[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/daily/ - Daily Album Discussion (year old OP edition)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 114
File: new op pic.png (1 MB, 889x593) Image search: [Google]
new op pic.png
1 MB, 889x593
Systematize your backlog, discover new music, tell us what you've been listening today!

relevant links:

TOPSTERS.NET
TOPSTERS.NET
TOPSTERS.NET
>chart your listening quota

https://synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>plug.dj-ersatz for real-time memery

http://dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>Site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random shit

Most importantly, get taste!

Previous thread:>>61172423
>>
>>61239782
Merry Christmas you fucking gardener
>>
>>61239782
CHRISTMAS TIME KENTS
>>
I've been listening to the Magnetic Fields' Holiday on repeat the past two days. The production on this is amazing despite it being 20 years old already.

btw, anyone up to sync or wherever you guys are posting your bleeps nowadays?
>>
File: aureliano.png (1003 KB, 1000x1027) Image search: [Google]
aureliano.png
1003 KB, 1000x1027
Igor Stravinsky - Le Sacre du Printemps

My interest with folklore sparked up when I was a kid, maybe because i liked the idea of well established towns and countries once having a weirder and more characteristic persona – a world where things out of the ordinary happened more often and there still was something to find and be surprised of. I still find myself sometimes agreeing with that point of view, even if it's not completely justified.
The fascination crossed paths with my once yearly voyage to Moldavia, my homecountry. It's a place that is now left behind by almost everyone, and survives only by standing on its pillars made of traditions and hard purposeless work. The traditions borrow a lot from the russian folklore, and contribute to the overall fashion of the country: the white grapevines and the way people build their homes is enhanced by knowing that everybody was put to sleep listening to the same stories, and every girl had made a flower crown in their youth, celebrating the coming of summer.
Igor Stravinsky had the same passion, and wanted people to know. Not only he starts his composition with a typical folk motif, but most of the parts of the work are made from twisting and adjusting other traditional songs, almost like the now sample based music. The green tinged movements wake up my nostalgia and I remember watching the sun going up behind a constellation of leaves, getting lost in the hills with my sister and being bit by ants, climbing a twisted staircase only to get to a gazebo near a river, dancing with my grandparents on a ground covered of yellow leaves celebrating being alive.
The work is also divided in very visual vignettes that narrate a story, and that adds another key of listening, making Le Sacre du Printemps a very engaging and lovable listen.
>>
>>61239824
Great album bro. Have you listened to their other stuff?
>>
>>61239901
69 love songs and their last one they put out (can't remember the name though)

w-we can listen to them if we sync
if you want...
>>
File: Accountability attempt.jpg (65 KB, 520x430) Image search: [Google]
Accountability attempt.jpg
65 KB, 520x430
It's an old dude playing a native string instrument called the Gugak with good profeciency supported by a bass, but it doesn't do much for me.
>>
>>61239913
Oh and some percussion too.
>>
>>61239874
> getting lost in the hills with my sister and being bit by ants
that is very qt
>>
>>61239874
dam son, Stravinsky be in Baller Country
>>
>Sufjan Stevens - Ding! Dong! Songs for Christmas Vol. III

OK, this is my favorite EP of this project by far, even if it was only because it contains "Come On! Let's Boogey To The Elf Dance!" and "That Was The Worst Christmas Ever!" with the first being an absolutely amazing track, with joyful, moving and very, very catchy melodies, and some walls of sounds and crescendos perfectly written and orchestrated; and the latter being a traditional ballad by Sufjan, strongly emotional and masterfully executed.
Of course it's not only about this two tracks, every song has memorable melodies; plus Sufjan proves once again to be a very good songwriting with the ability of writing and arrange extremely complex pieces of music. But this complexity isn't annoying nor over-the-too, it's in fact very subtle and the various layers of sound flows very smoothly with the rest of the instrumentation.
I liked this a lot, and seriously, "Come On! Let's Boogey To The Elf Dance!" and "That Was The Worst Christmas Ever!" might be amongst my favorite Suffy songs.

7.5/10
>>
>>61239953
That Was The Worst Christmas Ever! is tied for being my favorite Christmas song of his besides Holy Holy Holy. Good review man.
>>
Backcatalog a shit
>>
File: eruditeys final 2015 catchup.png (578 KB, 680x910) Image search: [Google]
eruditeys final 2015 catchup.png
578 KB, 680x910
Listening to Jenny Hval now, what should I do after that?
(also if anyone has lesser known 10/10 films, pls rec, no plebs pls)
>>
>>61240074
sooo pretty much feet-smashing-grapes-core for film?
God i wish i remembered who played that film back in the plug days. That's definitely what I would consider up your alley.
>>
File: 5839020.jpg (14 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
5839020.jpg
14 KB, 700x700
Oops, I almost forgot to put this in my AOTY list

>>61240061
2 for Far Side Virtual ?
>>
>>61240142
Forgot trip lol :')
>>
>>61239911
All their 90s albums are good, i especially like Charm of the Old Highway Strip. I'm preparing food for christ mas, No time for sync ;(
>>
>>61240191
what are you doing for Cries Mast?
>>
>that OP pic
it brings some feels with it

Merry Christmas /daily/, I know I haven't been around and I won't be for a while because uni but once I'm back I'm going to finish up the cunt chart (only one album left but it's like long and shit) and the BM chart

hope you guys have a nice day
>>
>>61240026
Seriously, the only bad thing about that song is the title. And it's not even that bad if you think about it.
>>
>>61240340
>BM chart
get out it's not november anymore
>>
File: boris.png (1 MB, 633x852) Image search: [Google]
boris.png
1 MB, 633x852
>>61240340
thank you benji :3 merry christmas to you too!
>>
>>61239874
also what next? no friedrich cerha
>>
>>61240340
Merry Gripsmas, Bungle
>>
>>61240264
I'm at my brother's place with the rest of my family. Just put the pork roast in the oven
>>
>>61240340
happy christmas Kozelek, we luv u
>>
File: discogs.jpg (862 KB, 820x1025) Image search: [Google]
discogs.jpg
862 KB, 820x1025
I'll be listening to some Sparklehorse in a bit; will also continue this chart sometime. What next?
>>
>>61240387
Polyglöt
>>61240462
Hunky Dory
>>61240074
The Gate
>>
>>61240462
"heroes"
>>
new and improved

gimme jazz
>>
>>61240462
seventeen seconds! it has the best early cure song
>>
>>61240477
>>61240478
>>61240483
okay, those are gonna be the next three.
JJ, I don't think anything can beat Siamese Twins ever.
>>
>>61240482
Masahiko Satoh & Sound Breakers - Amalgamation
Zbigniew Namysłowski - Winobranie
Możdżer Danielsson Fresco - Between Us and the Light
The Andrzej Trzaskowski Sextet - Seant
Contemporary Noise Quintet - Pig Inside the Gentleman
Andrew Hill - Point of Departure
>>
File: Jon Arbuckle consoles you.png (55 KB, 500x146) Image search: [Google]
Jon Arbuckle consoles you.png
55 KB, 500x146
Happy Holidays /circlejerk/! I hope you all asked for taste this time around.

