[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What tent or tarp is /out/ using? I've got a 6 moons design
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 227
Thread images: 57
What tent or tarp is /out/ using? I've got a 6 moons design lunar solo.
>>
Tentfags, unlike hammock homos and tarp tards get a tent then forget about it. We don't have to keep asking for affirmation or how to fix a shitty choice.

PS. Kill yourself you multicultural Nigger lover
>>
>>689230
>>
Once you know what you're doing with a tarp, the idea of packing around a tent seems insane. I got a 9x7 silnylon
>>
>>689240
I have a tarp and love it, but backpacking in Louisiana requires a bug net 75% of the year.
>>
>>689246
Where you go in lowsyana? Multi-day?
>>
>>689259
Wild Azalea, Lake Chicot and a few other places in Kisatchie. Very limited selection, but there are a few nice spots.
>>
>>689240
Once you figure out how to set up a tent you would never bother with something heavier. It does require the ability to read and five minutes of time so its not for everyone who camps in their imagination
>>
Just got passage 2 from REI, going to go a multi-day bike tour with it. Kinda heavy, might return it. When I get into backpacking I would love to use the same tent.
>>
I have an innovative, sturdy, and value conscious mountain smith mountain dome 2 person tent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjc7xHq3rL8
>>
nice little tent fits me and my dog pretty comfy
>>
>>689653
Please stop taking your barking shit machine into my woods.
>>
>>689659
Never, i hope you step in his shit some day.
>>
>>689653
>Groundcloth meme

You done got suckered faggit
>>
>>689653
Looks cool but make sure your ground cloth is all the way under your tent. If it rains the water will puddle up between your ground cloth and tent floor. You want the water to run underneath the ground cloth. And fuck that other guy, dogs are cool. I don't have one but enjoy hiking with other people who have dogs.
>>
>>689667
What?
>>
>>689668
Ground cloths work even better if you leave them home, or if you are not lazy you can wrap your dog up in one and throw him off a cliff
>>
>>689667
>>689668
>>689691
its a tarp i should have got the 10 x 12
>>
>>689664
meh, I'll just wipe the shit off my boot....

..... with the side of your face
>>
>>689223
1/4
Tentipi Safir 7 cp

11.000 grams.
For canoeing, cycling and general basecamping.
>>
>>689766
2/4
Hilleberg Nallo 4GT

3200 grams
4-man tent for hiking with tentless friends or my wife and kids.
>>
>>689692
Why do you put a tarp under your tent? That's more retarded than wearing underwear outside your pants
>>
Did everyone in this thread get fired from their jobs? Seriously, you guys are being major faggots over things that don't matter.
>>
>>689770
A floor saver helps keep little shit you initially miss when you're clearing off a spot to put your tent down from piercing the floor. I know I know you can just get down on your hands and knees and rub your face until the ground is perfectly clear but sometimes man, it's just easier that way. It would also be easier if you weren't such a faggot and knew what you were talking about. Running a floor saver with a tent isn't knew. You'd know that if went outside. Faggot.
>>
>>689766
3/4

Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid Silnylon

For solo hikes all year round
>>
File: fun_times.jpg (81 KB, 321x347) Image search: [Google]
fun_times.jpg
81 KB, 321x347
>>689223
>>
Some people bring ground sheets some people don't. You have to figure out what works for you and your kit. I use polycryo as a ground cloth for short trips since it weighs next to nothing and is super packable but plan on using tyvek for the PCT. Ground sheets are also great if the weather is nice and you want to coyboy. /out/ is the meanest fucking outdoor board I look at, but its refreshing to have conversations that aren't about cuben fiber.
>>
>>689785
Those are fucking sexy.
>>
>>689785
4/4

Hyperlite Mountain Gear 8.5'x8.5' flat tarp.

Solo hikes as long as not heavy snow.
>>
I have a kelty grand mesa 2 that has served me well for summer camping, I'm going to be heading out this weekend for my first stab at winter camping any recommendations for what to use between the tent and snow? I plan to pack the snow down and we will have sleeping pads in the tent.
>>
>>689534
Weird
>>
>>689240
I love in Shreveport and usually go in the Ozarks. Been looking for some spots here in the state. And usually don't need a bug net up there. But I sleep in a hammock unless there's rain in the forecast then I lug a heavy ass tent around
>>
ITT: a bunch of assholes that never go outside calling each other assholes that never go outside.... Oh and like 2 ppl that do actually go out but barely post... NVM, this is the standard census for all of /out/s threads
>>
>>689692
no big deal. just fold it so it's under your tent.
>>
>>689763
the edgiest thing I've heard all day
>>
>>689827
Nice, I'm the guy you responded to and I'm a bit of a hobo, I am from Canada but was in Louisiana a few summers ago...I slept in a baseball dugout in shreveport not too far from the downtown area for a week haha. A couple nights a black guy would come and smoke crack in the other dugout but nothing else happened. I ended up hitching to new orleans...good times
>>
>>689828

