[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there another album like this one? I would love to listen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
Is there another album like this one? I would love to listen to you're recommendations.
>>
>>65656273
Go to /b/ and ask there
>>
>>65656273
Go to /pol/ and ask there
>>
>>65656273
On Avery Island is better, listen to that
>>
>>65656338
This meme isn't even funny
>>
>>65656354
Memes aren't meant to be funny
>>
>>65656273
Go to /soc/ and ask there
>>
File: On_avery_island_album_cover.jpg (35 KB, 299x300) Image search: [Google]
On_avery_island_album_cover.jpg
35 KB, 299x300
>>
>>65656338
idk about better but you should definitely check this out
>>
Besides these two albums NMH and Jeff Mangum have lot of other material which you should check out. I also think Avery Island is a better album than ITAOTS.
>>
The Microphones are different but somewhat comparable, check out the glow pt.2 and if you like that then Mount Eerie
>>
>>65656354
It's not even a meme. On Avery Island is genuinely superior. I know that everybody praises itaots for it's emotion and it's lyricism, but OAI does those things just as well, and it utilizes horns and other various instruments just as well (barring Untitled, the best track on itaots).

The thing that pulls OAI away for me, is the fact that the instrumentation itself is a lot more expressive than that of itaots, and Jeff's singing is still as expressive. Just look at the closer, Pree's Sisters. It gets across it's tone and emotion without the my vehicle that NMH usually gets those things across, that vehicle being Jeff's singing and lyrics. Not to mention that Pree's Sisters is a fantastic closer, and probably the best one Jeff's done, barring maybe Life Forms on Major Organ and The Adding Machine
>>
>>65656564
You were extremely close to gets
>>
>>65656564
And I mean, you were extremely close
>>
>>65656425
This meme isn't even funny
>>
>>65656649
>people can't prefer different things than me
>>
>>65656649
You can't just call everything you don't like a meme

>>65656616
>>65656630
damn I was close
>>
>>65656564
>Jeff's done, barring maybe Life Forms on Major Organ and The Adding Machine
lol
>>
File: 1424062305126.jpg (28 KB, 284x322) Image search: [Google]
1424062305126.jpg
28 KB, 284x322
>>65656666
Checked
>>
>>65656681
Would you care to contribute more than lol?

Why don't you like Life Forms or Pree's Sisters? In my opinion, Two Headed Boy Pt 2 is a pretty bland folk song, carried by Jeff's epressionism
>>
>>65656564
It's literally unintentionally rough demo's from E7 days.
ITAOTS has intentional engineering behind it.
The instrumentation, and lyrics on AI are generally worse, but you have to be a contrarian fuck for (You)s don't you?
>>
>>65656711
>Would you care to contribute more than lol?
It wasn't really Jeff you dummy.
>>
>>65656720
>It's literally unintentionally rough demo's from E7 days.
poor quality b8

Try harder pls
>>
>>65656677
Yeah man, try to get the other gets, they will come soon, you have a chance, good luck
>>
Being from Athens Georgia myself I'm positively SICK of this fucking band. Not to mention Jeff's a fucking asshole to fans and band members, past and present alike.
>>
>>65656720
>It's literally unintentionally rough demo's from E7 days.
The conditions of how it was recorded don't matter, though I'd like a source for that

>The instrumentation, and lyrics on AI are generally worse
Well thank you for that detailed and concise explanation, but could you explain why?

I'm not being a contrarian I'm just stating my opinion. I don't know why but it usually makes people very upset. And I'm not saying I dislike Itaots either
>>
>>65656731
E6*
you knew what I meant
>>
>>65656721
Oh yeah I knew that, but he was involved in the album to some degree so I though it was worth mentioning
>>
>>65656273
Olivia Tremor Control
Ladybug Transistor
Microphones - Glow pt. 2
>>
>>65656564
>>65656565
>>
>>65656765
1) It was specifically recorded for his first album, directly after he got signed to Merge
2) It was intentionally recorded on 4-track tape not only in reference to The Beatles/Beach Boys, but was intentionally fuzzed out because Jeff liked the dirty sound of his old overdriven Tascam
3) It's E6
4) He's always been in E6, so his "E6 days" would be all of time.

Please fuck off
>>65656772
Not really.
>>
>>65656761
>The conditions of how it was recorded don't matter
They literally do.
E6 were obsessed with shitty lo-fi.
Whereas in ITAOTS they had a real studio with professionals.

And you know damn well that discussing individual tracks won't get us anywhere but muh opinion your opinion.
>>
>>65656797
I'm not sure if your calling my post bait or pointing out the get that I missed
>>
>>65656808
>Whereas in ITAOTS they had a real studio with professionals.
What studio? What professionals?
>>
>>65656807
>Not really.
I never got why people say this, I mean he sang on a couple songs so he was undeniably involves, though it's just a small contribution. Who were the main contributors?
>>
>>65656847
>Who were the main contributors?
Eric Harris and Julian Koster. There;s more Keven Barnes from of Montreal on that album than there is Jeff Mangum.

You probably only listened to Major Organ in the first place because of
>mah Jeff Mangum!
>>
>>65656808
>Whereas in ITAOTS they had a real studio with professionals.
Actually it was in a studio fashioned by Rob Schneider in the Jim McIntyre, the guy from Von Hemlling, so not exactly professionals.

And lo-fi isn't shitty and if that's the whole reason you think OAI is bad, that's pretty stupid
>>
>>65656882
No, I listened because I was kind of getting obsessed with The Music Tapes and The Olivia Tremor Control and I knew that Major Organ and The Adding Machine was E6 so I just listened. It was a long time ago.

I guess I just assumed that Jeff was more heavily involved because of his vocals, I never really read up on the album
>>
>>65656273
You should check out their box set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQSdpoI42hs
>>
File: Hallowed Ground.gif (123 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
Hallowed Ground.gif
123 KB, 450x450
>more whiny vocals
>more folk punk
>more jesus christ
>actually good

you'll love this op
>>
File: illinois.jpg (71 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
illinois.jpg
71 KB, 500x499
Illinoise - Sufjan Stevens reminds me of this album
Indie Pop stuff with slight folksy influence that likes to dabble with lots of different instruments and be incredibly mellodramatic. The only difference is ITAOS is lofi where Illinoise isn't.

Also, check out the album "It's All Crazy, It's All False, It's All a Dream, It's Alright" by mewithoutyou. It sounds VERY similar to ITAOS but with lyrics replaced with "muh jeebus" and parables
>>
>>65656273
Anything from AJJ

They're shit but so is NMH
>>
>65656565
>>
>>65656565
>>
>>65656649
K
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.