>>61240340
>long and shit
You're weak on both accounts, nerd.
>>
>>61240531
it's not shit, that was an expression
I've actually more than half of it but I wanna get that sweet full experience
>>
>>61240142
It's just unbearable to me, boring, ugly and overbearing. The concept is clever but in execution it's like playing sim city with an iphone up your ass and I did not enjoy it. John Maus is an example of philosophy and music coming together in a way that is both aesthetically interesting and unique while still being nostalgic and musically interesting while still having depth, James Ferraro just doesn't do it for me.
>>61240340
Merry cringle Benji
>>
>>61240540
I see. In that case you're not a nerd.
I'll keep my eyes on you tho.
>>
File: 2015catchup3.png (330 KB, 1000x430) Image search: [Google]
2015catchup3.png
330 KB, 1000x430
>tfw its christmas eve and nearly 70 degrees

i'm in an odd comfy christmas feels purgatory this is bizarre

Stara Rzeka - Zamknęły się oczy ziemi (2015)
>free folk, psychedelic folk

Wow, I'm honestly shocked that my three favorite albums on this chart were all hip hop albums, and one of them isn't the fucking free folk album. There are /so/ many good ideas here, but the choices that Stara Rzeka takes with the production and just the general structure of the album are asinine. Some tracks are just too lo-fi to the point where its painful, and the album commits the cardinal sin of having its longest track be the least interesting. There's still stuff I like about this album though, like the primitivism (speaking of, its been a year since I got into Fahey,damn) and the oddly black metal opening track. Spotty and overlong but still a pretty solid listen.

2.5+

OFFICIAL 2015 TOP 5

5. Milo - So the Flies Don't Come
4. Keiji Haino, Jim O'Rourke & Oren Ambarchi - ここに 与えられた この身体、全部 使い切ってやる という者の、お茶の 時間 (Tea Time for Those Determined to Completely Exhaust Every Bit of This Body They've Been Given)
3. JME - Integrity>
2. The Coneheads - L.P.1.
1. Lil Ugly Mane - Oblivion Access

and a special number 1 to Even Oxen, because I'm not sure if its actually as spectacular as it sounds or if my judgement is impaired by /daily/. but GB, you put out a damn good EP, and for that you get the honorary floating #1 spot with LUM.
>>
Sup /boys/

Merry Christmas! Hope y'all warm and comfy. I'm day drinking and it's sort of comfy.

I came to the realization that I don't dig what I heard from Mozart so far. Been listening to the 40th and 41st + heard his "greatest hits" set from WRO yesterday and it's just not for me. Might have something to drink with how overplayed the pieces I listened to are. I will still listen to the Perahia box set Hampus recced. I hope it will get a better response from me.

In terms of the WRO show, they were good entertainers but you can't really take it seriously IMO. It's too silly. Good performers though.
>>
>>61240800
>2. The Coneheads - L.P.1.

Nice
>>
File: queue12-24.png (1 MB, 1160x1000) Image search: [Google]
queue12-24.png
1 MB, 1160x1000
i've been wrong before, but /daily/ is where we throw on trips and post our queues/backlogs, right?
>>
I really need to get back on my modern classical chart

>>61240937
Yep, pretty much
>>
>>61240937
oh wow, I never noticed 385 have a second EP
>>
>>61240573
I see, I'll check this John Maus album then.
>>
>>61240937
Yes but you have to make your trip christmassy
>>
>>61241013
can i get some christmas trip recs?
>>
File: sparklehorse.jpg (69 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
sparklehorse.jpg
69 KB, 460x460
Elliott Smith influenced feelscore indeh pop; how could I possibly dislike this? (plus the one track I'd heard before is really fucking good)
It's varied and the instrumentation is somehow raw and lush at the same time; it's catchy and depressing but never overtly bleak - there's still some tracks that at least fake upbeatness.
This is gonna need some more listens.
liked/11
>>
>>61241066
>shanta clause
>shanedeer
>>
>>61241288
shanedeer it is.
bless

>>61240937
listening to Doopee Time now. the vocals are fine on some tracks but they're putting a serious hamper on others
>>
File: 2038039.jpg (533 KB, 600x532) Image search: [Google]
2038039.jpg
533 KB, 600x532
what's /daily/ listening to this holy day?
just started this and i'm already loving it.
>>
>>61241337
Listening to While You Were Out for the second time today, it's just so amazing

Also wheres your christmas trip ?
>>
>>61241658
sorry
>>
>>61241337
Re-listening to Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven! so I can maybe try to review it decently (it won't happen).
Still a 10/10
>>
fuck i dont know any cool xmas trips

i hope the cool guys dont notice im not as cool as them
>>
>>61241797
Jingle Benji?
>>
>>61241797
Benjingle Bells
>>
>>61241797
Kozelek made a christmas album right
>>
hey i changed my trip for the literal first time ever!

>>61241797
just go back to Bvnji, its always cvlt in yr heart
>>
uh, I guess he did

>>61242086
>cvlt
we know in your heart it isn't
>>
File: 71YImXEPd+L._SL1200_[1].jpg (116 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
71YImXEPd+L._SL1200_[1].jpg
116 KB, 1200x1200
Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973) by King Crimson, recommended by Kanzler

The crucial thing about Larks' Tongues is that it takes its time, it's not in a hurry. Not to say that it's hopelessly laid back - there are a few upbeat and pressing moments, too - but that the band hover on an idea, a riff, or a mood, without letting it escape them. They don't want to show off as many ideas and fancy technical devices as they can (though these are also present in some measure), quite the contrary. This is what I enjoy it most for, because you can equally follow a line of development or let the body take over in a passive groove.

Groove is the other thing not in short supply here. Not all of these tracks succeed in cooking a beat (the two-note jam [proto-Remain in Light?] on 'Talking Drum' is a noble failure in this regard), but the feel is underwritten by patient rhythm throughout. This is true even where the band are playing tricks and games with each other. For example, the polymetric 7/8 vocals over a slow-burn 4/4 beat on 'Easy Money' don't ever feel clever or even particularly innovative because they're still rocking an intuitive, danceable beat.

I'm really not sold on the vocals themselves, actually. They have that straining somebody's-got-to-sing-and-I-drew-the-short-straw quality that I find in a lot of English music from around this time which takes itself too seriously. Ditto for the lyrics, which are frankly unserviceable in imagination or appeal. The good news is that more than half of this record is instrumental. The electric violin seems a little bit of a bad gamble at the start, but by the end of side A 'Exiles' is almost indispensable to the muscular smoothness on display, especially in Bruford's idiosyncratic, machinelike drum patterns. The short 'Book of Saturday' is nothing if not warmth and light in its harmony of strings, guitar, bass, violin alike, even in the slightly unconvincing reverse-guitar solos. A successful and pleasant album.
>>
>>61239824
I love that album. Nice OP pic btw.

>>61240573
I disagree with your opinion on why the Maus album is good, but I love it as well.
>>
>>61240061
Where to next /daily/?
>>61242286
I think I'm getting gradually more inept at expressing myself I might've had a stroke, I'm curious, what would you say makes you love it?
>>
>>61242369
channel orange mate
>>
That OP picture is such a blast from the past, I love it

Merry Christmas, my good-taste-having internet friends

>>61241337
Nice! Enjoy it!!
>>
File: Hasture_vapecember_2015.jpg (1 MB, 1576x1124) Image search: [Google]
Hasture_vapecember_2015.jpg
1 MB, 1576x1124
>死夢VANITY - 遺却する p l a z a
>mallsoft

A late night shopping anthem, It's the 13th hour and your the only one there. This is what hauntingly plays in the background while you shop for dreams. Smooth and uplifting, just the thing for those post-Christmas blues.
>>
>>61240387
i need another album from you, since you advanced.

