[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
One of the most innovative and influential guitarists ever, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
File: hendrix.jpg (64 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
hendrix.jpg
64 KB, 1024x768
One of the most innovative and influential guitarists ever, but not actually a great song writer.

Your guys' thoughts?
>>
>>63858947
Gilmour.

Guy can make that strat sing, his phrasing is impeccable but the guy's writing skills are pretty sub par. See AMLOR.
>>
Of course...
>>
>>63858947
>>63859187
They were both great guitarists and writers. Who would you say is much better?
>>
>>63858947
what makes jimi better than other stunt guitarists is the fact that he's a great songwriter
>>
>>63858947
The Wind Cries Mary is a great song. Compare it to the sound of what everyone else was doing in '67.
>>
Great player, pales in comparison to Page in every aspect.
>>
His songs were fucking awesome and original.
>>
>>63859461
t. guy who's been playing guitar for 1 year
>>
Page was probably the best, his songwriting skills made him the best musician of the 70 along with Roger Waters
>>
>>63859187
>>63858947
agree with both
>>
>>63859648
>Page
>Songwriting skills
You know they stole the majority of their hits right?
I still think he's one of the best guitarists of all time though.
>>
I've got a question for you Hendrix fans. The song Voodoo Child, and the opening riff, what was the precedence for making that kind of sound with a guitar? Where did he even get the idea for playing like that?
>>
>>63859740
you know that Led Zeppelin has 6 good albums and not just some hits?
>>
>>63859587
original and awesome, but do they stand the test of time like Led Zeppelin's music does?
>>
>>63859805
not like Led Zeppelin, but they are ok
>>
>>63859791
I know. I've been listening to Zeppelin for ~18 years. I just had to make the point. Still an incredible guitarist and writer.
>>
File: gilmour pepe.png (396 KB, 500x540) Image search: [Google]
gilmour pepe.png
396 KB, 500x540
>>63859187
>>
Led Zeppelin's originality is laughable in the face of Jimi's output. Especially considering that their heyday didn't come until years after his death and even then they were still ripping off blues and had three incredible musicians.
>>
>>63860172
good point... too bad jimi couldn't have stuck around longer
>>
>>63858947
Not true—people just don't give as much exposure to his best songs. Manic Depression, Stone Free, Voodoo Child (Slight Return), and like half the Bold as Love album (which was his best, but no one pays attention to it for some reason).
>>
>>63860634
>Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

oh please, every person on the fucking planet has heard this song before
>>
Probably my favorite guitarist next to Zappa
>>
>>63859765

>what was the precedence for making that kind of sound with a guitar

The wah pedal

>Where did he even get the idea for playing like that

Unique in that aspect, before Jimi got his hands (foot) on a wah, all anyone did with them was rock it back and forth to the beat, ala Clapton. Hendrix turned the wah pedal into a separate instrument.
>>
File: large.jpg (35 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
35 KB, 500x333
>slagging page for ripping off old blues farts and making that shit louder and using effects
>praises hendrix for ripping off old blues farts and making that shit louder and using effects
>>
>>63862343
Blues artists ripped each other off all the fucking time. What Page did with their shit was far greater than what anyone else had done before or since. It's literally a non-issue
>>
File: dad.jpg (215 KB, 780x390) Image search: [Google]
dad.jpg
215 KB, 780x390
there is no difference between what hendrix and page did with old blues shit you fuccboi
>>
what's the best hendrix album?
>>
>>63858947

