quality. And by hard I mean really fucking lethal. That way it's not free karma, since the player has to face death to get rif of the quality.

The other players can help, and will be the stars in later sessions.
>>
File: 1463639753015.jpg (388 KB, 1500x1200) Image search: [Google]
1463639753015.jpg
388 KB, 1500x1200
>>47357003
What's a good explanation for a Nartaki to end up in Europe or America as a shadowrunner?
>>
>>47363303
There isn't one. Your special snowflake a shit.
>>
>>47363303
Did it only happen to indians who live in india or did it happen to expats too? (Sorta like how the irish everywhere were more likely to be elves.)
Your character could just be some random 3rd generation immigrant.
>>
File: 1453384543981.jpg (353 KB, 1600x1131) Image search: [Google]
1453384543981.jpg
353 KB, 1600x1131
>>47363312
They're in the book, I need to figure out how to fenaggle them in somewhere. Like Sasquatch, or Naga.

Though, I was thinking about having a suit and tie wearing Naga would had been SURGEd to have arms being a Mr. Johnson at some point.
>>
>>47363229
There's nothing wrong with the spotlight some of the time, (it's my preferred way to run games) but my point was that Wanted is a 'spotlight all the time' quality.

>The bounty should be worth at least 25,000 nuyen, enough to tempt even one’s own “friends.” The character should have to frequently deal with someone coming for them or finding out about the bounty and using it against them.

It restructures every relationship around that character (does this contact know about the bounty? Might they have found out, and are going to use our relationship to get to him? What about this Johnson, is this all an elaborate set-up? What about the dozens of other NPCs that populate the world we live in, who are almost by definition going to be other people in the shadows, doing their best to make ends meet, who would be tempted by this bounty?). And I doubt that any GM would allow someone to pay 10 karma and have the quality just evaporate; for internal consistency if nothing else, there's going to have to be something else that settles it, whether it's a lethal run or a big RP conversation with whoever is rich enough to spend at least 25,000¥ hunting the character down.
>>
>>47363326
Huh, if people are mixed race do they display traits of both parents ethnicity if they turn out to be human?

If someone is, say, Half-Greek/Half-Japanese and became a Troll, would they display traits of both Satyr and Oni?
>>
File: QiyjKrW.png (2 MB, 2560x1826) Image search: [Google]
QiyjKrW.png
2 MB, 2560x1826
>>47363406
*ork

Sorry about that.
>>
File: Surge Gang Takes To Hooding.jpg (177 KB, 639x564) Image search: [Google]
Surge Gang Takes To Hooding.jpg
177 KB, 639x564
>>47363343
>They're in the book, I need to figure out how to fenaggle them in somewhere. Like Sasquatch, or Naga.

That's terrible reasoning. There's a ton of shit in the Shadowrun books, they cover the globe and a variety of different campaigns. You shouldn't try to work a Sasquatch into your Hong Kong corpsec game, or a Naga in the Rhine-Ruhr street scum campaign. Are you awake some nights because you can't find a place for xapiri thëpë in Chicago? Some things are clearly meant for certain settings, like an Indian metatype ending up in an Indian Union (or nearby area) campaign.
>>
>>47363429
Traveling isn't exactly hard in Shadowrun, you know.
>>
>>47363429
I've just never been part of a campaign set in India, and non of my group have ever expressed interest. I got really attached to them when I read about them, and it's just started to really bug me that they made it basically impossible to fit them in literally anywhere but India. They're cool, I like them, and I want to be able to play one at some point in the future, but just can't make it happen without seeming like some kind of turbo-Mary Sue.
>>
If you explain to the goon who has to hold your gun for security reasons that your gun is cursed, and that it may try to escape so he has to watch it closely, would you effectively ruin his day?
>>
>>47363554
He'd likely think you're full of shit, or keep a closer eye on -you-. Or pass it off to another goon he doesn't like very much.
>>
Would it be possible to make an attractive troll for trideo? Something that allows them to not be typecast?
>>
>>47363406
Always going to be one or the other, no in-between shit like in other RPGs.
>>
>>47363620
this is fine.
Now I just need to find a gun that is cursed.
>>
File: 1445743016958.jpg (962 KB, 2048x1453) Image search: [Google]
1445743016958.jpg
962 KB, 2048x1453
>>47363471
True, but it's unlikely that a metatype that seems to be generated at the Ganges, from Hindus, who are made Brahmin and worshipped as divine avatars, would end up doing B&E jobs for rent money halfway around the world. If you have the money to travel that distance, and that cultural cachet, you're not going to end up in the shadows.

>>47363481
Best reasoning for them is to show up in Southeast Asia, with the National SINner negative quality, on a religious/political mission while sneaking out to do good. It's hard to make centaurs work in the vast majority of campaigns, which are set in cities with their inconvenient stairs, or satyrs outside of Europe, or koborokuru outside of Japan. That's the breaks, there's plenty more metas in the sea.

>>47363554
Yes. Best case scenario, he stops you for a thorough assensing of your person and the weapon, because nobody wants to be the guy who brought in the cursed gun that turned everyone in the lobby into goo. Worst case scenario, he has to arrest you for possessing some illegal magic, and there goes his lunch break to paperwork instead of catching the combat biking highlights. You jerk.
>>
>>47363643
That may be the breaks, but man is it a hard break.