>>61241004
Your album was very good as well though. gonna start Stetson + Neufeld soon.
>>
>>61242501
>post-Christmas blues
is that a real thing? I usually feel great with it out of the way
>>
>>61242658
I don't know about anyone else, but for me it comes from the near emptiness in the malls after the holidays. Perfect for those vaporfeels.
>>
>>61242569
Ill think about it
So you have a rym so i can understand your taste more?
>>
Hey /daily/, these are some albums I liked this year. Please rec me something cool
>>
File: suicide - suicide.jpg (44 KB, 520x520) Image search: [Google]
suicide - suicide.jpg
44 KB, 520x520
>>61242873
oh boy do i have an album for you
>>
>>61242920
despite the memes, you should actually hear this album
>>
>>61242920
Thanks dude will be checking this out soon, hopefully before this thread hits the limit. I'll let you know what I think
>>
>>61242873
mewithoutYou - Ten Stories
Man Man - Life Fantastic
Bobby Birdman - Giraffes & Jackals
merry christmas anon <3
>>
>>61242949
Frankie Teardrop is the ultimate Christmas jam :)
>>61242979
Cool cool. If you want a rec that comes closer to yr actual taste, try Jim O'Rourke - Insignificance
>>
>>61243041
>>61243055
Thanks anons, only thing I've heard from these is mewithoutyou so I'll be checking all of these out real soon.
>>
File: folder.jpg (309 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
309 KB, 1425x1425
>>61241337
nothing but black metal
ill probably throw on one or two other releases left from november later the day
>>
File: Filosofem[1].jpg (185 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
Filosofem[1].jpg
185 KB, 500x450
Filosofem (1996) by Burzum, recommended by s

Many kudos to Burzum for mastering the most tasteful use of synths here. A light, snowdrop accent gives opener 'Dunkelheit' its forward motion above a long-legged stalker of a riff, whilst closer 'Gebrechlichkeit II' performs a seamless transition from isolated sparseness to a roaring full climax with the fuzzed and buzzed guitar tone that characterises the whole of the album so well.

It's that overblown, overgained guitar tone that's the real draw here, after all. It's a trebly affair all the way through, yet the sound is just so full and rich, working on your whole through the ears down. The fact is that the riffs here, few as they are, are not outstanding or gripping, but with a tone like that it doesn't much matter. Whether crawling in half-time onwards through moonlit alleys ('Dunkelheit' & 'Erblicket die Töchter des Firmaments') or striking out on a cathartic treadmill of sorts ('Jesus' Tod'), it places demands on you. The drums, too, are wonderfully punchy and driving, if a little low in the mix for my taste.

This fuzz and punch actually brings to mind an unexpected parallel with Prurient; a parallel which is consummated in the vocals. It's that distorted, telephone-call scream, intermittently hailing you and advancing upon you to 'take you away...'. Unfortunately there's just not enough of it. And unlike Prurient, it's not quite intelligible most of the time, which somewhat mutes the effectiveness in my view.

Anybody who's heard this album will know the inevitable complaint which I repeat here: the 25-minute synth-ambient sinker stuck in the middle. What could have been an awesomely perfect interlude has been stretched into a white elephant. I do wonder if this has been done purely to fill time under a contractual obligation. In any case it's actually a pretty fatal blow to an otherwise excellent record. Come for a masterful use of synths, yes, but don't feel obliged to stick around for them.
>>
>>61242226
>>61243576
kanzler wins btw
>>
>>61242369
I feel you, I can't even write a proper review because of how much time it takes me to write a sentence. I'm not exactly sure why I like it. I combines a lot of different elements that I enjoy: quiet lo-fi hiss, synths, reverb, baritone vocals, whimsy. The songwriting is simplistic but unique. I guess that's why.
>>
>>61242086
subtle change, I can respect that
>>
File: image.jpg (3 KB, 300x57) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 KB, 300x57
>>61242485
Merry Chrimbus, Nyancat
>>
>>61240800
my EP made it to number one?!
whoa whoa seriously??
God bless you Natty, that means a lot.

I listened to a bit of that Lil Ugly Mane album in the Sync today and I liked what I heard so to be placed alongside that does mean something to me.
>>
finishing the beatles today and also probably doing the two bonus albums as well

is it already Christmas in yurop? if so, how are you celebrating?
>>
>>61244112
I'm eating Brie and drinking cheap Austrian beer by myself. Not sure if that's a good thing.
>>
>>61243760
yeah man! its really good stuff. simultaneously really comfy and kinda anxious in a way.
>>
>>61244238
>anxious
you know, I've always enjoyed feeling anxiety. It's that weird feeling in your stomach you get when you know something is coming up, right?
>>
>>61244112
We just finished eating the roast duck and pork roast, and we've had round 1 of singing and dancing around the tree. We also had round 1of present opening, i got a belt.
>>
>>61244112
Had fish soup and a concoction of bread, milk, and poppy seeds that I don't know the English name of, decorated the tree, exchanged presents, played a board game. Was fun.
>>
>>61244461
>It's that weird feeling in your stomach you get when you know something is coming up, right?
that's definitely a part of it, but i'm more referring to the constantly kinda on edge sound your ep has. its really nice. that mixed with the comfy instrumentation and vocals is A+.
>>
>>61240462
>Stereolab
>disregarding Fluorescences
>>
>>61244976
thanks man, I really hope the next album will be better. I have no idea how to go about production but I'm glad a lot of you are on Deco to help me out with it there.
>>
File: eruditeys final 2015 catchup.png (578 KB, 680x910) Image search: [Google]
eruditeys final 2015 catchup.png
578 KB, 680x910
I'll try to do Swans in a minute.

Tell me what to do after that and also give me film recs pls, i really can't think for myself
>>
File: Accountability attempt.jpg (65 KB, 520x430) Image search: [Google]
Accountability attempt.jpg
65 KB, 520x430
I don't remember much of it but it sounded nice.
>>
>>61245638
Jacob's Ladder
>>61245042
Sorry bruh
>>61245580
If any of the tracks you posted in deco are of any indication I trust it's gonna be fucking awesome
>>
>>61245638
>Film recs
What do you want to watch? I saw Angelopolous Landscape In The Mist which was great if you want something sad about kids
>>
>>61245916
Haha as long as I have Deco, I can't go wrong. How's Christmas coming along?
>>
>>61246569
Christmas isn't that big of a deal over here but I'll be eating tons of food with family which is probably gonna be nice
>>
File: this is gonna be a fun chart.png (3 MB, 1588x1857) Image search: [Google]
this is gonna be a fun chart.png
3 MB, 1588x1857
Where next /daily/? Also rec me them gud films with atmosphere
>>61242419
Good pick
>>61243603
Nah those are good reasons, definitely some of the reasons I enjoy the music so much. He does use some interesting progressions and harmonies but I do see where you're coming from about the songwriting
>>
>>61246982
>Films with atmosphere
Werckmeister Harmoniak

also do Transformer next
>>
File: R-15159-1225562531.jpeg.jpg (95 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
R-15159-1225562531.jpeg.jpg
95 KB, 500x500
Merry Christmas /daily/!

I'm travelling soon. Any good albums for a 20 hour drive?
>>
>>61247062
Merry Christmas bud!
I don't even have to say it at this point, do I?

