[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So today at work I finally gave To Pimp a Butterfly a listen...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 1424757351542.jpg (265 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1424757351542.jpg
265 KB, 1440x1080
So today at work I finally gave To Pimp a Butterfly a listen... And I thought it was pure fucking garbage, every song was a chore to listen to and I felt angry at myself after for wasting all of the time listening to it.

Do I just have horrible taste or is it a bad album?
>>
TPAB is Anno's favorite album
>>
it's memerap, of course it's a bad album, but you're an idiot for thinking it might be good and probably have bad taste as a result
>>
>>61199198
>Do I just have horrible taste or is it a bad album
idk maybe man. Who's to say? I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with liking or disliking it right?
>>
The praise it gets is mainly from those with a fairly narrow view of hip hop who only listen to blog hype, so genuinely think its new or interesting to have jazz influences and social commentary in a hip hop album.
>>
>>61199318
are you retarded?

nobody likes TPAB "because it has social commentary". that would be fucking stupid.
>>
>>61199198
You don't appear to be guilty enough about your race. Read up on privilege and why you get everything handed to you on a plate then try again.
>>
>>61199345
They might not like it because of that but it would not have been as universally praised without it
>>
>>61199198
I listened to it several times a few months ago, I also thought it was shit, only songs i likes a bit where king kunta and interlude dick aint free or whatever the fuck it is called and thats only because these were the most funky and jazzy songs.

I dont like rap
>>
>>61199198
no, it means you're fine

rap & hip hop are objective garbage tier music
>>
>>61199318
>>61199674
When I read shit like this, I always wonder if the poster actually listened to the album or just saw the hype and thought, I'm going to be a contrarian. The album is not a social commentary, it's about Lamar's life in general, and of course social commentary plays a part in it.

In that sense, I'd compare it to Pink Floyd's The Wall - it's not solely about politics (or daddy issues), but if you never listened to it and instead followed the endlessly repeated meme you would think it was. Think for yourselves instead of letting your taste be defined by reviewers, blogs or memes.

You may think your taste is unique if you disagree with the mainstream opinion, but instead you let the mainstream define it in the opposite direction.
>>
See

>>61199672
>>
>>61199345
>nobody likes TPAB "because it has social commentary".
p4k certainly does
>It's also Black as fuck. "Blackness" is a concept that remains fluid and intangible, but so solid that one can feel it when it’s present. And it was all over Butterfly. From the opening notes (a sample of Boris Gardiner's "Every Nigger Is a Star") to the closing—a fabricated conversation with Tupac Shakur—the album is packed with Blackness
>>
>>61199832
I have listened to it, and I thought it was good, although gkmc was better imo.
The issue I take with it is that it is being held up as the best album of the decade based on racial politics and not musical merit (it's good but not that good in my opinion). I understand that other people may think it is the best album of the decade MUSICALLY but I challenge you to find me a 9/10 / 10/10 review that doesn't resort to some racially fuelled diatribe when explaining what makes it good - every one I have seen refers to the voice of the disadvantaged black man finally breaking free or some shit.
>>
>>61199917
fucking cucks
>>
>>61199198
"wasted all that time listening to it"
you don't listen to albums very often do you

Could try listening to it again in a different environment when you're in a better mood, if you still hate it then you probably just don't like it
nothing wrong with disliking an album
>>
>>61199917
That's why I say you should judge for yourself, instead of listening to the reviews
>>
The entire album is the BET network is music form, from start to finish.
>>
>>61199345
>nobody likes TPAB "because it has social commentary"
literally everyone does
>>
>>61199198
Quints say you've just got bad taste m8
>>
>>61200000
shit get
>>
>>61200000
Nice

OP has bad taste
>>
>>61200000
/thread
>>
>>61200000
but TPAB is a mediocre album.....
>>
>>61199944
As I said I thought it was maybe an 8.
I guess it is the inner contrarian in me that compells me to argue against tpab even though I like it, it's just the reasons given for it being the best album of the decade fall flat in my eyes; the jazz while done well is basically a shortcut to appear "3 deep" and is pretty basic, the spoken word/"slam poetry" is pretentious and intrinsically linked to my previous qualm, which is the ever present spectre of race and the popular assumption that society caters to white men while disadvantaging everyone else, which I don't agree with. I think this racial commentary is the real reason tpab is critically lauded to the extent it is, and the other features I talked about wouldn't be so praised (p4k called them genre busting which is complete bullshit) if they didn't serve this, currently popular, agenda.
>>
>>61200000
you suck op
>>
What is the Evangelion of anime?
>>
>>61200207
death grips
>>
>>61200000
SCRIPT
>>
>>61200207

you mean of music?

bleach. whether you like it or not, you know it exists
>>
>>61199345
>nobody likes TPAB "because it has social commentary".

Here's your (You)
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 400x363) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 400x363
>>61200000
Quints of truth
>>
>>61201573
Wrong
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.