Honestly, the most frustrating part might be the fact that India just doesn't feel very fleshed out in SR. I feel like it's part of the reason people I know feel reluctant to set stuff there. They can't lean on the sourcebooks for cultures they don't know as much about, like Germany or Mexico.
>>
>>47363643
I thought all exotic metavariants had it rough one way or the other, asians especially. Haven't read much on Nartaki, though.
>>
>>47363626
Japanacorp sponsored Metatype Reduction, availabile in cyberware and bioware. Please use as directed. /srg/ is not responsible for loss of respect caused by Metatype Reduction. Check out Chrome Flesh to learn more.
>>
File: Boomstick.jpg (279 KB, 405x800) Image search: [Google]
Boomstick.jpg
279 KB, 405x800
>>47363626
Sure, everybody's different. Not all trolls are the knurled snouty kind, some have much more subdued dermal deposits or smaller horns (EX: Eiger). And there's always cosmetic treatments that can make them that way.

I also hear that folks that are born trolls instead of goblinizing do look better. I guess the transformation is hard on a body.

Ultimately, you just need the CHA.
>>
>>47363709
To put it into perspective, there are approximately 5000 Nartaki, almost all of them are in India, and only along the Ganges. They were almost universally stewarded away to live in temples forever.

There are 35000 Sasquatch.

At this point, I'm barely even sure why the put Nartaki in the rules at all, except to throw India/base human variants a bone.
>>
>>47363429
>nofunallowed.trid
>>
>>47363763
>some have much more subdued dermal deposits or smaller horns
Cosmetic reduction / surgery.
>>
>>47363626
>a dumb joke about trolls always being horny
>>
File: 1435692918026.jpg (88 KB, 492x705) Image search: [Google]
1435692918026.jpg
88 KB, 492x705
>>47363626
n-no
>>
File: Siembieda and Hobbes.jpg (214 KB, 800x553) Image search: [Google]
Siembieda and Hobbes.jpg
214 KB, 800x553
>>47363939
By that logic, Rifts is the most fun game out there, because there's no rules about how things work together or plausibly emerge from the world's framework, it's just random shit happening all the time and it doesn't matter if you play a Cyber-Knight or a Dog-Boy, there's the exact same chance of one of them being somewhere doing something.

Rifts is a lot of fun, which undercuts my point a bit, but it's still stupid as hell
>>
>>47366941
You shouldn't try to work a Sasquatch into your Hong Kong corpsec game
Why not?

>or a Naga in the Rhine-Ruhr street scum campaign.
Naga were used as security paracritters before they were discovered to be sapient. Still are, in some places. Could find one anywhere.

>Are you awake some nights because you can't find a place for xapiri thëpë in Chicago?
Not really, no. If I wanted, I could find the means to justify it.

>Some things are clearly meant for certain settings, like an Indian metatype ending up in an Indian Union (or nearby area) campaign.
The majority of said metatype are Indian, but not all, nor are all from the same mana event.
>>
>>47367218
>The majority of said metatype are Indian, but not all, nor are all from the same mana event.

I'm going to need a source on that; everything I've read about Natarki says that they are Hindus, awakened along the Ganges over the past 10 years, usually during a religious festival. I don't know of any canonical non-Indian Natarki.
>>
>>47367271
The Ganges also flows through Bangladesh last time I checked.
>>
>>47363406
>>47363424
In all likelihood they'd just be an ork. Not every Japanese ork is an oni - they're sub-species, not ethnicities.
That said, if an oni and a satyr bang it up, I'm pretty sure >>47363628 has it.
>>
File: Technicality.png (127 KB, 687x385) Image search: [Google]
Technicality.png
127 KB, 687x385
>>47367292
Again, I've never heard of a non-Hindu becoming a Natarki. There's Hindus in Bangladesh if you want to play someone not from the Indian Union, but I don't think it's written anywhere that there are Muslims turning into Natarki.
>>
>>47363365
As a GM I'd ignore it until I wanted to fuck with the player

then I'd have dog the bounty hunter but also a troll show up dual wielding combat axes next time he's out shopping for dildos
>>
>>47367331
They're a metavariant, so presumably after the initial bout of whatever they decided to call goblinization they'd just be born.
>>
>>47362521
>And ritual magic uses up the sample when it's cast.
A sample can consist of a single hair. Cut off a large amount and one should have more than enough to cast a spell on some asshole once a month until he coughs up the money he owes.
>>
File: Football.png (210 KB, 401x345) Image search: [Google]
Football.png
210 KB, 401x345
>>47367431
...This conversation was just an elaborate setup so you could get someone to admit that a 4-armed 8-year-old orphan is the most plausible explanation for a natarki shadowrunner in the UCAS, wasn't it. Damn it, loliposter.
>>
>>47367451
I think it's fairly obvious that most GMs wouldn't allow a single hair to be used as a material link. I sure wouldn't.
>>
>>47363303
You live in an Indian community in the New York sprawl
>>
>>47367271
AFB, so here's the wiki.