>>61246982
[insert film version of the album mentioned above]
Limite
>>
File: image.jpg (189 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
189 KB, 1200x1200
>>61247062
You haven't had a proper night-time drive until you've blasted this
>>
>>61246391
Thank you! I really enjoy your reviews on truefilm btw (well, I assume it's you because of the similarities in names). You should watch more Keaton

My favourite films are:
Young Girls of Rochefort
Contempt
Scenes from a Marriage
Vertigo
Antichrist
Stalker
>>
>Pig Destroyer- Prowler In The Yard

To be perfectly honest, I probably wouldn't enjoy these songs as much if I listened to them on their own. But as a 40-minute long album experience, this is super engaging and powerful- it's tight, brutal, and thoroughly malicious, and from time to time they temper the violent outbursts with creepy drones and electronic weirdness. The moments of tension and release both within and between different songs feel calculated to bring about the maximum effect.

This is genuinely frightening in some places- it really pulls off the creepy slasher-film vibe. It kind of feels the way being stalked through an abandoned apartment complex at night would. 7.5/10

>Slowdive- Pygmalion

I think Slowdive really aren't my thing. I liked this a lot better than Souvlaki- less emphasis on songwriting and more on making cool sounds- but this still feels sort of empty and pointless. Also I kind of hate this dude's voice- I wish this band made more use of their female vocalist.

Blue Skied An' Clear is pretty good, I guess. 5.5/10

>>61244112
Staying with my family. Hung out with all two of my friends yesterday. Ate a goose.

Haven't opened any presents yet but most of the packages look like books/clothes.

>>61247062
I always thought Duster was perfect driving music, especially if it's cloudy.

merry christmas /daily/
>>
File: 7.png (3 MB, 1000x910) Image search: [Google]
7.png
3 MB, 1000x910
>>61247666
forgot pic because i'm stupid
>>
>>61247549
Yeah I'm HejAnton everywhere more or less and Keaton's dope. Saw Sherlock Jr this morning. Need to watch more 20's slapstick

I've only seen half of your favorites but the other half are on my watchlist. Really need to watch some Jacques Demy soon I guess
>>
Did santa visit your house tonight
>>
File: shutterstock_121680412[1].jpg (2 MB, 2000x2500) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_121680412[1].jpg
2 MB, 2000x2500
>>61248100
not yet!
>>
>>61248100
No he will before tomorrow morning, did he visit your house? I hope you got nice presents if he did
>>
Górecki's Symphony No. 3 works nice as christmas album
>>61248100
Ye
>>61247062
Autobahn is the obvious choice
>>
HAPPY CHRISTMAS MEMERZ!
Santa will bring you lots of vinyl and good taste if you've been a good boi
>>
>>61247062
>>
>>61243590
>>61242226
oh, wow, I won, nice, is there gonna be a theme for the next round?
And great review as always, you have a really interesting perception of music and style of reviewing
>>
>>61248100
Yes. Unfortunately I didn't get taste. There's always next year tho.
>>
File: 1b73203c[1].jpg (174 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
1b73203c[1].jpg
174 KB, 658x658
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (1988) by Public Enemy, recommended by Eruditey

This can only have been so heavy back in '88, and despite having aged in so many ways in the mean time it still retains some of that weight. The production on this is particularly gritty. Squeals and screams make contact with particularly shattering drum breaks, locked into a grinding, gyrating motion, and all held together with a dizzying chain of samples and shout outs. And the political messages here are just as relevant - nay, more so - than they would have been at the time. In that respect this album is doubly-prescient: it probably laid the blueprint for the so-called golden age of political hip-hop in the early 90s, but it might have been made for today.

Unfortunately it's that datedness that really captures the album in my estimation though. I could happily finish the rest of my life without hearing another Flavor Flav rhyme or 'yeah boy!'. A lot of the pop culture references are rendered unintelligible or naff by 2015. I'm not interested by scratches as I once was. So much of this album is worthy of a millennial eye-roll, and it's a force of will to stop myself from doing that. All the trimmings of what hip-hop once was, all those hypemen, non-narrative skits, and token turntable spots... We've left these all behind, haven't we? But maybe one day we'll be so far from them that we'll learn to hear them anew.

Anyhow, there's still much to recommend a listen. Chuck D still has one of the most recognisable voices in rap, and I love his booming, commanding, deified tone; it's enough to make me squirm sometimes. There are few standout rhymes ('Night of the Living Baseheads' and 'Rebel Without a Pause' perhaps) but he never puts a foot wrong as far as I can see. As I mentioned, the production is pretty out-there but it handles its inventiveness with care - hence a Slayer sample hidden in plain sight. Where else is that going to sound good? Not bad.
>>
>>61248729
wait are you niner?
>>
>>61248417
500 - 5000 rym rates
>>
>>61248828
apparently so
>>
File: 61zm7e+Q8CL._SL1417_.jpg (97 KB, 1417x1417) Image search: [Google]
61zm7e+Q8CL._SL1417_.jpg
97 KB, 1417x1417
So daily, christmas albums aside, what albums get you in the festive mood?
>pic related
>>61247062
Merry christmas senpai, I usually enjoy Circulatory System's s/t or Mellow Gold
>>61247041
>>61247125
I'll check these out, ta lads, listening to Transformer now
>>61248100
Yes, but I think all I'll be getting is chocolate and debt until the sales
>>61248219
Merry Christmas senpai, why would santa bring me what I already have though? :^)
>>
File: cover.jpg (23 KB, 407x141) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
23 KB, 407x141
>>61249088
not even festive
it fits though
>>
Miles Davis- Kind of Blue
babby's first memejazz for a reason, probably the most famous example of an album that is group improvisation without being crazy free jazz

4/5
>>
>>61247687
Hybrid Noisebloom next!
>>
>>61249559
alrighty, firing it up
>>
Downloaded a shit-ton of chiptunes, got a SID player, too. This is gonna be a fun night. First up is an artist named Volker Meitz, who also seems to go by the name "PRI". He's done other music in more recent years, and it looks like most of these chiptunes were made in the early to mid 90s.
>>
new LCD Soundsystem track, that's a big deal to me

and it's pretty nice, feeling great listening to it over and over, this Christmas was pretty nice. hope your Christmas Eve was as fun as you hoped!

Might listen to something now
>>
>>61248100
I've been naughty
>>
File: Christmas Suicide.png (1 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Christmas Suicide.png
1 MB, 1000x1000
>>61243055
>Frankie Teardrop is the ultimate Christmas jam :)

I tried

>>61248490
I got an audible laugh out of that

>>61250241
Damn, new LCD Soundsystem track? That's a nice Christmas present. Guess I have to check that out.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 750x308) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 750x308
What y'all doing? I tried to listen to Swans while my family is watching a crap movie (pic related) and it's too loud to hear and I don't want to be the beta who goes to his room on Christmas Eve
>>
Merry Christmas /daily/

Here's to another year of great music!
>>
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good Kwanzaa!

