[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Avoidant personality disorder: Signs and symptoms >Hypersensitivity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_0816-475x475.jpg (33 KB, 475x475) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0816-475x475.jpg
33 KB, 475x475
Avoidant personality disorder: Signs and symptoms

>Hypersensitivity to rejection/criticism
Check
>Self-imposed social isolation
Check
>Extreme shyness or anxiety in social situations, though the person feels a strong desire for close relationships
Check
>Avoids physical contact because it has been associated with an unpleasant or painful stimulus
Check
>Feelings of inadequacy
Check
>Severe low self-esteem
Check
>Self-loathing
Check
>Mistrust of others
Check
>Emotional distancing related to intimacy
Check
>Highly self-conscious
Check
>Self-critical about their problems relating to others
Check
>Problems in occupational functioning
Check
>Lonely self-perception, although others may find the relationship with them meaningful
Check
>Feeling inferior to others
Check
>In some extreme cases, agoraphobia
Check
>Uses fantasy as a form of escapism to interrupt painful thoughts
Check

Can I get disability for this in Australia? Jesus fucking christ, this is my first time looking up mental conditions and I match this AVPD shit to the T, literally 100% of everything here is me.
>>
shutup asshoole
>>
People with avoidant personality disorder are preoccupied with their own shortcomings and form relationships with others only if they believe they will not be rejected. Loss and rejection are so painful that these individuals will choose to be alone rather than risk trying to connect with others. They often view themselves with contempt,[3] while showing an increased inability to identify traits within themselves that are generally considered as positive within their societies.[6] Childhood emotional neglect - in particular, the rejection of a child by one or both parents - has been associated with an increased risk for the development of avoidant personality disorder, as well as rejection by peers.

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME
>>
>>28328529
>AVPD

Literally me
>>
Avoidant personality disorder (AvPD), also known as anxious personality disorder,[1] is a Cluster C personality disorder recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders handbook as afflicting persons who display a pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy and inferiority, extreme sensitivity to negative evaluation, and avoidance of social interaction despite a strong desire to be close to others.[2] Individuals with the disorder tend to describe themselves as uneasy, anxious, lonely, unwanted and isolated from others.[3]

People with avoidant personality disorder often consider themselves to be socially inept or personally unappealing and avoid social interaction for fear of being ridiculed, humiliated, rejected, or disliked. As the name suggests, the main coping mechanism of those with avoidant personality disorder is avoidance of feared stimuli.[1] Avoidant personality disorder is usually first noticed in early adulthood, with both childhood emotional neglect and peer group rejection being associated with an increased risk for its development.[4]
I actually feel really fucking angry that I've liked this for nearly 30 years without anyone fucking helping me.
>>
How do I fix this
I need help
Fuck
>>
American Psychiatric Association

The DSM-5 also has an Avoidant Personality Disorder diagnosis. It refers to a widespread pattern of inhibition around people, feeling inadequate and being very sensitive to negative evaluation. Symptoms begin by early adulthood and occur in a range of situations. Four of seven specific symptoms should be present, which are the following:[2]

>Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact, because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection
>Is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked
>Shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed
>Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations
>Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy
>Views self as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others
>Is unusually reluctant to take personal risk or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing
>>
nope im not shy
>>
World Health Organization

The World Health Organization's ICD-10 lists avoidant personality disorder as (F60.6) anxious (avoidant) personality disorder.[1] It is characterized by at least four of the following:[20]

>persistent and pervasive feelings of tension and apprehension;
>belief that one is socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others;
>excessive preoccupation with being criticized or rejected in social situations;
>unwillingness to become involved with people unless certain of being liked;
>restrictions in lifestyle because of need to have physical security;
>avoidance of social or occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact because of fear of criticism, disapproval, or rejection.

Associated features may include hypersensitivity to rejection and criticism.

