[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help guys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
So my bike is pretty much only rideable in low 1 and high 6 gear, anything else makes the chain slip, its pretty annoying since i love biking and dont have any more to spend on repairs, any way i can fix this on my own? any help would be apreciated, if you need any more information i'l give my best to provide you with it
>>
Have you tried adjusting the tension of the shifter cable?

If not, delete this thread. There us usually a little knob that you spin to adjust it. It's usually near the shifter itself. Turn your bike upside down, adjust, test and repeat.
>>
How did you mantain the chain in the past months/years?

is the bike used?

Because it seems like you got a worn out cassette.
>>
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
>>
Chains do stretch ever so slightly, thats usually what causes skipping. This is an every 1500-3000 mile thing for me..
cable housing gets compressed, worn and cracked and cables either stretch or snap, I don't really have a mileage on this just do it when its needed.
Cassettes get worn and so do sprockets, look for shark fins to know when its worn, also dont cross chain as this destroys your equipment quicker.

anon go watch some tutorials on chains, and front and rear derailleurs. I would start with a new chain, cables and housing as these are cheap to start with. Cassettes and sprockets are a little more pricey but also usually last longer.
>>
install campagnolo
>>
Im gonna try from the easiest method, thanks
>>
>>962241
What easiest method, you still have not really described the problem.

If you didn't change your chain ever and you bought the bike used, it's very likely that your chain is shot, which led to your cassette being shot, which might have also destroyed your cogs in the long run, and eventually it will eat through your rear derailer if you don't do anything.

So a $20 fix might have become an $400 fix if you never changed your chain.

Do you regularly clean and oil it? Just tell us the general run through.
>>
Yeah i haven't changed the chain since i bought the bike, like 6 years now, i did oil it here and there, nothing to much
>>
I had the front part of the bike changed completly as it was cracked in the inside, i dont know what its called, front cassette or what, not sure
>>
>>962247
Crankset.
>>
Yeah, i had it fixed because it was slipping, but that didnt fix the problem either..
>>
>>962249
You'll need to replace the cassette and chain too. Have a shop do it, you'll most likely screw something up if you attempt it yourself.

Also we have a general for this kind of questions: >>>/n/bqg
>>
Okay, will bring it to the shop then, thanks
>>
>>962249
After 6 years of abuse, your cassette and chain are fucked too. Maybe rear derailleur too.

You gotta keep this shit in check now or you'll waste a lot of money. A properly mantained bike is cheaper in the long run.
>>
Might just need derailleur adjustments. Use Park Tool or Sheldon Brown online tutorials.

Otherwise your components are worn. Chains stretch with use. They should be replaced at 0.75% stretch. If they go beyond 1% they will wear out your sprockets on your chainrings and cassette, and if that happens, you'll have to replace those things too. You can stop by a LBS and ask them to measure your chain for stretch. (they will do this for free; if they won't, go to a different LBS) You can also look at your sprocket teeth and look for sharking (worn teeth).

Chains will last about 1,000-3,000 kilometers depending on various factors.

If chain is stretched, buy new chain
If chain is stretched and sprockets are worn, buy new chain and chainrings and cassette (and possibly derailleur pulleys)

Next time ask in /bqg/
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.