[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i just want to talk about this album with someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 13
File: 71nFZNXN5ML._SL1300_.jpg (248 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
71nFZNXN5ML._SL1300_.jpg
248 KB, 1300x1300
i just want to talk about this album with someone
>>
trying to get my gf to listen to it, it's certainly a great album!

What's your favorite track?
>>
pick a better album then
>>
>>63650614
>>
>>63650607
as of right now it's Don't Talk
>>
I don't get it, I mean, it's catchy and nice and all but why is it considered a masterpiece
Explain please
>>
>>63650678
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Sounds#Retrospection_and_legacy
>>
>JS Bach masters counterpoint and puts a new way forward harmonically in western music
>rock journalists barely care

>brian Wilson writes some meme tunes in a studio
>greatest music of all time acc. to rock journalists
>>
>>63650747
Go to bed Scaruffi
>>
>>63650777
do you think Scaruffi cares about classical music?
>>
>>63650607
That's Not Me was my anthem when I moved out of my mom's house
>>
>>63650710
>I just wanna talk about this
>
I was doing it for you, if I wanted to look it up I would've had already
>>
>>63650747
Sorry, I was under the impression that rock and pop journalist concerned themselves with rock and pop music.
>>
>>63650838
Maybe they should at least acknowledge there's more music than rock and pop then.
>>
Pet Sounds > God Only Knows > That's Not Me > Wasn't Made For These Times > Wouldn't It Be Nice > the rest
>>
>>63650747
>Why don't hot dog vendors care about caviar?
>>
I fell in love with this album over the summer and have been consistently listening to The Beach Boys many great albums since. I love all the strings on this album, when the rest of the music falls away and you get to focus on their beautiful arrangements

>>63650936
I find Let's Go Away For A While to be the better instrumental track. Maybe the best song on the album even
>>
>>63650710

I don't get how Pet Sounds is considered so original.

Fucking Freak Out! came out the same year, and the even more insanely inventive rock album Absolutely Free came out a year later.

Maybe im comparing apples and oranges.

But seriously, this shit came out the same year as pet sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1vTgKZjFgI

this is fucking crazy for 66. It feels like it way too ahead of it's time.
>>
>>63651111
>Maybe im comparing apples and oranges.

Yes.

1966 was an incredible year for music, more than one album is allowed to be innovative.
>>
>>63651111
Frank Zappa was never agead of his time
>>
>>63651111
Quads aside Zappa is a shit cunt
>>
>>63650607
you still believe in me appears to be unpopular but it is my favorite
>>
File: 1399225882342.jpg (60 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
1399225882342.jpg
60 KB, 400x600
>you will never hear smile as 1960's brian wilson intended it
>>
>>63651388
Overrated wankery. He should have never even revisited it.
>>
>>63651091
Agreed about Let's Go Away. Honestly, that song, Sloop John B, and God Only Knows is my favorite part of the album.
>>
>>63651413
>He should have never even revisited it.
i mostly agree, but on the other hand, the glimpses of it are better than nothing
>>
>>63651388
i haven't touched smile yet, is it on the same tier as pet sounds? does it sound similar? what's the lore
>>
>>63651469
It's a lot more psychedelic with worse songwriting
>>
File: brianwhat.png (219 KB, 738x693) Image search: [Google]
brianwhat.png
219 KB, 738x693
>>63651499
>worse songwriting
>>
>>63651469
It's nothing like Pet Sounds. It's more like a primitive version of Sung Tongs. Brian and co. started working on it after Pet Sounds and the rest of the Beach Boys thought it was convoluted tripe and their label didn't think it was poppy enough so it was abandoned for 40 years. Then Brian recorded it with a new band in 2004. In 2011 he released the album as it was recorded back in 67 or so, so there's also that. It's not great but it's a must listen if you like the Beach Boys.
>>
File: bri.png (255 KB, 1022x931) Image search: [Google]
bri.png
255 KB, 1022x931
>>63651552
>It's not great

