[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which artist are you /mu/'s resident expert on?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 27
File: dog-riding-dolphin.jpg (56 KB, 535x240) Image search: [Google]
dog-riding-dolphin.jpg
56 KB, 535x240
Which artist are you /mu/'s resident expert on?
>>
Moonman

K K K
>>
Giraffes? Giraffes!
Know a decent bit about AnCo too (especially Panda Bear, he resonates a lot with me as a fellow drumbro)
>>
Minutemen

that's because in 2009 the only thing i listened to were Minutemen and Mike Watt's projects after Boon died, i was obsessed, i've read and watched anything related to them.
>>
Big Blood

Maybe Grouper too but I'm not 100% sure about that one because /mu/'s Grouper fanbase tends to keep quiet, there might be someone who out-experts me hiding in the shadows
>>
Nine Inch Nails
Where my /nin/ bros at
>>
XV parówek
I know him.
>>
>>60763070
tell me your top 3 big blood releases right now
>>
Travis Miller
I am me is him
>>
>>60762984
The Who and I don't even fucking listen to them
Blame a friend
>>
The Sisters Of Mercy
>>
Me
>>
>>60763183
I probably know more than you, don't be so full of yourself
>>
I've heard over 60 albums that Otomo Yoshihide has been a part of, but I still couldn't write the guy's biography or anything, so I dunno.
>>
>>60763131
But I love them all so much
If I had to narrow it down to just three, I think I'd go with Strange Maine 11.04.06, Already Gone I and Dead Songs
Subject to change however
>>
Nick Drake
>>
deerhunter/atlas sound probably
>>
The Beatles :^)
>>
>>60763232
ok good choices u can be the expert
mines prob strange sew your days 1, & bleedin hearts, and radio valkyrie
i havent listened to either double days yet though
are they good
>>
>>60763038
Minutemen were fucking amazing.
Do you happen to know any bands that kind of sound like them? I don't know any...
>>
File: cover.jpg (199 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
199 KB, 500x500
Elliott Smith here.

and [spoiler] Nirvana [/spoiler]

Ask me anything.
>>
>>60763308
>u can be the expert
Th-thanks family

The first Double Days is pretty unremarkable imo apart from a fucking amazing Cure cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5BglRyjlsk
The second one is definitely better, not exactly my fav Big Blood album but I still really enjoyed it
>>
>>60763321
Mission of Burma
Hüsker Dü
fIREHOSE
Gang of Four
NoMeansNo

try these, they're your best bet for something similar.
>>
>>60763363
were they murdered
>>
Porcupine Tree and anything Steven Wilson related
>>
[spoiler] Rammstein [spoiler]
>>
>>60763321
Check out the album Buy by the Contortions
>>
>>60763458
I've already listened to all of those exept for fIREHOUSE which is on my backlog.

I'm talking specifically about that mix of hardcore and funk, but that's probably non existent or some kind of tribute band

