[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/metal/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: le boring album.jpg (49 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
le boring album.jpg
49 KB, 480x480
Happy anniversary edition

Old: >>64331132

http://pastebin.com/mH6Kx32L
>>
trve animetal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBfypZyxJO0
>>
boring
>>
File: Summoning-OldMorningsDawn-Cover.jpg (135 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
Summoning-OldMorningsDawn-Cover.jpg
135 KB, 620x620
>>64341233
Posting a masterpiece
>>
>implying Neurosis aren't the heaviest of all atmo sludge bands
>>
>>64341243
venom was never good
>>
File: life-cycle-myth-ritual-ep.jpg (244 KB, 786x800) Image search: [Google]
life-cycle-myth-ritual-ep.jpg
244 KB, 786x800
>>64341233
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa2AHleCzWI

If you can imagine The Poison Girls spending their days listening to Celtic Frost and Deviated Instinct before getting stuck in a k-hole, you'd be getting much closer to describing Life Cycle. Feminism was hardly a foreign concept to Britain's Anarchopunk movement, but rarely had any band been so inspired to make it sound heavy. Life Cycle's brand of Crust sounded very distinct even for its day. Full of droning, menacing riffs which rumble along at a sludgy mid-tempo, Life Cycle's debut EP "Myth & Ritual" stands out as one of Anarchopunk's best kept secrets.

Unlike the infantile "kill all rapists" or insufferable self-pitying "woe is me" plaguing virtually every artform branded "feminist", each song has its own identifiable persona with very personal motifs that still sound reflective, introspective and tastefully subtle. Printed on the interior is an essay from bassist, vocalist and songwriter Marie Sheard elaborating on sexism, society and gender roles. She's obviously read her share of Germaine Greer and Laura Mulvey, admitting as much on the following EP's essay found in "The Weight of Tradition" and interweaving the male gaze and neo-Freudian poststructuralism in the lyrics. Agree or disagree with her views, the sincerity and conviction can be felt and appreciated by the listener.
>>
>>64341291
not their best, but also definitely not their worst.
I just wish they had left out those corny narrators/choirs
>>
>>64341295
Tempel
>>
hi everyone
>>
File: life-cycle-myth-ritual-interior.jpg (236 KB, 794x800) Image search: [Google]
life-cycle-myth-ritual-interior.jpg
236 KB, 794x800
Punk sensibilities in hand, the band establishes an exceptional Metal platform full of gritty rhythms. The production is fittingly murky and dirty yet all very powerful and dense, affecting how virtually every instrument sounds. The riffs sound droning and dirty which stay from slow to midpaced, but not so that they sound monotonous or gratingly dirge like. The band will jam on a riff for a while then sidewind you with something as unexpected as it is groovy. Occasionally, they'll belt out a chaotic solo, but its lack of polish suits the established soundscape. It's quite obvious they listened to "Morbid Tales", but they still manage to be fresh and not horribly derivative like the vast majority of the genre.

Another distinctive feature is the dueling vocals from Marie and the guitarist Neil Morgan. Marie's shouted vocals are loud enough to be heard through the chaos but with enough restraint to keep her from squealing obnoxiously. Neil, on the other hand, churls out throaty, harsh rasps quite reminiscent of Hellbastard's Scruff, keeping the overwhelming grittiness in line. Both of them keep a balance so it doesn't sound dissonant within the dissonance.

It's a shame the band couldn't do an encore performance for the follow up "The Weight of Tradition", which pales in comparison to this monument of oppressive crust. A live bootleg split would feature all three songs as well as some which never made the studio. Worth listening to just to hear the audience banter among themselves.

The band has now since moved on with their lives. Allegedly, Marie Sheard has since become a school teacher and has a daughter who enjoys Harry Potter
>>
>>64341291
A lot of the songs on that album get worse as they go along. Neither the best nor the worst Summoning album
>>
>>64341295
I really dislike the grunting vocals, why can't they use normal growls
>>
>>64341398
>wanting neurosis to be even more boring
>>
>>64341398
Because they have a hardcore punk background.
>>
>>64341295
as heavy as a starving ethiopian turd
>>
What are some more gook cartoons that have heavy metal in its plot, besides Detroit Metal City?
>>
>>64341435
your mom is boring
>>
File: wew.png (50 KB, 181x171) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
50 KB, 181x171
>>64341456
Kachou Ouji

>Oji Tanaka has a wife, a child and a mundane job as a salary man in Tokyo's modern society. But life wasn't dull for him to begin with; 15 years ago, he was known as "Gabriel", leader of a short-lived heavy metal band called Black Heaven. Oji's life gets a sudden change in direction when he is invited by a mysterious blonde woman named Layla to pick up his Gibson Flying V and once again display his "legendary" guitar skills, not knowing that his music generates power for a massive weapon in an intergalactic war.
>>
So, it's snowing here again. Music for this feel?
>>
>>64341493
paysage d'hiver
>>
>>64341493
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLYoJgbybes
>>
>>64341295
>>64341233
Delete this.