I can post these reaction images all day, anons.
>>
This album feels to me like a partir Of My life you know? It just manages to capture all those feelings that I had at some moment.
Also, the music is mindblowing good. The production on this is like nothing I've ever herd. I get the feel that all The instruments have a special Place in every song, like the guitar and the wooden block or the cowbell hace the same importance. It has a heveanly aura to it.
I just love the whole album start to finish
>>
>>63651552
thanks for that, i was just watching a clip where he talks about people bringing in burning wood in a bucket to write the album hes a real nut

is there anything that sounds like pet sounds, like instrumentation-wise and not that one beatles album they made after they heard pet sounds doesn't do it for me
>>
>>63651469
wouldn't put it on the same tier as pet sounds only because what we have today are only fragments. like i alluded to it's hard to imagine what brian had in mind for a lot of the songs because they are very unfinished. i'd very much recommend first listening to The Smile Sessions (and not brian wilson presents smile, the album >>63651552 is talking about) as imo they are the closest to what the album could have been, and i don't mean they are close to what they album could have been. they're pretty far away, especially in the second half, where there's more unfinished material. the lore is brian bought a few pounds of weed and hash and set up a sandbox and tent with a piano and smoked weed all summer with van dyke parks (who is worth checking out in his own right). it's more innocent in nature, but also somewhat melancholy in the way pet sounds is. again, there's little to go by. i also think it's essential for anyone who's a fan of the beach boys.
>>
>>63651413
Disagreed. While I don't think its modern incarnations are perfect, SMiLE, as a sum of all its various forms, is my favorite musical piece.

>>63651469
It's on the same tier as Pet Sounds, and personally for me better. Its instrumentals are more ambitious and its more sprawling. It has more some more light-hearted, childlike songs than Pet Sounds (like Vege-tables and Barnyard) as well as some of their best and most beautiful songs (Surf's Up, Wonderfull.)

The Smile Sessions is great, but there are many instrumental sections that feel incomplete. These were fleshed out in the 2004 remake Brian Wilson Presents Smile, which don't feature Beach Boys performances, just Brian Wilson in his old age with accompaniment (still fantastic though.)

>>63651627
Honestly give SMiLE a try. The instrumentation is just as good if not better than Pet Sounds, and the album has more variety. I went from Pet Sounds to Brian Wilson Present Smile, and thats probably a good place to go next for you too, since the modern production on BWPS really highlights the intrumental arrangements.
>>
I found this album in a sharethread recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp_mWq89us4&list=PLRQKT-Cu2_2TQoKTAWv-rkp676INGZuQK

Not quite Pet Sounds (more dramatic and sweeping), but close enough (vocal harmonies, sharp songwriting) to listen alongside.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1451137403002.jpg (9 KB, 227x225) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1451137403002.jpg
9 KB, 227x225
>>63650678
Why do you come here if you understand this little about music.
>>
>>63650574

Probably the greatest album ever made, was the inspiration for Sgt. Peppers, Brian Wilson is a genius and without all those lost years due to mental illness probably would have knocked the shit out of McCartney and Lennon.

Nothing else to talk about
>>
>>63650607

Can we talk about how fucking perfect God Only Knows is?

Those fucking chord progressions must not have come from this planet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkPy18xW1j8
>>
>>63652694
This. Brian Wilson is an unrivalled genius in his field.
>>
>>63652716

Makes me sad how fucked up his life was, his upbringing made him ill suited to fame and susceptible to manipulation since he didn't know what a healthy relationship looked like.