great guitarist, terrible singer
>>
>>63862470

Band of Gypsys
>>
>>63862470

I like Hendrix in the West, personally
>>
>>63858947
Much better songwriter than a guitarist and singer tbqh family
>>
File: TerryKath.jpg (47 KB, 533x419) Image search: [Google]
TerryKath.jpg
47 KB, 533x419
This man was his better. Hendrix himself proclaimed it so.
>>
>>63859187
You know that songwriter /= lyricist, right?
>>
>>63861826
Did you even hear the solo on 'tales of brave Ulysses'?
>>
>>63859740
>You know they stole the majority of their hits right?
I love it when ignorant kids say this shit.
LZ had so many songs from lots of albums with so many good songs. Yeah, they ripped off a few and they got pretty big, but people act like they never had any other songs
>>
>>63866346
The only stole a few parts of some songs they didn't steal entire songs I don't think
>>
>>63862343
dumbfuck it's how you play guitar. You steal licks from the guys who made you want to play guitar in the first place. Hendrix's music blows Page's out of the water in literally every aspect.
>>
>>63863640
What is the go to Chicago album? I always assumed it was boring music.
>>
>>63866602
The silver one
>>
Partially right OP. He has a handful of songs that show good songwriting.
>>
>>63862381
>what Page did with their shit was far greater than what anyone else had done before or since

lol
>>
File: 51raKJrfR2L.jpg (54 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51raKJrfR2L.jpg
54 KB, 500x500
>>63866602
>>
>>63866602
it is boring ass music
that fag doesn't know what he's talking about
terry kath had ok chops, and he played gay music
he was also so fucking dumb he played russian roulette with an automatic pistol
(he lost)
>>
>>63859740
But they played that shit like nobody did. so yeah, the riffage is page all over it.
>>
>>63863640

He said he was one of his favorites. I don't recall Jimi saying he was better than him.
>>
>>63859740
literally 2 led zeppelin songs were stolen.
the lemon song and dazed and confused. kill yourself
>>
>>63869611
woah woah what's dazed and confused ripped from? it's one of my favorites.
>>
>>63858947
I'm kind of thrown off by that statement, OP. He was a great songwriter, what's not to like?

This guy said it perfectly >>63859294
>>
>>63869635
see here
>>63869566
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTsvs-pAGDc
>>
>>63858947
>>63859187
What? Hendrix and Gilmour are both great guitarists and songwriters. Listen to the solo from Time and tell me that isn't one of the most atmospheric solos ever. Hendrix completely redefined the electric guitar, not to mention timeless songs he wrote like Purple Haze.

>>63859648
You do realize Page ripped off many other musicians?
>>
>>63870054
>Hendrix completely redefined the electric guitar

how so?
>>
>>63870818
No one was really playing like he did before him. Music that followed after Hendrix's death you will find most guitarists will cite Hendrix as one of their main influences. Basically is there was no Hendrix music would have sounded a lot different to how it did in the 70s, 80s, 90s etc
>>
>>63871572
what specifically did he do that was so significant though, besides like play with the wah wah
>>
>>63871647
Listen to him play, playing a guitar like that had never really been done before. Not to mention he pioneered a lot of modern effects, like you mentioned wah wah. He also was one of the first to use thumb for on top to allow more dexterity on the higher strings
>>
>>63870818
By making it go WEWEW WEEWEWEWEWEWEW WEWEWEEWEWEWEEEEWW
>>
>>63871726
>>63871726
>>63871726
>playing a guitar like that had never really been done before
He just had more sustain, distortion and feedback to play with
>he pioneered a lot of modern effects
He didn't invent those effects
>He also was one of the first to use thumb for on top
Wrong

He was just there at the right time of technological advancement and got be be one of the first to play with new sounds and foot pedals
>>
>>63866190
Dude Tales of Brave Ulysses is literally "rocking the wah back and forth" the song
>>
>>63871788
You clearly don't understand

>He just had more sustain, distortion and feedback to play with
Yes but his playing style in general, without the feedback, distortion etc, was unique.

>he pioneered a lot of modern effects
No shit? I never claimed that, he pioneered the use of the effects into his own style

>He also was one of the first to use thumb for on top
One of the first, and of those few is easily the most influential. Name someone else who did it please?