First gay here friendo?
>>
>>689653
Does your dog's name or your name begin w/ J?
>>
Just snagged one of these for $165.
I like that the reversible rain cover has the choice between "Im preparing for the enD of the world" bdu and casual "it's really just a tent" tan so I can choose how spergy I want to be.
>>
this arrives tomorrow
>>
>>690670
Whoops
>>
>>690673
I've got experience with the tops from the army and I wanted something that'll fit me and the wife while still being man portable so the familiarity and price did it for me. Not to mention I've always loved the vestibules to keep my shit dry and accessible.
>>
Bought this bad boy a while back. Bit tight but not bad.
>>
File: 418KJ3XK66L.jpg (17 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
418KJ3XK66L.jpg
17 KB, 500x357
>>690678
My bad
>>
File: MHW.350-2.jpg (229 KB, 480x416) Image search: [Google]
MHW.350-2.jpg
229 KB, 480x416
I've been using this for around 5 months now. Pretty hardcore piece of kit. Was pretty pricey though
>>
>>690679
the poles on mine broke the first time I set it up.
>>
>>689555
10/10 i kek'd
>>
File: IMG_5436.jpg (5 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5436.jpg
5 MB, 3264x2448
OP My tarp, Warbonnet Edge. Usually for the hammock set up, but I want to use it as a ground set up on My OT thru hike this April.
>>
>>690702
Seems to be a common complaint. Did you replace the tent entirely or get eureka to replace them?
>>
>>690734
>>690702
>>690679
I used to use that little bastard's precursor in Boy Scouts and hated every minute I was in it. Bought a Spitfire 1 last year as a solo tent, I recommend it if you don't want to break the bank. Under three pounds and more liveable than the Solitaire
>>
>>689795

what is the point in that shelter?
to reduce the suns rays by 12%?

that looks very light to carry, but ironically is so worthless that you're better off just not carrying it
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 640x360
I've been thinking about a poncho/shelter half, anyone have any experience with them?
>>
>>690764
That tarp is bigger than you think. You can pitch it lower if the weather gets shitty. I use a similar system when I fast pack short trips with expected fair weather. It's not really for keeping the sun off you.
>>
>>690778

>bigger than you think

yeah, not worried about size

are you sure you're not a fucking idiot?
think about that one
>>
this is the worst thread I've seen on /out/ for weeks

could someone clue me in, how does a tarp provide the kind of protection from the elements you need?

why the hate for ground cloths?

how do you pack a tent/tarp that is wet?
>>
>>689766
>11.000 grams.
you mean 11 kilos
what's up with counting everything in grams
>>
File: Tarp_tents.jpg (68 KB, 1000x200) Image search: [Google]
Tarp_tents.jpg
68 KB, 1000x200
>>690831
>how does a tarp provide the kind of protection from the elements you need?
It depends on just what kind of protection you need. People on here always assume other people are in the same conditions as them (because hey, this is 4chan.) This being said I've been under nothing but my tarp for every /out/ing for two years and have survived freezing temps and pouring rain. Sure it doesn't provide the same level of comfort as a tent but I'm just fine with it. A very low A-frame, diamond, closed diamond or forrester pitch, if pitched right, will resist most non-extreme conditions. Pic related (not mine): an open forrester pitch.

>why the hate for ground cloths?
They're optional weight and bulk, so unless you really need it you're better off without one.

>how do you pack a tent/tarp that is wet?
Same way you would a dry one. When it's no longer wet outside, hang it out to dry. If it never stops raining, too bad. At least you know why you bought your shelter.
>>
>>690888
checked, also thanks for the reply

you could see wind getting right under it and lifting it with some pretty serious force, or moisture slipping in under it like frost or dew

see what I can't understand is how sacrificing a fully enclosed tent could be worth the weight saved
you're really only loosing the floor of the tent, you still need pegs and a pole
>>
>>690891
>Wind getting right under it
This is the most serious concern, yes. But on most occasions a low diamond pitch will do fine if oriented correctly. Then you know, finding an appropriate sleeping spot is a concern for everyone ! Even with a tent, you still have to search for a good place to pitch it. All in all it's pretty much the same. Like I said they aren't appropriate for really extreme conditions (mostly regarding high winds) but apart from that a tarp will do you just fine.

This being said I know of experienced mountaineers who go camp right on a ridge in the Alps, with only tarps and poncho tents in 60+km/h winds and spring storms and they love the fuck out of it. Because it's also part of the fun! I mean the weight loss is significant (my full tarp setup with pegs, ridgeline and guy lines is only 800g and fits two, all for €55) but liking it a bit rougher is also why we go /out/, doesn't it? Maybe when I get older and what's left of my youth is behind me, then I'll get grouchier and go back to a full tent. Right now I live in a temperate climate without too much hardship, I don't care too much for comfort while /out/, I have a bitching view out of my tarp and I'm having the time of life.
>>
>>690897
that sounds great anon
my last tent was run over by a car, so I'm in need of a new one; maybe I'l get a tarp instead
>>
>>690904
Do try it out with a cheap one first. Some people can't stand sleeping under a tarp shelter, it isn't homelike enough for them and they feel miserable.You don't want to end up hating your trip and your gear.
>>
>>690761
More livable you're referring to size? I actually don't mind the size of it. It's assembly is a bit complex and strange but I like it other than that. If this one goes out on me like people complain it will I'll look in to yours though. Thanks.
>>
>>689828
Something happened somewhere, and shitlords came from everywhere and began sprinkling their faggotry all over. I blame anons on other boards telling people to get >>>/out/ -- but when the 0/10 trolls are in school or in bed it's still kinda nice here.
>>
>>690764
Point of it? Keeping the wind and rain off me (and my son)?

What else should be the point? I've used that tarp on the alpine plains of Norway in winter, during a full fucking rainstorm blowing at 115 km/h. Shit is cash. Also, 299grams including guylines is cool as fuck. Well, plus a bivy at 150 grams.

