[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are you doing with your life right now, /r9k/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 14
I'm busy learning HTML and CSS ...

This means I'm not a NEET, right?
>>
>>28910257
what OS is that? and what kind of desktop, gnome3?
>>
File: CjpinHRXIAEF_rj.jpg (34 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
CjpinHRXIAEF_rj.jpg
34 KB, 500x375
>>28910643
Ubuntu GNOME. 16.04. I don't understand why people are angry about GDM3--it's really nice. I prefer it over Cinnamon and Light, even.
>>
File: Cjp5OO0UUAABeGI.jpg (23 KB, 169x408) Image search: [Google]
Cjp5OO0UUAABeGI.jpg
23 KB, 169x408
This is such an easy topic to write about I'm quite surprised no one's contributing. I just wanted some company while I study. Oh well.
>>
>>28910257
no education means you're not going to uni or college to get certified. It doesn't mean you can't study or learn new things. Most NEETS were, are the greatest minds the world has ever seen
>>
I wanted to write a post telling you to learn something actually useful, then I remembered webdev is popular and now I want to die.
>>
>>28910916
Probably because you're too young to remember GNOME or GNOME2.
>>
>>28911199
Not him but to add on this, specially web design oriented towards smartphones is really important right now.
Downloading apps is outdated and now most websites need a browser-friendly design.
>>
>>28910257
Learning to draw and do digital painting
>>
>>28911269
I still remember the days when CSS didn't exist, layouting was done with tables, styling was embedded in HTML attributes and if you wanted to make round corners or shadows you had to use images.
>>
>>28910257
OP you should be learning some hipster shit like angularjs or whatever is in with the faggots these days and then freelance (read:mash some wordpress parts together and sell it)

As for me I've been trying out Russian the past few days and it's pretty ok so far
>>
File: out2.webm (2 MB, 846x644) Image search: [Google]
out2.webm
2 MB, 846x644
I'm taking antidepressants and making my own games.

But the ADHD is hard to deal with. I jump ship all the time.

I'm learning a lot though.
>>
File: Cjp6wrkUkAU5TYj.jpg:large.jpg (133 KB, 1024x482) Image search: [Google]
Cjp6wrkUkAU5TYj.jpg:large.jpg
133 KB, 1024x482
>>28911199
>>28911269
Ya, I'm learning HMTL, CSS and Javascript.

>>28911235
I'm turning 30 next year, actually.

I still have nothing to show for it. My real skills, writing and editing, aren't valued anymore and are almost entirely about who you know anyway, so I have to figure out something else. Hence the coding.

I'm never going to kill myself but I'd hate to give up on life.
>>
>>28910916
>videogames are looking so realistic I couldn't tell it was a videogame at first.
Science has gone too far now.
I suppose it being a picture of a TV helps. But damn.
>>
File: CiMF_vuWwAApP_S.jpg (63 KB, 600x637) Image search: [Google]
CiMF_vuWwAApP_S.jpg
63 KB, 600x637
>>28911336
Digital painting is cool, good luck with that. I'm making a VN and I've been trying various techniques for images. I've settled for filtered photos copy-pasted together and edited where necessary.

>>28911418
I'm trying to figure something out, ya. I need to make money soon and get out of my mom's house. I refuse to be 30 and living with her.

Russian's pretty difficult as far as languages go. There are lots of different versions of words depending on ... stuff. Good luck with that.

>>28911419
Cool, dude. Looks like you're doing better at learning coding than I am.
>>
>>28911359
Pages taking more than 20 seconds to load because of all of the images.
Good times
>>
Currently just programming and watching anime. I am writing a library that, if completed, would be really helpful and used by a couple of people.
>>
>>28910257

A week off college. At nightshift at work and on a night wander. The trees and plants smell good and it's a nice warm night