>He was just there at the right time of technological advancement and got be be one of the first to play with new sounds and foot pedals
Wrong, his style was unique and technology (besides electric guitars) is irrelevant in his impact to music.
>>
>>63870818
Hendrix could have released absolutely nothing, played Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock, and promptly died right there on stage and he would still be the most important guitarist in rock history.
>>
>>63858947
Did he have a natural talent for music, /mu/?
>>
>>63868694
>Jimi Hendrix once told Parazaider, "Jeez, your horn players are like one set of lungs and your guitar player is better than me."
>>
>>63866346
allright, listen to this.
their biggest hit ever, stolen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8AVbwB_6E

this one is even better
>>
Mark Knopfler is the greatest guitar player of all time and a much better songwriter than Jimi. Hendrix is obviously incredible but he's not as well rounded as Knopfler.
>>
File: 1459643463527.jpg (33 KB, 483x390) Image search: [Google]
1459643463527.jpg
33 KB, 483x390
>>63868148
>By 1978, Kath was regularly carrying guns around and enjoyed playing with them.[38] Around 5 p.m. January 23, after a party at roadie and band technician Don Johnson's home in Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, California, Kath took an unloaded .38 revolver and put it to his head, pulling the trigger several times on the empty chambers. Johnson had warned Kath several times to be careful. Kath then picked up a semiautomatic 9 mm pistol and, leaning back in a chair, said to Johnson, "Don't worry about it ... look, the clip is not even in it."[34] To satisfy Johnson's concerns, Kath showed the empty magazine to Johnson. Kath then replaced the magazine in the gun, put the gun to his temple and pulled the trigger. However, there was a round in the chamber, and Kath died instantly.[34]
>>
>>63873533
you are fucking retarded. it sounds barely similar at all.

>>63873551
damn youre based as fuck anon
>>
>>63873551

He's under appreciated as fuck really, people probably only know that shitty riff from Money for Nothing, something he openly admits he hates nowadays. Communique and Dire Straits, Making Movies to a lesser degree...some of the greatest guitar work that has ever been recorded. Really under appreciated shit, especially Communique. That shit was their magnum opus if you ask me.
>>
File: i17Ef7f.jpg (158 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
i17Ef7f.jpg
158 KB, 1920x1080
One of the most innovative and influential memer ever, but not actually a great song writer.

Your guys' thoughts?
>>
Well he had a limited amount of time to put out material, and it seemed like he didn't put a ton of effort into all of his lyrics. But I wouldn't call him a bad songwriter. Hey Joe and Little Wing, for example, are both fantastic songs from a songwriter's pov. Lyrics weren't his strength, but he could write a memorable tune now and then.
>>
>>63873657
Thanks, friend.

>>63873693
Money for Nothing is probably one of the least enjoyable singles now but it fits right in to the album. I met Knopfler in a pub once. Just looks like a normal bloke. Acts like it too.
>>
>>63873784
>I met Knopfler in a pub once. Just looks like a normal bloke. Acts like it too.
damn that's awesome. greentext?

I agree he's the best guitarist ever. the solo on telegraph road has to be the best ever. and his control of the guitar to sound so proficient and awesome but still so clean is almost impossible to do. and singing at the same time. i dont know if I believe in talent but if anyone has it he does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEl7devfqdc
>>
>>63873848
Nothing much to say. He was enjoying his pint on his own and he really blends in. If you haven't seen any recent pictures of him he looks completely unremarkable in the best way. I spent a while deliberating whether to speak to him because he looked quite peaceful but I just thought I'd say hello and tell him I was a fan when I got my next drink.

Bought him a pint and said "that's for the hours of entertainment you've given me". His face lit up " Oh, thanks very much. That's very kind of you". I just said "I'll leave you in peace. It's nice to meet you". " Cheers, you too".

And that was that.
>>
>>63873908
awesome. what a guy
>>
Worse than Clapton in every single way. And Clapton can't write for shit, with exceptions.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.