>>60763563
I'll check it out
>>
MGMT
>>
Bright Eyes but only b/c nobody else likes that shit : (
>>
>>60762984
what do you mean by expert?
>>
>>60763477
Probably not, although they both wanted to die. Once you get to a certain point in the business, almost everything you do is planned out for you. You're forced to live a life re-living the pains and struggles that got you to that point in the first place. Elliott's career was fueled by severe depression and alcoholism, and Kurt's by teenage angst. They both felt they were being mentally tortured with record contracts forcing them to put out more records that would still be rejected if they were too far off from the sound that got them famous. Elliott even wrote to Dreamworks threatening to take his own life if they would not let him go. So he turned to heroin around this peroid, not sure if it was because of the breakup with Joanna Bolme or the pressure from his music. All I know was that he was NOT on heroin for the release of his self titled album and was primarily an alcoholic. I have this crazy theory that he based his persona off of Eliot Rosewater from the Kurt Vonnegut books. But we can talk about that later. Kurt turned to heroin when he was rejected by Tobi Vale of Bikini Kill, before Nirvana even gained the worldwide credibility they had today. I think when you're in a position where you're pressured to put out good material and hard drugs become more and more accessible with the money you're making and places you go, the temptation to do them is real. Now for Elliott, if the autopsy report really confirmed that there were no hesitation marks, and Jennifer Chiba, a trained medical professional, pulled the fucking knife out of his chest, then there is a high probability that Elliott either planned this out with her (told her to kill him), actually did stab himself, or was murdered by her, which is very believable considering how depressing his music already is, how easy it'd be to make up a sob story. I don't even think he loved Chiba that much. Elliott was mainly upset about publicly displaying so much sadness and worrying his pare
>>
I bet I like Beach House more than anyone else on this board.
>>
>>60762984
Work Drugs
>>
>>60763651
tell me some cool beach house facts m8
>>
>>60762984
half-ashamedly: odd future
>>
>>60763651
thats not something to be proud of
>>
All Kpop artists
>>
>>60763598
bright eye are ok. i have seen them live
>>
>>60763642
nts and family. Kurt, on the other hand, loved the hell out his mother and most of her side of the family, and of course, Courtney. This is because Kurt comes from a family of divorce and his family with Courtney and Frances was crucial to him, it was so important for him to just finally get the security of a stable family he always longed for as a child. So this point makes it very shocking that he actually killed himself. Now I didn't watch Soaked in Bleach, because I think it's fucking bullshit, but I know a lot about this guy. He planned out his entire life. He was kind of a sociopath. His dream from the start was to become a famous musician, a rock star, and go out in a flash of glory, like Evel Kneivel. Later it was punk rock, then back to rock n' roll and the 27 club. So there's no doubt that he either forsaw this to happen or planned it. He "writes" in his journal or somewhere (we think), that his death would "save" Frances and Courtney from a life of slandering. After all, tabloids were really very cruel to them. When someone like Kurt or Elliott dies, they have heaps and heaps of quality unreleased music that they saved for quite potentially this reason: For their families to make money off of royalties from the unreleased music by releasing it slowly over the course of many years, and people worshipping them only makes it easier and more rewarding. Hendrix is a prime example of this. Honestly these people (Hendrix included) hated themselves and didn't want anyone else to experience the pain they did, which is why they put out beautiful music and gave their lives to it. I think it's not really even important whether or not they were murdered, because in the end, they're gone anyway.
>>
>>60763598
That's where youre wrong.
>>
File: 3230.jpg (728 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
3230.jpg
728 KB, 1200x1600
The Dave Brubeck Quartet probably. I'm not even an really an "expert" but I am the only one I've noticed who has posted them in the past year, other than Time out, the token cool jazz album.
>>
mewithoutYou is all me bich
>>
Stam1na and maybe The Tallest Man on Earth
>>
Pavement
Bob Dylan
Sleater-Kinney
>>
>>60763914
Which album should I go to next if I thought Ten Stories was meh, really really liked Catch for us the Foxes and Pale Horses is my AOTY and my favourite of their albums I've heard
>>
Death Grips
>>
Everything on and related to Blue Swan Records
>>
>>60763747
Me too in 2011. Would have loved to been around in the early 00s.

>>60763842
Yeah fair. Gotta cover my ass though
>>
>>60763304
fag
>>
File: beach-house-1.jpg (76 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
beach-house-1.jpg
76 KB, 600x450
>>60763684
Saltwater is a cover of this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b82mZ8uw0sg

PPP stands for Piss Poor Planning which was a term used in the 70's when referrencing unplanned pregnancies

Alex & Victoria met on a porch during a mutual friend's party

Saltwater was the first piece of music they made together

Silver Soul is about a scene in Twin Peaks

The girl on the TYLS cover is Victoria's mother
u might not have seen these Cool Beach House Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-PQzBRnYBY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9bcJRr52Xk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW7IdPcXw1Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7eOOJj9sFQ
>>
Phil Elverum or Alex G
>>
File: blood_enough.png (20 KB, 979x217) Image search: [Google]
blood_enough.png
20 KB, 979x217
>>60763914
fight me
>>
>>60764108
*Lovelier Girl is a cover not Saltwater
>>
>>60764051
Brother, Sister.
>>
Tennis
>>
>>60764099
i saw them in 2005 but yea a real early show would have been cool to see. every day and every night EP is still my favourite of theirs
>>
Rafael Mendez
>implying anyone on /mu/ knows who he is
>>
>>60764173
true but i bet everyone has heard his rendition of flight of the bumble bee
>>
>>60764204
That's probable, although I don't think it's his most musical or most impressive work.
>>
SPK, Zoviet France, and a bit of early powerelectronics like Atrax Morgue.
>>
Kanye
>>
>>60764128
Interesting
Thanks family
>>
>>60764108
I just want you to know I'm in love with Victoria
>>
>>60764162
2005 was cool! I haven't got into the whole americana thing so kinda tail off after then to be honest. Digital Ash as a continuation of like, 'I Will Be Grateful For This Day' etc. i still love

But ye, '99-'02 I would have fallen so hard for all of it
>>
>>60762984
grandaddy
>>
Probably Sun Araw. Maybe John Fahey since I read his book.
>>
File: 1448207566920.jpg (155 KB, 758x1200) Image search: [Google]
1448207566920.jpg
155 KB, 758x1200
>>60764237
If you like or hate that, regardless, listen to [A-->B] Life next.
>>
I'd say GAS (Wolfgang Voigt) or Grouper
>>
>>60764618
In the past few weeks I've started loving those two artists. Can you reccommend me something else?
>>
>>60764618

Dear Gas/Grouper expert,

Pop is one of my top 10 albums, do you know of any others that sound even remotely similar to it?
I've heard that the Mille Plateaux version of his s/t is way better that the more circulated Nah Und Fern version, is that true? Is it worth seeking out?
Why was Ruckverzuberang (or however the fuck it's spelled) 10 so shit?
Where do you rate Ruins in Grouper's discography?