>First seen during the SURGE events of 2061 in India [...] living almost entirely within India.
First, not only. Almost entirely, not entirely.
>>
>>47367472

Hey, that wasn't me. Other people love lolis too.
>>
>>47367451
Samples won't last indefinitely unless frozen.
>>
>>47367472
No, but that's better than my actual intent, so why not pretend that it is.
>>
File: No Fun.jpg (31 KB, 221x272) Image search: [Google]
No Fun.jpg
31 KB, 221x272
>>47367524
I think you're misreading (not surprising, because the wiki is garbage). From Runner's Companion:

>Among the diverse magical phenomena visited upon the planet in 2061 were a series of mass SURGE events in India. Thousands of revelers were bathing in the holy waters of the Ganges were effected when a massive mana pulse flowed down the great Ganga manaline. Perplexing scientific observers, many of the victims of these SURGE events expressed metatraits which bore striking parallels to Hindu folklore and mythology.
>Among the effected, one group was quickly singled out. A large number of individuals expressed the same common traits—a pair of additional arms and unusual skin hues. These were quickly named Nartaki (literally, “dancers,”) by the locals in deference to the deity Shiva whose festival they were celebrating.
>We now believe that the Ganges events, which have recurred a handful of times since, obfuscated a human goblinization event, triggering a unique metagenetic predisposition in several thousand baseline humans.

Nartaki are born in Hindu religious festivals, in the Ganges. They didn't all come from the same SURGE during the Year of the Comet, but that's when it started. I never said that they were all in the same batch, just that it's not a thing that is happening to Muslims who happen to live near the Ganges, or Indian expats- whether you're in Bangladesh or India, if you're not celebrating these Hindu religious festivals you're not going to SURGE into Nartaki.

And while they do say a 'a precious few' of the less than 5000 Nartaki live outside the subcontinent, even the book acknowledges the snowflakeness.
>> Nartaki are quite the oddity in India and particularly in the shadows—their distinctive looks and rarity draw way too much attention.

If anon is dead set on playing a Nartaki in an Euro-American game, then do it, but do it with the full knowledge that your character is going to be a snowflake.
>>
>>47367517
Really? I thought a single hair would be fairly standard. Still, it's beside the point. If they need more, they'll demand more. Anyone desperate enough to take out loans from the wizard mafia is desperate enough to shave their head as collateral.
>>47367556
That's dumb cuz hair doesn't rot, but the wizard mafia can loan you up to 100k nuyen so they can probably afford a freezer.
>>
>>47367643
OTOH, I think you're reading into it incorrectly.
>>
>>47367654
The issue isn't rot, but that samples leech mana, and depending on the size and type, quite quickly.
>>
>>47367643
I sometimes feel like that is what shadowrun has turned into: a competition on the most snowflakey character thanks to SURGE. Yeah metavariants were around for a while, and you can easily explain away an Oni in Seattle or California or a Minotaur in Sicily due to proximity, but shit like that any GM worth his weight in salt should make them automatically take the distinctive style quality or something else which makes tracking down easy as shit for good and bad, especially the bad.

I still want to make an insanely creepy rigger a dryad
>>
>>47367778
Nartaki do have Striking Skin Pigmentation, which is similar to Distinctive Style in that it grants a bonus to trying to identify or locate a character with it.

I love the various metatypes, but all in proper context; so many settings devolve into kitchen sink slurry just because people combine everything from every splat into a single campaign/region.
>>
>>47367778
A number of SURGE qualities are described to have effects similar to Distinctive Style, and even everyone's favorite Neoteny has actual negative effects to it.
>>
>>47367876
beyond the extra cost to lifestyle? yeah, I'd imagine any average Joe or Jane would be more than freaked out when what they thought was a kid pulls out a pack of cigarettes and starts smoking and says "fuck I needed one of these."
>>
>>47367828
My problem with Nartaki specifically is that they seem so hilariously hamstrung in terms of ability to fit them in places, it seems weird that they should even be brought up at all.

If they're going to be rare in India, and rarer still everywhere else to the point of non-existence, why even add them to the book? It just seems like snowflake bait.
>>
>>47367909
Lower social dice, smaller condition monitor, extra cost. It ain't easy being loli.

>>47367914
Humans lacked any metavariants, so maybe that was the reason.
>>
>>47367914
>It just seems like snowflake bait.

Pretty much. Someone at Catalyst (or whoever owned the license when Nartaki were first detailed) probably saw a picture like >>47363643 and thought that combining the most obvious Hindu imagery with Shadowrun made sense. Then in the writing it became super-rare (possibly to discourage multi-arm rules), and it transformed it from 'neat concept that some people might play' to 'very rare idea where you are automatically a special snowflake for playing one outside of a very specific campaign situation.;
>>
Are there any premade jobs that I could take and run for my players in my game? I'm a new GM and I don't know anything past the mechanics and setting basics.
>>
>>47367991
Food Fight and Fast Food Fight are standard runs that you can jump into with minimal trouble.
>>
>>47367991
everybody stand up for the national anthem of /srg/
"play food fight"
"play food fight"
"play food fight"
etc.
>>
File: New Runners, No Problem.gif (2 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
New Runners, No Problem.gif
2 MB, 600x338
>>47368017
>>
File: cyberpunk2.jpg (2 MB, 2400x1350) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk2.jpg
2 MB, 2400x1350
>>47368017
>>47367991

If you want to skip the tutorial and get into a full campaign, Splintered State.
>>
How is this for a campaign pitch.

Street scum level game, set in the barrens or a regulated wasteland. The runs will be centered around acquiring parts for a truck which can run right through the barricades keeping them in. The final run, of course, will be actually breaching the barricades, and then finding a hidey hole.