>>61250761
Hang out with your senpai! I'm sure it'll be nice even if you're watching a dumb movie. I'm getting a head start on some reading for next semester while hoping this headache goes away so I can listen to music. Just watched Charlie Brown Christmas with my mom, so that was nice.
>>
>>61250995
>>61250761
That was supposed to say a shortened form of the word family, not "senpai"
>>
Get in the plug, we're playing shitty Christmas songs.
>>
Van Morrison- Astral Weeks
this was pretty good not gonna lie
5/5
>>
File: ElliottsmithXOalbumcover.jpg (49 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
ElliottsmithXOalbumcover.jpg
49 KB, 400x400
Really good
>>
File: Term and S.png (2 MB, 1255x682) Image search: [Google]
Term and S.png
2 MB, 1255x682
Wipers - Youth of America (1981)
>post-punk, punk rock

One of the all-time classic punk records, and I can see why. Everything here is solid, energetic post-punk, but its shocking how much the b-side ("No Fair" and "Youth of America") trumps the more flaccid and standard a-side. But those two tracks, goddamn. The way "No Fair" builds from its more atmospheric intro into its energetic and noisy conclusion is something to behold, and the Neu!-inspired 10 minute title track is legendary for a good reason. But despite the dissonance between the a and b-sides, I also have to complain about the production. It'd be real nice to actually be able to hear the drums sometimes, because it does seem like the drummer is laying down some nice groups, but I can't fuckin' hear them over the guitar and bass.

>>
I've heard 30 tracks from Volker Meitz (PRI) so far and I've liked all but four of them so far. Goddamn, this guy can just pump out fun melodies like it's nothing. And doing it all with the limitations of the SID chip is even more impressive. He doesn't overdo it on the arpeggios and his general sound leans towards danceable R&B and a little funk. So far, I've even heard that he covered two songs and did a good job with them, George Michael's "Careless Whisper" and Herbie Hancock's "Chameleon", although the second one isn't as in-depth as the source, unfortunately. Highly recommend you listen to this guy's stuff if you haven't already.
>>
File: Forgotten p4k-core.png (504 KB, 680x750) Image search: [Google]
Forgotten p4k-core.png
504 KB, 680x750
official semi-abandoned chart update

Term and S (obviously) and the What's in My Bag chart I'm still working thru, and I think I might do a chart where I go through every RYM jazz genre, a la the metal chart i did over the summer. Thoughts?
>>
>>61252797
sounds pretty good

just like London Calling does goddamn this is a good album
>>
>>61252813
yknow what, I've never listened to that fully. might give that a listen and forever associate it with christmas just like i accidentally did with discordance axis last year.
>>
>>61252875
it's pretty good so far
I don't like giving out two 5/5s in a row but I might have too unless sides 3 and 4 are absolute shite
>>
>>61252885
It's solid all the way through imo. Weird, I was thinking about London Calling earlier tonight.
>>
>>61252955
I agree
it's one of the only albums where I can say that every song is at least good if not great
>>
bumping
going to do rubber soul and be done with the beatles for a while what should i listen to after?
>>
>>61253446
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
definitely the worst of the beatles albums I've listened to so far. The first 4 tracks are pretty good, but it get's pretty boring after that
2.5/5
>>
File: lines.jpg (131 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
lines.jpg
131 KB, 1200x1200
Does anyone else fucking love this album?
>>
>>61253446
Fear of Music!
>>
>>61253921
Do you even like fun
>>
Good Morning /daily/!

Hope your presents didn't suck. I don't get mine till Commie Christmas aka New Year's Eve. Gonna go do more Vienna sightseeing today while listening to Furtwängler and WPO
>>
>>61254486
doing more songs and then fear of music

>>61254972
good morning doggy
although it's kinda still night to me as I have not given into the cold embrace of sleep yet
>>
>christmas is dead
>>
>>61255258
>Having a f a m
>>
>>61242873
gotta say ty newfriend for reminding me jack ü exists/came out this year, im revisiting and it might take my aoty runner-up spot
>>
Talking Heads- More Songs About Buildings and Food
I've always thought of this (and 77) as new wave for the paranoid, probably because of the spastic vocals. It's no wonder I really like this after 16 hours without sleep and 3 cups of coffee

4/5
>>
File: 1446128169215.gif (34 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1446128169215.gif
34 KB, 500x500
HEY EVERYONE HAPPY HOLIDAYS
>>
>>61255707
Talking Heads- Fear of Music
A transition album that is actually good in it's own right is pretty rare, but here's one. A blend of the last two's jittery paranoia and the bleepy funk of remain in light. A nice look at what's to come in the TH catalog without coming across as half assed

4/5
>>
>>61255796
happy holidays
gentle sempai
>>
File: 000 2015 chart.png (2 MB, 1472x1389) Image search: [Google]
000 2015 chart.png
2 MB, 1472x1389
Happy holidays everyone!

Did Santa get you any cool music? All he got me were 2 AnCo EPs :\

2015 chart is almost complete, what should I listen to?
>>
Merry Christmas /daily/!
I hope you all had a good time last evening and this morning.
>>
>>61256311
SUCK MY COCK AND FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU
>>
>>61256362
Thank you anon! I also wish you a happy new year!
>>
>>61256290
You liked the even oxen EP? That's neat man, I had no idea you even listened to it up until now.

Does your rating stop at 9 or 10? What does an album need to accomplish to get that score?
>>
>>61256438
I listened to the Even Oxen EP yesterday, I really liked it, especially when the noise kicks in in Pasture Grazing. My ratings stop at 10, for an album to reach that score, it has to be as close to perfection as possible. I don't really think there's a perfect album out there, so I'll give a 10 to the ones I feel have been the closest to accomplishing that.
>>
>>61256591
"Pet Sounds is a 10/10"

-Yamir the Reindeer, circa 2016 A.D.
>>
File: O.O.jpg (317 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
O.O.jpg
317 KB, 960x1280
heye good christmas :3
>>
>>61256792
Is it that time to post qt's already?
I'm hoping to eat a lot this Christmas
>>
what do you think of the track name
"Turin is a town where the fallen angels crash"
im thinking of partecipating in this comp >>61231235
>>
I'm thinking one more album before breakfast what should it be?
>>61256029

>>61256847
me too
it would be my noise debut so that's exciting
>>
>>61256860
yeah it will be me and my friend's debut on anything lmao
we've already kind of established how the track will be, we just have to record it
>>
File: 1448309642230.jpg (151 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1448309642230.jpg
151 KB, 800x800
need some recs for these days
>>61243576
>Anybody who's heard this album will know the inevitable complaint which I repeat here: the 25-minute synth-ambient sinker stuck in the middle
yup, i'm not a fan of it either, I forgot it existed when I decided to rec you it
the explanation Varg gives is that you're supposed to fall asleep while listening to it but it's still pretty meh
>>
>>61240482
>gimme jazz
Stan Getz & Eddie Sauter - Focus
The Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame
Johnny Dyani Quartet - Song for Biko
>>
Merry christmas
Hope you all survive it!

final list (for now):

1. Jim and Oren - Behold
2. Coin Locker Kid - Emphatica
3. Mark Vernon - Things Missed in the Clamour for Calm
4. Tashi Dorji - Appa
5. Lubomyr Melnyk - Rivers and Streams

>>61240142
Started playing it yesterday with the sound muted.
This made me turn it on and it's p qt, but aoty material? idk

>>61242873
Nana Grizol - Ruth
Crywank - Tomorrow is Nearly Yesterday
Jeffrey Lewis - It's the One's Who've Cracked

go see fidlar if they ever come perform near you
they put on one hell of a show
>>
File: 2522185.jpg (54 KB, 500x510) Image search: [Google]
2522185.jpg
54 KB, 500x510
listened to two first stooges albums today; the s/t is a nice album, however nothing too exciting, meanwhile the fun house is a whole lot of fun because of the way the songs are played. LA blues is a noisy improv track, works great as a closer
>>
I'm driving home with my mother and sister. We're listening to the Christmas channel and singing along. Good family times. I gave my niece a record player, amp, speakers and a Bowie record, i think she was pretty happy with that.
>>
>>61257405
why not finish off with raw power it's only 30 mins?
>>
File: IMG_20151224_224407.jpg (119 KB, 499x561) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151224_224407.jpg
119 KB, 499x561
>>61257405
bb do Raw Power too, make sure u get the iggy mix from 1997 though

Also merry christmas everyone!!
>>
This Year's Model was a very well done new wave album, Costello is one of my favorite songwriters in the genre, and in pop in general

Ok Computer next
>>
File: le meme man face.png (146 KB, 468x438) Image search: [Google]
le meme man face.png
146 KB, 468x438
>>61257471
sTOP POSTING THAT CAT PIC ITS ANNOYING
>>
>Fishmans - Long Season

There are some pieces of art that manage to connect emotionally with me in extremely strong ways. This record is no exception.