Love and kisses, Anon
>>
One Direction

(At the point where Zayne leaving feels like good thing)
>>
>>60764253
As someone who has only listened to Under the Western Freeway, what should I know/listen to?
>>
>>60763896
Their Jazz Impressions albums are great too, deserve more attention than they get
>>
>>60765078
What's your favorite One Direction song? What do you like about them? What would you recommend a non-listener to get into?
>>
>>60762984
In pretty sure no one on /mu/ has listened to more Incubus than me. I was pretty obsessed with them from age 12-15 to the extent that I hardly listened to any other band at that time.
>>
a lot of the "bedroom pop" artists: foxes in fiction, sam ray, definitely alex g
>>
Mark Kozelek for sure. ASK ME ANYTHING.
>>
Butthole Surfers up to Locust Abortion Technician

Maybe Big Black
>>
Pre-2000 Oasis
>>
>>60765683
Down Colourful Hill or Rollercoaster?
>>
>>60762984
Lady SOV
>>
>>60765490
Favorite song a toss up between Happily and story of my life.

Why I like them their sound changes a lot but you can tell it's still them. You can see the growth from Harry and Zayne carrying most of the sound to everyone contributing. Made in the AM sounds like something they wanted to write, they love what they do and it shows. Sure they're over produced boy band but their stuff is still good.

Recs? Made in the AM and Four. Go in without expectations and you'll come out with a fave or two. The point is to remember they grew into their sound and it shows.
>>
Queen or Gorillaz because apparently I'm the only person here who still listens the fuck out of them.
>>
>>60765756
Down Colorful Hill. I love both, but Rollercoaster has a couple sour moments, whereas DCH doesn't in my eyes. I pin this as a result of the fact that those few songs on DCH had been years in the making.
The originality is there on both, but more so on DCH, especially with Lord Kill The Pain, which in my opinion is a very unorthodox song for RHP, especially for that era.
>>
>>60765639
m8 my gf has been listening to incubus for the past 8 years, I think she might have autism desu

>>60765830
is there a Queen album without excessive vocal harmonies?
>>
Autechre
>>
>>60765863
>without excessive vocal harmonies

Not really. It's sorta part of the package. [spoiler]I wouldn't call it excessive, though.[/spoiler]
>>
>>60762984
Childish MUTHAFUCKING GAMBINO
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
Action Bronson
Mac Miller
>>
The Beach Boys. I'm confident on that one.
>>
>>60765946
>I wouldn't call it excessive, though.

yeah it's part of their charm for sure but it really annoys me for some reason, still, just the other day I caught on tv their live show at rainbow in 1974 and it was pretty amazing
>>
JG Thirlwell. That's right, even all the side projects.
>>
Jbennetix
>>
File: current value.jpg (10 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
current value.jpg
10 KB, 225x300
>>60762984
This dude
>>
>>60765995
>not boom-ding

that autismo posts in every beach boys thread senpai
>>
The KLF, James Brooks/Elite Gymnastics, birth and death of vaporwave, most of the early jungle and breakbeat hardcore scene.
>>
>>60763642
>>60763793
thanks
>>
>>60763098

right here mate.

Rush and NIN I consider myself experts on.
>>
>>60765995
how big is mike loves dick
>>
man probably animal collective if i'm being honest here

couldn't tell you much about deakin though so maybe not
>>
absolutely libythth
>>
the strokes

it was when i was a pleb but i still love them with all my heart
>>
john maus and kanye
>>
coheed and cambria
melvins
sleep
>>
Pink Floyd
Daft Punk

>>60766990
What's Coheed and Cambria's best album ? I think I want to start getting into them.
>>
>>60764159
tennis is my favourite sprt and this is my favourite band
>>
Swans. I can name full personnel for every album in the Swans catalogue and their contributions. I know a bunch of background stuff about them and have met/talked with the current incarnation. Have memorized the lyrics to several albums top go bottom.
>>
>>60767029
general consensus says their second album, "In Keeping Secrets". I say their third, "Good Apollo Volume 1".