Basically, escape from the barrens.
>>
>>47367953
That's another reason why it's frustrating.

But ultimately it just feels so obviously like how >>47367955 said. They were basically added because maybe one or two people thought it would be cool, then we're almost entirely cut down for whatever reason.

India has a population of almost a billion, incredibly rich history and mythology, and it has exactly two unique meta variants. One of which is functionally useless. You fucking serious SR writers?
>>
File: Escape_From_NY.png (4 MB, 1919x1078) Image search: [Google]
Escape_From_NY.png
4 MB, 1919x1078
>>47368088
Seems like a plan that's doomed to failure
>>
>>47368094
Shiva Arms SURGE quality was added in the same book as Nartaki, so I think it was more the case of the writers thinking "how can we give a unique spin to a designated featureless metatype when that's what metatypes already are?"
>>
>>47367991
http://www.savevsdm.com/pdf/SR4-101Scenarios.pdf
>>
>>47368094
Two indian meta variants are pretty high compared to one african and no chinese ones.
>>
File: Redmond.jpg (130 KB, 500x434) Image search: [Google]
Redmond.jpg
130 KB, 500x434
>>47368088
Neo-anarchist Berlin? Modern Boston? What sprawl?

Also, you may want to set it up as 'getting TO somewhere' as opposed to 'getting AWAY from somewhere', because otherwise the players will look for any weak point in the dozens of kilometers of fencing, cut through, and just go steal a truck on the other side, instead of going through the big dramatic finale. But it does sound interesting. Get one of those huge construction trucks from Rigger 5, let them build a Killdozer.
>>
>>47368154
Holy shit.

I didn't even realize that China has no unique metavariants.

That's really fucked up to say the least. Especially given that it's not even like China is a part of the world they've ignored in terms of other fluff. Like Africa.
>>
>>47368158
probably just seattle, since that's default flavor, but honestly I'm looking for a nice sprawl that has a very good wasteland and no crossing zone.
>>
>>47368180
I remember reading somewhere that they had full sourcebooks for Latin America and Africa planned in 3E, but canceled them.
>>
>>47368180
>Like Africa
Africa has loads of setting info.
>>
>>47367991
Plots and Paydata (5E Alphaware Toolkit) contains a number of premade milk runs (one actually named Milk Run and one is the venerable Food Fight). Plots and Patdata also contains a number of encounter/run ideas for use in the maps contained within the Alphaware Toolkit and stat blocks for grunts.
>>
>>47368180
Well there aren't any North American meta variants, either. Or Australian.

>>47368207
http://www.fexes.de/downloads/Shadows_of_Latin_America_v1-2-1.pdf
>>
File: 1446805697596.jpg (34 KB, 400x480) Image search: [Google]
1446805697596.jpg
34 KB, 400x480
>>47368180
>That's really fucked up
quit being a nancy, it's not the writers' responsibility to write as much content including every possible ethnicity, creed, or heritage to avoid being accused of racism, prejudice, or whatever.
>>
>>47368232
>one is the venerable Food Fight
Not really. I mean, I get that Food Fight changes every edition I still think 4e did it best but this new one isn't even in a Stuffer Shack! You're not thrown together by random gang violence, you go out on a run to a fast food restaurant.
>>
>>47368094
POO IN THE LOO
>>
>>47368180
There are 21 metavariants, and some of them don't even have any geographic or cultural influences. However you cut the cake, not every one of the like 300 present day countries would be able to get their own variety of an elf.

>>47368263
That's Fast Food Fight from a different book.
>>
>>47368263
That's Fast Food Fight, a run that is included in the quick-start rules, this one is actually the 4E Food Fight updated to 5E.
>>
File: SRJP_replay3.jpg (1 MB, 800x1293) Image search: [Google]
SRJP_replay3.jpg
1 MB, 800x1293
>>47368298
Not that anon, but there's a difference between 'Lithuania doesn't have a dedicated metatype' and 'Scandinavia has at least two, at least equal to India and more than China, who together make up a huge chunk of the global population.'

It's just indicative that SR is very centered on North America and Europe, which is a shame because I really want to get into Warlord China but there's very little purchase to be had beyond Hong Kong.

>>47368298
>>47368332
Then I retract my outrage. Where is the regular Food Fight?
>>
File: Retarded Me.webm (695 KB, 334x250) Image search: [Google]
Retarded Me.webm
695 KB, 334x250
>>47368360
Wait, found it in Plots and Paydata.
>>
>>47368360
As I said, the Plots and Paydata book in 5E's Alphaware Toolkit, you can find it in the pastebin.
>>
>>47368254
>Or Australian
Australia doesn't even have native orks & trolls.
>>
>>47367654
Honestly, if they've got the gumption to use the curse ritual, they may as well do a Watcher ritual and then have it be the spotter for a Prodigal Spell ritual.

Oh, and possibly pay somebody a pittance of nuyen to break a window or something if they want to use an indirect spell.