Whereas in summer, it works just as well. Pic related.
>>
>>690679
Theu actually had a recall on early models IIRC. The pole pockets were spaced to close together on one end of the tent. This resulted in the pole being slightly to long. People would force the pole in and snap it.
>>
ITT people afraid of tarps.
>>
File: doodoodududoodoodoodudu.jpg (9 KB, 320x210) Image search: [Google]
doodoodududoodoodoodudu.jpg
9 KB, 320x210
here mine btw: cant stop addicted to the shindig
>>
>>691085

norway in the winter?
sure bro

you can make a simple wall out of snow which will have the same exact effect at reducing windchill, which is the most such a worthless tarp can possibly do

there is literally no reason to carry a tarp asside from making the attach-points look all stretchy, like you really accomplished some official outdoors shit.
tarps dont provide anything real.

if you're out in the rain, trust me you want a real tent with a tub style floor.
if you're out in the snow, there is no fucking way in hell you should be using a tarp.

*sigh*
delusional tarp fags, everyone
>>
>>691143
>worthless tarp

Rage on butthurt faggot. Keep living the dream in your shill bathtub floored monstrosity.

And you know, bivies ARE basically bathtub floors, with dwr tops and netting head area. So, how is my tarp and bivy combo less good in inclement weather than your tent?
>>
>>689659
>my woods
good one faggot
>>
File: funtimes.jpg (995 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
funtimes.jpg
995 KB, 1920x1080
>>691085
>>
>>691298
Afraid of /out/ much?

But to be honest, no dangerous animals at all in Norway. One snake, "hoggorm", is "only a little" poisonous, though widespread, but keeps out of people's way as much as it can.
>>
>>691310
i think i would place bears as a more dangerous animal than the hugorm (in english: Chop worm) but ye ive hiked all around sweden and nothing to be afraid of
>>
>>690956
I'm 6'2" and fat and I can sit up in the spitfire which is a big plus for me and why I chose it
>>
File: WEIBROGD.jpg (87 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
WEIBROGD.jpg
87 KB, 900x900
>>691310
>Afraid of /out/ much?

I've got 2 tarp shelters, but when the creepy crawlies come out of hibernation I need something more. Our ticks and mosquitoes carry numerous blood-born pathogens. We have 2 spiders that can totally reck a person, fire ants, 3 species of pitvipers etc I like pulling the zipper closed when going to sleep in those conditions; a bivy sack and head net aren't nearly as comfortable.
>>
>>689768
is that your picture? i'd like to know where that's at
>>
>>691143
Didn't even know people could be this stupid
>>
>>691143
like I know this fag is mad, but he might have a point

using a tarp in the snow?
in heavy rain?

also to keep dirt out of your tent, and ants, spiders, snakes, things that will steal your food
what's wrong with a lightweight tent anyway?
>>
>>691094
How long ago was this? I had no idea.
>>
>>691448
lots of people use pyramids and tipis in the snow, which are basically cone shaped tarps. they shed snow very well.

yeah, bugs are a problem sometimes, but I've noticed that mosquitoes tend to gather around the top, rather than biting me for some reason. I use a small bug headnet over my sun hat if it's bad.

as far as food, I have to hang it on account of bears, so there's no difference for me vs tents.

it's a matter of the right tool for the job. if I don't think the ground will be boggy, then a tarp will give me more protected area per weight than a tent, while also providing better ventilation, freedom to cook inside, and more versatile setup.
>>
>>691473
might be a basic question but isn't the ground cold?

hot air rises, cold air sinks; isnt the cols air next to the ground roll in under the tarp and suck out all the heat?
>>
>>691243
Why don't you just use the bivvy?
>>
>>689827
>Shreveport yay!
>>
>>691475
Well, that's why you have a pad and a sleeping bag, and a lot of people use a bivvy too. A tent is a pretty inefficient way to keep warm air in for one person. If you've got like 5 people on the side of a mountain huddling together for warmth, then yeah, a tent will keep in some heat that a tarp would let go, but for one person not so much.
>>
>>690673
Fuck these niggers. Used them twice in the Marines and both times it was pissing rain and the entire tent was a fucking puddle of hate and discomfort. Then again Marine Corps shit is always ass, so I guess if it's new good on ya!
>>
>>691498
the tarp provides shelter for cooking/eating, changing clothes, social activities, drying out gear, wind protection and so on.

>>691475
the sleeping bag and bivy traps a lot of heat, and is the main way to stay warm. the great thing about tarps is that depending on how much ventilation, I can pitch different sides right against the ground to stop the wind and air loss, or raise them up to allow for more airflow. different tarp pitches also provide more or less protection as needed too. tarps are just enormously versatile.
>>
>>691475
Sleeping pads are not so much made for comfort as they are to keep you off the cold ground. Pads are rated by R Value -the capacity of an insulating material to resist heat flow. The higher the R-value, the greater the insulating power. That is why they named their company Thermarest.
>>
Is a tarp good for being homeless or is a hammock better?
>>
>>691521
ah I see, thanks anon

>>691519
>>691510
so you guys are taking a sleeping bag, bivy, ground roll AND a tarp
so that's the most efficient setup?
ground roll to keep you off the ground, bivy for the bugs and extra warmth, sleeping bag