Feels comfy
>>
>>28911418
Where do you start if you want to learn russian? I guess learning the alphabet should be a first step but im not sure
>>
>>28910257
I am studying physics. I got through my Bachelors somehow and even defended my shitty thesis, which I was afraid of since 1st semester.
I am in my 2nd Masters semester now and it is fucking terrifying. I still don't really know anyone, sit alone in lectures and all I hear from other students how they already work at the university, do internships, some even publish some shit.
I am way behind in my courses because I have no energy to study anymore.
I also started my drivers license but I can't imagine myself driving.
Tomorrow I have a lab and it's already 12am but I still didn't finish reading the preparation material for it.
>>
>>28911790
Are you going to be a wizard?
>>
>>28912046
I'm currently trying it out on the Duolingo app on android, but it's probably on PC too. Over on /t/ or in it's archive there should also be a language learning thread where you can torrent learning resource packs for most languages, for e.g. I did that with moonspeak.

The alphabet is really easy to figure out aside from the changing pronounciations and from the stuff I've seen so far the syntax isn't horrible. You should give it a try if you want, Anon.
>>
>>28911905
>coding
You will never get anywhere with that idea of what programming is. No offense. You just can't view it as writing code if you want to get anywhere.
What you're doing is changing data which represents things to get what results you want.
>>
>>28912000
Wish, is this a poem?
>>
>>28912251
I can smell the Lisp faggot in your breathe.
>>
>>28910257
Doing amazon mturk for money. Averaging $10/hour
>>
>>28912303
I'm a C/C++ programmer you nerd.

It's simply the truth of all computer programs. They have input and output. You take the input and create output. Code is just the tool you use to get there.
>>
>>28912347
>C/C++
>C
>/
>C++

pls get out
>>
>>28912412
>he's picky about using C vs C++
I'm not gonna constrain myself to C for arbitrary reasons.

But I write my code as if it were C pretty much.
>>
taking a class at a community college. I failed out of a real school and am now doing this so that maybe I'll eventually be able to transfer into a state school and finish up a real degree. I may have to start up freelance app/web dev again if my parents threaten to kick me out again but I don't want to do that because I hate it.
>>
>>28912459
That's what I meant, I could read it in your "C/C++", I hope your kind dies, C and C++ are today completely unrelated programming languages.

Leave this place at once heathen.
>>
>>28912459

then you're writing c++ wrong, retard
>>
>>28911419
I want to play that
>>
>>28912251

'Coding' does not even remotely mean now what it meant even 4 years ago. Learn to deal with it like the rest of us have.
>>
File: kh.png (12 KB, 372x178) Image search: [Google]
kh.png
12 KB, 372x178
>>28910257
learning math from scratch with khan academy desu.

I wanted to become a programmer but my hs grades were too shitty.

After I'm done a few more missions I'm gonna take some online courses to better my grades so I can apply to uni for next winter. Can't apply as a mature student since I'm 19 and you need to be 21 years old. (fucking canada)

Anyways this is pretty fun and I was just a retard in highschool.
>>
>>28910257
Learning programming (C++, C#, Python) and also learning to draw.
I definitely care about the drawing more than the programming, but the programming certainly comes easier.
>>
File: 1428519292160.jpg (40 KB, 452x363) Image search: [Google]
1428519292160.jpg
40 KB, 452x363
>>28910257
I'm in the process of trying to unfuck my shit.

Graduated with an unmarketable degree because I was too much of an ADHD and aspergersfag to learn to into planning. Just couldn't do it for the life of me, passed with shit marks.

23 now, already feel fucked. Whatever, the plan is to not marry, not have kids and live alone. This leaves a lot of leftover time to schedule my life and resolve my problems.

I'm not cut out for the normalfag lifestyle, so I'm going to make my own as satisfactory as possible.
>>
>>28912515
So far it's pretty much just a copy of https://github.com/ecbambrick/ThrustVector (except no damage, score and missile lifetime)
so you could play that. Imo that game has a missile spawn count that's far too low.
But I'm aiming to extend it significantly. I've mainly been working on systems to get that going. Missile types and objective code that's half implemented mostly. Also aim to maybe have special effects you can use like gravity wells.