Their first is more post hardcore than anything, second through fourth are prog rock with some pop songs, 5th is more experimental, 6/7th are just kinda meh "rock" and their latest is trash, skip it.
>>
File: rabbit habits.png (3 MB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
rabbit habits.png
3 MB, 1425x1425
fucking man man, boys
>>
The Books
>>
Jay Reatard

&

Harry Nilsson
>>
>>60763578
Check out The Dicks and The Big Boys, both hardcore bands from texas, and I'm pretty sure the Big Boys incorporate funk into their sounds. The Dicks Vocalist just sounds a bit like D boon
>>
>>60767087
which album is their best and why is it the way out?
>>
>>60762984
Swim well, pupper
>>
>>60767070
k thx bb
>>
>>60763498
is there anything from the 90s by pt thats worth listening to? the first album i heard by them was in absentia and that's a fucking masterpiece.
>>
>>60767117
heart emoji
>>
>>60765721
Our Band Could Be Your Life?
>>
>>60767106
They're my fav band, so I've kind of given up on choosing a favorite, but Lost and Safe was the one I would say for a long time. I enjoy them all for different reasons, though - The Way Out was a very appropriate final album
>>
>>60762984
modest mouse. ive listened to ~12 hours of rarities
>>
Probably no one, since I am the opposite of a completist — I like knowing that my favourite artists have released records I haven't listened to yet, and I like to have as many artists as possible in my discography rather than everything by a few.

>>60763205
> Otomo Yoshihide
What are your favourites? I like most of what I've heard from him.

>>60764232
>Zoviet France
>>60766057
>JG Thirlwell. That's right, even all the side projects.
I like them very much too.
>>
>>60767208
I will fight you for that title
>>
Coaltar of the Deepers.
>>
>>60767169
lost and safe was awesome. i can't get over the way out, but i like your opinions.
>>
>>60766120
I'll always remember the first time I listened to "Drill". Roughest sound I had ever heard at the time
>>
Godspeed and basically anyone from the Montreal scene
>>
>>60767208
Have you heard the version of Leaflets Gabe that is exclusive to the Secretly Canadian a capella album? I just found out about it!
>>60767327
Thanks! Yours ain't too shabby either. If you're looking for something similar, you might want to check out the collaborations between Nils Frahm and F.S. Blumm
I think they were influenced by 'em
>>
Sweep The Leg Johnny for sure
>>
>>60765995
Have you seen/Did you like Love & Mercy?

Would you recommend:
>I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
>Beautiful Dreamer
>Summer Dreams
>An American Family
?

>>60766125
I was just thinking that I kinda miss him when I clicked on this thread. Him and Friendo.
>>
Orchid
>>
Talking Heads/David Byrne
>>
>>60767063
Favorite and least-favorite period?
>>
unwound

fucking love unwound
>>
Ratatat :^)
>>
>>60767526
an american family portrays brian as an acid guzzling headcase. van dyke parks is a pretentious fruity nerd and a destructive influence on brians life. they use actual beach boys songs up until 'smile' at which point, because they are trying to portray it as crazy nonsense music, they use generic 'crazy sounding' incidental music.
funny how the same story can inspire completely opposite retellings/versions of history
https://arkhonia.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/smile-my-first-25-years-the-beach-boys-an-american-family-tv-movie-special-2000/
>>
In high school I was the RHCP expert, then I became obsessed with The Froosh (JUST) and Henry Rollins for two years after. Gimme your worst bully.
>>
>>60767526
>Have you seen/Did you like Love & Mercy?

Yeah. It's fuckin' good.

Beautiful Dreamer and IJWMfTT are both good, particularly Beautiful Dreamer. Summer Dreams and An American Family, not so much. Brian hates the latter for a good reason. I also recommend Endless Harmony: The Beach Boys Story as it was written by Alan Boyd who's an archive manager for Brother Records and one of the main compilers for the Smile Sessions.
>>
>>60767357
It's definitely up there as one of his better songs, and is probably the best out of his collabs with Donny (other than maybe Bruja.) Shame he doesn't go nearly as hard anymore, he's pretty much done the closest thing he possibly could to 'selling out' as of late and it seems to be making him more money and getting him more recognition than ever before. Hell, the last truly experimental thing he's done was under the fucking Machine Code moniker, and that's supposed to be the less abrasive project. At this point he'll probably never do anything super experimental or interesting for at least a few years other than the occasional backlog release, and even that will probably stop.
>>
>>60763642

Where did you get the idea he turned to heroin because he was rejected by Vale? Did he not tell everyone in his life he did it because of his undiagnosed stomachs pains? I believe Buzz Osbourne himself said this year when interviewed about Montage of Heck that Kurt confided in him at a young age that the stomache pain thing was bullshit and he just really, really liked opiates.
>>
I think I'm one of the bigger Phil fanatics on here.
>>
>>60763793
>I think it's not really even important whether or not they were murdered, because in the end, they're gone anyway.
Damn. nice way to end it
>>
>>60767709
Wow.

I heard it was pretty inaccurate, but that's ridiculous.

>>60767726
And thanks as well. Just wanted to confirm suspicions and not go off of Wikipedia 100%
>>
File: tumblr_ltyomjqyf31r4d219o1_500.jpg (78 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ltyomjqyf31r4d219o1_500.jpg
78 KB, 500x334
Genesis

the only albums I haven't pretty much entirely memorized every bit by now are Genesis to Revelations and Calling all Stations.

who /genesis/ here?
>>
>>60767834
this was an actual scene in it
>>
>>60767812
Can I get a bio of him? Also, why does he love nature so much and how much of the Microphones is just him or the dozen other people that no one seems to know much about?
>>
>>60767907
Are you >>60724155?