>>691522
if you're homeless a tent will give you more privacy and security, you would struggle to find places sto string a hammock sometimes unless you were living innawoods

most homeless people innawoods set up shanties with wind breaks
>>
File: TarpsAreReal.png (808 KB, 996x754) Image search: [Google]
TarpsAreReal.png
808 KB, 996x754
Tarps are stupid and if you like to using them you are a faggot.There aren't any gear companies selling tarps and people never hike thousands of miles with tarps. They don't exist. All you shills posting pictures of your tarps, that shit is clearly photoshoop'd. Have fun pretending they are a viable option for shelter.
>>
>>691543
Personally I don't take a bivy. Just the tarp. As for the mat and sleeping bag, you're supposed to carry them with any sleep system, so that doesn't change.
>>
since I live in California, I've yet to need any rain protection while sleeping. I like sleeping out under the stars so I only bring a cheap tarp in case I need it. My brother always brings a tent but I just don't like the idea of trading my awesome view and outdoors feeling for being cooped up in a tent.
>>
>>689223
Seek Outside has a reputation for good tents/tipi that accept wood stoves. They also have some ultralight tents that do okay.
>>
>>691543
I don't take a bivy, just a ground sheet that doubles as a rain poncho. Get one that has grommets or loops around the corners that you can use to raise them to create a bathtub floor. With a headnet, you'll have full body bug protection with your sleeping bag covering your lower body.
For me the biggest advantage of this shelter is the size it packs down to, which is basically nothing
>>
>>692010
It's too bad you are too poor to get a decent tent
>>
File: 2412625.jpg (11 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
2412625.jpg
11 KB, 350x350
>>689223
>>
>>691355
Yup, from recent trip to Hardangervidda, Norway, near Haukeli
>>
>>692546
I started out with a tent, and then tarp+bivy, and then tarp+grounsheet. Mainly for the packed size but also a tarp was much better for stealth camping. I hate carrying stuff around and this is a shelter you can almost fit in your pocket
>>
>>692785
do you live in norway?
>>
>>692970
Yep, southwest. Pretty /out/ area -- though not as wild as the North.
>>
Anyone know of an affordable 3 season tent that's ultralight and packs up real small?
>>
>>692611

Those look perfect but not as waterproof as they should be.

Can you /diy/ a waterproofing on it?
>>
>>694165
Please specify number of inhabitants needed. Also "3 season" US-style (fair weather), or "3 seasons" Scandinavian style (blizzards on arctic mountaintops)?
>>
>>694165
>affordable
>high quality
>light

You can only choose two I'm afraid. Ultralight 3-season tents aren't cheap.
>>
>>694188

2 person. But look at >>692611, that's advertised as a two person but really it's only suitable for one. I'm fine with that, if things get snug it's no big deal. It's just me but I'd be happy with a tent that's flexible just in case. 3 season US style.

Honestly I'd love a tent just like >>692611 but is more waterproof and made of canvas or something, but still packs down very compact.
>>
File: Ringstind_SL_12.jpg (105 KB, 742x557) Image search: [Google]
Ringstind_SL_12.jpg
105 KB, 742x557
>>694205
>more waterproof
>made of canvas

Seriously.Any proper tent is to be considered 100% waterproof. If not, you should never even consider it.

Also, you can completely forget about canvas. Canvas is cotton. That shit is heavy and not waterproof unless very thick (causes the fabric to wet through and expand, thus "sealing" the fabric while itself is actually soaked). I have such a tent, and it is awesome. However, it weighs 12 kg (26 pounds), and sleeps 8 people -- hence, you only bring that fucker in a canoe or on a snowmobile...

What you want is a small, lightweight tent made in silnylon that is seam sealed from the factory.

If lightweight is an actual priority, you should look into what vendors like Big Agnes and Henry Shires' TarTent have to offer. Perhaps you could also give Helsport and Hilleberg a look.

You should under no circumstances consider a tent that weighs more than around 3 pounds: Don't forget that you actually have to carry it. If 2-3 person, you can give yourself some leeway on weight..

Pic related, Helsport's Ringstind Superlight 1-2 person tent. Comfy as fuck for one, sleeps two if needed, weighs less than one kg (<2 pounds).
>>
>>694165
Hefty bags
>>
>>694207

Thanks for the awesome suggestion.

I considered canvas because it's durable as fuck and you can waterproof it, and even if it weighs twice as much as a tent of the same size it might be worth the extra weight because it's durability alone.

If someone made a tent like >>692611 in canvas it would be ideal, but as is for the Stanford Scout you have to carry a tarp with it because it's not waterproof.
>>
>>694298

You know that's actually an interesting option.

A couple hefty bags, duct tape, twine, and twigs acquired on site would indeed work.
>>
>>694713
>>694298
have fun getting soaking wet
>>
>>694298
Just don't.
>>
File: crash.png (25 KB, 401x400) Image search: [Google]
crash.png
25 KB, 401x400
Is one of the $40 tents off of amazon a good choice for a noob? (solo, 2-3 day hike, rain could happen)
no bully pls.
>>
I go /out/ often, but always with friends who have tents. What should I look for in a two person tent used for 3-5 day hiking trips? Does /out/ have any preferred brands or anything like that?
>>
>>690673
>>691514

Also used these in the Marines and had the opposite experience. It stayed dry and stable in 30 knot winds and driving rain. The quality is on par with a good commercial 2-man tent. The biggest downside is that they're heavy and I'd never backpack with one. But its heavy because its durable.
>>
>>697981
Kill yourself whore
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 450x450
Im using a coleman 4 person tent. It fits my cot but not a table i want a canvas tent but its not in my current budget
>>
Seek outside 4man tipi perfect for solo and 2 man trips enough room for gear, bed woodpile and stove in winter.
>>
File: 16712924759_748e4eac27_o.jpg (258 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
16712924759_748e4eac27_o.jpg
258 KB, 1200x800
Seek outside tipi
>>
Looking at getting TarpTent Moment DW, should I get it with mesh interior or solid?
>>
File: 026108df-3dab-c56e.jpg (96 KB, 658x493) Image search: [Google]
026108df-3dab-c56e.jpg
96 KB, 658x493
This when I am too lazy to set up a tarp,but condensation a bitch
>>
File: tenty tent.jpg (58 KB, 1200x657) Image search: [Google]
tenty tent.jpg
58 KB, 1200x657
MSR Hubba Hubba for me and the missus
>>
Big Agnes Copper Spur Ul 2. I like the extra room and on occasion it's enough to hold me and chick.