I don't even know where to begin with this.
Every sound is perfect: they are clean but they don't sound artificial because of their warmth, the execution is precise but not inhuman, because of the beautiful, harmonic melodies that always manage to innescate an emotional reaction in me. The voice of Shinji Sato is unique, and it delivers some absurdly strong moments.
The songwriting is also perfect: every instrument fits with one another, they never fight, and everyone has its place. Most importantly, all the little changes, the subtle layering, the melodic and harmonic progressions, the wonderful crescendos, the emotional climaxes, they all feel very, VERY natural. Nothing sounds forced nor out of place, it simply sounds right.

This in the first two parts.
Because after that we have an interlude, that's also my big problem with this album, probably the only thing that keeps it from being totally perfect.
Various abstract sounds alternate and suddenly a drum kit appears and it delivers an awesome solo, with a lo-fi quality and nice climaxes.
But despite sounding amazing when considered singularly, I think it doesn't fit. The third part is too aggressive, too out there to really fit with the rest of the album. And that's a shame, a real shame, because if it wasn't for that I would give this a 10, instantly.

[1/2]
>>
>>61257571

[2/2]

After that, the fourth part reintroduces that confortable, nice, warm vibe that I love, with an unbelievably good vocal performance. And finally, the fifth and final segment of this composition.
It uses the initial theme to build an intense crescendo, and it closes this album in the most perfect way possible, with another emotional peak.

Both ethereal and intense, precise but human, happy and sad, relaxing and moving, this album is one hell of a unique experience, check it out if you haven't already.

9/10

>>61257405
Rahw powah pls. Listen to both Bowie and Iggy mix, I would say.
>>
>>61257492
Ok I guess I will just post embarrassing pics of you next time
>>
>>61257581
reminder that i have embarassing pics of u too
so u better don't
>>
>>61257580
Yeah that album is basically amazing so it's good you liked it.

It's one of those albums that really nails so much variety and wonder in such a clean package. This is a very, very rare thing to find.
>>
>>61257610
Variety can be a poor artist's best friend honestly.
>>
>>61257667
Variety is *every* artist's best friend. Heaven knows the hell every art lover experiences combing through carbon copies upon carbon copies of tired styles.
>>
This LCD Soundsystem song is actually very good for a Christmas song.
What did you think about it? (or just say LCD are trash and you don't care about it which is the more probably answer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3kPH2MJzlg&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>61257766
I like it, definitely not their best song, but it has a nice melancholic vibe and I really like the final climax.
Also I really like the bells sounds, I find them kind of clever.
Still, I hope that this is a sign of more music from James Murphy and LCD, even if they technically broke up.
>>
>>61257684
Agreed. Most times it isn't that an album is bad in as much as it's just repetitive of the same nice qualities as before. If we take a look at the majority of /mu/ core we'd notice that was the underlying theme behind each acclaimed album there; not to mention just overall in history.
>>
>>61257766
I like it, kinda like a christmas version of New York I Love You in way
Has a nice emotional vibe, and the instrumentals are nice, not sure how it works outside of the christmas setting
It's not innovative or outstanding in their discogs, but it's nice to hear something new from them. Unsure if I want a reunion tho
>>
Radiohead- OK Computer
this is pretty close to perfect, but just off
4.5/5
I'll listen to the other 2 radiohead albums today
>>
new, lcd, new radiohead, best christmas in years
https://soundcloud.com/radiohead/spectre
opinions?
>>
>>61258049
I'm not really a radiohead fan but it really boggles my mind they'd choose Sam smith over radiohead
>>
>>61258049
I still don't like his voice very much, otherwise it sounds decent
>>
>>61248859
Gong - Flying Teapot
>>
>There's a new LCD Soundsystem song.
>It's a Christmas song.

>>61257308
It's a really well made soundtrack, very emotional and fun and I loved the game so much. But I agree it works better within the game.
>>
Merry Christmas /daily/
>>
>>61258981
Merry Christmas! : )
>>
File: hanna.jpg (90 KB, 556x710) Image search: [Google]
hanna.jpg
90 KB, 556x710
>that fuckin typo

what's up /daily/?
still celebrating christmas?
>>
>>61259317
Well, I'm listening to those Christmas EP by Subaru Stevens, so kinda
>>
>>61259366
are they different from his ususal stuff? Sadly I never saw the appeal of Sufjan
>>
>Sufjan Stevens - Joy - Songs for Christmas - Vol. IV

The weakest EP by far.
Here the songs are way more simple in the writing and in the arrangements, and this is the reason why I didn't like it as much as the others.
There is simply not that much going on, it just kinda comes and goes, without leaving that much.
Yes, the melodies are nice, Sufjan's voice is still amazing, there are some moments that are very enjoyable and "Hey Guys! It's Christmas Time!" is an amazing song, but overall this didn't impress me that much. I'm kind of disappointed by this.

6/10

>>61259392
Not that much really. I love him because his songs are extremely well written, with tons of arrangements and layering and well executed, his lyrics are very poetic, and i get a strong emotional response from them.
What exactly do you think about him?
>>
Hello! I'm back! Again! Merry Christmas!

>Harmonia - Musik von Harmonia

This album is a collection of solid kosmische tracks. I'll have to give it a few more listens to really figure out how I feel about this album, but for now at least, I think it's pretty excellent.
>>
>>61259523
>What exactly do you think about him?
standard indie-type singer-songwriter stuff with uninteresting instrumentation. I don't hate his music or anything, it's nice to listen to, but there's nothing outstanding for me. I usually don't care much for lyrics and never paid much attention on Suffy's, so maybe that's part of my opinion on his music.
what album would you recommend for a second chance?
>>
so all you guys do is make a collage of the albums you haven't listened to yet?
>>
>>61259811
Definitely "The Age of Adz" and "Enjoy Your Rabbit".
They are both electronic glitch fuckery with some pop elements, so maybe you'll dig them.
Or maybe you could try to listen to "Illinois" paying a lot of attention to the details of the songwriting, because that's one of the things I like the most about the man.
The lyrics of "Carrie and Lowell" plus a lot of his other emotional songs like "Casimir Pulanski Day" are pretty hard hitting, so check them out if you want.
>>
>>61259944
we also do themed charts and tourneys sometimes, plus weekly listenalongs
>>
>>61259944
Basically, or just stuff we want to listen to, maybe for the fifth time or something like that.
Or you could just pick what you want and maybe report back, like I started doing, since it's a lot more functional, at least for me.
>>
>>61259966
>>61259972