Right now you can run in circles and pretty much never get hit. I've thought of ways of making that dangerous but most of those ideas aren't all that great. They tend to impact the other situations in the game too much when I just want a solution for that one problem.

>>28912512
No. C++ is wrong, I'm writing C++ right.
I'd rather not use C++ but the problem is that C doesn't have the libraries I want and there's no better options for me really.
>>
just set up new laptop to my liking
>>
who where /write save game editors/?
>>
>>28912600
you're like a failed normie
you suck at being normal and you suck at being a neet, so you're just stuck in the middle
>>
>>28912327
lucky. i got rejected since canadafag.
>>
>>28912650
Me too! What laptop did you get? What did you install?

I got a Dell Precision 5510 and installed exherbo on it.

Some of the hardware is so new it doesn't work on released stuff, like the M.2 SSD wasn't recognized by the bootloader, had to use the git version.
>>
File: newlifeplan.png (27 KB, 427x224) Image search: [Google]
newlifeplan.png
27 KB, 427x224
>>28912678
Yeah, pretty much. That's why I have to sort this shit out otherwise I default to NEET habits.

>tfw i have to actually construct a plan for being a normie in the longterm

Can't NEET it up forever, sadly.
>>
I'm taking Adult English classes to improve my reading and writing skills. I also doing some short course in theater and improv.
>>
At present I work for a Hi Tech Crime Unit for the police in the UK. I have to deal with a lot of uncomfortable shit, but I enjoy the challenges it brings, such as bypassing defendants passwords.

Only recently one of these cunts got several years in prison (hopefully to Huntley's standards) which makes me glad I put in the effort to fuck them over
>>
>>28912622
>>C++ is wrong, I'm writing C++ right.

what the fuck are you even on about

just use a different language if you don't like c++. c is some godawful shit that nobody should have to use nowadays (not that c++ is much better).
>>
>>28912805
how does one get a cool job like that.
>>
>>28912813
He's a retard mimicking Torvalds, everything he said so far has come out of Torvalds' mouth before.

Except he would just rewrite the libraries instead of using C++ like it was C with classes.
>>
I've been working on art a lot lately. I even got a job painting a mural in a shop. I'm also taking a class on web design. Until recently I was doing nothing besides being in and out of a psychiatric ward. Things are going slightly better now, at least.
>>
I don't know what the argument ITT is right now, but:

>Dealing with micro controllers or embedded systems?
Use C

>Dealing with literally anything else on your computer?
Use C++

This is the correct rules 99.9% of the time.
>>
>>28912805
>Hi Tech Crime Unit
>uncomfortable shit
are you the guy who sorts through CP collections when the cops seize a computer?
>>
>>28912919

C has its uses in a few places other than embedded stuff still, they're just very very niche.

I don't agree that C++ should be used for anything except games these days. There's plenty of other languages that fill the same gap but without all the cruft and retarded design decisions. You certainly won't find much C++ being done in the majority of places you'll want to work.
>>
>>28912565
what do you use to learn ?
>>
>>28912813
Well I want some C-like. There's not many options. D/Go/Rust share some issues (D being the best option since there's C++ interfacing nd library support is important for me).

I'm not sure. I should probably try D but it feels a bit unnecessary. I haven't looked into it enough to convince myself.
>what the fuck are you even on about
I'm saying that writing C++ as intended is dumb. Avoiding most C++ features isn't a bad thing because most C++ features don't really help and only makes things more complex. So how am I writing C++ wrong if it's close to C? There's plenty of reasons to write C++ that has little to do with the language. Like libraries, as I mentioned.
>>28912893
Torvalds is far from the only person who dislikes C++. Also I use C++, not C like Torvalds.
>>28912994
>embedded stuff
I never really get this argument. It's not that C is appropriate for embedded stuff. It's just that there's a lot of languages that aren't appropriate for embedded stuff.
>>
>>28912855
My degree is digital forensics which helps..

>>28912941
through some, fortunately someone else has to grade that shit
>>
>>28912994
>You certainly won't find much C++ being done in the majority of places you'll want to work.

