[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to photography here. How can I process and print film at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (384 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
384 KB, 1024x768
New to photography here.

How can I process and print film at home on the cheap?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Width1024
Image Height768
>>
processing it is easy, but for printing you either need a good scanner+printer or you have to set up a darkroom.
>>
The same as everybody does I guess? Black and white isn't exactly rocket science. You can literally soak it in piss and it will turn into pictures.
>>
>>2754129
I was just thinking about starting this thred.

I have a bathroom with no windows. What else do I need? What can I skimp on? I am a poorfag.
>>
To develop film you need: developer (diafine is good for being cheap and lasts forever $34-50 depending on size), fix, and hypo for the chemistry. You need some way to store these chemicals, development tank & film reels, a changing bag, and somewhere to dry your film. If your bathroom can be made to be pitch black you can skip the changing bag.

Watch some videos to get an idea of what you need to do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOmSjPxgquM
>>
>>2754132
What are those slide scanners like. I mean the wolverine type ones. Do they do a decent job?
>>
>>2754152
>diafine
>cheap
>$34-50
The fuck fairyland do you live in? If you're paying more than $8/gallon you're getting cucked by the jews.
>pitch black
I don't get why people always say this. Reciprocity failure is your friend. It doesn't matter as long as you can't see your hands.
Do like Tichy and just throw it in a bucket of developer/coffee/piss outside at midnight during the new moon. Stir it with a stick every few minutes for best results. Really the difficult chemical isn't developer, it's fixer. They say you can buy pool cleaner that works but I never found it at any wal mart around here.
>>
>>2754341
When was the last time you bought diafine? The 90's?
>>
>>2754362
I don't buy diafine because I'm not a sucker. The $5 generic brand shit works just as well.
>>
>>2754159
No. they're not even scanners, they're just a cheap digital camera in a box. They tend to introduce a lot of noise, artifacts, and color shifts that aren't actually on the film. Most of them also lack the ability to save in any format except jpg, so you're limited if you want to make any adjustments.
If you already have a digital camera you'd be better off getting a cheap set of macro tubes and a 50mm prime lens and "scan" that way.

If you don't, you can find decent flatbed scanners for around the price of those wolverine scanners that will do a much better job. epson v500 on ebay is a good place to start and they go for under $100
>>
>>2750711
>>
I was lucky enough to score most of a darkroom on Craigslist for $300. Beseler 23CII color (which has been great for contrast on B&W), paper safes, easel, timers, drying racks, on and on and on. Had to buy a safelight, chemistry, and some other odds and ends, but the score even included some film and paper (still good). Lightproofed the windows/door of the shed well enough for B&W. Got in for under $500.

You're gonna have to pick the stuff up from somebody if you want a deal like that. eBay has a lot of pick-up only auctions that might be near you.
>>
File: 005006 copy.jpg (323 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
005006 copy.jpg
323 KB, 1000x666
>>2754428
Just bought an epson v370 and the IQ is pretty shit.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Windows)
Image Width1799
Image Height1199
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:01:27 12:29:36
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height666
>>
>>2754674
>epson v370

Same here, anon. Its negative scanning capabilities are complete shit.
>>
>>2754674
Never used the v370, but I have a v550 and it does a reasonable job. I'll never use it again for 35mm though after dslr scanning, but for 120 film it does pretty well and is easier than combining several images.
>>
File: DSC_0292 copy.jpg (241 KB, 1000x662) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0292 copy.jpg
241 KB, 1000x662
>>2754690
tbqh im not too satisfied with the dslr scan method but I might give it another go at this point. Can you show some v550 samples?
Pic related: dslr scan

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D5100
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.6
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern866
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)60 mm
Image Width4468
Image Height2959
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:01:27 14:18:11
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceFlash
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length40.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1000
Image Height662
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
<--- Epson V550
It's a decent scanner but not that special and it takes a hefty 8 minutes for six high res 35mm scans

OP: I wouldn't pay too much attention to people saying just to process and scan as printing set ups are very cheap with many people offloading enlargers as "junk from the attic."
>>
File: Epson-V370.jpg (993 KB, 1786x1275) Image search: [Google]
Epson-V370.jpg
993 KB, 1786x1275
Epson V370.
100% crop, unedited.

Can't get any sharper results with this piece of shit.
>>
Anybody has any good tutorials for scanning with a DSLR/Mirrorless? More specifically looking for a proper setup of how to hold the film, what to use etc.
>>
File: 1452943829296.jpg (455 KB, 2138x795) Image search: [Google]
1452943829296.jpg
455 KB, 2138x795
>>2754795

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelGR
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:10:28 08:08:19
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness1.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.30 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2138
Image Height795
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2754744
If you ever want to digitize your prints though, you'll need a scanner anyway. Might as well get a decent one that can scan film, too.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.