I hope he's happy these days
>>
>>63652737
Such a waste of talent, a familiar story in the industry unfortunately.
>>
>>63652791

If he dies this year this will officially be the most catastrophic year in music history, I don't think I'll be able to take it
>>
>>63650574
one of my all time favorites

>>63650607
have to agree with >>63650643

>>63651111
consider Pet Sounds contributions to pop music. Freak Out! is clearly original and influential, but for the more experimental rock side of the spectrum

>>63651469
I personally found The Smile Sessions mindblowing. It's on the same tier as Pet Sounds, but suffers from being clearly unfinished

>>63652694
this
>>
>>63652713
I absolutely love the vocal harmonies and such toward the end. The rest is good but the ending is what seals it for me.
>>
>>63652791
Watching the Brian Wilson : Songwriter documentaries was frustrating. There was a cycle of "Brian started to come back out of his shell. You could tell he was really starting to put effort into the songs again." followed by "The album ended up selling worse than expected" or "he encountered resistance to his side project and ended up abandoning it." Then the label drumed up a "Brian Wilson's coming back to produce the Beach Boys!" publicity scheme and he ended up phoning it in, producing an album of mostly covers called 15 Big Ones. It got terrible reviews but ended up being their most popular album in years and was hailed as "Brian's Comeback"
>>
>>63652891

Brian's solo work was also surprisingly good considering he was barely sane in the 80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMEiggGt9hg

>that bridge at 1:32
>>
>contrarians

fucking leave. pet sounds and smile are masterpieces
>>
>>63651413
(You)
>>
>>63652932
I really recommend those documentaries by the way. They are by far the most retailed history of the Beach Boys I have found. It covers every album release of theirs from 62 to 82
>>
File: denniswilson.jpg (39 KB, 484x584) Image search: [Google]
denniswilson.jpg
39 KB, 484x584
>tfw no one ever talks about the superior Wilson brother, Dennis

is that too much to ask for? The BBC documentary is fucking devastating, pham. If you don't feel like shit by the moment they show him trying to sing "You are so Beautiful", you're goddamn lucky. Seeing him reduced to a total drunken mess is heartbreaking. Pacific Ocean Blue is a fucking masterpiece, no lie.

https://youtu.be/koLWVS_6mbE?t=349
>>
File: beach-boys_I-get-around_single.jpg (495 KB, 1689x1687) Image search: [Google]
beach-boys_I-get-around_single.jpg
495 KB, 1689x1687
When I get stressed out, I listen to Don't Worry Baby with just the chorus looping over and over and have a good cry.

I don't think any living being has been touched with a more potent ability to craft such emotionally resonant melodies. I don't know for sure what it means -- that a 50 year old pop song about bragging about your car can evoke such a personal response from me. I think, maybe, it supports Brian's idea that the human voice is the voice of God. It doesn't matter what he's singing about; it's the melody, the harmonies, how it's sung. It's one of the most tender and deeply personal songs I've ever heard, and the thing was just a B side to the chipper I Get Around, made solely to make money. That's something.

Brian is a special being. He is special. I hope everyone ITT treasures him as dearly as I do.
>>
Albums worth listening to
>Pet Sounds
>Smile
>Surf's Up

And the rest of their discography was complete trash. It's a shame really.
>>
>>63653118
no love for Sunflower?
>>
File: mike love trump.jpg (88 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
mike love trump.jpg
88 KB, 960x720
>>63653118
who died and made you king of the plebs?
>>
>>63653118
Friends, Sunflower, Today, Wild Honey, Love You are also good. Not perfect, each has some less interesting songs, but they're certainly worth listening to.
>>
>>63653088

>I don't think any living being has been touched with a more potent ability to craft such emotionally resonant melodies.

And Brian receives not nearly enough recognition for it because he was out of commission for so long.

Rolling Stone ranked Carole King, Stevie Wonder, and Bob Marley ahead of him in their greatest songwriters list.

I stand by my assertion that without all those lost years Brian would have beaten out McCartney and Lennon in terms of raw songwriting ability (he might not have beaten Dylan admittedly)

But yes Brian is a very special and sensitive man. It's such a shame that it took him most of his life to find someone who would love him and take care of him.
>>
this album clicked for me the other day after listening to it like 4 times over one year

it really is beautiful
>>
>>63650574
Listening to it for the first time right now, its amazing
>>
>>63653069

Didn't he try to get Brian to buy cocaine or something in the 80s and get his ass kicked by Brian's bodyguard for it or something?