That's because it's cheaper and easier to teach everyone Java. Java is however, clunky in pretty much every aspect when compared to C++. For work places, Java is of course good for efficiency and productivity reasons. For a single, hobbyist project with no time constraint and isn't web-related, there is no reason to NOT use C++ for nearly every scenario. Use C if you're writing your own OS or something.
>>
>>28913037

Rust will probably be the better option before next year - it's come a long way recently. Once incremental compilation and the associated stuff that fixes are finalized, then it'll be worth using full time.
>>
File: 1443049252048.jpg (648 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1443049252048.jpg
648 KB, 1920x1080
>>28913005
I've been using a variety of books from the 'gentooman library' for programming as well as /g/ wiki recommendations:

https://g.sicp.me/books/
https://shodan.me/books/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Main_Page

Also if there's something I need to look up or whatever various websites like cplusplus.com or python.org

As for learning to draw, pretty much the same thing just on /ic/'s end. Lots of different art books like Loomis, Keys to Drawing, anatomy books and so on (it's in the sticky, also /ic/ has art book threads constantly with lots of resources in those), plus the wisdom: "draw a lot".

4chan is a surprisingly good resource portal.
>>
>C++ fags btfo
https://youtu.be/rX0ItVEVjHc?t=5029
>>
Being in education means you have responsibilities. (Deadlines, grades, exams, graduation) etc

Studying by yourself at home is not the same.
>>
>>28913037
c and c++ are not as close as you seem to believe they are. read up on how to write proper c++ and you'll find that it's a completely different ballgame to pure c. if you're ignoring most of c++'s features and writing c-style c++, while abusing other people's properly written libraries, then you may as well just use another language, since it's obvious that you don't have a clue.

>>28913044
java's better since 1.8 but it still has a bunch of issues. it has less issues than c++ if you're not trying to create games though. that's why it's easier to use/learn

learning/using c++ is perfectly fine, but i personally wouldn't recommend it for general use over something like python for doing random crap on the fly.

games programming is a whole other ballgame - i've not done much so i can't really give much of an opinion there, though
>>
>>28913124
thank you very much kind gentleman
>>
ITT: people not realizing that it's not the language but the knowledge that matters.
Just pick a fucking language with a lot of documentation and start doing shit, the people arguing about what language is "the best" are probably just jumping from language to language without actually mastering anything.
>>
File: 2737177909_45ef491a9f_b.jpg (417 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
2737177909_45ef491a9f_b.jpg
417 KB, 1024x768
>>28913305
You're welcome, learn well
>>
>>28913306
Nobody is arguing about what language is best, we're arguing that the way the retard is using C++ is retarded and that grouping C with C++ is retarded.
>>
>>28913262
>"proper c++"
Yeah. My problem is that proper C++ is problematic. I don't use it because I like the language features C++ introduces. I use it for other reasons
>C and C++ are different
Yes. But they overlap in many areas.
>abusing peoples 'properly' written libraries
Poorly written rather. If the API requires extensive use of C++ features I'd probably avoid the library entirely unless it's demonstrably among the best out there. It's not that I don't know how to write C++ code or how to write 'proper' C++ code.

You shouldn't use a language feature just because it'd be 'proper'. It's supposed to offer you something. And in an extreme number of cases where you could apply a C++ feature you don't really gain much of anything from it. Unless you go far down the road of template metaprogramming (in which case you should really find a real metaprogramming library anyway because of all the nasty problems you have with templates) you really don't gain much from using most C++ features. C++ 14 is looking better than earlier iterations on the language imo. But it's been a long road to get there mind you.
>use another language
Sure if there were good options. I haven't looked into it enough. As mentioned, D is a contender I'd imagine. But there's not many good options from what I've seen.
>>28913306
I'd argue I realize that. This other guy thinks that he's supposed to use garbage just for the sake of it though. Because it's 'proper C++'.
>>
>>28913461
>D
>C++ contender
>D has a forced GC unless you want to not be able to use any library ever, standard library included

You seriously don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>28912600
>unmarketable degree

Same here, what degree? I was an art major, myself. Regret it all the time.
>>
>>28913529
Yeah I don't know much at all about D. As mentioned multiple times already (you illiterate retard).
But I don't use the C standard library so why would I need the D standard library?
Also I'm presuming that the C++ interfacing would enable you to use non-GC libraries.
It seems pretty decent. but again.
IT'S MY SPECULATION BASED ON MY LIMITED KNOWLEDGE OF THE D LANGUAGE.
You illiterate retard.