>atmosludge
>any semblance of heaviness

>>64341357
Tempel is the go-to band for atmoshitters to "prove" atmosludge isn't garbage. It doesn't work.
>>
>>64341614
Stop shitting up this thread cancer
>>
>>64341614
thank you for shitting up this thread
>>
File: cant burst the durst.jpg (30 KB, 600x347) Image search: [Google]
cant burst the durst.jpg
30 KB, 600x347
What are the criteria for something being a "hipster" metal band? Because I'm pretty sure there are people with very different ideas about what makes a band hipster.
>>
>>64341614
hippie killer is p heavy
>>
>>64341667
If p4k likes them
If they have atmosphere
If they try to be experimental
>>
>>64341688
See now I would say p4k liking a band doesn't matter. The band themselves have to be hipsters, and atmosphere and experimental can be done in a non-hipster way
>>
>neurosis OP
Kill yourself.

People who don't like atmoshit should migrate right now.
>>64341728
>>64341728
>>64341728
>>64341728
>>64341728
>>64341728
>>
>>64341667
a band offensively trying to press a sophisticated, intellectual image that differs from the mainstream, while at the same time failing to be actually unique by catering to an already established subculture.
>>
So is melodeath hipster genre or not?

I could imagine some hipsters liking Be'lakor, Insomnium, At the Gates or Eucharist, but definitely not Amon Amarth, Scar Symmetry or Kalmah
>>
>>64341747
I don't like any grunge + harsh vocals, atmospheric or not
>>
>>64341747
yeah buddy, we're going, wait us there
>>
>>64341688
>if they try to be experimental

'no'

hipster shit is just atmoshit and pseudo-intellectual garbage that coasts more on image or non-metal than metal.

saying experimental is hipster means that you might as well say half of the entire metal genre is hipster.
>>
>>64341772
Can you give me some examples? Preferably not the obvious ones.
>>
>>64341783
I don't know
I've seen people calling even Meshuggah and tool hipster
>>
>>64341747
Wew
and people say atmofags are cancer
>>
>>64341887
Pitchfork likes both, so they are.
>>
>>64341783
It's certainly a normie genre.
>>
Stop responding to other idiots thread

>>64341928
>Pitchfork likes Tool
What
They gave Lateralus 1.9
>>
>>64341803
well I'm not interested in that type of bands so I don't know much aside the obvious ones (which I guess contain Deafheaven, Liturgy and Myrkur).
there aren't even that many bands I'd consider 'hipster', but I guess most guys here would define that by the audience of the bands anyway
>>
>>64341928
>>64341952
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/8104-lateralus/
>>
>>64341935
Are normies worse than hipsters?
>>
>>64341887
nonsense, tool is as normie as it can gets
>>
>>64341954
Liturgy is fairly unique and is genuinely experimental.
>>
>>64341954
>but I guess most guys here would define that by the audience of the bands anyway
The kind of audience reflects on the quality of the band.
>>
>>64341996
I guess all metal bands are shit then
>>
>>64341969
>I take Tool about as seriously as I do black metal or Lil Jon or the films of Tsui Hark. Which is to say, not very.

haha oh wow
>>
>>64341994
Liturgy is experimental for the sake of being experimental
>>
>>64342007
well yeah we all know that
>>
>>64341996
yeah by that argument every band we like is a terrible awful garbage band