>>60767929
Lmao
>>
>>60767063
>Swans
I'm getting into swans, which of their albums has the best energy? I love Soundtracks for the Blind around 51 minutes in, sorry i only listened to albums so far and don't have any song titles
>>
the Mountain Goats
>>
>>60767746
Buzz Osbourne is full of shit. He pretty much just said Kurt was pulling everyone chain when about being depressed and the stomach ailment
Also if that's the case then how do we know he wasn't pulling his chain?
>>
>>60768002
>>60768002
hahahahahahaha no but i posted right after that guy - i'm >>60724319
>>
>>60767610
Give me some fun facts about Unwound. I'm a pretty big fan, I'll be impressed if you can come up with something I haven't already heard
>>
I am the Master of Knowledge when it comes to Panopticon, Listener, and Author & Punisher

>three shitty bands
such is life
>>
Boris and Dir en Grey
>>
>>60768060
give me the chords to malted milk & the moon song pls?
>>
File: The Legendary Pink Dots.jpg (334 KB, 900x593) Image search: [Google]
The Legendary Pink Dots.jpg
334 KB, 900x593
>>60767610
Why do people think that Leaves Turn Inside You is their best album?
>>60763205
Nice. I've been getting into onkyo / eai, and have been into noise for a while now. I've wanted to get into some of his stuff, only have heard collabs, ground zero, and Anode. Any recs?
>>60768251
>Boris
Did you like those three new albums at all? Do you think anything good can come from them?
>>
>>60767907
I want to get into Genesis. What album should I start with?
>>
>>60768320
>Did you like those three albums at all
Not really desu but Surrender is one my new favorite song.

I really want to hear Eros. Like badly.
>>
Xasthur
>>
>>60767599
Favorite: post-rock Swans
Least: gothic Swans
>>60768020
What kind of energy? What kind of emotional character are you seeking?
>>
>>60762984
Sonic Youth
Fugazi
Slint
>>
File: image.jpg (451 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
451 KB, 1024x681
The Black Lips
>>
Pink Floyd I guess.

>>60763598
Not true.
>>
Neutral Milk Hotel
AMA
>>
>>60768641
why is the milk neutral?
>>
>>60768339

1/2

The thing with Genesis is they change so much over the years - so, it depends what kind of stuff you like.

If you like weird prog, start off with Foxtrot. Then Selling England, Nursery Cryme, the Lamb, Wind and Wuthering.

If you are into melodic music, both soft and hard, go Wind and Wuthering, The Lamb, Selling England, Trespass, Trick of the Tail

If you like catchy and really strong prog stuff, go Duke, Abacab, Wind and Wuthering, Nursery Cryme

If you want to get into their most generic prog catalog, do Selling England, Foxtrot, Trick, The Lamb

The lineup changed a lot over time. It's Tony Banks (keyboard) and Mike Rutherford (guitar/bass) the whole time. Phil Collins (drums/vocals past 1975) is there for every album except the first two and the last one (1971-1991). Steve Hackett, lead guitarist, was on from 1971-1977 and this period is considered to be the most 'prog-ey' period. Peter Gabriel (vocals/flute) is credited as being the 'good' Genesis while phil singing was 'bad' genesis but this isn't true at all - he just gets credit for 'prog-ey' influence since they became pop-oriented in the 1980s. But he left in 1975, and the five albums that followed (Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering, And then there were three, Duke, Abacab) are reaaaally reallllyyyy fantastic records. My favourite period.

more coming
>>
>>60768685
You're standing on it.
>>
>>60768685
idk
>>
>>60768685
its slightly acidic HEHE
>>
>>60767063
>Swans
This is my answer too desu. Getting into swans got me into a LOT of different music.
>>
pg. 99
>>
Elliott Smith. AMA
>>
>>60764108
Is it true that victoria is the queen mu needs?
>>
>>60765639
Brodie?
>>
>>60768758

favorite elliott smith album?

it better be s/t
>>
>>60768782
Tie between s/t and faboth

I know faboth isn't everyones favourite, but I love that era of music.

Also roman candle is very underrated.
>>
>>60768745
>desu

That's not what I typed desu
>>
File: 1441657921284.jpg (69 KB, 670x530) Image search: [Google]
1441657921284.jpg
69 KB, 670x530
>>60768339
>>60768709
2/2

My favourite Genesis member is definitely keyboardist Tony Banks. Favourite album is a toss-up between Wind and Wuthering, Duke, and the Lamb - but nowadays I would put them in that order. Sometimes depending on how I feel my order changes.