Shitty thing to do to your brother
>>
>>63650574

It may seem self centered but I love the feeling that Brian wrote these songs for me (not just for me of course, but for everyone who needs help getting through the day and looks to music and the written word). That he knew what low points were and he wanted to be there in spirit for all the people he'd never meet who needed his genius.

Or maybe that's just idolatry, idk
>>
>>63653158
>the supervillain convention
>>
>>63653523
i know that feel m8, the lyrics are very relatable

>>63654297
kek
>>
>>63653195
>he might not have beaten Dylan admittedly
Dylan was fucking mediocre, though. He wrote nice lyrics, but his actual music was a snorefest.
>>
>>63654297
>heroes and villains, just see what you've done

what did Brian mean by this?
>>
File: panda bear (2).jpg (740 KB, 1011x885) Image search: [Google]
panda bear (2).jpg
740 KB, 1011x885
How did he get his hair to be like that?
>>
>>63652818
Well he's still touring and juydging from early reviews, his Pet Sounds tour is pretty good.
>>
>>63655014
I got tickets. can't wait, I hope I don't cry like a little bitch when they play I just wasn't made for these times. Song always got to me.
>>
>>63655014
Hasn't his voice started to really deteriorate, lately, though?
>>
>>63655072
>>63655014
>>63655093

Just judging from Youtube vids his voice is still beautiful, probably better than ours, maybe aged a little aged but look at his voice and then look at poor Elton's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXEKQsFLyVM&spfreload=1
>>
>>63650607
Caroline, No
>>
>>63655536
Seconded. The perfect closer
>>
>>63651311
One of my favorites if not my favorite from the album, the melody when Brian sings "cry" gives me chills.
>>
Nothing I can say that could really contribute to the thread, but here goes......

>>63561111(Nice quads)
Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I always thought that Freak Out was not only heavily influenced by Pet Sounds, it was Frank Zappa's personal tribute to it.

>>63651388(Nice dubs)
While this fact makes me sad, I am grateful that Smile even got released at all, both by The Beach Boys, and Brian's own reconstruction of the music in the early oughts.

>>63651469
Smile is a totally different animal than Pet Sounds, and, in my opinion, better. Pet Sounds showed a certain maturity on Brian's part, not only as a song writer, arranger, composer, and producer, but also as a human being in their mid 20s in general. Smile is the result of taking a little too much LSD with Van Dyke Parks, but coming up with some very interesting psychedelic music nonetheless, at least in my opinion. I also think it's better than Pet Sounds, but I'm an old acid head from way back when, so you should take my perspective with a grain of salt.

>>63652694
Paul McCartney has confirmed time and again that Pet Sounds was the influence or Sgt Pepper. In fact that's why The Beatles were very on hands and took a personal interest in the production and mix down of the mono version, while living the stereo version in the hands of the likes of George Martin and Geoff Emorick and the like. If Smile came out as scheduled in the way that Brian envisioned it, it would've given Sgt Pepper a good run for it's money, and would be mentioned in the same breathe.

>>63652713
One of my all time favorites off that album, right up there with That's Not Me, and I Just Wasn't Made for These Times. Good taste, anon.

>>63652818
He'll be fine

>>63653118
Looks like we have a Brian fan. Don't exclude the rest of the catalogue just because you hate Love.

>>63653172
That's a good list, but I would've also included Summer Days and Summer Nights, A Beach Boys Party, and 20/20.
>>
>>63651111(Again, nice quads)
Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I always thought that Freak Out was not only influenced by Pet Sounds, it was Frank Zappa's own personal tribute to it. I know this has already been posted, but I made a typo, so I posted it again.
>>
>>63650574

Anyone know why Good Vibrations is often considered the best off of this album?

