[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
fixing sprocket?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
File: IMG_20160429_080252.jpg (175 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160429_080252.jpg
175 KB, 1280x960
A sprocket fell off my rear wheel ... like a rivet came out?

How do I fix this?
>>
That's a rear derailleur pulley. It also appears half of your rear derailleur is missing. Get a new one.
And please, next time use the bike questions general.
>>
>dat valve stem angle

Yep, missing bushing and end caps in addition to the bolt. You'll definitely need a replacement derailleur if the other half of the cage is gone. Might be able to get one used from a shop, local FB group or bike coop.
>>
Before you fix, check that you have an actual bike and not some walmart piece of crap.
>>
>>950401
looks like a sprocket
>>
>>950410
It's a Specialized Rock Hopper
>>
its clearly a downtube.
>>
You are also missing the other pulley and half your derailleur cage. You need a new rear derailleur. Take it to a LBS or ask in >>>/n/bqg if you need help picking out a compatible rear derailleur.
>>
File: jjjlol.jpg (28 KB, 801x534) Image search: [Google]
jjjlol.jpg
28 KB, 801x534
>>950469
The downtube here is clearly OP, not the thing in OP's hand.
>>
>>950401
op its probably more cost effective to just buy a new rear derailer from amazon or your lbs than to try and fix it.
>>
You can by new pulley pair but I dont know what else is missing. That pulley looks ok so you could try to find some broken old derailleur and take the parts you're missing. Or just buy a new derailleur.
>>
>>950471
Fuck off with your downtube shit
>>
File: bentdowntube.jpg (30 KB, 605x600) Image search: [Google]
bentdowntube.jpg
30 KB, 605x600
>>951109
don't get all bent out of shape
>>
>>951109
Downtuber detected.
>>
File: IMG_20160501_191518.jpg (261 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160501_191518.jpg
261 KB, 1280x960
LBS said they couldn't fix it (this was before I saw the other replies ITT) ... so cool, ok I can get a new deraileur.

Is there a particular size or style that I need?

Here's what the mounting point looks like.
>>
File: IMG_20160501_190822.jpg (277 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160501_190822.jpg
277 KB, 1280x960
>>951337

Old one is a Shimano Deore LX, model RD-M550

Found this when I googled it: http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=999f57a2-3151-4739-b96d-7bf3a81329c4&Enum=108
>>
>>951339
>>951337
Just make sure the new derailleur you get is a long cage MTB one, like your previous one. And for fuck's sake please take better care of your bike, look at all that grit and muck.
>>
>>951339
fuck nigga all that dirt, you deserve to die painfully in an accident
>>
>>951343
>for fuck's sake please take better care of your bike, look at all that grit and muck.

This so much. Although I keep my drivetrain clean and working order I was really surprised at how loud it was getting. The cassette looked fine, no shark tooth yet, but got a new cassette and chain and damn it felt like a new bike once I got it ll dialed in. I still have the old chain, I bet it was stretched out of spec. I have about 3500 miles on it
>>
>>951343

Ya I live by the beach so it gets a lot of sand. I don't have an air compressor to blow it off.
>>
>>951357
You don't have a hose, clean rags and a toothbrush either? You do realize your derailleur probably exploded because too much shit got stuck inside it?
>>
>>951358
No hose, but the toothbrush is a good idea.
>>
>>951337
>>951339
please clean your bike my mans
>>
File: IMG_0128.jpg (721 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0128.jpg
721 KB, 1000x1500
>thought my bike was really dirty as hell after a couple of trail rides without cleaning because of time/rain
>wouldn't even ride it like this, "poor mechs" I thought
>see OP's bike

Oh god.
OP if I can do it, you can do it. it takes 30-45 minutes to clean the mechs well enough and give it a superficial cosmetic wipe + apply new oil once its dry.
>>
>>951357
Everyone's got his own method, but it doesn't require rocket science

you need an old brush/some old brushes, rags, water, degreaser, dry lube.

>take bike
>put under water (Got a hose? Use that. Not under any strong pressure and aim diagonally/from the top, not straight into the bearings. Sadly I've got no hose, so I use a 1lt water bottle and refill it at a nearby tap)
>keep liberally spraying around

then

>take light degreaser something
>I use WD40, which people will scream at you for using, but it's really okay if you just DEGREASE with it (it's 2/3 degreaser 1/3 lube, and displaces water, so it will penetrate nicely in your now wet bike, no it won't hurt it.)
>spray a bit of it on the cogs and chain, spin it while you're doing it

while you wait for the wd40 to sink in for a minute or two, clean the front wheel or something.
Once a couple of minutes have passed...

>get your brush and rags and gently rub the rear mech and chain clean
>rinse with a lot of water, repeat as necessary until most of the grime is gone, it doesn't need to be perfect, just remove any grit from spinning parts
>take particular care on removing grit from INSIDE the chain links, that's where the wear happens.

When everything is clean enough, let it dry.
>Once dry. take a reference point on the chain and while spinning it drip some dry lube on it, making sure it goes INSIDE the chain
>let lube sink in for 4-5 minutes
>take rag and spin chain while gently wiping off excess lube from the sides of the chain

Boom, youre done.

Things NOT to do
>do not lube your cassette
>do not over apply degreaser
>do not lube over degreaser without wiping it WELL off first (also a good reason to use WD40, as it evaporates very quickly and is easy to clean)
>do not lube a wet chain

And dunno I guess that's it.
>>
lmao
>>
>not dismount your bike every day to clean it
casual fred downtuber DETECTED
>>
>>952712
Dismount it from where?
>>
>you'll repair the bike of a qt fuccboii who knows nothing about bikes
>>
>>952717
your mom
>>
>>952729
XD
>>
>>951357

You need a dedicate beach racer
>>
>>952712
>not cleaning your bike while riding it
>>
>>951339
Any low end Specialized Rock Hopper or Hard Rock will work fine with a Shimano Tourney rear deraileur.
>>
>>952736
>Aggressive fat tyre bike
Noice. Just needs hydros and maybe singlespeed.
>>
>>952736
>Schwalbe professional bike tires

9/11 would buy
>>
>>952736
What bars are those? Any shots from other angles?
>>
>>954791
http://road.cc/content/news/73765-koga%E2%80%99s-prototype-beach-racer
>a special handlebar
>>
>>952736
Enjoy loading your drive train and race surfaces with silicates and quartz.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.