[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TENTS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: tent.jpg (905 KB, 1567x911) Image search: [Google]
tent.jpg
905 KB, 1567x911
What is the best tent that ticks all 3 major boxes...
- Lightweight
- Can take a beating/stand up to the elements
- Doesn't cost a fortune

Of course there has to be compromise on one or two of these things, but which tent would be your choice?

Pic related: Alpkit tends to be super good value, but this one is a tad pricey
>>
>>706957
Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid Silnylon
>>
>>706957
Helsport Ringstind SL
Helsport Fjellheimen SL
Zpacks Hexamid
>>
File: SAM_3540.jpg (254 KB, 821x462) Image search: [Google]
SAM_3540.jpg
254 KB, 821x462
>>706957

Good tents are always a bit pricey. It's a mix of expensive fabrics, good fabrication, good engineering, and of course outdoor- and brand bonus making it expensive. Try around a bit and look what kind of things you want to do with it.

If you want one that can stand elements use one that doesn't have large steep walls that can catch winds, and find one that has tent poles that cross each other.

I have a Wechsel Pathfinder Zero G, I know many people hate on Wechsel-Tents but I'm happy with this one.
>>
Are there any decent four-season tents out there good to -50 fahrenheit when combined with a MILSURP sleep system?
>>
>>708164
Tent is not for insulation. I can't believe how many people on /out/ still misunderstand this.

The tent is not for insulation. It is for keeping wind and rain away from your sleep system. Period.

Your sleep system and clothing provide insulation.

OK - one small caveat: If hot-tenting with fire/stove, the tent acts to keep heat inside.

So please, please get it right, anons: The tent is not for insulation.

OK?
>>
>>708233

This. A good proper tent will be mostly mesh to prevent condensation. The rain fly will protect you from the weather. Warmth comes from your sleeping system.
>>
>Lightweight
>Well made/durable
>Cheap

Here's a little tip that you should keep in mind when shopping for any sort of hiking, camping, or outdoor gear. You're only going to get two of attributes at a time. If something doesn't cost much then it's either durable or lightweight, never both.
>>
>>706957
Relatively cheap lightweight (2kg or less) tent in Europe? I keep getting reccommended tents that cost 400 euros or more and that's just not possible. I want to spend like 150 euros...
>>
>>708292
>>708121
Well, then you should seriously consider a good silnylon tarp and some extra cordage. Get a decent bivy, and you should be all set, for a lot less than a nice tent.

Also, tarping is way more fun.

(I'm the guy with the tents and tarps from Norway who keeps suggesting shit to you, and I guess you're the guy who wants something that really doesn't exist.. cross posting in the other thread)
>>
>>708292
>>708387
Why not a vango tent? They're around that price range and they seem like good tents?
>>
>>708263
>Of course there has to be compromise on one or two of these things, but which tent would be your choice?

My favourite thing about /out/ is how desperate everyone is to assume they're the cleverest faggot in the thread
>>
>>708866
> I can defy reality, cause I'm special
Snork.
>>
Hey gang, new to /out/, lurked before but never posted. Thinking about doing some solo camping this spring/ summer and wanted tent advice. Looking for a decent quality single person tent I can take with me. Don't want/ need anything flashy or showy, just something built decent and within the $80 + - range. Thanks.
>>
>>709334
riiiight... $80
>built decent

Again -- get a tarp, it's all you can afford, to be honest
>>
>>709339
I refuse to believe there is a decent tent for + - $80 dollars out there.
> get a tarp
Don't even bother replying if your just going to troll and be unhelpful
>>
>>709345
Isn't*
>>
>>709334

If I were you I would just buy one of those cheap 30-40 dollar tents and use that until you know what you need and what you're looking for in a tent and you're ready to drop a couple hundred on a high end model. I don't think it's ever a good idea to go for the mid-range on any sort of gear because it always ends up being a waste of money. Either go for the cheap stuff or go all in on a high end model that will last a few decades.

Also since you're solo camping you really should look into using hammocks and bivy's. If you don't have another person to help you carry gear even the smallest tents can be a pain to lug around and they're always bulky.
>>
>>709348

Another prospective solo camper here.
Picked up a Yukon hammock (off Woot!, came here a few weeks back and was recommended to check there).

I'm an idiot and waited too long to get a rainfly and strap along with the hammock - how much should I expect to spend to round out a good single-person outing if I'm planning on living out the car and sleeping in the hammock?
>>
>>711374

Straps will run you less than 10 dollars and you can find a decent tarp on Amazon in the 30 dollar range. I use trotline for rigging the tarp but you can easily get by with paracord or something cheaper. Underquilts are really expensive so I wouldn't even look at them until you know hammocks are your thing. Them 5 dollar foam pads at Walmart work just as well for insulation.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.