>>64342016
That's still being experimental.
>>
File: fug.png (455 KB, 1328x627) Image search: [Google]
fug.png
455 KB, 1328x627
I thought Iron Maiden was metal
What went wrong?
This is apple music, not my own library
>>
>>64341994
>a band offensively trying to press a sophisticated, intellectual image
this point weighs heavily in liturgy's case tho
>>
the other thread's a meme shitpost thread. post fun thrash and speed metal lads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na6A4MnC2Po
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80QhlaC6Tr4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTrDwk_WqDU
>>
>>64342016
Well yes, and I wont deny that as a result it's a goddamn incomprehensible mess of memes, but that doesn't take away the fact that it's still genuinely experimental. IMO it failed, but still.
>>
>>64342040
>What went wrong?
You used Apple music
>>
>>64342055
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QgIeKnLuGE
>>
>>64342046
Definitely, and there's more image than their experimentation warrants, but they did experiment and try new things. Greg Fox, the drummer, is in a lot of other amazing projects. It's really just HHH pushing the hipster part.
>>
YOUU ARE BEWIITCHED
>>
>>64342071
It's better than spotify desu and I don't want to hunt around russian trackers for FLAC files or at least 320kbps
>>
File: slow deep and hard.jpg (30 KB, 548x308) Image search: [Google]
slow deep and hard.jpg
30 KB, 548x308
>>64341969
After two years of legal fights, Tool returned with Lateralus (Volcano Entertainment, 2001), which stood as both their most experimental and their most visceral album: convoluted counterpoint, ethnic nuances, gothic atmospheres, stately solos. More importantly, Tool had finally mastered the art of the lengthy suite.
Guitarist Adam Jones, vocalist Maynard James Keenan, bassist Justin Chancellor and, best of all, drummer Danny Carey, one of modern rock's true virtuosi refined the album's songs to manic levels.
Most tracks are actually multi-part suites, each movement preparing and defining the next one, in the tradition of a praxis made popular by 1970s' progressive-rock (King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator). Thus, the dimensions are monumental, epic, apocalyptic. The eight minute The Grudge (tribal beat, vocal metamorphoses, burning blues guitar), the eight-minute Ticks and Leeches (frantic neurosis, expressionist shouting, quiet strumming, stormy reprise) and the nine-minute Lateralus (martial crescendo, drums and vocals dueting alone, cathartic guitar solo, hushed meditation, raga-like sidereal guitar solo, noisy tense ending) are mini-operas that search the bottom of the soul for active volcanos of passion.
Some of these songs are Freudian sessions that elicit all possible interior demons: Parabol/ Parabola (an Indian-psychedelic lament followed by the album's most virulent riff), The Patient (that starts slow and then soars hymn-like), Schism (Middle-Eastern melody, crashing instrumental crescendos), and finally the almost sacred triptych of Disposition (a subdued meditation with tabla), Reflection (eleven minutes of Middle-Eastern and Indian dances) and Triad (a supersonic and haunting post-Hendrixian instrumental), each of the three songs digging an emotional black hole for the next one to sink into.
This is an imposing, awe-inspiring achievement.

7.5/10
>>
>>64342055
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLuFFtrevCw
>>
>>64342115
using rutracker is easy af
>>
>>64342055
>whiplash
>sex virgin killer

Godly taste my nigger.
>>
>>64342156
>Godly taste
it's pretty common taste here lad. still great bands regardless
>>
Thoughts on new Be'lakor track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izaxvm9dK_k
>>
>>64342086
I would argue that in the hipster subculture experimetation is part of the norm, and therefor Liturgy fails to be unique under that perspective.

But I would also argue that, following this, being unique is actually not possible within that subculture
>>
File: Overkill.jpg (189 KB, 1000x997) Image search: [Google]
Overkill.jpg
189 KB, 1000x997
Blues metal
>>
>>64342185
Oh, I wouldn't know since I only started posting in /metal/ yesterday. I just collect a lot of speed metal and thrash metal and haven't really seen Whiplash get talked about as often compared to other early thrash metal bands wherever I go, and I've never met another person who's known about Sex Virgin Killer.
>>
>>64342115
soundpark.space is pretty good for finding new records
>>
>>64342201
>Napalm Records
just why
>>
>>64342213
Oh, Liturgy is definitely unique, no other band is that autistic
>>
File: smug triangle.png (26 KB, 311x262) Image search: [Google]
smug triangle.png
26 KB, 311x262
>>64342228
>I've never met another person who's; known about Sex Virgin Killer
they get posted whenever people ask to bring up good riffs lad
>>
>>64341291
Boring and uninspired black metal. If you even could call this bullshit black metal, not like it has any similarities to the first second wave band except for screeching vocals.
>>
>>64342213
But that makes no sense. First of all, it's very debatable that experimentation is the norm under a hipster subculture, and second it's not like they're all experimenting in the same way. Liturgy is doing something very different compared to other bands that we call hipster.
>>
>>64342156
Damn, that actually rhymes
>>
File: thinking teacup foot.jpg (8 KB, 261x216) Image search: [Google]
thinking teacup foot.jpg
8 KB, 261x216
>>64341974
That's a difficult question. I think I'd prefer normies over hipsters in many, but not all, cases. By exception, you do get some cancerous normies and some chill hipsters.
It can be impossible to discuss music with either, though, because the normie has no opinion, and the hipster has a shallow and/or contrarian one.
>>
Talk about anniversaries, this little gem is turning 10 years old this year. Where did the fucking time go man.