It is a requirement of ICD-10 that a diagnosis of any specific personality disorder also satisfy a set of general personality disorder criteria.
>>
File: bd-old1.jpg (65 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
bd-old1.jpg
65 KB, 604x453
>tfw there's no cure
>>
>>28328529
>self-diagnosed
Fuck off

And you actually need some debilitating illness to get disability. One guy I met in the ward had crippling depression and anxiety that basically made him housebound but it took years for him to get on disability

Depression and anxiety are meme illnesses
>>
>>28328636
Hold on. Are you saying that you know me better than I know myself? And that all of these "Signs and Symptons" are 100% things I've been dealing with for nearly 30 fucking years are just all a coincidence despite being 100% fucking accurate, as if someone literally read my fucking mind?

FUCK YOU CUNT.
>>
>>28328659
If you're so confident, then go get diagnosed by a professional. You won't though, because you're too scared of finding out that there's no illness to blame your failures on and that you're just a loser.
>>
>>28328529
Not from Australia but I really doubt you can get disability for avoidant. Also you may want to get a actual diagnosis.
>>
File: Malk.jpg (224 KB, 537x525) Image search: [Google]
Malk.jpg
224 KB, 537x525
>>28328529
>Can I get disability for this in Australia? Jesus fucking christ, this is my first time looking up mental conditions and I match this AVPD shit to the T, literally 100% of everything here is me.

Worked for me.

I exhibit all those symptoms.

Though I don't know exactly what my psychiatrist told the centerlink people (Aspergers as well maybe), but getting on DSP was a cinch.

I think you really need a professional with certifications up the wazoo to shill for you for it to be easy though.

I have a mate with schizophrenia (multiple near suicide psychotic episodes) who had trouble getting on it due to past part time employment.

Life is still hell, but material needs are met. Turnball et al. are going to try to get non-potatos off the DSP if they get elected though, it was mentioned in their employment plan in the Budget.
>>
>>28328695
I haven't been to a doctor for a basic checkup or a dentist in more than 15 years because of this shit.

You fucking cunt.

It's all making sense to me now, how I've acted all my life, how I've felt around other people, how I've always retreated into isolation, how I've always felt like shit about myself regardless of the situation. How I've never come close to having any kind of relationship or friend let alone intimacy. How I avoid going to crowded places, how I avoided ever getting my drivers license, how I've avoided going out at all and shut myself in. How when forced into social situations that all I can think of is how to avoid not looking like a spastic, how I've never trusted anyone. My agoraphobia which I just thought was an isolated thing for my entire life explained.

My entire life has basically been explained to me through discovering this AVPD shit.

And then I have to deal with people like YOU who don't fucking know me or anything about me and think I am just fucking around and exaggerating.
>>
>>28328780
Fucking idiot. If you aren't a professional, you can't diagnose anything, it doesn't matter how much you think you know or how smart you think you are. You're just one more dipshit in a long line of dipshits diagnosing themselves with one thing or another.
>>
>>28328814

This post is HELLA FREAKIN EPIC

Capped for r/nihilism
>>
>>28328814
Even professionals are told not to self-diagnose.

Self-diagnosis is all fun and games for your tumblr blog but not to be serious

>>28328733
They just need to tick the box that says "this illness causes this person to possibly be unavailable to work for over 24 hours" or something like that.

I've never held a job and I've been in the ward twice now. But at the moment I'm just a case of some erratic behavior due to being a recluse with untreated depression and anxiety. I don't think I could get on disability
>>
>>28328814
Ok. If this was a specific cancer or something. I'd 100% goto the doctor right away, because of how literally every single detail of this condition fits me to the T.

It's not like I just googled "sore leg" and it says 500 different conditions and I just picked on out. I actually just went over a few dozen different mental conditions and none of them fit me at all, even if I had a few signs, it was only a few and I disregarded them, then I came across AvPD and LITERALLY every single fucking line of text is my life. It's almost as if someone has been secretly studying me, my actions, my thoughts, my life, my experiences...and then wrote them all down and slapped the AVPD tag on it.