Works well enough
>>
File: anderson.jpg (44 KB, 440x491) Image search: [Google]
anderson.jpg
44 KB, 440x491
>Tarp
>>
>>697981
Benjamin, you Jew
>>
>>689223
I have a summer, (single wall) winter, and 3 season tent. I left my ultra-cool polyester UV resitant tent set up in the back yard and it disintegrated.
>>
File: 61otKt0MjfL._SL1500_.jpg (71 KB, 1500x772) Image search: [Google]
61otKt0MjfL._SL1500_.jpg
71 KB, 1500x772
I've only ever camped with friends in big tents. I want to do some solo hikes. Can anyone suggest a good one person light tent for trekking? I'm European so preferably something I can buy here.
>>
>>702347
banshee 200
>>
>>699587
YOU ARE THE ONE I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!

Do you have one of their stoves? How do you feel the tipi ( and stove ) quality is? How long have you had it or them? How transportable is it? Do you use a Seek Outside backpack? I've been thinking of buying one of the clearance colors but have had no luck finding reviews for their bags online. inb4 "google" because I tried that.
>>
>>689691
I kekkked.
>>
I've got a tarp. Now all I need is a solution for bugs. What do?
>>
>>702828
Google bug bivy
>>
>>702828
buy a tent
>>
>>702553
My pack is a kifaru longhunter. Use it for backpack hunts and hikes. Great tent l. The stove is light but a bit bulky with two people its fine one i just pack differently.

I have a 4 man plenty of room for two or one and space inside. Stove keeps it very comfortable. You will want a folding saw as its a small stove and thicker logs are hard to snap! Burn time is relatively quick maybe i hour but i load it up go to sleep wake up and fire it up before i get out of bed.

Any other questions
>>
>>702926
had it about 2 years quality is very good, its been through the south coast of NSW, victorian alps and Mt Bogong. very happy with it, I replied in the tipi thread about it aswell
>>
File: IMG_1028.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1028.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
>>700598
I have the MSR Elixir 2.

Pretty neat
>>
>>689240
This guy gets it
>>
>>689795
Solid freestanding shelter man, those are hard to put up.
>>
>>702828
You can get a regular bivy, or a bug bivy, and I used a bug bivy for a while but now I just carry a headnet which I can attach to the tarp ridgeline or hold up with a hat.
>>
>>690679
I've had one of these for a couple years now and love it for solo stuff. No pole problems on mine
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 512x288
How bad is condensation on single layer tents? Currently have a 6lb tent. It would love to get down under 3lb. Looking at Henry shred tarptent double rainbow.

For Australia so coldest would only be around freezing although some nights can be very humid.

Pic related is the DR in porch mode. Comfy.
>>
>>702553
I don't have one of their shelters, I use a Kifaru Sawtooth, but their SXL stove is the absolute shit. I bought a Kifaru Ti oval stove but sold it after using an SXL. Have also used a TiGoat stove and the SXL is better.

Also have one of their Unaweep packs and it is the best pack I own. Prefer it over my MR crew cab and Kifaru longhunter and spikecamp. Shit is just super comfortable and the way the frame flexes is like nothing else.

I am thinking of getting one of their larger bags for extended trips, and selling my other packs.
>>
>>703712
It sucks, unless the tent has good venting for airflow.

I use a Kifaru Sawtooth, which is a single layer tent with shit ventilation. In humid conditions I pitch it off the ground a bit (it is floorless) and leave the doors open and it is tolerable. Closed up, it drips all over the place.

Friend has another brand of single layer tent with vents at the peak and double doors. Opened up it never gets condensation, but when we close it up for the cold it does.
>>
>>703081
Where's that camp set up at? I'd love to visit the area!
>>
>>690692
Where did you buy it from?
>>
I carry a REI Quarter Dome 1 but never set it up unless it's raining or snowing. I hang up a 9x6 Wal-Mart tarp and sleep in a North Face sleeping bag on a makeshift platform.
>>
I've been wanting to get an Rei Passage 2
>>
Nemo Galaxi 2p is beautiful and fantastic
>>
Spring and Summer hikes I just carry a hammock, bug net, and tarp.

In bad weather, REI Quarter Dome 2. Keeps me, my gear, and my 2 dogs dry and cozy.
>>
>>689827
You hike with the OHTA?
>>
What good 1-2 people tents are available in Europe? Coleman's?
>>
>>690793
Get this guy /out/ta here!
>>
>>691769
since when are you supposed to bring a mat with any sleep system? All my life I've only known one person who actually brings a mat everytime.
>>
>>707099
>insulates from ground
>more comfortable
>protects sleeping bag