Predictions for the upcoming album they just finished recording?
>>
>>64342314
They said it's gonna be different, so I guess that's a good thing since they've been getting a bit stale.

Also is it just me, or did people start to hate on Insomnium recently?
>>
>>64342347
Well, the image related above was kind of their last truly great release. Everything that followed was watered down, simplified, post-rock-atmoshit-influenced guitarpro tier garbage tbqh.
>>
>>64342314
>Ashes Against the Grain
>Somewhere Along the Highway
>Om
>Blood in Our Wells)
>Monotheist
>Watching From a Distance
>Above the Weeping World
>In the Absence of Truth
>Oath Bound

2006 was truly a great year for atmo shit
>>
>>64342374
I liked Across the Dark
>>
this is now melomeal thread

>that lead guitar after the acoustic intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtMGhztsDWI
>>
>>64342399
>missing the best 2006 albums
Katharsis - VVorld VVithout End
WITTR - Diadem Of 12 Stars
Warhammer 48K - An Ethereal Oracle
Ruins of Beverast - Rain Upon The Impure
>>
>>64342374
one for sorrow is catchy af tho
>>
File: 2009.jpg (122 KB, 701x700) Image search: [Google]
2009.jpg
122 KB, 701x700
>>64342455
Currently listening to Be'lakor, not sure of I get the hype
>>
>>64342498
Stone's reach gets better after the third song on the album. Overrated band though, all their songs sound the same. You could literally swap entire sections between songs and not even feel that flow was disrupted.
>>
>>64342480
>Diadem Of 12 Stars
I wish they'd rerelease that one
>>
not sure how I feel about this lads
>>
>>64342595
Leave it to the best melodeath band with a 25 years long career to use $50 Behringer guitar preamps.
>>
>>64342595
I don't really think they are able to disappoint
>>
>>64342201
aw yiss
>>
>>64341493
Romania?
>>
>>64342498
Just listen to Countless Skies and you will get it.
>>
>>64342455
>this is now a melomeal thread
I don't really get what you guys see in insomnium, they never really made anything better than the early melodeath bands of the 90s
btw this is GOAT song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2zRhU-f2Qs
>>
>>64342455
Well then let's talk Mgla.

Pitchfork is right, they are one of the best black metal bands currently playing, and I think you guys are just all being the edgy contrarian fags you always are. Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>64342731
wew lad
>>
>>64342693
Why are Greeks so good at mid paced metals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRo6BI_21Jo
>>
>>64342595
Is that guy in the middle supposed to replace Henrikkson?
>>
>>64342731
Literally picked some random no-name literal WHO band I had in my backlog but never listened, instantly much better than mgla https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdgeM38MIEY
>>
File: InFlames.jpg (77 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
InFlames.jpg
77 KB, 620x400
>In Flames are releasing new album as well
How far down the hole will they go?
>>
>>64342753
No, that's the bass player now. He was the original member of In Flames and is the brother of their bass player.

The dude who is next to Stanne is a tour guitar player. No official new member.
>>
File: right back atcha buddy.gif (174 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
right back atcha buddy.gif
174 KB, 300x300
>>64342745
>>64342778
>never listened,
>much better than mgla
obvious flaw in that logic
>>
>>64342819
well for one it sounds more interesting and has better riffs than anything mgla ever recorded
>>
>>64342785
I don't think they quite grasp the scale of how much of a colossal fuck up that last record was.
>>
>>64342731
yes, mgla is good. but not as good as the media makes them look like.
which is a shame, really.
overhyping stuff never does anything good
>>
>>64342835
The riffs are even more derivative than people claim mgla's are, just of a different subgenre of black metal. And "interesting"? That's poorly defined at best.
>>
>>64342842
I still think it wasn't that bad comapred to STYE where they tried to ape nu-,etal
>>
>truckfighters releasing a live 3xLP and CD set
HOO BOY
>>
>>64342835
not that I would give a fuck,
but I don't think the quality of a riff is that objective
>>
>>64342863
Sure, that's a given, everything gets overhyped, but when things get hyped this general automatically rejects them wit little basis.