I love it but I feel like God Only Knows and I Just Wasn't made for these times were better songs technically

That bridge with the harmonica is catchy though
>>
File: 5cfb92.jpg (38 KB, 500x459) Image search: [Google]
5cfb92.jpg
38 KB, 500x459
can I come too?
>>
>>63655810
Good Vibrations is from Smiley Smile, not Pet Sounds.
>>
File: 1414033144286.png (84 KB, 640x852) Image search: [Google]
1414033144286.png
84 KB, 640x852
>>63654784
>it's probably not even bait

Jesus.
>>
>>63655822

Woops, my bad, for some reason I associate all of their masterpieces with Pet Sounds i guess

Regardless i think it's often perceived that Good Vibrations is their best song, and I didn't really get why i guess
>>
>>63650574
worse then any beatles album
>>
al jardine? more al sardine
>>
>>63650574

What was the shit with the drama within the band? I can't describe it off the top of my head but it was something like Mike Love was an extreme asshole to Brian or something before or after Brian's breakdown?

Sorry if that's vague
>>
>>63655843
Being that the single Good Vibrations came out after the Pet Sounds album, it's easy to make that association.

But you do pose an interesting question, anon. I used to think Good Vibrations was the best thing they ever did, until I heard Cabin Essence. That makes Good Vibrations sound like the top 40 pop hit that it turned out to be. I'm not knocking Good Vibrations. It's still one of my favorite songs, but Cabin Essence blows it out of the water, imho.
>>
>>63655930
Simplistic, but accurate description of the situation. Must've driven Mike nuts when they went to England for the first time and the audience only wanted to hear Pet Sounds, and not the "Hits".
>>
>>63655953
>Being that the single Good Vibrations came out after the Pet Sounds album, it's easy to make that association.

Plus it underwent the writing and recording process during the Pet Sounds sessions
>>
>>63655487
>please clap
>>
>>63650574
"you still believe in me" :')
"snoop john b"
great voice harmony
great orchestration
very ahead of his time in pop music
>>
>>63650614
>>
>>63658320
>very ahead of his time in pop music
Not true at all. I wish people would stop parroting this.
>>
>>63658332
Your amazing argumentation make me change my mind, thx
>>
>>63658391
Sure thing, friend.
>>
>>63658391
How was he ahead of his time in pop music?
>>
>>63658438
I was not born, so I might be wrong but I don't know such popular band before them making songs with not just bass/guitar/drums but plenty of instruments and sounding like this
>>
>>63658755
Phil Specter was doing it before Brian Wilson.
>>
I've been listening to this masterpiece a bit more often, gearing up for seeing BriWi perform it at Levitation.

Whole body a-tremble in anticipation for Panda to duet with him.
>>
>>63658821
Do you have a similar album from Spector?
>>
>>63658970
Look it up yourself.
>>
>>63650607
Here Today.
>>
>>63658984
That's what i thought...
>>
>>63659041
Thought what?

Also listen to Lawrence Welk. Are you not familiar with big band music?
>>
>>63658821
He wasn't doing it as tastefully, and didn't hear the same things Brian did.

What Brian just naturally does with a record is what other people spend their entire life learning how to do
>>
>>63659110
>tastefully
How is that measured?
>>
File: 1458852500247.png (194 KB, 461x513) Image search: [Google]
1458852500247.png
194 KB, 461x513
>>63650574
>Each time things start to happen again
>I think I got something good goin' for myself
>But what goes wrong
>>
>>63659125
You feel it in your bones

Stop looking for numbers everywhere dude
>>
>>63659167
So he was the first pop musician with taste?

Perhaps you are just an idiot.
>>
>>63659128
My favorite line has to be "They say I got brains but they ain't doin me no good"

The way the lyrics are worded is really humble so they speak to you like they would in a really thoughtful conversion you would have with somoen you love
>>
>>63659084
>Big band music
I'm pretty sure nobody in school was listening to big band music
Frank sinatra was using violons before as well before
We're talking about the beach boys, the beatles, pop music for teenager
>>
1. Don't Talk
2. Caroline No
3. I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
>>
>>63659323
Nice goalpost shifting.

Big Band music was the pop music of it's time.
>>
I know this is blasphemy...

Surf's Up > The Smile Sessions >>>>> Pet Sounds

PS is still 10/10 doe.
>>
>>63659519
Oh also, for Pet Sounds:

1. I Know There's an Answer
2. I'm Waiting For the Day
3. Let's Go Away For Awhile
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.