why would you not bring a pad?
>>
>>707057
Hilleberg and Helsport, Exped and Vaude, Tentipi and...
See for instance Hilleberg Soulo and Nammatj and Nallo, Helsport Ringstind and Fjellheimen...
>>
Why doesn't anyone mention Vango tents?
>>
>>690692
That looks like such a sexy tent.
>>
File: IMAG0320.jpg (617 KB, 1344x760) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0320.jpg
617 KB, 1344x760
My mate and I. Mine's the big one on the left, it's not all that heavy and I can keep all my stuff inside.
>>
File: img_0196.jpg (104 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
img_0196.jpg
104 KB, 640x480
>not going ultimate minimalism
>>
File: americans.png (212 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
americans.png
212 KB, 500x380
>>689534
> It does require the ability to read
Truly the most american method
>>
Normal DD 3x3m tarp with your average ticket to the moon hammock. Put a nice woolen blanket on the bottom (not for weight weenies) with a sleeping bag to cover the rest.
Should probably get a mosquito-net for Norway this summer, though I've done just fine on few-day hippie-shit festivals before this.
Probably not winter-proof, unless we're talking something like an arctic-level sleeping bag.
>>
>>708100
A 9m^2 is good? Or you are using imperial?
>>
>>708100
I'll give it to you, the 3 meters isn't probably sufficient for the most violent of rainstorms when its coming down at a good angle.
For extra coverage you can bring the tarp down closer to the hammock and turn it 45 degrees to get everything out of the square shape.
>>
>>708104
responded to
>>708102
>>
>>708104
I'm living in south america and I want to try camping on some beaches here on the island. (One of the few without camping "parking lots") setting up a tent in the middle of the woods isn't much of a culture here and I won't go to those camping parks as if I wanted to sleep uncomfortably I could sleep on the floor. I'm at the summer season and rainstorms everyday int he afternoon are almost sure. What size should I buy? It'll probably be truck tarp which is tough as shit.
>>
>>707176
Thanks, anything that doesn't cost 400 euros?
>>
>>708292
>>708121

Well, then you should seriously consider a good silnylon tarp and some extra cordage. Get a decent bivy, and you should be all set, for a lot less than a nice tent.

Also, tarping is way more fun.

(I'm the guy with the tents and tarps from Norway who keeps suggesting shit to you, and I guess you're the guy who wants something that really doesn't exist.. cross posting in the other thread)
>>
File: funtimes.jpg (115 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
funtimes.jpg
115 KB, 640x480
>>708093
>>
>>690692
>can get this from military surplus if you're lucky
>otherwise 300-500 dollars
>>
>>691085
Are you from Norway dude? Would you consider letting me hire a tent from you in May? Happy to pay a deposit if you want to be sure I won't steal it :)

(doing a road trip: Bergen, Lovatnet, Ã…ndalsnes, Geiranger, then I'm not exactly sure but probably Aurland, Undredal and Gudvangen before going back to Bergen)
>>
File: khufu_tyvek-1.jpg (73 KB, 1200x797) Image search: [Google]
khufu_tyvek-1.jpg
73 KB, 1200x797
>>689792
>tyvek
Gonna pick some commercial grade scraps from a construction project down the street soon. Have you or anyone here made any shelter with it? Hoping it's enough for Colorado Trail or maybe the PCT next year. Picrelated LocusGear Khufu, weighs 15oz.
>>
File: 778[1].png (3 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
778[1].png
3 MB, 1920x1200
>>694713
>did this in the scouts for some badge who the fuck can recall
>got fucking soaked cause it rained
>never did get that badge
least of my regrets from that summer
>>
File: _O7A7438.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
_O7A7438.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1365
I have this outwell tent.

>3 person
>pop up
>cost £20 in the millets sale
>collapses into a circle with a 1m diameter. doesn't pack any smaller and is heavy.
I've put it through some shit in Scotland and the Lake District with serious wind and rain and it's help up amazingly well. It's also roomy and comfy.

The problem is I'm heading to Norway in May. I'll be hammocking in the valleys, but need a 2 (preferably 2.5) person tent that can survive high altitude scandinavian weather, while small and light enough to hike with.

Obviously I'm going to have to cough up but will hopefully snipe an ebay bargain. I've looked at the Force Ten ION 2 but I missed it.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>710247
Get a Duomid os something similar.
>>
>>710247
Actually -- could you specify where in Norway you're going? There are several options for renting outdoor equipment around the country.. Mainly in Norwegian, so if you don't speak the modt beautiful language in the world, I can help you google...
>>
>>710209
Oh -- you're him, right?
>>
File: 40775_122788.jpg (203 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
40775_122788.jpg
203 KB, 800x600
>>702358
I have one of these and they are perfect for solo as they fit you and your kit with room to spare. Not my pick but iv not had any bad experiences with it.
>>
>>689653
Have you tried it on snow? I'm thinking about buying the lynx 1 can you share your experience with it?
>>
>>712784
>>712785
That would be so helpful dude. Yes both of those posts are me.

We're landing in Bergen and staying the night in Marken Guesthouse. The next day we drive to Lovatnet - we'll camp there 2 nights, most likely in hammocks as it looks like there are plenty of trees.

Then we drive to Ã…ndalsnes. We'll camp there too for two nights, possible up on the ridge near-ish romsdalseggen. I'll probably just drive to these coordinates on google maps and see what i can find: 62.514963, 7.808497

After that we're driving to Geiranger where I've booked us a couple of nights in a cottage, and then we're heading south, most likely to Aurland, Undredal and Gudvangen, before heading back to Bergen where I'll stay with a friend. 10 nights total.

Any advice is gratefully received!

Oh and the Force Ten ION 2 came back up... Does anyone have any experience with it?
>>
bump so norwegian bro sees this >>713064
>>
>>712834
It's not too heavy at 5 pounds?
>>
>>708581
Who is this guy? He looks like and older and chubbier me.
>>
>>713304
I don't think 5 is too heavy
>>
File: 20160315_211020.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160315_211020.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
This just came in today. Excited to pitch it for the first time.
>>
>>713315
>Who?

http://theslowdrive.com/?p=330
>>
File: Rentatent.png (116 KB, 790x387) Image search: [Google]
Rentatent.png
116 KB, 790x387
>>713064
>>713165
Well, first things first: Renting shit in Norway is not particularly cheap. However, the Norwegian currency Kroner (NOK) is really weak these days, so you'll get more bang for your ameribuck than "usual". Current exchange rate is 8.56 NOK to one USD.