I would not be surprised to see a huge influx of this general liking tool because pitchfork gave lateralus a 1.9
>>
In Flames and DT are like Metallica and Megadeth of melodeath

They both used to share members, they both released good albums at first, but only one band is still good
>>
>>64342906
>only one band is still good
kek
fucking repentless was better than any other big four album released recently and repentless was awful
>>
>new Katatonia, In Mourning and Dark Tranquillity within a month or two

I just want a month of rain and overcast lads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex8ufngkKrA

>dat Edge of Sanity production
>>
>>64342922
nah, to claim repentless was better than the new megadeth is straight up retarded
>>
>>64342906
Except DT never made a major fuck up like Risk and Supercollider
>>
more like in korn amirite?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d1pRlRxkJw
>>
>>64342959
This. DT's one and only bad album was We Are the Void, and even that was not straight but but just mediocre as fuck.
>>
>>64342937
Repentless was a least half decent material and in keeping with Slayer. The megadeth proved that mustaine has lost it completely. The guitarist he brought in was the best part and that was only a few enjoyable riffs. The entire thing was fucking subpar and one of the worst megadeth albums to date.
>>
File: 1414279010157.png (67 KB, 233x232) Image search: [Google]
1414279010157.png
67 KB, 233x232
POST RED FLAGS

>his favorite band is Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Tool, Opeth, Dream Theater, Dragonforce, Slipknot, or Pantera
>>
>>64342969
It's shit even as a buttmetal track, that thumbnail is my reaction when I first heard it when I was 14 years old
>>
File: jeppe.jpg (81 KB, 435x526) Image search: [Google]
jeppe.jpg
81 KB, 435x526
>you will never get drunk with Jesper as he tries to explain to you things in slurring swedish about how gay his ex band became
>>
>>64343029
>>
>>64342979
even that is debatable, We Are The Void is one of my favourites. I'd say Character is their worst
>>
>>64342994
>avoids megadeth conspicuously
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_vChMzOdqo

System - 00:52 Pinball Map - 04:40 Episode 666 - 09:45 Bullet Ride - 13:23 Embody the Invisible - 18:11 Moonshield - 22:08 Cloud Connected - 26:39 Clayman - 30:50 Clad in Shadows - 34:40 Food for the Gods - 37:45 Reroute to Remain - 41:57 Trigger - 46:30 Drifter - 51:21 Square Nothing - 55:20 Gyroscope - 59:30 Only for the Weak - 1:03:04 Behind Space - 1:07:53 Ordinary Story - 1:12:30 Black & White - 1:16:45 Colony - 1:20:38
>>
What is Megadeth's best album and worst album, and what would you rate them?

I want to see the spectrum of Megadeth
>>
>>64343052
Mainly because they have the least cancerous fan base, and Dave is/was more skilled than any one else in the big 4.
>>
>>64343048
Dude half of Character are their greatest hits that are in the setlist even today.
>>
>>64343069
Best are Rust in Peace and Peace Sells.
Worst are Super Collider and Risk.
>>
>>64343060
>even 15 years ago half of their set list was cancer
>>
Are we talking about Memeless ?
>>
>>64343070
Dave is a fine guitarist but he can't write songs for shit. Riffs he can write, but when it comes to getting a harmonious cohesive piece of music he is garbage, and that is where Metallica kicks his fucking ass. Also singing.
>>
>>64343130
>thrash metal
>any kind of harmony

Entire fucking genre is based on musical/theoretical illiteracy and using as few notes as possible
>>
Post albums that turn on your poser-disposer mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVsuFQnAHmo
>>
>>64343130
Megadeth has riffs.
Metallica has transitions/harmonies.
Slayer has the heaviness.
What the fuck does Anthrax have?
>>
>>64343086
dunno man, that album didn't have any memorable moments for me at all.
just wasn't my thing I guess
>>
>>64343161
autism
>>
>>64343161
Nothing, honestly.

>>64343155
Oh, so you have no idea what you're talking about. Okay, that makes sense. Bye now.
>>
>>64343155
>Source: My literal ass
>>
>>64343161
anthrax is literally white trash metal
>>
>>64343161
They have rap metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So0p8tTiCLk
>>
>>64343155
Just because Vektor and Black Fast do this doesn't mean it's normal.
>>
>>64343229
What Vektor does is the exact extreme opposite, they use all the fucking notes. Its chromaticcore.
>>
New Schammasch just leaked
>>
>>64343268
well it's out in 4 days anyway so I'm just gonna wait for the official thing
>>
why are thrash plebs so fucking insecure? they get all booty blastered whenever someone says something to that they dont like
>>
>>64343319
did anything like that even happen in this thread?
>>
What are some shitty cringe-inducing bands nowadays that used to be legitimately decent back in their day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WAwU4uduCE
>>
>>64343319
>a little thrash discussion and a few disagreements
>GOD YOU THRASHKEKS ARE SO SENSITIVE
Calm the fuck down, retard.
>>
>>64343319
you're the only one who sounds booty blasted.
>>
>>64343319
I really don't think it's the fault of the genre m8.
the thrash guys were nice in this thread so far.
you, on the other hand...
>>
>>64343347
So you have not listened to The Singularity? Because it's amazing.
Unseen Empire does kind of suck.
>>
>>64343355
literally how new? every single thread:

>muh thrashcore
>muh hardcore didnt influence thrash metal!!!111
>>
>>64343347
But they were proge from the start right?
That vocalist wrote some catchy stuff though
>>
>>64343385
both memes you braindead mongoloid
>>
>>64343385
When has that happened in this thread, or the last two?
>>
File: 1343018221032.jpg (5 KB, 158x164) Image search: [Google]
1343018221032.jpg
5 KB, 158x164
>>64343268
>3 CD
>>
>>64342314
Just listened to this, I like the lyrics but the music is not half as good as I thought it would be, all the songs kinda blend into each other too much
>>
>>64343418
So it's like the newest Swallow the Sun album.

Anyone listen to that? Was it all just filler like we assumed?
>>
EPOTY COMING THROUGH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=899iXVootEw
>>
Why does/metal/hate atmoshit so much when its just as good as any other metal subgenre.
>>
>>64343436
The first 2 cds were average, but the 3rd was the best material they've released yet.
>>
>>64343431
>all the songs kinda blend into each other too much
how is that a bad thing
>>
>>64343431
That's pretty odd but I respect your opinion. Did you listen to it in its entirety? Because it starts as a very catchy modern mdm, only to go doomy on the middle and proggy in the last third of the album. Best intro track in metal by far. What I like is that pretty much every song does the typical structure in the first halves, only for the latter half of the song to go full atmoshit but in a good way.

https://youtu.be/7u-a-WVO6FM?t=4m24s
>>
>>64343474
I like the idea of atmoshit. Particularly good atmoblack. I just haven't found any that really keeps my interest.
>>
>>64343474
it's just a bunch of brainless memesters m8. probably about 10 people max.
>>
>>64342731
>>64342778
>>64342863
Mgla was originally a side-project. Kriegsmachine was supposed to be the 'main band' while Mgla was an outlet for less explicitly Satanic music for them, which is also more accessible; not surprising really then that Mgla got more popular. Their fame in the BM world certainly could have happened to a worse band, Darkside is the best drummer in black metal right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iY5RxusESg
>>
>>64343474
It's about as good as deathcore, like 10 good bands at max
>>
>>64343478
Forgettable

>>64343491
Yea I did, I see what you mean there's a lot going on, I'mma give it a listen again I feel like I'm misjudging it by giving it only one listen
>>
>>64343491
And that song was indeed my favorite
>>
>>64343514
kriegsmaschine is a bit too noisy for my tastes tbqh.
as far as polish bm goes my favourites are definitely Furia and MasseMord
>>
>>64343561
Let me just say that it is by far their best album. If you don't end up liking it, don't even bother with the newer ones. Second runner is Since the Day It All Came Down, its predecessor. Its basically almost as high as ATWW in terms of quality but production is obviously worse and more dry. On the upside, it's more proggy in terms of arrangements, it has a lot more acoustic passages, its less modern in style and has a lot of chords they borrowed from Opeth. Darker sounding for sure.

First album is also great but its basically Amorphis worship.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/10046632
>>
>>64343629
Well it fucking depends doesn't it
>>
>>64343119
these guys should just stick to writing clean guitar parts
>>
>>64343629
Not that many of us can actually play instruments, although there are some, and there are a a lot of different styles of both genres with varying difficulty.

This is a dumb poll that will probably just start arguments.
>>
>>64343668
Its really not dumb. Black metal is probably technique-wise the easiest genre of metal to play. Not even hating.
>>
>>64343629
death metal is so much easier to sing to so I guess that counts.
>>
File: polish dog.jpg (31 KB, 463x573) Image search: [Google]
polish dog.jpg
31 KB, 463x573
>>64343582
>Furia and MasseMord

my negro
>>
>>64343629
Retarded poll is retarded, but I got time to lose.

Unless black isn't something like Ved Buens Ende, the answer will almost always be death metal.
>>
>>64343686
it is, that's why it's the best
>>
>>64343668
plus how lazily can you play while something is still death or black
you could play the worst, technically incompetent riffs and growl and it's still death metal, and you can do the same for black metal
>>
>>64343629
0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
vs
>>
>>64343607
Thanks for the tips my man, I'll keep it in my mind if I decide to go deeper
>>
>>64343686
tremolo picking is actually kinda hard. Regular heavy metal or doom would be easier just because of the constant power chords
>>
File: a4129076114_10.jpg (437 KB, 752x758) Image search: [Google]
a4129076114_10.jpg
437 KB, 752x758
YAUTJA. Very underrated metal band. Just got to see them play live with Magrudergrind and was blown away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lL7aMRJGZ4
>>
>>64343785
Also to OP, Yautja has a lot of influence from Neurosis. Neurosis is amazing OP.