Alright thanks, and what if the albums don't have cover art? just upload it yourself?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Merry Christmas nerds, I got good presents
>>
>>61259955
ok, I'll give AoA a listen, thanks
>>61260035
did you get taste?
>>
Pretty happy about the new Radiohead track even though the drums sounded like shit and Thom's lyrics were eh. Jonny did a fantastic job with the strings. 7/10
>>
>>61260029
Yeah, topsters has a function to do that somewhere
>>
>Sufjan Stevens - Peace - Songs for Christmas - Vol. V

My favorite EP of this project.
There is an enormous variety in this half an hour of music: no song has the same style as another.
Not only that, but also every track is masterfully written and orchestrated, with great little arrangements and moments that make totally worth an active listening of this.
For these two reasons, this album is very, very dynamic and enjoyable.
Two stand outs are the joyful and moving "Get Behind Me, Santa!", which is simply an amazingly fun song, and the intense "Sister Winter", that during its length sets up a wonderful climax.
Ironically, I don't have that much to say about an EP so full of variety and content like this. Check it out, if it intrigues you, it's worth it.

8/10

>Sufjan Stevens - Songs For Christmas

So here we have it: 42 Christmas songs, 2 hours of Sufjan, and I don't regret going through it at all.
We have Christmas classic rearranged, and totally original compositions, and I've gotta say that I didn't find a difference between the two. The best songs here are definitely the more moving, the more rich, the more orchestrated, the more up-tempo, but there are still some little, slower, more emotional gems.
Well, actually, this doesn't really feel like a Christmas album, except for the lyrics, but I don't see anything wrong with that: it still has a super nice, comfortable, emotional, sometimes melancholic vibe that is a trademark of Sufjan, and that's all that matters for me.
If you want to dig into this project yourself, then do it: there are some weak tracks, but it's also full of amazing songs, and it has that classic Sufjan Stevens touch. Because of this, I would totally come back to this sometimes, even if it's only for that dozen of awesome tracks.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

7.5/10
>>
>P-Model - In A Model Room

In A Model Room is probably the most fun album I've heard in the past year. You can really tell that everyone involved with this album was having a great time making it. P-Model are like the Japanese DEVO, and I think that P-Model might be just as good, or even better, than the spudboys from Oho. That's no light praise either, as I have been a pretty big DEVO fan for a very long time. If you're a fan of their's as well, or like similar artists like Snakefinger or Hikashu, you owe it to yourself to listen to this.
>>
File: queue 12-25.png (1020 KB, 1160x1000) Image search: [Google]
queue 12-25.png
1020 KB, 1160x1000
>>61260570
i was going to put that release off a bit but you've changed my mind.

can't say i'm impressed with either the WLFGRL or Claw Eyes release on here
>>
>>61260570

>P-Model

FUCKING GOD TIER CHOICE ANON

The Bandleader, Susumu Hirasawa, is also famous for his solo work

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susumu_Hirasawa
>>
so many new people around here now

I'm prolly gonna listen to this P Model album, Warm Sofa been creaming himself over it for a long time.
Who hype for the new Bowie? The 2 new songs he released are my favourite Bowie songs so far (not that I've heard much Bowie)
>>
>>61260693
I'm leaving the singles off for the first album listen. Im hyped.
>>
>>61260829
you should be they're great great songs.
if he does a whole album of them it'll be something I'll be stuck with for a good time
>>
Did you get any music for christmas, /daily/? Does your family know what to get you?

My father got me this and I like this pianist a lot so it should be cool
>>
>>61260881
nope, my parents know I'm into music, but can't tell what I like
But I got some money, and I'm now trying to decide what to spend it on
>>
>>61260570
>>61260657
Guess I gotta listen to this P-model album then. Thems be some good reviews.
>>
>>61260932
I forgot my trip tho
>>
>>61260881
They gave me money for a new record player but don't really know what music to buy me. Bought me some clothes, Brothers Karamazov, A Farewell To Arms, the current New Yorker and some other stuff
>>
>>61260881
my parents got me a new microphone and Album Minus Band.
>>
collage.topsters.net?id=2b5da5c8b7c75776cbc55d2793fe9c5f

this isn't even all of it, just as much as I could fit

Tell me what to listen to
>>
>>61261051
Satori!
>>
File: b2.jpg (2 MB, 1573x1656) Image search: [Google]
b2.jpg
2 MB, 1573x1656
listened to everything i really wanted to hear from my old chart.
first reply picks what row i clear first.
>>
>>61261483
what is the shark album
>>
>>61261499
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/%EF%BD%87%EF%BD%81%EF%BD%8D%EF%BD%85%EF%BD%93%EF%BD%88%EF%BD%81%EF%BD%92%EF%BD%8B%E2%84%A2/shark_%E3%83%95%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%83%B3_%E3%82%B0%E3%81%B5%E3%82%8F%E3%81%A3%E3%81%A8/
>>
>>61261499
vaporwave i think.
it's interesting me because i checked out the guy's other works, and a lot of them seem to be legit.
https://echohazard.bandcamp.com/album/purple-record
>>
>>61261540
damn this is pretty shark
>>
File: this is gonna be a fun chart.png (3 MB, 1588x1857) Image search: [Google]
this is gonna be a fun chart.png
3 MB, 1588x1857
DO DODO DODO DODODODO
>>
File: 511JxNGbsXL[1].jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
511JxNGbsXL[1].jpg
39 KB, 500x500
Heaven or Las Vegas (1990) by Cocteau Twins, recommended by Terminus

I can't shake the feeling that this is a one-trick album. At first I thought it was just incredibly front-loaded, but actually I think all of the songs here are of at least decent quality. Some of them are absolutely stellar ('Cherry Coloured Funk', 'Iceblink Luck', and the title track). So this genuine tedium that amasses by the end of its otherwise meagre 37 minutes is, I think, down to a severely limited variety and palette. That makes sense, after all: the trap of a perfect solution is to exhaust the formula.

To a degree that doesn't matter much. Cocteau Twins have a singular sound here, which rings full of - pardon the drugs cliché - a certain narcotic sweetness. It's localised in Elisabeth Fraser's supremely androgynous, floating vocals, which sound as if through a filter of helium even before she pops the occasional falsetto note. From there it spreads into the slowed-down janglepop of the guitars, themselves high on chorus and echo pedals, as if The Smiths finally let themselves go. But above all, I love the curious harmonies. They do the same old force-fed chords, rich with added 7ths, and 9ths as you'd expect, but take them in absolutely unexpected directions. It could be something as simple as a long-held suspension during the verse suddenly collapsing into cadence for the chorus, or an unironic semitone key-change ('I Wear Your Ring'), but it never ceases to delight.