Stunbolt guarantees that it won't directly kill, but Clout or Blast at a middle level of force is also unlikely to kill with the added benefit of allowing for more force to be used.
>>
File: heisters in 1991.png (606 KB, 1280x851) Image search: [Google]
heisters in 1991.png
606 KB, 1280x851
>>47358669
Fuck year, PD2 shadowrunning
>>
>>47363643
https://vimeo.com/159050235
>>
>>47368149
This is what I wanted, thanks.
>>
>>47367991
I we've got a module in the pastebin made by some namefag from way back when.
>>
>>47357280
>and ate rat-on-a-stick with us.
I understood that reference.
>>
File: Rat-On-A-Stick.jpg (49 KB, 441x192) Image search: [Google]
Rat-On-A-Stick.jpg
49 KB, 441x192
>>47369852
So did the game.
>>
File: 1327690201059.jpg (77 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
1327690201059.jpg
77 KB, 375x500
>>47357041
Bumping this question.
>>
File: 1437950241905.jpg (97 KB, 1215x657) Image search: [Google]
1437950241905.jpg
97 KB, 1215x657
>>47357156
And why not, let's bump this question too.
>>
>>47357156
Offense. Hands down. Make an example and others don't fuck with you.

If you're on the defense, you need to win every time. 0% margin for error. Offense doesn't have that problem.
>>
File: SURGE Ratman.jpg (118 KB, 900x635) Image search: [Google]
SURGE Ratman.jpg
118 KB, 900x635
>>47371561
But in context, that means hunting down and hurting people for something they might do. At least the Skraacha maintain the moral high ground by defending and providing for the Underground against people who they know are aggressors. Plus, if they need help, it's all around them; they are stuck somewhere topside as KE comes buzzing in.
>>
>>47371675
*aren't

And it's not a 0% margin for error; they're defending a district, it can take a hit and survive.
>>
File: 193826441.jpg (219 KB, 1294x1600) Image search: [Google]
193826441.jpg
219 KB, 1294x1600
>>47371675
>moral high ground
this is about survival, not high minded rhetoric.

wanna live in your own territory as easily as possible? make occasional skirmishes into neighboring turfs and shake things up

its expected of those around you if you are defending all the time already, so why not join them and possibly win some spoils of war?
>>
File: 1440624327606.jpg (175 KB, 425x553) Image search: [Google]
1440624327606.jpg
175 KB, 425x553
>>47371806
But they already have enough reason to think orcs are savage animal idiots; the last thing Seattle needs is a bunch of orc supremacists running around, beating the tar out of wageslaves trying to install running water in an Underground tenement because it was bought by a subsidiary of a subsidiary of Renraku.

Throwing away your morals, while also throwing away all the PR that comes with that, is not a good plan in the long term.
>>
File: 1446412043870.jpg (201 KB, 1280x905) Image search: [Google]
1446412043870.jpg
201 KB, 1280x905
>>47371860
wageslaves aren't the ones impending on your territory. we're not talking about assaulting random civilians in the area, we're talking about gang warfare

as in: between gangs. there are no innocent victims in those situations.

besides, enough crime is committed by non-orks as well as plenty of orks not committing crime for the general non-ignorant populace to ignore the steryotype
>>
File: 1461306999182.jpg (1 MB, 3247x2767) Image search: [Google]
1461306999182.jpg
1 MB, 3247x2767
>>47371920
What gangs? There are no other gangs in this situation, at least not at this moment (unless you count the Reclaimers, which are more of a social movement). I'm talking about >>47357156, the Orc Underground and the push by Renraku and Seattle government to take over, reorganize, and resettle the area.

The ways that they are being fought is with defensive tactics by the Skraacha, doing their best to protect the community from abuse, and the Bot'Kham who are hunting down and attacking people before they even think about coming down. The Bot'Kham are all about assaulting random civilians to send the message that the Underground is for orcs.
>>
>>47371675
If rather see dead non Orcs than dead Orcs.

This is war. Not for land but for survival of our people. Better too heavy handed than otherwise.
>>
>>47372005
oh. i've misunderstood. i thought we were speaking about general gang tactics: to be offensive or defensive

but regardless, i'd still assume an offensive standpoint. just defending your turf and citizens is only going to tell the corps that you're not willing to get your hands dirty
>>
>>47372117
It's also going to show people that you kill innocents and wreck their shit without provocation, which is a great way to be seen as a threat rather than a fact of life. It's not like the cops are less likely to stop someone who commits random acts of violence than someone who doesn't. Murdering people and breaking their shit without provocation isn't going to be okay with anyone, and even civilian orcs might dissent - a regime that keeps itself standing through indiscriminate brutality simply to make an example of people rarely lasts long, and the internal dissent is usually what does it in.
Instead, cultivate an attitude of "you don't fuck with us, we don't fuck with you". Pull your armed goons and orc-supremacist thugs out of visible areas and tell them to lay low when they're on the town, so that people don't have a caricature that they can use to spread fear and so that the police don't have a stereotype that they can use to pin the blame on you.
Treat everyone in the Underground very nicely, even the non-orcs, as long as they play by the rules, and throw them out instead of shooting them dead if they disagree (and then shoot them if they try something funny, keeping them under surveillance if you're suspicious they might bring the cops/corps).
Make people feel that you're good neighbors, and if you can't do that, make them feel like you're not a threat right now. Let people come to the Underground and shop or have a meal, and restrict the orc-only zones to the center of the Underground where you really can't accidentally wander in.
Don't spend a lot of money on bullying and posturing - build fortifications, repair the Underground, and most importantly buy a fuckton of weapons that can be deployed in defensive positions. Clear out the outer few tunnels so that there can be no doubt that any aggressors crossed the limit before being shot at - warning signs are your friend.
If anyone then tries to fuck with you, unleash the holy fury of God on them.
>>
File: Speech Check Fails.gif (962 KB, 245x213) Image search: [Google]
Speech Check Fails.gif
962 KB, 245x213
>>47372416
>warning signs are your friend