>>64341233
<3
>>
>>64343774
Its really not hard at all dude. I am a shit bass player and I can still tremolo pick for an hour. They key is to absolutely relax your hand and let your index and thumb do all the work. Its almost as an voluntary spasm of sort. Doesnt hurt or use stamina at all.
>>
>tfw you will never be in a band
>>
>>64343694
How do you figure that?
>>
File: doogie.jpg (19 KB, 279x288) Image search: [Google]
doogie.jpg
19 KB, 279x288
>>64343834
because I sing to both black and death metal.
>>
>>64343868
okay, but what is your actual argument that death is easier.
>>
>>64343832
You should be glad. Shit times to good times in a band is aprox 95% to 5%.

I genuinely don't think you can begin to imagine how retarded and flaky people who decide to pick up an instrument usually are. Let alone organizing said people.
>>
>>64343880
There is nothing to argue because you can't argue against personal experience
>>
>>64343712
when will this meme end? this is ancient anti-metal bullshit
>>
>>64343832
>in a band at school
>only person trying to do shit, never organised
>vocalist who had most of the songwriting was happy just churning out whiny shit over and over
>played one sort of gig, went terribly, got some applause from mates and that's it

It's only worth it if you're just doing it for shit and giggles, rather than just trying to force yourselves to be a band.
>>
>>64343894
When I was in bands I made it clear that we practice first and have fun later because otherwise they'd just fuck around the whole practice.
>>
>>64343901
I'm not arguing with you. I would need you to give me a argument to do that. I just want to hear your line of thought, your reasoning, to how death growling is easier than black metal vocals.
If you can't at least give me a reason, I'm going to have to assume this is bullshit.
>>
File: slep.jpg (140 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
slep.jpg
140 KB, 425x282
>Mgwa
>no tremolo picking
>no blast beats
>every song is either medium or slow tempo
ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
>>
>>64343894
>>64343940
This is why one of the first steps in forming a band is finding better people to form a band with. You need to be with the right people for the band, not people around you that you like outside of the band but aren't a good fit.
>>
>>64343957
It's just that the songs are easier to learn for death metal singing because it's not constant screeching like black metal. Plus growling is super easy and I can do it for very long periods of time.
>>
>>64344018
Alright. Was that so hard?
>>
File: 1429301803350.png (611 KB, 699x699) Image search: [Google]
1429301803350.png
611 KB, 699x699
>>64343996
>Mgwa
>no tremolo picking
>>
>that feel when joined a semi-serious band for the first time ever in my 10 years of playing meal (other genres too)
>they have two albums released
>they have their own gear, PA, all things
>they actually have a van (suprisingly rare commodity)
>they are 30-somethings who want to gig every weekend

Sure, we get shitfaced and perform at roughly 70% capacity but hey such is life. Still feels nice after wasting my youth on degenerates.

>everyone canceling 5 minutes before the practice
>people not having gear
>people coming to practice without learning the material
>people insisting on writing songs on rehearsals
>people insisting on cringey shit
>people tuning on stage for the entire venue to listen
>people having shit stage presence
>people wearing shorts on stage
>vocalists announcing songs in growling voice for 8 people in front watching
>vocalists asking for fucking mosh pits two times within every single songs
>guitar players with cement feet

the list goes on dude. I could write a fucking memoir on shitty bandmates.
>>
>>64344036
yes because you made me type stuff for no reason.
>>
>>64344071
Not for no reason. I wanted to know, and I asked. It would have been much easier if you'd typed the answer the first time I asked.
>>
File: LVTHN.jpg (50 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
LVTHN.jpg
50 KB, 450x450
So, the dust having settled by down, which was better: pic related or Leviathan's 2015?
>>
>>64344063
>people insisting on cringey shit
my fucking nightmare
>>
>>64344119
that's no question, ofc the european Leviathan is better.
>>
>>64344063
>I could write a fucking memoir on shitty bandmates.
Do it. Everyone needs to learn not only what to do, but also what NOT to do. It sounds like you have at least enough for a worthwhile article at least.
>>
File: 1456601741813.jpg (67 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1456601741813.jpg
67 KB, 600x600
>>64344063
>vocalist won't stop cupping the mic
>>
How the fuck do you even pronounce Mgla?
I keep thinking "mih-glaah"
>>
>>64344202
mig-wah
amygdala
>>
>>64344202
"mediocre"
>>
>>64344202
M'gwah
>>
File: Screenshot_20160425-131031.jpg (238 KB, 1393x640) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160425-131031.jpg
238 KB, 1393x640
>>
>>64344257
All I got from Flesh Prevails is boring proge.
But I got Dreamless so I'll see if that's worth a shit.
>>
>>64344257
which part of this are you upset about
>>
>>64344141
I like the drums on lvthn better tho
>>
>>64344289
That horrible a-word.
>>
>>64344289
Pioneering
>>
>>64344305
just the fact that fallujah are atmospheric or do you think they aren't atmospheric or what