My favourite individual Genesis songs are Supper's Ready, The Musical Box, and One for the Vine. If you google search 'Best prog rock song,' Supper's Ready often shows up. It's 23 minutes long, a total masterpiece, and is about 8 songs put together with a few reprises at the end. fantastic listen - but maybe a little difficult for the beginning. Musical Box and One for the Vine are probably easier 'starter' tracks. The most typical "muh Peter Gabriel era only and I've only listened to one album twice but pretend to be an expert and Phil Collins sucks btw" song is Firth of Fifth, which is fantastic, but I find got boring fast.

Tony Banks is the best keyboardist ever and his contributions to songwriting are the fucking best.
Mike Rutherford has a lot of great moments but wrote so many terrible songs I just don't get it.
Peter Gabriel's voice is okay but I like a lot of the music he put out with them. He's a little weird, and whenever a song sounds like the lyrics don't fit, it's because of him.
Steve Hackett is a fantastic guitar player. Firth of Fifth, One for the Vine - nuff said.
Phil Collins - controversial because of his shitty later stuff, but he's an amazing musician. He really is one of the best drummers of all time - listen to the Lamb album and you'll know right away. Even The Musical Box - he's 21 when it was released - the drumming is phenomenal. And he has one of the best voices of all time - listen to Dodo/Lurker and Domino.

More coming, sorry for the autism
>>
>>60765878
Why do you think autechre took so long to put out a live album?
What do you think their next album is gonna be like?
Do you think they will ever break up?
>>
bad brains
or Marty Robbins
or Jacqueline Taïeb
or no one
>>
File: rvKFwxD.gif (499 KB, 498x286) Image search: [Google]
rvKFwxD.gif
499 KB, 498x286
>>60768709
>>60768914
Thanks for the info, anon. Ill be sure to check out Supper's Ready and Firth of Fifth.
>>
>>60768339
>>60768914

Albums -

1969 From Genesis to Revelations - doesn't even count. don't bother
1970 Trespass 7/10 - before Phil and Steve. Mike Rutherford's best friend Ant Phillips plays guitar on this record - and has a huge... 'pastoral' influence. This album is ESSENTIAL pasture-core - for more like it, listen to Ant Phillip's 1976 album The Geese and the Ghost. Last album with Ant and without Phil&Steve. Best song - Stagnation
1971 Nursery Cryme 7/10 - First w/ Phil and Steve. Some parts of the album are dodgy but the album is very noticeably prog AF. Phil sings 'For absent friends' on this album, he sings lots of backup from the beginning on, and they note that he sounds like Peter. Best track - The Musical Box.
1972 Foxtrot 8/10 - Much less dodgy parts. Lots of great moments from all members here, and the whole second half with 'Supper's Ready' is just phenomenal. Best track - obviously Supper's Ready
1973 Selling England By The Pound 8/10. Musically very good, tons of great tracks including Firth of Fifth, great solos from all members, but it's a bit dodgy at parts as well, a bit like Nursery Cryme. No track stands out as much on this album as on the previous ones. Best song - The Cinema Show
1974 - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway 9/10. Concept double album about a kid called Rael in new york who goes on a surreal trip. Fantastic album to listen to all in one go, or as background music. The album is a lot less 'busy' since they had some extra time to spread out. Lots of great sounds, but the concept is weak. The band was getting real tired of Pete's antics, he left after this album and they auditioned 200+people to sing before realizing Phil was the best. Best track - The Colony of Slippermen
1976 Trick of the Tail 7/10 - lots of people love this album, favourite of all time etc, but I'm not crazy about it. Lots of great soft songs, and great hard songs, it's just not for me. Best track - Squonk or Los Endos. at the end of the album...
>>
Children Of Bodom
>>
I mostly do Martinů and Schnittke
>>
>>60763003
good shit
>>60763017
shit band
>>60763038
shit band
>>60763070
generic trash
>>60763098
meh
>>60763124
?
>>60763132
?
>>60763149
Meh
>>60763161
Shit band
>>60763205
Shit artist
>>60763251
Shit artist
>>60763267
Shit band
>>60763304
Shit band
>>60763363
Shit artists
>>60763458
Shit bands
>>60763498
Shit bands
>>60763498
>>60763594
Shit band
>>60763598
Shit band
>>60763661
Shit band