So, at the outset, one alternative in Bergen: https://leieting.no/nb/listings?area=3&category=friluftsliv Basically private people renting out their own kit through a third party. Looks serious.
They don't offer rebates for extended rent off the bat, but it should be possible to contact the owner for a deal, they say.

These two send equipment to the location of your choice:

http://www.utevent.no/29.html looks good, and very cheap; NOK500 for a week -- however they do not specify the brand of their "3-man mountain tent". Page in English, Send them a mail here: [email protected] They charge you for the transport of the tent to a location of your choosing. I can send them a mail in Norwegian if you like.

Hekta på tur will let you rent some tents. They send to wherever in Norway for free. More expensive, but awesome tents.. but unfortunately not really your ideal choices. The North Face VE25 is for rent for NOK3000 for three weeks, 2300 for two weeks. NOK1500 deposit. Hilleberg Altai XP for the same rate -- that'a a fun tent. Serious actor in the Norwegian outdoor retailer industry, at least.
http://www.hektapatur.no/telt/teltutleie
>>
>>713709
google-translated price list from utevent:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.utevent.no%2F42.html&edit-text=
>>
>>713709
>>713712
Thanks so much for the advice man. i really appreciate it.

now i just need to have you critique my entire itinerary, hah
>>
>>712834
>>702358
Can the Banshee 200 be shipped to the US? If not what is a good alternative?
>>
>>714407
Robbens dot de

They makes similar tents.
>>
File: vango-blade.jpg (64 KB, 500x550) Image search: [Google]
vango-blade.jpg
64 KB, 500x550
I think I'll get a vango blade 200. Looks more roomy than a banshee and it's practically the same weight
>>
>>714407
Yea I got my 300 and I'm in the usa
>>
File: ArchesTrip_27.jpg (73 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
ArchesTrip_27.jpg
73 KB, 960x720
TNF Stormbreaker 1.

Vents extremely well, super easy to set up and tear down. Comes with a great rainfly too.

Here it is at Arches National Park
>>
File: Visit_Geiranger.jpg (359 KB, 1112x536) Image search: [Google]
Visit_Geiranger.jpg
359 KB, 1112x536
>>713064
>>713754
Bergen--Lovatnet is quite a drive, right? About 6-7 hours (don't trust google maps estimates on Norwegian mountain roads: If the max allowes speed is 80km/h, google reckons you'll drive 80km/h. If you do, you die.) Anyway, Lovatnet/Lodalen is gorgeous, well worth a visit.

The drive to Ã…ndalsnes is scenic. Nice idea and area. Of course you'll find a camp.

Geiranger is post-card area as well. Aurland/Gudvangen is not an area I'm familiar with, but is known to be nice /out/ terrain.

All in all, seems like a nice tour of western Norway -- just remember not to try to overdo it; If you find a nice area, you'll probably feel better if taking your time there and not having your itinirary set in stone, stressing along to "see it all"

Also, you choose to visit Loen (where people died several times over because landslide induced tsunamis) and Geiranger (where people are destined to die because same).

Good luck with that.

Pic related, Geiranger
>>
>>714445
Lower weight and heaps bigger inside.
I own the blade 200 and my mate owns the Banshee 200. Both good but the Blade is better.
Also if you wont have anyone else in it, get the Blade 100, still has heaps of room and shaves some weight.
>>
>>714445
Its a lot longer to put up though.
>>
Can someone recommend me a nice 1 person tent? Currently have a Vango Blade 200, want something lighter and I don't need the room for 2 people, want something double skin, can't deal with the condensation.

Any recommendations?

TL;DR lightest double skin 1 person tent, also needs a ground sheet bit, none of those open ones
>>
>>714940
Also, I know it won't be cheap, quality over cost
>>
>>714941
>inb4 Hilleberg

Overpriced and not worth the money. Period.

alps mountaineering lynx 1 or tnf stormbreaker that anon already sugested. Both cheap and good quality, and also both use only two poles (easier to repair if one brakes) and they are self standing (something you'd really appreciate if you have to move your tent in the middle of the night or there's not so much space to put your tent).
>>
>Just checking the greentexting thing never mind me
>>
File: Ringstind.jpg (150 KB, 595x595) Image search: [Google]
Ringstind.jpg
150 KB, 595x595
>>714940
Hilleberg Enanm, 1,2 kg
Hilleberg Akto, 1,5 kg
Hilleberg Soulo, (bombproof) 2,4 kg

Helsport Ringstind SL (1-2 man), 0,9 kg
Helsport Fjellheimen SL (2 man, roomy), 1,4 kg
Helsport Fonfjell SL (2 man, very roomy), 1,7 kg

Tarptent Scarp, 1,4 kg
Tarptent Moment DW, 0,9 kg

Terra Nova Laser Competition 1, 0,9 kg

Pic related, Helsport Ringstind Superlight 1-2
>>
>>714954
>Hille..