I don't see how D could possibly make C++ interface code GC'd magically. So your assessment makes it entirely obvious you don't know what the fuck you're talking about because you're speaking in absolutes about shit that (to my knowledge) doesn't even work.

I hate it when morons get out-argued and then proceed to pick on some small thing they think they can score points on like they even have to reply. Just leave the discussion you loser.
>>
>>28910916
Because Gnome 3 is basically a desktop designed for both desktops and tablets that somehow manages to include the worst of both worlds and suck everywhere. Also, the Gnome dev team is a bunch of narcissistic fuckwits from the same group that brought us Lennart Poettering, or at least that's the impression their PR efforts give off.

...oh, you said GDM3. Um, in that case I have no complaint.
>>
>>28913687
>uses C++ in the most retarded way possible to use C and C++ libraries
>would use D in the most retarded way possible to use C++ libraries

Anon, you're truly retarded, I'm sorry, there's no hope for you.

I hope I'll never get to see any of your code, it must be made of nightmares.
>>
File: 1430152570376.jpg (25 KB, 257x307) Image search: [Google]
1430152570376.jpg
25 KB, 257x307
>>28913633
English.

On the bright side I can market myself as a freelance writer even though it pays shit so JUST FUCK MY FUTURE UP.

But fuck it, I was never cut out to be a full normalfag.
>>
>>28910257
do yourself a favour and install one of the arc themes along with the corresponding firefox theme
>>
>>28913529
Also even within the D only context it doesn't make much sense to me how that's an argument.
Why would you use crappy libraries that use the GC feature? That makes no sense. And honestly if you're using a library by some people who would use GC then maybe that's better than them writing crappy non-GC'd code? I dunno. I don't have much experience interfacing with code that uses GC.
>>28913739
>retarded
Anon so you're saying, again, we should be using language features simply because they're there?
>I hope i never bla bla I'm retarded I feel the need to insult you
Ok. That's fine. Whatever helps you sleep at night. I'd feel enormous guilt towards my users if I used language features simply to stroke my ego.

I don't get what kind of person could rationalize such arbitrary rules for themselves. Like, if you had two different structs to define. A vec3 and a vec2. Would you make that a template? I would not. I'd copy the damn code because it's retarded to use a template. All it does is slow down my compile time and create an ugly (personal preference to be fair) syntax for my vector types.

What gain is there? None. None whatsoever.
>>
>>28910257
Trying to learn Spanish, I hope to be at least semi-fluent by October next year when I plan to go back to Spain
>>
>>28913848
Should have continued to say that there's some limit where using templates would start making sense. But this arbitrary application of language features is problematic in any case.

Which is clearly what you're arguing for. "Proper" C++.
>>
>>28913772
Yeah, english is the top major for people with no direction and no idea what they want to do. Other than the few who are actually passionate about writing and literature, of course, although they are a growing minority.
>>
>>28913848
The GC in D is not a "feature", it's an intrinsic part of the language, you can annotate some functions as `nogc` and they get infinite constraints that make them unable to use anything that isn't `nogc`.

The same goes with the `pure` annotation, D is a piece of shit, if you know C# both work like the `async` annotation, you get functions that cannot work with eachothers.

No, I'm saying that you don't even know what those C++ "features" are, and thus you cannot make the proper decisions on what to use and not to use. I bet your "C++" code is filled with raw pointers when you should instead be using RAII properly and `std::unique_ptr` or `std::shared_ptr`.