I am not fucking joking or exaggerating when I say every single sign and symptom matches me 100% in FULL FORCE, not 50/50, not "a little bit", literally EVERY SINGLE ONE in 1000% FULL FUCKING FORCE. I cannot be anymore fucking clearer on this.

I am actually REALLY considering doing something about this but my mind is telling me to AVOID doing anything because of what I'll have to go through and I just want to avoid it and stay shut in. My mind is convincing me not to get this sorted out because it's not something FATAL. If it was a fatal kind of condition I'd probably be more willing to go do something about it.
>>
>>28328897
Then go get professionaly diagnosed. You assertions and all caps don't mean anything. Only a professional can give diagnoses, period.
>>
>>28328911
I'll start looking into it. I've got to build myself up to do this.

This is going to involve me

>informing my parents
>asking them to drive me to wherever
>having to talk to some professional people

I am going to look like such a fucking autist. I've been avoiding this day all my life, accepting the fact that there's something very fucking wrong with me has been the hardest shit I've had to deal with.
>>
>>28328964
Just do what I did: get drunk until you think you're going to die, cut your arms and face, then collapse in front of your parents so they call an ambulance then don't talk to anybody until they put you in the ward
>>
>>28328964
>not just driving yourself and paying out of pocket in cash so it doesn't show up on any insurance/bank records

wew kiddo you underage or something?
>>
>>28328987
Im scared of alcohol and Id be too terrified to harm myself, I never take risks. I've tried to keep myself as healthy as possible since avoidance of doctors (I haven't been to a doctor in 15+ years)

>>28329001
I don't have a drivers license, I never got one. I was shut in for over 10 years and dropped out of high-school and never left the house. Why would I have a drivers license?
>>
>>28329001
He has had problems with basic stuff to achieve autonomy due to inability/aversion to interact with people/get out of his comfort zone. He mentioned previously he doesn't have a license or learners iirc.
>>
>>28329027
This.

I am terrified to even get on the road.

>afraid of what the instructor will think
>not sure what the fuck id do if i got in an accident
>pretty sure Id fuck up and crash

When I get driven around by my parents (When they force me outside) I try to imagine myself driving and I just get lost and confused at what's going on in traffic and cant concentrate and it makes me feel like Id 100% fuck up if i ever tried driving.
>>
>>28329068
Whenever I drive I just want to drift into the oncoming traffic
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 640x480
>>28329083
>tfw no traffic barrier on the highway and those trees on the side of the road look really tempting at 80 mph
>>
File: 1433985750381.jpg (52 KB, 425x363) Image search: [Google]
1433985750381.jpg
52 KB, 425x363
>>28328529
See a professional OP within one disorder there are a million different ways it can show itself in a million different people and no one person is going to overcome it the same.

OSYCHOLOGISTS AND PSYCHIATRISTS ARE TRAINED PROFESSIONALS THERAPISTS ARE ANY ASSHOLE WITH GOOD INTENTIONS

I show a lot of those symptoms bad but never got any help because I appear so functional but it was all a sham that fell apart as soon as I was alone and could drink and cry myself to sleep playing videogames all day.

My advice as an individual who doesnt know you and isnt a professional is purely anecdotal. But I was helped greatly by living for something bigger than myself for a while. I pushed myself and didnt think about myself and accidently found confidence somewhere.

So go join the military, a school, a monastary, any hobby any career. For six months at least eat breathe live and shit that goal from the time you wake up to the time you fall asleep.

It doesnt matter if you want to get on the rodeo circuit or become the dota champion. Go get intense about something.

Now when Im in social situations I can fall back on my military bearing and not feel like Im putting on a mask. I really am that soldier.

Also Im still a weirdo but a weirdo with intensity, energy, and confidence is attractive. Nobody says I have serial killer eyes anymore they say I have an intense stare.
>>
>>28328529

>tfw all that relates to me
>tfw gf just broke up with me and im lonelier and sadder than ever

havent posted on r9k in a year yet here i am again
>>
well thank you Op i just realize i also have avoidant personality disorder. anybody care to fill me in on what this means
>>
>>28329366
get a haircut you loon
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.