[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is cross country bike. Any difference from 1995 to 2016?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (175 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175 KB, 640x426
What is cross country bike. Any difference from 1995 to 2016? I was born in the 80s and rode a lava dome and a Kula. Should I get one of those again. I live near trees. Should I do cross country races.

Do old bikes get out performed by new bikes. If so how much.
>>
>>970960
you really need to be spending at least 5500 on a carbon bike
>>
>>970986
Where did you get this arbitrary sum from?
>>
What has changed= most xc racers now ride 29er wheels, disc brakes are amazing, way better air suspension forks, pedal Bob minimal with new air shocks,stems are shorter, top tubes longer, handlebars wider and most importantly a new bike will be significantly lighter.
>>
this should answer a couple of your questions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoEdy_Vy_V4
>>
>>970960

OP this video explains difference btw xc and trail. it's a good start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVCp3RuwB54
>>
>>971005
jesus that's a long time to spend saying a trail bike is softer and slacker
>>
File: mongoosewoods.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
mongoosewoods.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>970960
My main bike is a hardtail made in 1996. As long as the bike you buy has modern geometry, such as the one you posted, you will be fine. I did upgrade the fork on mine though, which I suggest you do on any older bike if you want to ride it seriously.
>>
File: TransAm.jpg (448 KB, 2000x1174) Image search: [Google]
TransAm.jpg
448 KB, 2000x1174
>>970960
xc is 'going fast on single track', which generally means you want a light hardtail with 29" wheels.
whether you go full-on mountainfred garbon is up to you, but if you have to ask... you don't need carbon.

i suggest something like this transition hardtail to start on if you're looking to buy new.
>>
>>971270
Thank you. I will look at transition. Im
>>
transition a shit like anyone race with those fugly ass tires.
>>
>>970960
>What is cross country bike.
A bike for xc mtbing
>Any difference from 1995 to 2016?
Yes
>I was born in the 80s and rode a lava dome and a Kula.
cool story bro
>Should I get one of those again.
no
>I live near trees.
cool me too
>Should I do cross country races.
yes
>Do old bikes get out performed by new bikes.
yes
>If so how much.
a lot

pinkbike.com/buysell
>>>/n/bbg
>>
>>970997
my 90's xc bike is far lighter than my 29er xc bike
>>
>>971031
Oh lawd is that an Alta?
>>
>>971422
Old bike compete just fine with new xc bikes from the races ive been to. I take it you've never been to an xc race?

hell at 3, and 4/5 crits i see older road bike hanging in there with new ones
>>
>>971534
No, it's an IBOC Zero-G SX™, as shown on the top tube.
>>
I've got a nice steel XC racing bike from early 2000's. It has no disc brake mounts and 26" wheels look out of style today. The grip shift is also horribly out dated. The Judy SL forks are ok I think but they are pre lock out days and heavy. I was thinking about converting it to single speed and put rigid fork on it. Or just wait another ten years for 26" wheels to come back into style
>>
>>971539
ah at first glance i thought it was like a bumper sticker or something, excuse my stupidity.
>>
File: Schwinn Homegrown 01.jpg (828 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
Schwinn Homegrown 01.jpg
828 KB, 1632x1224
>>970960
1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Team bike. I swapped out the front fork for a RockShox SID World Cup that has a remote lock out. This is a very light weight hardtail.
>>
>>
>>
>>9
>>
Are cross country bikes good for riding on the road?
>>
>>974244
No. Road bikes are good for riding on the road. Git Gud.
>>
>>974244
Any bike is good for riding on the road if you put slick tires on it and lock whatever suspension it has
>>
>>974248
Maybe if you are comparing the bike to your personal level of gud, which is not very. Git
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.