Perhaps contributing the weariness that catches up by the end of the record is the loudness of the mix. I'm hearing the remaster, but one hopes the original is a little less exhausting - everything has been brought right up so it shines incessantly but rather flatly too. It remains to be seen whether the album can secure a foothold in my rotation given how quickly it loses its appeal (sick from too much sugar), but it certainly is an impressive album of individual tracks, in the original sense of the word.
>>
File: daily freeleech 1.jpg (1 MB, 1508x832) Image search: [Google]
daily freeleech 1.jpg
1 MB, 1508x832
bvdub- I'll Only Break Your Heart
Brock Van Wey/bvdub is always incredible and that doesn't stop here. This differs a little form his other works in that the vocals are more in the forefront and it feels closer to ''rock'' in composition than his other stuff I've heard
Various Artists - Keyboard Studies (Keyboard Study 2 / Initiative (+Systèmes)
Terry Riley's part was a great, piano driven piece (Keyboard Study huehue) but the other wasn't as engaging to me
The Alan Parsons Project- Eve
More soft-prog rock from them. There was a really misogynistic song here about it being better to be a man than a slave (a woman) but otherwise this checks off the rest of their boxes, if not as thoroughly as their prior two releases
Godflesh- Pure
More focused than ever in their seething hatred
Oxbow- Serenade in Red
Things were actually ''pretty'' at times! While the two bands started around the same time, toward the end some of the vocal deliveries reminded me of Cobain's from Bleach and In Utero
Duster- Apex, trance-like
<3
Natasha Kmeto- Inevitable
Concept album detailing her first relationship with a woman. The concept provides a throughline throughout the album but some of the dazzling directions she took with the music on her debut are absent here. ''I Thought You Had a Boyfriend'' is a jam though.
Bedhead - 4SongCDEP19:10
>>
>>61261882
>>61248729
termi wins
>>
>>61261831

I'm highly biased but my suggestion is the Katamari Damacy OST

Lonely Rolling Star tho
>>
>>61261483
no takers?
>>
>>61262109
Bottom row idk i've never heard any of those but i know cshr, and the simple gifts records is supposed to be incredible.
>>
>>61262131
on it.
>>
Bump

What are you guys doing? I'm listening to The For Carnation's s/t in a bathtub and shitposting
>>
>>61261483
don't be a faggot, listen to columns instead of rows. Go 3rd
>>
>>61262961
just gave a doner to the rym campaign, i slept thru my tournament records last night oops. gonna eat with the family soon and then get on those
>>
File: jzdc.jpg (137 KB, 1200x1154) Image search: [Google]
jzdc.jpg
137 KB, 1200x1154
merry christmas /daily/! Im'ma talk about what I've been bumping to get comfy.

John Zorn - A Dreamers Christmas (2011)
>jazz, christmas music

Its Zorn and co. doing Christmas music (ironic, I know), but it doesn't have any of that signature Zorn goofiness we've all come to expect, and it suffers because of that. As a standard Christmas album, its great. But unlike Low's Christmas EP or the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack, I could never see myself listening to this at anytime besides Christmastime.

2.0+ for actual musicality and enjoyment.
3.5 for Christmas comfiness.
>>
File: second of october.png (2 MB, 1320x1320) Image search: [Google]
second of october.png
2 MB, 1320x1320
Some stuff I should have updated earlier

>Washington Phillips - The Key to the Kingdom
Just beautiful music. Phillips plays his mystical instrument and sings his gospels in the kind of heartfelt way that makes you wish you could believe in something the way that man did. The palette of sounds may be very limited as a result of it being one instrument and vocals for twenty tracks, but when the music is this comforting and uplifting I am quick to forgive (also, the songs were recorded in the 1920's). 8/10

>Harold Budd - The Pavilion of Dreams
Dreamy minimal compositions drift around, sometimes aimlessly, but always pretty. The sax on the first track flirts with smooth jazz but doesn't veer into cheesy territory, also because it makes sense in the context of the music (very gorgeous marimba and glockenspiel). Not necessarily as charmed of the track that follows, simply consisting of harp and operatic female voice. The third track feels like what the second track should have been, with the vocals being molded into a choir and more instruments surrounding the harp. The final track feels like an afterthought, still quite beautiful, but it doesn't feel like anything we haven't heard before by now. Another problem is that the two best tracks (1 and 3) are too long (both about 28 minutes) and end up feeling a little aimless. One can only take in so much wondrous sounds before those sounds lose their magic. 7/10
>>
>>61263613
Key to the Kingdom? More like key to my heart
>>
>>61262961
I'm listening to Animals while having dissassociative episodes probably from sleep deprivation
>>
File: Evol[1].gif (66 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Evol[1].gif
66 KB, 300x300
EVOL (1986) by Sonic Youth, recommended by TrapInfluences

Brooding, dark, and melancholic: true to their name, this record speaks of adolescence. It's a knuckle-dragging one, that's for sure. After a deceptively charged start (including the top track, 'Shadow of a Doubt' with Kim Deal's suitably shadowy/doubtful vocals leading), things take a downturn for the most part. I don't mind that so much, but I do think Sonic Youth do the more energetic stuff much better. Most of EVOL is more dull than anything.

It sort of makes sense by the closing sequence, anyway. 'Madonna, Sean, and Me' would make a perfect closer really, working up from the depths into a final explosion before closing with a drawn-out ripple and echo all within the space of one track. Unfortunately it gets followed up with the most upbeat cut of all, 'Bubblegum', which is naff and banal as the title suggests. It's a really odd and unfortunate sequencing.

Perhaps that's the worst of the album's problems. The teenage angst is palpable here, and not expressed in a relatable way. In fact if anything I'd call it phoney, put-on, artificial. Even at worst that's pretty unoffensive. I think I just hoped for more.
>>
>>61263210
i'll be alternating between rows and columns.
>>
>>61263613
>Dennis Duck - Goes Disco
Made in 1977, this has to be one of the very first albums to dive into entirely sample-based music so unscrupulously. Indeed, most of this record seems made out of samples from radio broadcasts and educational shows, warped and looped to create something resembling music, kind of. I say kind of, because as interesting as this record is as a historical document, it's not exactly an inviting listen. Duck has a quirky brand of humor to keep this album going, and most certainly it's not a terrible listen (in fact, I enjoyed myself), but is it a record I would return to often? Ehh, not really. Its proto-Negativland soundscapes have been fleshed out by, well, Negativland, and as a result the biggest fault of this record is that it's ahead of its time, but the others caught up to it soon after. I recommend this, for it's an interesting listen, but you have to be a specific kind of person to find a favourite in this one. 6/10

>>61263654
Iof only all christian music was of this quality. The only christian music I know that I love besides this is Talk Talk's last two albums.
>>
Oh, I almost forgot it's saturday tomorrow
Listenalong time with Eruditey (>>61260959)
>>
File: 000 2015 chart.png (2 MB, 1472x1389) Image search: [Google]
000 2015 chart.png
2 MB, 1472x1389
>>61260881
My dad got me two AnCo EPs so yeah

Is Oblivion Access better than Third Side of Tape? I kinda wanna swap it out cause more people are talking about Oblivion Access and TSoT is like 2 hours long
>>
>John Zorn - The Gift
A Christmas present from Zorn, I guess! Idk, figured it would be fun to play now. In reality, it's more inoffensive than anything else. It's very laid-back jazzy exotica and it's all sounding fine, but it's also pretty dull and background music fodder. It reminded me of Marc Ribot & The Prosthetic Cubans (not a surprise seeing how Ribot is on here), but that record, while relaxing also provided some actual tunes. Overall, this record is harmless, but I guess I prefer it when my music tries to harm a little. 5.5/10
>>
File: KSAY-3N.jpg (64 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
KSAY-3N.jpg
64 KB, 500x500
I'll post the listenalong!

Sun Ra - Sleeping Beauty
>jazz

https://mega.nz/#F!P8pkwIZY!sBdBLaS_e4kMhFOJGmz-eg

This is 30 minutes so should be easy to fit in!

(also, do I make the template thingy or do you do that, kanzler?)
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 114

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.