I don't make friends with memes.
>>
>>47372476
It's been a common figure of speech since before Tumblr started overusing it and the 9kek crowd declared it a "mee-mee" because a lot of people happened to be using it.
You can dislike forced memes if you want to, but at least remember what a meme actually is. Nowadays, people are so eager to feel like they're riding down the tubes of the Internet with so many other leet hackers that they'll call anything a meme simply to feel like they're relevant and important. Don't let the Tumblr and Reddit crowds control your language and make you scared of common expressions.
>>
>>47372632
>remember what a meme actually is
A meme is basically literally any idea, according to the original definition. His usage checks out.
>>
>>47372416
additionally, attacking without provocation will give corporate retaliations good PR.

>"Tonight at 8:00, in response to increased aggression from underground Ork gangs, Renraku has deployed a tactical security force to protect innocent civilians. Captain Amori
had this to say about it..."
>>
File: disgusted_bear.jpg (5 KB, 190x153) Image search: [Google]
disgusted_bear.jpg
5 KB, 190x153
>>47371920
>Kriss
>HK
>6.8mm SPC
>>
>>47372765
A meme can be any idea, yes.
What defines it is that it spreads in a specific way - organically and virally, in a natural way without interference. An advertisement that everyone knows is not a meme, and the jingle for the main public television news channel is not a meme. Something is not a meme just because it's an idea, and it's not a meme because it's well known.
A meme spreads on its own, and the more it's forced and the more self-awareness there is about it, the less likely it is that it's a meme.
>>
>>47372852
p. certain jingles were actually used as an example of a meme by dickity dorkins
>>
File: raiden.png (448 KB, 600x601) Image search: [Google]
raiden.png
448 KB, 600x601
>>47372852
How about "full of shit"? Is that a meme?
>>
>>47372852
memes can be forced or unforced. that has no factor in determining whether or not something is a meme.

that's like saying genes are only genes if they spread only through unforced matings.
>>
>>47357156
As long as the offence already exists, defence. The Bot'Kham can go out of their way to make enemies if they want, draw the hate from the big guys, take all the punches. Meanwhile the Skraacha will keep building and protecting what's theirs.

The guy that sticks his neck out too far gets it chopped off. The trogs that feel like dying as big damn heroes can join the Bot the ones that want to live and make a place for themselves will join the Skra.

Of course that's not to say the Skraacha don't fight, they just don't go out of their way to do it. If someone even looks at your turf you fuck them up hard. Let them all know what's yours and what happens if you don't respect that.

Whacking random nobodies doesn't do it. It just lets them know you're a mad dog, a priority #1 for a crackdown. Sure, the Bot can probably take it, they might even chase a good chunk of the assholes out and they'll take a good hard fucking to do it. They get fucked up, the outsiders get fucked up, the Skra move in and take what's left.
>>
hook me up with some dragon pussy
>>
File: letterbox.jpg (115 KB, 800x555) Image search: [Google]
letterbox.jpg
115 KB, 800x555
>>47373535
>>
File: 1457229712513.jpg (337 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1457229712513.jpg
337 KB, 1920x1200
>>47373535
>>
File: Johnson.jpg (9 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Johnson.jpg
9 KB, 400x400
how many contacts do you guys usually take when creating a character? do you just check the boxes i.e. fixer, arms dealer, etc, etc. or do you generally tailor them towards your character.
>>
File: 1446935560963.jpg (191 KB, 743x1074) Image search: [Google]
1446935560963.jpg
191 KB, 743x1074
>>47374161
Tailor it to the character, and share the load with the party.

The group generally needs at least one real fixer and one street doc, minimum. Once that's sorted, you handle the specific needs of characters; the Awakened guy needs his talismonger, the rigger needs someone with access to vehicles, the street sam needs a guns & cyberware guy, etc. You can get a pretty good spread going, with everyone knowing someone of value who can get you shadow goods and services, and it leaves points for people to get the more fluffy contacts- a hookup at the Ork Rights Committee, a gang lieutenant, the owner of a boutique fashion outlet, etc.
>>
what is the best edition of shadow run to start off with?
>>
>>47374161
I prefer to go purely for what makes sense for my character's backstory, smugglers, ex-wives, etc. If it turns out that we're missing a useful contact staple, i.e. no gunrunner, that just makes for a twist on the campaign, or at the very least a session of making contact and earning the trust of someone useful.
>>
>>47374434
5 is a fucking atrocious mess of unapologetically bad editing, with no real errata in over a year and a line dev who clearly doesn't give a shit, but it's still the live edition for whatever amount that counts

i mean it works ok, certain things are just frustrating when it's clear no shits are given about making tables accurate

i'd say 4th Edition Anniversary version is the best tho, for everything but the matrix (inb4 3e grognard haters). 5th is the only ed that remotely makes the matrix reasonably playable imo
>>
>>47374443
>your GM makes you buy an ex-wife as a contact

Damn, that's cold. Does she get half the nuyen from each run too?
>>
>>47374510
not this anon, but there are extra rules by a former CGL freelancer that streamlines the matrix and makes it more like GitS Brainhacking. Search for "The Ends of the Matrix" by Frank Trollman
>>
>>47374652
Oh, Trollman; he's like the worst character on any medical show, the abrasive jackass who by rights should lose his job for constant abuse, but you can't help but listen because sometimes he's just right.
>>
>>47374652
>>47374722
Are his technomancer rules any good?
>>
>>47374830
Better than the 5e ones. *rimshot*
Still can't wait for that pdf.
>>
File: Posting an Opinion.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Posting an Opinion.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>47374510
4e has some serious problems with stuff like unlimited dice pools (that is, not having limits like 5e), stupidly low drain on direct damage spells, and I think the Priority/Sum-to-10 is way better than build points.