With `vec3` and `vec2` are we talking linear algebra? Because yes, they should be templates, and then you could use template expressions to make the whole code magnitudes faster (at runtime) than your crappy copypaste mongering; check eigen to know what I'm talking about.

And if you do not see the advantage in generics, nothing can save you.
>>
File: 1435634779891.jpg (204 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1435634779891.jpg
204 KB, 640x480
>>28914060
>Yeah, english is the top major for people with no direction and no idea what they want to do.

I mean, I would love to be able to write and get by, but that would involve being a poorfag and living in a studio apt alone for the remainder of my days.

Which, honestly, I don't really mind.
>>
>>28913461
>>Wahhhhhhh templates are baaaaad.

Holy shit why are you even using C++. Let alone even C.
>>
File: 1464206937034.png (63 KB, 1321x1681) Image search: [Google]
1464206937034.png
63 KB, 1321x1681
>>28914138

>but that would involve being a poorfag and living in a studio apt alone for the remainder of my days.

Which, honestly, I don't really mind.

I've come to not mind as well. I'm not having kids or getting married. With that I'm mostly free from cultural norms. I find the idea of being in my own corner making art alone in my studio apartment for the rest of my days extremely comfy.
>>
>>28914104
>you should instead be using RAII properly
Shit you said the RAII word. Why did you have to say the RAII word?
What's even a resource anon? Why do you start throwing garbage ideas about what programs are supposed to be anon?
Do you expect me to take you seriously when you advocate RAII? There's no serious programmer who considers RAII a sane approach. And really. When do you 'acquire' a resource anyway? I sincerely hope you're not allocating with new all over your code.

>Because yes, they should be templates, and then you could use template expressions to make the whole code magnitudes faster
How? How could a method that's generated at compile time using limited information be more efficient than writing the code yourself? Are you saying you're a bad programmer and you'd just fuck it up? Please I genuinely want to hear why you think a templetized function could work more efficiently than a non-templetized function. It's like you don't even know what templates are. There's some compiletime computing you can do but that's stuff you'd do in the copy paste version. I genuinely hope you're not retarded enough to interpret my copy paste statement as literal copy state. If you have a vector it has a different amount of elements. A Vector2 doesn't have a Z component for instance. A straight up copy from a Vector3 wouldn't work.
>are we talking linear algebra?
We're talking about a vector struct type. Are y VecX is the common way of writing vector types in tons of codebases. How new would you have to be to let this slide past you?
>>28914169
They're not good enough is the problem. If they were I'd have no problem with them. They're too limited to be true meta-programming (at least truly convenient meta-programming). And their implementation in the language makes them painfully slow, produce extremely poor error messages and are a mess to deal with for any serious use aside from these trivial math class examples.
>>
>>28914169
>>28914104
I also find it incredibly funny how i reply to your posts with argument and we just keep jumping into new unexplored territory because you can't even answer.

Like, there hasn't been an argument for why you'd use language features arbitrarily. The entire D GC discussion was abandoned because (at least one of) you guys are retarded.

I'm not gonna keep having this lecture. Go read what good programmers argue. Don't listen to language designers as if they know how code should be written. They don't write code.
>>
>>28914312
AKA: i read wikipedia's RAII article and didnt get it. do you even understand what RAII is? let alone even how to implement it?

also 'templates aren't powerful enough' is a goddamned lie.

stop talking out your ass and learn how to actually use c++. in fact, perhaps you should learn some programming fundamentals before trying to argue about shit you dont understand
>>
>>28914312
Forgot to mention how RAII implies you're gonna have exceptions in your code.
And that's just a big no-no.
>>
>>28914312
It's simple, a resource is acquired when it's created or moved, when there's no owner anymore then it's dropped.

A resource is anything, it's a general concept, it can be a file, a database connection, a memory allocation, your mother.

Allocating with new would go against what I said earlier against raw pointers. And to answer, proper RAII uses objects allocated on the stack most of the time, and if you need pointers `std::unique_ptr` or `std::shared_ptr` or the other variants of managed pointers.

