[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
im a new kid in reference to stoner/desert rock i am, however,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: cover.jpg (41 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
41 KB, 500x500
im a new kid in reference to stoner/desert rock
i am, however, loving it. i want to know what the best in the genre is. any recommendations or sharing would be immensely appreciated.

also, i was told kyuss essentially was the start of desert rock in general, & by extension a massive influence on stoner rock. is that true? is there anything thats TRULY desert rock that didnt start with them? if i sound ignorant, i am. im not trying to bait, im curious.

did they get better as Queens Of The Stone Age, or worse? where do i go from here? i like kyuss' more open, twangy, tracks, like Space Cadet. are there bands that carried more of that specifically?

teach me your ways
>>
QOTSA is a great band and there's lots of debate over which albums are better but it's generally agreed that they don't have any "bad" albums

beloved bands include

>Electric Wizard
>Sleep
>Melvins (sometimes)
>Clutch
>The Atomic Bitchwax
>Boris
>Fu Manchu
>Monster Magnet
>Paranoid through Vol. 4-era Black Sabbath

have fun
>>
>>64635368
thanks man. im getting that impression about them. how big am influence were they, do you think? did they change anything or were they just going with the flow?
>>
>>64635493
they were one of the original desert rock bands for sure, Josh Homme was pioneering heavyness by playing guitars in drop C tuning through bass amps
>>
>>64635276
Besides other anon's recs, listen to the new Gnaw Their Tongues/Dragger Into Sunlight - NV

It'll really knock your socks off
>>
>>64635570
cool, ill have to pay attention to their stuff

also holy hell, thanks for the recs, all amazing

>>64635608
you da man

is there a rundown on the history of the whole scene somewhere, so i can stop bugging you guys? i mean i dont think looking this up on wikipedia is the way to go
>>
you might dig this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S82gMcUbpB8
>>
>>64635869
http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2012/06/history-of-doom-stoner-rock
>>
>>64635276
>is there anything thats TRULY desert rock that didnt start with them?
Yawning Man and Across the River are the actual start of desert rock, and both were huge influences on Kyuss.
>>
My favorite desert rock band is Yawning Man. As for stoner, I'd recommend Ufomammut, Orchid, Electric Wizard, Bongripper, The Mushroom River Band and Sleep.
>>
JEFF The Brotherhood is great I saw them live, their frontman is a Sasquatch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3cx8scXgU0
>>
Check out the documentary Such Hawks Such Hounds for more info on this type of music, you're sure to discover something you like.
>>
>>64635928
i did & do, thank you

>>64635929
you angel on earth

>>64635932
got it. ill make sure to get their stuff.

>>64635961
will look up

>>64635991
damned nice, thanks.

>>64636085
y'all have been a great help. this is fantastic, thank you
>>
Desert sessions
>>
>>64635276

my favs

Fuzz
Nebula
Rotor
The Sword
The Machine
Dead Meadow
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.