5e is not perfect, but if you can get around the editing mistakes it's a much smoother system.
>>
>>47358274
Wait, what ? CDF can infect you through gore ?
>>
>>47374967
Yes. CFD gets into you through direct fluid contact with your person (if not through infected nanites in your cyberware) - There's a fluff story in Stolen Souls about a headcase who bleeds all over someone's boots so that, when they take off their shoes that night, the guy will be infected.
>>
>>47375020
Well shit, my character once got his face full of exploded CFD head.

Guess i shouldn't bond to much with him now.
>>
>>47375067
At least you can get some roleplaying out of the resulting MPD before leaving the character either wholly or partially acting in a completely different manner.
>>
File: Superbook v9.5.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Superbook v9.5.pdf
1 B, 486x500
While talking about editions and editing, I figure I'll let people know about this. It's a 5e Superbook that Reddit is working on. It basically strips out the fluff and puts the rules in a logical format, from chargen to statblocks for spirits and matrix combat rules.

It's no good without the actual books and their detailed explanations, but if you need a reference guide at the table I know of nothing better. It's certainly better than trying to pick through the SR5 Core.
>>
>>47375128
I should mention, the actual rules mechanics are more or less done. The missing stuff is gear.
>>
>>47375102
That's true, and i didn't had any MPD till now, im curious about how my GM will play it.
>>
Aside from the three favorite vices of Sex, Drugs and Music. What does your runner do on their downtime? A runner cannot run 24/7 without start becoming a physical and mental wreck, even a face starts to get a bit ugly for operating in high stress social environments. What does your runner do to remind themselves civilization or a normal life exists.
>>
File: HMG.jpg (325 KB, 1600x1236) Image search: [Google]
HMG.jpg
325 KB, 1600x1236
>>47375234
He hangs out with his ganger buddies, throwing rocks at drones and shooting the shit.

And he watches Spanish soap operas on his cybereyes, from the extensive collection on his commlink. Tell anyone and you're dead
>>
>>47375234
My character films documentaries about sprawl wildlife on his downtime. Using magic, he shadows rare and dangerous critters to teach a growing fandom about the beauty of the unseen life around them. Good for keeping in shape as a bonus.
>>
>>47375234
My character produces a small time matrix show about cooking with toxins (and their antidotes), drugs, and other chemicals. Follow the instructions exactly (Including in what order to eat/drink certain parts of the meal) and you get physical and emotional ups and downs as the drugs take effect and are cancelled out. Fail to follow the instructions and you better be ready to call your health provider's poison helpline.
>>
>>47375234
Fixes up old cars from the late 1900s/early 2000s for fun. The fact that they are owned by the local mafia don and he would probably get messed up something fierce if he inadvertently breaks them does not change the fact he gets enjoyment out of it.
>>
>>47375234
Eats real food and street races her yerzed out Renault-Fiat FunOne.
>>
>>47363643
There's a Cyber-Centaur front and center in the Run Faster cover. Where there's a will to run the shadows, there's a way.
>>
>>47375657
thats a human with a limnal body from chrome flesh
>>
>>47374161
At most, a Fixer and I handwave literally everything away with them. Otherwise I just leave it blank because I never get GMs who care about contacts.
>>
>>47374161
I tend to make high-Charisma ones, so generally speaking the starting lineup is about three to four high-loyalty suppliers and perhaps a gang or somesuch for support.
>>
File: Run Faster Cover.png (1 MB, 769x1027) Image search: [Google]
Run Faster Cover.png
1 MB, 769x1027
>>47375678
DO you honestly think this a liminal body? It's clearly a real centaur with cyberware fetlocks (maybe some kind of skimmer, maybe just cool glowing accents and chrome).
>>
>>47375785
Of course it is, the fucking race traitor also got some geneware for the furry bits.
>>
>>47375234
She puts on a new face and body (loli infiltrator with body- and face sculpting) and goes around town looking for new books to read (paperback), visits her sister and practices drawing and cooking.
>>
>>47375234
My runners are all psychos, so they don't do anything besides go on killing sprees in the barrens for fun.
>>
File: image.gif (445 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
445 KB, 500x400
>>47375234
Besides those three?
uh
ummm
UUUUUUUUUUHHHHHH
>>
>>47376723
>Ares SG550
This is not okay.
>>
>>47375415
>>47375486
>>47375505
>>47375415