Droped it
>>
>>714954
>>714948
Thanks guys, really liking the look of the terra nova competition
>>
>>714954
Looking at the terra nova laser competition, it says that the seams aren't able to be fully sealed, or something along those lines.
What does this mean? Will it leak?
>>
>>714733
Yeah, the Bergen - Lovatnet drive is by far the longest, and is ambitious, but I want to get that chunk of driving out of the way so that we can take our time with less driving from that point on, and spend two nights at Lovatnet. I'm a photographer and being in an environment while the light changes is the best way to really 'see' it.

... Did people really die in the Tsunamis? I mean, the probability of a landslide happening while we visit seems infinitesimal, but now I'm worried. Then again, what a way to go.

Check out this photosphere of the place I want to camp at Lovatnet. Looks amazing (won't work if you're using a mobile device)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Lovatnet/@61.7947228,6.988955,3a,75y,304h,90t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-b8PK_X0OcJA%2FVXOKsGMXSXI%2FAAAAAAAAMZY%2FcpGAb-BF4ig!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2Flh4.googleusercontent.com%2F-b8PK_X0OcJA%2FVXOKsGMXSXI%2FAAAAAAAAMZY%2FcpGAb-BF4ig%2Fw203-h101-n-k-no%2F!7i9728!8i4864!4m2!3m1!1s0x46167f2593a18947:0xff9d70d5a350c580?hl=en
>>
File: Lovatnet.jpg (125 KB, 859x653) Image search: [Google]
Lovatnet.jpg
125 KB, 859x653
>>714982
Hah! Funny, the photosphere is looking directly at the landslide -- you can see the part of the mountain that still has a different color.

The sound itself (and the flat area to your left) is what makes people dare to live there now, as another landslide would mostly just hit "land", i.e. the rests of the former slides, hence not creating a huge wave.

Read more about lovatnet here: http://www.dark-tourism.com/index.php/15-countries/individual-chapters/832-lovatnet

However, like I said -- nothing to be afraid of anymore... unlike Geiranger. See the movie "the wave" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3616916/) before you come -- as a primer.
>>
>>714940
How is it? Is it annoying to set up at all? I'm looking to get one myself to camp by myself and sometimes with the gf. Is 2.1 kg really too much?

Otherwise I'm just going to get the vango banshee.
>>
File: slumberjack-trail-tent-2-base.jpg (26 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
slumberjack-trail-tent-2-base.jpg
26 KB, 700x700
works great in the mojave desert winds and in the sequoia in the fall. haven't done snow yet, so i have no comment on that, but wind and rain are barely noticed in this guy.
>>
File: 20160317_162211.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160317_162211.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
1/3 used this baby for algonquinn last sept great mobility but as my friend reminded me...im kind of a sausage for a bear
>>
File: 20160317_162005.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160317_162005.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
2/3
>>
File: 20160317_162045.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160317_162045.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
3/3 although i have to say you can jump out of that thing in a second all you do is reach down to the bottom and scrunch it
>>
4/3
I forgot to mention that i stayed in that tent for 2-3 weeks, anyone do any better with minimal supplies/comfort?
>>
>>715226
Fakk'n BS m8 u call thaht a fwarkn tent?
>>
>>715155
It's easy enough to set up, doesn't take long either, to be honest, the weight isn't too bad, but since the people I camp with are all getting their own tents, I should get a lighter one.
Only problem I've found with it is that in extreme wind, the single pole becomes an issue and it can move around
>>
Why are there always so many tarpfags on /out/? Tarps are the dumbest fad to hit the outdoors in the last 20 years, but you still see a lot of foaming-at-the-mouth proponents.
>>
>>715412
I've done cross country trips over 12 months long with a tarp. You don't have a clue
>>
File: 1458246346894.jpg (145 KB, 816x612) Image search: [Google]
1458246346894.jpg
145 KB, 816x612
>>715226
think maybe we're getting trolled here?
>>
File: 1455311649739.png (230 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1455311649739.png
230 KB, 640x360
>>715183
>6lbs 5oz.
>>
Any have a Terra Nova Laser Competition 1?

Any good?
>>
>>694167
Just bring a tarp that slightly dwarfs the tent's dimensions and pitch it over the main body of the tent.

This technique can also be used to collect water easily in rainy areas.
>>
>>715473
Yeah I bet.

Where?

Please show us a link to your bonafides. Guessing they'll compare well against Roger Caffin's, who says tarps are for retards: http://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsites/FAQ/FAQ_Shelter.htm#Tarps
>>
File: IMG_20140824_152153.jpg (3 MB, 3200x2368) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140824_152153.jpg
3 MB, 3200x2368
>>716162
The USA, from March 2014 to March 2015. I'm Canadian, started from Washington state, and basically did a giant Z through the country, hitchhiked/found rides all the way to NYC, then Cali, then Florida and as much as I could fit in between. I didn't take many pics but here is one of a cave in SE Utah I stayed in with some hippies for a while. I've posted this pic a few times here.

I'm done with tents
>>
>>715412
>the dumbest fad to hit the outdoors in the last 20 years
Pretty sure George Washington Sears was writing about using tarps in the 1880's. They're hardly a fad.
>>
File: image.png (5 KB, 361x260) Image search: [Google]
image.png
5 KB, 361x260
>>689763
>>
>>689768
shit nigger you fit 4 people in that?
>>
>>694164
What kind of clothing did you need to wear to hike out there, planning on taking my GF hiking in Norway soon but we have no idea what the conditions would be like nor the clothing we will need.
>>
>>691128
diglet dig diglet dig
TRIO TRIO TRIO
>>
File: 1411516507902.jpg (95 KB, 680x989) Image search: [Google]
1411516507902.jpg
95 KB, 680x989
>>715412
You didn't even try
Thread replies: 227
Thread images: 57

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.