>Bored now.
>>
4/???
>>60769035
not done yet lol

>>60768339
>>60768339
>>60769159
At the end of Trick, you can hear Phil singing the words to Supper's ready: "There's an angel standing in the sun..." , best ending to a Genesis album.
1976 Wind and Wuthering 9/10 - Tony dominated this album, and it's so melodic and almost romantic, yet still hard and soft at the same time. Beautiful. Phil's voice sounds like velvet chocolate semen on this album. 'Your Own Special Way (written by Mike) is a fucking horrible track though. Best track - One for the Vine.
1978 And then there were three 7/10 - unpopular album, still lots of good times on the album, everyone shines a little bit, first album without Steve Hackett. At this point, it's just the trio - no changes for over a decade. Sounds a bit like a mix between Duke, Wind and Wuthering, and Abacab, not too memorable but still sounds good. Best track - probably Many too many
1980 Duke 9/10 - This album is fucking awesome. It's their last real 'prog' album and simultaneously their first pop album. it's dominated by the 'Duke Suite,' six songs which were intended to be together (and done live together) but divided up on the album to avoid comparison to Supper's Ready. Includes great prog tracks such as Duke's Travels and great pop tracks such as Misunderstanding. A few boring songs though, or else it would be 10/10. Best track - the entire Duke suite (which can be found together on youtube)
1981 Abacab 8/10 - This album is a little less prog-ey but has tons of driving melodies, harsh sounds, hard and soft songs, and completely awesome vocals and harmonies. Best track - Dodo/Lurker (one of Phil's best singing tracks)
1983 Genesis 4/10 - some prog elements but now the band sounds like an 80s pop band. The song 'Mama' is fucking awesome though and is Phil's best vocal track. best track - Home by the Sea
1986 Invisible Touch - pop album. not prog-ey at all. best track - Domino. a good album for 80s pop though i guess
>>
>>60768339
>>60769381

1991 We Can't Dance 6/10 - it's okay, some good music, some bad music, production is pretty good, best track - Fading Lights which is actually pretty prog-ey.

All in all, best Genesis tracks -
Supper's ready
Musical Box
One for the Vine
Slippermen
Duke suite
In the cage
Dodo/Lurker

My recommendation, if I had to pick any, is a 1983 live version of a medley of old songs they did. Sounds awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_12_-jzqOlE
>>
>>60763642
>>60763793
this might be fake pasta, but its real fake pasta
>>
>>60769451
Im really digging this medley
>>
>>60768981
>Why do you think autechre took so long to put out a live album?
I think they've explained this before a bit, but essentially they believe the whole and certain aspects (ie a big soundsystem definitely create a more "brutal" physical reaction the darkness, spatial/atmospheric factors etc) lends itself to a more memorable experience - at least with their live material. Also they had trouble deciding how they would put it together, a few times they didn't even record their sets( they go into this more in their AMA). Finally, they felt like they were milking their fans for money and it made them uncomfortable.

>What do you think their next album is gonna be like?
They've spent the past 3 years rebuilding and reprogramming their system for this live tour, so I'd assume it would sound similar to AE_Live, or at least fundamentally since it'll most likely be the same configuration. You can never tell though from the accompanying tour tho, like the Oversteps live material was completely different from the album, however the Untilted live shows were quite similar to it's respective release.

Personally I want harder, more structured beats akin to Draft or Chiastic as opposed to the more watery percussion they've been doing on the past 3 or so albums.

>Do you think they will ever break up?
Not for a while off, especially since the way they work (emailing patches back and fork) is super efficient. But even if ae ends, Rob and Sean will probably always be making music in some format.
>>
File: 4850853963_d69b9abd44_b.jpg (384 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
4850853963_d69b9abd44_b.jpg
384 KB, 1024x512
>>60769736
Nice I'm glad!

In order:
In the Cage
The Cinema show (instrumental pt 1)
In this quiet earth (inst pt 2)
The Colony of Slippermen (inst pt 3)
Afterglow
>>
the members of the Screwed-Up Click
>>
>>60764850
You might like 94 Diskont by Oval. I haven't found too much like Pop either, it's one of a kind, really.
And yeah, the Mille version is definitely worth seeking out, as the Nah Und Fern version seems to have shorter or longer track times (which bugs the shit out of me desu) I'm not sure what Ruckverzuberang 10 is..?
Ruins I actually would rate fairly high in her discog. I really enjoyed it (my favorite album by her is probably Cover the Windows and the Walls)
>>60764656
Porya Hatami & Lee Anthony Norris - Everyday Feels Like A New Drug
Eluvium - Lambent Material
Cтyк Бaмбyкa B XI Чacoв - Лёгкoe дeлo хoлoд

reccing things similar to GAS and Grouper is kind of hard because they're both so unique sounding, which is why I love them so much
>>
>>60769803
What was Yungstar's name before he was Yungstar
>>
>>60770123
Jarvis Lemon
>>
The Avalanches

There's a lot more great shit other than Since I Left You ;)
>>
Not even joking, The Beatles
Also, Duster, Yo La Tengo. The latter two on a more strictly musical level.
>>
Used to be really into Ween like 3 years ago
>>
the incredible string band

electronic music from the ussr
>>
>>60763098
Sup
>>
>>60762984
Andrew Bird
>>
>>60762984
Deftones
>>
>>60770946
Excited for the reunion? :D
>>
File: cubee.jpg (66 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
cubee.jpg
66 KB, 640x427
Ask me some obscure stuff about the residents. If I don't know it I'll know where to find it.
>>
File: Sufjan's world.jpg (363 KB, 1280x921) Image search: [Google]
Sufjan's world.jpg
363 KB, 1280x921
>>60762984
I feel like I know quite a bit about Suffy but there's probably someone who knows more
>>
>>60762984

Autechre has already been mentioned, but I am a backup expert. I just took a count and I have 21 of their physical releases on my shelf; just came from a second lifetime USA concert from them. A fan almost 15 years.