Read up on template expressions and you'll see what I mean, as I said, check eigen.

Because if we're not talking linear algebra then we're talking about another kind of vector, you know, like `std::vector`.

How the hell would I know what your retarded self could come up with without having that context?

And templates are more powerful than you might understand, they're turing complete, and I've done some dark magic myself in it, heck, some guy implemented a type safe X86 assembler with C++ templates that assembles to executable binary at compile time.
>>
>>28914351
We keep jumping around because you say roughly 3-4 more retarded statements every time you post. I'm done now though. Enjoy your delusions.
>>
Trying to save up 800 a month

Scared the coming economic crash is gonna make this a waste of time.
>>
>>28914454
lmao i didmt notice that until you just mentioned it but him talking about allocating with new totally confirms your theory about him not using smart pointers. dude is an idiot
>>
>>28914427
>>28914454
>They're actually explaining RAII
I know what RAII is obviously.. I'm being super sarcastic about how RAII is retarded. If you dig into it you should be able to see that all it is is a method for bad programmers to be able to have a little bit of safety for when they (inevitably) fuck up. It's just another example of a set of features created for bad programmers. It reaches far away from the core problems you're trying to solve into territory where you have no real business being in the first place. Why not go to a language without these 'issues' if you're trying so hard to escape them? Having illegal state during some part of your program isn't a bad thing. It's a fact of life. Work to catch it if you're really clumsy. But don't do this hiding of the facts that you're doing with RAII.

It also implies you're using exceptions. Which .. No I'm not even gonna go into that. You should never use exceptions. I hope even the dumbest sack of bricks (you two, to be clear. You dumb sack of bricks) can agree on that.

>templates are turing complete
Yes, yes they are. But should your usage of a very basic and simple thing that's existed for a really long time now be considered "dark magic". No. That's a sign of how flawed it is. It's not that complicated in any other context.
You can write a meta programming library for yourself as a C program and it'd be leagues beyond templates in C++. I'm sure you can, because a baby could do it.
>>28914468
>I'm done
Ok nice answer to the few specific things I asked for retort on.
Glad you couldn't waste my time with bogus answers though.

I'm quite content to leave this discussion as well though. When I can talk to you people and have you abandon discussions out of fear when I haven't slept in 18 hours. Then maybe it's not the most productive use of my time to keep talking to you.
>>
>>28911359
Shit man, are you trying to give me PTSD?
>>
>>28910257
Im working on a website and playing overwatch!

>aka not being productive at all
>>
>>28914674
Should probably post this:
https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+Deep/C-and-Beyond-2012-Andrei-Alexandrescu-Systematic-Error-Handling-in-C
You're making me scared honestly. Exceptions are just awful. It's core to 'proper' C++ I'd imagine but seriously. Don't ever use them.
>>
>>28914674
>>look at me and all the shit i can type while saying approximately nothing. also you're all dumb

jesus christ, what are you, 12?
>>
>>28910257
TRYING TO START A HATE WAR >>28913996 MAKE MY WORK EASIER PLEASE
>>
>>28914810
I find my post to be filled with information anon. I find it strange you don't have the reading comprehension to agree.

I'm sure I could probably write it shorter in greentext but you never catch all the nuances like that.
>I know what RAII is
>I was being sarcastic
>RAII is a way of diverting attention from your data to your code in a way that 'catches errors' which weren't really there to begin with.
>RAII is closely connected to exceptions
>exceptions are bad
on templates
>templates are truing complete obviously
>an incredibly complicated way of doing metaprogramming if we go down that path though
>Practically anyone can write a better metaprogramming system than what templates are
Other poster
>Ok so you submit that you can't answer.
>That's fine. In fact I think you'd just have made stuff up and I'd rather not deal with what's just pretend-arguments
>I'm tired.
>I'm just wasting my time.

I do find it rather weird how you didn't consider that enough though. People have used far more words to say a lot less in the past.
>>
>>28914104
The plan is to get the GC out of the Phobos library, which Andrei has made a goal for this year
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.