My street sam is an actual yogi. The kind that cortorts himself like a pretzel. Hell he splurge on those weird veggie juices after a yoga session saying it cleanses his essence
>>
>>47376786
God damn it, /k/.
It's a good looking rifle. You wanna find me a canon assault rifle design that doesn't look like hot horse ejaculate?
>>
File: blueswallow.jpg (829 KB, 3000x1084) Image search: [Google]
blueswallow.jpg
829 KB, 3000x1084
>>47375234
Working out, maintaining a clean living space, maintaining equipment, reading for pleasure/skill improvement, maintaining relationships with contacts, expanding a contact network, securing resources, the occasional routine checkup on safehouses, betting on fantasy urban brawl leagues, locksport, looking for "volunteer" opportunities
>>
File: Run & Gun Poster.jpg (99 KB, 1000x288) Image search: [Google]
Run & Gun Poster.jpg
99 KB, 1000x288
>>47376977
Any of these strike your fancy?
>>
>>47377143
I really like the Onotari JP-K50, the SA Nemesis, and the AK-98
>>
>>47377143
There are a few that look pretty good, but I also needed something at an angled perspective, and something that would appear on civilian trid commercials.
>>
>>47375234
Surprisingly feminine hobbies, considering she's a chromed-up ex-military street sam with a typically masculine running persona; cooking, flower arranging, browsing the Matrix for a puppy to adopt. Occasionally sitting up at 2 AM with a pistol and a bottle of tequila, staring at her cyber hands, before putting the gun away and crying herself to sleep.
>>
File: 1463867600596.jpg (13 KB, 236x402) Image search: [Google]
1463867600596.jpg
13 KB, 236x402
>>47377230
Save it! It's all yours, my friend.
>>
File: Google Guns.jpg (923 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Google Guns.jpg
923 KB, 1920x1080
>>47377353
>something that would appear on civilian trid commercials

You're already hawking an assault rifle. So long as it's not F, what's the difference?
>>
>>47377422
>So long as it's not F, what's the difference?
Dig up a copy of Sprawl Sites. Some people at least nod to established laws and levels of enforcement.
>>
What's the best Totem for a shaman that used to be a history PhD?
>>
>>47377831
Snek or Oracle.
>>
What sort of information should the players be able to get off the matrix without a check?
>>
>>47378956
Even general and public knowledge is going to take a simple computer + intuition[data processing] and take a base time of 1 minute
>>
File: y1hkdSE.png (4 MB, 1448x2167) Image search: [Google]
y1hkdSE.png
4 MB, 1448x2167
Why should I learn to play Shadowrun instead of some other game?
>>
>>47379747
You like rolling a stupid big amount of dice? You want to be a troll with a chainsaw and bulletproof skin?
>>
>>47379747
because you hate yourself and deep down know that you deserve to suffer for your sins past and future
>>
>>47379099
Using that as anything other than a way to determine how long it takes to pull up the information is pretty pointless unless your GM is a cunt and says you can't keep searching.
>>
In the sixth world we see "Soythis" and "Soythat", but where is it actually grown? Are there entire levels in arcs dedicated to growing the soy used to feed its denizens or something like that?
>>
>>47379807
Yeah but time is going to stack every time you fail.

I see no reason why you can't use device rating to meet threshold if you really want to skip rolling.
>>
File: Street shaman with a shotgun.jpg (538 KB, 1408x1058) Image search: [Google]
Street shaman with a shotgun.jpg
538 KB, 1408x1058
>>47379747
interesting setting and a love of trenchcoats?
>>
>>47379821
I'm pretty sure it's actually synth-soy. Maybe, depending on the quality of it all.
>>
>>47379892
What's synth soy made out of?

Please don't tell me its people.
>>
>>47379934
Fuck if I know.

I'd bet bugs. They're incredibly efficient in terms of protein per pound vs food put int. Like, a pound of food into crickets or something produces like .8 lbs of metahumna edible protein.
>>
>>47379892
>>47379934

I'm fairly sure Shadowrun doesn't actually have "synth-soy" since Soy is so easy to mass produce farm anyway. If it did though then it's probably some variation of kelp or seaweed based product.
>>
>>47377422
A rifle. Not necessarily select fire.
>>
File: 1365659209600.jpg (306 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1365659209600.jpg
306 KB, 1000x1200
Would you run with Chen? She has an FAL and two tails.
>>
>>47380034
And by FAL I clearly mean G3.
Selected the picture before checking the rifle.
>>
>>47379747
Customization. It's so open ended you can make any kind of character you want, in any kind of world you want. It's a post-apocalypse dystopian future sci fi fantasy heist game and you can mix and match any of those things and never run into the stuff you don't like if you want.

The adventures are super easy to make too. Meet, legwork, throw in set pieces, add dice pools, getaway and payment.
>>
>>47380259

Excuse me, but adventures are way harder to make in shadowrun than for example D&D. There are way more variables with all the contacts, unexpected but sound plans, consequences from past runs, negative qualities of your players, big brother interest, et cetera. Shadowrun is a very decent system, but being simple is not one of its perks.
>>
>>47380005
I thought the whole point of growing whatever GM mutant soy the sixth world has, was that it's hardy, and can survive the shithole corporations have made of the world.
>>
>want to run a SNATCHER plotline
>problem is, CFD exists, fills the same slot, and is more lame than SNATCHER in every possible way

Do you think anyone would mind if I just 100% replaced CFD with SNATCHERs?
>>
>>47380408

It's way harder to railroad in Shadowrun, sure. But if you're the kind of GM who just builds a living world and lets your players loose, it's incredible.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 87

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.