Since a ctrl+f shows nothing, I'm going to go there. I will also hazard Aphex Twin, in a backup capacity. I've been rediscovering his stuff lately after a long absence, and I've purchased two newer items. A fan a bit longer than 15 years.

I really really like the above, but I don't know where they took a shit last tuesday or anything.

>>60764232

What do you know about Whitehouse and SPK's body of work? I've heard a few SPK things I really liked (and I probably already heard your go-to seminal tape, I honestly don't remember the name). Top 3 SPK pls. What do you think of Genocide Organ?
>>
>>60771035
Yee
>>
File: DodosGAMH.jpg (76 KB, 458x310) Image search: [Google]
DodosGAMH.jpg
76 KB, 458x310
The Dodos
>>
>>60763205
>Otomo Yoshihide
nice
>>
Paul McCartney, Cheap Trick, and Dead Kennedys more than likely.
>>
>>60767746
Fuck, I thought this thread died. I just read Heavier Than Heaven, and I know it's just written by some biographer but it seems like he knows his shit, and he cites his sources. It says he turned to heroin around that point in the book, and it makes sense. People get melodramatic when they break up with someone (get broken up with) and they turn to suicidal actions like doing heroin.

>>60768084
He's actually not full of shit. Kurt was really exaggerating, but he definitely did have those things to an extent. I'm not sure if he ever actually had a stomach ailment or if it was because of malnutrition. I've lived a very similar lifestyle to Kurt and his friends and have grown up around a lot of similar people. Buzz was kind of like an older brother figure to him, introducing him to so much music and image. He was always rough with the kid, and seeing his 'student' succumb to such pussy shit is an outrage. He's speaking out of tough love. I personally think there was no actual stomach ailment until he started really getting unhealthy in his mid 20's. Like I said, Kurt was a sociopath to an extent.
>>
>>60769555
What does that mean? I definitely typed that up. And to my knowledge, it's all true. Nice trips, btw
>>
>>60771188
hope they do an actual tour and not just colorado shows.
>>
Streetlight Manifesto
>>
none and i dont pretend to be
>>
>>60762984
Grateful Dead
>>
>>60768320
>legendary pink dots
if you're an expert can you please tell me what else sounds like them?
>>
File: baysidebird.jpg (68 KB, 1024x652) Image search: [Google]
baysidebird.jpg
68 KB, 1024x652
>>60762984
bayside
>>
>>60764110
i know more about phil than u
>>
>>60762984
Van Halen
>>
>>60763205
I might as well ask you even if you're probably gone by now: what are some of his best sound collage/turntable splicing works?
>>
>>60774367
Nothing really. They feel like they're making music in a vacuum, like they're musical progression is in a timeline that is completely detached from other music.
Anyway, Syd Barrett is the usual comparison. Later-era Coil too.
>>
Slint
>>
File: 1448144465339.png (49 KB, 158x194) Image search: [Google]
1448144465339.png
49 KB, 158x194
Machine Girl

fite me mate
>>
Mazzy Star
>>
The Clash

AMA
>>
>>60762984
yo momma's ass ohhh got him
>>
File: 1352075919306.png (246 KB, 400x406) Image search: [Google]
1352075919306.png
246 KB, 400x406
Psych rock/pop in general
>>
the frosted ambassador
>>
Father John Misty's dick
>>
Car Seat Headrest
>>
File: GET ON MY LEVEL.jpg (11 KB, 222x166) Image search: [Google]
GET ON MY LEVEL.jpg
11 KB, 222x166
[spoiler]Coldplay[/spoiler]

I own physical copies of all of their albums and I even pre-ordered their new one (coming out tomorrow) and I've heard every single and EP they've produced at least once.

AMA
>>
>>60762984
The artist formerly know as your mom.
>>
>>60762984
Swans.
>>
Snsd
>>
>>60767063
there's a difference between knowing things and having autism
>>
That one band that has that one song

it goes like DUDUDUDUDU DAAAAAAAAA
>>
The Chameleons, Pram, Talk Talk and Ride.
>>
jeromes dream
>>
Foo Fighters and Opeth

>Been following Foo Fighters since 97 and Opeth since 01
>seen both bands live 6+ times
>had VIP access to shows by both bands
>met and talked to most band members
>have stupid amounts of knowledge about both bands

Great bands, no matter what the /mu/ hivemind says.
Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.