>>64344320
who would you say pioneered it
>>
>>64344289
metal
>>
>>64344141
Wait, there are two black metal bands named Leviathan?
>>
>>64344202
slav here

m-glah.
"a" as in "ouch"
silent h
>>
>>64344329
incantation is pretty atmopsheric. Same for horrified.
>>
>>64344329
No no, atmospheric is a bad word here.
So always use it.
>>
>>64344337
the one he posted is written LVTHN, but technically yes
>>
File: the city of metal bands.jpg (197 KB, 973x802) Image search: [Google]
the city of metal bands.jpg
197 KB, 973x802
>>64344337
>>
>>64344202
m'gwa
>>
>>64344329
Nocturnus, Septic Flesh, Horrified the list goes on.
>>
>>64344289
band
>>
dude
dude
psst
dude
psst
come on
dude
psst
power metal
lmao
>>
File: giphy.gif (2 MB, 444x333) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2 MB, 444x333
>>64344378
>>
>>64344371
>>64344406
Atmosphere had definitely been used in death metal and in those bands but I think Fallujah are amplifying it to the point where it's a subgenre.

That said I would definitely say Portal pioneered really atmospheric death metal on Seepia.
>>
>>64344435
I can't listen to Portal for more than 2 minutes straight but I'd love to see them live. That is some eerie atmoshit.
>>
>>64343474
atmosludge is unsalvageable garbage
atmoblack has a few bands that are/were actually good

its mostly shit tho
>>
>>64344495
Generally I would agree but Neurosis is better than most if not all atmoblack bands I've heard.
>>
>>64344495
fuck you buddy, isis and neurosis are better than 90% of metal bands
>>
File: thepresident.jpg (40 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
thepresident.jpg
40 KB, 320x320
>>64344528
this poster is a fucking terrorist who hates america disregard his opinion
>>
>>64344495
atmosludge is only good if combined with hardcore.
atmoblack is one of the best genres tho.
(it's still mostly shit but honestly every genre is)
>>
>>64344528
>isis
>good
lol?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV4EDo3y83E
>le atmosludge is good meme
>>
>>64344495
Tides, Celeste, Cough and SFFS>Memecest, blut meme nord, memeheaven, and memenut
>>
File: Relics of a Dark Star.jpg (51 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Relics of a Dark Star.jpg
51 KB, 350x350
Alien Crucifixion-Relics of a Dark Star

>Cybergrind

>band that claims to have been kidnapped by aliens and tries to create a suitable atmosphere to said incident

https://aliencrucifixion.bandcamp.com

tear da thread up, lads
>>
File: 1453434280992.jpg (63 KB, 586x709) Image search: [Google]
1453434280992.jpg
63 KB, 586x709
there is nothing wrong about melo such as old mans child, dimmu borgir, in flames, soilwork, babymetal,
>>
>>64344587
>atmoblack is one of the best genres tho.
>(it's still mostly shit but honestly every genre is)
So I guess newfags only like it, nope if you explored the sub-genres of metal properly you'd know that the good to bad ratio in atmoblack is akin to djent
>>
>>64344610
>implying ISIS the band is bad
>implying Panopticon and Oceanic aren't better than 97.5% of any metal albums released in the 21st century
>>
>>64344645
goddamnit you're dense m8.
I've already been through all the metal genres.
we like different things, get over it.
>>
>>64344639
>memmu borgir
>meme flames
>memeymetal
>memework
>>
give me more catchy glamthrash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYUJkg2SiZA
>>
File: why do you hate america.jpg (196 KB, 1584x1464) Image search: [Google]
why do you hate america.jpg
196 KB, 1584x1464
>>64344679
Panopticon and Oceanic aren't better than 97.5% of any metal albums released in the 21st century
>>
>>64344702
>i only listen to muh secret club bands
>>
>>64344683
Atmoblack having a high shit - good ratio is a basic accepted thing. The only people who disagree are people who blatantly hate all atmoshit and you
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.